Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: How many FOFCers Have You Met in "Real Life"?
0 (Trout) 23 39.66%
1-2 18 31.03%
3-5 8 13.79%
6-10 4 6.90%
11+ 5 8.62%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-11-2021, 08:35 PM   #51
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Yep, up in Denver.

I have a lovely 5am wakeup call to drive up there this morning, but it was worth it.

And no. I did not crash. Landings were a mixed bag, and I took out some runway lights on takeoff, but we lived.

Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 10:06 AM   #52
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Nice!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 10:21 AM   #53
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I wonder if I ever met an FOFCer w/o realizing it.
Old 01-21-2022, 09:58 AM   #54
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
With people talking in one of the other threads about meeting up, I got to thinking: "How many FOFCers have I met in real life?"

I know there's a global pandemic now, but this place is 20 years old so you've had time to go meet people outside of this wild simulation of reality.

Poll forthcoming and feel free to expound in the comments.

I've been traveling more and have more opportunities to do so, but I haven't really connected with more FOFCers since I drifted away. I've been fortunate enough to meet up with a bunch of family I haven't met before, though.

DataKing, RavenHawk, Mizzourah, Hoopsguy, Barkeep, WSUCougar, primelord, BUY14, the Coffee Warlord and his world's most comfortable futon gave me a place to sleep one night. Solecismic was a pretty darn special one to snag. Passacaglia and his wife I think round it out.

I was "this close" to Chief Rum a few years ago on a work trip to City of Industry...and I could have high fived terpkristin last year if it were not for the COVID concerns.
Old 01-21-2022, 10:11 AM   #55
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Before FOFC existed, digamma and I went to the same school (and had classes together) for 7th grade.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 10:45 AM   #56
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

I've never slept on the floor of an FOFCer's bedroom.

*takes drink*
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 11:51 AM   #57
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Shoot, that reminds me. I was in first grade with Hawglaw...and Hulsey was a friend of mine who registered but I don't think ever posted. I spent more than a few nights over at Hulsey's for a time. Hawglaw told me about family I didn't know I had...I believe he was friends with what turned out to be my cousin's husband.

Last edited by Poli : 01-21-2022 at 12:07 PM.
Poli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 11:58 AM   #58
Poli
FOFC Survivor

One other now that it's on my mind: Tarcone and I had dinner one night before I went out for a HS football game at Pacific, MO.
Old 01-22-2022, 02:26 PM   #59
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
Solecismic was a pretty darn special one to snag.

Interesting choice of words. But thanks. It was great meeting you and a few other FOFCers. What a crazy month that was for me - driving cross-country to meet quite a few people here and there who I had only known online during a very difficult time.

I'm trying to think of who else on FOFC I've met other than that St. Louis luncheon. Several sim developers at various times. We comprise this fraternity of sorts that defies all reason. That would include Gary, Arlie, Marc, Markus, Andreas and Clay, though I'm not sure Clay has ever posted here.

The EA people who produced FOF2 and 3 (unfortunately, Dan Wasson's sudden outburst - one he almost immediately understood was unwarranted and felt terrible about - and greatly out-of-character for someone I had worked with a lot and was one of the nicer people I've met in this business - that pretty much ended their participation on FOFC). A couple of the reviewers for the old magazines. Tony at an E3 convention - we went to an Angels game. Ben stopped by when he had business near my old home in Michigan - we went and played bar trivia.

I think everyone I've met from FOFC is included in this post. I hope that number increases some day, though I'm afraid an event like Comic-Con is unlikely for the sports sim market.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 03:10 PM   #60
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Clay has posted a fair amount here, but not for 7 years.

Front Office Football Central
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 05:24 PM   #61
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Met Fozzie and one other person at Gencon a few years back. For the life of me I can't remember who the other person was.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 05:47 PM   #62
Kodos
Resident Alien

jbmagic
Old 01-22-2022, 06:42 PM   #63
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I once accosted Pumpy in front of a gas station.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 07:42 PM   #64
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
jbmagic

I need details one this one. Was he rich from his infallible gambling strategy?
Old 01-22-2022, 09:11 PM   #65
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Interesting choice of words. But thanks. It was great meeting you and a few other FOFCers. What a crazy month that was for me - driving cross-country to meet quite a few people here and there who I had only known online during a very difficult time.

It was a great time! Any mention of the Sons of Sam Horn raises the bar for me! lol
Old 01-22-2022, 09:25 PM   #66
Kodos
Resident Alien

I was suggesting that cubboyroy met him.
Old 01-23-2022, 11:17 AM   #67
Izulde
Head Coach

Don't recall if I've tipped over to the 6-10 category yet. Vegas was great for meeting up with FOFCers. Now that I'm in north-central Wisky, it's a lot more difficult.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 02:13 PM   #68
Subby
lolzcat

Ran the Boston Marathon with digamma, gambled with Quik and Primelord and Malificent in Vega$, ate a meal with cuervo, critch, and sjshaw in DC. Had Simms, Morg, and Quik over to the Shue Estate and Spa for a meal. Met Vegas Vic at the Spice Market Buffet in Vegas. Whiffed on a few. I'm old. My memory is bad.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 02:41 PM   #69
cuervo72
Head Coach

I was at meatfest too. Left a pair of watermelon croc sandals, size itty-bitty.
Old 02-04-2022, 02:42 PM   #70
cuervo72
Head Coach

Oh, and we met Buddy after eating at the pizza place, too IIRC.
Old 02-04-2022, 02:42 PM   #71
cuervo72
Head Coach

Still the last time anyone's flirted with me, btw.
Old 02-04-2022, 02:52 PM   #72
cuervo72
Head Coach

(Our probably gay waiter, not Buddy.)

In addition to what Subby listed, scaring Quik at the airport, and fawning over fuzzy creatures with Critch, I've also taken in an O's game with (I believe) DukeRulesMAB, Malificent, and pbot (where I made an ass of myself limping along because I can't boogie board, while Mali had an actual reason); visited Morg along with Simms and tauter (introduction to SodaStream); took in a MD/W&M football game (Morg says goodbye to an umbrella, Wade decides he has better friends).
Old 02-04-2022, 04:20 PM   #73
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Shot fired at Wade.
Old 08-04-2023, 09:16 AM   #74
PilotMan
Head Coach

I'm up in Green Bay for our long time friend Sackattack's wedding tomorrow!

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 09:43 AM   #75
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I'm flying a bunch in the next 3 months (at least for me). Maybe we'll cross paths? Of course, you only live about 90ish minutes away...
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 09:50 AM   #76
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
There is someone else I've met but I can't for the life of me remember the screen name. We work in related industries and met at a couple of conferences. Now I'm going to be racking my brain. I can picture him, oddly enough, but can't remember either the real name or user name.

I'm going to bump my own post from 2 years ago because I remember who it is - Heybrad. He and I work in the same industry, and in fact, we might be doing some business together soon (although I doubt he knows it yet - at least that I'm with a company he's talking to). He hasn't posted here in about 5 years, and I haven't spoken to him in a long, long time. He's moved up to a pretty high position in his company, so it looks like he's doing well.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 08-04-2023, 10:00 AM   #77
Ksyrup

This topic had me thinking of other internet meet-ups. I've met way more people from music-related groups/message boards than from here.

Anyone have stories of meet-ups that went horribly (or mildly, I guess) wrong?

This was probably 20-22 years ago (just based on when we owned our house in Tallahassee). My wife and daughter were away, probably visiting family while I stayed home to work (during my law firm days). King's X was playing Tally and a bunch of people were coming to the show. One dude had no place to stay, so I let him stay at my house. I did not tell my wife because I know what she would have said. But I knew this dude for years and completely trusted him. Anyway, he brought this special bottle of wine from his wife to give to one of the guys in the band, and... he dropped it in my kitchen. Not only did it bust and shoot wine and glass everywhere, but the bottle left a gouge in the tile. We had to buy some grout-cleaning stuff and worked for a couple of hours to clean it all up. Couldn't do much about the dent. When my wife came back, she eventually noticed the gouge a couple weeks later and I said one of us must have dropped something and didn't realize it left a mark.

That was almost a disaster for me. Show was great though. And we still got to hang out with the band and this guy re-supplied the band with weed after they got pulled over on I-10 for being ID'd as a tour bus and basically threatened with jail if they didn't give up anything they had on the bus. They were appreciative, ha!

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-04-2023 at 10:01 AM.
Old 08-04-2023, 11:22 AM   #78
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Anyone have storiesof meet-ups that went horribly (or mildly, I guess) wrong?

I've probably told this story before, but I was in the beginning of a long-distance reelationship & I flew this woman up for the weekend and got her a room at a fairly nice hotel nearby....but I did not know the hotel was hosting a furry convention that weekend.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 07:55 PM   #79
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
He hasn't posted here in about 5 years, and I haven't spoken to him in a long, long time. He's moved up to a pretty high position in his company, so it looks like he's doing well.
So FOFC is bad for your career, you say?
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 11:54 PM   #80
MJ4H
Coordinator

Izulde is the only one I've met. We got together to go watch a Razorback scrimmage back before Petrino's first year here. I think Izulde was going to school at the U of A at the time? It's been awhile, so I don't remember all the details.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 10:16 AM   #81
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I wonder if I ever met an FOFCer w/o realizing it.

I'm your Trump walker!!!!
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 10:18 AM   #82
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

I've not met anyone. I did get an offer of support when I was breaking up with my ex-gf, but that was like 20 years ago.

I figure this community is going to die off since there won't be new FOF games.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote