Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-17-2013, 06:36 PM   #151
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Whether or not they're used to successfully effect an overthrow, it's beats a slingshot for the potential to take down multiple targets in a short period of time. If that means nothing more than taking as many of the (multiple categories of) bastards when you when you go, it's still an improvement over not having the option.

The government has ballistic missiles, predator drones, and the most advanced military technology the world has ever seen. You're talking about a fly being swatted away.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #152
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The government has ballistic missiles, predator drones, and the most advanced military technology the world has ever seen. You're talking about a fly being swatted away.

I know that the military isn't a model of cost efficiency or anything buuuuut ... well, you've gotta be a pretty high value target to qualify for anything of that size.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:05 PM   #153
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
No offense meant to your wife or you, but I have a hard time justifying "this person isn't very good with this tool, so you can't limit them to 2 or 4 rounds. It needs to be 20 or 40"

How's that any different than "my wife...she's not a great driver...she has a hard time not drifting into other lanes."

One gets their license taken away, or is no longer insurable.

I just have a hard time saying we need to make options available for people who maybe shouldn't be carrying a gun/driving in the first place.

(and yes, I know gun owership is a "God given right", and driving is merely a "privlege").

No offense taken and I understand your point. Today I'd put my wife against most any police officer or other individual I know with a hand gun...that ws her first try. We also shoot. A lot.

I like video games, she does not.
She likes shopping, I do not.
We both enjoy shooting, and have enough land to do it safely and ave range memberships etc. it's not uncommon on a Saturday afternoon for the kinds t go t a friends b-day or whatever and us to go t the range or the farm and shoot. We'll do the same stuff other copies may do over a card game or board game...silly wagers about dishes or more fun stuff over who can hit closer or whatever.

Now I love tot hunt, she really isn't in to it. not because of killing Bambi but because she hates early mornings, cod and briars...which collectively rules out hunting. I bought my son a deer rifle at 11, it stays in our sfa but he knows the combination. He killed is first deer this year at 12 at just over 200 yards...I was out of town when him and his grandpa called and texted me a picture....I shed a tear of joy and pride over that one tbh.

I say all that for perspective. Again I think some level of magazine capacity is a great start. I just don't know what the right number is. maybe 20? I used her first shot anecdote to say I don't think 9 is the right number as NY apparently does.

Gun ownership is a privilege in my eyes, just like driving a car. If you prove yourself unworthy you deserve to lose both rights.

But by the same token, I have a home built hot rod, that I've had over 150mph on a closed track day, it is street legal. We all know increased speed increases the chance of fatality in car wrecks, sold my hot rod be take away because it can go over 75?...

That's a better analogy to me. I mean, heck if we regulated all cars to 70mph tops, we could improve fuel economy, save the planet, reduce automobile deaths...ts great let's outlaw all cars that can run over 70mph. Nope it doesn't matter how you drive, we can't trust you to be responsible, we will need to seize your car.

That's a real concern of mine, in my life time. I actually use firearms as a small percentage of my investment portfolio. I literally have tens of thousands of dollars at stake depending on how far someone went with a categorical ban.

And the precedent is scary.

I agree with the defend freedom against the gov't argument in principal, but recognize that none of my weapons alone are much match for a fighter jet...but they are a good match for a single rogue cop. That t me has a value.

Balancing that with making sure sandy hook never happens again, I'm not sure where the answer lies.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #154
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
I know that the military isn't a model of cost efficiency or anything buuuuut ... well, you've gotta be a pretty high value target to qualify for anything of that size.

Welp, your best case is a couple of professional, trained soldiers with combat training, experience, vehicles, and weaponry.

I have to say though, it's this line of thinking that is the most concerning for a non-national like myself.................
Old 01-18-2013, 08:29 AM   #155
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I have lost all faith in people and common sense. Now I am seeing the gun nuts passing around FB posts comparing Obama to Hitler.

I am certainly not an Obama supporter... but seriously folks?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:52 AM   #156
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
I have lost all faith in people and common sense. Now I am seeing the gun nuts passing around FB posts comparing Obama to Hitler.

I am certainly not an Obama supporter... but seriously folks?

Are you new to the internets?

Last edited by panerd : 01-18-2013 at 08:59 AM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:53 AM   #157
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I have lost all faith in people and common sense. Now I am seeing the gun nuts passing around FB posts comparing Obama to Hitler. I am certainly not an Obama supporter... but seriously folks?

There are similarities, but some key differences too. As I recall, Hitler didn't order the disarming of the entire German population, only certain elements of it.

Then again he also never came as close to destroying the U.S. as Obama seems to be getting, nor does it seem that he was as intent on it either.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:59 AM   #158
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

heh. hitler: lung cancer propagandist
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:01 AM   #159
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorvTurnerOverdrive View Post
heh. hitler: lung cancer propagandist

Yeah I figured I would try to find an outragous old timer comparison and pulled up that gem. I was going to link a Jesus/Hitler picture but thought things might sprial out of control. But the fact that Eaglefan (who appears internet saavy) has never seen the politician/Hitler comparison before is what puzzles me more than the fact that some idiots are making the Obama/Hitler one.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:13 AM   #160
BlackJack
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
No offense taken and I understand your point. Today I'd put my wife against most any police officer or other individual I know with a hand gun...that ws her first try. We also shoot. A lot.

We both enjoy shooting, and have enough land to do it safely and ave range memberships etc. it's not uncommon on a Saturday afternoon for the kinds t go t a friends b-day or whatever and us to go t the range or the farm and shoot. We'll do the same stuff other copies may do over a card game or board game...silly wagers about dishes or more fun stuff over who can hit closer or whatever.

Now I love tot hunt, she really isn't in to it. not because of killing Bambi but because she hates early mornings, cod and briars...which collectively rules out hunting. I bought my son a deer rifle at 11, it stays in our sfa but he knows the combination. He killed is first deer this year at 12 at just over 200 yards...I was out of town when him and his grandpa called and texted me a picture....I shed a tear of joy and pride over that one tbh.

I say all that for perspective. Again I think some level of magazine capacity is a great start. I just don't know what the right number is. maybe 20? I used her first shot anecdote to say I don't think 9 is the right number as NY apparently does.

Gun ownership is a privilege in my eyes, just like driving a car. If you prove yourself unworthy you deserve to lose both rights.

But by the same token, I have a home built hot rod, that I've had over 150mph on a closed track day, it is street legal. We all know increased speed increases the chance of fatality in car wrecks, sold my hot rod be take away because it can go over 75?...

That's a better analogy to me. I mean, heck if we regulated all cars to 70mph tops, we could improve fuel economy, save the planet, reduce automobile deaths...ts great let's outlaw all cars that can run over 70mph. Nope it doesn't matter how you drive, we can't trust you to be responsible, we will need to seize your car.

That's a real concern of mine, in my life time. I actually use firearms as a small percentage of my investment portfolio. I literally have tens of thousands of dollars at stake depending on how far someone went with a categorical ban.

I agree with the defend freedom against the gov't argument in principal, but recognize that none of my weapons alone are much match for a fighter jet...but they are a good match for a single rogue cop. That t me has a value.

Balancing that with making sure sandy hook never happens again, I'm not sure where the answer lies.

Oh, well, why didn't you say up front that a small percentage of your investment portfolio was at stake? Thank you for your misguided honesty.
BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:17 AM   #161
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I wish we would stop electing Hitlers.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:41 AM   #162
JPhillips
General Manager

Which one is the Hitler fruit?
Old 01-18-2013, 10:50 AM   #163
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Which one is the Hitler fruit?

Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:10 AM   #164
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Ask Cliff Clavin.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #165
JediKooter
Coordinator

No Hitler collection can be complete without one of these:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 404.jpg (16.1 KB, 139 views)

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:14 PM   #166
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post

Yeah I figured I would try to find an outragous old timer comparison and pulled up that gem. I was going to link a Jesus/Hitler picture but thought things might sprial out of control. But the fact that Eaglefan (who appears internet saavy) has never seen the politician/Hitler comparison before is what puzzles me more than the fact that some idiots are making the Obama/Hitler one.

I've seen it before but it has gotten out of control. It used to be once in a while crap that I could just ignore. Now it's constant. People that I used to think were sane are now posting this crap. WTF?!?! Hell, I was quite vocal about my dislike for Obama but I wouldn't come close to calling him Hitler, that's just insane.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:27 PM   #167
Autumn
Head Coach

People need to be entertained, people like to be outraged. It would be great if people found truly outrageous things to be outraged about, but they usually don't.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #168
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
People need to be entertained, people like to be outraged. It would be great if people found truly outrageous things to be outraged about, but they usually don't.

Well, there's this.

Subway’s 11-inch ‘footlong’ sandwich sparks online uproar - Business - The Boston Globe

This is like 9/11, Hurricane Katrina, and Sandy Hook all rolled into one.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:40 PM   #169
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Seriously every sub has the same (lack) of meat on it. OMG I got shorted 1" of bread.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:45 PM   #170
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Well, there's this.

Subway’s 11-inch ‘footlong’ sandwich sparks online uproar - Business - The Boston Globe

This is like 9/11, Hurricane Katrina, and Sandy Hook all rolled into one.

This is why we need assault rifles. For people who feel they can't measure up...
Old 01-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #171
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Seriously every sub has the same (lack) of meat on it. OMG I got shorted 1" of bread.

Quote:
This is why we need assault rifles. For people who feel they can't measure up...

No more talk about being "shorted an inch". That's too close to home.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:13 AM   #172
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
There are similarities, but some key differences too. As I recall, Hitler didn't order the disarming of the entire German population, only certain elements of it.

Then again he also never came as close to destroying the U.S. as Obama seems to be getting, nor does it seem that he was as intent on it either.

I know that it's about "shock value" at this point for you, but this is so hilariously stupid it's worth quoting again.

Last edited by RainMaker : 01-19-2013 at 01:13 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:54 AM   #173
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Since we are making up conspiracy theories...

1. Obama had done nothing in terms of gun control. Never even mentioned guns. The NRA was losing credibility and money was down. They needed something that would force this administration to show its hand so they could rally the troops. It's a little too convenient they had a tag line ready such as "The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun."

2. Obama needed an event that would tug at the hearts of average Americans so he could impose draconian gun control measures. The previous killing sprees orchestrated by this administration had not done the job, so we needed some dead kids on the news. This was something that was obviously done by a team of professionals, not some lone gunman. Sandy Hook Elementary was selected due to the variety of kids whose pictures would be splashed across CNN & FOX News. Black kids, white kids... even a Latina teacher. Obama sent a SEAL team in to kill them so he can steal our freedom.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:16 AM   #174
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I know that it's about "shock value" at this point for you, but this is so hilariously stupid it's worth quoting again.

I was being flippant, I figured that was obvious from the posting style.

The most notable similarity between the two is probably megalomania. Most of the others likely stem from that.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:24 AM   #175
RainMaker
General Manager

Sorry, I just got done going through about 20 WW2 documentaries over the holiday on Netflix. The one on Auschwitz is breathtaking. Hitler was a really bad dude and I sometimes feel like people undersell that with modern day comparisons. Same for guys like Stalin.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #176
gstelmack
Pro Starter

This isn't going to help us gun rights folks very much:

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=8960332
Old 01-19-2013, 03:20 PM   #177
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Make gun ownership similar to car licensing. Make it an annual registration where the owner pays per weapon and all guns have a ballistics test run.

I don't have a problem with owning guns. I just don't like that there is very little regulation and when someone is killed with a gun (that is likely illegal) there is typically no way to trace how the gun got to where it was used in an illegal act. If it had been registered with a ballistics test cataloged, they could say "Ok, this gun belongs to _______. Let's go ask where the gun is. I bet a great deal of the guns out there illegally come from the same places.

A good guy with a gun is NOT the only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun. Keeping the gun out of the bad guy's possession could be helpful as well.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:27 PM   #178
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
A good guy with a gun is NOT the only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun. Keeping the gun out of the bad guy's possession could be helpful as well.
Rational thoughts have no place in this debate!
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #179
JPhillips
General Manager

There were at least five accidental shootings at Gun Appreciation Day events.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:56 PM   #180
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:58 PM   #181
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:

Darwinism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 01-20-2013, 02:10 AM   #182
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post

We should absolutely force people to be held to, at minimum the same registration standards as owning a car. The fact that we don't through loopholes is a joke. The fact that asshat "conservatives" think this is an issue 90% of Americans are really in conflict about makes me laugh and is the reason I think the Republican Party will disintegrate in a few years because they are wasting time on unimportant bullshit that has nothing to do with being an actual conservative.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 02:56 PM   #183
RainMaker
General Manager

This shit takes darker and darker turns.

Lawyers: Alex Jones sent child porn to Sandy Hook families - Connecticut Post
Old 06-17-2019, 03:02 PM   #184
JPhillips
General Manager

That headline is a bit sensationalist. The materials he turned over to lawyers for the families contained child porn. He's still screwed, but he didn't send it directly to the families.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:07 PM   #185
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

My guess is that once the families turned the stuff over to the FBI, it got warrants.

My second guess, based on the first, is that Jones is fucked because he probably had child porn on his computer and the FBI found it.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 03:11 PM   #186
JPhillips
General Manager

Yeah. Makes his rant last week make more sense, though.

Have fun in prison, pedo.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:58 PM   #187
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
That headline is a bit sensationalist. The materials he turned over to lawyers for the families contained child porn. He's still screwed, but he didn't send it directly to the families.

True. Although he did threaten the lawyers and offer a reward for their murder.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:34 PM   #188
Radii
Head Coach

“The FBI advised counsel that its review located numerous additional illegal images, which had apparently been sent to InfoWars email addresses,” they stated."

I saw another reference to e-mail metadata. Alex Jones is a horrible human being all the way around, but could this just be turning over things that trolls had been sending to infowars that he actually was not aware of?
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:47 PM   #189
JPhillips
General Manager

Yeah, the more that comes out the less bad this looks for Jones. Unless there's more to it, it looks like a bulk patch of received emails with child porn in it.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:56 PM   #190
miami_fan
Coordinator

I appreciate this benefit of the doubt that we are giving in this case. HOPEFULLY, this same benefit is given moving forward for the next case involving child porn.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:05 PM   #191
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

People are innocent until proven guilty
Old 06-17-2019, 09:50 PM   #192
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Let that piece of garbage rot, just because he deserves it.