Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-29-2003, 03:14 PM   #1
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Playing defense in console football

First off, the only good video games I have ever been good at is RBI Baseball and Tecmo Super Bowl. I am what you would call slightly retarded when it comes to the coordination department. However, I recently got an Xbox and have fallen in love with the graphics. After some practice and lowering the difficulty to PL (Pussy Level) in NFL Fever, NFL 2k3 and NCAA 2003, I have gotten the hang of offense. I feel involved in every play and that what I do really makes a difference. Unfortunately on defense, in all 3 of these games, I feel more like a spectator. I pick a play and then switch the defender at the last moment and hope I swat the ball away at the last second from the computer's wide reciever. And if I do swat the ball away, it feels more like luck or the computer would have dropped the ball anyway. So I guess my question is and keep in mind I stink at video games, but how does everyone play defense? Is it best to take a linebacker and shadow a wide reciever? Or is it best to try to go for a sack or basically what is the best strategy. Secondly, what football game out there gives you the most fun playing defense? To me, from Fever, 2k3 and NCAA, they all feel the same, but maybe there is another game out there or maybe I am not employing the right strategy. Any help would be met with a handshake and a shot of jack daniels.

LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 03:17 PM   #2
ice4277
Pro Rookie

I always find I tend to hit the wrong button when I go back into coverage, so I usually take one of the defensive ends, and only switch if the play gets beyond the line.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 03:21 PM   #3
sooner333
College Starter

I just kind of use a defensive tackle and try to stop the run or sack the QB. When I use a DB or LB I usually mess up and they score a TD or get a long pass or something.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 03:30 PM   #4
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

I can never use a DB either. So I just pick a DT and go after the QB or try to stop the run.
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 03:36 PM   #5
sabotai
General Manager

Rule #1: NEVER switch to a different defender when the ball is being passed. 9 times out 10, you end up messing the play up.

Rule #2: DO switch to a different defender when the ball is being ran. 9 times out of 10, the AI guy chasing the RB or whoever ends up messing the play up.

Rule #3: This ain't Nintendo. Don't dive unless up have to. Guys don't go flying 5 times faster than they run in football games anymore. Diving will usually mess you up.

I used to always play as a DE. But I started playing SS in Madden 2003. The only problem is there isn't a camera angle that I can plant on me as I watch the WR. SO in other words, if the guy I'm covering runs off screen, I'm screwed. Other than that, I have more fun playing SS than I do as a DL.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 04:34 PM   #6
tucker342
Pro Starter

My main problem when someone runs the ball, is that I usually dive the wrong way... I usually play on the defensive line, but it's alot more fun being safety...
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 08:11 PM   #7
Tigercat
College Starter

for NCAA

#1, Coverage at the start of the play can be easier if you have a DB who is strong enough and quick enough to jam at the line. Hopefully the DB is also quick and fast enough that if you go for the jam and the WR goes past you you can make up for it.

#2, SS is a good position to pick. I would suggest you select the SS and let the computer control him for the first few seconds after the snap, usually the computer does a good job of putting a decent SS into position when the play starts, but the computer SS does not always make the play.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 03:36 AM   #8
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I tend to play linebackers. I usually pick a play where the linebacker is blitzing or firing the gap. I take that guy and do what he's supposed to do. Have to be careful not to take a linebacker who is supposed to drop back into coverage.

If I play a zone, where all my linebackers drop into coverage, I'll rush the QB with an end.

I agree with all the above. NEVER play DB. Let the computer handle that. And, I have been burned for so many touchdowns trying to switch to the guy right near the QB, hitting "dive", and watching the DB dive out of the way of the ball.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 08:34 AM   #9
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Honolulu_Blue
And, I have been burned for so many touchdowns trying to switch to the guy right near the QB, hitting "dive", and watching the DB dive out of the way of the ball.

And it always happens in the 4th quarter of a game against your biggest rival, or in the national title game, etc.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 08:54 AM   #10
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. I almost wonder now if video games would be better served by going back to the tecmo super bowl way of playing defense. Sure, running wild all over the field with Lawrence Taylor or Ronnie Lott wasn't completely realistic, but at least on defense I felt involved and that I had more of an impact on the game. I mean, its ten years later and we still remember how awesome Taylor and Lott were in that stupid video game. Has there ever been a defensive player of that caliber in Madden?

Another way of putting this is: do people find playing defense fun in current video games? I love offense, but defense seems to be missing something in current games.
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 09:38 AM   #11
mrsimperless
College Prospect

I guess I take the opposite approach of everyone else here in that I love playing FS. I usually pick some sort of "man under" or "man over" coverage that leaves me free to roam the field, while all of the receivers (in a normal offensive set) will be covered. I am free to try and stop the run or make plays on the ball, and making a coverage mistake usually doesn't cost us a TD. As I get better I am starting to graduate towards more "normal" coverages where if I mess up it CAN result in huge plays for the other team. It just takes some getting used to and a lot of patience.

Also, I NEVER switch guys on defense. For some reason I have always considered this "cheating" of sorts, and it's more of a personal honor thing with me. If I can't get my guy in position to make the play then I don't deserve to magically control someone else near the ball. To each his own on this aspect I suppose.

Also, I would love to see some sort of "DB Cam" implemented in football games that I could use while on defense that wouldn't affect my offensive cam. As it stands now it is impossible to play as a CB because of screen limitations. (You can't cover what you can't see) It is bad enough playing safety sometimes. And I refuse to switch camera angles after every side change.
Old 06-30-2003, 10:08 AM   #12
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I play either safety or MLB. MLB is my favorite because I can cover a large area. In NCAA, I usually call plays that allow me to blitz, or QB spy....letting me chase down the RB at will, or go over to help double team the TE that always seems to do well against me. Safety is a fun one, because if you can get your timing down, you can bait your opponent (even the computer at times) to throw into single coverage only to go over and double team, getting picks or swats. Yeah, I get burned on occasion, but my NCAA safeties get 5-7 picks a year though.

You CAN switch to a DB, but it takes practice. You better be looking at the way the WR is going and be getting to be heading in that direction when you switch. If you can time it to hit pass defense and make a quick cut in front of the WR, you can get picks or swats.....again, you'll get burned at times, but you can make a big play too. It's usually worth it, but if you switch to a DB, try to make sure you have played a safety deep just in case you miss it and the WR catches it in stride.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote