Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-08-2018, 07:49 AM   #51
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I understand but I wonder if we should hold such a position any different than any others in the job market? He did not break or renege on a contract (which would be a legal offense, I presume), he just changed his mind at the last minute - just like you and I and many others have experienced when we hire or try to hire or know of hirings that fall through. Just because this is more public than my company filling an IT spot or your college filling an associate spot, should it be different?

DeAndre Jordan got crushed in some circles for doing a similar thing to the Mavs a couple of years ago.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:23 AM   #52
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Oh, sure, Jordan took some flak for that, but at least now he gets to suit up every night alongside stars like Chris Paul and Blake Griffin.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:14 AM   #53
molson
General Manager

The rules of professional courtesy seem a lot different in the NFL than most businesses. I guess at some level I get that, it's more cut throat, there's not much job security, there's a ton of competition for every job, so there's a mentality among coaches and players that you have to get yours however you can no matter how that impacts anyone else. Even in that world this seems over the top, but, who the hell knows what his motivations are.

Edit: It is kind of amusing how most of us are expected to follow these rules of courtesy, to consider the impact of our choices on others, etc, but millionaire athletes and coaches normally are expected to put themselves first at any cost, "It's a business!"

Last edited by molson : 02-08-2018 at 10:20 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:29 AM   #54
Logan
Head Coach

Then again, if the NFL's rules weren't what they are, McDaniels signs his contract with the Colts a few weeks ago and then officially takes over as HC the day after the Super Bowl.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:36 PM   #55
Logan
Head Coach

Mike Garafolo‏
@MikeGarafolo

The 49ers and QB Jimmy Garoppolo have agreed to a five-year, $137.5 million contract, source says. The biggest deal in NFL history on a average-per-year basis.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:45 PM   #56
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Smart by 49ers. He’s your guy going forward. Don’t play games. Look professional and committed to winning for upcoming FAs.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:55 PM   #57
BishopMVP
Coordinator

They also have a metric ton of current cap space and basically no money tied up long term outside of Solomon Thomas San Francisco 49ers Player Contracts, Salaries, & Transactions | Spotrac

Like any QB contract it'll be interesting to see if there are any spots the team can move on after year 3 or 4 without a huge cap penalty, but the Niners were certainly in a position where there was no need to pinch dollars early in the contract. (That'll also be interesting - I wonder if they'd be the first NFL team I can think of to push for a flat contract given their cap situation and hope that they'll have enough talent to be up against the cap 3-4 years down the line.)

It also looks like Josh McCown has now been passed for the most lucrative 5 game QB stretch in league history!

Last edited by BishopMVP : 02-08-2018 at 12:55 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 02:30 PM   #58
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
That'll also be interesting - I wonder if they'd be the first NFL team I can think of to push for a flat contract given their cap situation and hope that they'll have enough talent to be up against the cap 3-4 years down the line.)

I think Brady is the first guy with a flat contract since his cap money never actually seems to go up .
Old 02-08-2018, 07:00 PM   #59
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I think Brady is the first guy with a flat contract since his cap money never actually seems to go up .

He only makes $1.95 but they guaranteed him that he will play in the Super Bowl every year.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:20 PM   #60
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Agreed. Of course, I thought Belichick would suck after his first job in Cleveland...

He'll need to find his Brady as well .
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:37 PM   #61
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Eagles long-snapper: Team ran fake walk-through in the event Pats were watching – ProFootballTalk

sounds about right.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:52 PM   #62
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

The amount the San Francisco offense improved when switching to Garoppolo was enough to tell me he's the guy. No question. San Fran instantly becomes one of the NFC favorites for me next season and into the future.

It's crazy how quickly he got acclimated. I wonder if they are eligible for Hard Knocks.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 02-08-2018 at 10:53 PM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:23 AM   #63
Logan
Head Coach

Re: anything you saw about Brady wanting to get Jimmy G money, or he'd sit out OTAs, etc...

The Boston Herald likely will be retracting a Patriots story, again – ProFootballTalk
Old 02-09-2018, 10:36 AM   #64
molson
General Manager

Ron Borges was fired from the Herald years ago for plagiarism. Didn't realize they brought him back. What a dignified newspaper that is.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:55 AM   #65
Suicane75
Coordinator

That alternate Pats helmet in the story is beautiful.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:07 PM   #66
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
That alternate Pats helmet in the story is beautiful.

I fully agree. Is that a Blaze? My son wants to start another helmet collection but this time of Blaze helmets.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:29 PM   #67
cuervo72
Head Coach

Reminded me a little of one of the Oilers' styles from the 60s.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:44 PM   #68
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Here we go again

Report: Colts finalizing deal for Frank Reich as new head coach

I definitely prefer Reich over McDaniels
Old 02-11-2018, 04:41 PM   #69
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Here we go again

Probably should wait until the ink is dry.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 02-11-2018, 06:39 PM   #70
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Here we go again

Same here. I didn't have confidence McDaniels would succeed as the Colts' head coach based on his time in Denver.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 07:28 PM   #71
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
Same here. I didn't have confidence McDaniels would succeed as the Colts' head coach based on his time in Denver.

Reich is definitely an upgrade IMO
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:02 PM   #72
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Not a good start to the 49ers offseason

Reuben Foster arrested on domestic violence charges
Old 02-11-2018, 11:12 PM   #73
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Reich is definitely an upgrade IMO

It would be cool if he coached the greatest NFL comeback.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:14 PM   #74
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I'm skeptical of OC's who don't call the plays, but Pederson had the same questions about how much was him & how much was Andy Reid when he was first hired. And Reich has coached in Indy before, so they have some familiarity.

Unfortunate timing for the Eagles as their QB coach took the Vikings OC job a couple days ago, you'd have to guess he was a possible replacement at OC.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:29 AM   #75
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Not a good start to the 49ers offseason

Reuben Foster arrested on domestic violence charges

First an insane contract signing and now this. They could become the Browns of the NFC.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:30 AM   #76
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
First an insane contract signing and now this. They could become the Browns of the NFC.

Foster was a top-10 talent that fell to 31 b/c of the specter of stuff like this. I don't fault the 49ers for taking the chance at that point.

Doubt that he even finishes his rookie contract with them now. I see a trade for a conditional 6th rounder to some other team. The 49ers will be tired of his shit, but one of the other 31 teams will put on that college tape and decide to take a chance.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:44 AM   #77
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Foster was a top-10 talent that fell to 31 b/c of the specter of stuff like this. I don't fault the 49ers for taking the chance at that point.

Doubt that he even finishes his rookie contract with them now. I see a trade for a conditional 6th rounder to some other team. The 49ers will be tired of his shit, but one of the other 31 teams will put on that college tape and decide to take a chance.

So disappointing. He's crazy talented. I may be slightly biased because my brother was able to score me an autographed jersey of his last season.

While part of me hopes that a come-to-jesus meeting with him explaining that there will be zero tolerance for this moving forward can lead to him figuring his shit out and getting back to the straight and narrow, I'm pretty sure the smarter move is to cut bait. Let this die down a little, then closer to the beginning of the season (when this isn't so fresh in peoples' minds) find a trade partner like albion suggests who is willing to give you SOME return on that same potential. There have just been far too many incidents like this with the 49ers lately, and this is a turning point for the franchise; with the Garappolo signing you need to distance yourself as a franchise from the nonsense that was prevalent with previous regimes (Aldon Smith, Ray McDonald, Ahmad Brooks, probably more that I'm not remembering).
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 06:02 PM   #78
miami_fan
Coordinator

Meet the NFL's newest UFA

AJ McCarron wins grievance against Cincinnati Bengals, will be unrestricted free agent
Old 02-15-2018, 06:25 PM   #79
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

So fucking Bengals.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:48 PM   #80
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Something positive for the Browns?

I wonder when he filed the grievance. If the Bengals knew about it before the trade deadline they should've been pushing harder to trade him, and holding the Browns hands and walking them through the trade process if necessary.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:27 PM   #81
bhlloy
Coordinator

The Browns will sign him to a Glennon deal, pass all over all the QBs in the draft and then have him rupture every tendon in his leg 10 mins into training camp.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:39 PM   #82
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Good for McCarron. Bengals shouldn't have fucked around. That said, they'll probably get a 3rd round supplemental pick for it..

Not as good as a high 2nd though. One they could have used on a top tier OL.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 02-15-2018 at 10:39 PM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:29 AM   #83
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Browns should sign AJ and turn their picks into a bunch of current/future picks. Draft 4-5 linemen this year in the first 3 rounds.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:31 AM   #84
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Something positive for the Browns?

I wonder when he filed the grievance. If the Bengals knew about it before the trade deadline they should've been pushing harder to trade him, and holding the Browns hands and walking them through the trade process if necessary.

He filed that a year ago.

Next one of these type of things will determine if Bridgewater's deal tolls or if he's a UFA.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:43 PM   #85
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Brian Cushing announces NFL retirement on Instagram
Old 02-24-2018, 08:09 PM   #86
Thomkal
Head Coach

Blake Bortles gets his money from JAX:

Jacksonville Jaguars reach 3-year extension with QB Blake Bortles
Old 02-26-2018, 02:58 PM   #87
Scarecrow
College Prospect

The outcome of the Marcus Peters trade:

The Chiefs send:
- Marcus Peters
- 2018 6th round pick

The Rams send:
- 2018 4th round pick
- 2019 2nd round pick

So it ends up being Peters for a 2nd round pick. The changing of the 4th for 6th is nothing more than compensation for the 2nd being in 2019 (LA doesn't have a 2nd in 2018). KC fans might not like it, but since Peters had already announce he was not going to re-sign with KC and he was planning on sitting out as much as he could in 2018, this is a fair deal.

I also think the fact that only the Rams and the 49ers were interested in him (and not the Browns or Colts whose GMs drafted him) speaks volumes in his attitude.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:27 PM   #88
Logan
Head Coach

People seem to care a lot more about players' attitude during the offseason than they do when they play at a Pro Bowl level during the season.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:56 PM   #89
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Roger Goodell Expected to Demand Millions of Dollars From Jerry Jones

I really hope Goodell fails
Old 02-26-2018, 06:25 PM   #90
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

Is this still a fight between Team Jerry Jones and Team Arthur Blank?

I might have to back Team Blank on this one if that is the case.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:31 PM   #91
RainMaker
General Manager

Not sure about the Jags cap situation but that felt like a team that should have gone all in on Cousins. They're a halfway decent QB away from being a championship team. Heck, I think I'd settle for Eli over Bortles too.

Sounds like the Vikings are going after Cousins now.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:32 PM   #92
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I hope he gets every cent possible out of the face lift creep.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:40 PM   #93
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

I don't think this is Goodell acting alone. For him to do this he has to have an overwhelming majority of owners backing him. I think Jerry has worn out everyone's patience and this is his punishment for all the bullshit.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:46 PM   #94
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I don't think this is Goodell acting alone. For him to do this he has to have an overwhelming majority of owners backing him. I think Jerry has worn out everyone's patience and this is his punishment for all the bullshit.

It's either this or Goodell is going to be out on his ass shortly, I'd imagine. Hard to think that he'd do this without the backing of the others, but we've seen stupider things before.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 07:42 AM   #95
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Goddell is a coward and a horrible leader. He would not put his neck out like this without a powerful group of owners behind him.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:03 AM   #96
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Not sure about the Jags cap situation but that felt like a team that should have gone all in on Cousins. They're a halfway decent QB away from being a championship team. Heck, I think I'd settle for Eli over Bortles too.

Sounds like the Vikings are going after Cousins now.

I think it seems unlikely. Vikings dont want to get in that bidding war and I am sure they would be more than happy to get Keenum back in the 15m-20m range as the market dries up a bit. Also, Zimmer cares too much about defense and they need to keep cap space free to sign some of their own defensive players after next season.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 10:04 AM   #97
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Goddell is a coward and a horrible leader. He would not put his neck out like this without a powerful group of owners behind him.

Well said! Jones had the right idea and it is unfortunate the other owners didnt back him up.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:24 PM   #98
Logan
Head Coach

Seems like there a couple of potential rule changes being talked about:

- Eliminating the "going to the ground" piece of the catch rule

- Changing defensive pass interference from a spot foul to a max of 15 yards
Old 02-27-2018, 12:31 PM   #99
Logan
Head Coach

BTW I missed this in the post-Marcus Peters trade until it got retweeted again by @OldTakesExposed but damn is it not amazing.

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2018/02/...ever-fake-new/

Old 02-27-2018, 12:33 PM   #100
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Well said! Jones had the right idea and it is unfortunate the other owners didnt back him up.

I tend to be in this camp as well.