Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-13-2003, 07:21 AM   #1
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Internet Toilet a Hoax

REDMOND, Washington (AP) -- Microsoft Corp. said a company news release that it was developing a portable toilet with Internet access, called an "iLoo," was a hoax perpetrated by its British division.

The April 30 release, issued by the company's MSN Internet division in the United Kingdom, said Microsoft was developing a portable toilet with a wireless keyboard and an extending height-adjustable plasma screen in front of the seat. The iLoo was to debut at festivals this summer in Britain.

"This iLoo release came out of the UK office and was not a Microsoft sanctioned communication and we apologize for any confusion or offense it may have caused," Microsoft spokeswoman Bridgitt Arnold said late Monday.

The fake release generated coverage by The Wall Street Journal, The Associated Press and Reuters.

The Associated Press received confirmation of the project from both Microsoft Corp.'s Waggener Edstrom public relations firm and London-based Red Consultancy, which handles such work for the software giant in England.

In an e-mail sent last week to The Associated Press, Red Consultancy's Ben Philipson wrote "MSN is really working on building a prototype for the Summer festivals, perhaps Glastonbury ... This is very much a 'toe in the water' experiment to gauge interest so we'll have to see how it goes, although judging from response so far it's really captured people's imagination!"

Malina Bragg, who helps with MSN's account for Waggener Edstrom, also said last week that the project was real.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 07:22 AM   #2
Bee
Pro Starter

NO!
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 08:06 AM   #3
Canadian Football Guy
n00b

So was it a joke that somehow got out of hand or what? As crazy as the idea sounds it would work and be popular but I have been to a few of those music festivals and the last thing you need is a reason for that person in front of you to stay in the port-a-pottie for even a second longer that necessary!!!

GO SENS GO
Old 05-13-2003, 08:12 AM   #4
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Awwwww crap.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 08:42 AM   #5
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

Re: Internet Toilet a Hoax

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup
REDMOND, Washington (AP) -- Microsoft Corp. said a company news release that it was developing a portable toilet with Internet access, called an "iLoo," was a hoax perpetrated by its British division.

Hahaha. You know, when I first saw this article my thought was that it had to be a joke. After all, the way those goofy portajohns stink in general, I can't imagine someone wanting to stay in one long enough to surf the web...not to mention the 30 people standing in line who'd get irate because some idiot was sitting in the portajohn whacking off at teenlesbiannursesinbondage.com or something similar. There'd likely be a riot.

Guess there's a sucker born every minute.

FWIW, I think it's funny how much play an obvious joke got in the mainstream press. Goes to show the media isn't as smart as they'd like you to think.
WussGawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 08:49 AM   #6
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Well, to be fair, it isn't like it just showed up on the internet without a source and they ran with it. It came from a Microsoft division, with confirmation from Microsoft's public relations firm.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 12:35 PM   #7
JeeberD
General Manager

Re: Re: Internet Toilet a Hoax

Quote:
Originally posted by WussGawd
I can't imagine someone wanting to stay in one long enough to surf the web...not to mention the 30 people standing in line who'd get irate because some idiot was sitting in the portajohn whacking off at teenlesbiannursesinbondage.com or something similar.

What was that website again? I need to, ummm, do some "research" for my "sociology class". Yeah, that's it...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 10:25 PM   #8
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup
Well, to be fair, it isn't like it just showed up on the internet without a source and they ran with it. It came from a Microsoft division, with confirmation from Microsoft's public relations firm.

and now it turns out it WASN'T a hoax after all. (or is that after
after all?)
Old 05-13-2003, 10:30 PM   #9
kcchief19
Pro Starter

When I first saw it last week, I told everyone in my office that it sounded like the London office had too much time on their hands and needed to be snapped back by The Bill.

I'm a freakin' genius.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 10:31 PM   #10
tucker342
Pro Starter

DAMNIT!!!
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote