Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Werewolf Games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-06-2007, 09:23 PM   #151
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post
Ouch! Who are you, Dorn?!? Questioning my value! I have the ability to sway a baseball game through motivation, late game replacements, etc. Hell, worse comes to worse, I can have a heart attack and Jake Taylor can give one of those sappy win one for the Gipper speeches!

Sorry. All these years of being a Pirates' fan has made me forget what a good manager can mean to a team.
Jonathan Ezarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:26 PM   #152
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

Ok, after going back and reading through the day again, I'm going to go ahead and throw a vote out there. I'm not convinced that he's evil, but what else do we have to go on today? Plus, I really don't like how he was so eager to get the first vote on hoopsguy, especially with the tie breakers being what they are. Throw in Lathum's vote immediately after Barkeep's and it smells fishy to me.

VOTE BARKEEP
Jonathan Ezarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:52 PM   #153
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ezarik View Post
Sorry. All these years of being a Pirates' fan has made me forget what a good manager can mean to a team.

Pirate fan here too, I'll just try to avoid bring Jim Tracy-like qualities to the Lou Brown era of the Indians!
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:01 PM   #154
hoopsguy
General Manager

For what it is worth, I got my answer from Chief via PM. I'm hoping that he will state the answer here as well.

Short version - it is up to us to figure out how talent is allocated. I'm sure he'll give a longer answer if he is so inclined. He is Chief Rum, so I would expect the longer answer
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:02 PM   #155
hoopsguy
General Manager

Barkeep, I'll accept an apology in the form of an unvote, even though you still have put me at risk on the vote tomorrow night.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:18 PM   #156
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
That is in the rules. I see nothing that talks about order of action, which is a key component of the effectiveness of a player.

I'm not suggesting that Jake Taylor is the bodyguard or something like that. I'm suggesting, without knowing one way or the other, that he is more likely to have the ability to impact the outcome of the game.

I'm more than willing to pose this question to the GM to answer. If he says that was determined through random.org, then I'm fine with coming forward with information on role.

I responded to hoops' query in a PM, but he wanted me to also state it here, which is fine.

I'm afriad I cannot offer any further guidance on if in-movie ability is related at all to the talent list. You all will have to work this out for yourselves.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:45 PM   #157
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Chief - will we publicly learn when a player has successfully used a "Step It Up" action to influence the outcome of a game? Is this captured in a night actions summary post, for example?

Yes, it should be clear from the right up, whose action was used, as it will be the key play of the game. If not, though, you can ask, and I will say explicitly. This will be publically revealed information at every deadline.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 08-06-2007 at 10:45 PM.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:47 PM   #158
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ezarik View Post
* I'm somewhat surprised that Lou Brown is in the game. I can see how the rest of us can "step up" to win a game, but what can a manager really do?.

You must be a sabermetrics fan.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:35 AM   #159
st.cronin
General Manager

Crafty lefty just now checking in, haven't yet read the rules or the thread.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:40 AM   #160
st.cronin
General Manager

Vote PurdueBrad

Staying away from hoops and Barkeep today.

knives out
Old 08-07-2007, 07:58 AM   #161
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Vote PurdueBrad

Staying away from hoops and Barkeep today.

Any real reason to vote for PB?

Other than the fact that we have to vote for someone and it's day one?

KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:44 AM   #162
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

VOTE ST. CRONIN

says he hasn't read the thread, then 5 minutes later votes for PurdueBrad without explanation.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:45 AM   #163
MikeVic
Head Coach

Ok, so we don't know if knowing which players we are affects the game at all. And I don't know who to vote for either.

Are we going to follow a schedule for the step-it-up?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:04 AM   #164
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Morning check-in from me. I feel like BK and hoops just always need to find something to argue about on Day 1 (didn't this just happen a game or two ago?), so I'm inclined to vote elsewhere. On the other hand, Barkeep's game has been pretty confusing, so I'm inclined to vote for him. It's a tough call at this point.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:23 AM   #165
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
Any real reason to vote for PB?

No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
Other than the fact that we have to vote for someone and it's day one?

Pretty much. Also an unusually high ratio of posts to useful posts.

And I just don't want to vote for BK or hoops, it has the smell of villager on villager crime. I'm willing to revisit it down the road, but not on day 1.

knives out
Old 08-07-2007, 09:25 AM   #166
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Ok, so we don't know if knowing which players we are affects the game at all. And I don't know who to vote for either.

Are we going to follow a schedule for the step-it-up?

Jack Parkman is steppin' it up tonight. Stand back.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:25 AM   #167
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I'm glad we've settled on confusing for me this game rather than aggressive. I was so tired of aggressive. Confusing is new and different.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:29 AM   #168
st.cronin
General Manager

I was going to describe BK as "aggressively confusing," but never mind.

knives out
Old 08-07-2007, 09:29 AM   #169
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
I'm glad we've settled on confusing for me this game rather than aggressive. I was so tired of aggressive. Confusing is new and different.

Seriously? You'd rather whine about it than clear it up?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:32 AM   #170
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
Jack Parkman is steppin' it up tonight. Stand back.

I'll have you know I'm a valuable member of this team, still able to contribute in any way I can. All that talk about retirement was nonsense.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:41 AM   #171
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
I'll have you know I'm a valuable member of this team, still able to contribute in any way I can. All that talk about retirement was nonsense.

Hey, Jack Parkman appreciates all that you little people do. I may even remember you when I give my Hall of Fame speech. But when it comes to winning the game, step aside old man.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:50 AM   #172
hoopsguy
General Manager

Current vote count:

Hoops - Barkeep (74), Lathum (75)
Barkeep - JE (152)
Purdue - Cronin (160)
Cronin - Torgo (162)
Old 08-07-2007, 09:54 AM   #173
KWhit
Coordinator

I wish I could join in all of this roleplaying, but I'm a no-name sucha nd such.

Oh yeah, I have haven't seen the movie in about 20 years, so I don't remember anything about it anyway.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:54 AM   #174
hoopsguy
General Manager

I've got two goals for today:
1. Get someone to attract more votes than me (duh)
2. Get some more conversation on the "step it up" action plan. We need to have a structure in place with enough time for people to act upon it. A couple of us have floated an initial plan - do people see a better approach than the one listed in the thread? Weaknesses in the current plan that we can address?
Old 08-07-2007, 09:55 AM   #175
KWhit
Coordinator

Obviously, that should read:

Oh yeah, I haven't seen the movie in about 20 years, so I don't remember anything about it anyway.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:55 AM   #176
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Seriously? You'd rather whine about it than clear it up?
Wasn't a whine, was more relief.

Not sure what people find confusing about it at this point, as I thought I'd responded to anything specific. If you want to state what you find confusing I can respond to it.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:56 AM   #177
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
I've got two goals for today:
1. Get someone to attract more votes than me (duh)
2. Get some more conversation on the "step it up" action plan. We need to have a structure in place with enough time for people to act upon it. A couple of us have floated an initial plan - do people see a better approach than the one listed in the thread? Weaknesses in the current plan that we can address?
Biggest weakness is the uncertainty over who will still be around due to lynchings/kills. Otherwise I'm all for it and will step up my rather weak game whenever I'm asked.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:57 AM   #178
hoopsguy
General Manager

Barkeep, I'm confused why you have left your vote on me.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:01 AM   #179
hoopsguy
General Manager

Also, the "pity party" Barkeep is less fun than the aggressive Barkeep, who is less fun than the cerebral/engaged Barkeep. Just my $.02.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:09 AM   #180
Celeval
Pro Starter

I've been reading but not posting much yet - I, like most, don't see a very specific target for day one yet. Nor will I be stepping it up tonight. Not that I'm sure my stepping it up will help much - I would be very surprised if I was one of the better players on the team. And Parkman, despite being an ass, is a pretty good ballplayer, so if he's stepping it up tonight, I'll stay out of his way.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:12 AM   #181
hoopsguy
General Manager

Another note - I'm not looking to get people to reveal their character just yet but I am concerned that two different people have hinted at the Jake Taylor character. Now maybe I'm not reading the tea leaves correctly, as neither participant has outright claimed the role.

Has anyone else seen this? If you look back at my posted list from yesterday, you will see that I thought Celeval was claiming Jake (post #69) but today Mike Vic (post #170) said something about retirement. This was on top of him saying he was indispensible yesterday.

Looking at those two posts - I'll pull them up in a couple of minutes - do people see other players that those guys might be? I feel like I know the first movie pretty well, even if it has been years since I watched it, but there are undoubtedly others out there who know the movie better.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:19 AM   #182
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval View Post
*bleary-eyed* Damnit, this is starting already? Christ, I'm hung over, my knees are killin' me and if you're going to pull this shit at least you could've said you were from the Yankees.

Quote:
I didn't think of using more than one step-it-up power a night, but that makes 100% sense.

Since I'm indispensable to the team, I can use mine when we most need it.

Oh, and I'm a simple villager too.

Quote:

Those are the quotes. Although I wasn't in favor of revealing roles with the bad guys knowing they had a safe haven when making a claim, I will try to analyze what people post. And these are the posts that, when taken together, had me wondering what is up with Jake Taylor.

Was there another member on the team that had bad knees who would be hung over?

Was there another member on the team that was talking about retirement?
Old 08-07-2007, 10:21 AM   #183
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Those are the quotes. Although I wasn't in favor of revealing roles with the bad guys knowing they had a safe haven when making a claim, I will try to analyze what people post. And these are the posts that, when taken together, had me wondering what is up with Jake Taylor.

Was there another member on the team that had bad knees who would be hung over?

Was there another member on the team that was talking about retirement?

I'm not Jake Taylor!
Old 08-07-2007, 10:22 AM   #184
KWhit
Coordinator

Very interesting. I have no idea about the characters, so I can't help judge the meaning behind the two posts.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:26 AM   #185
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
I'm not Jake Taylor!

OK, that helps. I'll try and work out who else might have been considering retirement among the other remaining players.

Again, sorry for reading the hints, intended or inadvertant, incorrectly.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:29 AM   #186
hoopsguy
General Manager

Unclaimed - Rube Baker, Roger Dorn, Pedro Cerrano, Jake Tomlinson

I'm obviously one of these people. Jake Tomlinson is a generic dude. So that leaves two people for me to search for retirement info within the movie scripts. And I think the retirement could fit for one of them, if I'm correctly recalling what I read about ML2 yesterday ...
Old 08-07-2007, 10:30 AM   #187
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
OK, that helps. I'll try and work out who else might have been considering retirement among the other remaining players.

FWIW, Dorn is semi-retired in the second movie, but only talks about plans for retirement during the first (and it's certainly not implied that he would be next season). Other than that, the only other serious veteran I can think of is the pitcher, but I think he's already been hinted at.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:31 AM   #188
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Pretty much. Also an unusually high ratio of posts to useful posts.

And I just don't want to vote for BK or hoops, it has the smell of villager on villager crime. I'm willing to revisit it down the road, but not on day 1.

Ouch! I'm going to have to blame my wife if I get lynched! She's out of town for a couple days and I'm bored so I've been on here spending time. But that's cool, another reason to guilt her for leaving me here with our crazy dogs.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:32 AM   #189
hoopsguy
General Manager

Yep, Dorn is the guy I had in mind.

From IMDB:
Quote:
Roger Dorn retired and has replaced Rachel Phelps as the owner of the team. Catcher Jake Taylor has also retired to become one of the coaches who work for manager Lou Brown.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:32 AM   #190
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:

(OOC, I might be mixing Major League I and II together. I have a scene in my mind that I liked a lot (involving my character) that I thought for sure was from the first movie. I could be wrong).
Old 08-07-2007, 10:35 AM   #191
MikeVic
Head Coach

(OOC, What movie had the scene where Dorn opened his trenchcoat to reveal that he wasn't retired anymore? I'm thinking that's the second movie now).
Old 08-07-2007, 10:38 AM   #192
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Unclaimed - Rube Baker, Roger Dorn, Pedro Cerrano, Jake Tomlinson

I'm obviously one of these people. Jake Tomlinson is a generic dude. So that leaves two people for me to search for retirement info within the movie scripts. And I think the retirement could fit for one of them, if I'm correctly recalling what I read about ML2 yesterday ...

You're assuming he's not making up a background for a generic dude as well.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:38 AM   #193
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
(OOC, What movie had the scene where Dorn opened his trenchcoat to reveal that he wasn't retired anymore? I'm thinking that's the second movie now).

Second movie. First movie, Dorn plays the whole time and third movie is about a minor league team (not the Indians - the Salt Lake City Buzz?)
Old 08-07-2007, 10:39 AM   #194
Gonzo
Mascot

Does this whole name thing really matter? It sounds like its more for flavour than a serious game mechanic.
Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:44 AM   #195
hoopsguy
General Manager

Gonzo, only as it relates to the initial talent distribution. If it is based on Chief Rum's interpretations of their ability to step up, rather than randomly generated, then I think the names are pretty important.

If it is random.org then the names don't mean much at all and there is absolutely no harm done with the discussion of them up to this point.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:49 AM   #196
MikeVic
Head Coach

I'm still not sure if the talent somehow relates to a character's role in the movie, but I just wanted to have some more fun with my character. And given my character, I don't think the talent would be very high.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:51 AM   #197
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Barkeep, I'm confused why you have left your vote on me.
Haven't seen anywhere better to place it.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:54 AM   #198
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

my vote stays on cronin and I urge my fellow villagers to join me. There's just no way he checks in and says he hasn't read the thread or the rules and then 5 minutes later drops a vote on a guy who isn't a usual player. shit...100% of the time I don't even know who all is playing, let alone what the rules are 5 minutes after checking in.

something's fishy about that.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:54 AM   #199
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Also, the "pity party" Barkeep is less fun than the aggressive Barkeep, who is less fun than the cerebral/engaged Barkeep. Just my $.02.
The cereberal/engaged BK doesn't come out until later in the game when there is stuff to engage.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:55 AM   #200
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Gonzo, only as it relates to the initial talent distribution. If it is based on Chief Rum's interpretations of their ability to step up, rather than randomly generated, then I think the names are pretty important.

If it is random.org then the names don't mean much at all and there is absolutely no harm done with the discussion of them up to this point.
I would have to believe that position players have more abilities than someone like me who is a pinch hitter. Now whether it's random with-in those groups or not is up for debate. But if, as I believe, it's not completely random, then I am not sure I would believe it's at all random.