Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-19-2021, 08:47 PM   #1
triplykely
Mascot

Quest for 80%

Since I responded to a few newer players I was thinking there aren't a lot of playthrough videos for FOF you can find. I'd assume a lot of it is because most of the longtime players are in MP leagues (something that could be interesting is recording the Solevision with commentary, but I might be alone in that) and of course FOF is a small game/community. So because I have countless hours playing SP and testing playbooks/game plans I decided to record a playthrough.

While this may be better suited for the Dynasty Reports (which I've enjoyed doing but had to abandon due to their tedious nature - read my OCD with formatting) I figured I'd post it here because I will be covering all aspects of the game as I try to average at least 80% win rate for 50 seasons.

This first video is just a bit of an intro (could have not typed all this) and overview of my latest SP run. Given that to make these videos I simply record myself while playing the game vs. typing up summaries after the fact I believe I should be able to churn through seasons quickly. I will attempt to go from beginning of offseason to after Super Bowl for each episode so anyone can easily jump between seasons and will simply reply to this post with the next seasons video.

If this isn't allowed for any reason please move/delete and if anyone would watch more let me know. As you can tell from my 0 subs and 3 views (me making sure it wasn't too horrific) I'm not trying to be a YT star. I just really enjoy this game and figure I can help any stray football fan who stumbles on the game.

Quest for 80%
Running Record After 12 Seasons
146-44-2 (76.5%)
12/12 Playoff Appearances
7 Bowl Appearances/4 Wins

Quest for 80% - Intro
Ep 1 - 2019
Ep 2 - 2020 (4 Parts)
Ep 3 - 2021 (2 Parts)
Ep 4 - 2022 (2 Parts)
Ep 5 - 2023 (3 Parts)
Ep 6 - 2024 (2 Parts)
Ep 7 - 2025 (2 Parts)
Ep 8 - 2026
Ep 9 - 2027
Ep 10 - 2028
Ep 11 - 2029
Ep 12 - 2030

Crafting a Playbook
Ep 1 - Testing Environment
Ep 2 - Establishing a Benchmark
Ep 3 - Run Play Creation **new mic, better audio from here on**
Ep 4 - Finishing Core Plays
Ep 5 - Beta Testing
Ep 6 - Finishing Up Addendum Plays
Ep 7 - Testing v1 of the New Playbook

Last edited by triplykely : 02-19-2021 at 10:44 PM.
triplykely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 09:02 PM   #2
Joshua1207
n00b

I'll definitely be giving this a watch. Hard to find too much info on this game so its always nice to come across things like this.

The stats your team was producing individually looked really impressive. Any chance you'd be willing to share your playbook? I'd love to give it an in-depth look to try and learn some things from it. If not though, I understand. I subbed and will be keeping up with the series either way!
Joshua1207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 09:48 PM   #3
triplykely
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua1207 View Post
I'll definitely be giving this a watch. Hard to find too much info on this game so its always nice to come across things like this.

The stats your team was producing individually looked really impressive. Any chance you'd be willing to share your playbook? I'd love to give it an in-depth look to try and learn some things from it. If not though, I understand. I subbed and will be keeping up with the series either way!

Great to know I'm not talking to myself ha. And that's the reason I decided to do this. Its near impossible to find any info on the game and it's far better then it's sales numbers would indicate.

I'm holding out on giving my playbook to anyone but will be talking about it as I go through this run and breaking down why it's successful. At some point I may do a video where I make a new playbook from scratch and go through my process. I also may look to improve this playbook which will involve a more detailed look at what makes it work.

But now that it's finished uploading the draft and first season has been completed. Without giving anything too big away I will say I'm already getting lazy with taking advantage of every edge against the AI and misspoke multiple times

Quest for 80% - Ep 1, 2019
Old 01-19-2021, 11:00 PM   #4
finkellll
n00b

I'm guessing you have 0 injuries since you are only keeping 46 on your roster?
finkellll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 12:01 AM   #5
triplykely
Mascot

Yes, I show the settings at some point, all default for cap and injuries at 0. I find the AI performs better/more consistently not having to manage backups and I can get through seasons faster; although intuitively it seems easier to win without injuries. Maybe I should have them on. Not that big of a deal to turn them off or start fresh only 1 season in (well 2 but I haven't uploaded it yet).

Edit: I normally keep more than 46 but at this stage I have less incentive to with little talent. It would probably be smart to look for chemistry guys with my open spots. Many players load up on players and make cuts whereas I typically stay right around 50.

Last edited by triplykely : 01-20-2021 at 12:03 AM.
Old 01-20-2021, 05:41 AM   #6
finkellll
n00b

Not having injuries is fine given the nature of the challenge and how fine tuned your GP / playbook are.

I bring it up because especially in single player it is easy to build up a ton of depth by signing 1st thru 3rd-5th year players in LFA and see what happens to them in preseason 2.

Undrafted rookies, and 2nd year players have the biggest movement in pre2, and it will help your depth and protect you against unexpected veteran dropoffs, and give you backup in case a starter is asking for too much and you are getting into cap trouble.

I didn't start doing it until I started playing multi player because it is never necessary in single player, but you should try to take lottery ticket signings on cheap players in late free agency until you have 55-60 on your roster, and then cut the slack like you usually do at the end of the preseason, even if you go all the way back to 46.

Then again in the intro video you show a 76% win rate over the long term, so it's not like you need to do this. Just an obvious area for improvement.

Last edited by finkellll : 01-20-2021 at 05:43 AM.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:52 AM   #7
RaidersFanEU
n00b

Thanks for the video, the more help and information the better for FOF!
RaidersFanEU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 10:05 AM   #8
triplykely
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by finkellll View Post
Not having injuries is fine given the nature of the challenge and how fine tuned your GP / playbook are.

I bring it up because especially in single player it is easy to build up a ton of depth by signing 1st thru 3rd-5th year players in LFA and see what happens to them in preseason 2.

Undrafted rookies, and 2nd year players have the biggest movement in pre2, and it will help your depth and protect you against unexpected veteran dropoffs, and give you backup in case a starter is asking for too much and you are getting into cap trouble.

I didn't start doing it until I started playing multi player because it is never necessary in single player, but you should try to take lottery ticket signings on cheap players in late free agency until you have 55-60 on your roster, and then cut the slack like you usually do at the end of the preseason, even if you go all the way back to 46.

Then again in the intro video you show a 76% win rate over the long term, so it's not like you need to do this. Just an obvious area for improvement.

That's a really good point. I'm in the process of uploading the 2020 offseason/season and I'm pretty stuck in my habits it seems. You bring up an area of opportunity to push my win rate up that I've ignored among others I've noticed. While I didn't do this in 2020, just filled the roster, will definitely be using this pool of players moving forward. It may not be necessary to hit 75% but could be to hit 80%.

Also, since I'm new to recording myself I hit the hotkey a few times doing the 2020 season and its split into 4 parts. Given the time spent in the offseason, would it make more sense to split the offseason from the regular season - it does seem to be quite a long video going from beginning of the year to end of the year.
Old 01-20-2021, 11:38 AM   #9
triplykely
Mascot

2020 Season

Slowly but surely I'll break my lazy habits but this video certainly has areas of opportunity missed/squandered. I need to not attempt to record to much at once because I bump the mic and make an unpleasant listening experience. Because I'm a noob at recording this is split into 4 parts and I will probably aim to simply record less at a time and make each season several parts. It also now seems silly to reply to this post every time I make a video as it'll just bump the post regardless if anyone wants it bumped. So I will instead index the episodes on the OP and if anyone cares to comment or discuss the goings on that can take place in the replies.

Also, I'm good with armchair GMing. I may or may not do what is suggested but as a SP I've had to dig and stumble on much of my knowledge, so despite my win rate, I know I don't know everything and am looking to break this artificial ceiling I've hit at 75%.
Old 01-21-2021, 03:51 PM   #10
Atomic Spud
n00b

Haven't watched beyond the intro yet, but letting you know I'll be following this when I can.

As an SP-only player who's been playing off and on since FOF7 first released, it feels like there's a few differences in how we think/do things based on some of your advice posts I've seen around here. And it's interesting you call it a "wall", my record on my current career seems to have topped out at roughly the same as yours (43 seasons, .75 flat win%, 25 bowls, 19 wins), though I've had a good bit of luck at QB that has probably skewed those numbers up some. Honestly, that does feel like a bit of a ceiling, at least based on my current approach to the game.

If it doesn't bother you much, I might post a bit as this goes just to highlight some of those spots we differ.
Atomic Spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 04:07 PM   #11
claystone
H.S. Freshman Team

Triplykely and Atomic Spud, seems you have been playing FOF for years, why not take your talent into MP leagues? Doesn't SP become flat after awhile?

claystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 05:14 PM   #12
triplykely
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Spud View Post
Haven't watched beyond the intro yet, but letting you know I'll be following this when I can.

As an SP-only player who's been playing off and on since FOF7 first released, it feels like there's a few differences in how we think/do things based on some of your advice posts I've seen around here. And it's interesting you call it a "wall", my record on my current career seems to have topped out at roughly the same as yours (43 seasons, .75 flat win%, 25 bowls, 19 wins), though I've had a good bit of luck at QB that has probably skewed those numbers up some. Honestly, that does feel like a bit of a ceiling, at least based on my current approach to the game.

If it doesn't bother you much, I might post a bit as this goes just to highlight some of those spots we differ.

I'm good with you pointing out differences in playstyles/approaches, and it's interesting to see you've hit the same 'ceiling'. You need to average 12.8 wins/year to hit 80% which gets tricky to make up for down years. If you go 10-6 you need a 16-0 year basically to balance it out. God forbid you have a losing season, facing a decade of 14-2+ years to get back on track lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by claystone View Post
Triplykely and Atomic Spud, seems you have been playing FOF for years, why not take your talent into MP leagues? Doesn't SP become flat after awhile?

And I've got reasons for not joining an MP league yet, SP can get stale but the stat engine is really my interest. Even GML takes too long to get through a season for my tastes. Obviously I can do both, I just don't want to commit and then not follow through as my schedule is constantly changing. I'd inevitably miss drafts and the like and lose interest in the team as I wouldn't have the control over it I want and the time would move too slow for me to get it back. I am very curious how I'd do though, and that curiosity will probably get me to join something at some point.

Last edited by triplykely : 01-21-2021 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-21-2021, 07:48 PM   #13
Atomic Spud
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by claystone View Post

I did dip my toe into MP once (one of Ben's leagues I think?), and as if the world timed it, suddenly life happened and I only really got to go through two games before becoming inactive. My schedule can be pretty erratic and inconsistent -- partially because I am bad at time management taking on too many projects at once, and partially because I've become the "emergency guy" for a lot of older family members. Don't think it'd be fair to other managers to show up for two weeks or whatever and then go AWOL again. FOF has sort of become like stress relief/recharge time for me. I'll go a while without touching the game because I'm busy with other things, and then eventually get really invested again and go through several seasons per week for a bit, occasionally starting a new career and sometimes continuing an older one.

SP can be a bit stale after a while, but a few house rules keep it engaging enough for me. It helps that I tend to get too attached to these fake players -- last season I followed another teams results just as close as mine, because they had a guy who was finally gonna dethrone my all-time great WR's record for career yds from like 30 years ago.
Atomic Spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 07:01 AM   #14
RedHawk00
H.S. Freshman Team

triplykely, i subscribed, i am always looking for fellow junkies to talk to about FOF, no one else irl is interested...

I watched the first 2 videos and was very impressed with your offensive performance. I am not there yet with game planning
RedHawk00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 11:34 AM   #15
thaynes888
n00b

triplykely, I started watching a bit of this. I'm curious to know if you have any house rules for yourself for SP, and this quest for the 80%?

I have found that one can outmaneuver the AI on trading picks and end up with multiple first round picks for every draft. So, I feel if I were to try this type of endeavor, and traded picks in that fashion, my results wouldn't be realistic.

Last edited by thaynes888 : 01-22-2021 at 11:35 AM.
thaynes888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 12:05 PM   #16
triplykely
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaynes888 View Post
triplykely, I started watching a bit of this. I'm curious to know if you have any house rules for yourself for SP, and this quest for the 80%?

I have found that one can outmaneuver the AI on trading picks and end up with multiple first round picks for every draft. So, I feel if I were to try this type of endeavor, and traded picks in that fashion, my results wouldn't be realistic.

Thanks for checking it out, I don't have any house rules in place. I generally acquire a lot of picks but haven't found a viable way to get multiple 1st picks every year without a giant opportunity cost - I'd have no other picks. There is probably something I'm missing if you're able to get multiples 1s every year, what is your strategy for doing that? As you watch more you will see I generally trade 50-60 OVR players for multiple picks and then move around the draft. One of the seasons I started with 21 picks and moved up in the 1st to snag a WR and added some 3rd, 4ths, 5ths, but kept 9 of the picks. My thinking is I can get quality players in every round so a 75-85OVR 1st round pick isn't worth trading away all of the late round picks. Very curious though how you go about this because if you're able to get multiples 1sts while retaining enough late picks I need that info for 80%.

Last edited by triplykely : 01-22-2021 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-22-2021, 12:07 PM   #17
triplykely
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk00 View Post
triplykely, i subscribed, i am always looking for fellow junkies to talk to about FOF, no one else irl is interested...

I watched the first 2 videos and was very impressed with your offensive performance. I am not there yet with game planning

Nice, and I know what you mean. I'm thinking if there ends up being enough interest in this that my next challenge is a coach only run. Let the AI handle all contracts, FA, draft and I do depth and game plan. I think that would be interesting to shed light on how good my gameplan/playbook really is.
Old 01-22-2021, 12:26 PM   #18
Joshua1207
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplykely View Post
Thanks for checking it out, I don't have any house rules in place. I generally acquire a lot of picks but haven't found a viable way to get multiple 1st picks every year without a giant opportunity cost - I'd have no other picks. There is probably something I'm missing if you're able to get multiples 1s every year, what is your strategy for doing that? As you watch more you will see I generally trade 50-60 OVR players for multiple picks and then move around the draft. One of the seasons I started with 21 picks and moved up in the 1st to snag a WR and added some 3rd, 4ths, 5ths, but kept 9 of the picks. My thinking is I can get quality players in every round so a 75-85OVR 1st round pick isn't worth trading away all of the late round picks. Very curious though how you go about this because if you're able to get multiples 1sts while retaining enough late picks I need that info for 80%.

If you want to manipulate the AI I believe you can trade away your current first for a future first more often than not. So if you trade to a team with a really bad roster that looks to be picking top 5-10 you'll have a first next year that is top 10 and your own first rounder. Then trade that top 10 pick down to like the late teens/early 20s in the first for their current & next years first. Repeat for a few years and you'll have stacked picks.

The strategy falls apart if the team you trade with ends up rebounding and picking super late but on the flip side, it can be extremely good if the team does even worse and picks top 3. Its manipulating the poorly coded AI in the game but if you're trying to just win at all costs, its a good strategy.
Old 01-22-2021, 12:48 PM   #19
triplykely
Mascot

I'll have to play with that, in my experience the 1.32 pick doesn't ever fetch a future 1st; IIRC it needs to be low 20s and the AI will do it. I'm about to do the draft so I will see if anyone wants my 1.32 pick for next years 1st and get that ball rolling. I did something similar with 5th rounders so not sure why I missed this option unless I'm remembering correct and a 1.32 doesn't fetch a future 1st.
Old 01-22-2021, 01:14 PM   #20
Joshua1207
n00b

Hmm, you might be right and it doesn't work when you win a super bowl. Maybe a divisional round loss so you'll be mid 20s would work. If you have a solid roster in place, you could also "tank" one draft and send like a 1st + 4th for the future first. Maybe up the 4th to a 3rd if they still aren't biting.
Old 01-22-2021, 01:18 PM   #21
thaynes888
n00b

Pretty much what Joshua1207 said. I have done it by trading down. If you end up with a high pick, say 1-5, you can trade down to the 5-10 area for this years and next years 1st round picks (sometimes you can get more, like next years 1st and 3rd, or next years 1st and 5th). You can then trade down again to the 20-30 range for this years and next years 1st round picks. You now have three 1st round picks for the next draft, yours and two others. You will likely end up with another high draft pick. In the following drafts you can rinse and repeat. Trade down with your highest pick and use the others (or trade them if you can't for more future first round picks). At that point it's a matter of managing the cap and the accumulated high picks. You need a high pick to really get the ball rolling though.

This is why I asked if you had any house rules.

Oh, and I'm enjoying watching you play. Good stuff man! Thanks for doing it.

Last edited by thaynes888 : 01-22-2021 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-22-2021, 01:30 PM   #22
thaynes888
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua1207 View Post
Hmm, you might be right and it doesn't work when you win a super bowl. Maybe a divisional round loss so you'll be mid 20s would work. If you have a solid roster in place, you could also "tank" one draft and send like a 1st + 4th for the future first. Maybe up the 4th to a 3rd if they still aren't biting.

Or, trade a good player to a bad team for a 1st round pick.

Last edited by thaynes888 : 01-22-2021 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-22-2021, 01:56 PM   #23
triplykely
Mascot

Excellent, it works, btw, with a 1.32 pick - turned into the 1.3 for this upcoming draft. This certainly can make a big difference especially with drafting QBs, WRs, LTs. In the run prior to this I did trade multiple 1sts a few times to snag a premium QB or WR and this should allow me to avoid that. Cap issues are real as 1sts start high and go higher but that's a challenge I'm looking forward to. Glad you guys are enjoying it, I'm liking the feedback so far. The next season should be uploaded in the next hour or so.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:45 PM   #24
ftwco
n00b

This is a great YouTube series. Glad your doing it!
ftwco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 04:16 AM   #25
triplykely
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftwco View Post
This is a great YouTube series. Glad your doing it!

Glad you're liking it. I've made some mistakes that would make a 2nd attempt easier, but it's still more than do-able mathematically; so no reason not to keep going with this run. Officially in early trouble as a perfect 16-0 season wouldn't quite push the team over 80% but with 39 more seasons there's time. I did such a poor job handling/mishandling the QB position/#2 overall pick that I gave up some wins. And for easily avoidable reasons short a few more.

Last edited by triplykely : 01-27-2021 at 04:22 AM.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:50 PM   #26
triplykely
Mascot

Although still in the quest for 80%, with the 1st rd pick shenanigans and a bit of other strategy I’ve been thinking, I’d like to start a new run but with injuries on and a focus on individual careers. The first part of the process would be a new universal playbook and most likely some specific game plans (based on how I want targets, run/pass, etc) for various team builds. It will take some time to get into the actual run and will be mostly testing but I figure I can share the playbook and/or game plans after. Most likely I’ll alternate between testing and the current 80% run but will ultimately focus on what’s most interesting to people.
Old 01-28-2021, 03:09 AM   #27
chrisprice5
n00b

First post on here but wanted to say I've been enjoying your videos and found a couple of tips to improve my game.

I first found the game before christmas and have been playing a lot over the past few weeks after another UK lockdown. It's so much better than the Madden series but I prefer games like this having long been a fan of the football manager series.

I'm doing well and the draft analyzer tool is a big help, but I do feel some season's I'm restricted by only using the standard coaches playbooks/gameplans as I don't have the first clue about where to start with my own.

Good to hear you may be doing a Playbook/gameplan video next up.
chrisprice5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 03:35 AM   #28
triplykely
Mascot

It’s a great game, a shame it’s so small, glad you found it and like it. My play through is basically exploiting the AI as much as possible so there should be good bits to use as a newer player in SP.

Toying with the engine is my favorite aspect of the game. I have some theories to try out in the testing process that if right should help a lot of people craft their own playbook and game plans . I’ve been a huge fan of the NFL for decades so I’m well familiar with the era FOF is modeled after. While I don’t know all of the inner workings of the engine I understand Jim did immense statistical analysis when putting it together. Trying to think how he thought while making the engine and based on my anecdotal knowledge of the NFL has led to very nice stats that I’m in pretty good control of using only macro inputs. This venture will be handcrafted gameplans that I can load up for any team based on personnel. Probably will go with 55 play plans and manually tweak a bit based on my OC.
Old 01-28-2021, 08:32 AM   #29
triplykely
Mascot

Rough Idea:
55 play game plans that offer a core style of offense and target choice based on personnel
10 QB run plays to use if the right QB is on the team
10 TE2 plays if 2 great TEs
10 R plays for 3 great WRs
10 S plays for 4 great WRs
5 FB plays for a great FB (although up in the air, using the FB as TE2 in 122 is a solid option although an out of position penalty, maybe HB pass plays)

Last edited by triplykely : 01-28-2021 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-29-2021, 03:56 AM   #30
chrisprice5
n00b

Sounds good and I look forward to getting to grips with the gameplan side of the game.

Not sure if its been mentioned by anyone else but I seem to be having more success when I just skip the results instead of watching the simulator that plays the game out.
chrisprice5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 11:29 AM   #31
triplykely
Mascot

You’re probably just seeing a random trend, whether watching or not the plays are called in the same situational order under the same conditions. Because of RNG no two games will sim the same (why I pay attention to variance in my stats). Especially with AI plans it’s not uncommon to see your QB have drastically different stat lines each week. My best guess is a small sample size and some coincidence leading to that perception. You can test this by taking the same team saved at Week 1 and sim a bunch of seasons watching and not watching and then compare the stats. They won’t be identical because of RNG but with a large enough sample size they’ll be very close.
Old 01-29-2021, 04:03 PM   #32
triplykely
Mascot

Just uploaded the first in the playbook series I started thinking/talking about. I ramble a bit about the plan and process while creating the testing environment and getting a benchmark. To avoid confusion the playlist is 'Crafting a Playbook', but the method by which I'm going about it could better be described as 'Finding the Ceiling'.

Here is the first episode of that playlist and I've updated the OP here to include all future episodes of this and the Quest for 80%.
Old 02-10-2021, 12:00 PM   #33
finkellll
n00b

When using the guided play generation screen, do you find that maxing out the medium bar and minimizing the other bars works well? I end up with a bunch of 113 - 44444 type plays where every route is a medium route, I don't get a good mix of short - medium - long routes within a play.

I honestly don't know if it is better to spread out the routes or have everyone attack a specific distance away, but it always strikes me as odd when I have everyone run 3,4,5,6s and there aren't any screen or 9 outlets. Granted, play creation is one area I tried early on and walked away from because it is too micro manage-y for me, so I have no idea what we are supposed to do here beyond the corbes post breaking down how to use the guided play generation screen.
Old 02-10-2021, 02:00 PM   #34
triplykely
Mascot

It depends on what you're looking to accomplish. For how I use the play generator is to make X number of specific plays for a certain receiver. I'm not sure if you saw the playlist where I'm making a playbook from scratch but I do ramble a bit about how the generator works, how the game plan generator pulls from your playbook, and how to use that information to get desired target and distance distribution. So in a longwinded way, if I only am creating medium pass pass for my Z receiver in the 113 then yes I'd use the sliders like you describe and tweak individual plays to taste. Doing this is definitely not optimal in completion %, TD:INT, or YPA.

You do want balance in the available routes in your playbook; I'm not certain but I believe there is a familiarity penalty on routes for a receiver in addition to formations. I'm in the process of testing this (life has slowed the process down, hence no new videos recently) in addition to other theories I've developed.

Generally speaking, I'd say its better to have every receiver you'd like to pass to have a few plays from most routes with a heavier lean on screens and short passes than to have every receiver only run 3-6s.

I'm not entirely confident on the accuracy of this but here is how I look at each route:
0 Dig (0-4) Very likely to be completed, low variance on completions, good for when you need just a couple yards and a run isn't the best option
1 Out (5-8) Likely to be completed, low variance on completions, good for when you need an easy completion of a few more yards than a dig
2 Slant (5-8) Likely to be completed but slightly more likely to be an INT than a 1, some variance on completions, good for when you need a few yards but maybe have a better YAC WR than quality QB - let the WR tack on a few yards to a slant instead of trying a deeper pass
3 Comeback (9-12) Good chance to be completed - an extra blocker for all routes medium and further helps, low variance on completions, great for 3rd and long especially when staying near during 2 min drill
4 Curl (9-12) Good chance to be completed, slightly better variance on completions but higher INT chance than a 3, great for 3rd and long when you have a good QB and want to prioritize YAC over getting out of bounds
5 Deep Out (13-18) Not great chance to be completed (worse than coin flip region depending on personnel and opponent), little variance on completions, great for 2 min drill when staying near sideline is prioritized
6 Deep In (13-18) Not great chance to be completed, slightly more variance than a 5, great for when prioritizing chunk plays and YAC over the sideline
7 Corner (19-25) Low chance to be completed and good chance of INT, big play chance, 2 min drill or when getting out of bounds matters
8 Post (19-25) Low chance to be completed and good chance of INT, big play chance, not worried about getting out of bounds just looking for splash plays
9 Fade (27-39) Very low chance to be completed and high chance to be an INT, homerun ball
D Deep Fade (40+) Very low chance to be completed and high chance to be the highest INT chance of any route, the all or nothing hail mary option
W Wheel (9-18) Not great to be completed but higher variance to completions than other similar distance pass plays, can result in huge yards, like a medium screen play where YAC is prioritized
S Screen Very likely to be completed, high variance to completions - you may gain a bunch or lose a bunch of yards, good for easy completions when you have good YAC receivers (high RR and GD)
F Flat (0-4) Very likely to be completed, low variance to completions - more likely to throw a negative yardage pass than a 0 route but less likely to throw an INT, good for YAC receivers and when trying to minimize bad QBs INTs

It is absurdly micromanage-y to make an entire playbook and gameplans but its rewarded when things start to click. Ideally I'll get some more videos of the Crafting a Playbook series up soon (had an issue with recording but have run some tests on the first iteration) and when finished will leave that playbook available to anyone who doesn't want to be bothered taking the time I am.

For what its worth, and I'm still playing/testing this, but roughly 60% short passes, 25% medium, and 10% long seems to be near the sweet spot for YPA. At least when using the Gameplan Generator in conjunction with a custom playbook, this is the ratio I've used to consistently break 8 YPA with good personnel and occasionally break 9 YPA.

A bit long winded but hope that helps at all. I think because of how tedious making plays/playbooks/game plans is the least 'solved' aspect of FOF. And for this reason the most rewarding for a guy like me who's been playing and creating simulations of all kinds for decades.

Last edited by triplykely : 02-10-2021 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-11-2021, 06:40 PM   #35
Stanley92
n00b

This is Gold for me mate. Thanks a lot. It will be fun to study these videos closely and learn much more of the game.
Just what I was looking for since I bought the game some time ago, but just recently felt to dive back into it. Blame Corona and lockdown.
Needed something to kill time
Stanley92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 05:41 PM   #36
Stanley92
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplykely View Post
Since I responded to a few newer players I was thinking there aren't a lot of playthrough videos for FOF you can find. I'd assume a lot of it is because most of the longtime players are in MP leagues (something that could be interesting is recording the Solevision with commentary, but I might be alone in that) and of course FOF is a small game/community. So because I have countless hours playing SP and testing playbooks/game plans I decided to record a playthrough.

While this may be better suited for the Dynasty Reports (which I've enjoyed doing but had to abandon due to their tedious nature - read my OCD with formatting) I figured I'd post it here because I will be covering all aspects of the game as I try to average at least 80% win rate for 50 seasons.

This first video is just a bit of an intro (could have not typed all this) and overview of my latest SP run. Given that to make these videos I simply record myself while playing the game vs. typing up summaries after the fact I believe I should be able to churn through seasons quickly. I will attempt to go from beginning of offseason to after Super Bowl for each episode so anyone can easily jump between seasons and will simply reply to this post with the next seasons video.

If this isn't allowed for any reason please move/delete and if anyone would watch more let me know. As you can tell from my 0 subs and 3 views (me making sure it wasn't too horrific) I'm not trying to be a YT star. I just really enjoy this game and figure I can help any stray football fan who stumbles on the game.

Quest for 80%
Running Record After 12 Seasons
146-44-2 (76.5%)
12/12 Playoff Appearances
7 Bowl Appearances/4 Wins

Quest for 80% - Intro
Ep 1 - 2019
Ep 2 - 2020 (4 Parts)
Ep 3 - 2021 (2 Parts)
Ep 4 - 2022 (2 Parts)
Ep 5 - 2023 (3 Parts)
Ep 6 - 2024 (2 Parts)
Ep 7 - 2025 (2 Parts)
Ep 8 - 2026
Ep 9 - 2027
Ep 10 - 2028
Ep 11 - 2029
Ep 12 - 2030

Crafting a Playbook
Ep 1 - Testing Environment
Ep 2 - Establishing a Benchmark
Ep 3 - Run Play Creation **new mic, better audio from here on**
Ep 4 - Finishing Core Plays
Ep 5 - Beta Testing
Ep 6 - Finishing Up Addendum Plays
Ep 7 - Testing v1 of the New Playbook

Now whatever happened to all your Youtube videos ??
I was ion the middle of checking them out again and your acount is empty.

Desparate hope you check in this forum and can give an answer.
Stanley92 is offline   Reply With Quote