Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-12-2003, 04:06 PM   #1
Vince
Pro Starter

Ancient Domains of Mystery

First off, I want to thank whoever it was that recommended this game (you had a link in your sig to some memorial files, I believe) to me; it's an excellent game. I used to play Moria all the time, and hadn't played a Rogue-like game in a while. Now, I have a question for you...

I've been trying my best to avoid internet sites and messageboards, as I like to develop my characters my own way, not some cookie-cutter way that makes them all studly. However, I keep running into the same problem: I die of starvation a lot. Now, I can make sure that my dungeon crawls are short enough that I can get back to Terinyo to buy more food, but methinks I'm missing something basic that would help to alleviate my hunger.

I already know about being burdened adding to my hunger, so I make sure I'm not carrying a ton; I'm constantly on the lookout for Giant Bat Corpses (tastes like chicken ), but it seems that the only way for me to get deep into a dungeon (the only one I've got real experience in so far is that first one to the SE) is to make tons of short little trips, stopping back in town for food. Is there anything I can do to help alleviate my hunger? Or at least to lengthen my dungeon crawls?
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.

Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 05:17 PM   #2
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

First, you are welcome. I love the game and am always happy to find converts. Post some of your memorial files sometime; the best deaths are usually the most embarassing.

As to food, you can pretty much eat anything except Kobold corpses. Many corpses have different effects, but safe ones that you find early are goblin, bat and orc corpses. Most of it is trial and error, but that can be frusterating. So, head on over to This site and save yourself some time. A lot of it is spoily, but if you want to get anywhere in the game (and hence have fun) you should probably give the site the once over. Whenever I play, I have the HTML help files open for quick access!

If you don't want to go to the site, there are other ways to get food. The Survival skill when used in the wilderness will return food, but early on it's only enough to get you through to the next town. If you are in very dire situations, you can pray to your god. THat will satiate you for a long time, but praying is better used to save your character's life. If you have herbalism, keep on the lookout for stomfilla herbs. Eating them can fill you up quickly, so be careful if they are blessed. Once you get to the Dwarven Caves, there are ratling traders who will sell you food cheap. It's also much lighter than large and iron rations.

Hope that helps, but I do suggest visiting the Andy Williams site, if only to figure out the corpse effects!
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 02:49 AM   #3
Vince
Pro Starter

Thanks sach; I love this game I just wish I had more time to play it. I'll probably take a gander at the site at some point, but now I'll be a little more open to eating corpses. A bad experience with a Kobold corpse early on (do you ever get over being sick?) turned me off of most corpses.

And I ALWAYS forget that I can pray. I sacrifice like hell at every altar I find, and then forget to pray when I'm near death. Frustrating, but I still want to go back, so it's not all bad Thanks for the tips, and I'll check in later, hopefully with some good stories.

PS - What's your favorite character class? I haven't gotten very far into the game so far, but I tend to prefer either the Archer or Mindcrafter.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 03:19 AM   #4
thesloppy
Pro Starter

You eventually get over being sick, but it can take awhile, depending on your toughness and healing skill.

As far as character classes go, I seem to end up with a lot of rangers, because they have such an awesome skillset (healing, herbalism, two-weapon fighting, just to name a few), but am also partial to monks, even though they can be a bitch to survive with all their armor, weapon, and weight descriptions.

On a purely self-congratulatory note, I've attached a log of one of my greatest ADOM achievements: Winning with a *cough* gnome beastfighter. No easy feat with the whole no weapon deal.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 09:00 AM   #5
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:

Damage caused with your melee weapons:
--------------------------------------
Right hand: +230 bonus to hit, 1d36+81 damage

sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 10:00 AM   #6
cincyreds
High School Varsity