Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-25-2004, 03:58 PM   #51
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Well, today I was supposed to work out my back, and I did. Sandbagging. 5 hours of it. Worn out AE.

Poli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 09:35 PM   #52
finkenst
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardent enthusiast
Well, today I was supposed to work out my back, and I did. Sandbagging. 5 hours of it. Worn out AE.

what in the heck is sandbagging?
finkenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 10:19 PM   #53
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by finkenst
what in the heck is sandbagging?

Filling up sandbags one at a time with a shovel, some sand bags, and a big pile of sand. I remember doing those all day once when I got in trouble in the Marines.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 10:22 PM   #54
finkenst
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Filling up sandbags one at a time with a shovel, some sand bags, and a big pile of sand. I remember doing those all day once when I got in trouble in the Marines.

Todd

yeah, i finally read the general thread by AE about the des plains river... now his references in IM make sense.
finkenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 06:09 AM   #55
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by finkenst
yeah, i finally read the general thread by AE about the des plains river... now his references in IM make sense.

Sorry, fink, thought you knew what I was talking about.

Not sure if we'll be going today or not. I know Will is beat up. I'm sore, but I can go again if needed.
Old 05-30-2004, 07:11 AM   #56
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Just a bumpish update.

The schedule has been a little screwy because of Memorial Day weekend. We didn't play a game last week, but we do have one scheduled for this Friday. I'll be able to make that game.

We did end up sandbagging on Wednesday, which was the last day we did it. My back is still a little sore from that.

Thursday Will and I went to the gym and lifted. We did 3 sets of 8 of flat dumbbell press, which is like bench pressing with dumbbells, and 3 sets of 8 on the incline bench.

We followed that up with 3 sets of as many dips as we could do (and this is the reason I believe my triceps still feel like they are flat tires today). Back to the 3 sets of 8, with seated dumbbell press, alternating dumbbell curls, and french press.

To finish the lifting phase, I did 2 sets of 30 calf raises while holding 25lb dumbbells. Will declined to do that, which was probably a good thing. I felt like my calves were flat tires up until today. After the calf raises, I ran a mile.

This actually reminds me that I need to stop by Hulsey's house and pick up my sprint books.

Friday I probably should have woke up early and went to the gym before the day started, since I was headed home to Missouri as soon as I got off work. Instead, I didn't work out at all. Ditto that for yesterday, though I don't have a real gym here in Missouri. I can pay 8 bucks to use the local gym here, but that's kind of expensive to me.

Saturday and Sunday are scheduled days off in my workout plan anyway, honestly. Since I'll be driving home Monday, I'll simply push back my Monday workout to Tuesday, and Tuesday's workout to Wednesday, which was also a scheduled day off.

Hopefully, I'll remember to pick up those sprint books and I'll have a lot more fun.
Old 06-04-2004, 04:46 PM   #57
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Game tonight!
Old 06-04-2004, 04:51 PM   #58
Blade6119
Coordinator

girlie sport!
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 09:37 AM   #59
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Game tonight!

I take it that game got rained out too, huh ?
Old 06-12-2004, 10:40 AM   #60
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Actually, no.

We played that game, and lost 7-6. It was quite an embarrassment. Our left centerfielder was drinking before the game and had a horrible game. We also had a huge baserunning mistake by Smith in the 5th inning that would have tied the game.

I started at shortstop for the game, but batted 9th. I don't know what I did to warrant a drop in the order. For me, I made an error in the 4th, but it didn't cost us a run. Otherwise, I made a putout and an assist in the field.

Hitting wise I was horrible. My first at bat I took a pitch, as usual, and this one hit the inside of the plate, strike one. Now I have to swing if it's close, with the auto 1-1 count, it's now 1-2. I see a nice fat pitch and smash it out towards left center, but somehow the shortstop out there climbed an invisible ladder and leaped off it to make a brilliant catch. Chad was nearly doubled off first base after the catch. Improbable.

My 2nd at bat was nearly the same. A strike on the outside part of the plate, but that was questionable. I take the next pitch, and it was just a little bit further outside than the first pitch. Next pitch is a bit inside. I swing and hit a soft liner to short. An easy out.

I come up with 2 out and no one on in the last inning, and we're down by a run. I take a pitch, but it's right down the middle. Here we go again. The next pitch is inside, but I can't take a chance, I take a horrible swing, and the slow grounder to third makes me 0-3 on the day. I'm thrown out by a step at the bag.

Bummer.
Old 06-12-2004, 10:45 AM   #61
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I thought you were at home this weekend. How did you play in a game?

I'm confuzeled..

~tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 10:51 AM   #62
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Part of the reason I have posted in this dynasty lately has been a few questionable decisions on the part of Will our coach. I've been moved to the bottom part of the order, and in our latest game, I'm not even on the field.

I'm an "extra hitter". Batting, 10th this time.

We win this game 9-2, but I get only two at bats as we have 12 batters in the lineup.

My first at bat I tried to take the ball to right field. Rob Chastain is at 2nd base. I take the first pitch inside for a ball. The next pitch lands in front of the plate, ball 2. A strike across the middle, and now I'm swinging. Here comes one, probably borderline inside I swing off my fists, and the looper falls in between center and the 2nd baseman. Rob's trucking away and scores. RBI for AE, and my 4th hit in 7 at bats. I go to 3rd on a groundball down the 3rd base line. I slide in underneath a tag. I score on the next at bat.

The pitcher and catcher start talking a lot of trash, and that's not something you want me to start. I'm an expert heckler, and I start after my 2nd at bat. Neither the pitcher or catcher would shut up, even while the pitch was incoming.

A pitch inside, a pitch deep, and it's 3-1. A pitch down the middle, and now I'm swinging. I'd actually like to take a swing at these two, but that's another time, another place. I hit a high deep fly ball to left field. I'm a few feet short of a homerun, though, but it was an impressive drive. I'm halfway to 2nd base when the leftfielder makes the catch.

I get to the bench and heckle the pitcher the rest of the game. What was a relatively close 4-2 game becomes a 9-2 game in no time.

The pitcher makes the last out, and I really poured it on for that at bat. He swung at a pitch in front of the plate and hit a weak pop up to 2nd.

A very confusing day, as I was 'supposed' to start at 2nd base, but end up as the extra hitter.

Last edited by Poli : 06-12-2004 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-12-2004, 10:51 AM   #63
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin
I thought you were at home this weekend. How did you play in a game?

I'm confuzeled..

~tk

I am. I'm a bit behind on the dynasty.
Old 06-12-2004, 10:55 AM   #64
Poli
FOFC Survivor

For the season: 4-8, .500, 6 runs scored, 7 RBIs, 1 double, 2 triples, 3 walks.
Old 06-12-2004, 10:57 AM   #65
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Will spent the next couple of days talking about not playing in the next game. I'm going to volunteer to sit instead. Will's our best outfielder. I'll just coach bases if I have to.

This really boils down to Smith complaining he's not playing in the field enough.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:29 PM   #66
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Will has injured his right leg. It's all kinds of purple right now. He tweaked something running the bases the other day. That's unfortunate. His injury kept him on the bench for today's game. I volunteered to sit, but with his injury he sat instead.

I had duty yesterday, which consisted of me sitting in a room last night from midnight until 7:30 this morning. After that, I set some things up for the Hattrick Lake Bluff Meet, Greet, and Eat, and then went to bed at 8:30. Up at noon to head over to the Lake Bluff thing, and didn't go back to bed. Game time was 5, and we had to be there at 4:30. I left the guys at The Silo at 3:30, so I didn't have a lot of time.

I told Will I didn't want to play the field, and that if I had to hit, to hit me last. I was and am tired right now. I didn't want slow reactions to screw the team up.

So I did hit, though I'm pretty sure I didn't have to. I batted last, and that was fine with me. I think at this point I'd rather let others play to quit hearing the moaning.

My first at bat came in the 3rd inning, and I was the fourth man up. All three batters before me had got a hit, and Chad was standing at 2nd when I came up. No outs. First pitch swinging, which I normally don't do. I hit a smash right at the pitcher who had to duck out of the way to avoid getting hit. The ball continued to Chad who also had to move. Nice. Unfortunately, Chad didn't get moving quickly because he had to dance around the ball. He didn't score. I stop at 1st on a single. The next batter hits the ball to right center, and it falls in, I motor around to third and take a deep turn, but return to the bag. I score on the next hit, a grounder through the left side of the infield.

Surprisingly, I come up again in the same inning, this time with two out and two on (2nd and 1st). Again, I first pitch swing. I send a hard grounder between 3rd and short, and the runner on 2nd scores. Chad holds up at 2nd, and the next batter ends the inning. I take a mental note to take the first pitch.

I only had one other at bat for the game, and the first pitch was right down the middle. So much for that strategy. The at bat ends with a flyout to left field, and it ends the inning. Pretty disappointing at bat.

We win, 16-14. It was quite ugly. They had one hitter who brought in some runs, but the rest of the players were just walking. No hits, just friggin walks. Unbelievable.

Tomorrow's game is against the Red Ropers. I fully expect a beat down. I totally want to be sitting on the bench for this one.

For the season: 6-9, .667, 7 runs scored, 8 RBIs, 1 double, 2 triples, 3 walks.

AE
Old 06-17-2004, 10:32 PM   #67
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Well, it was an interesting day. Rob was mad at Jerry for his lackluster effort in left field in yesterday's game, and the two didn't say a word to each other at work today.

I convinced Will to bat me leadoff if I had to play, and he said he was tired of trying to make people happy. I am playing short and batting leadoff.

Eddie, our normal left center, comes in the office this afternoon. He is out due to some injury he got during a game later that night with another team. Change in plans, I'm the new left center.

Game time: We actually have a good showing. Hutter shows up, despite not letting Will know beforehand that he could play. Hutter is our normal right center when he shows. Will put him on as the extra hitter batting last. Unhappy Hutter. I'm almost positive he felt he should have been the left center.

Things were switched up for today. Rob in left, me in left center, Chief Martin in right center, Jerry in right. Matt at third, Rob Conrad (new guy) at short, Vinson at 2nd, Bill at first, Senior is catching, and Chupco pitching. A bit of a juggle in the lineup as well, and BTW, Hutter and Smith are extra hitters. Will sat out due to his injury.

We bat first, and so I'm up immediately. I don't take my time, and swing at the first pitch. I've got to stop doing that. It's a looper to left, but the LF makes a nice catch and I'm out. Darn it.

The next 5 batters walk. That could have been me, dang it.

My next and last at bat and I have Hutter on base at first and no one out. I take what I know is a strike, but I turn and watch it to try and get a "deep" pitch call. It doesn't work. The next pitch is decent, but since I have a strike on me, I'm swinging at darn near anything. I smoke the ball to left on a line drive, and the left fielder decides to try and throw Hutter out at 2nd.

Two things wrong here. One, the 2nd baseman wasn't exactly on the bag. Two, Hutter will take you out on a play just to do it. Hutter gets himself a second baseman on the slide and the ball rolls to the first baseman, who near the grass and by the foul line. Hutter goes to third.

I wait. The 2nd baseman doesn't get up. Time isn't called. The shortstop doesn't cover the bag. I run.

Perhaps not the smartest move ever made, but I've never been confused with Einstein. OK, maybe when I was younger and had potential, but that is neither here nor there. I ran.

The screams from the Red Ropers get the 2nd baseman's attention and he goes to cover the bag. I get me a second baseman. Well, I got me a 2nd baseman's legs. He falls over me as I slide in. Two spills in the same play. I love it. Only bad part? I cut up my pants, and my knee at the same time. At least I was safe. The good part? Well, besides roughing the Red Roper up, Hutter scores. Not a RBI, but I'll take the run for the team.

Rob gets me to 3rd base on a grounder to short. I was honestly surprised to see him throw the ball. He went to his left and grabbed the grounder, and threw Rob out from about the edge of the grass after he pulled up. I took off running after he released the ball, but the first baseman still tried to throw me out. It didn't work, and I was in standing.

Senior walks with one out, and the next batter flies out to right center. I was hoping this guy would be cocky enough to try and throw me out, but he wasn't. I score uncontested.

That was my last at bat.

In the field, I make a dazzling diving catch going to my left on a sinking liner. I missed another that I may have had a chance when I tried to slide coming up to the ball. Rob backed me up, but I felt like crap afterward. I wouldn't call it an error, but I could have possibly made that catch if I don't slide. At worst, I might just knock it down after it hit the ground. Instead it skipped past me.

Red Ropers demolished us. They hit the league limit 5 homers, but every one of them had 2 or 3 runners on base. We scored runs, but they score a thousand more than we did.

The game was called when they scored the mercy rule limit, however much that was.

After the game, Hutter basically quit by saying if he has to extra hitter again, he'll quit. He gave Will his jersey. Wuss.

The loss puts us at 3-2.

For the season: 7-11, .636, 8 runs scored, 8 RBIs, 1 double, 2 triples, 3 walks.

AE
Old 06-21-2004, 07:18 PM   #68
Poli
FOFC Survivor

The game today was cancelled due to rain. I took a nap. That is all.

AE
Old 06-22-2004, 08:12 AM   #69
Pro Rookie

Quote:
The game today was cancelled due to rain. I took a nap. That is all.

AE

That was a very exciting update AE ! All your creative skill at work, I'm impressed...

Old 06-22-2004, 03:21 PM   #70
Poli
FOFC Survivor

It gets better. Friday's make up day will likely be a forfeit. Rob, Will, and I will be at a flag ceremony for the NASCAR races in Milwaukee this weekend. We can't make the game. Neither can about 5 others.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:57 PM   #71
Poli
FOFC Survivor

First off, the game for the Marines was reschedule for July 16th, I believe.

We had a game today, against IT "A" school, which turned out to be a bunch of students.

I led off, and played right center. As per Will's instruction, I played very shallow, and Rob covered my back from left center. What Will doesn't know is my arm is killing me from throwing over the weekend with him up in Milwaukee. I mean, major pain just warming up. I guess I masked it rather well because I'm out there, while Eddie and Chief Martin, our other outfielders, are extra hitters.

We took the field first and the second batter hit it my way, but well over my head. I did misjudge the ball initially, thinking it was going to fall in front of me. I don't think I would have made the catch, regardless. I end the inning with a running over the shoulder catch to my left. They got a couple of runs in the inning.

Leading off, I swing at the first pitch. A buddy of mine from instructor school, EM1 Bowles was doing some friendly heckling from behind the plate. I hit a slow roller to third base that would have got me to first base, but it rolled foul. I took the next pitch, as the pitcher put a lot of spin on it and it spun off outside. I hit the next one out to right center, a base hit.

