Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-16-2021, 05:58 PM   #101
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

"I think we're gonna sign Dalton."

"OK, boss. That's a good plan. But you know what would be a great plan?"

"What?"

"Getting the fan base really excited about Russell Wilson first. Then we swoop in and sign Dalton."

"That's brilliant! The fans will love it! I like the way you think, Jenkins!"
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 06:17 PM   #102
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Amusingly, I'm okay with this, but not for talent reasons.

- Bears don't give away a billion 1st rounders.
- Odds are good the Bears continue to be mediocre/bad with Dalton, Pace gets fire, and new GM still has draft picks to use.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 03-16-2021 at 06:18 PM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 06:20 PM   #103
rjolley
College Starter

QB Tyrod Taylor signs with Houston.

The most incredible piece of info in that article? Taylor lost his job to Herbert because the team doctor punctured his lung giving his a pain-killing shot. WTF? That's a messed up way to lose your starting job.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 06:25 PM   #104
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
"I think we're gonna sign Dalton."

"OK, boss. That's a good plan. But you know what would be a great plan?"

"What?"

"Getting the fan base really excited about Russell Wilson first. Then we swoop in and sign Dalton."

"That's brilliant! The fans will love it! I like the way you think, Jenkins!"

I don't know if it was a joke but Rovell posted that the Bears odds of winning the SB went down after signing Dalton.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 07:22 PM   #105
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah Tyrod got done dirty in San Diego, which ironically was the best thing that could have ever happened to the team as it allowed them to see what they had in Herbert.

It's a very interesting signing for that amount of money. Up to $12.5m doesn't mean that's the hit or he's likely to see most of it, but it's also a lot for a guy who is just a backup and happens to play a similar style as your starter. Who is talking about not returning to the team at all. Hmmm... pick your narrative on this one.

Last edited by bhlloy : 03-16-2021 at 07:27 PM.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 09:05 PM   #106
molson
General Manager

The QB free agent market is now basically done. Just Alex Smith and Trubinsky left.

I don't know what any of these contract numbers really mean, but I can understand why Dalton did OK, if he did. Probably the last fringe starter available.

Last edited by molson : 03-16-2021 at 09:06 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 09:10 PM   #107
Edward64
Head Coach

I know just a hypothetical but I have no idea who Trey Lance is!

It is nice that Falcons own #4 pick this year.

2021 NFL Mock Draft: Falcons trade up for QB Trey Lance, WR Jaylen Waddle heads to Detroit to replace Kenny Golladay | NFL Draft | PFF
Quote:
3. ATLANTA FALCONS (VIA DOLPHINS): QB TREY LANCE, NORTH DAKOTA STATE
The only franchise that traded up in the draft more consistently than the Atlanta Falcons under former general manager Thomas Dimitroff was the New Orleans Saints, where new GM Terry Fontenot rose through the ranks before becoming the man in charge in Atlanta. New Orleans traded up 13 times from 2011-20 — with zero trade downs. Atlanta traded up 12 times and traded down three times.

Dimitroff selected QB Matt Ryan with the No. 3 overall pick in his first draft as general manager back in 2008. Here, Fontenot trades up to No. 3 to get the franchise quarterback of the future in Atlanta. Lance started just one season at FCS North Dakota State, so this shouldn’t signal an immediate end to the Matt Ryan era, as he’ll need time to adjust to the NFL game.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 09:32 PM   #108
JPhillips
General Manager

Not sure I agree with the Bengals plan to let their two best defensive players walk.
Old 03-16-2021, 10:27 PM   #109
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I know just a hypothetical but I have no idea who Trey Lance is!

It is nice that Falcons own #4 pick this year.

2021 NFL Mock Draft: Falcons trade up for QB Trey Lance, WR Jaylen Waddle heads to Detroit to replace Kenny Golladay | NFL Draft | PFF

FWIW I was reading the chances of the Falcons taking a QB now is zero with the Ryan extension/restructure as he’s there for the next 3 years. Seems likely they will try to trade down as they are unlikely to take Sewell either with the Matthew’s extension.
Old 03-16-2021, 11:18 PM   #110
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Not sure I agree with the Bengals plan to let their two best defensive players walk.

It's the Bengals. I'm sure they know what they're doing

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 08:26 AM   #111
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Bengals plan

lol
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 08:30 AM   #112
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
FWIW I was reading the chances of the Falcons taking a QB now is zero with the Ryan extension/restructure as he’s there for the next 3 years. Seems likely they will try to trade down as they are unlikely to take Sewell either with the Matthew’s extension.

I think that actually tracks as the smart move for them... it weakens the Miami hand at pick 1.3 (though they remain well positioned for a trade-down, which I suspect is likely) but for Atlanta, they now can join the trade-down ranks. QB #3 or #4 may indeed be very attractive for someone, or by draft day perhaps we will see increased hype for T Sewell, one of the receivers, or maybe someone else.

The Giants were in the 1.4 slot last year and decided to sit tight and just take their own best fit guy... but they likely missed out on a nice haul had they traded down a few slots (and they still would likely have gotten the same player at pick 1.8 or so).
Old 03-17-2021, 08:35 AM   #113
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
This deal is the most blatant example of NFL contracts being stupid. The reality is nothing really changes with how much he'll actually earn but the headline will be 4 years and $140 mil for Taysom Hill.

Agree 100 percent. So much wrong with the NFL cap and contract structures/re-structuring.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 08:36 AM   #114
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Lol indeed.

Also, tip for the Vikings: if ever you look up and find yourself in a bidding war with the Bengals, Browns, and Jets, you might want to just back away and have a front office meeting where you can discuss where things went wrong.

HAHA
Old 03-17-2021, 08:56 AM   #115
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
It's probably too optimistic to wonder if the Patriots now may be appealing to one of the disgruntled star QBs.

But ya, Fitz would have been a great fit. I also wonder why we don't hear more about Gardner Minshew being available. Mariota would be interesting. All better options than Cam. I would be very surprised (but not shocked, because the Patriots are weird like this sometimes), if they went to camp with Newton/Stidham. I'd bet they find a QB in the draft and this is a position of big weakness overall in 2021, limiting their upside.

I must say this is certainly strange with what the Pats are doing. Normally, seeking out value and players that "fit." This feels more like just trying to get some decent players so the team doesnt completely fall of a cliff.

Nelson Agholor feels like a complete non-Patriot move. Non-productive and vastly overpaid.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 03-17-2021 at 08:56 AM.
Old 03-17-2021, 09:39 AM   #116
QuikSand
lolzcat

The only thing I see about the Agholor deal that makes Patriots sense to me is that it seems to have a lot of base salary, rather than fully vested bonus. So it may be more of a one-year deal with a team option.

I like their deal with Bourne a lot better, but... well, I don't really understand what they are doing over there.
Old 03-17-2021, 03:12 PM   #117
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Wait, Richie Incognito A) was still in the league and B) just got re-signed by the Raiders. Ummm, aren't you the guy who practically bullied another player into suicide, held all the team's O-line meetings in strip clubs, got committed to an involuntary psychiatric hold, threw dumbbells at gym patrons, and threatened to kill a funeral home's employees when they wouldn't let you cut off your dead father's head?
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 04:06 PM   #118
Kodos
Resident Alien

We've all made mistakes in life...
Old 03-17-2021, 07:24 PM   #119
Thomkal
Head Coach

My beloved Cards going all in after signing Watt, they trade for Pro Bowl Center Rodney Hudson and signed WR A.J. Green to a one year deal
Old 03-17-2021, 08:16 PM   #120
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
My beloved Cards going all in after signing Watt, they trade for Pro Bowl Center Rodney Hudson and signed WR A.J. Green to a one year deal

It's the NFL in the 2020s. Go all-in when you have the QB on the rookie deal.
Old 03-17-2021, 08:22 PM   #121
JPhillips
General Manager

HArd not to like what Washington is doing.
Old 03-18-2021, 10:09 AM   #122
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Not sure if this will have legs or not but imagine the impact if it does.

Texans QB Deshaun Watson facing more assault allegations?

If true then he's probably going to get suspended a year and his trade value would be severely diminished.
Old 03-18-2021, 12:28 PM   #123
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

If true then he's probably going to get suspended a year and his trade value would be severely diminished.

My buddy thinks that the Texans are somehow behind leaking all this to kill his trade value and make him have to come back and play for them.
Old 03-18-2021, 01:34 PM   #124
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
My buddy thinks that the Texans are somehow behind leaking all this to kill his trade value and make him have to come back and play for them.

It also wouldn't be the first time that the hometown keeps bad behavior under wraps until public opinion on the player shifts. If the locals feel like Watson is betraying them by his recent stances, it makes sense that people are no longer protecting him. I would see this type of stuff as more scorched Earth than trying to leverage him coming back to play. If some of this stuff is proven to be true, it is hard to see him continuing with his career (or at least as the face of any franchise).

As a Steelers' fan, we would occasionally hear odd things about Antonio Brown while he was still in Pittsburgh (a few driving citations or some off color quotes), but the floodgates sure opened up in a hurry when he demanded to be traded.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 02:18 PM   #125
sabotai
General Manager

Kenny Golladay meeting with the Giants today. *fingers crossed*
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 02:33 PM   #126
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Mitch Trubisky to the Bills.

I, for one, am happy to see that notorious Lion killer out of the NFC North! No doubt The Red Rifle will now have his way with the Lions.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 02:49 PM   #127
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
It also wouldn't be the first time that the hometown keeps bad behavior under wraps until public opinion on the player shifts. If the locals feel like Watson is betraying them by his recent stances, it makes sense that people are no longer protecting him. I would see this type of stuff as more scorched Earth than trying to leverage him coming back to play. If some of this stuff is proven to be true, it is hard to see him continuing with his career (or at least as the face of any franchise).
The lawyer filing them (in civil court, not criminal) was Bob McNair's neighbor & he was tweeting on Instagram about that 2 days ago? It's a weird situation https://twitter.com/uSTADIUM/status/1372027580048629760
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 03:01 PM   #128
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
I must say this is certainly strange with what the Pats are doing. Normally, seeking out value and players that "fit." This feels more like just trying to get some decent players so the team doesnt completely fall of a cliff.

Nelson Agholor feels like a complete non-Patriot move. Non-productive and vastly overpaid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
The only thing I see about the Agholor deal that makes Patriots sense to me is that it seems to have a lot of base salary, rather than fully vested bonus. So it may be more of a one-year deal with a team option.

I like their deal with Bourne a lot better, but... well, I don't really understand what they are doing over there.
The overall strategy makes a ton of sense - hoard cap space in one year when almost no teams have it, throw the comp pick strategy out the window for a year & load up on a bunch of solid free agents. And considering it's "day one" of FA & a lot of these guys were top tier players I don't think there's one huge overpay or anything that hamstrings them if the fit isn't right... but yeah either we draft a QB (Trey Lance!), trade for one (Derek Carr?), or Belichick really does try to prove he can win without a QB who can throw the ball. I think that team could make the playoffs (the September/pre-Cam getting Covid Patriots could've been 9-7/10-6) - and this is a better version of it with real TE's & like 5 defensive starters added (Hightower, Van Noy, Judon, Mills, Godchaux), but yeah I'm still not sure you can win a Super Bowl if your quarterback can't throw a 10 yard pass without bouncing it off the turf so we'll see if there's another QB move via draft or trade.
Old 03-18-2021, 04:21 PM   #129
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:

Hard to tell what is going on in these situations. The lawyer does seem sketchy. But there are "trouble" guys that always seem to have something hounding them, and Watson isn't one of those. I hope this is all false.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 03-18-2021 at 04:21 PM.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 05:41 PM   #130
AlexB
Pro Starter

Excited to see how Will Fuller can do at Miami. I haven’t seen enough of Tua to know if he has the arm to find him deep, but in theory Fuller, Parker, Williams and Geskicki look like a good base of targets, albeit all of them have durability issues
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 05:51 PM   #131
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

And word on what the new cap will look like with the new TV deal?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 05:56 PM   #132
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Hard to tell what is going on in these situations. The lawyer does seem sketchy. But there are "trouble" guys that always seem to have something hounding them, and Watson isn't one of those. I hope this is all false.

Agreed - I hope I didn’t sound like I was jumping to judgment on him. I’ve never heard anything bad about him and Clemson, to my knowledge, does not seem like a program that takes chances on guys with character issues. It’s all real surprising.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 08:03 PM   #133
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Kyle Fuller released by the Bears for cap room.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 08:16 PM   #134
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

new TV deals reached:

NFL announces TV deals with ESPN/ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, Amazon
Old 03-18-2021, 09:56 PM   #135
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

In hindsight, it seems like the NFL & the NFLPA could’ve agreed to keep the cap artificially high for this off-season in exchange for artificially lowering it for a few seasons when this deal kicks in. Player salaries are going to be all kind of wonky based solely on the year you happen to hit free agency or extension time. Seems very arbitrary.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 03-18-2021 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-19-2021, 02:34 AM   #136
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
In hindsight, it seems like the NFL & the NFLPA could’ve agreed to keep the cap artificially high for this off-season in exchange for artificially lowering it for a few seasons when this deal kicks in. Player salaries are going to be all kind of wonky based solely on the year you happen to hit free agency or extension time. Seems very arbitrary.

