Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-07-2006, 01:18 AM   #1
DeToxRox
Head Coach

HBO: Deadwood Season 3 (Possible spoiler)

In season 3 the character of Wyatt Earp is introduced to Deadwood.

How awesome will this be?

Best show on TV, only getting better.

Season 3 won't be till summer but this is awesome news.

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 01:21 AM   #2
Hurst2112
College Starter

nuther spoiler....

South Dakota eventually becomes a state.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 01:22 AM   #3
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Well played
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 01:24 AM   #4
Hurst2112
College Starter

i was just being funny. I am actually looking forward to the next season.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 08:45 PM   #5
Bad-example
College Starter

A nice read on the show from the SF Chronicle. Season 4 was apparently trashed in favor of a couple 2 hour movies, to appear about a year from now. Sad that the show is ending but excited to be getting new episodes starting this week.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...DGEAJ9L9U1.DTL

There's a reason why so many people are upset, on the eve of the third season of "Deadwood," that there won't be a proper fourth season because of monetary shenanigans, creative indulgences and twisted logic from HBO and the series' creator, David Milch. That reason: This series is one of a kind. Literally.

While it's true that "Deadwood" is a Western, a genre so worn thin and hallowed out through the years it hasn't been approached much in the modern world, Milch has risen up to take the form and infuse it with his cockeyed genius and he has created a landscape, characters and dialogue so thoroughly original that "Deadwood," when history has its say, may go down as one of television's greatest achievements -- a singular, original vision.

But money that works its own kind of madness and uninhibited creative freedom given to a writer like Milch are two dangerous strands to entwine. Translation: HBO gave Milch another project, which he took, and then he or the network or both of them believed that finishing Season 4 of "Deadwood" on time, with the actors on the hook and this other muse calling, might be impossible. Plus, "Deadwood" is not only expensive to produce, but an acquired taste. So they could not muster up the means to produce 12 more episodes, concluding just this week that a pair of two-hour movies might wrap up the whole affair quite nicely.

And they might. And it's true that viewers get, starting Sunday, 12 full episodes in Season 3, and they should, in turn, be pretty damned pleased about it. But still, all you need to do is witness Sunday's episode, "Tell Your God to Ready for Blood," and you can't shake the feeling of remorse for what you won't get next year.

Now, "Deadwood" as a series is probably not something a new viewer can walk into come Sunday and make and heads or tails of it. This is Shakespeare in the mud, a labor-intensive aural pleasure that is gilded with excessive violence, an unholy amount of swearing and a lawless machismo that will send the faint of heart or the politically correct reeling. So, all others inclined to see what the fuss is about should immediately tape this season, then rent or buy Seasons 1 and 2.

There truly is greatness in spades here, and dissecting "Deadwood" is as much a pleasure as watching it. But before partaking of what Al Swearengen (Ian McShane) would certainly consider unnecessary chatter, first the details of Season 3:

The law is coming to Deadwood. The town is about to hold its first elections and they are, of course, rife with backstage dealing, killing and fear. The dreaded George Hearst (Gerald McRaney -- in a role that certainly reverses a lot of recent network nonsense) is slowly putting the town under his thumb, leaving his imprint and causing no shortage of harm. But those who have been the bigger players in Deadwood, like Swearengen, Seth Bullock (Timothy Olyphant) and Cyrus Tolliver (Powers Boothe), aren't going down without a knife to the eye. But if last season was full of foreboding over Hearst's arrival, this season will be about managing his presence, along with the usual "Deadwood" storylines of whoring, booze, gambling, killing and, well, more whoring.

Since we now know that Season 3 is the last, sans two hard-won but reluctantly accepted movies that will allegedly appear in the future, there's no getting around the sense of needing to write a fitting epitaph. And in the same moment explain, once again to those who doubt but remain curious and open, what's so special about this foul-mouthed Western.

At the forefront, it's the writing. Next, it's the acting and lastly it's the storytelling, which allows the other two to mesh. But an interesting thing happened to the writing in Season 1. It was odd, sure. Milch is odd. He's theatrical and smart and adorned with a fearlessness that allows him to show off his virtuosity without actually making you hate him for it. But in the beginning, everybody focused on the incessant swearing, which is like a machine gun volley of words that daily newspapers, this one included, hesitate to even judiciously shorten. Suffice it to say all the really bad ones are in "Deadwood" and they pile up on top of each other like corpses in a lawless, godforsaken town. If you can't get past that, go elsewhere.

But what emerged, by midseason of that first year -- gaining confidence in later episodes and then blooming into magnificence last season -- was a Shakespearean grandness to the vocabulary that built on an ornate structure and was electrified by both humor and twisted logic. It got to the point last year that actually having a story arc for the season and various storylines in each episode was unnecessary (though they were present, handcrafted with precision). No, there was enough joy in just listening to the actors perform that a plot was like a forgotten present after a gift-ravaging Christmas morning.

The dialogue alone proved there really was nothing else like "Deadwood" on television. But for Milch's vision to succeed, he needs actors to pull it off. That, too, sets "Deadwood" apart from a lot of other series. (HBO has a stable of shows where you can take the 15th most important character and find him or her to be richly nuanced and the actor responsible to be immensely talented). Take a look at this cast. W. Earl Brown as Dan Dority is wonderful. Dayton Callie as Charlie Utter -- excellent. Paula Malcomson as Trixie, Brad Dourif as Doc Cochran, Robin Weigert as Calamity Jane, William Sanderson as E.B. Farnum -- they are all incredible, and that's barely half the cast.

"Deadwood" is just littered with talent. Hell, you can make an argument that Olyphant or Boothe have the misfortune to be overshadowed by the fully earned and totally cashiered virtuosity of McShane. They're really great -- but he's from another planet entirely.

Part of the sadness in knowing that after this season there are only four hours instead of 12 is directly related to the work of these actors as they read the scripts. It's a pleasure to witness them at work.

On a positive note, Season 3 is in the can. On Sunday, it's going to leap out at you, like a knife from a desperate man's pocket. Watch yourself.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:25 PM   #6
Bad-example
College Starter

The writers show again they are perfectly willing to kill off popular characters. I liked Hostetler and was sad to see him come to that end.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:27 PM   #7
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I couldn't watch the end of the Dan/Turner fight. It was too much with the eye.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 06:12 PM   #8
Bad-example
College Starter

The flow of season three seems different from earlier seasons. Anyone else of the opinion that the quality of the writing has gone down a notch? The show just doesn't seem quite as compelling this season. Maybe my enjoyment is blunted knowing that the show will not return except in a couple two-hour movies next year.

Part of it might be my dislike of the casting of Major Dad as Hearst. I just don't think he brings a lot to the role. I can't help but imagine how much better someone like Bruce Dern would have been.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:33 AM   #9
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example
The flow of season three seems different from earlier seasons. Anyone else of the opinion that the quality of the writing has gone down a notch? The show just doesn't seem quite as compelling this season. Maybe my enjoyment is blunted knowing that the show will not return except in a couple two-hour movies next year.

Part of it might be my dislike of the casting of Major Dad as Hearst. I just don't think he brings a lot to the role. I can't help but imagine how much better someone like Bruce Dern would have been.

I feel the opposite, actually. This season has been the best so far, I think.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 11:27 AM   #10
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I agree that this season has been different than the first two. This season has been more menacing than anything else. A slow build without any of the release, through violence, that was present through season one and two. If this season can pull the slow build off, and after Sunday's episode I think they can, then it will be worth while. So basically I'm reserving judgement for the moment but do agree it hasn't been quite as good as Seasons 1 and 2.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:34 PM   #11
rexallllsc
Banned

I agree it hasn't been as compelling - I can feel the building, too. I think Milch has proven his worth - can't wait to see what happens.
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 08:59 PM   #12
Galaril
Pro Starter

Wow. I just found out that this got cancelled that really sucked. I loved Sweargens character.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 09:29 PM   #13
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Wow. I just found out that this got cancelled that really sucked. I loved Sweargens character.
Yeah it sucks a lot.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:24 AM   #14
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

There are rumors that HBO may put out a movie to wrap the whole thing up.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:33 PM   #15
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71 View Post
There are rumors that HBO may put out a movie to wrap the whole thing up.

Just saw this. The movie that HBO promised to wrap up the storyline is dead and the sets have been dismantled.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news07/071002e.php
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:53 AM   #16
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Just saw this. The movie that HBO promised to wrap up the storyline is dead and the sets have been dismantled.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news07/071002e.php

What a pity. Deadwood was the best drama I've seen in a long time
Mac Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 08:27 PM   #17
Johnny93g
College Starter

It's been 13 years, but let me just say, the Deadwood movie was worth the wait. I couldn't have imagined anything being better. Just wonderful.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 08:23 PM   #18
JPhillips
General Manager

I've been slowly watching this, and damn does it have incredible quotes.

"Custer was a cunt. The end."