Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-11-2018, 11:48 AM   #351
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I don't think that has anything to do with it. If the pick ends up like 8th or the Cavs get lucky & its top 3 should the expectations be the same? Now, how good do they have to be to make the Kyrie trade not look like highway robbery is an interesting question.

PS thanks for reminding me that technically now the Celtics got Jaylen Brown, Jayson Tatum, Kyrie, and the LaKings pick in that Nets deal. If the Lakers pick conveys & we get one of those bigs this year goodness gracious that deal just gets more absurd.

It shouldn't make a difference, but that generally is not the way fans look at these things. First, if the "Brooklyn Pick" does end up being the eighth pick, that could be seen as a disappointment in and of itself if the hope was a top three pick. The "Brooklyn Pick" represents the only good thing to come directly from the Kyrie Irving trade from the Cavs point of view. The Cavs chose the "Brooklyn Pick" instead of moving that pick for something at the trade deadline. Finally, the "Brooklyn Pick" will be a key piece in the Cavs quest for a title if Lebron stays or the key piece in the rebuild moving forward if Lebron leaves.

At some point, the "Brooklyn Pick" will be replaced by a actual player. It will be interesting to see what the expectations will be for the actual player after he is drafted.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:42 PM   #352
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Balance of power in the East has been restored now that the evil double engines from Boston have been dispatched
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 05:10 PM   #353
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Balance of power in the East has been restored now that the evil double engines from Boston have been dispatched
I think Toronto's the best team in the East... nice game today for the Cavs. Celtics did miss a lot of open looks in the 2nd/3rd quarters. PS why was Cedi Osman basically out of the rotation for long stretches? He seems like a solid wing.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:13 PM   #354
Groundhog
Coordinator

Lots of Cavs fans had been calling for Osman minutes most of the past 4-6 weeks, as he's looked good in brief glimpses. I think it was a matter of Lue wanting to keep the vets happy with their minutes, all while throwing Crowder out there and hoping he begins to resemble the guy we thought we got in the trade, versus the junk we'd seen since.

I just can't take Toronto seriously until I see them perform in the playoffs. DeRozan has taken a sneaky leap this year and is putting up some incredible numbers, but year after year we've seen them get torn to shreds come playoffs, so we'll see.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:41 PM   #355
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'll probably be a conspiracy guy here, but I think that they maybe knew what they had and didn't want to have to throw him in a trade.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:42 PM   #356
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Lots of Cavs fans had been calling for Osman minutes most of the past 4-6 weeks, as he's looked good in brief glimpses. I think it was a matter of Lue wanting to keep the vets happy with their minutes, all while throwing Crowder out there and hoping he begins to resemble the guy we thought we got in the trade, versus the junk we'd seen since.

I just can't take Toronto seriously until I see them perform in the playoffs. DeRozan has taken a sneaky leap this year and is putting up some incredible numbers, but year after year we've seen them get torn to shreds come playoffs, so we'll see.
Yeah, I'm hesitant on Toronto for that reason too, but it's not just DeRozan it's the whole team changing their offensive philosophy to fit a little better analytically, and that bench being pretty great when before their numbers would collapse with Lowry off the court. It is still closer between all 3 teams than raw numbers suggest, since LeBron is re-energized and especially if Boston gets something positive from Hayward (I like Semi Ojeleye's potential if he can develop a shot, but he and Abdel Nader should not be playing wing minutes vs anyone, and even though Marcus Smart can take most of those minutes the 2nd unit really struggles offensively and being able to juice it a little by staggering Hayward with Kyrie & Horford could be huge.) But at the end of the day right now Toronto has a +8.3 ppg differential, which is actually better than the Warriors & just slightly behind Houston for #1 in the NBA, and the highest in the Eastern Conference in 9 years. Last few years they were in the +3 to 4.5 range.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 02-11-2018 at 11:43 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:53 PM   #357
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I think I'd draft Luka Doncic over any American this coming draft.

I don't know about that. Certainly he's done some amazing things, but there's concerns about how he'd transition to the NBA style of play, and his comparative lack of athleticism will hurt him defensively. There's also arguments over what exactly his ceiling is - I've read everything from Magic Johnson to Hedo Turkoglu by various scouts.

I'd say he's definitely in contention for #1 overall pick, but I think there's enough question marks that it's not so much a slam dunk as that.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:16 PM   #358
MrBug708
Head Coach

Lavar said that Lonzo isn't going to resign with the Lakers unless they sign Liangelo. Right.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:40 PM   #359
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Lavar said that Lonzo isn't going to resign with the Lakers unless they sign Liangelo. Right.

And they can all go play Norwegian JV ball together, seems perfect to me.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:45 PM   #360
MrBug708
Head Coach

Seems like a team like the Hawks could just offer all three NBA minimum and get Lonzo for a steal
Old 02-12-2018, 08:48 PM   #361
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Seems like a team like the Hawks could just offer all three NBA minimum and get Lonzo for a steal

Shhhh ... I wouldn't put it past 'em.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:57 PM   #362
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I feel like the general public is putting its own hyper sensitivity on the players than the players have for themselves when it came to this draft. Next year when it is televised, it won't be nearly as interesting as we think it should be.

Anybody disappointed that we missed the opportunity to watch Al Horford and LaMarcus Aldridge react to being the last picks in the draft?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 02-17-2018, 06:17 PM   #363
heybrad
Norm!!!

This whole Shaq - Kobe conversation feels like a bit of revisionist history.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:06 PM   #364
Atocep
Coordinator

They must be grading Larry Nance on a curve tonight. Those dunks aren't very impressive in 2018.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:11 PM   #365
Atocep
Coordinator

I thought Dennis Smith and Oladipo were the best dunkers. Oladipo just couldn't make a dunk.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:19 PM   #366
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The revised All-Star game format led to a competitive game and down to the last possession game. A really entertaining all-star game as it turns out.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:39 PM   #367
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
The revised All-Star game format led to a competitive game and down to the last possession game. A really entertaining all-star game as it turns out.

Agree that the game was well played. I just dont know how this type of format is going to keep fans interested. I mean which side do you cheer for if you are a Golden State fan? Now next year(with different captains) all of these players will be re-drafted on to new teams. Its just kind of unusual I guess.

It was cool that some of them actually tried on defense this year.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:22 AM   #368
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I thought Dennis Smith and Oladipo were the best dunkers. Oladipo just couldn't make a dunk.

Oladipo at least made up for it with a nice breakaway dunk in the All-Star game. Thought he played well overall save for losing his touch beyond the arc.

The game was entertaining, and the intensity at the end was refreshing to see.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 04:48 PM   #369
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Agree that the game was well played. I just dont know how this type of format is going to keep fans interested. I mean which side do you cheer for if you are a Golden State fan? Now next year(with different captains) all of these players will be re-drafted on to new teams. Its just kind of unusual I guess.

It was cool that some of them actually tried on defense this year.

I don't know that I ever truly cheer for the AFC or National League to win in their All-Star games. I kind of just root for whatever Bengals or Reds player is on the field. I would apply that same logic to this format.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:47 PM   #370
miami_fan
Coordinator

Derrick Rose is looking at the Kawhi situation with such envy.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:09 PM   #371
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
I don't know that I ever truly cheer for the AFC or National League to win in their All-Star games. I kind of just root for whatever Bengals or Reds player is on the field. I would apply that same logic to this format.

As a Golden State fan, I can tell you that the game was thoroughly enjoyable, and I love that it ended on a defensive stop.

Edit: meant to quote both yours and the original, but I'm on mobile so here it stays.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 02-22-2018 at 05:10 PM.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 01:03 PM   #372
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Starting to get tired of Zaza Pachulia and his antics. The dive/roll onto an already prone Westbrook was completely indefensible.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:34 PM   #373
Groundhog
Coordinator

That was his most idiotic move so far. Definitely should be suspended.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:04 PM   #374
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I've seen some footage since I posted that which actually makes me change my mind, but the guy running the Warriors' SB Nation blog actually states it perfectly:

Quote:
He’s clumsy, okay. I get it. He’s a huge human being. He wasn’t looking at Kawhi Leonard and therefore couldn’t have intended to injure him. He got hooked by Nick Young’s flailing, trailing foot and didn’t intend to fall on Russell Westbrook.

But, seriously, at some point it becomes reeeeeeally hard to keep explaining how this ginormous human being keeps either 1.) actually injuring people, or, 2.) almost injuring people.

If you watch the replay, Westbrook collides with Nick Young, whose foot is pinned between the back of Zaza's left knee and an already-falling-down Westbrook:

Edit: it's not letting me embed the image, so here's the link if you are so inclined:

https://imgur.com/a/waMr6

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 02-25-2018 at 05:05 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:27 PM   #375
miami_fan
Coordinator

I don't think Zaza intentionally did a knee drop onto Russ. However I also don't think he was concerned enough that he tried not to fall on Russ. I feel the same with the Kawhi injury. At some point, questions will be asked as to why this guy is always involved in these situations. Being a clumsy 7 footer in the NBA is not sound like an acceptable excuse.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:43 PM   #376
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Hes just a klutz in a world of amazing athletes. I dont think the NBA can suspend him for being klutzy. They probably just hope teams finally figure out hes pretty useless as a player.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:04 PM   #377
Groundhog
Coordinator

I still think he did it intentionally. Looked very casual and controlled to me when watching the clip in motion.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:29 AM   #378
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I think that we should, like, all get a day off work or something to commemorate James Harden's shot last night. That was Jordan-level disrespect of an opponent:

albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:03 AM   #379
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Harden is a bad, bad man.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:29 AM   #380
QuikSand
lolzcat

I'm not much of an NBA fan, but that is my new favorite play ever.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:26 PM   #381
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm surprised that Harden didn't get a technical foul
Old 03-01-2018, 01:52 PM   #382
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I'm surprised that Harden didn't get a technical foul

Thankfully, the Referees Crawford have retired.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:57 PM   #383
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Dame Lillard is just flat-out disgusting. He pretty much single-handedly beat the Lakers last night
Old 03-07-2018, 11:14 AM   #384
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Man, the Warriors are hard to watch. Clearly and team not interested in the regular season. I find it hard to believe they can all of a sudden turn up the intensity to match what OKC, Houston and Boston have been doing all year.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:39 AM   #385
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Emeka Okafor is still a thing? Wow.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:17 PM   #386
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post
Man, the Warriors are hard to watch. Clearly and team not interested in the regular season. I find it hard to believe they can all of a sudden turn up the intensity to match what OKC, Houston and Boston have been doing all year.

You don't think the 50-14 Golden State Warriors will be able to match the intensity of the 37-29 OKC Thunder and that will be a problem?
Old 03-07-2018, 03:27 PM   #387
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I find "hard to watch" about the last thing I would describe the Warriors as, even if they are "disinterested."
Old 03-07-2018, 03:51 PM   #388
Groundhog
Coordinator

TBH the only NBA team I particularly enjoy watching these days is the Sixers, and that's mainly because of Simmons.
Old 03-07-2018, 04:04 PM   #389
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
I find "hard to watch" about the last thing I would describe the Warriors as, even if they are "disinterested."

it's the sloppy turnovers. watching this great team average the second most turnovers per game, to me, is hard to watch.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:50 PM   #390
miami_fan
Coordinator

OMG!
Old 03-08-2018, 08:51 PM   #391
miami_fan
Coordinator

Fuck TNT! Stop with the replays!
Old 03-09-2018, 01:30 AM   #392
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Sounds like Jaylen is okay (and tbh the Kris Dunn fall was harder for me to watch. The reaction was bad on this one, but it seemed obvious he didn't fall in a way that risked actual paralysis, even before he got up and walked off the court.)

Btw, Marcus Smart was 2-7 tonight, and that exact game is why I won't mind if the Celtics "overpay" to keep him this summer. (Which they might do anyways just to have his salary as trade filler.) But the energy and attitude he brings makes his terrible shooting worth it, and that alley-oop was crazy!
Old 03-09-2018, 02:00 PM   #393
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Sounds like Jaylen is okay (and tbh the Kris Dunn fall was harder for me to watch. The reaction was bad on this one, but it seemed obvious he didn't fall in a way that risked actual paralysis, even before he got up and walked off the court.)

Btw, Marcus Smart was 2-7 tonight, and that exact game is why I won't mind if the Celtics "overpay" to keep him this summer. (Which they might do anyways just to have his salary as trade filler.) But the energy and attitude he brings makes his terrible shooting worth it, and that alley-oop was crazy!

+1 on Smart. Love the guy. Him and Rozier together on the 2nd unit has been a bright spot since the All Star break. I like Rozier as well, but I think he's easier to replace than Smart, if they had to choose.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:57 PM   #394
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
To go along with my post in the college football thread... HUH?

Grizzlies fire David Fizdale, name J.B. Bickerstaff interim coach

Eighteen straight losses for the Griz.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:29 AM   #395
MrBug708
Head Coach

What do the Lakers do about Randle? He's been playing extremely well, but I dont think he's a max player and would take the spot away from someone else, potentially.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:29 AM   #396
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
What do the Lakers do about Randle? He's been playing extremely well, but I dont think he's a max player and would take the spot away from someone else, potentially.

Last I checked the Bulls, Mavs, Pacers, and the Hawks are the only teams with significant cap room this offseason besides the Lakers. Are any of those teams really going to give Randle the max? I won’t underestimate the lack of self control of an NBA owner but I would not offer him the max.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:32 PM   #397
miami_fan
Coordinator

Zeke Upshaw of Grand Rapids Drive dies after collapsing during G League game
Old 03-28-2018, 03:45 PM   #398
stevew
Hall Of Famer

IT finally getting that hip surgery that he needed 14 months ago.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:48 PM   #399
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Lakers coach Luke Walton and the front office have been encouraged by Thomas' fit with the team, and Walton feels he's had a positive impact on the younger players, team sources told ESPN.

"The team's agenda always came first, and he never complained about it once," Walton said Wednesday. "... Him and Julius [Randle] had a nice connection going. I loved the banter between him and [Kyle Kuzma] out there on the floor. He was great. You go down the line, he affected all the guys that played minutes for us, the young guys."

Walton said Thomas wanted to be a starter but "never complained" about coming off the bench, putting the team's goals ahead of his own personal goals.
Huh, it's almost like other people might've been the root of the chemistry (and defensive!) problem in Cleveland.

Hope he gets healthy. I still don't think he would've gotten close to the max he was looking for if he was a completely healthy FA coming off a repeat of last season, but I hope he gets at least solidly in the 8 figures in lifetime earnings going forward - and it's a more fun league when he's healthy and playing well.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 03-28-2018 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-29-2018, 03:10 AM   #400
korme
Go Reds

Or that could be coach speak. Did you expect Walton to bury him?