Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Front Office Football Multiplayer > FOF MP Commish Resources
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-27-2011, 08:58 AM   #1
RedHawk00
H.S. Freshman Team

League Website Hosting

Just asking other commissioners out there, who are you using to host your websites?

Are they cheap?
Do they limit the bandwidth you use?
How do you handle the fees? pay all yourself, have league members contribute, something else?

RedHawk00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:52 PM   #2
beargrowlz
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk00 View Post
Just asking other commissioners out there, who are you using to host your websites?

Are they cheap?
Do they limit the bandwidth you use?
How do you handle the fees? pay all yourself, have league members contribute, something else?

I currently run my community off a dedicated server out of my home office on a business account. I wanted more physical control over the hardware and was sick and tired of webhosting excuses about why certain things weren't working and why they were taking so long to fix them. Your mileage may vary greatly with web hosting providers, but I like having total control of the machine, software, a business network with business UL/DL rates etc. I find things get fixed faster if I have to do the repairs myself rather than waiting for some customer service rep in Pakistan to find me the right tech person in Utah. Works for me, might not work for you.

IIRC the pricing is between $25-$50 depending how much bandwidth you wanted and extra bells and whistles.

As for paying for it, I think the monthly fees - if you go that way and contract with a service provider - are basically going to be you paying for them, if you want it to stay online. Members of your community are goodf for one time projects - sometimes more than once - in contributing $25 otr so, but it's not realistic to expect them to help pay for the service every month. I thin k you're on your own there.

Hope that helped.

Cheers,
-Bear

[email protected]
TCY Golden Scribe Winner - Bear Goes Home

"The measure of a man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out."
--Thomas B. Macaulay

Last edited by beargrowlz : 02-01-2011 at 01:54 PM.
beargrowlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:01 PM   #3
RaiderNation1984
n00b

I would love to set up a multi player league but I am an unable to do so because I don't know how to create an upload utility. Is there any way around this or could someone point me in the right direction?
RaiderNation1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:35 PM   #4
RedHawk00
H.S. Freshman Team

Thanks Bear, I will look into that route, it was one I didn't not think of. Need to find out if my internet provider can move me to a business dedicated IP, we shall see.
RedHawk00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:28 PM   #5
beargrowlz
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderNation1984 View Post
I would love to set up a multi player league but I am an unable to do so because I don't know how to create an upload utility. Is there any way around this or could someone point me in the right direction?

Contact jdavidbakr and see if his uploader is publicly available. It's prettycool but I don't know if he has released it to the public.

If not, there's one in widespread use coded by Kevin Moring. We don't use it anymore but I'd be happy to send it to you. Someone sent it to me when we first opened and we used it for a few seasons. It's simple and easy to use and gets the job done.

Cheers,
-Bear

[email protected]
TCY Golden Scribe Winner - Bear Goes Home

"The measure of a man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out."
--Thomas B. Macaulay
beargrowlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:33 AM   #6
Erik Holland
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderNation1984 View Post

at Big League Sports Net - BLSN you could ask todd if he want to host your league. This would give you access to upload and draft utills as an board for you guys to discuss on.

Think about it.

todd at bigleaguesports.net
Erik Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:24 AM   #7
scarface132
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by beargrowlz View Post
Contact jdavidbakr and see if his uploader is publicly available. It's prettycool but I don't know if he has released it to the public.

If not, there's one in widespread use coded by Kevin Moring. We don't use it anymore but I'd be happy to send it to you. Someone sent it to me when we first opened and we used it for a few seasons. It's simple and easy to use and gets the job done.

Cheers,
-Bear

Bear, mind sending it (and instructions if any) to me? I have contacted both lordscarlet, and wade moore of the Text Sports Network, as well as Ben E Lou for his web solution. Ben E Lou did get back to me, but I am guessing he is very busy, as he did not say when he could get to it. My members are antsy, but we do not have to tools in place to proceed, so I am trying to wait for a legit, and permanate hosting solution. I know you mentioned BigLeagueSports, and that is an option, but the others seem to have so much more to offer. Any other one's I am missing?

I really would love to get hooked up with one of the first two, (and I am still holding out hope) but maybe we are too eager, and restless? I dunno.

Thanks for your time.

John scarface132atgmail.com
scarface132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:08 PM   #8
ezlee2
n00b

That is really nice of you to respond, but you do know that post was 8 years old?
ezlee2 is offline   Reply With Quote