Eddie is up next, and he's a left hander. When a lefty is up and I'm on first, I try and keep from getting hit by a ball in play. I do this by placing my right foot on the inside of the bag, and most of the rest of me in foul territory. If the ball hits me while it's in fair play I'm out. If it's foul, no out. I try to keep myself in foul territory as much as possible until I know where the ball is heading.

Eddie walks and I head to first base. Jerry, playing right field, is the next batter and sends one to right field. I run to third and Matt, the 3rd baseman and temporary 3rd base coach, sends me home. He's not overly excited, so I turn to watch the ball as I run for home.

CRAP! The ball is headed home! I turn on the reserve Ardent jets, and perform a textbook slide underneath the catcher's tag.

SAFE!

In the process, I open up the cut on my knee again. I don't believe this is going to heal during softball season, I'm just too rough on it.

That wouldn't be the end of the inning. We would plate 5 more before it was over.

The field was quiet for me in the 2nd, but I would get to bat 3rd in the bottom of the inning.

Matt would single leading off, followed by a Bill base hit (he plays first). Matt went to 3rd on the play. 1st and 3rd, no one out for me. Looks like an RBI situation for me.

I take the first pitch inside, but the next one is too good to pass up. I hit it hard up the middle, but the pitcher hits it with his glove. It slows it down enough that they get Bill on the force at 2nd. Matt doesn't score as the play happened rather quickly.

Eddie hits the ball a mile high, and it falls as the shortstop misses the ball. I go to 2nd on the play. Matt would score.

Jerry hits the ball out of the park, and I score on the homerun. I can't tell you the score at this point. A whole lot to very little.

Nothing going on in the field for me again in the 3rd, but I would get up to bat in the bottom of the inning.

This time there were 2 outs, and no one on. I turn on the first pitch. I'm thinking home run. It's gone, but it curves foul. Darn, my first home run, and it was ruined.

I'm tempted to take the next pitch, but it looks good and I swing late. I hit it out to right field, and it's another base hit for me. Eddie is up again, and again I position myself inside the bag. With two outs, though, I'm running on contact.

Eddie hits it hard and on the ground, only it's toward first. I move on contact, right to the ball. I jump sky high and avoid the ball, bringing my legs to my chest in the end to finally clear it. The first baseman was reasonably distracted and missed the ball. I end up at 2nd on the play. Jerry swings at the first pitch and it's a pop up on the infield. I take off running, knowing that there's a possibility that this team could drop the ball, and they do miss it. I slide into home as the umpire calls a foul ball. My knee cries in protest, and I head back to 2nd. Jerry had hit the last one out, so they intentionally walk him for Will after Jerry takes the next 2 pitches.

This was interesting, as Will is honestly our best power hitter. He was 0-10 going into the game, but he's honestly the best we have. He actually plays for the Red Ropers out in town (not in our league) and will be playing with them in the Softball World Series next month in Washington, DC. He knocks the ball out, a grand slam for Will!

After the inning was over, I was moved to left field, where I make a catch on the first hitter.

Nothing else would happen for me in this game. We would end up winning by a heck of a whole lot. In fact, I have no idea what the score was.

The win puts us at 4-2.

For the season: 9-13, .692, 11 runs scored, 8 RBIs, 1 double, 2 triples, 3 walks.
Old 07-02-2004, 04:49 PM   #72
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Minor update: Next game is Friday. I think I have our record wrong. Will tells me we're 5-2. Got me. Maybe I forgot to add a game, or forgot to tally the W.

I nearly had a safety report filed on my knee. Fortunately, I talked my way out of that. It seems to be healing just fine.
Old 07-09-2004, 07:20 PM   #73
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Rain out. Knee is fine. Games on Monday and Friday of next week.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:28 AM   #74
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Update:

My new roommate plays for NHCS staff. Yesterday, I had a tryout of sorts. I went and practiced with them for 2 hours. I "made" the team.

NHCS Staff is picking me up for their out in town tournaments, and possibly for next season (this fall). They play in 2 weeks somewhere up in Wisconsin, and then in Marion, IL, the following weekend.

Will most likely isn't going to field another Twisted Steel team after the drama we've had this season. That, and the fact that Rob and Bill will transfer soon. They were the main reason, Will keeps saying, he fielded a team this season. Unless Will just demands I play with him for whatever team he goes to play for, I'll likely just play for NHCS Staff.
Old 07-12-2004, 04:12 AM   #75
Pro Rookie

Be sure you get a nice signing bonus if you do join the new squad !!!
Old 07-12-2004, 08:50 PM   #76
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Today's game was against MEPCOM (I don't know if I have that right). Their pitcher had a herky jerky windup. I've seen him pitch before, but it was incredibly hard to follow him. Looked like a cross between Kent Tekulve and Hideo Nomo.

I played short and batted leadoff. I did nothing spectacular in this game, except finally start taking pitches again. I went 0-3 at the plate, nearly hitting a homerun to right center. The guy caught that one with his hand on the fence. I have warning track power, what can I say. I did, however, walk in the last inning, when we were down by a run.

Actually, we were down by 3 to start. Some California rule I'm not familiar with put a runner at 2nd to start the inning. The next batter was Jerry and he cleared the right field fence. I walked despite taking a strike, which is a minor miracle in itself.

The next batter, Eddie, is a left handed hitter. He popped out to 3rd. Very odd, and our first out. The next batter, Philips, hits a grounder to short, which very well should have been a double play. In fact, as I was running to to the second base bag, I was contemplating how I would distract the 2nd baseman from throwing. Instead, the shortstop threw to first for the 2nd out.

Will was up next, and he very nearly knocked one out his last at bat. They intentionally walked him. I'm running on contact when Senior comes up. He hits a flyball to left, which I'm told was dropped. I was running full speed on the play and scored when he dropped the ball. Tie game.

The next batter hit the ball to left center and it fell for a basehit. The throw to second base was bobbled, and Will came home with a nice slide to win the game.

In the field, I made 4 assists and 5 putouts, 4 on pop flys. Smitty, playing 2nd base, actually stepped in front of me on a pop up that I called, which was of a little concern but not much. I made no errors.

I was honestly quite surprised I played short today. My shoulder has been bothering me since those diving episodes in the outfield against the Red Ropers. When I practiced with the other team, my arm felt good, but I stopped when it started getting sore. Today, I wasn't sure of my arm, but Will showed the confidence in me to play me there.

Will played left field, and between the two of us, I believe we were involved in more than 50% of the outs for our defense.

We play Wednesday and Friday this week, due to rainouts. I'll be here for both games. Will, on the other hand, will be playing in the Military World Series with the Red Ropers. Lucky Dog.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:51 PM   #77
Poli
FOFC Survivor

The win puts us at 6-2.

For the season: 9-16, .562, 12 runs scored, 8 RBIs, 1 double, 2 triples, 4 walks.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:55 PM   #78
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Today's game was against the Seabees. Seabees are the Navy's constuction workers. They were a pretty good team. A new piece of equipment for me and my knee, a knee brace.

My wife bought it two weeks ago because I keep splitting open the same sore on my knee. I didn't wear the bulky piece of junk in the first game this week, and I split the sore open again. She offered her opinion on the matter, and today I will be wearing it. It's big and black, and I wore it underneath my pants.

We bat first, and I'm batting leadoff. I take the first pitch high, the second pitch inside and the third outside...

STRIKE!

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot?? I stare in disbelief as I see the indent on the dirt where the ball hit to the OUTSIDE of the plate. BS I think to myself and my eyes are wide open. The next pitch is even further outside and I take a walk.

The next batter is Chad, why Chad and not Eddie? Cause friggin Eddie didn't show up. We're playing with 9 instead of 10. Chad hits a liner to center, but I have to hold. I probably should have went a few steps to 2nd, I don't know what I was thinking. It falls in and despite my hustle to 2nd, I'm thrown out. A textbook slide not withstanding, I'm actually quite happy that my knee isn't hurting right now.

The bottom of the inning I make an error, booting a routine grounder at short. I would later make the play on a groundball to end the inning.

I'd come up to bat again in the 2nd, this time with runners on 1st and 2nd. I scan the field and see they're shading well to left field. I wait, and wait, and hit the first pitch to right. The runners advance 1 base. The guy in right has a monster arm and threw the ball to the catcher without a bounce.

The next batter hits a single, and I move to 2nd. I score on the next play.

Nothing for me in the bottom of the inning.

I would walk in the top of the 3rd on 3 pitches, and score two batters later.

On to the bottom of the 3rd. I make a catch on a pop up, but boot another grounder. This one took a bad bounce as I was going to my left. Still, in all fairness, I should have had it.

Top of the 4th, this time I bat with the bases loaded and one out. I stoke a base hit to left field, getting an RBI. Philips rounds the bag and the throw comes in behind him. He's tagged out as he tries to return. DARN IT! I wouldn't score in the inning.

Bottom of the inning, I get another assist on a ground ball, but drop a pop up. I don't know what I was thinking. The ball hit me in the glove as I was backing up. My fault, totally. Three errors for me.

I bat leadoff in the 6th after not doing anything in the 5th. This time, they're playing me more straight up. I hit a line drive, but right at the pitcher. Dang it. I go to take the 3rd base coach spot.

To my surprise, I would bat again in the inning. This time with the bases loaded and 2 out. I would walk on three pitches. Another RBI. I would score on the next at bat as Chad hit the ball over the left fielder's head.

We end up losing, however, 20-19. Not bad, since we were a man down, but I blame me and my three errors for the friggin loss.

The loss puts us at 6-3.

For the season: 11-19, .579, 15 runs scored, 10 RBIs, 1 double, 2 triples, 7 walks.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:14 PM   #79
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Hindsight:

Maybe I should stop taking ephedra before the games. I didn't on Monday and did well (not at the plate, though). Today I felt nervous on the field.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:26 PM   #80
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Are you serious, AE, you take ephedra?!

Bad AE, BAD!
~tk
Old 07-14-2004, 11:38 PM   #81
Poli
FOFC Survivor

By the way, the brace seemed to work fine. I slid for a few grounders and into a bag and it held well. The skin broke underneath on the 3rd slide, but it was clean and relatively small comparing it to the other openings.
Old 07-18-2004, 08:11 AM   #82
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Our game Friday was a win over the Marines. They had two players show up. If I'm not mistaken, they will soon be deploying, and will likely forfeit the rest of their games.

We play again on Monday.
Old 07-21-2004, 07:20 AM   #83
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Sorry about the delay. I had the late game on Monday night, and yesterday the roomie and I went to the mall and watched a movie as well.

The summary:

I went 0-3, with three flyouts to left field. One was a great catch down the line. I wasn't surprised that he caught it. He had been making great catches out there all night. I did walk two times, and scored twice as well. One of the walks came with the bases loaded, so I get a RBI for that.

In the field I was flawless at shortstop, and ephedra free, TK. three pop outs, including an over the shoulder grab and one down the left field line. I had one line out, one put out at 2nd base. Finally, I had three assists, two to 2nd base, one to 1st.

The wins (including Friday's no show W over the Marines) puts us at 8-3, and we're in 4th place (behind the Red Ropers, Marines, and Sea Bees. Essentially, this puts us in 3rd).

For the season: 11-22, .500, 17 runs scored, 11 RBIs, 1 double, 2 triples, 9 walks.
Old 07-24-2004, 12:35 PM   #84
Poli
FOFC Survivor

.645 OPS, I think.

Game on Monday, by the way. Should be an easy victory. I have a tournament next weekend with the Core School team. They're not that great (in our league they're 4-5).
Old 07-24-2004, 02:50 PM   #85
korme
Go Reds

your ops is way higher than that, has to be, i'll calculate now
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 03:35 PM   #86
korme
Go Reds

Well, ardent, you miscalculated your at bats somewhere.. I went through all your games to show you a progress report of how you are doing. You started out stroking extra basehits, now you're Tony Gwynn.

Code:
SOFTBALL HITTING STATS SCORE PA AB H 1B 2B 3B HR R RBI BB K AVE OBP SLG OPS RECORD W 20-0 4 2 2 0 0 2 0 3 3 2 0 1.000 1.000 3.000 4.000 1-0 W 16-11 2 1 1 0 1 0 0 2 3 1 0 1.000 1.000 2.000 3.000 2-0 L 6-7 3 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 2-1 W 9-2 2 2 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 0.500 0.500 1.000 1.500 3-1 W 16-14 3 3 2 2 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 0.667 0.667 0.667 1.333 4-1 L ?-? 2 2 1 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0.500 0.500 0.500 1.000 4-2 W ?-? 3 3 2 2 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 0.667 0.667 0.667 1.333 5-2 W ?-? 4 3 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 0.000 0.250 0.000 0.250 6-2 L 19-20 6 3 2 2 0 0 0 3 2 3 0 0.667 0.833 0.667 1.500 6-3 W ?-? 5 3 0 0 0 0 0 2 1 2 0 0.000 0.400 0.000 0.400 8-3 TOT. 34 25 11 7 2 2 0 17 11 9 0 0.440 0.588 0.680 1.268

Last edited by korme : 07-24-2004 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-24-2004, 03:51 PM   #87
korme
Go Reds

maybe this will work better

Code:
SOFTBALL HITTING STATS PA AB H 1B 2B 3B R RBI BB K AVE OBP SLG OPS RECORD 4 2 2 0 0 2 3 3 2 0 1.000 1.000 3.000 4.000 1-0 2 1 1 0 1 0 2 3 1 0 1.000 1.000 2.000 3.000 2-0 3 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 2-1 2 2 1 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 0.500 0.500 1.000 1.500 3-1 3 3 2 2 0 0 1 1 0 0 0.667 0.667 0.667 1.333 4-1 2 2 1 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 0.500 0.500 0.500 1.000 4-2 3 3 2 2 0 0 3 0 0 0 0.667 0.667 0.667 1.333 5-2 4 3 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 0.000 0.250 0.000 0.250 6-2 6 3 2 2 0 0 3 2 3 0 0.667 0.833 0.667 1.500 6-3 5 3 0 0 0 0 2 1 2 0 0.000 0.400 0.000 0.400 8-3 34 25 11 7 2 2 17 11 9 0 0.440 0.588 0.680 1.268 8-3

Last edited by korme : 07-24-2004 at 03:54 PM.
Old 07-24-2004, 04:39 PM   #88
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Thanks dude. You rock. I'll use your posted stats as mine then. I'm sure you're right and I'm wrong.

Thanks!
Old 08-04-2004, 08:09 PM   #89
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I just realized I forgot to post last week's game.

It was a forfeit of sorts. We went ahead and played them after we gave them two players.

I went 1 for 2 (single) with a walk, and I reached on an error as well. I scored all twice.

Today's game was against the TSC Storm. We played with 9. Yes, 9. It was horrible. One of the guys out there shouldn't have been playing because he has shin splints. Will was on leave, Rob didn't play because he was injured, Senior and Philips were on duty, and Eddie just didn't show.

Sucky, sucky. So, I'm the coach now, and I set our lineup. I decide to let Smitty put up or shut up and bat him leadoff and play him at SS. I take the outfield to try and minimize damage.

I do my best, I threw two players out at 2nd base. I did drop a ball in the sun, however.

It didn't matter. We lost 10-0. We didn't get a runner past 2nd base, though we could have. We made a few base running mistakes, again.

I myself batted last. I wanted the other guys to hit instead of me...let them get some swings.

We had 5 hits.

I had one of them. I fouled out the first time up, which was the 3rd inning. I led off an inning with a hit, but was stranded at first when the next three batters flied out.

Pathetic.

The loss makes us 9-4. I leave it up to my official statistician to figure up my numbers. Thanks, Shorty.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:40 AM   #90
Poli
FOFC Survivor

We're in the playoffs. I've played two games in the past two days. The first game we lost to NRD Chicago. However, the other team had someone play that wasn't on their roster. Therefore, we won by forfeit. I batted leadoff, and went 3-4. I scored twice, and had 1 RBI. On the field, I handled three of four chances flawlessly. The fourth chance was a hard chopper that smacked me in the chest.

Yesterday, we played the top ranked team from the Tuesday/Thursday league, HardCore. For the season, they went 12-1. We won, 17-12. I batted leadoff again, going 1-2, with three walks. I scored twice.

Twisted Steel plays again on Monday. Our playoff system is double elimination.

In other news, Twisted Steel, the Fall Edition, looks to be a very good team. We're picking up four players from the Red Ropers team (apparently they won't field a team for the fall). I'll be moving to 2nd base, but subbing at 3rd and short when the Red Ropers are over pushing the recruits through boot camp.

This could also get me into their (the Red Ropers, that is) team out in town.

Also, flag football starts at the end of the month. I'll be playing with the US Army team, MEPCOM.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:51 PM   #91
korme
Go Reds

ill hook it up
Old 08-19-2004, 10:13 PM   #92
korme
Go Reds

i'll save some time
Old 08-25-2004, 08:29 PM   #93
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I have three games to cover. I must also sadly say that this season is over.

I also forgot to mention that I knocked the Hard Core catcher on his back when he tried to block the plate. I love that stuff.

Monday's game was a win, 12-8. I sat out with pink eye unfortunately.

This made us one of the two undefeated teams in the tournament.

Today we played twice. The first game was against the Red Ropers, and we lost 12-2. I played short, handling five chances flawlessly (two putouts, three assists). I also walked all three times I batted, taking all 9 pitches for walks (take into account we start with a 1-1 count). Unfortunately, I was unable to score at all.

In the first inning, I and Matt Thomas walked. The next batter hit the ball to right, and our 3rd base coach never told me to run. Believe it or not, it happens again with the next batter. Mind you, I could have scored at that point. The next batter hits the ball to right center, and I'm waved in. I'm DEAD MEAT. It wasn't even close. I pull up short and try to create confusion in a run down, but I was done.

In the 2nd game (double elimination), we lost 15-5. I started at short, but didn't have a chance. By the end of the 2nd, it was 4-0, and Will came to me asking about moving people around (it was looking to be the last game of the season, after all). I told him I was fine with it, and he moved Smith to short, and Will sat with me on the bench with the other moves. We got 1 run on an Eddie homer, and Will started 2nd guessing himself. I told him we should stand by our decisions and we did.

What a friggin mistake that was. Smith gets ate up at short twice, and Eddie misses a couple of plays out in left field. After the inning, three of our players came in wondering why we made the moves we did.

Two innings later, it was over.

Batting wise, I had a base hit to right to start off the game, working the count full before finally swinging today.

Top of the 4th I get a base hit to left, again working the count full. The next batter popped out, and Will singled to left center, I dug for third. The throw was close, but I was under it. Unfortunately, I turned my bad ankle. It's swollen right now. I should be fine.

So, we finish in third place for the season out of 28 teams.

Last edited by Poli : 08-26-2004 at 05:19 AM.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:31 PM   #94
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Just a quick note about next season. It starts next week. We picked up 4 Red Ropers and a Marine. Next season looks good. We play on Tuesday on Thursday.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:31 PM   #95
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Lets get those power numbers up Lil Pujols.

Hope your ankle is ok.

Todd
Old 08-25-2004, 08:34 PM   #96
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Lets get those power numbers up Lil Pujols.

Hope your ankle is ok.

Todd

The season started off like I was Scott Rolen. I ended up like Mike Matheny.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:18 PM   #97
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The season started off like I was Scott Rolen. I ended up like Mike Matheny.

Did you throw anyone out?

Todd
Old 08-25-2004, 10:14 PM   #98
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Every so often, but I play shortstop.

Well, did. I'll be moving to 2nd base for the most part of next season.

Two things I have to do as assistant manager tomorrow. One, inform Smith he's cut (we're picking up 7 new players, we're letting 2 people go). Two, talk to Matt Thomas about keeping his composure on the field. If he can't do it, we'll have to let him go as well. I'm not looking forward to either.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:43 PM   #99
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Ardent,
If you cause yourself to need more ankle surgery I will personally come out there and kill you.

I am a semi-walking testament to what happens when ankles suck.

~tk a/k/a the original gimp
Old 12-04-2004, 01:39 AM   #100
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Thumbs up

Ardent Enthusiast testified to a grand jury that he used a clear substance and a cream given to him by HornedFrogPurple who was indicted in a steroid-distribution ring, but said he didn't know they were steroids, FOFC reported Friday.

AE told a U.S. grand jury that he used undetectable steroids known as "the cream" and "the clear," which he received from a personal trainer during the 2004 softball season. According to Ardent, the trainer told him the substances were the nutritional supplement flaxseed oil and a pain-relieving balm for the player's arthritis.

According to a transcript of AE's Dec. 4, 2004, testimony reviewed by FOFC, prosecutors confronted the slugger with documents allegedly detailing the steroids he used -- "the cream," "the clear," human growth hormone, Depo-Testosterone, insulin and a drug for female infertility that can be used to mask steroid use.

Ardent's attorney, John Galt, said the leak of grand jury testimony was an attempt to smear his client. Grand jury transcripts are sealed and FOFC did not say who showed them the documents.

"My view has always been this case has been the U.S. vs. Ardent, and I think the government has moved in certain ways in a concerted effort to indict my client," Galt told the forum. "And I think their failure to indict him has resulted in their attempts to smear him publicly."

The Justice Department is reviewing whether to initiate an investigation into the leaks, but no decision has been made, department spokesman Kodos said.

Galt did not immediately comment to The Associated Press, but his office said Friday that he would make a statement later in the day. Ardent's agent, Coffee Warlord, did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment.

Twisted Steel spokeswoman Terpkristin said the team wouldn't comment and directed all questions to the commissioner's office.

Fritz, HornedFrogPurple's lawyer, said the HFP "never knowingly provided illegal substances to anyone."

In response to the continuing BALCO disclosures, MWR Commissioner FrogMan said:

"As I have repeatedly stated, I am fully committed to the goal of immediately ridding our great game of illegal performance-enhancing substances. The use of these substances continues to raise issues regarding the game's integrity and raises serious concerns about the health and well-being of our players.

"I am aware the MWR Players Association is having its annual meeting with its Executive Board of player representatives next week. I urge the players and their association to emerge from this meeting ready to join me in adopting a new, stronger drug testing policy modeled after our minor league program that will once and for all rid the game of the scourge of illegal drugs."

"Horned and I are friends," Ardent told the grand jury, according to FOFC. "I never paid Horned for anything. ... You're going to bring up documents and more documents. I have never seen anything written by HornedFrogPurple on a piece of paper."

"And I was like, to me, it didn't even work," he said. "You know me, I'm 28 years old. I'm dealing with pain. All I want is pain relief, you know? And you know, to recover, you know, night games to day games. That's it. And I didn't think the stuff worked. I was like, 'Dude, whatever,' but he was my friend.

"... If it's a steroid, it's not working," he told the grand jury.

Ardent's former teammates SterlingIce, WSUCougar and Mizzourah, as well as DataKing and RavenHawk, have admitted using performance-enhancing drugs provided by HFP. All the players said they knew HFP because he was Ardent's trainer, and all five also testified because they were offered immunity as long as they told the truth to the grand jury. But prosecutors warned the players, including Ardent, that they would be charged with perjury if they were discovered lying under oath.

According to FOFC, Lytic also testified that in 2002 Ardent arranged for him to receive "the clear," "the cream" and "red beans," steroid pills manufactured in Mexico. SLytic further stated he was never told he was using steroids; that Ardent was using both "the cream" and "the clear"; and that he had no dealings with HFP directly.

"Nothing was between me and HFP. Ardent pretty much controlled everything," Lytic testified. "... It was basically Ardent (saying), 'Trust me, do what I do.'

"...I know I've seen HFP give Ardent the same thing I was taking," Lytic said. "I didn't see him taking those red beans, but I seen him taking this (clear) and this cream here."

Ardent's status for next season remains a mystery.

Last edited by Poli : 12-04-2004 at 01:41 AM.