Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-12-2003, 12:42 PM   #1
John Galt
Pro Starter

Weekly QotM

This week 6 quotes were submitted for review. They were all added to the QotM. The quotes are:

Subby is a hellenistic term for a swine pawed bearded clam

So, I'm looking in the Dynasty Forum ... and I can't help but notice all the Hattrick dynasties, but I don't remember ever hearing about this game on the General Forum ...

I assume that jesus was an incorrect answer?

"To live in fear is better not to live at all"

"There are no absolutes, whoops I just created one"

I can't wait to impregnante my wife so I can go back to boxer-briefs again!

Overall, I think these are the probably the least funny of the batches that I've reviewed. Hopefully, someone will take up the creation of polls to elimate the lame ones. If not, I may consider a new thorough review of quotes to remove some of the boring or tired ones in a month or so. Ultimately, though, my strongly preferred option is for community polls.

John Galt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 12:46 PM   #2
QuikSand
lolzcat

I don't mean this as pointed at you, John, nor anyone else involved in forum moderation or governance... but we're teetering very close toward sucking any tiny speck of fun out of the QotM that ever existed in the first place.

Conceptually, it was cute - and for a while, it was clever to see things that were funny, and be reminded of particular exchanges. Now, with all the bickering about offensiveness, and the rampant selection of "had-to-be-there" and simply unfunny quotes... we're to the point where I'll opt for the QotM-free option if one comes along.

I don't disagree with the process that got us here - I really didn't like the most offensive among the list, and I don't have any particular grudge with the effort you are making, John. It's just overall, my sense is that as a community we've pretty well run this one into the ground.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 12:51 PM   #3
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by QuikSand
I don't mean this as pointed at you, John, nor anyone else involved in forum moderation or governance... but we're teetering very close toward sucking any tiny speck of fun out of the QotM that ever existed in the first place.

Conceptually, it was cute - and for a while, it was clever to see things that were funny, and be reminded of particular exchanges. Now, with all the bickering about offensiveness, and the rampant selection of "had-to-be-there" and simply unfunny quotes... we're to the point where I'll opt for the QotM-free option if one comes along.

I don't disagree with the process that got us here - I really didn't like the most offensive among the list, and I don't have any particular grudge with the effort you are making, John. It's just overall, my sense is that as a community we've pretty well run this one into the ground.

QS, I've had thoughts along a similar line. Still, though, I like some of the quotes about particular members or things that are slightly obscure because they give newcomers an idea about FOFC and some its members. Admittedly, most of the quotes don't fulfill that purpose, but I think the QotM isn't without hope.
Old 05-12-2003, 12:55 PM   #4
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

just get rid of the kleenex quote and I'll be happy
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 02:17 PM   #5
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Why can't we get rid of the Kleenex quote, and then if people insist, re-enter it?
Old 05-12-2003, 02:29 PM   #6
Craptacular
College Starter

John, you have a PM. I'll set up a poll within a couple of days and see how people respond. If it's worthless, no big deal. If people seem to like it, I'll keep it going.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 04:07 PM   #7
korme
Go Reds

If you remove the kleenex quote, the 2nd one ever added will become the new kleenex of the bunch -- always showing up.

We must be patient and wait for 100 some quotes (not that far away) to be in the database before it gets better, says the maker of the program.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 04:19 PM   #8
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

How about those of us that are being patient waiting for QotM-free skins???
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 04:26 PM   #9
korme
Go Reds

do you want a replica of a current skin, or what?
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 04:39 PM   #10
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally posted by QuikSand
we're teetering very close toward sucking any tiny speck of fun out of the QotM that ever existed in the first place.
Actually, the crappy quality of the quotes did that long ago for me. I wish there was some sort of criteria for them being included.
Old 05-12-2003, 04:42 PM   #11
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

I havent seen my quotes up there in a while .
Old 05-12-2003, 04:46 PM   #12
Easy Mac

bring back the kleenex's
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 05:06 PM   #13
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Shorty, we talked about this at length a while back, remember? You were there. Are you telling me that no one had been working on this when we told that it was??? Duplicate each of the skins and have a QotM off on each of the duplicates. Most importantly, have the default skins be one of the QotM-free ones.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 05:21 PM   #14
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally posted by Anrhydeddu
Are you telling me that no one had been working on this when we told that it was???
Gosh, I guess I should fire Shorty, considering all that I'm paying him to make those skins.
Old 05-12-2003, 05:30 PM   #15
Kodos
Resident Alien

NOW you're talkin'!
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 08:44 PM   #16
Subby
lolzcat

I love all the hand-wringing and board resignations and bannings and turmoil and whining and I-am-doing-a-shitty-job-of-spending-my-leisure-time harangues that have resulted from the QOTM.

To me, that is the best feature of the whole damn thing.

Just wait 'til we start the polls! Nothing says 'not funny' like the democratic process...
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 08:47 PM   #17
Draft Dodger
Coordinator