Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-20-2004, 08:33 PM   #1
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

OT - Senator says the US may need draft

Link here: Senator says US may need compulsory service to boost Iraq force

Full Text:
Senator says US may need compulsory service to boost Iraq force
WASHINGTON (AFP) - A senior Republican lawmaker said that deteriorating security in Iraq (news - web sites) may force the United States to reintroduce the military draft.

"There's not an American ... that doesn't understand what we are engaged in today and what the prospects are for the future," Senator Chuck Hagel told a Senate Foreign Relations Committee hearing on post-occupation Iraq.
"Why shouldn't we ask all of our citizens to bear some responsibility and pay some price?" Hagel said, arguing that restoring compulsory military service would force "our citizens to understand the intensity and depth of challenges we face."

The Nebraska Republican added that a draft, which was ended in the early 1970s, would spread the burden of military service in Iraq more equitably among various social strata.

"Those who are serving today and dying today are the middle class and lower middle class," he observed.

The call to consider a imposing a draft comes just days after the Pentagon (news - web sites) moved to extend the missions of some 20,000 of the 135,000 US troops in Iraq.

Some critics of the US-led occupation complain that military planners used too few troops to subdue Iraq, and insist that more military muscle will be needed to restore order.

The US-led military coalition was put under further strain by the announcement this week by coalition members Spain and Honduras that they would withdraw their military contingents from Iraq.

Meanwhile, witnesses at the hearing, including academics and former US officials, expressed concern about ongoing flareups of violence in Iraq this month -- the bloodiest yet for US troops.

"I think it's clear that pressures in Iraq have reached the boiling point," said Samuel Berger, national security adviser during the Bill Clinton (news - web sites) administration, who called for an increase in troops there, and a "genuine, non-grudging effort to internationalize the enterprise in Iraq, both military and civilian."

"We've got to be prepared to give up our hammerlock on decision making in exchange for genuine burden sharing."

Richard Perle, a former White House adviser who currently serves as a fellow at a conservative think tank, advised against adding troops or extending the date of handover of Iraqi sovereignty beyond the currently-set June 30 date.

"It is essential that we not delay the handover of sovereignty set for the end of June, even if there is continuing violence by those who know they have no place in a decent, democratic Iraq," he said.

Perle also warned against entrusting the United Nations (news - web sites) with the post-occupation administration of Iraq, saying UN involvement should be kept at "an absolute minimum."

"A large UN contingent in Iraq ... would do more harm than good," Perle said.

"It would discourage the assumption of sovereignty by Iraqis themselves. It would drain resources urgently needed for the development of Iraq's economy," Perle said.

A senior Democrat meanwhile, lashed out at the White House for failing to send a top administration official to appear before the panel.

"I think it is outrageous that the administration has not provided every witness we've asked for," said Senator Joseph Biden, the highest-ranking Democrat on the committee.

"The fact that they are not prepared to send a witness means that they are either totally incompetent and they don't have anything to tell us ... or they're refusing to allow us to fulfill our constitutional responsibility" of congressional oversight, Biden said.

The committee's Republican chairman, Richard Lugar, also slammed the White House for "inadequate planning and communication related to Iraq."

NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 08:42 PM   #2
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Anybody know of any good places to stay in Canada?
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 08:43 PM   #3
Axxon
Pro Starter

I thought this was going to be about our fellow FOFCer.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:43 PM   #4
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Join the ROTC - Run Over To Canada.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 08:44 PM   #5
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon
I thought this was going to be about our fellow FOFCer.

Don't feel bad, that was my first thought too.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 08:50 PM   #6
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Good thing canada is an hour and a half away
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 08:53 PM   #7
finkenst
College Benchwarmer

good thing i'm past draft age.
finkenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 08:58 PM   #8
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

they should do it. All the chickenhawks won't be so gung ho for pertetual war if it means buffy and sissy might have to go.
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 08:58 PM   #9
Poli
FOFC Survivor

This should read: Army and Marines may need draft. The Air Force and Navy have no problem in recruiting, to my knowledge.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:03 PM   #10
Axxon
Pro Starter

I think a draft would pretty much sink Bush's chance for reelection so it ain't gonna happen until after November if it does happen.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:04 PM   #11
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

Chuck Hagel is always rattling the cage. The Republicans don't take him too seriously. Recruting standards are way higher now than during the Cold War. They will lower standars to bring more folks in before doing the draft. If you are really worried about it, join volunteer for the AF and don't volunteer for pararescue, TACP, forward air control, or anything to do with TALCE and you'll likely stay well behind the lines.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:05 PM   #12
TLK
Pro Starter

but I'm an only son.....

Last edited by TLK : 04-20-2004 at 09:06 PM.
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 09:23 PM   #13
Dutch
"Dutch"

Kerry would be more likely to implement the draft than Bush. Good luck with that.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 09:24 PM   #14
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
Kerry would be more likely to implement the draft than Bush. Good luck with that.
This would seem to be a rather dubious statement. How do you figure?
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 09:26 PM   #15
Suicane75
Coordinator

What kind of signing bonus comes with being drafted first?
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 09:27 PM   #16
sabotai
General Manager

A draft for Iraq? But I thought the war was over....
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 09:30 PM   #17
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
A draft for Iraq? But I thought the war was over....
We won, remember. The aircraft carrier banner said so
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 09:32 PM   #18
33sherman
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabanci
they should do it. All the chickenhawks won't be so gung ho for pertetual war if it means buffy and sissy might have to go.

I agree. But something tells me buffy and sissy are going to be safe no matter what.
33sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 09:33 PM   #19
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMyths
This would seem to be a rather dubious statement. How do you figure?

Most of the people pushing for the draft in Congress have been Democrats arguing that "rich kids" don't serve their country.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 09:36 PM   #20
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby
We won, remember. The aircraft carrier banner said so

The only banner I had on the carrier was

"This party sucks."

Which hung in my shop.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:43 PM   #21
Hurst2112
College Starter

Draft huh? Sounds like I have to practice up on my flag and card burning skills.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 09:50 PM   #22
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
For you potential future draft dodgers

Many of the Vietnam era loopholes will be gone and some agreements with Canada will prevent the going north syndrome. you will have to try a little harder.

-----
Second, compulsory military service is not democratic. You have been enjoying the US for 18-24 years, time to pony up.

----

That said, I don't think we will see a draft.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:51 PM   #23
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

A just military cause will get enough volunteers. If you aren't getting enough volunteers, then the people in this country don't feel the cause is justified.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 09:53 PM   #24
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz
military service is not democratic.

Amen.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:00 PM   #25
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Second, compulsory military service is not democratic. You have been enjoying the US for 18-24 years, time to pony up.

I don't get where you're going with that. What is the connection between military service and a democracy. I've never thought of the two concepts being tied together, compulsory or not. Military service is a universal concept, no matter the type of government and I can't see where the implementation of the draft would vary based on the type of government.

Last edited by Axxon : 04-20-2004 at 10:01 PM.
Axxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 10:02 PM   #26
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Yeah they promise a draft but it never happens, some judge always steps in at the last minute and says I can't join. - Maurice Clarett
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 10:03 PM   #27
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Forced conscription is denying you a right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Are you a free man, or a slave that the government can force into military action at any time?
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 10:04 PM   #28
Easy Mac

yes
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 10:09 PM   #29
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardent enthusiast
Amen.

I still don't see why you guys are tying a form a government to the issue.

Service to ones country is a responsibility not a right says it better and it encapsulates even those who cannot serve in a military capacity.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:10 PM   #30
JeeberD
General Manager

If my country needs me to serve it, I will be more than happy to go. My father and my grandfather have both served in the Army and fought in wars for this country. I have no qualms with doing the same thing.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 10:15 PM   #31
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Axxon, I am not tying a form a govt to military service.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:15 PM   #32
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
If my country needs me to serve it, I will be more than happy to go. My father and my grandfather have both served in the Army and fought in wars for this country. I have no qualms with doing the same thing.

And it's people like your father and grandfather, my grandfather, and great grandfather, who gave me the right to say no to a draft. I thank men like that with all sincerity.

If my county needs me to serve it, take a number. My god and family are first.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:16 PM   #33
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
A just military cause will get enough volunteers. If you aren't getting enough volunteers, then the people in this country don't feel the cause is justified.

You think 11million people enlisted during ww2?

Last edited by Fritz : 04-20-2004 at 10:18 PM.
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 10:16 PM   #34
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch

Ugh...Not sure where you come up that statement. Kerry wants to hand over Iraq to the UN.
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 10:18 PM   #35
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112

Very well put, my outlook exactly.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:19 PM   #36
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Look, if you fellows don;t want a draft drop a note to your congressman.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:22 PM   #37
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
You think 11million people enlisted during ww2?

But isn't comparing the emotions and feelings of World War 2 to Iraq a big difference?
Old 04-20-2004, 10:24 PM   #38
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
And it's people like your father and grandfather, my grandfather, and great grandfather, who gave me the right to say no to a draft. I thank men like that with all sincerity.

The draft provides exceptions for both of these. I don't think this is a valid argument against the draft, which for the record I am against just for Iraq.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:25 PM   #39
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDancer
But isn't comparing the emotions and feelings of World War 2 to Iraq a big difference?

Certainly. I am just saying that we have used a draft since the Civil War. To tie military manpower needs to a just cause is faulty reasoning based on historic examples.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:28 PM   #40
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

FWIW, I am not in favor of a draft. Manpower levels are too low now because of congressional restrictions. Before we draft I think the military needs to be alloted more billets and given the opportunity to fill them through volunteer recruitment.

If we can't fill the needs through regular recruitment, then a draft is an option.
-------

Edit: The military information sources that I follow think any draft will be selective in that the govt will belooking for people with certain professional specilaties. Medical and technology types would be examples of who the govt would seek.

Last edited by Fritz : 04-20-2004 at 10:31 PM.
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 10:29 PM   #41
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Certainly. I am just saying that we have used a draft since the Civil War. To tie military manpower needs to a just cause is faulty reasoning based on historic examples.

I could use a draft right about now, but I'm still at work.

Wait a moment, only in the case of vietnam have WE used a draft on a questionable cause and it was in large part a negative reaction to that fact that ended the draft in the first place.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:30 PM   #42
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
The draft provides exceptions for both of these. I don't think this is a valid argument against the draft, which for the record I am against just for Iraq.

I wasn't aware that the draft had exceptions for family and religion. I was wrong (when are you gonna hear that posted on FOFC?!) That doesn't take away from what my relatives went to war for. It also doesn't detract from the fact that I am against any form of a draft.

But I can save that for another draft.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:32 PM   #43
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Wait a moment, only in the case of vietnam have WE used a draft on a questionable cause and it was in large part a negative reaction to that fact that ended the draft in the first place.

Do you wish to back that up with historic examples? I think you may have a hard time.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:32 PM   #44
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
I still don't see why you guys are tying a form a government to the issue.

Service to ones country is a responsibility not a right says it better and it encapsulates even those who cannot serve in a military capacity.

Perhaps you missed what I did. I took Fritz's post out of context.

Ever served? The military is hardly "democratic" at times.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:33 PM   #45
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
I wasn't aware that the draft had exceptions for family and religion.

No, you were probably more right than wrong.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:36 PM   #46
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
This should read: Army and Marines may need draft. The Air Force and Navy have no problem in recruiting, to my knowledge.

Haven't read this whole thread so I might be repeating, but let me back this up by saying I know for a fact the AF isn't having trouble filling slots as we're working on getting rid of about 14,000 bodies by the end of the year, hence how I'm managing to sneak out.

Not to say we aren't hard up for certain AFSC's though, but that's always the case.

I can't imagine us having a draft, but I wouldn't be one crying out against if it happened obviously. I think it would create more problems than it solved in the end, but I would enjoy seeing certain individuals get a taste of military life.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 10:38 PM   #47
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Do you wish to back that up with historic examples? I think you may have a hard time.

Since I'm saying that vietnam was the only time that this occured shouldn't you be providing the historic examples that prove otherwise? The other way seems counterintuitive.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:38 PM   #48
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Actually, if the draft is "re-enacted", aren't the guidelines made up when that happens? It isn't "pre-set".
Old 04-20-2004, 10:40 PM   #49
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Perhaps you missed what I did. I took Fritz's post out of context.

Ever served? The military is hardly "democratic" at times.

I did notice what you did but was focussed on my question.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:40 PM   #50
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis
Haven't read this whole thread so I might be repeating, but let me back this up by saying I know for a fact the AF isn't having trouble filling slots as we're working on getting rid of about 14,000 bodies by the end of the year, hence how I'm managing to sneak out.

Not to say we aren't hard up for certain AFSC's though, but that's always the case.

I can't imagine us having a draft, but I wouldn't be one crying out against if it happened obviously. I think it would create more problems than it solved in the end, but I would enjoy seeing certain individuals get a taste of military life.

Exactly. I joke that my schoolhouse has more mop buckets than students. Not true, but a far cry from what it used to be. The Navy is cutting jobs as it is.

Wish they'd cut mine.