Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-27-2023, 08:01 PM   #25401
stevew
Hall Of Famer

That Jimmy Johnson in-laws murder-suicide is wild. Didn’t realize “Terry” was the MIL
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 08:44 PM   #25402
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Still enjoying Dr. Pepper's Strawberries & Creme Zero.

you should be in a commercial
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 09:06 PM   #25403
Izulde
Head Coach

Catching up:

City I have the house I own in is anal about mowing and weed removal. Like, they're as bad as HOAs about it.

Speaking of it, current HOA I'm renting in for the other city? They check the front *and* the back for weeds and are aggressive about fining.

Problem is, renting city has HOAs *everywhere*. You can find a few areas that don't (I toured a lovely house recently that didn't), but they're few and far between.

Also, rethinking house selling plan - movers quoted me almost $11,000 to move everything today and in my head I'm like fuck that noise. So talking to realtor tomorrow to figure out what options I have. Lease isn't up until the end of January, so I've got time to sort out what to do.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 05:56 PM   #25404
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The speed bumps in this AirBNB subdivision are so awful. Like jarring. I dread going anywhere. Doesn't matter if you hit them at 2mph.
Old 06-28-2023, 07:17 PM   #25405
21C
College Prospect

The speed bumps in some areas around here have gaps in them. You can drive through a gap with one wheel but hit the bump with the other. I finally realized that they are spaced wide enough for buses to drive through the gaps without going over a bump.
Old 06-30-2023, 01:13 AM   #25406
molson
General Manager

The French have the most fun names to say.

Edouard Carpentier.

Great stuff.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 06:18 AM   #25407
Edward64
Head Coach

Cooking thin sliced bacon always takes longer than it should in a frying pan.

With all that grease, 2 min
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 07:16 AM   #25408
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Cooking thin sliced bacon always takes longer than it should in a frying pan.

With all that grease, 2 min

I wonder how many years it's been since I did bacon in a pan.

Sausage I can vaguely recall doing more recently -- within the last decade at least let's say -- but I literally can't think of doing the same with bacon more than maybe once in this house and we've been here 15+ years.
Old 06-30-2023, 07:24 AM   #25409
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I wonder how many years it's been since I did bacon in a pan.

Sausage I can vaguely recall doing more recently -- within the last decade at least let's say -- but I literally can't think of doing the same with bacon more than maybe once in this house and we've been here 15+ years.

re: Bacon. Pan > Microwave. I can never get it right in a microwave, tends to be overly crispy. With a pan, I can watch and take it out just at the right time.
Old 06-30-2023, 07:30 AM   #25410
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I might use the microwave when I just need a slice or two of bacon.

Otherwise I usually just put them in the oven.

And let's be real, if I'm going to take the effort to make bacon then I'm going to want more than two slices!
Old 06-30-2023, 07:44 AM   #25411
Edward64
Head Coach

Oh, I've never tried oven baked bacon.

My oven does take a long time to get to 375 or 400 though.
Old 06-30-2023, 08:20 AM   #25412
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
re: Bacon. Pan > Microwave. I can never get it right in a microwave, tends to be overly crispy. With a pan, I can watch and take it out just at the right time.

Oh I don't disagree one bit that, when it turns out right, pan over nuke is better. I simply can't arse myself to go through the effort for the difference.

And oven bacon is just not my thing, though I'm aware some people do swear by it.

edit to add: my initial reply was in the spirit of almost the purest form for this thread: your post made me think randomly "damn, when was the last time I pan fried bacon"

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-30-2023 at 08:21 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 08:32 AM   #25413
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
Oh I don't disagree one bit that, when it turns out right, pan over nuke is better. I simply can't arse myself to go through the effort for the difference.

And oven bacon is just not my thing, though I'm aware some people do swear by it.

edit to add: my initial reply was in the spirit of almost the purest form for this thread: your post made me think randomly "damn, when was the last time I pan fried bacon"

Convection ven bacon is super easy and tastes the best, but after about 10 minutes you do have to baby it to get desired crispness. My family prefers it burnt while I prefer it where it basically melts in your mouth. Normally I'll settle on mine where it has some pull and snap to it.

Kinda the same with scrambled eggs. I prefer mine a little runny while theirs needs to be super hard scrambled.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 12:33 PM   #25414
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

So my father passed in March. Parents own a decent amount of commercial real estate that generate income. Mom is set. Dad handled all the buildings, R.E no property management company. Mom is now doing her best but has leaned on me. The most recent is I am now the second person, after her, they call on if an alarm goes off.

I don't want to be a dick, but part of me thinks if I potentially am getting a call at 3AM I should be compensated. I of course want to help my mom, and unless she sells I will take over the business someday. I dunno. I'm not going to say anything, just thinking.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 01:08 PM   #25415
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I would hand that over to a property management company in a hot second...the thought of randos calling me at all/any hour of the day with high-stress surprises is practically givinf me hives
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 01:19 PM   #25416
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Bacon on the smoker or on the grill, most of the time. It is a trick to get it crispy, but the grease dripping on some burgers as they cook, so good.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 01:21 PM   #25417
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I would hand that over to a property management company in a hot second...the thought of randos calling me at all/any hour of the day with high-stress surprises is practically givinf me hives
Agreed. Lose some profit, gain some piece of mind. I deal with rental properties all day long and there is no amount of money that would make that worth it for me. (Well, there is an amount but not what I would realistically get)
Old 06-30-2023, 01:51 PM   #25418
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I would love for her to and the second they become mine that will be the first thing I do.
Old 06-30-2023, 11:13 PM   #25419
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Sup with there being like 90 miles of I-95 in Georgia with no gd rest stops. Finally break down and stopped at the worlds worst Hardee’s cause I was going to die of holding it.
Old 06-30-2023, 11:16 PM   #25420
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Air fryer bacon is very good. Threads the needle between pan and oven. So are air fried bacon wrapped hot dogs. Thanks for coming to my ted talk.
Old 06-30-2023, 11:35 PM   #25421
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Sup with there being like 90 miles of I-95 in Georgia with no gd rest stops. Finally break down and stopped at the worlds worst Hardee’s cause I was going to die of holding it.

We don't really "do" rest stops. There's only 10 locations (not counting 'doubles' that have the same location with one on either side of the highway) statewide across 4 major interstates (I-85 has none in Georgia since 2010).

They've been pared down since their original purpose has been all but obsoleted as a GDOT spokesperson explained in 20009 "The rest areas were built in the early 1960s when those areas were so rural you couldn't get off an exit and find a gas station or a restaurant or a place to get a snack," she said. "Now, when you get off on just about any exit on the interstate you find a multitude of places where you can get gas, there are fast food places, just a multitude of places to meet your needs."

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-30-2023 at 11:35 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 07:20 AM   #25422
Edward64
Head Coach

I've always enjoyed rest stops, tourist info at state borders. So much easier to zip in and out when you want a coke, take a leak, or even catch a nap.
Old 07-01-2023, 08:29 AM   #25423
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

New Jersey change all the names of rest stops to famous people from jersey so you can grab a bite at the jon Bon Jovi rest area.
Old 07-01-2023, 09:12 AM   #25424
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
New Jersey change all the names of rest stops to famous people from jersey so you can grab a bite at the jon Bon Jovi rest area.
If you are shot through the heart you can stop by, dead or alive.
Old 07-01-2023, 10:00 PM   #25425
GrantDawg

Tonight at midnight I start my clear diet till Monday for my colonoscopy. Being old sucks.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 07-01-2023, 10:44 PM   #25426
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

i've had to go on a diet myself. it's been hard
Old 07-01-2023, 11:28 PM   #25427
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The funny thing is the next state up (well, one of them) is famous for its rest stops. Why? Because they are the only places you can buy hard liquor in the state.

New Hampshire allows grocery stores to sell beer and wine, but there are no privately owned liquor stores, so if you want a bourbon, brand, vodka or other alcoholic drink, you have to buy it from the state run liquor stores (which are all over the place, usually at rest stops).

The other thing that makes it so popular is that New Hampshire has no tax on alcohol, so the most popular rest stop stores are the ones right on the New Hampshire border with other states, so you have a lot of folks traveling to New Hampshire to get the booze cheaper then they would be in their own state, even with the travel expense.
Old 07-01-2023, 11:51 PM   #25428
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Tonight at midnight I start my clear diet till Monday for my colonoscopy. Being old sucks.

Fun times.
Old 07-02-2023, 03:16 AM   #25429
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post
Fun times.

says the Anal Bum Cover
Old 07-02-2023, 08:07 AM   #25430
GrantDawg

I'm going to wish I had an AnalBumCover after 10 tonight.
Old 07-02-2023, 08:41 AM   #25431
Edward64
Head Coach

Discussed the alternatives with your doctor?

Quote:
Colon Cancer Screening Methods. A colonoscopy is not your only option for screening for colon cancer. Other screening methods are sigmoidoscopy, virtual colonoscopy, a fecal immunochemical test, a fecal occult blood test, or a stool DNA test.
Old 07-02-2023, 11:05 AM   #25432
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

IMO having the shits for a few hours and then having a tube stuck up your ass is a small price to pay for likely not getting colon cancer.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 11:09 AM   #25433
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
They've been pared down since their original purpose has been all but obsoleted as a GDOT spokesperson explained in 20009 "The rest areas were built in the early 1960s when those areas were so rural you couldn't get off an exit and find a gas station or a restaurant or a place to get a snack," she said. "Now, when you get off on just about any exit on the interstate you find a multitude of places where you can get gas, there are fast food places, just a multitude of places to meet your needs."

Rest stops also keep OTR trucking off of local streets that are not generally engineered to handle those kind of weights, that often.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 01:10 PM   #25434
GrantDawg

Quote:
The rest of that story: Those test often have false positives that still will require you to have a colonoscopy, but that colonoscopy will no longer be fully covered by your insurance. You only get one free test. That is why I'm going this route.
Old 07-02-2023, 09:19 PM   #25435
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
IMO having the shits for a few hours and then having a tube stuck up your ass is a small price to pay for likely not getting colon cancer.

This. Absolutely this.
Old 07-02-2023, 10:34 PM   #25436
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post

Fuck yeah man! Best nap of the week right there! I'm all seriousness, good for you getting it done. I know right now, it doesn't feel fun.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 10:35 PM   #25437
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

I shit into a can. I mailed that can to someone. That was the weirdest place I've ever shit.
Old 07-02-2023, 11:10 PM   #25438
GrantDawg

Nobody knows the trouble my toilet has seen
Nobody knows it sorrow

Old 07-03-2023, 10:46 AM   #25439
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I took a dump in the box and it came back all clear

Then they sent me a bill for 700$ so I dunno if I have to actually pay that.
Old 07-03-2023, 11:36 AM   #25440
GrantDawg

No polyps. Colon all clear. I do have ulcers in the end of my small intestines. They rook biopsies but they think it might be Crohn's.
Old 07-03-2023, 11:38 AM   #25441
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Ugh. That sucks. Join the club.

(Crohn's and its various inflammatory affects are one of the reasons I'm on Humira)
Old 07-03-2023, 11:39 AM   #25442
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I took a dump in the box and it came back all clear

Then they sent me a bill for 700$ so I dunno if I have to actually pay that.

Sorry for the inadvertent dola: So, apparently there IS an amount that you can pay to make people deal with your shit.

(note: not aimed at steve, it was a joke )
Old 07-03-2023, 12:34 PM   #25443
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I need to start getting the 20 oz Diet Coke bottles for lunch. A can isn't enough, but if I open a second one I don't finish it and by the time I'm done with my afternoon nap it is flat.
Old 07-03-2023, 01:43 PM   #25444
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
I need to start getting the 20 oz Diet Coke bottles for lunch. A can isn't enough, but if I open a second one I don't finish it and by the time I'm done with my afternoon nap it is flat.

You'll be disappointed. They are like 16 Oz now
Old 07-03-2023, 01:54 PM   #25445
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Get the 10oz mini cans.
Old 07-05-2023, 02:21 PM   #25446
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Watched a Tiny Desk of Juvenile. If you had told me 25 years ago I'd be listening to Juvenile on NPR I would have called you crazy.

Also saw Ludacris on a 4th of July celebration on TV. I would not have anticipated him being around 20+ years after What's Your Fantasy... let alone still being a somewhat popular figure given his Fast and Furious roles.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 02:22 PM   #25447
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
Watched a Tiny Desk of Juvenile. If you had told me 25 years ago I'd be listening to Juvenile on NPR I would have called you crazy.

I watched that one a couple days ago, it was good!
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 07:35 PM   #25448
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

The Marsala Panko-Crusted Pork Chop (with smashed red potatoes) recipe I got from Home Chef was absolutely delicious.
Old 07-06-2023, 01:15 PM   #25449
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
The Marsala Panko-Crusted Pork Chop (with smashed red potatoes) recipe I got from Home Chef was absolutely delicious.
Home Chef pretty much slaps. We had shrimp and spinach with red pepper pesto over linguine last night. It was heavenly, and all it took was just combining it in the provided pan and baking it for 20 minutes.
Old 07-06-2023, 04:23 PM   #25450
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I really want to get a new TV for my basement. When we moved into our place five years ago, I bought one of those TCL Roku TVs for the basement. It’s been great. No issues. But, it turns out that I pretty much watch everything I watch down there and now want a better TV - LG OLED - like we have upstairs, despite the fact that the Roku TV works fine.

A dilemma.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote