Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-01-2018, 11:37 AM   #501
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
His inconsistency (especially year one) and lack of finishing at the rim made him a much lesser go-to.

I don't think Pitino is blameless.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:14 PM   #502
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
2 coaches, almost entirely new roster, still the same iso-heavy play that always gets worse when games get tough and the playoffs arrive. Seems to me that this points strongly to Westbrook not being compatible with anything else. Could probably hire the worlds best offensive coach and still face the same issue.

Ehh, Westbrook may not be willing to run a great offensive system. However, nothing I have seen from Donovan in OKC or Scott Brooks in Washington indicates that Westbrook has ever been given even a good offensive system to run. Westbrook has his flaws for sure, but I am not sure how much blame he gets for driving to the hole, kicking it to a wide open Andre Roberson (or Carmelo Anthony) and having that player clang the shot.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 03:58 AM   #503
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'm thinking that an "errant pass" might shut some of this sort of shit down.

Kendrick Perkins of Cleveland Cavaliers has heated exchange with entertainer Drake during and after Game 1 win over Toronto Raptors
Old 05-02-2018, 09:44 AM   #504
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

Drake is not nearly strong enough to hurt Perk with a pass during the warm up line before the game.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 05-02-2018, 09:52 AM   #505
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Playing the Warriors is just soul draining.

Your team is playing all out, you get the sense that they are playing at, like, 90%, and you look up, and you are up by 3.

And then they decide to turn it on for a few minutes and put the game out of reach.

Their team building strategy of get a lot of great players and a great coach and implement a great system works really well.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:24 AM   #506
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

That Toronto team has been frustrating to watch for years. What a choke job last night.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:21 AM   #507
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
That Toronto team has been frustrating to watch for years. What a choke job last night.

The sequence of four missed shots at the rim (in the same possession!) in a tie game at the end of regulation was brutal to watch.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 05-02-2018 at 11:21 AM.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:33 AM   #508
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Playing the Warriors is just soul draining.

Your team is playing all out, you get the sense that they are playing at, like, 90%, and you look up, and you are up by 3.

And then they decide to turn it on for a few minutes and put the game out of reach.

Their team building strategy of get a lot of great players and a great coach and implement a great system works really well.

Yeah, not sure why other teams aren't doing it. Just draft 3 superstars, bring in another at some point, and hire a rookie coach.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 12:27 PM   #509
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Drake is not nearly strong enough to hurt Perk with a pass during the warm up line before the game.

I'm thinking that a broken jaw for Drake might just be a benefit well beyond a stray NBA game.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:20 PM   #510
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Drake was a helluva ball player til that kid shot him in school
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:02 PM   #511
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Drake was a helluva ball player til that kid shot him in school

Twas but a flesh wound.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:49 PM   #512
Groundhog
Coordinator

I've been watching Joe Ingles play basketball since he was a teenager and I still have no idea how he has turned out to be this type of player in the NBA.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:18 AM   #513
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Twas but a flesh wound.

Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 01:46 PM   #514
korme
Go Reds

Dante Exum really shut down Harden when he was assigned to him. Harden scored 2 points on 22 possessions and was 0-7 from the field. Something to watch for going forward.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:31 PM   #515
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Dante Exum really shut down Harden when he was assigned to him. Harden scored 2 points on 22 possessions and was 0-7 from the field. Something to watch for going forward.

Pretty surreal time for Aussie basketball. Weird watching prime time news and getting NBA updates, which literally never happens except after the last game of the NBA finals.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:51 PM   #516
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Brutal regression past the mean on shooting to start, but a nice close to the half.

What's Kevin Hart going to do next round if Philly beats us and matches up vs LeBron? He's lucky Drake is sucking up all the negative NBA celebrity fan attention right now, because fake over laughing courtside will get old real quick as the 76ers have continued playoff appearances the next several years.

Re: the first game I wish the Raptors hadn't choked last game so it was still a series, but those "OG Anunoby: LeBron stopper" stories were laughable from the jump. Just like "Semi Ojeleye: LeBron stopper" stories will be if the Celtics get through!
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:58 PM   #517
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Now the question is whether the series will end in Cleveland or if it will have to go back to LeBronto for a fifth game.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:18 PM   #518
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Now the question is whether the series will end in Cleveland or if it will have to go back to LeBronto for a fifth game.
I imagine LeBron will dial it back down to 80% & Toronto can shoot well enough to "steal" a game.

The question in the other East series is whether Marcus Smart is so far inside Ben Simmons head that TJ McConnell is a better option.

What's the predicted spread on game 3, 76ers -4.5? (Ok, I actually think Philly will win game 3 & there is a good chance this series comes back to Boston tied 2-2, but Philly still being a 4.5 point favorite tonight seemed crazy to me.)
Old 05-03-2018, 10:45 PM   #519
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:

For the sake of Raptors fans I hope the Cavs wrap it up in Cleveland.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:46 PM   #520
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
What's the predicted spread on game 3, 76ers -4.5? (Ok, I actually think Philly will win game 3 & there is a good chance this series comes back to Boston tied 2-2, but Philly still being a 4.5 point favorite tonight seemed crazy to me.)

I wouldn't be shocked to see the Sixers swept. Going to be a major force if they keep their core components together, but this is probably a step too far for them right now.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:01 PM   #521
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I wouldn't be shocked to see the Sixers swept. Going to be a major force if they keep their core components together, but this is probably a step too far for them right now.
I will be shocked if that happens. This was a game late in the 4th & Morris hit a ridiculous step back 3 after Redick missed one coming off a screen. And the Celtics play much worse on the road.

Long term, it's not exactly like they're losing to an older team. Horford is a veteran presence, and pulling a layup out after Rozier threw him the ball with like 4 seconds on the shot clock & a minute in the game was a veteran move, but these are mostly the same players who could be playing for the next 7 Eastern Conference titles.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:43 AM   #522
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I honestly don't understand why teams don't just double LeBron at half-court every time for at least a few possessions when he gets into a rhythm like that. Make someone else make shots for a while, even if it's wide-open. Doing the same thing and hoping he misses more just doesn't make sense.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 01:09 PM   #523
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I honestly don't understand why teams don't just double LeBron at half-court every time for at least a few possessions when he gets into a rhythm like that. Make someone else make shots for a while, even if it's wide-open. Doing the same thing and hoping he misses more just doesn't make sense.
Because NBA players are way too good at hitting open shots to make playing 3 on 4 D sensible even if he's on a roll.

I think Philly will win Game 3, or at least one of the two at home, but I thought people were joking when they said Philly was -9.5 point favorites for it. 9.5 points would be a high line for GS or Houston, let alone a team that's lost 2 straight and had it's best player on the bench for most of the 4th quarter because he was overwhelmed and playing poorly.
Old 05-04-2018, 03:22 PM   #524
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP
Because NBA players are way too good at hitting open shots to make playing 3 on 4 D sensible even if he's on a roll.

As a series-long strategy, that's probably true, but I'm not talking about doing that. Case in point: the game much earlier in LeBron's career when he scored the last 25 I think it was points of the game at the Palace against Detroit. Afterwards Flip Saunders said they did all they could to take it out of his hands -- which wasn't true. They doubled him about 40 feet away, James passed, eventually got it back with like 8-10 on the shot clock ... and then they just let him do whatever which usually ended in a made shot. Only a very few times did anyone else shoot -- and they missed every single time. Absolutely no good reason why they couldn't have doubled again, the only difference being this time there's a lot less time on the clock for the offense to do something.

I've also seen analyses at places like 538 which argued that a 'bad'
shot for an elite shooter like Curry(I think it applies to James when he's in the zone as well, esp. considering how much more accurate his deep ball is these days) is better than a good shot for almost anyone else. I just don't see a reason not to try it for a couple minutes to shake things up. If nothing else it can throw a team/player potentially out of the rhythm.

Old 05-04-2018, 05:02 PM   #525
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
As a series-long strategy, that's probably true, but I'm not talking about doing that. Case in point: the game much earlier in LeBron's career when he scored the last 25 I think it was points of the game at the Palace against Detroit. Afterwards Flip Saunders said they did all they could to take it out of his hands -- which wasn't true. They doubled him about 40 feet away, James passed, eventually got it back with like 8-10 on the shot clock ... and then they just let him do whatever which usually ended in a made shot. Only a very few times did anyone else shoot -- and they missed every single time. Absolutely no good reason why they couldn't have doubled again, the only difference being this time there's a lot less time on the clock for the offense to do something.

I've also seen analyses at places like 538 which argued that a 'bad'
shot for an elite shooter like Curry(I think it applies to James when he's in the zone as well, esp. considering how much more accurate his deep ball is these days) is better than a good shot for almost anyone else. I just don't see a reason not to try it for a couple minutes to shake things up. If nothing else it can throw a team/player potentially out of the rhythm.

If you're advocating for early/aggressive doubles I like that. I thought you were arguing for doubling him off ball and playing 3v4 like Jimmy Patsos did once vs Steph Curry in college, which I do not think would work. It's a guaranteed open layup or open 3 for a guy like Korver, and puts you at a big disadvantage on the defensive glass even if they miss.
Old 05-05-2018, 06:36 PM   #526
kingfc22
Head Coach

Philly unsure of the Process as to when to drop confetti.

Hint: Not for celebrating OT
Old 05-05-2018, 06:49 PM   #527
Groundhog
Coordinator

JJ Redick having a hell of a game, but Sixers doing all they can to lose this game.
Old 05-05-2018, 06:55 PM   #528
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yikes. Not sure what the Sixers were even planning then, I guess a hand off back to Simmons, but I wouldn't want Embiid even touching the ball there with how badly he bumbled the previous possession.
Old 05-05-2018, 08:12 PM   #529
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Everyone who had the Celtics taking the first three games of the Sixers series, raise your hands.

If you have your hands raised, you're a liar.

Brad Stevens for President

Jayson Tatum for Vice President
Old 05-05-2018, 10:24 PM   #530
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

LeBron. Damn. He's still getting better. He might turn clutch yet.

/sarcasm
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 02:04 AM   #531
Groundhog
Coordinator

I haven't checked if it's true or not, but saw a tweet that LBJ has more playoff game-winning shots in these 2017-18 playoffs alone than MJ had in his entire career combined.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:28 AM   #532
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
I haven't checked if it's true or not, but saw a tweet that LBJ has more playoff game-winning shots in these 2017-18 playoffs alone than MJ had in his entire career combined.

I do know that Jordan didn't have all that many of those as one would assume , both makes and attempts. One number i found was 9-18 game-tying or game-winning (in last 24 seconds). For all the "Jordan would have never passed here, LeBron is just a whimp" narrative from a few years back, Jordan was simply a very good decision maker down the stretch and opened up the court as a decoy/passer as much as he did actually take the big shot.

Didn't quickly find a comparable number or any sort of definition that has numbers for both, but didn't try that hard admittedly. But at a guess i would say that it seems likely that LeBron (and Kobe, for that matter) have the number of makes beat by a decent marging. Would also guess at a lower percentage

23 stats for No. 23, Michael Jordan - Stats & Info- ESPN
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 05-06-2018 at 06:54 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:43 PM   #533
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Excerpts and quotes from columns advocating for the selection of Carmelo or Darko over LeBron in the 2003 draft - Freezing Cold Takes

This is a bit overblown, I think, because I don't recall any real doubt over LeBron at #1. But, fringe or not, these are funny to remember.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:27 PM   #534
Groundhog
Coordinator

LeBron James was a consensus #1 pick since he was about 14 years old. Ignoring hindsight though, I was over the moon when the Cavs landed the #1 pick and LeBron but never did I imagine he'd come out of the gates averaging 20-5-6 as a rookie, and I doubt many others did either. I figured he'd develop into a star by his early 20s.

Last edited by Groundhog : 05-06-2018 at 10:27 PM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:36 AM   #535
PilotMan
Head Coach

Not having followed the NBA much until the playoffs, this Cavs team doesn't look like it's got enough to really challenge for the title. Do they?

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:54 AM   #536
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Not having followed the NBA much until the playoffs, this Cavs team doesn't look like it's got enough to really challenge for the title. Do they?

That's what makes this must see TV.

On paper, Golden State and Houston would seem to just be too talented to lose.

But would you really bet your house on it not being Cleveland? Or on LeBron not averaging a 40 pt. triple double in the Finals?
Old 05-07-2018, 08:56 PM   #537
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

To me injuries are the thing there. A healthy Golden State or Houston beats Cleveland in probably five max even with LeBron doing a 40-point triple-double average IMO. But I wouldn't bet my house on the GS-HOU winner coming out fully intact. And if LeBron gets hurt Cleveland doesn't even get to the finals -- which is really overlooking Boston, clearly the story of these playoffs IMO. Forget about Coach of the Year, they should just put Brad Stevens on Mount Rushmore and be done with it.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:44 PM   #538
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yeah, I don't think Cavs are a lock to beat the Celtics. Cavs beat the Raptors mentally in game 1, and history has shown that this side does not respond well to that. The Celtics... well... a lot of pressure on Tatum and/or Brown defending LeBron, but offensively they should get the looks they want against this defense. Only way Cavs win is if the game today signals that the other Cavs are going to contribute consistently alongside LeBron. Love in particular was significantly better this series, but how is he going to do matched up on Horford? He doesn't have the same advantage that he did against the Raptors, especially Jonas.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:56 PM   #539
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Rumor: NBA executives anticipate Raptors firing Dwane Casey – ProBasketballTalk

Gotta fire Casey, man. It's a rough business, but bringing that offense back again just so they can lay an egg...doesn't matter what personnel you get, you've gotta get another voice in that locker room.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:31 PM   #540
Groundhog
Coordinator

It's a tough decision. Would another coach get more out of these guys? IMO they don't have a superstar or the obvious resources to get one, just a couple of really good players and a solid rotation of contributors. DeRozan just shows time and time again that the way he gets his points in the regular season is too easy to neutralize in the post-season when you are playing the same team night in, night out.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:09 AM   #541
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I think they should get rid of him, and I say that knowing that whoever they get instead might well end up being worse. But you have to try something different. I don't totally buy the 'too easy to defend in the playoffs' thing. Unless the organization is happy with contending for the conference in the regular season and then losing in the second round, they have to try something else.

Obvious a huge interview question would be 'what needs to change to get to the next level'.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:24 AM   #542
Groundhog
Coordinator

If they could acquire someone (somehow) that would make DeRozan the #2 guy on that squad without completely gutting a lot of the useful depth they've built over the past couple of years with decent drafting I think that would go a long way towards solving their issues. I just feel they are a super middle-heavy team, and come the 2nd round of the playoffs they are unlikely to have the single best player on the court wearing their roster.

Last edited by Groundhog : 05-08-2018 at 12:24 AM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:04 AM   #543
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If they could acquire someone (somehow) that would make DeRozan the #2 guy on that squad without completely gutting a lot of the useful depth they've built over the past couple of years with decent drafting I think that would go a long way towards solving their issues. I just feel they are a super middle-heavy team, and come the 2nd round of the playoffs they are unlikely to have the single best player on the court wearing their roster.

How many rounds of the playoffs / matchups would they even have the clearly second best player on the court wearing their jersey?

Then again, maybe that makes a reasonable argument that Casey isn't the issue (despite the fact I think I'd pull the trigger on him if I were Toronto)
Old 05-08-2018, 09:43 AM   #544
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Firing Casey is dumb. I think you give him 1 more chance cause it's far from certain the Cavs retain LeBron. The case for firing Casey is basically that he lost to a team with a dog starting at center, a Roomba starting at PG and a chain-smoking girl who was the #2 scorer?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:47 AM   #545
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

I'm 100% keep Casey. You just had your most successful regular season ever, managed to noticeably change the way you play all while developing the rotation for the next solid Raptors team. I think DeRozan (on defense, his offense was feast or famine) and Ibaka really let him down with their play. As a Raptors fan, the sweep sucked, but this is a million times better than what we've been through in the past. They're not competitive with LeBron, so what? Maybe only 2 teams in the league can beat a LeBron led team. There's no shame in that. If you want to be ringz or bust, fine, but then you need a transcendent superstar or get really lucky with the league being down on talent.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:00 AM   #546
Kodos
Resident Alien

Pacers have to be kicking themselves...
Old 05-08-2018, 12:57 PM   #547
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
That's what makes this must see TV.

On paper, Golden State and Houston would seem to just be too talented to lose.

But would you really bet your house on it not being Cleveland? Or on LeBron not averaging a 40 pt. triple double in the Finals?

Yes, I would probably bet my house on LeBron not averaging a 40/10/10 in the Finals
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:25 PM   #548
miami_fan
Coordinator

NBA coaches: Haters gonna hate.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:03 PM   #549
miami_fan
Coordinator

Just tuned in to the game. Have the refs been allowing the Sixers to be physical with the C’s all games?
Old 05-09-2018, 09:33 PM   #550
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
NBA coaches: Haters gonna hate.

Yeah, that was kinda cold.