The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:45 PM   #2404
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Ball got stuck in the ivy, and they called a ground rule double.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
That's been the ground rule there since forever.

It certainly has, but that shouldn't mean it's a fair rule. Especially when it's a sinking line drive to right and the fielder dives & misses it and the ball rolls 50-75 feet to the wall with nobody in sight to pick it up. It should up to the umpires to place the runners on circumstances like tonight.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:55 PM   #2405
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I believe it IS their discretion. It's just never exercised. Ever.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:12 AM   #2406
Logan
Head Coach

The announcers made it seem like it was automatic, but I agree some discretion should be able to be used especially in an era of replay. I certainly understand it being an automatic double on the 99% of times that rule was put in place for, that being a ball directly into the ivy or on a normal gapper.

Also agree the strike zone stunk. It was very tight on the lefty side of the plate and pretty wide right.

I took this pic from the first inning and sent it to my Mets group text.

Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 11:58 AM   #2407
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
I believe it IS their discretion. It's just never exercised. Ever.

To those that think there is discretion I've watched the Cubs since the WGN became a superstation and I have never heard that at all. It has always been the same as a "bounce over the wall" ground rule double, that is automatic. Maybe I'm wrong and somebody has some documentation saying there is discretion?

I have zero problem with the rule as it is discussed before every game and they even showed the Mets, in practice, telling a young player about the rule. So where did the argument even come from? If that play cost the Cubs a run I'm simply sitting there thinking "damnit that sucks" and move on. No different than a bounce over the wall GRD.

I guess in the end it we argue for discretion on this play why not on a bounce over the wall GRD? We have the replay and can see where everyone is on the field so lets do it? Stop the game and let the umps decide? God I hope not.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 12:10 PM   #2408
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
This link doesn't seem to indicate discretion:

Wrigley Field
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 12:34 PM   #2409
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
To those that think there is discretion I've watched the Cubs since the WGN became a superstation and I have never heard that at all. It has always been the same as a "bounce over the wall" ground rule double, that is automatic. Maybe I'm wrong and somebody has some documentation saying there is discretion?

I have zero problem with the rule as it is discussed before every game and they even showed the Mets, in practice, telling a young player about the rule. So where did the argument even come from? If that play cost the Cubs a run I'm simply sitting there thinking "damnit that sucks" and move on. No different than a bounce over the wall GRD.

I guess in the end it we argue for discretion on this play why not on a bounce over the wall GRD? We have the replay and can see where everyone is on the field so lets do it? Stop the game and let the umps decide? God I hope not.

Well now that we have replay trying to determine if a player comes off the base for a microsecond while popping up from a slide, no I wouldn't be surprised if GRD eventually get judgment applied to them. But unless physics change and a 220 ft pop up can somehow end up bouncing over the wall, we're really just talking about these very unique scenarios when the rule, or a new rule, could potentially be applied.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:11 PM   #2410
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I'm fairly certain the Ivy Rule isn't a judgement call at all. It's two bases, period, move on.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 01:17 PM   #2411
Logan
Head Coach

Okay, Ted Barrett’s Zone Was Crazy Pants | FanGraphs Baseball
Old 10-21-2015, 05:00 PM   #2412
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Boy, game changing missed calls in the last pitch of the Bautista at-bat. Thankful this isn't a game 7 that's being decided on those calls.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:03 PM   #2413
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Well now that we have replay trying to determine if a player comes off the base for a microsecond while popping up from a slide.

Yeah, this review is one that really ruins the game for me and goes down the path of the minutia the NFL gets into and is one reason I feared replay coming into MLB to start with. This and the neighborhood play should be exempt from overturning a call. Someone is going to get hurt trying to literally stick to the bag when going at full speed. To be clear I am talking about the microsecond popup or foot hits bag, runner lifts to keep from jamming anything and leg\butt then immediately comes back in contact with bag.

The NFL started with just wanting to get a fumble right because it happened in the playoffs, no problem. But it morphed into football move (which seems to come and go under different names), tuck rule, control ball all the way to the ground on a catch but if you run the ball in it's over as soon as it touches the line, etc. etc. etc.

Baseball just wanted Homers called correctly. Expands to calls on the foul lines and calls at 1b, then all bases. These things are ok but then comes the minutia of each play IE the microsecond plays. Then a once in 50 year play happens at Wrigley and guess what? We want to add more. But of course we are fine with never being able to challenge a ball or a strike? Really? Far more games are won or lost on a bad B-S call then any GRD. Since there are already plays that can't be reviewed what makes GRDs more important, and especially this "once in 50 years" GRD, more important that it needs to be reviewable?

With regard to strike ball calls..

Eckersly was asked during a Cards-Cubs game what he would throw if he were pitching to the current batter that had 2 strikes on him. He answered, paraphrasing now, that he would throw it over the LH batter's box (RHB at the plate) and see if the ump would call it a strike. His comment was based on the fact the HP umpire had called several strikes out there that were waaayyyy off the plate(you could put 4 or 5 ball icons they use between the called strike and the actual outside corner of the zone). And of course a ball that is literally anywhere from 8 inches to a foot off the plate cannot be challenged and reviewed. Does that make sense? The technology is there to review it but by rule it can't be.

No inning ever ended on a GRD. How many have ended on a strike that can't be challenged. How many have continued on a strike that was called a ball? If we want to add a play to the "challenge" list how about B-S before anything else?
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:13 PM   #2416
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
What still have Price up?

Throw day?
Old 10-21-2015, 05:16 PM   #2417
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Boy, game changing missed calls in the last pitch of the Bautista at-bat. Thankful this isn't a game 7 that's being decided on those calls.

I agree that looked like a strike on replay, but after throwing so many fastballs in a row, it's no surprise that the ump wasn't prepared to call a snapping pitch just over the bottom corner.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:36 PM   #2418
General Mike
Pro Starter

Let's do this.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:57 PM   #2419
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Proud of the Jays for battling, but as Pete Rose said, the offense really hasn't produced much except in that one game where they kinda needed to padding for almost choke jobbing it at the end.

Still my mantra has been this team really did not show any signs of being here as recently as July or August...so...I'm really enjoying the ride and I'd prefer it not end yet.

It's a tall order, but...one more game at a time.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:05 PM   #2420
Mota
College Benchwarmer

After burning through all the relievers yesterday, nice to see a good long start from Estrada. I'm completely shocked at all the 4-5 inning starts from all the starters in these playoffs, nobody is really getting a chance to throw 7-8 innings.

Now Price needs to get out of his own head and just pitch.

Kudos to Kansas City for bringing it, this has been a pretty crazy series already.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:20 PM   #2421
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

Wait till next year...
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:09 PM   #2422
kingfc22
Head Coach

Daniel Murphy. Man talk about being in the zone.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:08 PM   #2423
MrBug708
Head Coach

MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 11:57 PM   #2424
Logan
Head Coach

Wow. Never EVER imagined this could have happened a few months ago. Just unbelievable.
Old 10-22-2015, 12:15 AM   #2425
Logan
Head Coach

Cool pic. The one guy in the crowd watching everyone celebrate is Sandy Alderson.

Old 10-22-2015, 05:53 AM   #2426
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Wow. Never EVER imagined this could have happened a few months ago. Just unbelievable.

Same here. Considering back in July I didn't think the Mets were even going to make a trade, and now we're here. So happy. About the only sports thing that could make me happier is a Rutgers Rose Bowl.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
Old 10-22-2015, 06:32 AM   #2427
BillJasper
Pro Starter

The Cubs had a good year and have a great nucleus moving forward. The NLCS loss probably stings right now, but I have a feeling the fans will be entertained by this team for the next decade.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:10 AM   #2428
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
Proud of the Jays for battling, but as Pete Rose said, the offense really hasn't produced much except in that one game where they kinda needed to padding for almost choke jobbing it at the end.

Still my mantra has been this team really did not show any signs of being here as recently as July or August...so...I'm really enjoying the ride and I'd prefer it not end yet.

It's a tall order, but...one more game at a time.

Great fight back by the Jays yesterday. Absolutely all of the pressure is on KC right now. Only one of these teams wants a game seven.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:35 AM   #2429
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Disappointed obviously, but you know what, we had an incredibly good season (way above anyone's expectations really), and we have a whole slew of young talent locked up here for a long time. There's a good chance the Cubs will be a playoff caliber team for quite some time.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:39 AM   #2430
Logan
Head Coach

I don't think this will be the last Mets-Cubs NLCS.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:48 AM   #2431
MrBug708
Head Coach

Dodgers fire Donny Baseball
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:23 AM   #2432
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Re: Cubs

Baseball is finicky. You can't always count on next year. But, if there is a team that looks to have a bright future it's the Cubs. I wouldn't be to terribly disappointed to be a Cubs fan.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:38 AM   #2433
Johnny93g
College Starter

Super proud of Estrada and everyone on the Jays. Great fight back, and holding out hopes that we ain't done yet! Regardless, i love watching these guys and have had a very enjoyable 7 months!

Congrats to Mets fans. I envy you all right now!!!
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:08 AM   #2434
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

So fucking happy and bewildered - how in the world did this happen?

Also, on that note... so fucking hungover at work... ugh... but worth it.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:14 AM   #2435
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post

He should have gotten rid of those sideburns.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:28 AM   #2436
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I agree that looked like a strike on replay, but after throwing so many fastballs in a row, it's no surprise that the ump wasn't prepared to call a snapping pitch just over the bottom corner.

Salvador mentioned after the game that the umpire told him to apologize to Volquez because he felt he missed the call. Good move by the ump. I did that a couple times when I was an umpire. Catcher and pitcher will respect you more for doing that.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:02 AM   #2437
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:

Surprised it took this long.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:26 AM   #2438
Ramzavail
College Starter

I just thought, we are the guys that belly flop in LF, we are the guys that drop a 3rd strike and let the opposition score, we are the guys that sleep on a shift and let someone else take an extra base, we are the guys that someone would inexplicably hit 5 homeruns against US. I really haven't known what to say for a few days now but its unbelievable. I went to the first game that Cespedes played at Citi vs the Nats, they were like 3 games over and 3 games back - if anybody would have said then, then Mets would sweep the Cubs in the NLCS, I would have laughed. Even if you said that in August or September or even October 4th, I would have laughed.

I feel like I've seen a few unbelievable playoff runs, 88 Dodgers, 90 Reds, 04 Red Sox, but those teams were good going into the season and throughout. Maybe 06 Cards, that team was pretty crappy I guess there are the 69 Mets too
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:39 AM   #2439
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't think this will be the last Mets-Cubs NLCS.

Betchya it is, or at least within the current generation.

Both teams are terrific and talented with great young talent, but I have learned over the years that baseball is a very fickle sport.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 01:55 PM   #2440
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

C'mon Canada! It's not like the hockey best-of-7 works any different than a baseball best-of-7 when your team is down 3-2!!!

Old 10-22-2015, 01:56 PM   #2441
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I think I'm in the camp that says this pretty much had to happen. They may not find the post-season answer but it seemed to be clear that he wasn't it.
Old 10-22-2015, 02:45 PM   #2442
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
C'mon Canada! It's not like the hockey best-of-7 works any different than a baseball best-of-7 when your team is down 3-2!!!

At least in the actual pole that second option is just A loss.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 02:48 PM   #2443
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Betchya it is, or at least within the current generation.

Both teams are terrific and talented with great young talent, but I have learned over the years that baseball is a very fickle sport.

Yeah, how did that Nationals dynasty when they shut down Strasburg turn out?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 04:37 PM   #2444
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Apparently there are smart people and dumb people in every country. That was probably written by someone who doesn't even follow sports in any way.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:10 PM   #2445
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Holy crap! I was just reminded today that Zach Wheeler is going to be coming back from TJ next season... now please keep Cespedes and it could be a really fun next few years.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:02 PM   #2446
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Holy crap! I was just reminded today that Zach Wheeler is going to be coming back from TJ next season... now please keep Cespedes and it could be a really fun next few years.

There's no way that Cespedes plays up to whatever ridiculous contract he gets. The Mets should still probably suck it up and spend the money, but he's going to have some bad years at the back end of his contract.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:14 PM   #2447
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
There's no way that Cespedes plays up to whatever ridiculous contract he gets. The Mets should still probably suck it up and spend the money, but he's going to have some bad years at the back end of his contract.

You're probably right about him on the back end of the deal, but the Mets need some kind of major bat in the middle of the lineup. His numbers at Citi Field aren't that impressive, but he did tear it up on the road.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
Old 10-23-2015, 07:52 PM   #2448
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

I don't think the Mets really need Cespedes and I fully expect both he and Murphy to be gone next season. What they need is better health more than anything. Granderson, Conforto, and a healthy Lagares is a good OF. Wright, Flores, Herrera, Duda, and d'Arnaud are good as well.

Gavin Cecchini and Brandon Nimmo should both be ready to provide depth by midseason next year. Neither is an impact player like Conforto, but both should be solid players.

Cespedes has been a low OBP, 3-4 win player outside of this season and it's highly unlikely he gets any better. The mets don't need to pay big money for that type of production. d'Arnaud missed 95 games and Wright missed 125. Better health from those 2 makes up for Cespedes missing from the lineup.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:08 PM   #2449
MikeVic
Head Coach

Holy what's this BS with interviewing that kid that caught the HR ball? Leave the poor guy alone. "One more time, how did you catch it?" Lol.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:11 PM   #2450
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I also like where he says he caught it when the replay clearly shows his glove hitting the inside of the fence when he caught it. Fan interference should not equal a home run.

Last edited by Mota : 10-23-2015 at 08:11 PM.