Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-21-2021, 10:53 PM   #1
tarcone
Coordinator

THE Retirement Thread

Who would have thought we were here, but we are.

I have 2 years left until retirement. I could go 4 or 5 more years, but the more I think about it the more i want out in 2.
My pension will be pretty good, but I will have to work to pay health insurance.

Im thinking I will become a real estate agent in life number 2. Or just work a bunch of jobs I want to work.

I am just about done with the teaching career. And am ready to start a new adventure.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15

tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 11:34 PM   #2
21C
College Prospect

Hey, good luck with crossing over to retirement when the time comes.

At 57, I'm at an age that I get invariably asked "When are you going to retire?" I feel pretty good and think that I still have something positive to offer so I am going to keep teaching for some undetermined number of years. Financially I could afford to retire now but what am I going to do? Travel?
Old 08-22-2021, 12:42 AM   #3
molson
General Manager

I'm on a good track in the state pension system and got in early enough that I could maybe retire a bit early, but, I don't know if I can do what I'm doing now for another 15 years when I'm into my late 50s, it's a bit grueling and stressful. I'd really like to bridge the last few years to retirement working for the Department of Parks and Recreation, or something that involves a lot of driving around Idaho. Or some kind of support staff. The police chief of a fairly big city near Boise was our office runner his last two years before retirement. He just became the office gossiper. I guess the pension formula is such that that it works out very well to have even a low-paying job to add a couple of service years at the end.

Last edited by molson : 08-22-2021 at 01:00 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 01:19 AM   #4
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I still got about 2 and a half years before I can leanFIRE. Everyday at work is getting longer and longer.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 08-22-2021 at 01:19 AM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 05:34 AM   #5
Edward64
Head Coach

We've been talking and planning past 3+ years now. Targeting on next year. Getting my travel bucket list ready!

I'll probably suffer from "just one more year" when the time comes. It is true that much of my identity is/was built around work so can see myself struggling a little. Also, the 401k contributions and market helps with padding the retirement kitty but "it'll never be enough". But yeah, overall I'm prepared and ready to retire.

This year, my wife scaled down teacher to para so much less stress. She is retirement eligible now but not near 60 yet to actually collect any benefits. She may join me next year also but can see her continuing to be a para for a few more years.

Last edited by Edward64 : 08-22-2021 at 06:26 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 07:23 AM   #6
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I still got about 2 and a half years before I can leanFIRE. Everyday at work is getting longer and longer.

I assume you frequent this sub?

leanfire
Old 08-22-2021, 09:38 AM   #7
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I am going to be able to retire about ten years after I am dead.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 11:17 AM   #8
Bobble
College Prospect

I'm closing in on retirement. I wouldn't really consider it for a few more years but my company is offering voluntary separation packages. I'm 54 but I do have my 30 years in. According to our financial planner, I could retire now but I think I'd like to live much higher on the hog in retirement. More travelling, more golfing, more hobbies, more dining out, etc. Mrs. Bobble and I would both have 40-50 more hours per week to fill.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 11:18 AM   #9
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I assume you frequent this sub?

leanfire

I do peruse that subreddit from time to time.
Old 08-22-2021, 11:20 AM   #10
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I am going to be able to retire about ten years after I am dead.

Poor GrantDawg

Old 08-22-2021, 11:56 AM   #11
PilotMan
Head Coach

I remember how much shit guys took on here when they turned 40! Fuck!

I've got 19 years left. I hope...because getting to leave on this job on your own terms is a big deal on it's own. Too many guys never get their champagne flight.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 12:39 PM   #12
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I think I'm going to be in a catch-22. Worst case scenario, I need to find a new job in my mid-50s or 60s which will likely require me to work longer. On the other hand, if the current job continues to be this good and business is successful, I doubt I'm going to want to retire. I figure I've got at least another 10-12 years.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 12:51 PM   #13
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'm sort of ... de facto retired at this point.

It wasn't planned that way really, just a number of events happening in a certain order that sorta worked it out that way.

I'd be lying to say I miss anything about being not-retired. Too many people involved -- just part of the job kinda people -- in what I did for the previous 20+ years for me to miss working.
Old 08-22-2021, 09:50 PM   #14
Butter
Coordinator

If things go right, I'll be retired in 5-7 years. Before I'm 55. Wife's career trajectory is such that she would be able to carry the load for us both and I would be house husband.

She's already signed off on this, so we will see. Everything has to continue on this trajectory uninterrupted for the next few years though, so a lot of ifs.
Old 08-23-2021, 07:59 AM   #15
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Retirement feels a million miles away right now. Kids in middle school, trying to build a cabin, money flying out almost as fast as it can come in. Throw in the visibly high inflation and I just don't even bother trying to do any of the math to map it out. Maybe 10 years from now things will have slowed down and I'll have a better idea of what might be possible.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 08:07 AM   #16
Kodos
Resident Alien

Kids will be done with college in 10 years, then I'll start thinking about it...
Old 08-23-2021, 09:29 PM   #17
CarterNMA
Mascot

I'm technically 5 years and 1 month from eligibility. But I'm about 9 years ahead of the wife and she would not be happy if I retired so early. Hopefully I'll retire in 10 and spend 4 years waiting for her by traveling around narrowing down the places we'll retire to. We want to head somewhere colder than central Maryland.
CarterNMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 10:52 PM   #18
cuervo72
Head Coach

Some time in the 2040s for me probably, if death, the end times, or some form of inheritance doesn't intervene.
Old 08-24-2021, 02:02 PM   #19
jbpostbot
n00b

i may retire after next trip to vegas. i have system

Last edited by jbpostbot : 08-24-2021 at 02:13 PM.
jbpostbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 02:39 PM   #20
Dutch
"Dutch"

I just crossed the 50’s threshold. Retired from the military, damn…8 years ago? Anyway, it gives me a nice pension that pays the house note. I’m enjoying career number 2 in IT, but I wish I was 25 in this brave new world. Sometimes I just get tired, but still grinding. My goal is to retire in 5 years and publish the book I’ve been writing for the last 5 years lol then live off the proceeds of my New York Times best seller. Dreamin.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 02:40 PM   #21
Kodos
Resident Alien

Nice to hear from you, Dutch!
Old 08-24-2021, 03:18 PM   #22
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
I just crossed the 50’s threshold. Retired from the military, damn…8 years ago? Anyway, it gives me a nice pension that pays the house note. I’m enjoying career number 2 in IT, but I wish I was 25 in this brave new world. Sometimes I just get tired, but still grinding. My goal is to retire in 5 years and publish the book I’ve been writing for the last 5 years lol then live off the proceeds of my New York Times best seller. Dreamin.
I bet you will do it. Good to see you, Dutch.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 08-24-2021 at 03:18 PM.
Old 08-24-2021, 04:01 PM   #23
Dutch
"Dutch"

Thanks! I’m around, just a lurker. Doctor told me I should keep my blood pressure in check these days.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 04:53 PM   #24
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbpostbot View Post
i may retire after next trip to vegas. i have system

AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 05:12 PM   #25
Flasch186
Coordinator

This is nuts

I joined this board over twenty years ago perhaps and now we’re talking about retirement

That’s insane to me

Blows my mind how long I’ve frequented here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 07:27 PM   #26
Edward64
Head Coach

I was thinking about how I go to slickdeal.net or techbargains.com or countless other "best deals" sites just for the sake of finding good deals.

I don't need a new TV or laptop/desktop or camera etc. I want those things.

Over the past 3-4 years, I've done a much better job at not jumping on everything I want.

I'm getting my mindset ready to reduce spending & expenses. Have to work on my wife though
Old 10-03-2021, 07:56 PM   #27
tarcone
Coordinator

Went to a retirement seminar to learn what I need to do to retire. After next year is the first year I can get a normal retirement. They give a detailed breakdown of the estimate of how much will make. It is over my thresh hold and im willing to work at jobs I want to. I just need enough to pay for my insurance.

July 1, 2023 is the date.

Last edited by tarcone : 10-03-2021 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-03-2021, 08:05 PM   #28
Edward64
Head Coach

Depends on economy but short of a deep recession (e.g. portfolio takes a wallop), planning on 1H 2022.
Old 10-04-2021, 09:51 AM   #29
korme
Go Reds

Am I the only one on FOFC that is probably going to retire AFTER Tom Brady does?
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 10:03 AM   #30
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The Federal Employee Retirement System (FERS) has a lot of incentives that strongly encourage retirement at 62. So that's my goal/hope.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 08:15 PM   #31
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Has anyone considered retiring to a foreign country? My coworker (not the one I'm hitting on) who is from the Philippines wants me to retire there. I can't do that until I'm 50 (that's the minimum age to obtain a retirement visa there) but I could very well be a millionaire by then and I imagine I would live like a king.
Old 10-07-2021, 08:21 PM   #32
tarcone
Coordinator

A student of mine is telling me that her family is moving to Belize in March. Tha might be a cool place to go.

Old 10-07-2021, 08:30 PM   #33
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Has anyone considered retiring to a foreign country? My coworker (not the one I'm hitting on) who is from the Philippines wants me to retire there. I can't do that until I'm 50 (that's the minimum age to obtain a retirement visa there) but I could very well be a millionaire by then and I imagine I would live like a king.

I'm giving thought to ending up in Central America, maybe Panama. Costa Rica might be too rich for my blood. Nicaragua and Honduras are bit too unstable. El Salvador could be interesting too.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 08:31 PM   #34
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

I've thought about it but not "permanently". Sell house, buy a cheaper condo or house in subdivision, and then missus and I can travel overseas. Stay at airbnbs for like 3-4 months at a time.

But whatever you do, travel to the place and stay there for several months before making a decision. PH is great because most everyone speaks english lots of malls, shopping; you'd live pretty well on $30K USD and decent on $20K.

May not be for you if you don't like hot, less sanitary than western standards, lots of traffic, food may not appeal to you etc.

Consider Thailand and Malaysia, maybe Vietnam. Singapore & HK are too expensive. Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar are probably too undeveloped.

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-07-2021 at 08:35 PM.
Old 10-08-2021, 07:51 AM   #35
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
El Salvador could be interesting too.

What with their bitcoin-loving wannabe "cool dictator" and all.
Old 10-08-2021, 08:14 AM   #36
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Portugal has nice beaches, a really good cost of living, and access to the entire EU.

Mrs. A and I are almost certainly going to retire domestically, but if we were to do the overseas thing, that's our top choice right now.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 10-08-2021 at 08:15 AM.
Old 10-08-2021, 08:20 AM   #37
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola: Our real hope is that one of our kids settles somewhere cool and gives us a good excuse to go live there.
Old 10-08-2021, 08:51 AM   #38
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Portugal has nice beaches, a really good cost of living, and access to the entire EU.

Mrs. A and I are almost certainly going to retire domestically, but if we were to do the overseas thing, that's our top choice right now.

This is where my wife and I have chosen for our retiring spot if we decide to retire outside of the U.S. We are almost certain to spend at least three months out of every year living abroad somewhere.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 09:54 AM   #39
Ksyrup

I don't see us living outside the US simply because of our kids. But I'd definitely like to split my time between a couple of places.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 10-08-2021, 10:28 AM   #40
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
I'm giving thought to ending up in Central America, maybe Panama. Costa Rica might be too rich for my blood. Nicaragua and Honduras are bit too unstable. El Salvador could be interesting too.

We stumbled across a Canadian ex-pat beach community in Costa Rica and it looked like just an amazing life. They had Monday Night Football watch parties at the local bars, everyone driving around in golf carts, just a slow as relaxed lifestyle.

Of course, the best time to get in on that would have been about 20 years ago, cost-wise. But I'm sure there's great spots in all of the countries you mentioned if you can find one that fits what you want your life to be.

And Central America is close enough to shoot back to the U.S. occasionally, and you can be the place that friends and family comfortably visit abroad.

Last edited by molson : 10-08-2021 at 11:30 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 11:15 AM   #41
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

One thing to look out for--because Central/South America's lower cost of living can create a too-good-to-be-true situation, various scams have developed. Places that claim to be communities that you can invest in and then end up owning a place and retiring to it, but it turns out that they are just going to take your money.

I don't think that it is super common. But you really want to do your due diligence and go down there and check it out and have your lawyer look it over, etc. (All of which you should do anyway if you are making a life decision that momentous).
Old 10-08-2021, 11:43 AM   #42
PilotMan
Head Coach

Costa Rica supposedly can simply take your property from you as an ex-pat. They are hyper critical of selling property to foreigners, and make them jump through many hoops in order to purchase. It sounds like a great idea, but it's a real process to bring together.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 11:46 AM   #43
Kodos
Resident Alien

We'd love to get a place on Maui (or somewhere else in Hawaii) in retirement. Trying to convince the kids that they'd like Maui too. Not making a lot of headway on that count...

I wouldn't be opposed to retiring in Canada, except for the cold. I would love to escape snowy winters.

Last edited by Kodos : 10-08-2021 at 12:12 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 06:33 AM   #44
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
We'd love to get a place on Maui (or somewhere else in Hawaii) in retirement. Trying to convince the kids that they'd like Maui too. Not making a lot of headway on that count...

I wouldn't be opposed to retiring in Canada, except for the cold. I would love to escape snowy winters.

Hawaii was a consideration. But after visiting Oahu (the Christmas before Covid), I can't help but feel it too constrained e.g. island fever. Why I scratched off all the Caribbean islands. But definitely still do the 3-4 months airbnb thing.

Canada is just too damn cold for too many months.
Old 10-09-2021, 07:08 AM   #45
Edward64
Head Coach

Anyone looked into buying one of those $1-and-like abandoned houses in Italian towns losing population?

Sounds like a great deal if you are willing to put up with renovation costs. I suspect that even though its in a nice/scenic location and house/townhouse looks great on the outside, the inside will take quite a bit of work to make it livable for US standards.

And there is a reason why those towns are losing population.
Old 07-11-2023, 03:00 PM   #46
Edward64
Head Coach

If you have a $6M-$80M estate, you can do better than a hand scribbled will (actually 2 of them). Serious lack of financial literacy there for the Queen and/or her handlers.

Here are Aretha Franklin's two handwritten wills
Quote:
The two handwritten wills at the center of a years-long legal battle over Aretha Franklin’s estimated $6 million estate were barely legible — with crossed-out words and scribblings in the margins — but had to be deciphered by jurors, who were shown large posters of one of the documents at trial this week.

The Oakland County Probate Court jury reached its verdict Tuesday finding a 2014 document — discovered in a spiral notebook crammed under couch cushions at Franklin’s suburban Detroit home in 2019 — was a valid Michigan will.
Quote:
At the time of Franklin’s death, her estate was estimated to be worth $80 million — but the value has been dramatically depleted after many years of unpaid taxes and high legal bills.

The estate now has assets totaling less than $6 million, according to a report by the BBC.

Old 07-11-2023, 03:26 PM   #47
GrantDawg

Meanwhile, my father-in-law is having a problem with our state recognizing my mother-in-law's will they did before they legally required a notary. How does that make sense?

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2023, 06:51 AM   #48
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Meanwhile, my father-in-law is having a problem with our state recognizing my mother-in-law's will they did before they legally required a notary. How does that make sense?

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Did they use some sort of computer software or self-filled form? If they used an attorney, I'd think they'd be covered (e.g. we used an attorney for will + living will).

Last edited by Edward64 : 07-13-2023 at 06:52 AM.
Old 07-13-2023, 08:00 AM   #49
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

This post didn't age well.

Thanks 2022.

I probably have at least 2 more years before I can feasibly leanFire. And that's IF inflation gets under control and the stock market grows at 10% annually.
Old 07-13-2023, 08:08 AM   #50
Ksyrup

I don't see retiring before 65. If things go right, I definitely think we will have the house paid off and a decent retirement savings to where I could retire by 60ish, but I'm not sure I want to give up a good job with great pay and the ability to travel 3+ times a year until I'm absolutely ready to be done. I don't know.

A lot will change after the next 4-5 years - second kid comes mostly off of payroll by 2026, hopefully a wedding or two will be done, expenses will come down, and we can start putting more money into thinking about retirement. At the current pace, the house will be paid off by 2030, but in a few years, I should be able to accelerate those payments. I just don't know what things look like without the kids' expenses until it happens. And it will happen, dammit!