flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Congratulations! That's fantastic news!
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 12:25 PM   #53
Butter
Coordinator

Final statistics:
Avg. attendance: 7,509 (11th, 1st: Sheff. Wed. (23,493))
Goals scored/conceded: 85/66 (3rd/14th)

Average rating:
1. Kenny Lunt – Crewe (7.45)
19. Matt Jansen (7.20)
23. Matt Derbyshire (7.18)

Goals:
1. Paul Heffernan – Doncaster (37)
6t. Matt Derbyshire (23)
23t. Simon Hagman (14)

Assists:
1. Jon Paul McGovern – Sheff. Wed. (19)
7t. Matt Jansen (12)
9t. Matt Derbyshire (10)

Man of the Match awards:
1. Dean Windass – Bradford (7)
2t. Matt Jansen (6)
10t. Matt Derbyshire (5)

Summary by position:
{Note: Loaned players not included in players out section)

Goalkeeper
Markus Probst was our clear #1. He allowed 58 goals in 49 starts, with 18 clean sheets. Not the stellar record I like from my keepers, but he certainly did the job in the final. Mark Cousins was expected to compete for the #1 job this season, but those plans were put on hold after a couple of disasterous early season performances. He didn’t see the field after the fall, allowing 9 goals in 3 appearances. Morten Bredal-Thorsen came up from the reserves and also was able to perform horribly.

Players out: None
Players in: 23 year old Spaniard Ivan Cuellar (Atletico Madrid – B)

Outlook: Cuellar should come in and be able to lay claim to the #1 spot. But even he has question marks… ones which frankly don’t make me as confident as I should be in this position. At least now, though, I’ll have 3 decent keepers who can play… and Bredal-Thorsen is making good progress in training.

Defense
Our defense was weak this season. The only consistently top-notch performer we had was DC Malek Ait-Alia… and he paid the price for it, playing in all 46 of 49 league matches (including playoffs). Our next 2 best defenders were loaners, Lorenzo Davids from Feyenoord and Phil Cave from Newcastle… but even Cave had his shaky moments, scoring at least 1 own goal that I can remember. Firmin Sanou played well enough on the right, while David Van Den Broeck had a BAD stretch in the middle of the season that resulted in him being a rotational starter late in the season. Evander Sno was expected to solidify the center of our defense, but his youth resulted in him only playing 7 times after the New Year. Marcus Williams was a good backup on the left, his rating hurt by a couple of bad cup performances. Young Tommy Spurr was brought over in midseason, but had his problems as well, never really kicking it into gear despite a sterling pedigree. And Sean St. Ledger… well, he was so bad, he actually managed to average below a 6 in 14 overall appearances for the senior squad. He was demoted to the reserves in mid-season, as were Paul Carden and Dean Holden. To think, I actually turned down a $120k offer for St. Ledger 2 seasons ago.

Players out: Dean Holden, Paul Carden, Shane Huke (all reserves)
Players in: 22 year old Aime Lavie (Sochaux reserves)

Outlook: I can honestly say that if we can’t sign or loan in a couple of VERY GOOD defenders, then next season is going to be an absolute bloodbath. Lavie looks to be able to start at either left back or center back and should be able to fill the loss created by Lorenzo Davids departure following his season long loan… we need Tommy Spurr, Evander Sno, and David Van Den Broeck to step up and have breakout seasons, and hope that Sanou and Ait-Alia don’t start to decline too drastically. All I know is, it’s going to be a challenge to get consistently good play here next season unless we spend some cash.

Midfield
This is where we shined this season, as Matt Jansen was a rock at left wing this year. He played some striker and was successful there, but we didn’t have anyone who could man the wing as skillfully as he did. Di Canio played well at times on the right wing. Palmi Rafn Palmason didn’t create as much as I had hoped, but was still a very solid ball handler in the middle. Peter Gain saw a bit of a step down in production, but it is partially to be expected after our rise in competition. Rachid Tiberkanine struggled early on, but really produced towards the end of the season, posting a 7 average rating in his last 16 appearances, with 4 assists in his last 9 games. Loaner Peter Till was a massive disappointment, as was Martin Brittain. Floribert N’Galula was superb, though, in central midfield, and Antonio Barragan showed some flashes of brilliance on the right wing in between injury layoffs. Honore Kabongo proved he’s not much of a left winger, but more of a striker. Lee Whittington was our 3rd best midfield scorer, but was very streaky and prone to long disappearances. David Perisset started out well after his surprise promotion from the reserves, but went downhill and was sent back after a few more attempts.

Players out: Andre Boucaud (res.), Paolo Di Canio, Ryan Semple (res.)
Players in: 26 year old AM-LC Cherif Toure-Maman (Metz reserves), 32 year old AM-LC Khalilou Fadiga (Bolton reserves)

Outlook: We should be well set at midfield next season… my desire to move Matt Jansen to striker permanently necessitated the signing of 2 new left-wingers, both of whom should be outstanding. Palmason will hopefully be able to continue to grow at MC, as he is only 22. David Perisset will hopefully improve next season, and soon be able to join Palmason in the middle when Rachid Tiberkanine is unavailable. I fear Lee Whittington will be a bit out of his league at the next level, but I will give him a chance to succeed at right wing. However, I realize that is our biggest off-season need in the midfield: right wing. Aside from Whittington, 2 defenders are our next best players at this position, which is not a good place to be. Andrej Mlinaric will likely figure at MC some next season as well, as he has simply blossomed on the reserve team… and is only 17 years old. He will be played some on the senior level next season.

Striker
Matt Derbyshire was far and away our best striker this season, and it’ll be hard to replace him. However, Matt Jansen showed a knack for goal scoring during his brief stint at striker, and will be pressed there more next season. Paolo Di Canio was brilliant during our half-season run to the playoffs. Simon Hagman performed better than expected, frankly, and will be expected to contribute more next season. 20 year old Keith Barker was a massive disappointment, and was often left off the substitute list as the year went on. He didn’t score a single league goal in 15 appearances. I also expected more from Danny Reed, our other new young striker, but admittedly he was rawer than Barker, and didn’t get many chances to prove himself. Honore Kabongo struggled a good bit out there, but we’ll need him next season in order to stay afloat.

Players out: Paolo Di Canio, Danny Crow (res.), James Quinn (res.)
Players in: 28 year old Malcolm Christie (Middlesbrough reserves)

Outlook: I wish we could keep hold of Matt Derbyshire… but he is gone back to Blackburn Rovers. I’m kind of hoping that with Blackburn having been relegated that he’ll be part of some sort of fire sale, but realistically I expect that he’ll be playing against us next year at Ewood Park. Paolo Di Canio couldn’t be moved off retirement. But Malcolm Christie is the biggest signing possibly in the history of London Road, and should prove himself to be a vital cog in the club’s development next season. Jansen and Hagman will be counted on hugely to maintain their level of play at a higher level of competition. Meanwhile, we need a lot more from Keith Barker and Honore Kabongo next season in order to go anywhere. Young striker Florian Da Costa scored 23 goals in 40 reserve appearances, but is probably still a year or two off from being a senior contributor… and Danny Reed will probably be given another year or two before passing judgment on him. If we can convince a major reserve team’s striker to loan out to us, we’ll be thrilled, because frankly, I’m not sure if Christie is going to make the difference I had envisioned when I signed him.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:26 PM   #54
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho
Congratulations! That's fantastic news!

Thanks! I didn't think we could do it right around the middle of the season... but by mid-April, I believed. Now to avoid relegation...
Old 05-15-2006, 02:33 PM   #55
Chas in Cinti
High School Varsity

Don't waste too much time in the offseason... still reading!

Congrats,
Chas
Old 05-17-2006, 10:42 AM   #56
Butter
Coordinator

The bad part about having to win via the playoffs is that the team only gets about one month off.

I finish 2nd in Manager of the year voting. No Posh player is named to the Team of the Year.

June, 2007
Cash balance: $1,610,550

Looking at our finances, I see that gate receipts more than doubled, from $2.9M in 05-06 to $7.4M in 06-07. Also, season tix jumped from $236k to $597k, match day income went from $400k to $887k, and merchandising went from $180k to $297k. Meanwhile, our wage spending was $2.015M this year compared to $1.957M last season. All that equals a profit of over $2.5M for the season concluding June 1, 2007.

SHEFF UTD APPROACH O’SIXTY-NINE
The Blades have offered me a $240k per year contract for 3 seasons to take over for Neil Warnock. I reject the offer.

I entice last season’s loaner 20 year old DLC/DM Lorenzo Davids to sign a deal with the Posh. He’ll make $100k per season through 2009. An important signing for our defensive stability. Davids can also play in midfield when needed, and has blazing pace (I saw him make up about 10 yards on one player last season when both were chasing down a loose ball… he was way behind him, then just passed him and made the play within about 50 yards).

Matt Jansen is named Fans’ Player of the Year for the 2006/07 season.

We are awarded $1.2M for Championship TV rights for the 07/08 season.

The board offers me 4 different budget options:
Wage budget ----- Transfer budget
$3,100,000 ------ $925,000
$3,400,000 ------ $625,000
$3,800,000 ------ $275,000
$3,800,000 ------ $220,000

I am left to assume that there is some small difference between the two $3.8M options. Doesn’t matter, as I decide to go with option 2… that’ll give me almost $1M in wage room to work with, and a good sized transfer budget.

Both the fans and the board are very pleased with my performance as manager, and expect us to fight against relegation this season.

I spend a long time combing through mountains of players and attribute sheets. I settle on a few target men, and send out some offers.

We make our first signing of the summer period, penning 27 year old Artmedia defender Balazs Borbely to a 2 year contract worth a total of around $600k. Borbely is extremely strong technically and mentally… and maybe only lacks a bit in speed. But this Slovakian’s smarts and leadership should help make up for that.

Our friendly matches are all set:
7/7 – v. Southampton
7/13 – v. Newcastle
7/18 – v. Charlton
7/22 – v. Everton
7/27 – v. Celtic
8/1 – v. Liverpool Reserves
Then our league matches begin on August 4th.

We make our next HUGE signing, bringing in what I consider to be a world-class keeper. 25 year old Hakon Opdal will join the Posh from his Norwegian club team, Brann… and has some eye-popping attributes. He is not under a 12 in any goalkeeping attribute besides “eccentricity”, and is not under a 14 in most key ones. He also possesses a terrific sense of positioning and decision-making, and his physical attributes are positive as well… it looks like we have our stopper, folks. Only time will tell, but I am very pleased with this signing.

We also decide to add a couple of new coaches, boosting our coaching ranks to 6, and allowing us to have each coach become more specialized in their fields. In the process, we’ve been able to boost all of our training categories to 3 stars, except for ball control and set pieces. Plus, almost all of our coaches work well with youngsters, and we have a lot of youngsters.

July ‘07
Cash balance: $1,995,039

Our new signings arrive, but the fans note their unease at the signing of defender Aime Lavie, saying he could upset our chemistry. Odd, considering I do not note any personality problems with him.

After the release of our out of contract players, our wage budget settles at a nice $2.886M, which is over $500k under budget.

I start scouring for players to loan in as July hits… it should be a bit easier to bring the youngsters in, since we’re a more important club in the grand scheme of English football now.

July 7, Friendly #1 v. Southampton
Southampton split our central defense like butter early on, and score after just 9 minutes. A long stretch goes by without much excitement, but in the 79th minute Honore Kabongo and Matt Jansen hook up on a nice move, which Jansen finishes to give us the leveller.
Draw, 1-1

Considering our absolutely dreadful pre-season from last year, this is definitely a step up.

We make another transfer move, bringing in 21 year old Bulgarian MRC Georgi Sarmov in for a $40k fee + 20% of his next fee to his Bulgarian club team. Sarmov improves our right side of midfield immediately. He has terrific physical attributes, and is noted as liking to “shoot from distance” and “shoot with power”, a dynamic that our offense lacks. He is a good passer and crosser, and makes good decisions. He signs a $220k per season contract with us through 2010.

Our first loaner joins the club, as it’s 20 year old D/M-R Antonio Barragan agreeing to his 3rd loan stint at London Road from Liverpool. He had injury problems last season, but played well when he was in there… he only costs us about $80k for a full season’s loan.

July 13, Friendly #2 v. Newcastle
Much like our last match, the visitors get on the board in the 9th minute. We get it back in the 35th minute, as Barragan’s early cross finds Hagman, who dives onto it and heads it past the Magpie keeper. Newcastle get back in the lead in the 79th, as Albert Luque finds the net after Balazs Borbely was robbed in midfield. Still in all, not a bad performance, especially by keeper Ivan Cuellar, who made 3 wonderful saves.
Loss, 2-1

July 18, Friendly #3 v. Charlton Athletic
The Addicks score after just 4 minutes in this one. Then, just after halftime they bury a long range shot to go ahead 2-0, and 6 minutes later it’s 3-0 as Mark Cousins falls apart in the 2nd half after an impressive first half. No one performed particularly well in this one.
Loss, 3-0

I notice that Matt Jansen is attracting some attention from Wigan Athletic… he has a minimum fee release clause of $4.5 million, so that is a bit worrying.

July 22, Friendly #4 v. Everton
Everton get on the board in first half stoppage time, an improvement for us. We level the match, as Danny Reed finally shows me something, getting on the end of a Matt Jansen cross and heading it in. In the 64th, David Perisset with a great through ball for Jansen, and he slots it home to put us ahead 2-1. Just 3 minutes later, Davids with a great long ball for Jansen… he draws the keeper, then plays the ball low to the far post where Georgi Sarmov has an easy finish and puts us up 3-1. Then just 5 minutes from time, it’s Jansen with another assist, this time heading down for Reed again, and he buries a low shot inside the left post to give us the 4-1 lead. The Toffees get one back with 2 minutes left, then close to within 4-3 in the 2nd extra minute. Matt Jansen was in mid-season form, netting a goal and assisting on the other 3.
Win, 4-3

I successfully scare off Wigan by letting them know that we want $5.5M for Matt Jansen. His clause kicks in at $4.5M, but they don’t know that. They decide against following up their inquiry for him after we let them know how much we value him.

July 27, Friendly #5 v. Celtic
A boring first half sends the teams into the locker room at 0-0. Finally, in the 75th minute we score, as Amie Lavie’s cross to the near post finds Cherif Toure-Maman, who heads it in from 8 yards. Then in the 84th, Mlinaric with a nice pass to Kabongo, who half-volleys it in from 12 yards for a 2-0 lead… and that’s how it ends.
Win, 2-0

Andrej Mlinaric and Georgi Sarmov played exceedingly well in that last match. Opdal also had a fine game in goal. Our team is looking fairly formidable as the pre-season moves along. Our last 2 matches have been very impressive.

Our 2nd loaner comes to London Road, as this time it’s 22 year old Swedish AMR Jonatan Berg joining the Posh for a 5 month loan from Aston Villa’s reserve squad.

One more friendly, then the season is set to begin.

August ‘07
Cash balance: $2,304,059

The problem I have now, is I almost have too many players. My depth chart is crazy.... I'll review it just prior to our first Championship match.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:07 PM   #57
Butter
Coordinator

Aug. 1, Friendly #6 v. Liverpool Reserves
The Reds get on the board in the 38th minute. And that’s about it. We barely threaten in our final tune-up match… but to be fair, I played almost all youngsters in this one, saving the first-teamers for our season opener in 4 days’ time.
Loss, 1-0

Our first match of the season was moved a couple of weeks ago to Sunday, to allow for feature TV coverage. We’ll face Nottingham Forest at London Road in our first Championship match since our relegation following the 1993/94 season.

The League Cup First Round Draw is held, and we draw Brighton on the road… that match will be on Aug. 22.

We just miss out on signing possibly the finest young goalkeeper I’ve ever seen… 21 year old Chris Howarth agrees to join Birmingham from Blackburn Rovers… after I had met all his needs and agreed to the $200k transfer fee to Rovers. I can only assume he thinks he’s going to play at Birmingham. He has the skill to do it, but I see him riding the bench. This move would’ve caused a huge log-jam at GK for me, but he looked like he was more than worth it, with several 20 ratings that I saw… and that was with the “fog of war” on… so I was willing to take the risk that his hidden attributes were 1’s just based on what I had seen. Drat.

We’re able to convince another Liverpudlian to join us, as 19 year old Austrian forward Besian Idrizaj joins us on a season long loan from Anfield. Idrizaj displays keen finishing skill, and a nose for the ball… he is not as fast as Hagman, but should prove a bit more skilled around the box than Hagman is, who tends to depend on his speed a bit too much.

Our final roster move prior to the season opener is bringing in another midfielder… this time it’s 21 year old Man Utd. Reserve Chris Eagles agreeing to join us for a 5 month loan. Eagles is a spectacular wing player, but can be outmuscled for the ball. When we decide to set up our 4-2-3-1 formation, he’ll be in there at AMR, I imagine.

Depth chart
This list is inclusive of all senior squad players, but does not include every possible player at every possible position… just the most likely combos.

GK: Hakon Opdal, Ivan Cuellar, Markus Probst
DL: Aime Lavie, Lorenzo Davids, Tommy Spurr
DC: Balazs Borbely, Malek Ait-Alia, Evander Sno, Lavie, Spurr, David Van Den Broeck
DR: Firmin Sanou, Van Den Broeck, Ait-Alia
ML: Cherif Toure-Maman, Khalilou Fadiga, Andrej Mlinaric, Honore Kabongo
MC: Palmi Rafn Palmason, Rachid Tiberkanine, Georgi Sarmov, Khalilou Fadiga, Andrej Mlinaric
MR: Antonio Barragan, Chris Eagles, Jonatan Berg, Georgi Sarmov
ST: Matt Jansen, Malcolm Christie, Simon Hagman, Besian Idrizaj, Honore Kabongo, Keith Barker

Malcolm Christie and Georgi Sarmov start the season injured.

Aug. 5, Match 1 v. Nottingham Forest
As we start the season, I notice I have 10 foreigners in the starting lineup. Only Matt Jansen is English among my starting XI. Forest get on the board first, as they score from a 15 yard shot that deflects in off Amie Lavie. We go up a man in the 40th minute, as Borbely gets a vicious elbow in the face, getting a Forest striker sent straight to the showers. We shift to a 4-2-3-1 after halftime to apply some pressure to Forest. Palmason hits the post with a long range shot in the 69th minute. We fail to put much pressure on the Forest goal, and then in the 87th minute, Lorenzo Davids gives up a PK after a push in the box… Forest convert it, and we’re sunk. Not a great start to the season here.
Loss, 2-0, begin in 21st

Promotion odds
Leeds – 7:4
Blackburn, Ipswich – 2:1
Coventry, WBA – 3:1
Wigan – 6:1
Peterborough Utd. – 40:1

Apparently, my price is in line with what a relegation candidate’s would be at the start of the season.

Aug. 7, Match 2 @ #13 Millwall
A fairly open first half, but both keepers are able to keep things scoreless at halftime. Hakon Opdal spends the entire second half bailing out some lazy defense, but finally in the 80th minute the Lions are able to stuff one in past our Norwegian keeper. We push several players forward late, but it amounts to nothing as we lose and fail to score yet again.
Loss, 1-0, drop to 22nd

Good to know that league favorite Leeds is also struggling early, as they’ve lost 2 decisions by a combined 5-0 score.

So, my team that I expected to be improved in all areas early on, looks like they’ve approved in no areas at all.

We make another loan in, as we’re threatening to become Liverpool East… this time it’s 19 year old D/DM Miki Roque joining us on a 3 month loan. Roque will probably be pressed to play in central midfield.

Aug. 11, Match 3 v. #2 Wigan
We settle on our 4-2-3-1 attacking scheme for this home match against Wigan. Wigan go ahead on a completely unmarked header from 10 yards off a corner kick in the 9th minute. Wigan score again on another set piece in the 29th, this time a free kick from near the end line on the left, and it’s headed in. We shuffle some players around up front after the break to try and kick start our offense. In the 57th it pays off, as Palmason buries a 20 yard free kick that was earned by Matt Jansen’s run. Our first goal of the season cuts the deficit in half. We don’t get much of a sniff the rest of the match though, and we’ve now lost 3 to start the season.
Loss, 2-1, drop to 23rd

Only Ipswich Town’s -6 GD is holding us up from being dead last. We’re the only two teams to not have at least gotten a point from 3 matches yet.

Not sure what to do with the lads just yet… perhaps I need to take a closer look at our tactics. Maybe a switch to the diamond is in order. Hate to do that, especially considering that would leave a couple of true MC’s that we have essentially without a position. All things considered, we’re really not playing THAT BADLY. The first match, we allowed a goal off a deflection, then a PK was given for their 2nd. In match #2, Opdal had a bit of a lapse allowing in a goal after fighting off several shots. Then in our last match, 2 set pieces were our undoing, but we did finally prove that we could score… also off a set piece. Just need some confidence… our next opponents look like a good bet to give us some.

Aug. 18, Match 4 @ #9 Doncaster
Sticking with the 4-2-3-1 today. And we get on the board early, as Hagman makes a steal in midfield in the 4th minute, then plays a great ball to Kabongo down the middle… Kabongo attacks the goal, dekes the keeper and slots it home to his left. Opdal with an absolutely masterful save to deny what looked like a tap-in in the 12th minute. Toure-Maman has a free kick just barely tipped aside in the 19th minute. In the 43rd minute, Hagman gets a breakaway off a Rovers free kick… he makes a couple of moves, but has his shot stopped… Roque with a nice run to get to the rebound first and put it away! 2-0 Posh at halftime. We get the clincher in the 67th, as a Chris Eagles cross to a Hagman header is tipped away by the keeper… but not far enough, as Cherif Toure-Maman is there on the back post to finish it. 7 minutes later, it’s Toure-Maman winning a header in midfield… then Hagman beats his marker, and curls a powerful 15 yard shot around the keeper to put us up 4-0. Hagman with 3 assists in earning his perfect 10 in this match.
Win, 4-0, up to 21st

We drag ourselves out of the relegation zone, and are just one win away from the top half of the table. I’m impressed that of our 5 goals, 5 different players have scored them.

Aug. 22, League Cup First Round @ Brighton (#24 in League One)
Ivan Cuellar picking up his first start in goal in this one. Brighton score in the 33rd, as Rachid Tiberkanine suffers a brain cramp at 35 yards… and Cuellar is caught WAY out, allowing a 35 yard goal. Not surprisingly, we’re extremely flat and fail to mount a serious charge on the Gulls goal.
Loss, 1-0, out of League Cup

3 years in a row we’ve lost our first League Cup game.

Aug. 25, Match 5 v. #11 Blackburn
Malcolm Christie getting his first start in our 4-2-3-1 today. A tight match through the first 45 minutes, but our defense is playing stellar. We sub in Hagman for Christie midway through the 2nd half, but it makes no difference. Neither team seemed dangerous today.
Draw, 0-0, drop to 22nd

One more match in August, then we can put all this crappy performance behind us.

Seems like the team is just not comfortable with each other. I have brought in a LOT of new players, but aside from the one match against Doncaster, we’ve looked completely out of sorts…. Unable to string passes together, not able to spot the open man, and thoroughly unable to hit the back of the net. I expected this team to be an offensive power and to struggle defensively… so far, it’s been the exact opposite.

Aug. 27, Match 6 @ #20 Derby County
Hagman breaks free on a counter-attack… he plays a nice one-two with Kabongo, and finishes strong past the keeper! 1-0, Posh after 32 minutes. 3 minutes later, it’s Hagman again, this time he draws 2 defenders and centers to Idrizaj, who successfully chips the keeper from 20 yards for our 2nd goal! Hagman picks up a knock at halftime. Borbely is whistled for a foul in the box in the 74th minute, and the Rams pick up their first goal of the match on the ensuing PK. We dominate the late part of the match, and take a deserved win. Andrej Mlinaric continues to impress, as the young (just turned) 18 year old was dominant in midfield late.
Win, 2-1, up to 15th

After a pretty disasterous start, we’ve climbed to mid-table following 3 consecutive decent-to-great league performances. And for the first time in my tenure, we’re not scrambling to bring in more players at the transfer deadline. In fact, we’re probably a little too heavy with players right now.

We start getting multiple unsolicited offers for Simon Hagman, who has opened the season with 2 goals and 4 assists in the opening month… and he only played in 4 of the 6 matches. I turn down all of the offers, which are quite undervaluing his worth. Unfortunately, he is also demanding a salary in line with those high expectations… $350k per season + a $300k signing bonus. He currently makes $20k per season. I’m going to see how things go, and possibly try and re-sign him come December.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:01 PM   #58
dixieflatline
High School Varsity

Butter,

Since the team probably doesn't look like one that will be fighting for promotion this year I was wondering why you didn't put more effort into the League cup?
dixieflatline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 03:15 PM   #59
Butter
Coordinator

I'll fight for the FA Cup, but yeah I kinda tanked the League Cup. It's just never been a prestigious competition in my mind. It is maybe a notch above the Vans Trophy, but about 3 steps below the FA Cup, in my mind. Plus, despite the slow start, I think this team can fight for a playoff spot.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:30 PM   #60
Butter
Coordinator

September ‘07
Cash balance: $2,582,955

Surprisingly, youngster Andrej Mlinaric finishes second in Player of the Month voting. He did average a 7.67 over 3 starts, but didn’t score or register an assist. Meanwhile, loaner Miki Roque wins the Young Player of the Month award.

Sept. 8, Match 7 v. #24 Leicester
The Foxes come out looking determined, and they score first off a cross and header in the 10th minute. They are able to hold that lead through halftime and throughout the 2nd half. They almost make it all the way home, but in the 84th, we get a free kick straight on at the edge of the box… Chris Eagles sets up for it, and he strikes it into the top right corner! Neither team can manage anything else, and we’ll take the single point.
Draw, 1-1, drop to 18th

Sept. 11, Match 8 @ #11 Sheffield United
Malcolm Christie nearly scores his first Posh goal just 30 seconds in… but his hard 15 yard strike is ruled out for offsides. Again, a bad series of bounces leads to the first opposition goal, as a clearance comes off Sno, and finds a wide open striker from 8 yards out, giving the Blades a 1-0 lead at minute 34. After a stern talking-to at halftime, we come out looking crisp. In the 58th, Jansen finds himself in space… he passes to Idrizaj, who neatly centers for Christie, who has an open goal to shoot at and buries it. Then, just 2 minutes later, Chris Eagles finds Christie in space again, and he is able to hold off a defender and beat the keeper to the far post! 2-1, Posh. We suffer through nearly 6 minutes of stoppage time, but come out with the win! Malcolm Christie is the man of the match here, coming through in style.
Win, 2-1, up to 10th place

The signing of Khalilou Fadiga has been star-crossed so far… he has had the flu, then after coming back from that he tears a groin muscle and will miss 1-2 months of action. Luckily, he is only signed for this season.

Sept. 15, Match 9 v. #2 Stoke
We keep putting Simon Hagman out there, despite him really being our 3rd choice striker… his form screams for him to be in the lineup. And in the 8th minute, he shows why, winning a tough header on a long free kick from Opdal… heading it down to Eagles, who passes to Toure-Maman, who finds Hagman splitting the 2 central defenders and slotting it home past the keeper for a 1-0 Posh lead. Hagman is on fire. In the 31st, it’s that man again… this time Eagles cross to the near post finds Hagman, who heads it in at point blank range. Just 2 minutes later, it’s Hagman again… he beats his man and is in clean on the keeper… his shot is stopped, but it bobbles right back to him, and he puts it in off the post! A 33 minute hat-trick for Simon Hagman. And it doesn’t stop there… Eagles gets free again in the 44th… he again crosses for Hagman, who one touches it into the goal for his 4th of the half. In the 52nd, guess who? Yep, Simon Hagman fires in a shot from a Kabongo chip… and he scores from 15 yards. Predictably, Stoke start chopping at Hagman, and pick up a couple of cards taking him down. Stoke just lay back and take their beating. Hagman and Eagles both earn 10’s in this one.
Win, 5-0, up to 9th place – 1 point from 6th, 5 pts. behind 1st place Wigan
Old 05-17-2006, 03:49 PM   #61
Izulde
Head Coach

Nice recent run of form.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 09:02 AM   #62
Butter
Coordinator

I'm struggling with what to do about Hagman, and probably figure to wait until December to re-sign him, since his contract is up at season's end. But even so, I fear a drop in performance, even despite Hagman's superior ball handling abilities... what do you think?

Here are Hagman's attributes... and a comparison with our recently signed "star" striker, Malcolm Christie:

---
Old 05-18-2006, 10:50 AM   #63
Butter
Coordinator

Sept. 22, Match 10 v. #10 Luton
With all the depth we have, it is actually quite difficult to determine who will play from one game to the next. Except for one position: striker. Hagman is coming off a 5 goal match, and will play up front until he cools off. Opdal with a couple of nice saves through the first quarter hour. Our defensive and midfield speed is really making a difference in how well we defend this season. Luton just continue to pile on the pressure, and finally in the 35th Opdal is unable to smother a shot, and the Hatters knock in the rebound. Hagman with a couple of half-chances early in the 2nd half, but his touch is off. Christie on for him in the 74th, and we switch to a 3-3-3-1. We push even farther forward, and pay for it in the 1st extra minute, as Luton score a 2nd to put the game out of reach.
Loss, 2-0, drop to 11th, 3 pts. out of 6th

A dreadful performance by everybody involved. Everyone rated a 6, except for DC Balazs Borbely, who stooped to a 5.

Horrible injury news in mid-week training, as defender Lorenzo Davids pulls up lame in a training session… and he’s torn his hamstring. He’ll miss 2-3 months. Marcus Williams has been tearing it up on the reserve team, so I think he will get a shot to come back and play some left back.

Sept. 25, Match 11 @ #18 Norwich
We are dominated in the first half by the Canaries, but manage to hold it nil-nil through the break. Norwich come out of the locker rooms fired up, and score in the 47th minute after some careless defending by Tommy Spurr. Pretty much the opposition defense is now taking the tactic of chopping down Hagman whenever he gets the ball. The whistle goes after full time, as we make one decent effort at goal, but it’s not good enough.
Loss, 1-0, drop to 13th

Another embarrassing game, and it must be time to switch back to the ol’ 4-4-2 counter-attack. Seems as though our tactics need to be switched every so often, or else we start going through these down streaks. Either that, or it has something to do with my locker room talks. When we get on a good run, I try to tell the players “Fantastic” every so often… but usually one of the times I tell them how well they’re doing, they come out next game and completely tank. Also, Hakon Opdal has been playing exceptionally poorly lately, his form turning to all 6’s in the past few matches.

Matt Jansen hurt his elbow fairly seriously in that last match, and will miss 2-3 weeks of action. Jansen has been fairly bad so far this season, which makes me wish maybe I should’ve sold him back when his stock was sky-high, and I had an offer.

Sept. 29, Match 12 @ #23 Sunderland
We switch back to a counter-attacking 4-4-2 for this match at struggling Sunderland. Neither team puts up much of an effort in the first half, again ending scoreless. We’re slipping back into the patterns of our first few games this year when we couldn’t score. The Black Cats have the better of play throughout the 2nd half, but we manage to hold on and take a point from this one.
Draw, 0-0, drop to 15th

A mediocre end to a mediocre month. Up and down, much like August was. At times it seems like we can contend, at others it seems like we’re a bottom feeder who has to rely on defense to earn points and make up for the complete and utter lack of offense.

We end the month 16th, following a crazy 2-2-2 outing. Our +4 GD and goals allowed of less than 1 per match screams a team that should be contending… but we’re wallowing mid-table right now with our inconsistency.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:04 AM   #64
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Try the 4-3-1-2 Counter..
Old 05-18-2006, 02:42 PM   #65
Butter
Coordinator

Thanks for the suggestion... but I like the 2 formations I'm set up with right now. I think we're starting to get the hang of them too...
Old 05-18-2006, 02:44 PM   #66
Butter
Coordinator

October ‘07
Cash balance: $2,426,600

We open the month with a LONG layoff thanks to international action taking many of our players out of town. We begin play after 21 days off, finding ourselves in 19th place, but with 2 games in hand on the competition.

Oct. 20, Match 13 v. #15 Reading
We get off to a flying start, as in the 6th minute. Eagles breaks free down the right, then crosses low for Toure-Maman, who scores past the diving keeper. We keep hold of the match, and get a 2nd in the 40th minute, as Eagles flick on to Hagman finds him just onside… Hagman with a long run, then he gets around the keeper and scores to make it 2-0. Reading get one back in the 55th, as Opdal misses a punch and allows the header into the unprotected goal. Hagman puts it beyond doubt in the 71st, though, as he gets the ball just to the right of the box, then sends a magnificent tight cross to the far post, where Honore Kabongo is waiting… and he heads it into the back of the net. Balazs Borbely finally shows some of the skill I paid for over the summer, rating a 9 and earning man of the match honors for winning 17/18 headers, and making 14 pass interceptions.[/b]
Win, 3-1, up to 16th

Former EPL player Andy Cole is named new head coach at Tranmere.

Oct. 24, Match 14 v. #10 QPR
After a scrum in front of the box, Matt Jansen collects the ball and shoots early and low past the keeper and scores! Jansen puts us up 1-0 in the 16th minute with his first goal of the year. QPR get it back 5 minutes later though, as another bouncy ball winds up going in off the post. We head back into the lead off a corner kick in the 40th, as Kabongo’s corner finds Sarmov in the middle of the area… the keeper turns it away, but Hagman is there to score the rebound! And 2 minutes later, we strike again, this time Hagman the architect, as he passes low to Jansen, who hits it forward 10 yards for Eagles… Eagles runs onto it and powers a low shot in past the keeper to make it 3-1. QPR gets another goal in the 62nd, as Borbely leaves his man to attack the ball only to see the pass played in behind him, leading to an easy low shot past Opdal. And QPR get level in the 80th, as a wide open cross finds a wide open striker at the back post… and he heads it in. Both Sanou and Lavie to blame on that one. Tough lead to blow, as we take a single point from the Rangers.
Draw, 3-3, up to 15th

Oct. 27, Match 15 @ #2 Cardiff
Back to the 4-4-2 counter-attacking for this one. Hagman has a seat in favor of Kabongo and Christie up front today. Cardiff have yielded just 10 goals in 15 matches. Just before halftime, they yield their 11th, as we strike on a counter… Sarmov knocks a great ball ahead of Christie, who dribbles to the edge of the box then successfully chips the keeper to put us ahead in the 45th minute. Opdal picks up a minor injury midway through the 2nd half… Cuellar comes on for him. We back into a 4-5-1 with 20 minutes left, trying to cling to our sad goal advantage. Cuellar with two outstanding saves in injury time, as he stops a point blank header than keeps in front of it and stops the rebound attempt as well. We kill the clock and take the points! Balazs Borbely continues his Jekyll & Hyde season, winning another MoM in central defense.
Win, 1-0, up to 12th, 4 pts. out of 6th

I think we’re going to try out the ol’ attacking tactics at home/counter-attacking tactics on the road style for a bit and see where that gets us.

Danny Reed is setting our reserve team on fire… he has 16 goals in 15 appearances, and is averaging an 8 rating… our reserve team is solid, finally growing into respectability after a couple of very lean seasons. They’re at 10-1-1, and lying first in the Group 4 Reserves table.

Oct. 30, Match 16 @ #16 Leeds
Our team’s superior depth and conditioning should help show in this match, as Leeds have several tired looking bodies, while all of our starters begin the match at 95% stamina or better. In the 6th minute, some sloppy passing by Leeds is exposed, as Jansen sticks a toe in on a backpass to the keeper… the ball bounces free, and Hagman hits it from 25 yards at an open net to give us the lead. Hagman’s 10th of the year already. 2 minutes later, it’s Chris Eagles beating his man down the right, then sending in an early ball to the near post, where Matt Jansen heads it in to give us a 2-0 lead after just 8 minutes. Just 5 minutes later, Jansen with a great ball ahead of Hagman, he controls it, gets past 2 men, and slots it past the keeper for a 3-0 lead. The domination continues, as Hagman crosses this time for Jansen, and his header deflects in past a defender for a 4-0 lead in the 35th. Leeds pull one back on a corner kick in the 39th minute. Meanwhile, Simon Hagman scores again, after a great ball by Eagles… Hagman’s 2nd 3-goal-in-1-half performance this season. We take a 5-1 lead into the locker room. Leeds put in another in the 57th, off a free kick and volley in at the near post. In the 66th minute, Spurr with a great long ball that Jansen latches onto… he gets around the keeper, and scores it. Jansen with his hat-trick. Great timing on that run, and just a smart ball by Spurr. The scoring ends there, but not before Matt Jansen awakens… earning a 10 alongside Hagman’s 10.
Win, 6-2, up to 10th – 4 pts. behind 6th place Coventry

Appears we’re back on track, as we close out an undefeated October at 3-1-0. Simon Hagman continues to be the most exciting player in the league… he’s hit 12 goals already.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:24 PM   #67
Butter
Coordinator

November ‘07
Cash balance: $2,210,782

Balazs Borbely is named Player of the Month, thanks to his 8.25 average rating in 4 appearances, including 2 MoM honors. Chris Eagles is voted 2nd in the Young Player of the Month voting.

Nov. 3, Match 17 v. #8 Hull
Back to the 4-2-3-1 for our home game… Hull have a -2 goal difference… so beats me how they’ve managed to worm up to 8th. Our +11 GD is almost misleading though considering that we’ve had 3 HUGE blowout wins to account for most of that difference. Out of nothing, we create a goal… a Hull free kick from the edge of the box is cleared long by Malek Ait-Alia… and Hagman outruns two Tiger defenders for the ball. He latches onto it, then chips the keeper from 20 yards and scores! 1-0, Posh at 31 minutes. In the 62nd minute, Jonatan Berg in a rare start crosses for Matt Jansen, who heads it in for his 5th of the season. 3 minutes later, it’s Berg again, this time playing Hagman onside… Hagman with another great placed shot beats the keeper and gives us a 3-0 lead… and Opdal earns a rare 8 in goal, as we keep the shutout.
Win, 3-0, up to 8th – 2 pts. behind 6th place Ipswich, 9 behind 1st place Wigan

One of our initial loaners is preparing to leave the Posh. D/DM Miki Roque’s 3 month loan is coming to an end, and Liverpool are refusing to let him stay over any longer. Roque had a fantastic stretch in September there, but faded a bit in October… he’ll finish his loan with an average rating of 6.83 in 12 appearances, with 1 goal and 1 assist.

Southampton sack George Burley, as they find themselves 19th in the EPL… with an atrocious -20 goal difference after just 12 matches. They’ve scored 6 and allowed 26. Far and away the worst GD in the EPL, but they’re still well within striking distance to get into the top 10 if they can turn it around. Former German 2nd division manager of Mainz Jurgen Klopp is hired on at St. Mary’s.

I notice that Blackburn and WBA have taken notice of our young midfielder Andrej Mlinaric… and Southampton have now joined the list of those interested in Simon Hagman.

Nov. 7, Match 18 @ #21 Plymouth
We keep our attacking tactics up for this road league match against a weak defensive opponent. We start strong, as we take the opening kickoff, feed it to Toure-Maman on the left… he crosses for Jansen, who puts it away. A goal in 17 seconds, and we lead 1-0. In the 22nd, Simon Hagman does it again… Plymouth tries to launch a counter, but a messy pass forward winds up going backward right to Hagman, who jinks around the keeper and buries his 15th of the season. Hagman nearly nets his 16th just moments later, but he is ruled offside. Just minutes before halftime, Plymouth Argyle get one back, as Lavie’s clearance is played back into the six, where an Argyle attacker tucks it away past Opdal. During 1st half stoppage time, Mlinaric passes forward to Jansen… he turns and shoots from the top of the arc and bends it around the outstretched keeper for a 3-1 halftime lead. Mlinaric with his first assist of the season. Just after halftime, Hagman scores again, this time it’s Palmason setting him up for one of his trademark 20 yard chip shots. Plymouth nearly make it 4-2 in the 66th, but they’re ruled offside on the goal. Powerful move for Plymouth in the 81st, as a swift low cross finds the foot of a striker, and it’s 4-2. Plymouth hit the post on a shot just 2 minutes later, but that seemed to wake our defense up as we hold on for the win.
Win, 4-2, up to 4th place – 3 pts. behind 2nd place Cardiff

We finally complete our games in hand on the field, and sit level with everyone on 18 matches played… and our winning streak finds us breathing down the leaders’ necks. Wigan at 37 points, Cardiff at 34, Coventry at 32, and us, WBA, and Blackburn on 31. We hold the best GD in the league, at +16.

Malcolm Christie almost predictably complains about not being a first team regular. What can I tell him? When you’ve got a guy scoring over 1 goal a game, you gotta play him. And most of the time, we’re running a one striker formation, which has left Christie in the cold. I tell him he will get his chance in the coming weeks.

We get another break, as more international games are played during mid-November, giving us some time off.

Nov. 17, Match 19 @ #3 Coventry
We fall back to the 4-4-2 counter today, inserting Christie and Hagman as strike partners. The Sky Blues waste no time getting on the board, scoring off a rebound of a 15 yard shot in the 2nd minute. We look completely lost in this one, as Coventry score a nice bending 25 yard shot in the 23rd. I tell the team to stop looking so clueless at halftime… and it seems to help. Christie has a breakaway slide tackled from him at 15 yards… but finally Georgi Sarmov’s long range shots come into play, as he gathers up the loose ball and buries a wicked 25 yarder to halve the Coventry lead. Aime Lavie picks up his 2nd yellow in the 77th, effectively ending our comeback.
Loss, 2-1, drop to 5th

Well, our run of wins had to end sometime… Coventry played a great defensive game though, making at least 2 last ditch tackles on breakaways, and limiting our crosses effectively. Christie didn’t do much to make me think he should be our #1 striker.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:59 PM   #68
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

Looking at both stats and performances, you have to keep Hagman. Pay him whatever he wants and tell Christie to shut up whilst he sits. Hagman is better where it counts for a striker, he's quicker, has better technique, a better first touch, is more creative and flairy, and they are roughly level on finishing.
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 02:30 AM   #69
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

I'd keep Hagman. At 23, this kid is only going to get better. Although Christie seems like a better "defensive FC", Hagman is pure offense personified, speed skill and technique... he's got it. Christie would probably be a nice fit as a 3rd wheel among your FC's, in the rotation.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:38 AM   #70
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Dola.

I think it's good that you're sticking to your tactics. It helps if you manage to create a couple or so for Home and Away games (mentally, the home teams have an edge due to the crowd, and it leads to more confident attacks. Which is why I play offensively during home and defensively during away)

I have my own 4-1-2-1-2 (a modified 4-4-2 diamond) for my home games and a near-diamond lokoing 4-4-2 diamond for away games employed.

For home my DM and AMC are crucial in controlling the midfield when trying to press the attack at an opponent. My two wingers are farrowed (forward arrow, full) and my FC's are set with one being on pure attack mode, and the other one challenging opposing defenders from volleying shots towards their forwards.

For away games, I have my wingers with no arrows, the FC's sarrowed (side arrowed) and one of the MC farrowed to the AMC spot, and the other MC barrowed to the DM spot... to ensure i still maintain control of the midfield and counter-attack from the wings without compromising position or defense.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:32 AM   #71
Butter
Coordinator

Thanks for the feedback... I think I'm going to wait another couple of weeks, then try to offer Hagman. I've got the money to keep him, so I might as well do it and see where he takes us.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:46 AM   #72
Butter
Coordinator

We hope to follow up our first loss in 8 league matches with another strong match at home. Blackburn Rovers win on Sunday drops us to 6th place.

I note that a couple of our later season matches have been picked for TV coverage, including our return matchup against Coventry. That should be a fun one. Hopefully at that stage of the season (March), it will have some meaning as well.

Nov. 24, Match 20 v. #17 Sheffield Wednesday
I give Ivan Cuellar the start in goal today. Again, we open with the 4-2-3-1 at home. Cuellar does well in the 4th minute to keep an own goal out. Both teams are showing some nice build-up, but we get on the board first… Eagles 35th minute free kick from the right is driven in low towards the spot… Jansen controls it, turns, shoots, and scores! Nice strike from Jansen, and we take a 1-0 lead into the break. We strike again shortly after halftime, as Hagman chases down a long ball and controls it near the end line… he crosses back to the center where the keeper gets a finger on it, but can’t keep Jansen from stuffing it home! 2-0. The Owls pick up a goal in the 82nd, after a sloppy series of midfield possession gives them a couple of chances at crossing to the middle. Luckily, Cuellar helps us hold on for the win.
Win, 2-1, up to 5th – 3 pts. behind 2nd place Blackburn, 7 behind 1st place Wigan

Derby County sack their manager, as they languish near the bottom of the table. Meanwhile, Cardiff miss a chance to jump us into 6th by losing the featured Sunday match to 22nd place Plymouth 1-0.

We finish November strong, another good month that finds us finishing at 3-0-1 and jumping into the playoff places.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:26 PM   #73
Butter
Coordinator

December ‘07
Cash balance: $2,112,240

A bunch of our players are going to be out of contract at season’s end, so we start to work on contract negotiations with those we wish to keep. Those not being kept include:

AM Khalilou Fadiga
D/M Firmin Sanou
M Peter Gain
D Sean St. Ledger
GK Markus Probst

We offer contracts to some others, but note that midfielder Palmi Rafn Palmason is refusing to negotiate with us at this time… looks like he’s going to test the market.

Dec. 1, Match 21 @ #8 Watford
Start Christie and loaner Besian Idrizaj up front to give Hagman a day off. But he is on the sub list if needed. A poor clearance by Barragan falls right to a Watford attacker, and they score from 15 yards in the 20th minute. In the 45th, Watford score again, as we’re completely unable to keep in front of the ball. Just after halftime, we get one back, as a nice string of passes ends with Palmason finding Idrizaj, and he buries it from inside 8 yards. We bring Kabongo and Hagman on late and try to run a 3-4-3 the last few minutes to get the equalizer, but it doesn’t amount to anything.
Loss, 2-1, drop to 7th, 1 pt. out of 6th

Everton offers us a promising looking 16 year old AM, a 30% of next sale, and a friendly in exchange for Simon Hagman. We turn down the offer. Southampton, Middlesbrough, and Wolves make similar offers of a player + % of next sale for Hagman. I turn them down.

The Third Round FA Cup Draw is held, and we’ll travel to The Den to face Millwall on January 5th, 2008.

Dec. 8, Match 22 v. #8 Ipswich
Ipswich control play early, but in the 15th, Jansen steals a pass in midfield, and has acres of green in front of him… he charges into the box, and the Ipswich defender brings him down… it’s a penalty and a red card! Jansen to take the spot kick himself… and he scores! Goal number 10 for Jansen puts us in front. In the 26th minute, Kabongo tries to skip past his man on the left side of the box… he skins him, but is caught from behind… another penalty! This time, it’s Firmin Sanou to take it… and he scores. 2-0 Posh on 2 PK’s. In the 82nd, Georgi Sarmov curls in a 25 yarder, and gives us a 3-0 lead. But the match isn’t over unless Simon Hagman scores, and in the 90th he makes a steal, gets around one defender, holds off another, and chips the keeper from 20 yards for our 4th goal of the day.
Win, 4-0, up to 6th place – 2 pts. behind 2nd place Blackburn

The usual suspects top the table this season, as it’s Wigan in first, then Blackburn, West Brom., Norwich, Coventry, and us. The top 4 have all been in and out of the Premiership in the last few seasons. It’s going to be VERY tough for us to keep up with them, considering they all have fringe EPL talent. I’d like to think that we do as well, but realistically we must stay injury free and playing very well to maintain our top 6 position. A couple of slips will find us in 9th before you know it.

Dec. 11, Match 23 @ #3 West Bromwich Albion
The Baggies strike first, with an easy cross and header in… Sanou looked old and slow in getting beaten down the left by Diomansy Kamara. Hagman has a certain goal charged down in the 16th minute. The rest of the half is spent watching good chances end after a swift tackle, or a panicky clearance. We barely get inside the box. WBA get on the board again in the 47th minute, as a nice chip finds an open striker at 6 yards, and he volleys it in. WBA pick up a PK try in the 64th minute, and they bury it to go up 3-0. Opdal does well to keep it from being as bad as 5-0, stopping 2 more breakaways… meanwhile, WBA’s keeper Tomasz Kuszczak makes at least 2 goal saving stops, flying all over the place. We’re outclassed in this one.
Loss, 3-0, drop to 7th, 1 pt. behind 6th place Watford

We’re going through a bit of a gauntlet of late, playing several top teams… it’s been rough, but until this last match I thought we had played well even in the losses. That last match was just a complete loss of focus. I showed my anger to the team afterwards, and hope inwardly that we can manage to pull it back together with the busy Christmas period ahead.

We’re dropped to 8th by Saturday play… our next game is the featured Sunday TV match, and we can leap back to 6th with a win.

Hagman rejects our latest contract offer, bemoaning the lack of a minimum fee release clause. Well, there‘s an important reason I didn’t put one of those in there, ya dumb Swede.

Dec. 16, Match 24 @ #16 Nottingham Forest
We decide to go with the attacking 4-2-3-1 today, as our last couple of forays with our defensive 4-4-2 have been disasterous. Well, this doesn’t start out any better, as Forest bury a low 15 yarder in the 2nd minute, after Lavie loses his man. A disasterous first half finds us still just behind 1-0. We have a couple of decent chances turned aside, and insert a 2nd striker in place of a defender with 10 minutes to go… but it does no good. Another close but disappointing road loss.
Loss, 1-0, remain 8th – 3 pts. behind 6th place Ipswich

For the 2nd game in a row, a goalkeeper has the game of his life against us, this time netting Rune Pederson the man of the match award. 2 frustrating losses in a row where we just couldn’t bulge the net.

Young midfielder Andrej Mlinaric now leads the team in average rating.

After we issue them a hands-off warning, Cardiff announces its interest in signing Simon Hagman… thus unsettling the youngster. Hmmm. If they’re trying to play me, they’re doing a good job of it. Meanwhile, Hagman has raised his salary demands from $350k to $450k per season. The board will only allow me to offer $350k, so now I’m kinda screwed, unless I can offer him enough of a automatic yearly wage rise bump to interest him in our offer.

As the days tick closer to January 1, I was growing more nervous… then on Dec. 22nd, I open my e-mail:

HAGMAN ENDS SPECULATION BY COMMITTING HIS FUTURE TO PETERBOROUGH

Simon Hagman has put an end to the speculation linking him with a move to Wolves by signing a new contract.

Hagman pledged his future to Peterborough by agreeing terms on a new 3 year contract worth $1,200,000.

The former Hudiksvall player is Peterborough’s top goalscorer, scoring 17 goals in 22 appearances.

HAGMAN TO STAY PUT

Peterborough striker Simon Hagman has told a football website that there is no truth in the speculation linking him with Cardiff.

Hagman said that his love for the London Road club is such that it would take something special to lure him away.

Merry Christmas! As a special bonus, I am now linked under him as “favored personnel”, along with Paolo Di Canio. Maybe the old Italian had a special bond with him last year, and helped his development along.

Details of his contract are: $350k per season, $1,200 per goal bonus, $600 per assist bonus, yearly wage rise of 20%, promotion wage rise of 10%, and a minimum fee release clause of $9.75 million.

Dec. 22, Match 25 v. #19 Millwall
Simon Hagman celebrates his newly signed contract with a goal… Idrizaj with a nice low pass to him, and he buries it from 15 yards in the 15th minute. Naturally, Hagman gets injured just before halftime, and is forced out. Again, a team dominates us defensively, as 3 of the 4 Millwall defenders rate an 8 in this match… but we’re able to hold on for the single goal win. Malcolm Christie had the ball several times in and around the box in the second half, but he is being dispossessed far too easily.
Win, 1-0, up to 6th – 7 pts. behind 2nd place Norwich

Just before Christmas, GK Hakon Opdal comes up with a pulled hamstring in training… he’ll miss 2-4 weeks. Ivan Cuellar becomes our #1, and we bring Markus Probst up from the reserves to back him up.

Dec. 26, Match 26 @ #1 Wigan Athletic
We come out in our standard defensive road tactics. And we get on the board first as Hagman chases down a long ball from Ait-Alia… then crosses to the far post, where Honore Kabongo applies the finish! We lead 1-0 after 6 minutes. Sadly, Wigan level the match 1 minute into first half stoppage time, and it’s 1-1 at the break. Wigan with a horrific long backpass, and Hagman is there to break it up… the ball rolls to Jansen, and he scores into an open goal from 35 yards. 2-1 with 15 minutes to play. Unfortunately, Wigan equalize with 10 minutes to go off a free kick and header. Our defense holds up about as well as can be expected, but we end up with just a single point. Still, not a bad result against the league leaders, and I tell the team so.
Draw, 2-2, drop to 7th – 2 pts. behind 6th place Ipswich

Blackburn ask me how much I want for Andrej Mlinaric. I don’t really wish to sell him, but I say $3 million.

Blackburn also ask me how much I want for reserve midfielder Michael Cia. I take a look at him, and notice that he is signed through 2011. He also has down as being “touted as the next Francesco Totti”. Wow, tough comparison. His current value is $230k, so I tell Blackburn we’ll let him go for $2 million.

Blackburn withdraw their offer for Mlinaric, but Derby offer us $1.5 million and 30% of next sale. I decline it. I note that Mlinaric is now feeling the pressure of public expectation. I make a note to give him a few more days off.

By the way, just as an update… that young keeper I tried to buy waaaaay back in August, Chris Howarth: he signed with Birmingham, and is now their first team keeper. He has allowed 22 goals in 22 starts, with 8 clean sheets. I just want to kick myself over that one. I almost had him.

Dec. 29, Match 27 v. #20 Doncaster
In the 18th minute, Jonatan Berg with a powerful early cross, and Hagman gets a toe to it at 8 yards near the far post, and sticks it in there. Hagman’s 19th of the season. A long stretch goes by without much activity… then towards the end of the game it gets interesting… Hagman appears to set up Toure-Maman for a 2nd goal, but it’s ruled out for offsides. Then Hagman appears to get mad… he has 3 open shots in the next 4 minutes… then gets elbowed in the face by a Rover defender. Then in extra time, Doncaster force us to play about 3 headers out for corners when they seriously start trying to score. It’s a complete mad scramble for about 7 minutes, until the whistle finally goes and we get the 3 points.
Win, 1-0, up to 5th – 7 pts. behind 2nd place Norwich

Looks like the Canaries are setting themselves up as the firm #2 behind Wigan, as they now lead #3 West Brom by 4 points.

Another up and down month ends, as we finish a packed December 3-1-3.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:31 PM   #74
Butter
Coordinator

January ‘08
Cash balance: $2,270,814

Even after paying through the nose to keep Hagman we still only lost $98k last month, and around $414k for the season. Not bad.

Manchester United refuse to prolong Chris Eagles’ loan deal unless we kick in more of his wages… and considering he gets over $600k per year, we’re not willing to do that. So, he’s gone as of 1/3. Eagles was stellar for us, though, averaging a 7.11 in 18 appearances, with 2 goals and 8 assists.

Unfortunately, Matt Jansen is now refusing to listen to our contract offers, so we’re likely going to lose the veteran midfielder/forward during the Bosman period.

Jan. 1, Match 28 @ #6 Blackburn
In the 5th minute, a nice cross in by Hagman finds Barragan cutting in, and his volley goes in off the left post for his 1st goal of the season. Barragan decides he’s not satisfied with one goal, and heads in a 2nd in the 29th minute off a Toure-Maman free kick. Barragan completely unmarked at 10 yards on the set piece, and it’s an easy goal for the Liverpool loaner. Cuellar picks up a knock in the first half, but must stay in. Both Probst and Opdal are on the shelf, and with Cousins out for loan that means that our 5th string GK, Morten Bredal-Thorsen, is our backup today. We’re in our defensive tactics for this road match, but Blackburn look totally out of sorts as we’re constantly creating havoc in and around their box. Blackburn barely threaten, and we take a fairly easy win.
Win, 2-0, up to 4th – 5 pts. behind 2nd place Norwich

As the calendar turns over, that means it’s Bosman time once again. Time for us to look for replacements for our players leaving during the offseason. Right now it looks like 2 key players will be leaving: Matt Jansen and Palmi Rafn Palmason. I also am on the lookout for any decent looking right wingers and defenders at any position. Sadly, as our level of play increases, the talent pool from which to choose our replacements decreases. So that means the pickings are mighty slim this season. But I still manage to make an offer or three, even stretching for some 30 year olds, despite the youth movement I’m trying to install here.

Jan. 5, FA Cup Third Round @ Millwall
We run MOST of our 1st team out there… and in the 2nd minute, one of them pays off. Palmason’s free kick is headed goalward by Idrizaj, and the ball is put into their own net by a Lion defender. 3 minutes later, Idrizaj scores off a deflected Christie shot, and just like that it’s 2-0. Right off the 2nd half kickoff Millwall earn a PK after Sno holds back a defender in the box… but luckily Cuellar saves it to preserve our 2 goal lead. In the 58th minute, Antonio Barragan scores his 3rd goal in 2 games, after a Lavie cross found him alone at the back post. Millwall barely threaten the rest of the match, and we take the easy win against the London side.
Win, 3-0, advance to FA Cup Fourth Round
Old 05-19-2006, 03:50 PM   #75
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Fantastic Dynasty. I continue to read this with great interest. Hopefully you'll get a lucrative draw in the FA Cup 4th round!
Old 05-22-2006, 07:54 AM   #76
Butter
Coordinator

Keeping my fingers crossed for the draw...
Old 05-22-2006, 01:47 PM   #77
Butter
Coordinator

We get a week’s layoff before our next match against bottom-dwellers Derby County. I notice that our average attendance has shot up yet again, to just over 10,000 this season. Our gate receipts and match day income are on track to increase by over 50% each for the 3rd straight year. Our merchandising is kinda flat, but we did just win $75k in prize money for our FA Cup triumph. If we can sneak into the EPL somehow after this season… oh what a glorious thing that would be.

The FA Cup Fourth Round Draw is held, and we’ll take to the road to face one of two teams in this round: either League One Swindon Town, or fellow Championship team Wigan Athletic.

We have pretty much struck out on every single available interesting looking player that we could bring in… so it looks like we’re going to have to wait until the summer hits, wait for our new TV money next season, then try and buy a couple of guys to come in.

Jan. 12, Match 29 v. #21 Derby County
In the 18th, Simon Hagman buries his 20th of the year off a nice pass from Rachid Tiberkanine. Hagman with a powerful 10 yard blast to put us in front. Van Den Broeck charges down a certain goal in the 25th to keep us in front. Early in the 2nd half we go up 2, as Tommy Spurr’s 25 yard free kick finds Jonatan Berg in the six, and his well-placed header bounds across the line for his first ever Posh goal. In the 57th, Barragan with a nice low pass to Jansen, who is wide open 10 yards from goal and bangs a low shot in off the left post. Derby barely threaten as we take an easy 3 points. Young defender Tommy Spurr wins MoM honors.
Win, 3-0, remain 4th – 6 pts. behind 2nd place Wigan

We make our first few signings of the Bosman season this week… both players will join us on July 1st.

23 year old French D/DM Nicolas Godemeche signs a $170k per season deal through 2011 with the Posh, leaving his current squad, Montpellier (recently promoted to French League One, lying 3rd). Godemeche’s amazing physical strength should help him battle in the midfield for us, as he looks a more convincing DM than a DC. Godemeche with solid passing and teamwork skills… he lacks a bit of ball control skill, but we can work on that.

29 year old Cameroonian AMR Douala will join us for about $250k per season through 2010. Douala comes over from Sporting Lisbon, where he is used sparingly. Douala is a versatile player, and has blazing speed and great ball skills. He is maybe a bit too passive at times, but he looks a very skillful veteran midfielder, and is listed on his attributes sheets as an “explosive winger”, which is precisely what we need.

23 year old French AM/F Sebastien Renouard signs a big deal with us, coming over from Metz. Renouard can play both wings and can play forward in attack. He is absolutely deadly with the ball from distance, and is a great team leader. He lacks a bit in decision-making and in strength, but should be a very good addition to the team.

25 year old Malian AMR/ST Mamadou Diallo also signs with us from France, he coming from Nantes. Diallo is a very impressive looking player, able to score from distance, score with his head, or set up others with quality passing. He is not much on set pieces, but should be a great player who can play at multiple positions for us. He shores up 2 areas, striker and right wing immediately, and is good enough to start at either.

Unfortunately for us, 3 of our players are called up to African Cup of Nations duty… and as such, they’ll be gone for likely over a month with no compensation for us. We lose AM-LC Cherif Toure-Maman to Togo, D/DM Firmin Sanou to Burkina Faso, and D Aime Lavie to Congo. Toure-Maman and Lavie have been important contributors this season.

Jan. 19, Match 30 @ #24 Leicester
We stick with the attacking 4-2-3-1 on the road against a weak opponent. Lorenzo Davids makes his return from a torn hamstring today, after missing several months. We weather multiple Leicester chances and are able to go into the locker rooms all square at 0-0. In the 57th minute, Palmason’s 25 yard free kick is parried away, but Honore Kabongo pounces on the rebound and drives it home for a 1-0 Posh lead. The Foxes spend the rest of the match shooting and praying, but we are able to hold on for the win.
Win, 1-0, up to 3rd – with 4 pts. of 1st and 2nd place

Wigan beat Swindon Town 3-0 in the FA Cup, so we’ll get the Latics in 7 days’ time at the JJB Stadium.

We plan to play all out at Wigan to try to get the win.

Jan. 26, FA Cup Fourth Round @ Wigan Athletic
We come out in the 4-4-2 counter formation, with Jansen and Hagman serving as strike partners. Khalilou Fadiga’s signing finally pays some dividends, as his corner kick swings right to the penalty spot, where Georgi Sarmov heads it in! We lead 1-0 after 14 minutes. 4 minutes later, Sarmov tries to send in a cross, but a Wigan defender gets his hand in the way… the penalty is given! David Van Den Broeck to take it… David Van Den Broeck to make it! 2-0 Posh! Just before halftime, our advantage bulges to 3-0, as Antonio Barragan drills home a 25 yard free kick… Terrific bend on that ball, and we’re comfortably in front. During first half injury time, though, Van Den Broeck gives away a PK… and Wigan convert it. 3-1 at the half. The 2nd half belongs to Ivan Cuellar. He opens up making 2 point blank stops after a nice header down struck his leg… Wigan couldn’t stuff it in past the Spaniard. He makes 2 more acrobatic saves a bit later on… and Cuellar is making a case for himself to be our first choice keeper instead of Hakon Opdal, who is preparing to come back from injury. The time ticks away, and our defense holds in the 2nd half.
Win, 3-1, advance to FA Cup Fifth Round

We win $120k for our Fourth Round triumph.

The Round 5 draw is held… 16 teams left, including 9 EPL sides. We luck out, though, even though we did draw a road game, we drew one against fellow Championship side Luton. We have a decent shot at making the Quarterfinals. This match will be on February 16th.

Jan. 29, Match 31 v. #11 Sheffield United
A tight well-played first half, but it ends scoreless. The second half is pretty drab, it appears that the Blades are more than happy to back off and take their point. Luckily for us, we get a final push. In the 1st minute of stoppage time, Davids throw-in is crossed to the right side of the box… Rachid Tiberkanine gets onto the end of it, and sneaks it past Paddy Kenny for the goal! Shockingly, though, Sheffield United are able to equalize with less than 30 seconds left, after some poor defending left a striker right on Cuellar’s doorstep, and he is unable to stop the point blank shot. A disappointing, but deserved draw.
Draw, 1-1, remain 3rd - 3 pts. behind 2nd place Wigan

We upped our price on Simon Hagman “officially” from $85k to $4.3 million. Now we’re getting offers like $2.6 million plus 30% of future transfer fee plus friendly proposal from teams like Birmingham and Wolves. Still rejecting them, but it makes it a touch harder to turn down when you know you’re turning down an entire year’s salary budget to keep one player…. But what a player he’s been.

AC Milan sack manager Carlo Ancelotti following an Italian Cup Quarterfinal loss to Livorno, despite lying 2nd in the Serie A table and having won their Champions League group with ease. Ah, Italian football… what a fickle state of affairs you are in.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:11 PM   #78
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

5th Round!!! Woo-Hoo!!!
Old 05-22-2006, 03:24 PM   #79
Butter
Coordinator

February ‘08
Cash balance: $2,769,592

We raked in the money last month, thanks to some great attendance for league matches, nearly $200k in FA Cup prize money, and a boatload of extra money thanks to a home FA Cup match.

Feb. 2, Match 32 @ #15 Luton
A preview of our FA Cup match in 2 weeks. Luton average less than a goal per match, and have a -17 goal difference, so we stick with the attacking 4-2-3-1 despite being on the road here. Hakon Opdal returns from injury here, and Firmin Sanou returns from the Cup of Nations as well. In the 27th, Andrej Mlinaric with a masterful backheel to Hagman, and Simon turns, shoots, and scores! Hagman’s 21st of the season puts us up 1-0. Opdal gives up a soft goal just 10 minutes later, and we’re level at 1-1 following the defensive lapse. Off the 2nd half kickoff, Luton with a lazy pass backwards, and Hagman intercepts at 45 yards, runs free to the box, and scores with a strong 15 yard shot into the upper right corner. In the 59th, Sarmov with a great ball ahead of Kabongo… he runs onto it, and fires it past the keeper inside the far post. 3-1, Posh. Opdal picks up a minor knock thanks to the sloppy field conditions. I really want to sub Hagman out due to the injury worry on a sloppy pitch after we go up 2, but I only have 1 sub left and can’t risk losing the keeper as well with no subs to replace him. It goes smoothly, and we take the win.
Win, 3-1, remain 3rd – 3 pts. behind 1st and 2nd

Opdal will be on the shelf for 2-4 more weeks after playing through a badly twisted ankle in this match. I notice that Mark Cousins has been improving by leaps and bounds, so I bring him up to be Cuellar’s backup for the next few matches. I might even start him once or twice. But probably not.

Big big match up next. A win puts us 2nd, into the automatic promotion slot.

Feb. 9, Match 33 v. #2 Norwich
We pile men into the box early on… and in the 8th it pays off as a long range shot by David Van Den Broeck takes a deflection and rolls past the goal line for a 1-0 Posh lead. In the 28th minute, Robert Earnshaw buries a low shot past Cuellar for the equalizer, after Spurr misplayed a long pass interception attempt. Hagman comes out injured in the 30th minute, and seldom used Malcolm Christie replaces him. Here’s your chance, lad. He gets a decent chance just 2 minutes after he comes on, but his shot is hit into the keeper’s stomach. Earnshaw buries a curling 20 yard shot 3 minutes into the 2nd half as the Canaries take control of the match. Norwich begin to control midfield, but in the 74th we get a bit lucky, as the Norwich keeper can’t keep hold of Toure-Maman’s shot, leading to an easy finish for Besian Idrizaj… 2-2 with 15 minutes to play. I bring Mark Cousins on as our final sub, a move sure to not endear me to Ivan Cuellar… but he’s been playing like crap today. With less than one minute of regular time to play, Ait-Alia is beaten down the left… and then sticks his leg out and just takes down a Norwich attacker. He’s sent off, and as he reaches the showers, he hears the crowd moan as the PK is powered in past Cousins. A tough loss, but we really didn’t play very well, and probably deserved to lose.
Loss, 3-2, remain 3rd – 4 pts. behind 2nd place Wigan

Norwich certainly poked a hole in our title hopes with that loss… but the race for 2nd place still lives on. If we can keep our stamina and spirits up, no reason we can’t continue to challenge both Norwich and Wigan for that 2nd automatic promotion slot.

We wait nervously following the match to receive a status report on Simon Hagman. If he were lost for a long while, we’d have to depend on Matt Jansen, Malcolm Christie (who is pouting at the moment), and loaner Besian Idrizaj to provide goals… and only Jansen has been reliable on that front this year. Luckily for us, it’s just a mild concussion, and Hagman should be ready in about a week or so.

Lost in the disappointment of the loss is the fact that this was our first loss in 9 league games. A nice run for a predicted relegation battler.

Feb. 12, Match 34 @ #5 Stoke
We back into a 4-4-2 counter to start the match. Aime Lavie returns to the lineup from Cup of Nations duty today. Jansen and Idrizaj pair up front today. In the 22nd, a nicely built counter ends with Fadiga sending in a short pass to Mlinaric, and the youngster’s half volley buries into the right side of the net! Mlinaric’s first Posh goal, and we lead 1-0. Jansen is chopped down on a breakaway in the 42nd, and we go a man up as the defender is shown the red card. In the 58th, the game is evened up as Balazs Borbely is sent off, and Stoke awarded a PK for a breakaway foul. Stoke convert it, and we’re level on the scoreboard and on players. In the 67th, Barragan with a nice long ball to Matt Jansen, and he slots it home past the keeper to put us back ahead. Cuellar with a couple of nice saves late, and we hold on for the win.
Win, 2-1, remain 3rd – 4 pts. behind Wigan and Norwich

Next up, a big money match for us, as a win and a favorable draw could earn us upwards of $1 million. That is, the 5th Round Cup tie with Luton. We just won here 2 weeks ago… can we manage to do it again?

Feb. 16, FA Cup Fifth Round @ Luton
Luton start out much stronger in this match than they did in their last one against us. Christie is the lone striker in this 4-2-3-1. Jansen is backing him up as the withdrawn striker, however. After several chances, Luton finally get one in on the soggy pitch… a long low shot past Evander Sno and Ivan Cuellar goes in, and it’s 1-0 Hatters at halftime. We bring Idrizaj on as a 2nd striker at halftime, switching to a 3 man back row. In the 58th, this move pays off, as Fadiga’s cross to the near post finds Idrizaj, who rises above his marker and heads it in from inside 5 yards. Idrizaj’s 5th goal of the season puts us level. In the 69th, we strike again, this time it’s Matt Jansen heading one in from a Van Den Broeck early ball. We switch to the 4-4-2 counter after taking the lead. Sadly for us, Luton are able to equalize in the 82nd minute, after a pass splits our central defense, and Cuellar can’t stop the 10 yard shot. That late goal earns Luton a replay.
Draw, 2-2, game to be replayed on Feb. 27th at London Road
Old 05-22-2006, 03:25 PM   #80
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Bitch. Not only did you get me playing FM again, you've got me contemplating writing about it again.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 03:30 PM   #81
Butter
Coordinator

I also failed to report that Andrej Mlinaric complained mildly about his contract status... he was making less than $20k per season and featuring in midfield for us.... so I signed him to an extension through 2011 at just $70k per year, with a modest $10k signing bonus. I am already listed as "favored personnel" for the youngster... and he has the chance to be a long-term special player with the Posh. He has already surpassed expectations this year, and will only improve, as he just turned 18 prior to the season.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:30 PM   #82
Butter
Coordinator

Thanks, CW! Hope to read your new stuff soon. It's hard not to get excited when you get on a roll like I've been able to with this team.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:49 PM   #83
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Heh, having just gotten Notts County up to the Championship, the game is proving quite exciting.

I still hate the Posh though.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:47 AM   #84
Butter
Coordinator

Turns out if we do manage to beat Luton in the FA Cup replay, we will get our home match. We would host either West Ham or Bolton in the Sixth Round.

Feb. 20, Match 35 v. #14 Sunderland
The Black Cats have rallied following a disasterous start to the season. A terrible first half results in a 0-0 game at halftime. I tell the team I am disappointed with them at halftime, and it seems to help, as we get a good shot on target in the first 30 seconds of half #2. The team goes flat shortly thereafter, and we try to help, bringing Hagman on in the 78th minute, but it makes no difference.
Draw, 0-0, remain 3rd – 3 pts. behind 2nd place Norwich

We remain 3rd on 61 pts., but there are 4 teams within 4 points of us… so we must defend against a lull here. We need to keep getting good results, and try to put pressure on the top 2 so we can avoid the playoffs. Anything can happen in the playoffs, and I hope we can avoid them and just go straight up.

Feb. 23, Match 36 @ #19 Queen’s Park Rangers
We come out in our 4-4-2 counter formation, with Kabongo and Hagman up front. Aime Lavie is called for a foul in the air on a cross into the box, and QPR get a penalty in the 8th minute… and convert it. Just 4 minutes later, Rangers strike again, and we’re in big trouble at Loftus Road. We switch to our attacking 4-2-3-1 just 15 minutes in. After a few close calls, we finally get a goal, as Tommy Spurr’s free kick from across midfield drops perfectly to the penalty spot for Hagman, and he volleys it in. 2-1 at the 41st minute. I tell the team that we’re still in the game at halftime, and we come out looking dangerous in the 2nd half. We have at least 3 shots parried by the keeper, but can’t get anybody to finish the rebounds. We bring on an extra striker, but Malcolm Christie almost seems like he’s missing out of spite at this point. We lose.
Loss, 2-1, remain 3rd – 4 pts. behind 2nd

We’ve hit a bit of a bad patch here… hopefully we can snap out of it before our mid-week encounter with Luton in the FA Cup replay.

Carling Cup Final
Tottenham H. 0:2 Chelsea

Feb. 27, FA Cup Fifth Round Replay v. Luton
In the 20th minute, we get on the board… Barragan’s cross is tipped away by the keeper, but Hagman is waiting behind him to tap it in. The Luton defenders are having all kinds of problems with Hagman and Jansen, collecting 3 cards in the first half hour. Luton equalize just after the break, after we gave the ball away much too easily in midfield. Luton switch to a 5-4-1 at the 60th minute, just trying to hold the draw through to extra time. Time is ticking away, and we’ve made all 3 subs by the 83rd minute… looks like we’re headed to extra time. In extra time, Luton are barely interested in scoring… they’re just sending long balls up the wings when they get possession. In the 108th minute, the crowd goes into raptures when Berg heads in a Borbely cross… but he was offsides. We go to penalty kicks after an uneventful extra 30 minutes.

Penalty kicks:
Round 1:
Hatters: Score
Posh: ST Simon Hagman - Saved

Round 2:
Hatters: Saved
Posh: M Andrej Mlinaric - Saved

Round 3:
Hatters: Score
Posh: D Aime Lavie - Score

Round 4:
Hatters: Need a stop here… but we don’t get it. Score.
Posh: D David Van Den Broeck… Score.

Round 5:
Hatters: We MUST have a stop here to stay in it. But Cuellar can’t make the save, and we fall to Luton, 4-2 on PK’s.

Loss, 1-1 (4-2 on PK’s), out of FA Cup

Our penalty taking is pretty awful. We only had 3 players on the field who rated above 10 during the penalty taking phase, and 2 of them were defenders. Hagman is only a 5, and Mlinaric was a surprise miss.

We finish February on a downturn, losing our last 2 matches, and going 2-2-3 overall, and 2-1-2 in league.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:16 PM   #85
Butter
Coordinator

March ‘08
Cash balance: $2,991,003

Hopefully we can right the ship with just 10 games left to play.

March 1, Match 37 v. #20 Plymouth Argyle
Mark Cousins with the start in goal for the (rightfully) depressed Ivan Cuellar. The entire team is down on itself, and it shows. Our midfield passing is not crisp, and many are easily stolen. Our goal attempts are half-hearted, and the speed just isn’t there. Some bad defense allows a breakaway in the 49th, and poor positioning by Cousins allows that goal. Our offense is completely bereft of creativity, and in the 84th, Plymouth are able to finagle a 2nd goal, as Cousins again fails to shut the angle on a tight angled header. We take an unsurprising loss.
Loss, 2-0, remain 3rd

Surprisingly, no one is pushing us from behind. WBA and Sheffield Utd. Sit 2 points behind us on 59, while 6th place Stoke have 58. But we’re losing the 2 leaders, as Wigan are now 12 points ahead of us on 73, and Norwich are 7 points clear of us on 68.

Malcolm Christie whines to the media again about playing time, but this time I tell him that I pick the team. He responds to this by requesting to be put on the transfer list.

Mar. 8, Match 38 v. #17 Leeds
We bring up a few reserves with good morale, and start them today, as the entire team has dipped to poor or just “OK”. Markus Probst, David Perisset, Lee Whittington, Marcus Williams, and Keith Barker all grace the starting lineup in our 4-2-3-1. Marcus Williams’ pass to Keith Barker is a good one… Barker is chopped down, and the penalty is given! Lee Whittington to take it… and he scores! 1-0, Posh in the 18th. In the 33rd, Leeds with a nice move, 2 quick passes and a shot result in a goal past Probst. 1-1 at halftime. We bring on some subs late, but neither team does much in the 2nd half.
Draw, 1-1, remain 3rd - 6 pts. behind 2nd place Norwich, 3 pts. clear of 7th place Sheffield Utd.

Not a bad match put together there, but still short of the 3 points we wanted. There’s still time to turn it around… but not much. We can’t afford to keep dropping points if we want to stay in the top six.

Very very bad news in mid-week, as Balazs Borbely looks to be out for the season with a serious leg injury. I send him off to a specialist, and he will indeed be out for the season, but should be back in time for training next season. Borbely has been our defensive leader this season, so this is a big blow.

Mar. 15, Match 39 v. #12 Cardiff
In the 7th, a free kick is bobbled around in the box before Simon Hagman gets onto it and powers it home. Hagman’s 25th of the year puts us up 1-0. Hakon Opdal with an inexcusable ball handling mistake in the 20th, as he allows himself to get dispossessed in the box… and Cardiff level the match at 1. Cardiff strike again 2 minutes later on a short chip and header in, and Opdal looks completely lost after spending the better part of 3 months on the bench. We cannot get much going, and are helpless to watch as the clock ticks down, and we end up losing yet again.
Loss, 2-1, drop to 4th – 3 pts. ahead of 7th place Sheffield Utd.

Only 7 matches to go, and we’ve only been able to nab 2 points from a possible 15 in the last several weeks. Even just getting 7 points from 15 would see us still in the 2nd place hunt, but as it is we’re 9 points behind 2nd place Norwich at this point, and very unlikely to catch them barring a 7 match win streak.

Mar. 22, Match 40 @ #3 Hull
We get off to a nice start, as an early cross finds Perisset in the middle of the box… his volley is stopped, but Hagman buries the rebound for a 1-0 lead after 90 seconds. Ait-Alia is sent off in the 22nd minute for taking down a Hull attacker on a breakaway, so our task is toughened. We manage to survive several Hull attacks during the remainder of the half, and actually take a lead to halftime. Cuellar was rating a 10 at one point during the first half. In the 66th, Perisset with a great ball down the line for Mlinaric… he whips in a cross, and Hagman is there to nod it home! 2-0 Posh, as we score a man down! We’re able to hold on to finally stop our slide. Cuellar and Hagman carry us to victory today.
Win, 2-0, up to 3rd – 7 pts. behind 2nd place Norwich, 4 pts. clear of 7th

Mar. 24, Match 41 @ #13 Reading
In the 10th minute, Cherif Toure-Maman buries a 20+ yard free kick for an early 1-0 lead. We make it 2-0 in the 25th, as Hagman beats his man in midfield, then chips the keeper from 20 yards. Hagman’s 50th career Posh goal. In the 62nd, Palmason’s cross finds Barragan, and he heads it in from a good distance… well controlled header. Barragan’s 5th of the year makes it 3-0. 2 straight road wins against tough opponents… and the tide has turned for us yet again.
Win, 3-0, remain 3rd – 3 pts. behind 2nd place Norwich

Norwich have dropped 3 of their last 4 matches, but have a slightly easier remaining schedule than we do.

Wigan has officially clinched promotion after this last weekend of games.

Norwich play their next match a day before we do, and beat WBA 3-0… so we’ll not have a chance to catch them just yet. But my hopes of catching them are buoyed by the fact that we should hold the superior goal difference at season’s end. Which means if we can finish level on points with them, we shall get 2nd.

Mar. 30, Match 42 v. #6 Coventry
Coventry are fighting for their playoff lives right now, while we should have enough to at least make it in there. Early on, it’s Cuellar once again saving our hides more than once. Sadly, just before halftime the Sky Blues bury a 6 yard shot past the diving Cuellar. In the 54th, Simon Hagman gets his head to a nice lofted chip from Davids, and sneaks it past the keeper to level the match. 10 minutes later, it’s Hagman again, this time we strike on a breakaway keyed by Jonathan Berg… it’s Hagman’s 30th of the season. In the 70th, it’s Jonatan Berg scoring a goal of his own thanks to a great square pass across the box from Toure-Maman. That’s how it ends.
Win, 3-1, remain 3rd – 3 pts. behind 2nd place Norwich

We finish the month strongly, going 3-1-2, but winning our last 3.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:10 PM   #86
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Hagman is unreal.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:01 PM   #87
Butter
Coordinator

April ‘08
Cash balance: $3,605,079

Aime Lavie is voted the Player of the Month of March… he averaged an 8 rating in all 3 starts he made, and successfully won 43 of 48 headers attempted, and made 28 pass interceptions. Meanwhile, Antonio Barragan picks up the Young Player of the Month award, scoring 1 goal and averaging a 7.67 in 3 starts.

April 5, Match 43 @ #24 Sheffield Wednesday
The Owls are just 3 points from safety, so we hunker down into a 4-4-2 counter expecting a lot of offense to be thrown our way. Norwich visit #17 Nottingham Forest today. And the game unfolds predictably… the Owls attack attack attack… then we counter, with Jansen crossing nicely for Barragan at the far post, and the young Spaniard buries his 6th goal of the season in the 28th minute. We get word at halftime that Norwich are still scoreless with Forest, so we’re in line to gain even more points on the Canaries…. If we can hold on. The Owls try hard, but are unable to penetrate our 4-5-1 late. Cuellar is named man of the match, as he made at least 2 world class saves late in the 2nd half.
Win, 1-0, remain 3rd – 1 pt. behind Norwich for 2nd

With 3 matches left, we’re 8 points clear of 7th place Coventry, and just need one point from our final 3 matches to clinch a playoff spot.

An interesting situation comes up, as Simon Hagman injures himself… he can get the ol’ injection treatment, which would allow him to play in our next match but see him out 2-4 weeks, or he can just get standard physiotherapy which would see him out 1-4 weeks. I decide to go with physio treatment. We’re all but assured a playoff spot, I want to at least make sure he’ll be available for that when it starts.

Hakon Opdal implores his team to win our next match to keep our automatic promotion hopes alive. I notice that he has “superb” morale.

Apr. 12, Match 44 v. #10 Watford
Norwich hosts 18th place Millwall today. Hakon Opdal starts in goal today… and central midfielder David Perisset has wormed his way into the lineup lately, with 5 straight starts of rating an 7 or better. Watford nearly score in the 26th, but a headed in goal is ruled out for offsides. Malek Ait-Alia’s header is right to a Watford attacker, who passes back through where Ait-Alia should have been playing, leading to an easy goal. 1-0, Watford. We struggle to put an attack together, and take the loss.
Loss, 1-0, remain 3rd

We miss our shot to pass Norwich, as they can only manage a draw against Millwall. We trail them still by just 2 points with 2 games to go.

Former Poshman Matt Derbyshire has blown up at last at his Blackburn Rovers manager for a lack of playing time this season. Derbyshire has started 5 matches, and subbed in over 20 times, scoring just 3 goals and averaging under a 6.5 for the mid-table squad. I predicted this very thing at the end of last season, when he wouldn’t sign with us. Oh well, be careful what you wish for Matty-boy.

Apr. 19, Match 45 @ #5 Ipswich
The Tractor Boys are looking fairly safe for the playoffs, as long as they keep getting points. Norwich are at champions Wigan today. In first half stoppage time, Lorenzo Davids’ 35 yard free kick is sizzled into the box, and Barker flicks it towards goal and scores! Keith Barker’s first goal of his senior career puts us ahead at halftime! The halftime score at the JJB is 0-0, so we’re in 2nd for the time being. Sadly, some careless midfield possession leads to a good chance… then a bad clearance makes it a golden chance for Ipswich, and they convert. Tommy Spurr’s poor clearance left Cuellar high and dry. 1-1 with 20 minutes to play. We advance into a 3-4-3… but it backfires on us, as Ipswich beat our offside trap with less than a minute to play, and score past a diving Cuellar to nab the game-winner. Matt Jansen rates an unbelievably ugly 4 for most of the 2nd half before coming back to a 5 late.
Loss, 2-1, remain 3rd

Norwich lose late to Wigan, 1-0, meaning we’ve blown yet ANOTHER chance to take 2nd. WBA and Ipswich are now also both level with us on 74 points, while Norwich sit 2nd on 76. Should be a fun final weekend. Norwich are in the driver’s seat, but we play West Brom., so chances are fairly good one of us is going to win that match and finish on 77 points. Norwich will face Doncaster, a team that sits 22nd, in the relegation zone by goal difference instead of Luton. Meanwhile, Ipswich will face a mid-table Leeds squad with not much to prove.

We pick up an EXTREMELY late loaner to the club, as Chris Eagles agrees to join us on a two month loan from Manchester United after finishing up another loan to Wolves. Eagles was strong for us early in the season, and if we can squeeze 4 more games of magic out of him, this will be money well spent.

Apr. 27, Match 46 v. #4 West Bromwich Albion
We finish the season in the 4-2-3-1. I’m a bit nervous about it, but WBA come out in a VERY defensive 4-1-4-1. Hakon Opdal with the start in goal, Matt Jansen given the start at striker despite his disasterous start last time out. A very tight first half ends scoreless. We had a 2 ½ minute series of possession that saw us get 3 good chances, but WBA keeper Tomasz Kusczak just won’t let us score. I don’t know how else to put it. It’s still scoreless at Norwich, so we still have a chance if Doncaster can find a goal. In the 70th, who is that coming off the bench? It can’t be… it is! Simon Hagman is partially recovered from his chest injury, and comes on for Jansen in the 70th minute! In the 75th, Hagman skins an opponent, and is in on goal… his shot… is saved! Hagman busts loose one more time in the 89th… but he is tackled from behind fairly, and the game ends up 0-0.
Draw 0-0, finish 3rd

Bad news from Norwich, as Doncaster earn a late leveller… which means a winning goal by Hagman would’ve earned us automatic promotion. As it is, we finish 3rd for the 2nd straight season, and will face Coventry in the playoffs. Doncaster’s late goal was not enough, as Leicester win their match, pushing both Luton and Doncaster into relegation.

Chelsea win their 4th straight EPL title.

Tommy Spurr broke his toe in our last match, so he’ll miss our playoff run.

A disappointing April finishes 1-1-2. 2 more points would’ve earned us automatic promotion. Makes that 3-2 loss to Norwich earlier this season when they nabbed a late goal all the more disheartening.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:23 PM   #88
Butter
Coordinator

May ‘08
Cash balance: $3,733,054

Championship Playoff Semifinal First Leg
Ipswich 2:0 WBA

May 4, Championship Playoff Semifinal First Leg @ Coventry
We start in a 4-4-2 counter today. We lost at The Ricoh Arena 2-1 in our first meeting this season. We get off to a pretty good start, as Jansen’s low pass to Hagman gets through the defense… then Hagman squares it for Eagles, who buries it in the back of the net after just 50 seconds! 4 minutes later, it’s another goal, as Hagman’s initial shot is stopped, but Jansen cleans up the mess with his 15th of the season! In the 21st minute, Hakon Opdal is penalized for tripping a Coventry attacker… no card, but a PK is given. The Sky Blue forward steps up… saved! Then in the 27th, Perisset with a great ball to the left for Fadiga… he passes short to Jansen, who drives it high past the keeper and scores! 3-0, Posh inside the first half-hour. We bring Hagman off at halftime as a precaution. Coventry back into a defensive style to try and hold it to a 3-0 deficit. We switch to our attacking 4-2-3-1 to try and step on their throat. It backfires, as Coventry get one back in the 62nd on a nice move through our central defense. One minute later, Coventry score again and I can’t switch tactics fast enough. In the 79th, a cross in is knocked down… by Chris Eagles hand. It’s a penalty. The kick is taken, and scored, and just like that it is 3-3. Unbelievable comeback by Coventry, and a bad tactical error on my part to try and push our advantage.
Draw, 3-3, return leg on 5/8

Last time we had the Sky Blues at home, we blitzed them 3-1 with our attacking formation. It should be a game for the ages.

Championship Playoff Semifinal Second Leg
West Brom 1:2 Ipswich (Ipswich advance 4-1 on aggregate)

We have an absolute ton of people injured, including Lorenzo Davids, Tommy Spurr, and Balazs Borbely… and most everyone else has poor morale, so if we can pull this off it will be my finest coaching job yet.

May 8, Championship Playoff Semifinal Second Leg v. Coventry
Coventry strike first, burying a header on a nice cross in the 7th minute. In the 13th, though, Toure-Maman’s corner falls to the near post, where Hagman heads it in just past the keeper’s hands. Game on. Coventry with a terrific goal after Ait-Alia misses an interception just 2 minutes later… Cuellar looked helpless to stop that shot. We pull Ait-Alia after 20 minutes, as his errors have led to both goals. Hagman gets off a nice shot in the 32nd, but the Coventry keeper is up to the task this time. We look up to the challenge, our shots just aren’t finding the target right now. I tell the team that we can win this thing at halftime. I only wish that were true. We throw everybody forward in the final minutes, but don’t get any good quality chances off. We just ran out of gas here at the end of the season. A good run, but ultimately not enough.
Loss, 2-1, Coventry advance 5-4 on aggregate

If only I had just backed off at Coventry. Who knows, they may still have gone on a rampage… but maybe not. If we could’ve gotten more than 1 point from our final 3 games, all of this would be a moot point anyway.

As it is, we finish off a good but not great season just a bit short of our goal of 3 successive promotions. We’ll be back next year.

UEFA Cup Final
Arsenal 3:1 Roma

FA Cup Final
Bolton Wanderers 0:1 Manchester United

West Ham, Crystal Palace, and Wolverhampton Wanderers have all been relegated from the EPL… Charlton escaped on the last day, and Southampton also narrowly escaped the drop with some late-season heroics.

UEFA Champions League Final
Juventus 0:1 Chelsea
-In a rematch of last year’s final, Chelsea are able to reverse the decision of last season thanks to a late Frank Lampard goal.

I’m still disappointed. And it’s been over a half hour since I’ve run the last match. Can’t believe I let that first leg slip away.

Squad recap and final stats to come.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:27 PM   #89
Butter
Coordinator

2007-08 final standings:

Final stats:

End of season contract status:

End of season player values & ages:

Reserve team values & ages:
Old 05-23-2006, 04:27 PM   #90
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Buck up! There's always next year!
Old 05-24-2006, 09:44 AM   #91
Butter
Coordinator

Championship Playoff Final
Coventry 0:4 Ipswich
-Nice to see we’ll have Coventry to drive into the ground next season. Oh yeah, I’m rubbing my hands together in an evil fashion just dreaming about how badly we’re going to beat them.

Final statistics:
Avg. attendance: 11,889 (23rd, 1st: West Brom., 29,685)
Goals scored/conceded: 78 / 52 (4th / 5th)

Average rating:
1. Joao Paulo (Wigan) – 7.45
14. Aime Lavie – 7.18
22. Andrej Mlinaric – 7.13
25t. Balazs Borbely, Simon Hagman – 7.12

Goals:
1t. Kevin Kyle (Watford), Simon Hagman – 30
24t. Matt Jansen – 15

Assists:
1. Kevin Kyle (Watford) – 15
6. Simon Hagman – 12
15t. Chris Eagles – 10

Man of Match:
1. Kevin Kyle (Watford) – 9
4t. Simon Hagman – 6

End of season squad review:

Goalkeepers
We have a tough decision to make entering next season. I’m not thrilled with either Ivan Cuellar or Hakon Opdal. Opdal gets hurt at the drop of a hat, but is listed as a “model professional”. I appreciate how he tried to rally the team to both of our final wins… but as a player, he just couldn’t get himself up enough to make it happen. Not sure why he had such injury problems, he is listed as a 14 for “natural fitness”. He conceded 31 goals in 26 starts, while Ivan Cuellar allowed 22 goals in 25 starts. Clearly, the stats favor Cuellar, but the attribute reports favor Opdal. Both are signed through 2010. Mark Cousins and Morten Bredal-Thorsen are both improving greatly in the reserves, while it looks like Markus Probst is on his way out after spending nearly the entire season in the reserves.

Players out: Markus Probst
Players in: None

Outlook: Cuellar and Opdal will battle it out again… Probably split time early, then give the job to whoever is in form and try to sell the other. I’m going to need this money to improve other areas of the squad.

Defense
Our defense improved a good bit, but still had some weaknesses: most notably at right-back. Malek Ait-Alia nearly single-handedly cost us the season… his foul and red card against Norwich gave them a gift goal and a win instead of a draw, a net swing of 3 points… then his nervous defending helped allow the first 2 goals against Coventry in the 2nd half in a game we led 3-0 at the time. Tommy Spurr was a pleasant surprise, turning into our regular left back following the injury to Lorenzo Davids. Spurr was solid out there, as was Balazs Borbely in the middle. But on the right, the platoon of Firmin Sanou and David Van Den Broeck did not go as well as hoped. Sanou showed his age regularly, while Van Den Broeck’s sub-par marking skills were often exposed by crosses through and around him. Evander Sno just didn’t have a good year either, but didn’t get much of a chance.

Players out: Firmin Sanou, Sean St. Ledger
Players in: 23 year old D/DM Nicolas Godemeche (Montpellier Reserves)

Outlook: We need to find a right back desperately. Spurr, Lavie, and Borbely are set as our main 3, but we need one more to have an enviable defense. With the right addition, we could become the toughest defense in the Championship. With another stiff at right back, we’ll just be staring at crosses in from the left all year long. Our reserves don’t look to be providing much help in the near future. Godemeche will likely play mostly at DM than at DC.

Midfield
Not to brag, but I believe that our team has the brightest young midfield in all of English football, including the Premiership. We have some fine young talent there… to start with, Andrej Mlinaric. The 18 year old Mlinaric had a great season, rating as the finest midfielder on the team. He showed some nerves in the middle of the season, but I was able to give him some rest and keep him on board. Georgi Sarmov was also a quality central midfielder throughout the season, at the ripe age of 22. 20 year old Spanish loaner Antonio Barragan had a slow start, but became a reliable goal scorer from the right wing later in the season. 22 year old Frenchman David Perisset came on late in the season and had a fine end of season run for us in midfield. Meanwhile, our most consistent player from last season, 23 year old Icelander Palmi Rafn Palmason, saw a bit of a decrease in quality, but was still a very reliable player, and was able to up his assist output greatly this year. Our attacking midfielders also had good years, but none moreso than loaner Chris Eagles. Eagles finished 15th in the league in assists, and only played about half the season with us. Cherif Toure-Maman had a good if unspectacular season from the left side, as did Khalilou Fadiga. Both provided some assists, and Fadiga woke up late in the season after a slow start. Loaner Jonatan Berg was a disappointment, and was often too down on himself to produce. Young Rachid Tiberkanine was a grave disappointment at AMC, while Lee Whittington saw the field a bit late in the season, but did not impress.

Players out: AML Khalilou Fadiga, MLC Peter Gain, MC Palmi Rafn Palmason (?)
Players in: 24 year old AMRLC/F Sebastien Renouard (Metz Reserves), 29 year old AMR Douala (Sporting Lisbon), 26 year old AMR/ST Mamadou Diallo (Nantes Reserves), Nicolas Godemeche

Outlook: Our outlook improves on all fronts next season. Sarmov, Mlinaric, and Perisset will hopefully improve at midfield, and will be joined by Nicolas Godemeche, a fine looking young DM. Palmi Rafn Palmason is finally willing to talk contract with us, but I can’t afford to pay his $325k salary right now, especially after failing to get promoted. With the emergence on the reserves of new players Markus Gustafsson, Emil Samuelsson, and Michael Cia (all under age 20), we may not need more midfield help anyway, and will be keeping our offers to Palmason to a minimum. Toure-Maman will be counted on at left wing again, and Diallo and Douala should greatly improve our in-house right wing talent, and allow us to not have to loan in multiple players at that position. Sebastien Renouard should be a huge help at all 3 midfield and attacking midfield positions. Marcus Williams and Lee Whittington just don’t look like they’re going to improve enough to have the talent to stay with us much longer… while Rachid Tiberkanine looks to have the skill to be a fine player, but has yet to show it on the field. We’ll definitely look to loan in Barragan and Eagles again, if they’re available.

Striker
Simon Hagman. Simon Hagman, Simon Hagman, Simon Hagman. Without him, we’d be sunk. Matt Jansen helped out too, but everyone else did virtually nothing. Christie pouted because he couldn’t get on the field over Wonderboy, so he’s been listed. Loaner Besian Idrizaj looked positively mediocre, with just 5 goals and a 6.59 in 29 appearances. Honore Kabongo also has not been impressive, and was not again this season. Keith Barker struggled when called upon, while Florian Da Costa and Danny Reed continue to tear up the reserves… not the hardest competition in the world.

Players out: Matt Jansen (?)
Players in: Sebastien Renouard, Mamadou Diallo

Outlook: Our outlook is grim unless Simon Hagman can keep up his miraculous form. Christie has pretty much proven why Middlesbrough had had enough of him. We’re trying to re-sign Jansen, but again his demands may be too much for us… plus he’s going to be 31 soon. Honore Kabongo just hasn’t been the talent we’d expected, nor has Keith Barker. Danny Reed and Florian Da Costa just aren’t gonna get it done just yet either. Renouard and Diallo are flexible enough to play up front, but only time will tell if this is a good idea. Getting another high quality player here would be nice… as insurance for Hagman. If he goes, we could be as bad as a relegation candidate. If he stays and plays up to this year’s standards, we should win the league.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:48 PM   #92
Butter
Coordinator

Matt Jansen signs a new deal for us, and we get a bargain… he agrees to a fairly discounted $250k per year deal with us, meaning he’ll be on for us until near his 33rd birthday. We did throw in a minimum release clause of $4 million, just above his current value.

We make an important defensive signing in late May, as 27 year old Belgian DRC Pieter Collen agrees to join us from the West Ham Reserves. Collen looks like a dynamic defender, just the kind we need on the right side. He has few if any apparent weaknesses, but had fallen out of favor at Upton Park, and we were able to make the swoop for just an $80k transfer fee. Collen’s deal is worth about $700k over 3 seasons.

June ‘08
Cash balance: $3,240,770

Simon Hagman is unsurprisingly voted Fans’ Player of the Year.

We pick up $1.2M for TV rights for the upcoming season.

I also had asked the board to improve the training facilities a while back, and I have been informed that the work is complete. We now have “good” facilities instead of simply “adequate”.

We also pick up a new 2 year sponsorship deal worth $250k per year, replacing our old $200k per year deal.

The board has given me a couple of budget options again this season. They look like this:
Wage budget --- Transfer budget
$5,500,000 ------ $1,600,000
$6,000,000 ------ $1,100,000
$6,750,000 ------ $375,000

We go with the middle of the road option, which will give us nearly $1.5M in salary to work with once all of the players in/out get sorted come July 1st.

Euro 2008 Final
Holland 2:4 Portugal

July ‘08
Cash balance: $4,010,433

We welcome our new signings into camp, they are as follows:

28 year old DRC Pieter Collen, $80k fee to West Ham Utd., $230k per year contract through 2011.

24 year old D/DM Nicolas Godemeche, $190k per year contract through 2011.

29 year old AMR Douala, $180k per year contract through 2010.

24 year old AMRLC/F Sebastien Renouard, $230k per year contract through 2011.

26 year old AMR/ST Mamadou Diallo, $230k per year contract through 2011.

We look through the ranks of the unsigned and make a number of offers, including offers to loan players from the big boys.

It would appear that Portsmouth has been keeping an eye on us… they make bids on 3 of our players. $500k straight up for Aime Lavie, $400k + 50% of next sale PLUS 20 year old DM/AM Adam Lallana (who is valued at $2.1 million I might add) for Michael Cia, and $600k + 20% of next sale for Georgi Sarmov.

Some impressive offers there. I turn them all down.

July 3, Friendly #1 v. Southampton
We put Perisset and Cia together in central midfield today. Southampton strike first in the 33rd minute, and we’re unable to score the rest of the match. Not a bad showing, really. Both young midfielders rate a 7.
Loss, 1-0

Our first loaner in arrives, and it’s 22 year old Portsmouth reserve striker Chris Dagnall. Dagnall displays a lot of power, but also a deft touch in and around the box. I’ll be interested to see how he works out. He is in on a season long loan for just $60k.

We make a big free agent signing, as 23 year old former Monaco striker David Gigliotti agrees to a multi-year contract with the Posh worth upwards of $2 million (3 year deal, $650k per year, 10% wage rise per year). Gigliotti is a very good ball handler in and around the box. He possesses speed, and good finishing power. He also is very good on set pieces, an area we’ve lacked quality in. He should be outstanding as a pairing up front with Simon Hagman.

July 7, Friendly #2 v. Aston Villa
We break out the 4-2-3-1 today, with 5 new signings among the 6 non-defenders. Villa get on the board first, as veteran Javier Saviola hits a nice strike. Saviola strikes again just before halftime to make it 2-0. Chris Dagnall manages to get 2 yellow cards in the 2nd half to add insult to injury.
Loss, 2-0

New signing David Gigliotti injures his groin in that last match, and will miss the remainder of the preseason.

We make a $40k deal with Wolves to bring over DRC Rob Edwards. Edwards possesses above average defensive technique, and excellent mental and physical attributes. He should make a fine addition to the Posh defense.

22 year old AMRC Chris Eagles joins us on loan from Manchester United for the entire season. Eagles will get $220k of his salary from us for the season long loan. I am quite excited at this move, as Eagles was spectacular in our midfield last season.

Wigan make it known to the press that they’re willing to pay over $1.4 million to bring Michael Cia to the Premiership. The 19 year old midfielder “touted as the next Francesco Totti” is not going anywhere. I plan to play him this year. I issue a “hands-off” warning.

Derby County ask me how much I want for Aime Lavie. He is currently valued at $575k, so I tell them $2 million. They agree to that after a couple of days. Spanish club Xerez also throw their hat into the ring, offering me $2 million for the Congolese defender. As much as I like the 23 year old, I have several players to replace him (see next signing for instance). Lavie is a bit of a different case than Michael Cia… Cia is only 19 and still improving… plus he has some hype behind him. Lavie was our best defender last season, but we have made several signings to improve there, and Lavie’s contract is up at season’s end. He wants nearly $600k per year to re-sign, which isn’t going to happen. Might as well strike while the iron is hot.

We make yet another signing, this time paying a whopping $325k to Sochaux for the right to sign 24 year old Senegalese D/DM/ML Guirane N’Daw. N’Daw is a very very good defender who can play on the left or at center-back. He possesses a superb mind for the game, and his only drawback appears to be a tendency to be injured a bit too often. N’Daw signs for $300k per year through 2012.

Wigan offer us $2 million + 30% of next sale for Michael Cia. Seeing as I don’t need the money right now, I turn it down.

July 17, Friendly #3 v. Crystal Palace
Simon Hagman wastes no time scoring in his first pre-season game… Diallo with a nice steal, and his low cross for Hagman is buried in the 22nd minute. Our defense plays great, and we take the 1-0 win. Why we scheduled a friendly with a league opponent is beyond me… I think I just forgot that they were relegated after last year.
Win, 1-0

Aime Lavie agrees to a deal with Derby, and I just made us some transfer money. Time to hit the wire for another central defender!

Antonio Barragan rejects a loan offer to come to Peterborough… can’t say that I blame him, our roster is a bit heavy right now.

July 21, Friendly #4 @ Montpellier
We decide to take a 2 match tour of France since we have several former French league players on our squad. Montpellier get on the board first after Bredal-Thorsen fails to stop a close in shot… then they score again in the 40th on a straight on shot that he looked lost on. They strike again after halftime on a brilliant 30 yard strike. Montpellier was the surprise of French football last year, finishing 4th in their first year back in Ligue Un since 2003/04. This is a continental European competition caliber club we’re facing. We get 7 shots in the match, but they all sail off target, as we put up little resistance.
Loss, 3-0

Very bad news for us as Cherif Toure-Maman hurt his spine in the match… he’ll miss about 2 months while receiving specialist treatment.

With the signing of 2 high quality strikers, and possessing 3 halfway decent backups in the reserves, we decide to part ways with Malcolm Christie. I throw out a figure of $50k as a fee for the disgruntled striker, and get 2 takers. Barnsley and Bournemouth. Christie agrees to a deal with League One Barnsley, and the disgruntled 29 year old striker and his $240k per season salary is off the books.

July 25, Friendly #5 @ Sochaux
We start Mark Cousins to get a last look at the in-demand youngster before he heads back to the reserves. We run through a scoreless first half playing pretty well… Cousins looks nice in goal. In the 52nd, it’s Mamadou Diallo driving home a nice chip from 20 yards after a great ball forward by Keith Barker. Then in the 83rd, N’Daw’s cross finds Georgi Sarmov at the near post where he heads it home. Sochaux up their attack and get a goal back in the 85th minute. Then in the 87th, they strike again, slicing straight down the center of our defense. Cousins with a nice game, but it would’ve been more impressive if he could’ve kept one or more of those late goals out.
Draw, 2-2

Depth chart
We have a bunch of players on the senior roster right now. Probably more than is really healthy.

DL: Tommy Spurr, Guirane N’Daw, Lorenzo Davids
DC: Balazs Borbely, Guirane N’Daw, Pieter Collen, Rob Edwards, Malek Ait-Alia, David Van Den Broeck
DR: Pieter Collen, Rob Edwards, David Van Den Broeck, Malek Ait-Alia
ML: Cherif Toure-Maman, Sebastien Renouard, Andrej Mlinaric, Matt Jansen
MC: Andrej Mlinaric, Georgi Sarmov, Michael Cia, David Perisset, Nicolas Godemeche
MR: Chris Eagles, Douala, Mamadou Diallo, Georgi Sarmov, Sebastien Renouard
ST: Simon Hagman, David Gigliotti, Chris Dagnall, Matt Jansen, Honore Kabongo, Mamadou Diallo, Sebastien Renouard

It’s going to be HARD to keep everyone happy this year. My toughest choice is at keeper. Here are my choices:

Mark Cousins

Ivan Cuellar

Hakon Opdal

Just not sure who to pick! Cuellar performed better last season… Opdal is the “model professional” who seems to be able to motivate the team, and he looks better on paper than Cuellar… Cousins is in high demand, and looks promising, except for those pesky physical attributes. Thoughts?

August is upon us… it’s time to get into the season again and try once more to take The Posh to the promised land.

Last edited by Butter : 05-24-2006 at 06:47 PM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 04:52 PM   #93
dixieflatline
High School Varsity

Cousins indeed looks promising and I would try to get him as much time as I could in matches against weaker opponents and such. After looking at Opdal I would definitely give him another shot for the #1 job even though he didn't perform all that well last year. If he falters then give Cuellar a shot.
dixieflatline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 03:30 PM   #94
Butter
Coordinator

August ‘08
Cash balance: $4,972,422

With our newfound glut of defenders, we decide to part ways with Lorenzo Davids. He just doesn’t have what we need in a defender right now… he has a tendency to lose focus and composure when faced with a tough situation. Davids signs with Perugia of Italy’s Serie B for a $200k fee to us. He came over 2 years ago on loan from Feyenoord, and we signed him on a free transfer in the last offseason. Davids is only 21 years old, but we decide to get something for him now as his $120k per season contract is up at season’s end, and likely we were not going to re-sign him.

The League Cup First Round is drawn, and we’ll host League 1 Brentford on August 20th.

Aug. 3, Match 1 v. Sunderland (TV)
Our opening day lineup in the 4-2-3-1:
----------Hagman------------
Jansen—Renouard—Eagles
-----Cia----Godemeche-----
--------------------------------
Spurr-Borbely-Collen-Edwards
-------------Opdal------------
Jansen and Eagles with forward arrows, Cia and Godemeche with backward arrows.

A boring scoreless first half, but Opdal picks up another minor injury… must remind myself to have a physio check him out. Sunderland score shortly after the break off a corner kick. In the 56th, Godemeche with a nice ball to Kabongo… his shot at the left is stopped, but Hagman follows it up and scores. Opdal is forced out of the game for good in the 61st. Sunderland press through about the 75th minute, then are content to lay back and take a point.
Draw, 1-1, begin in 14th place

This is a better start than we’ve had the last couple of years. Just as I was preparing to allow Mark Cousins to go out on loan, I change my mind and keep him because of Opdal’s situation. Opdal has come up with strained ankle ligaments, and will be out 3-7 weeks for treatment.

The newspaper approaches me and asks why Rob Edwards had such a poor debut. He rated a 6 and really didn’t factor in the match, but ok. I say that “one performance doesn’t change a player’s ability” and that he will become an excellent signing in time. I notice after that comment, that Edwards is now “concerned that the manager may be expecting too much from him”. Pussy.

Championship promotion odds
Crystal Palace – 2:1
WBA, Peterborough, West Ham – 5:2
Wolves, Coventry – 3:1

Aug. 5, Match 2 @ #19 Leicester
We run Cousins out there today to see what happens. He makes a nice save on a clear breakaway in the 5th minute. In the 24th, though Leicester with some nifty passing through the defense, and a well-placed shot beats Cousins to the far post. I berate the team at halftime, because we’ve looked awful the first 135 minutes of the season. Perhaps a bit unsportingly, we get a good attack going as a Foxes players lies in pain in our box… Edwards with a great long ball for Hagman, and he hits a perfect chip from 15 yards to score over the keeper. 2 minutes later, Leicester score again as our defense allows far too easy passing in our own box. The Foxes score again in the 65th, as Cousins fails to smother the ball on 2 point blank shots, and the 3rd attempt is knocked home. We get one back in the 82nd, but it is ruled out for offsides… and that finishes us off. Van Den Broeck yields a penalty in the 90th minute, and the Foxes add insult to injury to make it 4-1.
Loss, 4-1, drop to 22nd

We had similar problems last season in digging ourselves out of an early hole, and it ultimately cost us automatic promotion. We’re repeating the cycle.

Cousins showed his inexperience and poor handling skills in the last match, almost proving that he is not ready for the #1 spot. He’ll be relegated to the bench in favor of Cuellar while Opdal is recuperating.

I tinker a bit with our tactics and set pieces, making sure we have people back in the right places, and that we have all angles of our set pieces covered. I also want to try to fine tune our tactics, to have the right people taking long shots, and the right people holding up the ball.

Aug. 9, Match 3 v. #2 Wolves
A slow moving match, but Chris Eagles causes havoc in the Wolves backline… so much so that the man marking him picks up 2 yellows before the 40th minute, so we go into the break a man up. Gigliotti comes on for Hagman in the 68th, then 2 minutes later Georgi Sarmov with a superb chip over the defense right to Gigliotti’s toe… he controls it and slots it home for his first Posh goal. We back into a defensive stance a bit, and hold on for the single goal win. An important one to get on track. Georgi Sarmov with a well-deserved MoM award here, he was superb in midfield.
Win, 1-0, up to 13th

I resolve to check out those tactics before games a bit more thoroughly from now on.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:41 PM   #95
Butter
Coordinator

Matt Jansen suffered a dislocated jaw in our last match, and he’ll miss 3-5 weeks of action. A newspaperman approaches me, and I tell him that “we’ll miss Matt but I feel we’ve got adequate cover”.

Aug. 12, Match 4 @ #12 West Ham United
Edwards with a terrible ball in the 8th minute, and it leads to a wide open 8 yard shot that Cuellar is helpless to deal with. 1-0, Hammers. Edwards picks up a yellow in the 19th minute, and I just go ahead and pull him. In the 27th minute, Cia’s attempted pass is deflected, but the Hammer defender dallies on the ball, allowing Gigliotti to swoop in and score. Off the ensuing kickoff, Gigliotti again showing his class… he gets an interception in midfield, races to the right, then crosses early towards the penalty spot, where Hagman hits a superb volley into the goal. 2-1, Posh. Gigliotti hits the bench at halftime thanks to a minor injury. With West Ham pushing up late, Hagman is left all alone across the center line, rounds the keeper and scores his 2nd of the game. Cia’s 2nd assist of the game, and the young Italian is looking good early in the season.
Win, 3-1, up to 9th place

A very nice win… Gigliotti and Hagman partnered very well up front, then Hagman with a typical quality move late to finish it off. Makes me wonder if I shouldn’t consider switching to the 4-4-2 full-time to get Hagman and Gigliotti on the field together more often.

The board comments on the quality of this win. They and the fans are expecting us to achieve a respectable league position this season, whatever that means. My contract is up at year’s end, so I need to show them something.

Aug. 16, Match 5 @ #6 Millwall
We start Dagnall and Diallo up front today to give Hagman and Gigliotti some early season rest. Unfortunately, Dagnall goes out injured in the 12th minute, so Honore Kabongo is pressed into action. Pieter Collen with a red card offense in the 20th minute, taking down a player on a breakaway… so we go a man down and a goal down on the penalty kick. Millwall have the look of Manchester United today, just picking us apart over and over again. They score a 2nd goal just prior to halftime to go up 2-0, then to open the 2nd half they score off a corner kick to make it 3-0. Down 3-0 with 40 minutes to play, frankly I’d settle for anything that looks like we didn’t give up. And in the 53rd, we get it, as Mamadou Diallo picks off a backpass and scores a nice goal. Then in the 67th, Diallo does it again, this time just attacking the keeper on a backpass as though he were a lame antelope, picking him apart and scoring a 2nd goal into an open net. We bring Hagman on for the final 8 minutes in the slim hopes of netting an equalizer, but Millwall do a good job of backing down and slamming the door shut.
Loss, 3-2, drop to 12th

Aug. 20, League Cup First Round v. Brentford (#22 in League One)
In the 24th minute, Douala with a nice cross to the middle, where Georgi Sarmov heads it home. 8 minutes later, Douala with another great ball, this time Hagman is there to strike it home. I’m making sure we get out of the 1st round this year. Just 2 minutes later, Rachid Tiberkanine’s call up from the reserves pays off as Sebastien Renouard’s chip finds the Dutchman open, and he scores it. We get Hagman out after we go up 3-0. Rob Edwards converts a PK off a handball in the box in the 47th minute to make it 4-0. Good to see Edwards playing well, as he struggled early in the season. We get another PK in the 79th minute thanks to Keith Barker being chopped down in the box, and Rob Edwards converts it as well. Douala scores off a 20 yard free kick that deflects off the wall and in to complete the rout. Brentford grab a goal in the 88th minute to give them some hope to cling to for the remainder of their season. Edwards picks up a 10 in defense.
Win, 6-1, advance to League Cup Second Round

It’s noted that the attendance of 2,857 for this game is the lowest for a match since I’ve been manager. Not a lot of League Cup fever in the ‘Borough.

We get another easy draw for the 2nd round, getting a home game vs. League Two Boston United. That game will take place on September 17th.

Aug. 23, Match 6 v. #13 Leeds
In the 28th minute, we turn the tide of the game after suffering a long Leeds attack, Collen with a steal in midfield then a great ball ahead to Hagman… Simon collects it, draws out the keeper, then slots it home inside the left post. Terrific placement on Hagman’s 6th goal of the season. Just before halftime, we get another good chance… this time Diallo wins a 50-50 ball and breaks down the right… he has the ball poked away, but Hagman is inside the box, he wins the ball, and rifles it home! 2-0 Posh at halftime… and we were pretty much dominated in the first half. We switch to our new shut down tactic, a 4-1-4-1, with Godemeche as the holding DM. In the 74th minute, we take a short corner (again thanks to a previous tactic switch)… Sarmov turns and swings one in… Leeds can’t get a finger to it, and the cross ends up going in! Sarmov has been on a terrific run of form, and it continues with his 2nd goal of the season.
Win, 3-0, up to 10th place, trail 1st place QPR by 5 pts.

I think we need another central defender or two… it seems like we HAVE to play Borbely every match, and either Collen or Edwards. Edwards frankly has been a bit flaky, and Collen just had his first really good match of the season. Both could be very solid on the right, so a backup DC that I have faith in would be a great help, as I still worry about playing Ait-Alia in anything resembling an important game.

Marcus Williams complains to the press about his lack of playing time. He was a big signing for us in my first season, as I paid $26k for him, which was half of my transfer budget in 05/06. I decide to sell him to Burnley, who need some help in League One. They agree to my $100k transfer fee request, and we’re soon rid of reserve D/M-L Marcus Williams. He made 47 appearances over 4 seasons, averaging a 6.75 rating, with 3 assists.

Aug. 25, Match 7 @ #18 Northampton
The crazy August matchload just keeps on coming. We stick with attacking tactics against our newly promoted bitter rivals from just down the pike. A fairly uneventful first half sees Kabongo and Mlinaric both forced out with injuries. After some nice work in the 2nd half, we finally break through, as Tommy Spurr’s great early cross finds Eagles streaking into the middle, and he heads it home from 7 yards out. Our cause is made easier when Northampton are reduced to 10 men with 10 minutes to go as a Northampton defender is sent off with a 2nd yellow for bringing down Gigliotti.
Win, 1-0, up to 5th place – 3 pts. behind 1st place QPR

Mlinaric will be out 4-8 weeks with a badly sprained ankle, while Honore Kabongo suffered a broken leg, and he’ll miss 4-6 months of action. Ouch. We’re already short Jansen, so this hurts quite a bit. Leaves us with very few options on the left, as Toure-Maman and Jansen are also suffering through long term injuries. We’re forced to the transfer list to look up some left wingers.

We finish August up on a good note, with a Cup win and a 4-1-2 league record to our credit.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:28 PM   #96
Butter
Coordinator

After several loan offers are turned down flat by the players we want, and after a few inquiries are dismissed out of hand, we finally nab the player we think will solidify our back 4. 24 year old Iranian center-back Rasoul Mirtoroghi signs a $500k per season deal through 2011, after we pay Charlton Athletic $700,000 up front, and $1.8 million over the next 18 months. By far the biggest transfer fee we’ve ever agreed to, but Mirtoroghi looks more than worth it. He should be a solid fixture at center back alongside Borbely for years to come. He wasn’t playing for Charlton, and was more than happy to come over rather than sitting on the reserve team for another season or two. Mirtoroghi remarks to the press at his happiness at being able to play regular first-team football after being “frozen out” at The Valley.

Leeds ask me how much we want for defender Tommy Spurr. Spurr is not for sale, but I respond with a $2 million price tag just to see how far they’re willing to go.

September ‘08
Cash balance: $3,266,737

Even after the big transfer, we’ve still got plenty of cash on hand, we’re still over $1.2M below our wage budget, and have over $500k in transfer money for January if needed.

Sept. 6, Match 8 v. #12 Cardiff
Mirtoroghi in his Posh debut today. In the 16th minute, Douala nets his team-leading 4th assist with another fine cross from the right, and Hagman heads it home for his 8th goal of the season already, and 7th in 7 league games. We have a midfield breakdown in the 54th, giving the ball away far too easily, then Borbely gets confused and loses his man, allowing an easy shot and goal for the Welsh side. In the 69th, another mental lapse allows an easy chance… Sarmov’s attempted header back to Borbely is instead headed right into the run of a Cardiff striker, and he puts it away to give Cardiff a 2-1 lead. Just 2 minutes later, we go up a man, as a Cardiff defender is shown his 2nd yellow of the match. We are unable to take advantage, however, and Cardiff hold on for the win.
Loss, 2-1, drop to 10th

I thought our defensive troubles were a thing of the past, but it was our midfield that let us down today. Sarmov and Cia with poor matches both out of our 4-2-3-1, and we couldn’t overcome some sloppy passing that drops us back out of the playoff zone.

Sept. 9, Match 9 @ #1 QPR
A good start for us, we keep pressure up and prevent QPR from getting into the box. In the 42nd, we get our breakthrough, as N’Daw sends in a fine ball to Gigliotti, and he slots it home. Off the ensuing kickcoff, Perisset with a steal, then a pass to Gigliotti, who flicks it on for Hagman… and he buries it! Hagman just can’t stop scoring. We keep our performance going in the 53rd, as Gigliotti’s 30 yard free kick is chipped perfectly to the run of Mamadou Diallo, who heads it in past the sprawling keeper for a 3-0 lead. A terrific road win against the league leaders. Might have to keep this 4-4-2 going with performances like this.
Win, 3-0, up to 6th place

We’re just getting killed with injuries, as Rob Edwards and Douala end up on the trainer’s table with fairly serious injuries… which means we’re running short of players despite having a large senior roster. The following players are hurt:
GK Mark Cousins
AMR Douala
DRC Rob Edwards
ST Chris Dagnall
D/M Andrej Mlinaric
AM/F Honore Kabongo
AM/F Sebastien Renouard
GK Hakon Opdal
AM Cherif Toure-Maman

I think this all may have to do with me cutting the intensive pre-season fitness training a bit short. We bring on a couple more skilled physios to try and help our plight… which brings us to a total staff now of 19… 10 coaches, 7 physios, and 2 scouts.

Sept. 13, Match 10 @ #8 Blackburn Rovers
Former Posh loaner Matt Derbyshire starts up front for Blackburn. He has 2 goals in 6 appearances for them this season. In the 31st minute, Robbie Savage strikes home a 20+ yard free kick, as Cuellar barely moves on it. We switch to our 4-2-3-1 at halftime, and in the 58th we go a man up, as Eagles is taken down about 1 yard outside the box… and the Rover defender gets the red card. Even pushing an extra striker into attack doesn’t help, as we offer up another weak performance.
Loss, 1-0, drop to 9th

We can’t hold our position in the top 6 right now… seems like our performances are up and down.

Sept. 17, League Cup Second Round v. Boston United
Danny Reed comes up from the reserves to start at striker today. Former Posh player Sean St. Ledger starts at the back for the Pilgrims. We dominate the first half, but it remains scoreless through 45. Painfully, the game remains scoreless through 90, and we’re forced into extra time. In the 2nd session of extra time, we get a break. Godemeche’s attempted cross eludes the keeper and caroms back off the crossbar… Georgi Sarmov is there to apply the finish and we go up 1-0 in the 106th minute. We finally look dominant in the final 15 minutes… but I tell the team that “despite the win your performance was awful”.
Win, 1-0, advance to Third Round

Sept. 20, Match 11 v. #12 Stoke
Stoke stays with us early on… but in the 40th minute, we get a nice chance. Mirtoroghi’s long ball is flicked on by Gigliotti, and Diallo is all alone from the right, and he powers it home from inside 8 yards. Sadly, Stoke are able to get the goal back in the 59th minute, off a counter-attack started by a Guirane N’Daw giveaway. N’Daw makes amends in the 64th, though, as he makes a steal, then crosses quickly for Gigliotti, who buries it past the Potters’ keeper. In the 72nd, Gigliotti with another nice move… he then tries to center for Jansen, but Jansen has his legs taken out from under him, and the penalty is given. Jansen takes it himself and buries it to put the game away. Jansen has been struggling, hopefully this’ll get him on track. In the 83rd, Tommy Spurr’s long free kick is half-volleyed in by Georgi Sarmov. Sarmov’s 4th goal of the season. Rasoul Mirtoroghi picks up his 2nd MoM award in 3 starts.
Win, 4-1, up to 4th place

We now trail 1st place Crystal Palace by 5 points, and 2nd place Wolves by just 3.

We get a poor draw for the League Cup Third Round, as we’ll have to travel to Craven Cottage to take on EPL outfit Fulham on October 22nd.

Sept. 23, Match 12 v. #5 Nottingham Forest
We put Gigliotti at AMC today in our 4-2-3-1 to see what he does there. Forest is sort of like the old folks home for the EPL, as they have Dean Kiely, Claude Makelele, Claus Jensen, and Juan Pablo Angel in their lineup. In the 17th, Hagman is set loose by a nice Guirane N’Daw long ball… and he scores his 10th of the season in style. In the 22nd, it’s N’Daw setting things up again, as his cross finds Gigliotti in the center of the box, and he powers a header in past the Forest keeper to make it 2-0. We pull Hagman and Diallo at halftime with minor injuries. We also switch to our counter-attacking 4-4-2. In the 64th, Gigliotti with a great header on for Godemeche, who is clean through on the keeper… his shot is deflected, but Gigliotti is there to finish the rebound. Gigliotti’s 6th of the season makes it 3-0. Mirtoroghi is named MoM yet again, as he continues to dominate in central defense for us.
Win, 3-0, up to 3rd – 3 pts. behind Crystal Palace for 1st

I take note that right back Adilio Augustin has been named man of the match for the last 3 Peterborough Reserve contests. His heading is still well below what I need a defender to have, but he is only 20… maybe there’s value in him yet.

Sept. 27, Match 13 @ #1 Crystal Palace
We come out in our standard defensive 4-4-2. In the 8th minute, our deadly counter-attack strikes, as N’Daw’s ball is headed down by Diallo, then Gigliotti with a well-placed shot to sneak it past the keeper for a 1-0 lead. Diallo keeps picking up a nagging injury in the first half. He comes out at the half, as we maintain a 1-0 lead. Great action in the 2nd half, as Cuellar makes 2 outstanding saves, while on the other end both Hagman and Gigliotti are robbed on world-class stops as well. A breakdown in the 85th minute leads to the equalizer, as Perisset’s pass to Mirtoroghi is intercepted, then Borbely misses an interception of his own, and the Eagles earn the point. Cuellar’s stellar game is ruined by some late defensive ineptitude. Mirtoroghi makes it 4 for 5 in MoM awards.
Draw, 1-1, up to 2nd

We stay 3 points behind Palace, but leap into 2nd past Wolves… at least until they play their featured Sunday TV match at Coventry. Wolves win that matchup 5-3, and jump back into 2nd.

Leeds approach me about taking over their managerial post. I turn it down… not interested. Though it is interesting to note how far Leeds have fallen since their Champions League appearance just a few years ago.

We finish September a very good 3-1-2 in the league, with a League Cup win as well.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:29 PM   #97
Butter
Coordinator

October ‘08
Cash balance: $2,956,198

Guirane N’Daw wins Player of the Month honors for September, for his 8.25 average in 4 appearances, including 4 assists. Rasoul Mirtoroghi finishes 3rd for the honor.

Much like last year, our first fixture of the month is moved due to international call-ups. This results in a 2+ week break for us at the beginning of October. Several of our players are returning to health, so this development is quite welcome. As a result of the layoff, we’re dumped into 6th place.

Oct. 14, Match 14 @ #15 West Bromwich Albion
Hakon Opdal returns between the posts today. Gigliotti and Hagman both get breakaways early, but it is Hagman getting the first goal off a nice pass from Rob Edwards… Hagman buries his 10th league goal of the season. In the 37th, WBA score off a free kick… a nice ball to the middle is headed down and volleyed home by Ze Eduardo of WBA… his 10th goal of the season. Again, a goal is scored thanks to some lax midfield passing… Godemeche’s attempted pass back to Borbely is errant, and ends up in an easy goal for WBA. After we shift to a more attacking style, WBA score again in the 66th, when Borbely is out of position. WBA make it 4-1 in the 78th. Gigliotti has a goal disallowed late… a terrible performance by Opdal and the entire defense.
Loss, 4-1, drop to 10th place

We’re still just 5 points out of first, but we’ve lost 5 games out of 14. Frankly, with this lineup, we shouldn’t lose 5 games all season. Not sure what the problem is. Opdal didn’t much look interested in playing today. He rated a 5 until late, when he pulled 2 good saves out of his ass and bumped his rating up to a 7.

We drop to 12th as we pick up another game-in-hand on the field, thanks to our Sunday TV match against Hull.

Oct. 19, Match 15 v. #11 Hull City
After a dreadfully boring first half, we switch to our defensive 4-4-2. Our play seems to improve, but both Gigliotti and Hagman are essentially non-entities in this match… and we all know that means curtains. Hull play a typically tight game and come away with the point.
Draw, 0-0. remain 12th

I decide we’re going to stick with the 4-4-2 counter-attacking style for all matches now. If nothing else, it should help us keep from losing games… and with Hagman and Gigliotti able to play together in most matches, it should help us get our best 2 attacking players on the field at all times.

Oct. 22, League Cup Third Round @ Fulham (10th in Premier League)
Not much going on in the first half… Fulham dominate the game, but it remains 0-0. Our defense breaks down in the 79th minute, and Fulham are able to sneak one past Cuellar to take the lead. Borbely and Mirtoroghi both pick up minor knocks in the late stages of this match.
Loss, 1-0, out of League Cup

Mirtoroghi should not miss significant time, while Borbely will miss 1-2 weeks with a mild ankle strain.

Oct. 25, Match 16 @ #13 Sheffield United
Mark Cousins with the start in goal today. Another defensive lapse, as Mirtoroghi’s attempted header to Cousins is intercepted, and passed to an unmarked striker at the back post for the easy goal in the 10th minute. Cousins with a fine save in the 60th minute, but he can’t corral the shot, and the ball is passed back to the spot for a vicious 15 yard shot that goes in. In the 63rd we get one back, as Michael Cia’s corner kick finds Gigliotti at the near post… he’s able to control it and score to make it 2-1. Sheffield United put it away in the 85th, as a cross and volley get by Cousins to make it 3-1. Our downward spiral continues.
Loss, 3-1, drop to 14th

Again, an early season losing streak may well cost us any chance we have of contending for one of the top two places. We now sit 7 points behind 2nd place and 8 behind 1st. Not an insurmountable task, but with 11 teams between us and them, we definitely have our work cut out for us.

Oct. 28, Match 17 @ #22 Oldham
In the 2nd minute, we get a great chance, as Hagman slides a nice pass to Jansen, who strikes it home. Jansen with a nice return to his striker role. Hagman in the 12th makes a nice steal, then slides one past the keeper to give us a 2-0 lead. Jansen with a steal in the 28th, and he takes it right from the keeper and scores into an open net from 40 yards out. Off the ensuing kickoff, Hagman steals the 2nd pass, then runs past 2 defenders and chips it into the net. We’re destroying Oldham in a nice confidence-building performance. In the 59th, Mlinaric’s cross finds Sarmov, and he heads it inside the right post for his 5th goal of the season, and our 5th of the match.
Win, 5-0, up to 12th – 2 pts. behind Coventry for 6th place
Old 05-31-2006, 11:00 AM   #98
Butter
Coordinator

We finish October a disappointing 1-1-2 in the league, and get dumped out of the League Cup. But to be fair, 5 of our last 6 matches have been on the road, and we’ve never been a great road team.

November ‘08
Cash balance: $2,473,582

Nov. 1, Match 18 v. #10 Watford
We stick with our 4-4-2 counter-attack here… but it’s not very effective. We struggle to create much of anything in the first half, and switch to attacking tactics for the 2nd half. In the 51st, Diallo with a great cross to Matt Jansen who heads it in for a 1-0 lead. 2 minutes later, Watford enact basically the same play and level the match at 1. The rest of the game zips by, and we’re left with yet another disappointing result.
Draw, 1-1, up to 12th – 3 pts. from 6th place

Time to examine our tactics again. It’s usually good to break out of a funk like we’re in. We decide to try the 4-4-2 diamond attacking “v2” in the tactics library. It uses short, quick passing, and skillful marking to keep the opponent under pressure. Should work well with our skilled midfield.

Nov. 5, Match 19 v. #10 Coventry
In the 15th minute, David Gigliotti with a wicked strike from the left side of the area, knocking a 12 yarder in off the post. 2 minutes later, Jansen’s corner kick is headed in by Hagman, and we lead 2-0. In the 26th minute, Hagman with a shot that the keeper parries, but Gigliotti finishes the rebound… his 10th of the year gives us a 3-0 lead. Chris Dagnall nearly scores his first Posh goal in the 60th minute, but it is ruled out for offsides. Mirtoroghi is sent off in the 72nd minute, and Coventry net their first goal in the 74th. We back into a defensive position, and hold the lead the rest of the way.
Win, 3-1, up to 7th place – behind 6th place West Ham by +2 on GD

Nov. 15, Match 20 v. #20 Reading
Florian Da Costa has shown some marked improvement on the reserve squad, so we bring him up to start alongside Hagman today…. With Gigliotti waiting in the wings. We control the ball in the first half, but fail to convert any chances into goals. Da Costa seems a bit nervous. Gigliotti comes on for him in the 65th minute. We continue to control possession, but can’t get any good chances. Finally in the 87th, Gigliotti hits a 25 yard free kick straight into the back of the net for a 1-0 lead! Reading finally shift into gear, but it’s too late.
Win, 1-0, up to 5th place

Now we’re just 2 points from 1st place Crystal Palace. The top 10 teams are all within 4 points of each other… and as far down as #17 QPR is only 9 points out of first. A very tight grouping with no dominant team so far this season.

Our new short passing scheme in the last match dominated Reading. We held over 60% possession, and Reading was in our zone less than 5% of the entire match.

Matt Jansen suffers a dislocated shoulder in mid-week, and he’ll be out 2 months or so. Jansen has had a difficult year, to say the least.

Nov. 22, Match 21 @ #21 Plymouth Argyle
If Hagman weren’t already on pace to score 30+ goals again, I’d almost say he were in a slump. In the 23rd, some very nifty quick passing finds Spurr heading down to Eagles, who slips a ball in to Gigliotti… Gigliotti’s first time shot goes in, and we take a 1-0 lead on David’s 12th of the season. 2 minutes later, Renouard takes it down the left, then centers for Gigliotti, who volleys it home. The Frenchman with 13 goals on the season now, just one behind Hagman. Argyle is actually lucky they weren’t down 4-0 at the half, as both Hagman and Eagles were robbed on point blank chances. Plymouth come out hot, and score in the 50th minute on a well-placed shot past Cuellar. But we’re able to hold off any more chances, despite playing pretty poorly in the second half we win.
Win, 2-1, up to 2nd place - 2 pts. behind 1st place Derby

As I suspected, one good run of play has found us near the top of the table. 13 points from a possible 15 has found us just inches away from being on top… hopefully for good. Our last game of the month finds us fighting yet another team near the bottom of the table…. Then our first game of December finds us playing the team we’re chasing.

After his recent appearance, I decide to start training young midfielder Michael Cia as an AMC.

Nov. 29, Match 22 v. #24 Swansea
We give Hagman another day off here, again starting Da Costa this time alongside Gigliotti. We get off to a nice start in the 4th minute, as Collen’s free kick finds Sarmov, who heads it down to Gigliotti… his low driven shot goes in just inside the left post from 18 yards for a goal. In the 28th minute, it’s Sarmov with another great ball to Gigliotti, who beats his marker, then drills a hard shot into the upper 90… his 15th of the season puts us up 2. Sarmov continues his fine game from the AMC spot, as Da Costa has the ball tackled away in the box, the ball bobbles to Sarmov who strikes it home from 25 yards out. We hold on for the remainder, and take an easy win.
Win, 3-0, remain 2nd – 2 pts. behind Derby

We finish November an undefeated 4-1-0, rocketing from 13th to 2nd place in the table.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:29 PM   #99
John Galt
Pro Starter

Just wanted to let you know that I'm enjoying reading along.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:16 PM   #100
Butter
Coordinator

December ‘08
Cash balance: $2,160,360

Balazs Borbely finishes 2nd in Player of the Month voting. Tommy Spurr wins Young Player of the Month of November voting, averaging an 8 rating in 3 November starts. And I unsurprisingly pick up the Manager of the Month award, my 8th manager of the month honor in 4 seasons.

The FA Cup draw is held, and we’ll visit either League Two Bristol Rovers or Conference Nat’l club Macclesfield in the Third Round in early January.

Dec. 6, Match 23 @ #1 Derby County
The Rams waste no time getting on the board, as Cuellar can’t stop a hard 10 yard effort. We quickly switch to the same 4-4-2 diamond style, but a defensive posture. It works in the 20th, as Sarmov gets loose on the counter-attack, and slides a perfect centering pass to Hagman, who tucks it away for his 15th goal of the season. In the 34th, Sarmov picks out Hagman on the breakaway again… but his shot is saved. The ensuing corner from Godemeche is headed by Borbely… and he’s fouled! A penalty is given! Former Posh defender Aime Lavie guilty of the foul, and Rob Edwards will take the PK. Edwards is rated a perfect 20 on PK’s, and he doesn’t disappoint here! 2-1, Posh. Sadly, Derby strike back in the 43rd, on a well taken 25 yard shot off a deflection from Mirtoroghi. Then, in stoppage time, it’s Sarmov again… this time, Sarmov with a great low ball to Perisset on the edge of the six, and the Frenchman scores inside the left post! Perisset’s first Posh goal comes as we try to figure out which of our MC’s can play at DMC and AMC… Perisset is playing well at AMC today, and caps it with a goal to give us a 3-2 halftime lead. Derby get the equalizer just 3 minutes into the 2nd half, as a cross eludes Cuellar and gets tapped in. Just 2 minutes later, Derby make it 4-3, as Cuellar fails to corral an initial 10 yarder, allowing a rebound goal to put us behind. Hagman on a breakaway in the 63rd, but his shot is saved, and the rebound cleared. We bump up our attack a bit, and Derby just score in behind it in the 74th to make it 5-3. Obviously, the Rams’ team talk helped them out at halftime, and ours didn’t. Our defense was shredded in the 2nd half. Cuellar went from a 9 rating at halftime, to a 5 by game’s end.
Loss, 5-3, remain 2nd – 5 pts. behind Derby

I take another look at reserve 19 year old midfielder Emil Samuelsson, as it’s noted that Plymouth are thinking of bidding for the young Swede… and wow, has he developed. He has 20’s in crossing, passing, technique, and concentration, and 16’s in dribbling, first touch, heading, anticipation, and positioning. He’s not weak (under a 10 rating) in any I bring him up to the senior club and decide to try him out here and there. He’s most comfortable in the 3 midfield positions, but is also “competent” at DM… so he’ll probably play some there.

As I prepare to play Samuelsson, I also prepare to bring in amazing looking young player Nathan Bennett from Doncaster. Bennett can play DM or at DR. He is only 17 years old, and already is at 12 or above in many key categories, including all the important physical attributes. I pay Doncaster $100k + 25% of next sale for the youngster. Bennett agrees to an $80k per season contract through 2012. Bennett will join us on 1/1/09.

Dec. 9, Match 24 @ #18 Sunderland
Play goes back and forth early, and Cuellar does well to keep us scoreless. In the 36th, Collen with a great long diagonal ball to Mlinaric… he crosses short for Sarmov, who unleashes his right foot and buries a shot into the top left corner for a 1-0 Posh lead. Sarmov’s 7th goal of the season in all competitions. Just 3 minutes later, the Black Cats’ keeper misplays a backpass, coming out a bit too far, and Gigliotti skins him and scores into an open goal. In the 56th, Sunderland get a goal back, as our defense fails to clear a ball into the box, and it’s scored in behind Cuellar. Gigliotti restores our 2 goal advantage in the 71st, as he wins a ball in midfield, then turns and blows past his man, then scores a brilliant 20 yard chip shot. Less than a minute later, Sunderland score again on an easy cross and header in past an injured Borbely. Sunderland threaten several times late, but our defense is able to weather the storm.
Win, 3-2, remain 2nd – 5 pts. behind Derby

I think the Florian Da Costa experiment is coming to a close. I’ve run him out there 3 times now, and I don’t think he’s even put a shot on target yet. Back to the reserves with ye!

I’m still trying to figure out why Hakon Opdal never seems to be able to perform. The guy looks great in training. Then you put him on the field, and he goes kaput.

Macclesfield Town win their FA Cup replay with Bristol Rovers, so the #1 team in the Conference will be our opponent in the Third Round of the Cup.

Dec. 13, Match 25 v. #17 Leicester
Hakon Opdal gets a start in goal today. And it starts horribly, as the Foxes shred our defense with some quick passing, then a 15 yard shot gets past Opdal inside the left post for a 1-0 Leicester lead after 3 minutes. We barely threaten the rest of the half, and I tell the team they’re letting each other down at halftime. In the 59th, we break through, as Simon Hagman finally gets back on the board, after a nice pass from Chris Dagnall found his diagonal run. We play better through the end of the match, but can’t find the game winner.
Draw, 1-1, drop to 4th – 7 pts. behind 1st place Derby, 1 behind 2nd place West Ham

Right winger Douala requests to be transferred since he has been mostly not playing since returning from injury several weeks ago. We get a few offers as we start the bidding at $300k, and are able to bump it up to $350k before French team Grenoble finally signs the disgruntled Cameroonian. Douala had 1 goal and 4 assists in 5 appearances… but 1 goal and 3 assists of that was in our first League Cup match.

Hull announce that they’re ready to offer me $2.5 million for Georgi Sarmov. I issue a hands-off warning… he has been our best midfielder this season.

Dec. 20, Match 26 @ #9 Wolves
We suffer through an extremely boring first half… then Wolves start laying it to us to begin the 2nd half. Somehow we manage to hold them off… but can’t get much going ourselves. Hagman and Gigliotti somehow fail to score, and it stands as a draw.
Draw, 0-0, remain 5th – 7 pts. behind 1st place Derby

We start fielding offers for former Ajax and current Peterborough reserve defender Adilio Augustin from several Dutch teams… we brought Augustin in on a free transfer 2+ years ago… but he has never really developed as quickly as we hoped. So, I negotiate a couple of offers to $50k + 30% of next sale, and we’re able to part with the 20 year old fairly quickly.

Dec. 26, Match 27 v. #3 West Ham United
Both teams are tight early on, but we gradually start playing better and better… then in the 38th, Gigliotti volleys an errant Hagman shot into the back of the net to give us a 1-0 lead. Then in the 43rd, Hagman decides he can’t let the Frenchman out-do him, and Mlinaric’s cross is headed in by the Swede to give us a 2 goal halftime cushion. In the 55th minute, Hagman with a great header onto the run of AMC David Perisset, and Perisset scores his 2nd goal of the season with a nice low shot. West Ham pick up a late goal in the 82nd with a 20 yard direct free kick that goes in past Cuellar, but they get no closer as we win this key promotion 6-pointer. Andrej Mlinaric wins MoM, with 2 assists… he now has 4 assists in just 8 appearances this season.
Win, 3-1, up to 3rd – trail Derby by 4 pts. and 2nd place Sheff. Utd. by 1 point

Cherif Toure-Maman now complains to the press about his lack of playing time… but until recently, he was injured. I assure him he will get his chance… because he is a very talented player.

Dec. 30, Match 28 v. #8 Millwall
After we apply consistent early pressure, Mlinaric’s early cross finds Gigliotti… his header is stopped, but Hagman finishes the rebound. Hagman and Gigliotti now both with 18 goals on the season. It stays that way until the 86th minute, when Rob Edwards is whistled for a “dubious” foul on the edge of the box… Millwall strike home the free kick, and it ends in a 1-1 draw. Tough decision there to cost us 2 points.
Draw, 1-1, drop to 4th place, at 49 pts

Standings at the end of the year:
1. Derby – 52 pts.
2. Sheffield United – 51
3. Blackburn R. – 50
4. Peterborough United – 49
5. Crystal Palace – 49
6. Cardiff – 48
7. West Ham – 46
8. Watford – 44
9. Millwall – 44
10. Hull – 43

We finish December 2-3-1, but that one loss was a huge one. We’ve lost just once in the league since Oct. 28th.

January ‘09
Cash balance: $2,633,295

With the new year brings us some new cash… we dump Adilio Augustin and Douala for $400k combined, but bring in just 2 new players… both young reservists. The most promising of which is Nathan Bennett from Doncaster. Bennett is just 17, but is already a fairly good looking young player. He’ll probably need a couple of years of seasoning, but should get his chance within the next couple of seasons at DM.

The nice thing about this Bosman signing period is that we don’t really need anyone, nor do we desperately need to re-sign anyone. The 3 players whose contracts are up at season’s end are Cherif Toure-Maman, Malek Ait-Alia, and Balazs Borbely. Of these 3, I would like to re-sign Borbely and Toure-Maman. Borbely’s demands are a bit high, while Toure-Maman is not convinced he wants to stay due to his lack of playing time this season. I offer Borbely about a $600k per year contract for 2 more seasons, and a couple of days later am informed that the rock of our central defense agrees to stay around for 2 more seasons, for a total contract worth of about $1.8 million.

Jan. 3, FA Cup Third Round @ Macclesfield (#1 in Conference National
We are 1-6 favorites for this match, which puts Macclesfield at 10-1 underdogs for a win… very large odds in soccer. Oddly enough, 34 year old US defender Kerry Zavagnin is the Macclesfield captain today. The Macclesfield keeper puts in a Herculean effort to keep the tiny side in the game through halftime. This is the kind of game that “big” clubs like us tend to lose in the Cup tourney. Luckily for us, we don’t let that happen. In the 79th, Van Den Broeck’s early cross finds Keith Barker at the near post, and he heads it in past the keeper. Hakon Opdal picks up an injury late, and has to come out. Keith Barker nips in and picks up a 2nd goal off a nice pass from Eagles in stoppage time to make it look a bit easier than it was.
Win, 2-0, advance to FA Cup Fourth Round

We get about the easiest draw possible for the Fourth Round, getting a home game against one of only 2 remaining League Two outfits… Tranmere Rovers will visit London Road on January 24th.