Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-08-2007, 12:47 PM   #1
DeToxRox
Head Coach

PING: Video Game Pre-Orderers .. Halo 3 + GTA 4?

Anyone pre-order either game yet?

I've paid full for GTA 4 already, but not Halo 3, which I think might make it hard to get on launch. Wondering if anyone else here has plopped down their cash on either game yet.

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 12:57 PM   #2
SackAttack
Head Coach

The only reason to preorder Halo 3 would be if you've got a boner for that Legendary Edition. Seriously.

I'd really almost say the same for GTA IV and its Special Edition, but I'm specifically remembering when Halo 2 came out and how it took us six months to sell out of our *launch* shipment.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 01:04 PM   #3
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
The only reason to preorder Halo 3 would be if you've got a boner for that Legendary Edition. Seriously.

I'd really almost say the same for GTA IV and its Special Edition, but I'm specifically remembering when Halo 2 came out and how it took us six months to sell out of our *launch* shipment.

At the Gamestop here they said they've already sold out their initial shipment they expect to get in so they're not taking any more pre-orders for it right now.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:19 PM   #4
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

I had to use up a large amount of credit at gamestop I had forgotten about so I preordered GTA 4.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:42 PM   #5
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
At the Gamestop here they said they've already sold out their initial shipment they expect to get in so they're not taking any more pre-orders for it right now.

Dude, it's GameStop. That's their business model. Restrict day one sales to, in most cases, pre-orders. That gets them the money weeks or months in advance so that they can start earning interest on it, and gives them cost certainty on how many to order in the first shipment. It's nothing to do with availability and everything to do with how they do business.

I guarantee you that there are at least five, and more probably closer to ten, different stores that sell games that you will be able to pick up either or both of those games on day one with any kind of diligence.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:35 PM   #6
twothree
College Prospect

My current pre-orders are SMT: Persona 3 (PS2) and the new Civ IV expansion.

The Civ IV expansion pre-order was an impulse purchase, and I know it was not needed. However for Persona 3 my store will probably only get at most 1 or 2 copies more than what is pre-ordered, and it is a game I have been looking forward to playing ever since I finished Digital Devil Saga 2.
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 04:39 PM   #7
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by twothree View Post
My current pre-orders are SMT: Persona 3 (PS2) and the new Civ IV expansion.

The Civ IV expansion pre-order was an impulse purchase, and I know it was not needed. However for Persona 3 my store will probably only get at most 1 or 2 copies more than what is pre-ordered, and it is a game I have been looking forward to playing ever since I finished Digital Devil Saga 2.

Yeah, that's not to say that pre-ordering is never a good idea.

Just that GTA IV and Halo 3 are about the least likely candidates in the world to sell out completely on launch day. Guaranteed multi-million sellers don't need to play marketing games.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:46 PM   #8
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:

I would be one of the people with a boner for the Legendary Edition. Pre-ordered and paid in full.

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 07-08-2007 at 05:46 PM.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 06:44 PM   #9
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I guarantee you that there are at least five, and more probably closer to ten, different stores that sell games that you will be able to pick up either or both of those games on day one with any kind of diligence.

Yeah, go to your local Target or Wal Mart or, even better, something like a Circuit City which isn't quite thought of as a gaming place and you'll get it there on the day it comes out. Maybe, maybe, if it's a really popular game of that ilk, you might have to try 2 or 3 places, but frankly, I've never had my local Target be missing a game on a release day. Typically, they have a giant pile of said game behind the game department register since they don't have enough room on the shelves.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 08:40 PM   #10
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
I would be one of the people with a boner for the Legendary Edition. Pre-ordered and paid in full.

In full? There's absolutely nothing that $125 could be doing for you between now and last call?
Old 07-08-2007, 10:58 PM   #11
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
In full? There's absolutely nothing that $125 could be doing for you between now and last call?

I'm a pay it now kind of guy, especially with this. Plopping down a hundred and change the night I get Halo 3 would detract from the experience. Now I can walk in and get my game and that $125 has been gone for months...so now it feels like I'm getting it for free! (That's what I tell myself, at least)
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 11:58 PM   #12
MJ4H
Coordinator

jesus christ $125??? you better be getting 3+ games for that price
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 01:14 AM   #13
SackAttack
Head Coach

Wait 'til you see us poor saps throw $150+ at Rock Band.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:36 PM   #14
DeToxRox
Head Coach

What does Rock Band ship with?
Old 07-09-2007, 04:42 PM   #15
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
What does Rock Band ship with?

Groupies and a couple cases of herpes.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:03 PM   #16
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
Groupies and a couple cases of herpes.

Well, sure, if you want the $300 Steven Tyler Special Edition.

If Rock Band ends up being $150+, it will likely ship with the mic, the drums, and either one or two guitars.

If pricing is more normal, that means either the instruments are sold separately or there will be three different bundles.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:06 PM   #17
DeToxRox
Head Coach

150 for all that is a bargain considering GH's price w/ just a guitar.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:52 PM   #18
Anthony
Banned

what is the Legendary Edition?

i'm gonna pick up GTA IV, but not preorder it. there isn't any need, there's always tons in stock at the 1st store i go to. i might get the deluxe version - it comes with a nice black lockbox. that's friggin awesome.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:02 AM   #19
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
what is the Legendary Edition?

It's for people who have a kind of sandwich fetish, only over Master Chief.

Did I not make it clear enough with my 'boner' comment?
Old 07-10-2007, 04:13 AM   #20
Emiliano
College Prospect

My girlfriend is absolutely crazy about GTA. Back in March, she pre-ordered GTA IV. A couple of weeks ago she canceled her "normal" pre-order, and pre-ordered this nice package from Play.com.

Quote:
* Presented in a customised Grand Theft Auto metal safety deposit box, Grand Theft Auto IV: Special Edition contains:
* Grand Theft Auto IV with special packaging
* The Grand Theft Auto IV Art Book, featuring never-before-seen production artwork from Grand Theft Auto IV
* Selected soundtrack CD from Grand Theft Auto IV, featuring new material from top artists, only available on this release
* An exclusive Rockstar keychain for the safety deposit box keys
* Limited Edition Rockstar Duffel Bag
* All of the items have been created with the utmost attention to detail to create a unique Grand Theft Auto IV experience for any fan of the series. The Grand Theft Auto IV: Special Edition is available for pre-orders today.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:49 AM   #21
Anthony
Banned

i can do without the soundtrack and artwork, but whatever this costs ($80?) it's worth the price for that black lockbox and the dufflebag.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 06:56 AM   #22
stevew
Hall Of Famer

That GTA 4 pack is $89.99....I dunno if I could justify 30 bucks extra for all that stuff.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote