Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-17-2015, 09:03 PM   #3251
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyyy View Post
Wild guess since it's been a long time is that it was Hollinger's formula:
PTS + 0.4 * FG - 0.7 * FGA - 0.4*(FTA - FT) + 0.7 * ORB + 0.3 * DRB + STL + 0.7 * AST + 0.7 * BLK - 0.4 * PF - TOV.

That looks very familier yeah
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:54 PM   #3252
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
That looks very familier yeah

Don't they have that in FBCB? Or is it just the pro game?
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:44 AM   #3253
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
Don't they have that in FBCB? Or is it just the pro game?

I don't think Hollinger's number is in either game.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 10:20 AM   #3254
nol
Banned

Quote:
I don't think Hollinger's number is in either game.

Found it in the pro game.
Attached Images
File Type: png PER.png (239.4 KB, 680 views)
Old 05-18-2015, 11:09 AM   #3255
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
Found it in the pro game.

Dragic in Philly... hahahaha

Back to the subject and I'll have to look later but does the game export player stats to a text file. I know it use to do team stats because I used my NBA formula to project point spreads using the four factors to put out college point spreads at one time.

I wouldn't be that hard to make one if I could copy and paste the info to google drive and then have it computer everything.

Last edited by murrayyyyy : 05-18-2015 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:14 AM   #3256
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Back to the subject and I'll have to look later but does the game export player stats to a text file. I know it use to do team stats because I used my NBA formula to project point spreads using the four factors to put out college point spreads at one time.

I wouldn't be that hard to make one if I could copy and paste the info to google drive and then have it computer everything.

FBCB has season/career/team stats reports that export to CSV (career meaning career stats for everyone currently plyaing, not historical or anything of course)
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:54 AM   #3257
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Perhaps I'm just slow to notice, but my players are growing in the off-season. Had a 7-0 grow to 7-1 and a 7-3 grow to 7-4. Is this a recent change or has it always been this way?
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 03:05 PM   #3258
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants View Post
Perhaps I'm just slow to notice, but my players are growing in the off-season. Had a 7-0 grow to 7-1 and a 7-3 grow to 7-4. Is this a recent change or has it always been this way?

Always as far as I know.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:29 PM   #3259
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
Always as far as I know.

Thanks, I simply never noticed before.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
Old 05-28-2015, 08:06 AM   #3260
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Thanks, I simply never noticed before.

Ya its always been there OG. I know I don't really notice it until one of my 7"0 guys shoots up because 7'0 for whatever reason to me is a milestone height wise and that's what I pay attention to.

If Brian plans on working on a new version, I think finding a spot where all height and weight gains get marked somewhere would be a nice thing to see added somewhere.

Last edited by muns : 05-28-2015 at 08:06 AM.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 05:09 PM   #3261
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

Could someone give me a quick rundown of how to determine which defensive sets will work best for my players? Also how to best judge which pace and motion setting?
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 01:00 PM   #3262
britrock88
Pro Starter

Defensive sets--better PSD/PRD ratings lend themselves to man/matchup sets. Choosing among zones, 2-3s make it difficult to shoot inside, 3-2s make it difficult to shoot outside, and the 1-3-1 and 2-1-2 make it difficult to move the ball around. You give up something in terms of defensive rebounding whenever you go zone, though, as bodies aren't marking bodies.

Pace, I look at as an extension of my team's talent level vis-a-vis their opponents' talent. Notch it up if you're better to try to capitalize on your advantages; vice versa if you're worse. If you have key players with high or low stamina, that can affect your decision-making, too.

Motion, I look at as a function of your team's ability to create its own shots and move the ball. It helps you make up for a lack of players with good INS ratings, or allows you to take advantage of a roster with good HND/PAS ratings.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 02:01 PM   #3263
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Who is the '1' in a 2-1-2? I think it is the SF, however I've never been certain about that.

I tend to use the pace the game suggests until I get a fully recruited team. Ditto with the defensive sets.

I have been trying to emulate UVa's Pack Line Zone in the game with decent results. You do need better players for this scheme to work. It is man with 'Double Inside' set to 10 and Double Outside set to 3. Trap is 7 and Full Court Press is 3. This seems get the low shooting percentage by opponents with the occasional bad beat loss to hot 3-point shooting.
Old 05-30-2015, 04:54 PM   #3264
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Who is the '1' in a 2-1-2? I think it is the SF, however I've never been certain about that.

I tend to use the pace the game suggests until I get a fully recruited team. Ditto with the defensive sets.

I have been trying to emulate UVa's Pack Line Zone in the game with decent results. You do need better players for this scheme to work. It is man with 'Double Inside' set to 10 and Double Outside set to 3. Trap is 7 and Full Court Press is 3. This seems get the low shooting percentage by opponents with the occasional bad beat loss to hot 3-point shooting.

2-1-2 and 2-3 are close to the same thing so in the 2-1-2 I believe the center is the 1 (all his areas are in the box). Should have the two guards up top and the SF/PF each taking the back sides.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:29 AM   #3265
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

That's what I thought, the C steps up. However the game only suggests 2-1-2 when I have a beast defender at SF. So I wonder.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:05 PM   #3266
Emmett13
Mascot

Would it ever be possible to edit schedules? Even if fixing the scheduling issue is difficult. I wouldn't mind taking a few minutes each season switching unrealistic road games to home games.

For instance, in my current season, here is an example of some road games that would very, very rarely happen:

Pittsburgh, who is ranked #2, and is a 100 prestige school, is playing at Coppin State who is a 10 prestige school.

Kansas (98) at McNeese State (15).

Maryland (74) has to go on the road to play at USC Upstate (23), at South Carolina State (12), at Coppin State (10), all in the same season.

I have a theory that one of the reasons some teams seemingly never get out of the cellar in major conferences is because not only do they get pummeled in conference every season, they make things even harder on themselves by playing low RPI teams on the road (and often losing), which results in horrible overall records which kill their prestige and ability to recruit and they get stuck in a cycle of being a 60 prestige team in the ACC.

Or maybe power conference RPI's should bottom out a little higher and none of that other stuff is necessary.
Emmett13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:07 PM   #3267
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmett13 View Post
Would it ever be possible to edit schedules? Even if fixing the scheduling issue is difficult. I wouldn't mind taking a few minutes each season switching unrealistic road games to home games.

For instance, in my current season, here is an example of some road games that would very, very rarely happen:

Pittsburgh, who is ranked #2, and is a 100 prestige school, is playing at Coppin State who is a 10 prestige school.

Kansas (98) at McNeese State (15).

Maryland (74) has to go on the road to play at USC Upstate (23), at South Carolina State (12), at Coppin State (10), all in the same season.

I have a theory that one of the reasons some teams seemingly never get out of the cellar in major conferences is because not only do they get pummeled in conference every season, they make things even harder on themselves by playing low RPI teams on the road (and often losing), which results in horrible overall records which kill their prestige and ability to recruit and they get stuck in a cycle of being a 60 prestige team in the ACC.

Or maybe power conference RPI's should bottom out a little higher and none of that other stuff is necessary.

FWIW, I tend to just do my own schedule using the editor rather than letting the game help me select games. You could do the same for those programs if you wanted to.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:42 PM   #3268
Emmett13
Mascot

Really? That's interesting, how would you go about doing that for non-user teams?
Emmett13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:27 PM   #3269
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmett13 View Post
Really? That's interesting, how would you go about doing that for non-user teams?

Tools --> Schedule Game

during the scheduling part of the season and you can schedule games for anybody you want. If you get it during the preseason tournament time, you can schedule those too.

It's what you'd do for an online league, so this is just doing the same thing for yourself in a solo scenario where all of the teams are yours or whatever.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:06 AM   #3270
muns
Pro Starter

Few files to go before we roll the season over in NCAA 53. We will finish the first season in a little over a month real time. Come grab a team.

The year was 2015. The college basketball history books have been written. Gone were the days of Wooden and UCLA, the old glory days of Rupp and Kentucky, and the Brillance of Phog Allen in Kansas. Now, you have the one and done’s with Calipari, the game being played above the rim with many teams running and gunning, and what many people see as the decline of fundamental basketball. Is Duke and Coach K the new way to play the game? Is Tom Izzo and Michigan State the model for how coaches should be building their teams? Is John Calipari good for College basketball? On top of those basketball related questions, has the commercialization ruined amateur athletics? I don’t know about all of you, but those questions are enough to make my head spin.

But what if I told you there was a way we could return to a time where the game and its history could be re-written? Want to play as the St. Bonaventure Brown Indians in the Western New York Little Three Conference? Or how about the Hardin-Simmons Cowboys of the Border Intercollegiate Athletic Association? Or maybe you want to try your luck within the Atlantic Coast Conference (with only 8 teams) as Wake Forest? Have you even heard of the Alabama Polytechnic Institute Tigers? Want to try and make them the powerhouse of the Southeastern Conference? There are plenty of teams and storylines to be had, followed, changed and wrote about.

Just imagine if Wooden and the greatest dynasty college basketball has ever seen didn’t happen. What if there was no early entry to the draft and every player graduated from college? How about if Tobacco Road was never important in the basketball landscape? Other than the Ivy Group, what if there were no academic standards? What if Philly and the Big 5 turned into the basketball Mecca of the world?

Enter Murrayyyyy and his vision for a way to rewrite the college basketball history books using Fast Break College Basketball 2010. All the authentic team names and logos. All the conference alignments as it was back in the day with both team and conference movements that occur as they did back then.

NCAA 53 is an opportunity to take the reins of your favorite college basketball program at a time where the NCAA was just starting to get into its groove. Thanks to a win by the CCNY Beavers who won both the NIT and NCAA tournaments in 1950, the NCAA orchestrated a shift in the basketball landscape the following year. Teams would no longer be eligible to play in both tournaments. The spotlight that had always been shone on the NIT and New York were now going to be shut off. Sunny California and the West were going to have their time to shine. Will this shift happen in NCAA 53? Will you let it?

Come on over and check us out. Plenty of spots available with both inexperienced FBCB players and vets alike. Play around and have some fun in a league where every single recruiting action and every single coaching action has a ripple effect on the college landscape. Come rewrite the history books and change everything you have ever hated about college basketball. Do you have the guts to make New York University Violets the next Duke? Do you have what it takes to become the next John Thompson or Pete Carril?

Come show us what you got!

Sign-ups
404 - PAGE NOT FOUND

HTML
http://nabf.us/html/
Old 06-10-2015, 03:41 PM   #3271
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

The sign-up link above 404'd, so here is the real one:

SimNation Forums
Old 11-12-2015, 09:46 PM   #3272
britrock88
Pro Starter

Just in time for the new season--a new file with a couple bits of realignment, some tweaks to conference schedules and tournaments, and updated prestige!

Enjoy!

2015-16.zip
Old 11-13-2015, 07:02 AM   #3273
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
Just in time for the new season--a new file with a couple bits of realignment, some tweaks to conference schedules and tournaments, and updated prestige!

Enjoy!

Attachment 5812

Thanks Brit
Old 02-21-2016, 12:30 PM   #3274
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

What controls the player names? I keep loading a new file and it doesn't appear the changes I've made to the NAFirst/Last names files seems to be taking. Does the first set of names come from sort of stock hard coded names thing? I'm going to figure it out as the game sims a few seasons anyway, but I just wanted to know because I rebuilt my NA first names file somewhat dramatically and just wanted to know if I'm wasting my time, lol.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:29 PM   #3275
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
What controls the player names? I keep loading a new file and it doesn't appear the changes I've made to the NAFirst/Last names files seems to be taking. Does the first set of names come from sort of stock hard coded names thing? I'm going to figure it out as the game sims a few seasons anyway, but I just wanted to know because I rebuilt my NA first names file somewhat dramatically and just wanted to know if I'm wasting my time, lol.

You aren't wasting your time, I've added thousands of names to these files over the years and they work for me. A quick way to test would be to back those files up and replace it with a text file with just one first name and one last name - I haven't tried it, but I suspect you should get every American player with the same name.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:36 PM   #3276
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Got it now, there were two directories, b/c I had a women's league in a different directory once but I'd forgotten about it. Phew.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 02-21-2016 at 10:36 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:49 PM   #3277
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Got back into the game this weekend and have been running a college league test for about 30+ seasons with a 32-team tournament, but with all of the real life conferences in-game. So basically no at-large bids at all. It's fascinating to see how the parity works in that system, the fluke teams that make the tournament and it also makes the NIT a lot more interesting (I have it set to 40 teams) and worth a lot more than an NCAA title in some years because of that.

I think I'm about to expand the tournament now to 64, but I almost don't want to because it's kind of fun seeing how interesting it can be for teams to end up in the Elite 8 without pedigree on the backs of a strong year + tournament.

It also explains how teams like Wyoming and Loyola Chicago won NCAA tournaments back in the day and how they'd never win one now.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:35 AM   #3278
britrock88
Pro Starter

That setup, but with conference tournaments off, could be a doozy. 32 regular-season champs in the NCAA, 32/40 at-larges in the NIT. Man.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:12 PM   #3279
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
That setup, but with conference tournaments off, could be a doozy. 32 regular-season champs in the NCAA, 32/40 at-larges in the NIT. Man.

Doing this now. Haha..would've sooner was just too lazy to turn off conference tournaments. But starting with it now, since I didn't go to 64 yet.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:36 PM   #3280
nol
Banned

Quote:
It also explains how teams like Wyoming and Loyola Chicago won NCAA tournaments back in the day and how they'd never win one now.

I'd say recruiting and playing black players when other schools wouldn't is a stronger explanation for Loyola, but nonetheless the set-up looks fun.
Old 02-28-2016, 02:40 PM   #3281
britrock88
Pro Starter

Just stumbled across a 5'7" PG from Indiana that... has Arlie's full name???
Old 02-28-2016, 03:38 PM   #3282
Comey
College Starter

We had Arlon Rahn at Kansas in NCAA53...

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:51 PM   #3283
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post
We had Arlon Rahn at Kansas in NCAA53...

How quickly I forget.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:10 PM   #3284
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Not sure if HR/Brian is still active or not but I have a question for him or anyone else that may have input. In reviewing the impact of the new rule changes made for Men's Basketball this year I've done some analysis on the averages of the RL season vs a simmed season in FBCB.

Really nothing is too far off, the only thing I really would like to adjust is the number of FGA/game is 5.8 too low with 3PA/game being 5.0 too low. So I want to modify the INI file to adjust to increase FGA by about 10% with almost all 10% applying to 3PA.

Any ideas?

I also want to give FG%, 3P%, and FT% a slight boost but I think I can figure those out.

Those adjustment alone will get things pretty dang close.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:59 AM   #3285
britrock88
Pro Starter

I have played around with the INI file before. Basically a trial-and-error process of adjusting the file, then quick-simming a season to see where median team numbers shake out.

When I have some time, I can peek in to see what changes are doable. (My past experiments have dealt with pace and turnover rates, mainly.)
Old 03-15-2016, 02:18 PM   #3286
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Yeah, I will test away. I'm going to start with getting the shot attempts up and go from there.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:15 PM   #3287
Arles
Grey Dog Software

We are running a $5 off promotion on FBCB this month:

"We are happy to announce that Grey Dog Software is running a $5 off promotion for Fast Break College Basketball in the 2016 March Madness sale! Beginning today, you can use the coupon code FBCB5 at checkout in the webstore to save $5 off when you purchase Fast Break College Basketball. This promotion will run through Monday night, April 4.

To take part in this promotion, please visit our webstore and add Fast Break College Basketball to your shopping cart. Next, choose the option "I have a discount coupon for this product" for each item in your cart and enter the code. You will see the discount at check out!"
Old 03-15-2016, 10:18 PM   #3288
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Got some good results by tweaking the FBCB.ini file. Averages for all key stats are within 0.5/game

Of course the only exception is PPG. I'm settling at 70 instead of 73...only because too many teams are at the high end and too many teams at the low end. If I push to much further I will get a team or 2 averaging in the mid-90s.

Now finalizing my coaches mod...then rolling again
Old 03-15-2016, 10:35 PM   #3289
Groundhog
Coordinator

Would you mind posting your ini settings?
Old 03-16-2016, 07:04 AM   #3290
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Yeah I will tonight
Old 03-16-2016, 10:24 AM   #3291
britrock88
Pro Starter

I'm hoping to try to match up to this year's new rate stats, as well.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:19 PM   #3292
Groundhog
Coordinator

It's something I've kept "meaning" to do, but never actually get around to.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:50 PM   #3293
Balldog
Pro Rookie

See attached. Note, I also reduced the Foreign figures more to my liking. I don't like having so many in the Top 100 so I reduced the quantity and the talent level.

Here are the results. Overall they are pretty good compared to average but the high end and low end are extreme. I'm not finding a good way to get these closer to real life at this point.

Attached Images
File Type: png FBCB vs RL.png (45.8 KB, 93 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip FBCB.zip (621 Bytes, 21 views)
Old 03-16-2016, 06:57 PM   #3294
Groundhog
Coordinator

Awesome, thanks!
Old 03-16-2016, 07:09 PM   #3295
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Thanks for sharing this.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:43 PM   #3296
QuikSand
lolzcat

Let's just say that I'm a veteran FBCB player who plays from time to time, but never bothered to use any add-ins and so forth. And I like what I'm hearing about altering the presence of foreign players. How d I get this here .zip file into the game to work properly?

Asking for a friend.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:12 PM   #3297
Groundhog
Coordinator

I'm at work and can't check, but I believe all you need to do is copy this into your main FBCB folder, and overwrite the existing FBCB.ini file. I think that should work even for saved games, but I can't recall off the top of my head if you can add the FBCB.ini file to each save game folder, too.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:18 PM   #3298
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Let's just say that I'm a veteran FBCB player who plays from time to time, but never bothered to use any add-ins and so forth. And I like what I'm hearing about altering the presence of foreign players. How d I get this here .zip file into the game to work properly?

Asking for a friend.

YD would know all about overwriting the name files.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:18 PM   #3299
britrock88
Pro Starter

Though I should add that the INI file has a foreign recruit variable, IIRC.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:10 PM   #3300
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I'm at work and can't check, but I believe all you need to do is copy this into your main FBCB folder, and overwrite the existing FBCB.ini file. I think that should work even for saved games, but I can't recall off the top of my head if you can add the FBCB.ini file to each save game folder, too.

You're right. Just overwrite and go. The FBCB.ini file is in the Program Files/GDS/FBCB folder whatever yours is called. Not in the documents folder where the names files and such exist. That's the only wrinkle that you need to know.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 03-16-2016 at 10:12 PM.