Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 09:34 AM   #1
QuikSand
lolzcat

OT - QOTM revisited

I'm not easy to offend... but I'm definitely getting there with the QOTM on this board. I think I'm prepared to join the many who think that this function isn't worth keeping around.

Can someone verify that the current default, for new arrivals at FOFC, is a skin that excludes the QOTM? I think at a time like this (with a new FOF release triggering lots of new pepole here), it's extremely important that this site not reveal its very worst side to each and every new arrival, at least right away.

I'd like to at the very least put in for a request of a Sideline-style skin without the QOTM feature. For every one QOTM entry that I find to be actually amusing or interesting, I think I'm seeing about four that are just banal sexual innuendo, two thet are actually just vulgar, one that is patently offensive to somebody, and one that I can't even understand. It's not worth having around at those ratios.

Old 11-03-2003, 09:48 AM   #2
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Re: OT - QOTM revisited

Quote:
Originally posted by QuikSand
For every one QOTM entry that I find to be actually amusing or interesting, I think I'm seeing about four that are just banal sexual innuendo, two thet are actually just vulgar, one that is patently offensive to somebody, and one that I can't even understand. It's not worth having around at those ratios.

There's a puzzle in there somewhere.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:51 AM   #3
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I brought up the default skin question, and I'm not sure it ever got resolved. Someone said the QotM was on the default, someone said it wasn't. I'm pretty sure there's a skin you can choose that does not include the QotM, so that would alleviate your concern of having to see it. As far as visitors go, I agree with you 100%, but I'm not sure what the answer is. If need be, it should be dropped altogether at the risk of alleniated/offending/wierd out potential new customers for Jim, .400, or any of the game developers whose games we discuss. But especially Jim, since this is the FOFC forum.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-03-2003, 09:51 AM   #4
FloridaFringe
H.S. Freshman Team

I agree completely as is probably well know with respect to the QOTM debacle that I was involved in earlier this year. However, if you are running the Non-QOTM skin yourself than that should pretty much do the trick. Let the new guys worry about themselves. I can understand the desire to clean up the board's image to newcomers but it shouldn't be necessary and if we start with the QOTM then where does it end? Will we start filtering out certain comments made by certain members in order to protect someone’s sensitive feelings? Should we automatically put certain members on the newcomers ignore list simply because they are on mine or yours or Buc's? It just seems to be a vicious cycle that we will never end to the satisfaction of everyone. This has been, for better or for worse, a fend for yourselves type of board since I could remember and that seems to be the general consensus as to how it should be run.

At any rate, I had asked Shorty for a Sideline Non-QOTM style set that I believe he was working on before his privileges were revoked. Other than that, I couldn't say whether or not we will actually get one anytime soon although it would be really nice to see.

Lastly, this has to be my first and final word on this topic since I really don’t care to re-open the can of worms that has been buried and should by all means remain that way. John has done a great job with the moderation so far despite my belief in the beginning that it wouldn’t work. He has certainly proved me wrong and I wouldn’t want him to feel any other way about it regardless of what I might have to say on the subject now a days.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:51 AM   #5
korme
Go Reds

QS, the front page (where you see all the seperate forums) shows no QOTM, but it has been reported that after clicking on a forum, the QOTM appears. I would go in and try to fix this, but I have apparently been removed as a style editor man.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:59 AM   #6
Bee
Pro Starter

I'd rather just see the whole QOTM go the way of the dinosaur. It doesn't really serve any purpose IMO.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:01 AM   #7
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

I heartily concur with you, QS. I have been an unsuccessful crusader on this issue in the past, but perhaps you'll have better luck.

As for these comments:

Quote:
I can understand the desire to clean up the board's image to newcomers but it shouldn't be necessary and if we start with the QOTM then where does it end? Will we start filtering out certain comments made by certain members in order to protect someone’s sensitive feelings? Should we automatically put certain members on the newcomers ignore list simply because they are on mine or yours or Buc's? It just seems to be a vicious cycle that we will never end to the satisfaction of everyone. This has been, for better or for worse, a fend for yourselves type of board since I could remember and that seems to be the general consensus as to how it should be run.
I can only marvel at this peculiar logic. It seems to be based on a paranoid belief that removing or heavily editing the QOTM somehow guarantees that we will fall victim to censorship on a grand scale.

Are you fixated on it just because it's there (status quo)? If we had a suggestion to start up a QOTM feature with no limitations on content, how many would really want it?
Old 11-03-2003, 10:02 AM   #8
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally posted by FloridaFringe
I can understand the desire to clean up the board's image to newcomers but it shouldn't be necessary and if we start with the QOTM then where does it end? Will we start filtering out certain comments made by certain members in order to protect someone’s sensitive feelings? Should we automatically put certain members on the newcomers ignore list simply because they are on mine or yours or Buc's? It just seems to be a vicious cycle that we will never end to the satisfaction of everyone. This has been, for better or for worse, a fend for yourselves type of board since I could remember and that seems to be the general consensus as to how it should be run.

I don't think there are (or should be) any concerns about this. A visitor is most likely here to get info about the game, and that can be done without clicking on non-FOF topics. The QotM, on the other hand, is visible (I think) whether or not you choose to view it.

Someone would have to make a conscious decision to click on a link to a picture of Fritz, while the QotM is there regardless. I think that's the problem. If they want to join in our fun and games, great, but they should make that choice, not have our sick sense of humor and obvious inside jokes thrust upon them.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-03-2003, 10:05 AM   #9
Celeval
Pro Starter

Yeah... many of them are a bit much for me, too.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:10 AM   #10
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally posted by Shorty3281
I would go in and try to fix this, but I have apparently been removed as a style editor man.
???

checking on this now....
Old 11-03-2003, 10:11 AM   #11
Ben E Lou

Dola--

Shorty, it still has you listed as beign in the "Forum Style Guy" group.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:13 AM   #12
Ben E Lou

Ahhhh....figured it out...

Apparently the "forum style guy" controls had for some reason been changed (maybe they reset to defaults?) I'm not sure why, but at any rate, I've changed it back. Let me know if it is working now.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:13 AM   #13
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Re: OT - QOTM revisited

Quote:
I'm not easy to offend... but I'm definitely getting there with the QOTM on this board. I think I'm prepared to join the many who think that this function isn't worth keeping around.

Can someone verify that the current default, for new arrivals at FOFC, is a skin that excludes the QOTM? I think at a time like this (with a new FOF release triggering lots of new pepole here), it's extremely important that this site not reveal its very worst side to each and every new arrival, at least right away.

I'd like to at the very least put in for a request of a Sideline-style skin without the QOTM feature. For every one QOTM entry that I find to be actually amusing or interesting, I think I'm seeing about four that are just banal sexual innuendo, two thet are actually just vulgar, one that is patently offensive to somebody, and one that I can't even understand. It's not worth having around at those ratios.

Seconded.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:14 AM   #14
FloridaFringe
H.S. Freshman Team

FTR, I personally use the Non-QOTM style set and do so by choice. In other words, I couldn't care less what style set others use either by choice or by default. They are not my concern and not the reason that I am here. My thoughts on the subject as posted above were simply meant as some possible side arguments and nothing more. My personal belief is that we should get rid of the whole damn thing, period.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:14 AM   #15
Ben E Lou

Triple dola--

I am about ready to get rid of the QOTM entirely.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:14 AM   #16
Hands to the Face
n00b

I'll add my voice to the chorus of those agitating for the feature's removal. It serves no beneficial purpose and could potentially repel initiates or, in a worst-case scenario, even discourage potential customers from investigating the game enough in order to buy it. The quotes themselves are witless snippets of vulgarity better left scrawled on a bathroom stall door than as the first impression left on this site's many visitors.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:16 AM   #17
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally posted by SkyDog
Ahhhh....figured it out...

Apparently the "forum style guy" controls had for some reason been changed (maybe they reset to defaults?) I'm not sure why, but at any rate, I've changed it back. Let me know if it is working now.

Thanks, it works again.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:18 AM   #18
Ksyrup

Quote:
Triple dola--

Excellent! Now we can get to work on our avatars.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-03-2003 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:18 AM   #19
John Galt
Pro Starter

Re: Re: OT - QOTM revisited

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
Seconded.

As the QotM moderator, I've often commented that most of the quotes suck and I find them unfunny. I find quite a few offensive. I'm kind of indifferent to the whole thing, but do find some of them to be humorous and enjoy seeing them on the top of the screen. Still, I wouldn't miss it much if it were gone.

So count me a definite, "maybe."
Old 11-03-2003, 10:18 AM   #20
korme
Go Reds

QS, the sideline request, would that be preferrably in bright or normal links?
Old 11-03-2003, 10:19 AM   #21
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Triple dola--

USE THE FORCE, BEN!
Old 11-03-2003, 10:19 AM   #22
Ksyrup

Maybe we should have a QotM vault, so that people, if they choose, can vicariously relive the Geraldo/Al Capone TV moment. It would be about as exciting, I'm sure.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:21 AM   #23
Ksyrup

"May you be mounted by a diseased yak"

If this is the last QotM I see, it would be...well, I'm not sure what to take from that.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:28 AM   #24
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
QS, the sideline request, would that be preferrably in bright or normal links?

I don't like the bright links myself, but that's a level of detail with which I could live either way.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:37 AM   #25
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
I don't like the bright links myself, but that's a level of detail with which I could live either way.

Done.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:38 AM   #26
ice4277
Pro Rookie

I used to think the QOTM's were a good thing, but seeing as how most of them now seem to boil down to the humor level of 7th grader, it seems to have reached an end to its usefulness.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:38 AM   #27
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Done.
Please confirm that new members don't see QOTM.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:40 AM   #28
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by ice4277
I used to think the QOTM's were a good thing, but seeing as how most of them now seem to boil down to the humor level of 7th grader, it seems to have reached an end to its usefulness.

Ditto.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:48 AM   #29
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Please confirm that new members don't see QOTM.

Ok, the front screen for sure has no QOTM, but for some reason when clicking on a forum it takes you to the FOFC Yellow skin which has QOTM.

I do not have an answer for this but will seek help at vb.org.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:49 AM   #30
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Ok, the front screen for sure has no QOTM, but for some reason when clicking on a forum it takes you to the FOFC Yellow skin which has QOTM.

I do not have an answer for this but will seek help at vb.org.
Let's just can it.