Old 04-04-2010, 05:52 PM   #51
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Jailed UGA football player dismissed from team | UGA sports blog

UGA sports blog
Jailed UGA football player dismissed from team

3:32 pm April 4, 2010, by Tim Tucker

(Updated 6:22 p.m.)

Jailed linebacker Montez Robinson has been dismissed from the University of Georgia football team, coach Mark Richt said Sunday evening.

The announcement came with Robinson in the Clarke County Jail on a misdemeanor charge of simple battery/family violence.

“Montez has not been able to conform to some conditions and stipulations that were placed on him as a result of previous off-field issues,” Richt said in a statement. “I think this decision is in the best interest of everyone.”

Richt added that he hopes Robinson will at some point continue his education at another institution.

Earlier Sunday afternoon, Clarke County Sheriff’s Sgt. Farrell Johnson said Johnson had turned himself in on a warrant issued Saturday. Johnson said Robinson will remain in jail until a bond hearing, probably Monday.

No further information was available Sunday about the circumstances of the charge, Johnson said.

According to Sherriff’s Office records, Robinson was booked into the jail at 12:40 p.m. Sunday.

Robinson, from Avon, Ind., was a backup defensive end as a freshman last fall but moved to outside linebacker in Georgia’s revamped defense this spring.

He previously had been suspended from Georgia’s first two games of the 2010 season as a result of arrests last year for misdemeanor simple battery and second-degree criminal damage. The criminal-damage charge, a felony, was for allegedly breaking the taillights on a female student’s car on campus.

Sometime tomorrow police in Athens are expected to release more details (at least to CMR, presumably to the public as well) about allegations that four football players assaulted a local man & accosted his girlfriend during a drunken shared cab ride in the past week. If the allegations are true, I have to think there will be little choice but for CMR to at least hand out long term suspensions if not outright dismiss all those involved. What was said was pretty vile stuff but there's still considerable doubt about who the perps were (even in my not-inclined-to-give-much-benefit-of-the-doubt mind), specifically whether they were actually football players or just four extremely large drunk black men.

JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:17 AM   #52
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Stephens says 'it made me sick' » GoVolsXtra

Quarterback competition gave way to attrition Thursday at Tennessee.

Fifth-year senior quarterback Nick Stephens quit the team with little more than a week remaining in UT's first spring practice under new coach Derek Dooley.

"In light of the way the first eight practices have gone and some of the competition we have created, he doesn't want to be here," Dooley said after practice. "It was an amicable discussion.

"He'll probably go look at some places that can assure him of a starting position. We hate to lose Nick but I certainly understand."

Stephens told the News Sentinel in a telephone interview he probably would transfer to a school in his home state of Texas.

His departure leaves junior college transfer Matt Simms as the leading candidate to succeed Jonathan Crompton as UT's starting quarterback. He will compete with freshman Tyler Bray, who, like Simms, was given more practice reps with the first team Tuesday, after the coaches evaluated last Saturday's scrimmage.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:46 AM   #53
Poli
FOFC Survivor

One name we haven't seen or heard much from is Nick Lamaison. I thought we'd hear a little more out of him in the spring. I hate to lose Nick, but I'm not sure that anyone outside of the Stephens household considered him more than a reserve for the team. Fulmer really kind of screwed the pooch by throwing Nick into the fray a few years back.

What's your opinion of how everything is shaking out, Jon?
Old 04-09-2010, 09:00 AM   #54
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
One name we haven't seen or heard much from is Nick Lamaison. I thought we'd hear a little more out of him in the spring. I hate to lose Nick, but I'm not sure that anyone outside of the Stephens household considered him more than a reserve for the team. Fulmer really kind of screwed the pooch by throwing Nick into the fray a few years back.

What's your opinion of how everything is shaking out, Jon?

Everything I'd seen & heard from spring (well, prior to the scrimmage) had me thinking that, for better or worse, Stephens was a virtual lock to be the starter. Scratch that notion I guess.

Truth is, I don't believe there's a legitimate D1 starting QB on campus in Knoxville. Lamaison was apparently fifth of five on the spring depth chart but could end up as the primary backup to Simms if both Bray & Nance are redshirted (although if Bray ends up beating out Simms then that obviously changes).

It's a complete clusterfuck at the position best I can figure and Stephens comments only added to that impression where he references how little he was being told by the coaching staff in terms of not only what he needed to improve but how he could improve it. That goes with something that really worried me from some of the early articles about the QB work in the spring alluding to how the staff was all about reps but did virtually no teaching.

My opinion of the shakeout? Is that Dooley appears to be badly overmatched as the head coach of a (ostensibly) major D1 program, ill-equipped to handle both the preparation of players and the off-field duties that come with the job. Based on what we've seen so far I'd be surprised if he was still coaching the team by November 2013.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:05 AM   #55
Poli
FOFC Survivor

13 or 12?
Old 04-09-2010, 09:08 AM   #56
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
13 or 12?

Lemme see here, 10 is coming up & we'll suck. 11 seems headed for mediocrity.
Two more years of mediocrity (or worse) and the recruiting will have gotten even tougher so I look for him to be relieved of his duties some time toward the end of 2012.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:25 AM   #57
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Walt Harris was just hired as an assistant at California....University of Pennsylvania.

Former Pitt coach expected to join Cal (Pa.) staff - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:09 AM   #58
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I understood Lane coming in and running off some of the kids that were there. I just wish I understood what the heck Coach Double D is doing.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:58 PM   #59
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

USC with their first scrimmage today and Dillon Baxter made some unbelievable cuts. He was breaking guy's ankles all day long and inducing gasps from the crowd like Reggie used to do. I know it is only one practice, but getting so excited to see what this offense is going to look like this season.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:16 PM   #60
bhlloy
Coordinator

Excited about Baxter, totally stoked about DaJohn Harris who has gone from a fat out of shape baby to a guy who has made plays all spring long. 2 tipped passes and long returns in scrimmages, many TFL - it's going to be hard for him to get past Jurrell Casey and Loni Fanguopo to start but he's definitely played his way into the rotation and some serious playing time. One of my favorite recruits from a few years ago (local kid, never really looked anywhere else) and I'd love to see him get some serious PT his last 2 seasons.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:21 PM   #61
DeToxRox
Head Coach

A well respected UM insider has basically said Devin Gardner is leaps and bounds better then any freshman QB at this point he has ever seen on campus at Michigan. I am normally hesitant to take much of what "insiders" say to heart but this guy is very clued in and has been nearly flawless with his predictions the last two years (said 4-8 in 08, 6-6 last year). He said our entire offense is at RR's disposal with Gardner but the coaches are giving Tate and Denard every shot.

One key thing is he said they have to key Gardner out of the film room while they have to really push Tate and Denard to get in there.

This person actually said if Gardner plays a majority of the snaps that Michigan could win 9 games.

Needless to say I am anxious to see how it all shakes out, but at this point Gardner is going to be impossible to keep off of the field.

Thankfully the Forcier's know how to do transfers because it seems like it is going to happen sooner rather then later.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:49 PM   #62
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Not that anyone but a few care, but here is the video of Dillon Baxter's run that had the crowd awed on Saturday. It's the 2nd play on the video. The first one is the play by DaJohn Harris that has bhlloy (and me) stoked as well:

University of Southern California Official Athletic Site
Old 04-12-2010, 09:05 PM   #63
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
USC with their first scrimmage today and Dillon Baxter made some unbelievable cuts. He was breaking guy's ankles all day long and inducing gasps from the crowd like Reggie used to do. I know it is only one practice, but getting so excited to see what this offense is going to look like this season.

Defense is going to be bad this year, eh?

UCLA is switching to a new offensive formation. It's going to be know as the Winston Justice formation, or in more practical terms, the Pistol. It was made popular by the former Nevada coach, Chris Ault. It's a hybrid of the shotgun and designed to help the QB make quicker reads on the defense. It will be interesting this year on offense, but by the accounts so far, Kevin Prince has picked it up fairly easily
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:58 PM   #64
MrBug708
Head Coach

Dude, that's my number!
Old 04-18-2010, 10:31 PM   #65
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

UGA freshman QB Zach Mettenberger dismissed from the team today after unspecified violation(s) of conduct rules (or some such vague terminology). You may recall up the thread a bit where he was suspended for 1 game after getting a handful of misdemeanor alcohol related charges back in March.

Still unclear what happened between then & now to trigger the tougher punishment, several wild rumors floating around but the most realistic sounding of those is that he was seen bar hopping downtown last night & someone dropped a dime on him to CMR.

Once considered a case of throwing a local kid a spare scholarship, he had become the slight favorite for the long term starter's job by clearly outperforming the other candidates in spring scrimmages.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:32 AM   #66
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Apparently at least one Vol couldn't stand for UGA to get all the ink this weekend.

KPD: Vols’ Darren Myles was drunk, combative, removed from club » Knoxville News Sentinel
Knoxville police this weekend arrested a combative and allegedly intoxicated University of Tennessee football player outside a West Knoxville club.

Just hours after the Vols wrapped up spring practice with the Orange and White Game on Saturday, one of the stars of the exhibition was picked up for misdemeanor charges for an incident on Sunday morning.

Darren Myles Jr., 19, who plays the safety position, was arrested about 2:29 a.m. by officers with the Knoxville Police Department, said police spokesman Darrell DeBusk.

Myles was charged with public intoxication, disorderly conduct and resisting arrest. He was jailed in lieu of $1,500 bond. Because of telephone and computer problems this morning at the Knox County Detention Facility, it was unclear if Myles was still in jail.

DeBusk said bouncers at Sobu, 6213 Kingston Pike, removed Myles “due to being intoxicated and disorderly.” Myles, police said, continued to create a disturbance in the parking lot of the club.

“Officers observed Myles being drunk and disorderly and riding on the hood of a vehicle in the parking lot,” DeBusk said.

Although DeBusk said, “Myles resisted arrest and started fighting with the officers as they were attempting to take him into custody,” no officers were injured during the incident.

DeBusk said Myles “had a strong smell of alcohol on his person and was unsteady on his feet.”
Old 04-19-2010, 12:43 PM   #67
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Note to QBs:

if your last name ends in "-berger", stay away from bars in Georgia
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:58 PM   #68
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
UGA freshman QB Zach Mettenberger dismissed from the team today after unspecified violation(s) of conduct rules (or some such vague terminology). You may recall up the thread a bit where he was suspended for 1 game after getting a handful of misdemeanor alcohol related charges back in March.

Still unclear what happened between then & now to trigger the tougher punishment, several wild rumors floating around but the most realistic sounding of those is that he was seen bar hopping downtown last night & someone dropped a dime on him to CMR.

Once considered a case of throwing a local kid a spare scholarship, he had become the slight favorite for the long term starter's job by clearly outperforming the other candidates in spring scrimmages.

I'm assuming Logan Grey is still a backup at QB at this point? He's a Columbia kid who decided to head out of state. Was curious where he stood at this point.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:02 PM   #69
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I'm assuming Logan Grey is still a backup at QB at this point? He's a Columbia kid who decided to head out of state. Was curious where he stood at this point.

Is he a QB? Is he a punt returner (which he did much of last season)? Is he another position waiting to finally be moved? Truth is, I don't think anyone knows for sure, including CMR.

Right now Aaron Murray looks like the probable starter with Grey as the backup, and record setting HS QB/inbound frosh Hutson Mason as a red-shirted #3 ... but that's this week. If Murray were to go south between now & fall then Grey certainly stands a chance of at least getting more playing time if not eventually earning the job.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:24 PM   #70
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Is he a QB? Is he a punt returner (which he did much of last season)? Is he another position waiting to finally be moved? Truth is, I don't think anyone knows for sure, including CMR.

Right now Aaron Murray looks like the probable starter with Grey as the backup, and record setting HS QB/inbound frosh Hutson Mason as a red-shirted #3 ... but that's this week. If Murray were to go south between now & fall then Grey certainly stands a chance of at least getting more playing time if not eventually earning the job.

Thanks. Sounds like not much has changed.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 06:17 PM   #71
MrBug708
Head Coach

Holy Crap, BYU just took a hit. Harvey Unga, BYU's all time leading rusher, just withdrew from BYU for an honor code violation. Coincidentally, or not, Unga's gf on the basketball team also withdrew from the school for a violation of the honor code. That suddenly became a pretty decent transfer for a school to possibly land
Old 04-19-2010, 07:19 PM   #72
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Holy Crap, BYU just took a hit. Harvey Unga, BYU's all time leading rusher, just withdrew from BYU for an honor code violation. Coincidentally, or not, Unga's gf on the basketball team also withdrew from the school for a violation of the honor code. That suddenly became a pretty decent transfer for a school to possibly land

Only a division 2 school, or 3 for that matter, as He cannot transfer and play for a div 1 (FCS) cause he is a senior to be.

more then likely his college career is over and he will try the NFL as a FA, or the supplemental draft.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:21 PM   #73
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
Only a division 2 school, or 3 for that matter, as He cannot transfer and play for a div 1 (FCS) cause he is a senior to be.

more then likely his college career is over and he will try the NFL as a FA, or the supplemental draft.

Word going around is that he is going into the supplemental draft. Also, rumor is that his girlfriend is pregnant.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:51 PM   #74
MrBug708
Head Coach

I can imagine that they didn't suddenly get self conscious about what they were doing, so a pregnancy seems likely
Old 04-19-2010, 11:09 PM   #75
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Unga still had eligibility left?

Really, from my perspective, this just rights everything back to where I thought it was in the first place.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:36 AM   #76
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:

Here is where it boils down...He was not kicked out, dismissed or anything else. He willingly withdrew from BYU due to his honor code violation. His girlfriend is also his fiance...they reported what they had done to their Bishops, and took the road of removing themselves from school. They will get married here soon, Harvey will do one of two things...

1) Get his Ecclesiastical Endorsement from his bishop to be able to attend BYU before the fall (Which I think will happen)

or

2) Apply for the supplemental draft / go free agent.

From talking with my contacts and with some of his family is that scenario 1 is the choice as he made the decision to come back to school his senior year because he was not grading well for the NFL and he also wants to get his diploma.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:07 PM   #77
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Cool article in the New York Times on Jake Locker and his decision to return for his Senior season at Washington:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/21/sp.../21locker.html
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:34 PM   #78
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Tomorrow's AJC is chock full of minor off-season goodies

-- UGA walk-on OL Josh Parrish suspended indefinitely after an underage possession arrest, second walk-on to run into that problem in the past week. The odd thing in the story that caught my eye? He was arrested & booked into the Athens-Clarke County jail at 415 this afternoon.

-- UGA's SID has confirmed that backup QB Logan Gray has met with CMR earlier today. Claude Felton says "Gray's current status with the team has not changed, however, he is weighing options for the remainder of his playing career". Rumors started last week that Gray was considering a transfer, which would leave the Dogs with only one scholarship QB on campus until fall & only two on the roster even after frosh Hutson Mason arrives.

-- And speaking of transfers, former Vols QB Nick Stephens has announced that he will transfer to D-II Tarleton (TX) State. Stephens said a review of his transcripts revealed he'll have two years to play.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:57 PM   #79
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

What is it with the walk-ons this month?

First UGA, now Arkansas

2 Hogs arrested on drug charge

FAYETTEVILLE — Arkansas defensive backs David Gordon and Hunter Miller were arrested on a charge of possession of a controlled substance by University of Arkansas police Monday night.

Miller and Gordon were observed by a police officer in a university parking lot lying in the back seat of a vehicle Monday evening. The police officer approached the vehicle and could spell a strong odor of burnt marijuana, according to a preliminary arrest report. A cloud of smoke rolled out of the vehicle when Miller opened the door and a plastic bag containing a "green leafy substance" was found inside the driver's side door panel, according to the report.

Gordon was identified as David D. Lopez in the police report and later in booking by the Washington County sheriff's office.

Arkansas Coach Bobby Petrino was aware of the arrests and was handling the situation, but did not have a comment when reached through the Arkansas media relations department Tuesday afternoon. ... Gordon battled injuries in the spring and did not participate in the Red-White game Saturday. He started in three games last season, playing in a total of 10 games, and had 11 tackles and 1 tackle for a loss.

Miller walked on at Arkansas in 2008 after he learned he would not be awarded an athletic scholarship at his school of choice, Ole Miss. He worked scout team for the Hogs in 2008, was not on the roster in 2009 and returned to the team this spring.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:38 PM   #80
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post

No video yet, but I'm listening to audio of the USC spring game and it sounds like Dillon Baxter just made another amazing run. He already has 6 carries for 106 yards.

Edit: Dillon finished with 13 carries for 129 yards. Funny quote from CLK when he was asked if he had ever seen a run like that before, "yes, on Playstation, that was the R2 button."

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 05-01-2010 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:20 PM   #81
MrBug708
Head Coach

That USC defense is gonna be bad. Good pick up on Grimble lite
Old 05-01-2010, 04:20 PM   #82
Izulde
Head Coach

UNLV's spring game was way back on the 17th, but the general sense I got from the reports I've been reading is that the defense will be improved (then again, it's hard to get worse than 115th), and it's still unclear who the starting QB is. On the other hand, Coach Hauck has no illusions about the team and says they need to improve and if we want to have a successful season. The players seem to be buying into that message of needing improvement, so I'm hopeful that maybe we can squeeze out a winning record, possibly go to a bowl game.

Then again, it's a new offense they're installing, one that has more of a balance to it, so who knows? Definitely something to keep tabs on as we get closer to the fall. By the way, starting QB battle is between senior Omar Clayton (the incumbent) and junior Mike Clausen, who's shown flashes of ability the past couple years.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 05:02 PM   #83
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

One other thought from what I heard during the audio today - Pete's biggest mistake may have been failing to put in Mustain during the Washington debacle last year when it was clear Corp couldn't get the job done. Mustain looked very good today..

Edit: Stats were just released from today's scrimmage - Mustain was 19 of 29 for 299 yards and 5 TD's. I think he could have made the difference last year in that game at least.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 05-01-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:47 PM   #84
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Looks like the other shoe fell on the dismissal of former UGA QB hopeful Zach Mettenberger.

Mettenberger pleads guilty to sexual battery | UGA sports blog

Former University of Georgia quarterback Zach Mettenberger today pleaded guilty in Lowndes County Superior Court to two charges of sexual battery arising from a March 7, 2010, incident in Remerton, Ga., according to Southern Judicial Circuit district attorney J. David Miller.

According to an e-mail from Miller to the AJC, Mettenberger “was sentenced to two concurrent 12-month periods of probation under the First Offender act, is to pay $35 per month for a probation supervision fee, pay a fine of $1,000 on each count, must consent to searches of his person, vehicle and premises at any time by any law enforcement officer without a search warrant and without probable cause and must not object to any item seized during any such search from being admitted into evidence in any court proceeding, must not drink any alcoholic beverage, nor be at any place where alcoholic beverages are sold, is banished from the city of Valdosta and must have no contact, direct or indirect , with the victim in the case.”

According to the district attorney, “the sexual battery counts were the result of Mettenberger grabbing the breasts and touching the buttocks of the victim.”
Old 05-03-2010, 09:50 PM   #85
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Atlanta's Hebert suspended from LSU for DWI *| ajc.com

Former Greater Atlanta Christian High School standout T-Bob Hebert has been suspended from the LSU football team following a DWI arrest, the New Orleans Times-Picayune is reporting.

Hebert, the son of former Atlanta Falcons quarterback Bobby Hebert, reportedly was arrested Friday night for driving drunk.

"We have a high level of expectations for the players in our program and this type of behavior is not acceptable," LSU head football coach Les Miles told the Times-Picayne Monday.

Hebert will be suspended for an indefinite time from all football activities, and can earn reinstatement upon completing an undisclosed list of obligations prescribed by Miles.

Hebert graduated from Greater Atlanta Christian in 2007, and currently is a junior at LSU. He started 11 games in 2009, but suffered a broken leg during spring practice.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:37 AM   #86
Poli
FOFC Survivor

You apparently have to watch what you say around Coach Dooley. When soph Aaron Douglas said he had to get away from Tennessee because his problems were "here at home", Dooley took it to heart.

Besides not being able to transfer to anyone on Tennessee's schedule, he also can't play for a school within an 8 hour drive of Knoxville.

Pack your bags, Mr. Douglas.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:56 AM   #87
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You apparently have to watch what you say around Coach Dooley. When soph Aaron Douglas said he had to get away from Tennessee because his problems were "here at home", Dooley took it to heart.

Besides not being able to transfer to anyone on Tennessee's schedule, he also can't play for a school within an 8 hour drive of Knoxville.

Pack your bags, Mr. Douglas.

Kind of silly really, since "an 8 hour drive" depends upon who's doing the driving.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:59 PM   #88
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

From ESPN:

Quote:
ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- The University of Michigan has been playing football for more than a century, earning respect by becoming the nation's winningest program while avoiding the stigma attached to teams that break NCAA rules.

Until now.

The school admitted Tuesday to a series of violations by its storied football program and said it had reprimanded seven people, including third-year coach Rich Rodriguez. Another staffer was fired and the school released more than 150 pages detailing a breakdown in communication within the athletic department as well as self-imposed sanctions that include two years of probation.

Schlabach: Michigan, Rodriguez Hit

Schlabach It likely happens at many campuses across the country, but Rich Rodriguez and Michigan were the ones caught breaking the rules, writes ESPN.com's Mark Schlabach. Story

The school now has to hope that its explanation and sanctions will satisfy the NCAA, which will hold a hearing on the case Aug. 13-14 in Seattle. A final decision isn't expected for 6-10 weeks later, perhaps sometime during the Big Ten season.

Athletic director David Brandon said he doesn't believe the problems related to practice time and coaching activities are enough to warrant the loss of scholarships or extreme disgrace.

"I don't think this is a black eye," Brandon said. "This is a bruise."

I stopped at my favorite part. Perhaps the AD should go visit the Med School.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:08 PM   #89
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Here is where it boils down...He was not kicked out, dismissed or anything else. He willingly withdrew from BYU due to his honor code violation. His girlfriend is also his fiance...they reported what they had done to their Bishops, and took the road of removing themselves from school. They will get married here soon, Harvey will do one of two things...

1) Get his Ecclesiastical Endorsement from his bishop to be able to attend BYU before the fall (Which I think will happen)

or

2) Apply for the supplemental draft / go free agent.

From talking with my contacts and with some of his family is that scenario 1 is the choice as he made the decision to come back to school his senior year because he was not grading well for the NFL and he also wants to get his diploma.

Well it came out last week that they will not let Harvey back into the school until January. He is now officially done as a Cougar. He can transfer to a lower level school and play immediately or try and get a FA invite to a team somewhere in the NFL.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:33 PM   #90
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Meant to mention this here a few days ago and forgot. USC has granted LB Jarvis Jones his unconditional release from the team. He's been diagnosed with some sort of neck injury that they say is a career ending injury, but he's gotten a "2nd or 3rd opinion" that says he can safely play, so he'll be transferring. It's good to see USC doing the right thing and putting the young man's health first despite the need at linebacker. FWIW, he was offered the same deal as Frankie Telfort, to be a sort of coach/player hybrid, remain around the team, and set himself up for a future career as a coach or in whatever his chosen field of study is.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:38 PM   #91
MrBug708
Head Coach

Gonna need his scholarship for the penalties huh?
Old 06-06-2010, 08:41 PM   #92
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Gonna need his scholarship for the penalties huh?

Nope, just a good move for his health. They wanted him to stay and be part of the team. They just wouldn't let him on the field because of a serious neck injury and he chose to go and risk it.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:40 PM   #93
DeToxRox
Head Coach

So according to several people Demar Dorsey is fully qualified to play football, but Michigan admissions will not let him in. Apparently he may end up at FSU after all.

At least we have a ruling, as much as it sucks. Our new AD is putting his foot down on borderline kids (only one other kid will not be in this class, Antonio Kinard from Ohio). Probably doesn't look good for RR but if he wins it won't matter.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:49 PM   #94
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Masoli gets busted rolling through a stop sign on a suspended license while carrying weed on him. He has since been booted from Oregon.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:55 PM   #95
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Masoli gets busted rolling through a stop sign on a suspended license while carrying weed on him. He has since been booted from Oregon.
Man, when some people fall, they fall hard.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:58 PM   #96
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Man, when some people fall, they fall hard.

Yep. Can't say I didn't see this one coming though.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:16 PM   #97
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Yep. Can't say I didn't see this one coming though.
True 'dat. I was amused seeing Oregon fans blustering about how the laptop theft story was all B.S., that Masoli wouldn't do that, and I kept thinking "Do you not know this kid's history?"

As a Husky fan, I'm highly amused at all of this. But taking off the purple hat, I just shake my head at the way this kid has been sabotaging himself. I don't think he had much of an NFL future anyway, but he could've at least had one more year of college football at the BCS level on a team that had (and may still have) a chance at finishing #1 in the country.