Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-13-2004, 08:09 PM   #1
Miller Time
H.S. Freshman Team

Downloading Music Legally??

Hey guys,

My dad recently got a new computer and he wants to download a burn cds legally. In the past I used Napster, then Kazzaa but neither of those were "legal". I know Napster is safe to use now, but you can only use it in the US (I'm in Canada).

I found the site MP3entertainment.com, but I don't think it is legit. He doesn't mind paying the .99 or so per song.

Does anyone have any suggestions???

Thanks!

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 08:10 PM   #2
samifan24
Pro Starter

You might try BuyMusic.com or the Apple store.
Old 03-13-2004, 08:11 PM   #3
mckerney
Coordinator

www.musicrebellion.com - probably can get some of the best deals here. I use Napster mostly though.

Last edited by mckerney : 03-13-2004 at 08:15 PM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 08:15 PM   #4
SackAttack
Head Coach

iTunes is great, from what I've heard. I use MusicNow, but the selection isn't quite what I'd like there. It's good, but their focus is less on older rock/country (which is what I listen to) and more on hip hop and the crap they call contemporary pop rock.

Just my two cents.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 08:16 PM   #5
McSweeny
College Starter

from what i've heard iTunes is really good. I'd give that shot. The preview song feature is great
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 08:18 PM   #6
Miller Time
H.S. Freshman Team

Thanks guys, I'll set him up with one of those. That is what I love about this site, you can always find help with anything.

Thanks again.
Old 03-13-2004, 08:18 PM   #7
SackAttack
Head Coach

Oh. fair warning, some of these services require specific operating systems. If you're on Windows XP, you're fine, but if you're still on 98, you might run into problems with a couple of them. (I'm on 98, and MusicNow works great, FYI).
Old 03-13-2004, 08:26 PM   #8
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

I would say iTunes by Apple. The iTunes software is of the quality you would expect from Apple and it allows you to preview a cd, purchase and download the mp3s, organize and listen to them, and even burn music cds. The software is free and works with Windows/Mac. The prices are .99 for a song and 9.99 for a full album.
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 08:28 PM   #9
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

iTunes for sure,
Old 03-13-2004, 08:28 PM   #10
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

I tunes is great, but raphsody (sp ?) is supposed to be pretty cool as well.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 08:31 PM   #11
clintl
College Starter

Emusic.com is another place, although I am annoyed with them at the moment, and may cancel my subscription because of recent changes.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 09:34 PM   #12
Front Office Midget
High School Varsity

Purevolume.com man... it's the new mp3.com
Front Office Midget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 09:56 PM   #13
Dutch
"Dutch"

Great question. I have been wondering this myself. I'll have to check these out. 99 cents a song? I can live with that and put my renegade past behind me.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 10:14 PM   #14
Simms
FOBL Commish

iTunes (the store) isn't available in Canada yet.

I know there are a couple of Canadian-run setups that are similar, but I highly doubt that any of them have anywhere near the library to choose from that iTunes (or even Napster) does. Can't think of their names off-hand, but I'll see what I can find.
Old 03-13-2004, 10:31 PM   #15
SackAttack
Head Coach

Didn't the Canadian courts (or maybe the Canadian equivalent of the FCC) recently issue a ruling regarding downloaded music? I could've sworn I read something about the RIAA not being happy because the Canadian agency, whichever it was, said "yeah, go ahead, download all the music you want, we'll tax the media you burn it to in order to compensate the artists."
Old 03-13-2004, 11:15 PM   #16
Shucker
n00b

Isn't Wal-Mart supposed to have an 88 cent site? Haven't been there, but I thought I had heard that. Not a big difference in absolute price, but it would be 11% cheaper if that is the case.
Shucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 11:27 PM   #17
AgPete
College Prospect

You guys that mentioned ITunes, I checked that site out the other day and it looks like I can only burn the music to a CD or transfer it to the Apple MP3 player. I've been trying to find a legal service lately that just gives me the MP3 file and lets me do whatever I want to with it. I have an MP3 player, it's an RCA and it uses the MusicMatch jukebox software to transfer songs. I can transfer any MP3 file. Are all the legal music services regulated? Are there any that just allow you to grab the song and don't have to be compliant with a particular brand of MP3 player. I checked Napster and it said it only worked with about 5-8 specific models of MP3 players.
AgPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 11:30 PM   #18
Nyarlahotep
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shucker
Isn't Wal-Mart supposed to have an 88 cent site? Haven't been there, but I thought I had heard that. Not a big difference in absolute price, but it would be 11% cheaper if that is the case.

And 75% more edited.
Nyarlahotep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 12:01 AM   #19
sabotai
General Manager

It's probably best to sign up for a few of them. I have iTunes and it doesn't have all of the stuff I want. I'll probably end up signing up for another one just so I have a wider selection.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 12:03 AM   #20
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
I've been trying to find a legal service lately that just gives me the MP3 file and lets me do whatever I want to with it.

That's going to be a problem. The whole point of limiting use is to make sure people don't just download the song and then throw it up to KaZaA.

Well...you could technically do that. But the files you download gets "stamped" with your info. So if you pirated it, they could track you.

That's not to say that people haven't found ways around that though...
Old 03-14-2004, 12:11 AM   #21
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
That's going to be a problem. The whole point of limiting use is to make sure people don't just download the song and then throw it up to KaZaA.

Well...you could technically do that. But the files you download gets "stamped" with your info. So if you pirated it, they could track you.

That's not to say that people haven't found ways around that though...

Napster deals in .wma files, and being I want my music to be in .mp3 I just burn it onto a CD-RW and then rip it off of there as an MP3.

As far as pricing goes, Music Rebellion has the lowest prices on some songs. I've seen as low as $.30 at times, with low prices on some albums as well ($4.29 for It's Hard to Find a Friend with 12 songs, and not to mention that they're the only site I've seen so far with a decent Pedro the Lion selection). It's in .wma as well, but most of their stuff is burnable so it's not an issue.

Last edited by mckerney : 03-14-2004 at 12:15 AM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 12:20 AM   #22
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Napster deals in .wma files, and being I want my music to be in .mp3 I just burn it onto a CD-RW and then rip it off of there as an MP3.

Yeah, that's a way to get around it that I forgot about.
Old 03-14-2004, 12:20 AM   #23
AgPete
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney

That's good to hear. Glad to know I can convert it to an MP3 so I can use it in the MP3 player.
Old 03-14-2004, 08:35 AM   #24
Dutch
"Dutch"

iTunes is great (and a lot of fun). I just downloaded 12 songs. Price of an album. But they are in M4P format? What the heck is that and how do I get them in MP3 format?
Old 03-14-2004, 09:44 AM   #25
Miller Time
H.S. Freshman Team

A lot of the sites are for US residents only, emusic looks like one I'll set up but it would be nice to view their catalogue of music before I set up an account (my dad likes a lot of the old time stuff). I haven't had much luck finding any Canadian sites of any quality but I'll keep looking.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:45 AM   #26
Miller Time
H.S. Freshman Team

my mistake, you can view their catalogue before setting up.
Old 03-14-2004, 11:03 AM   #27
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
iTunes is great (and a lot of fun). I just downloaded 12 songs. Price of an album. But they are in M4P format? What the heck is that and how do I get them in MP3 format?

Well, like was said before, you could burn it to a CD and then rip it off as MP3. I don't think there is a program to convert M4P to MP3 yet, but wait long enough and someone out there will make it.
Old 03-14-2004, 11:13 AM   #28
Dutch
"Dutch"

Ahhh, I had iTunes configured to burn MP3's to the disk, but it would fail. I changed the configuration to 'data' burn and it's burning now.
Old 03-14-2004, 11:24 AM   #29
sabotai
General Manager

That's not going to work. It's just going to burn the files "as is" to the CD. You need to burn it to a CD as an Audio CD.
Old 03-14-2004, 11:34 AM   #30
Dutch
"Dutch"

You are correct. Now I have a bunch of M4P's on a CD. Lot of good that does me. Audio CD it is. Then I can rip them back to MP3. That kind of leaves me where I was for buying CD's at the store, however...but with the benefit of picking and choosing which individual songs I want.

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-14-2004, 11:38 AM   #31
Shucker
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyarlahotep
And 75% more edited.

Really? How do you mean? They go in and remove "objectionable language"?
Shucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 11:47 AM   #32
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shucker
Really? How do you mean? They go in and remove "objectionable language"?

Well, I'd imagine it's just like actual Wal-Mart stores handle objectionable material: they only sell edited versions of those CDs. If you went to Wal-Mart and wanted to buy a CD with objectionable material on it, you'd be stuck with the edited version only. Like I said, I'd imagine that wal-mart.com has the same policy for their downloadable material.
Old 03-14-2004, 11:58 AM   #33
3ric
College Starter

A Canadian resident can use Itunes if you can get a friend in the US to act as a front, using his/her street address/zip code when registering. I have a friend here in Europe who uses Itunes with his US-based friend's permission... if anyone would ask, he'll just say he's at that address currently. Silly, but it works.
Old 03-19-2004, 08:44 AM   #34
AgPete
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney

As far as pricing goes, Music Rebellion has the lowest prices on some songs. I've seen as low as $.30 at times, with low prices on some albums as well ($4.29 for It's Hard to Find a Friend with 12 songs, and not to mention that they're the only site I've seen so far with a decent Pedro the Lion selection). It's in .wma as well, but most of their stuff is burnable so it's not an issue.

I took the plunge and signed up for Napster. Which utility do you use to convert the song into an MP3? I want to listen to the songs I paid for on my MP3 player but only a few types are compatible with Napster.

I love Napster's one hit wonder radio station. LOL Half of my library are songs from that station. It's a trip down memory lane listening to all those songs that I forgot about.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:06 AM   #35
Easy Mac

http://www.cdex.n3.net/
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 09:29 AM   #37
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I use allofmp3.com

2.5 GB of music (and *I* choose the bitrates) for $25
Old 03-19-2004, 05:48 PM   #38
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac

I just used this for the first time with ripping a iTunes CD I made....it took about forever. Does ripping 15 songs from an audio CD take a while? (I think it was at least 2 hours....I let it run after I went to sleep).
Old 03-19-2004, 06:03 PM   #39
Easy Mac

hmm, it was probably going to take me about 25 minutes. I used I tunes to rip songs to mp3s and it took about 7 minutes. You might be best off just burning Itunes music to an audio cd, then using Itunes to rip the songs to mp3's (at least 192 kb).
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 08:59 PM   #40
Dutch
"Dutch"

Easy,

That's what I'm doing, maybe my settings were off or my burner sucks. I'll have to run it again. If it only take half an hour, I would be much happier.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:24 PM   #41
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24
Well, I'd imagine it's just like actual Wal-Mart stores handle objectionable material: they only sell edited versions of those CDs. If you went to Wal-Mart and wanted to buy a CD with objectionable material on it, you'd be stuck with the edited version only. Like I said, I'd imagine that wal-mart.com has the same policy for their downloadable material.

Which is why they don't have a rap section.

Last edited by Buccaneer : 03-19-2004 at 09:25 PM.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 09:27 PM   #42
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I find all of this interesting. Before, it was the thieves and their stupid rational vs. those rightly calling them thieves. Now we all can do what is a great idea (downloading copyrightable materials for a fee, legally). Isn't this a much better way?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 12:20 AM   #43
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
I find all of this interesting. Before, it was the thieves and their stupid rational vs. those rightly calling them thieves. Now we all can do what is a great idea (downloading copyrightable materials for a fee, legally). Isn't this a much better way?

Just think what things could be like know if the record company execs had gotten their heads out of the asses years ago.
Old 03-20-2004, 01:00 AM   #44
AgPete
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
Just think what things could be like know if the record company execs had gotten their heads out of the asses years ago.

I'd like to see the film industry following the recording industry's path. With big screen TVs and home theater systems, who needs the freaking theater anymore. Stream that bad boy directly to my house and skip the babies crying and Siskel & Ebert wanna-bes that sit two rows back.

Last edited by AgPete : 03-20-2004 at 01:01 AM.
Old 03-20-2004, 12:20 PM   #45
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgPete
I'd like to see the film industry following the recording industry's path. With big screen TVs and home theater systems, who needs the freaking theater anymore. Stream that bad boy directly to my house and skip the babies crying and Siskel & Ebert wanna-bes that sit two rows back.

Two rows back? You're lucky, they always seem to sit right fuckin behind me. Case in point, when I went to see LOTR: ROTK, the theater was half full, and I'm sitting off to the side, away from everyone (Where I like to be...away from people). In comes this coupel with their kid and the woman would not shut up! Every ten seconds, she said something else. About 10 minutes into the movie, I get up and move. First time I had to move to get away from someone. (Every other time, the people behind me say stuff and be quiet again for awhile. This time...god damn, she could not stop talking)

Anyway, I agree. That'd be a cool idea if they could do it right.

Last edited by sabotai : 03-20-2004 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-20-2004, 01:40 PM   #46
Dutch
"Dutch"

I actually taught my kids how to behave in public. What a concept!
Old 03-20-2004, 01:43 PM   #47
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
I actually taught my kids how to behave in public. What a concept!

Teaching kids to behave in public...that's so crazy it might actually work!
Old 03-20-2004, 01:49 PM   #48
Dutch
"Dutch"

Old 04-29-2004, 04:58 PM   #49
Yossarian
High School Varsity

1 cent per megabyte.

Seemingly legal - but probably in a very 'grey' kind of way.

amazing though. Just downloaded 5 albums for about $2.50

http://www.allofmp3.com

btw... a 'VIP' user is just a registered user who has added money to the account.
Yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 05:21 PM   #50
sabotai
General Manager

It's a company located in Russia, fwiw.