They actually did a bit. I think without the smoothing it'd be like 150-165 million.
Old 03-19-2021, 06:27 AM   #137
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Ah. Didn’t realize they had smoothed.

They’ll certainly have enough money to make up for that and then some.
Old 03-19-2021, 06:34 PM   #138
AlexB
Pro Starter

Texans QB Deshaun Watson facing four new lawsuits, bringing total to seven

This has all the hallmarks of the Bill Cosby/Jimmy Saville type cases - a snowball effect of multiple victims feeling emboldened to come forward. Although innocent until proven guilty, there is a pattern to these things

I hope I’m wrong because he is an amazing talent, but not looking good

Last edited by AlexB : 03-19-2021 at 06:36 PM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 06:38 PM   #139
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Detroit Lions Head Coach Dan Campbell on recently acquired defensive lineman Michael Brockers:

“ I’d say this about Brockers -- he’s probably one of the few in this league that can wield the hammer of Thor. So, we’re really excited about that.”
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 03-19-2021, 06:39 PM   #140
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
Texans QB Deshaun Watson facing four new lawsuits, bringing total to seven

This has all the hallmarks of the Bill Cosby/Jimmy Saville type cases - a snowball effect of multiple victims feeling emboldened to come forward. Although innocent until proven guilty, there is a pattern to these things

I hope I’m wrong because he is an amazing talent, but not looking good

It is not looking good at all. 12 accusers is a lot of accusers. The only thing about all of this is the timing, which, as the kids say these days, is a bit sus.
Old 03-19-2021, 06:59 PM   #141
bhlloy
Coordinator

Timing and the lawyers link with McNair but yeah... I mean the chances that they have found 12 separate people all willing to lie about this has got to be pretty small.
Old 03-19-2021, 07:04 PM   #142
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
It is not looking good at all. 12 accusers is a lot of accusers. The only thing about all of this is the timing, which, as the kids say these days, is a bit sus.

I wonder if this is a pattern of actions that the Texans were aware of and covered up. Once Watson started talking about being unhappy and wanting to be traded, the owner utilized the services of one of his friends to move this forward.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 07:53 PM   #143
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Gotta love the NFL comp pick system, which not even the league can understand Looks like the NFL just awarded the Patriots an extra draft pick - Pats Pulpit
Old 03-19-2021, 08:13 PM   #144
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
It's the NFL in the 2020s. Go all-in when you have the QB on the rookie deal.
In the 2010s an offense with Larry Fitzgerald, DeAndre Hopkins and A.J. Green would sound amazing.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 09:52 PM   #145
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Seems like the 17-game season got lost in the shuffle a bit. I hate the idea, especially with the NFL's injury & concussion issues the last thing they need is more games, and I hate that it adds another hiccup to comparing any modern stats.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 10:43 PM   #146
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Seems like the 17-game season got lost in the shuffle a bit. I hate the idea, especially with the NFL's injury & concussion issues the last thing they need is more games, and I hate that it adds another hiccup to comparing any modern stats.

Agreed.
Old 03-20-2021, 01:54 PM   #147
Atocep
Coordinator

Question for Georgia fans.

Did Isaiah Wilson show this many red flags at UGA?
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 02:05 PM   #148
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post

If they do anything they really need to cut the preseason in half. two games is more than enough to tell who is going to stick.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 02:18 PM   #149
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
If they do anything they really need to cut the preseason in half. two games is more than enough to tell who is going to stick.

You what nobody has ever said?

It's "I really missed the preseason last year"
Old 03-20-2021, 02:20 PM   #150
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
You what nobody has ever said?

It's "I really missed the preseason last year"

It really makes no sense. College teams have no pre-season games and in HS we have 1 pre-season scrimmage and that is pretty much standard, but of course the NFL makes money on those games, sooooo.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote