Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-20-2006, 06:59 AM   #51
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Sooners Football: Im pretty confident in the next 10 years OU will win a national title. Even if they don't I am happy since they have already won 2 in my lifetime, and I watched one of those games

Sooner Basketball: Im just not sure if OU will ever get over the hump and win. Not even in the next 10 years. I would be happy just to see them play in a championship game.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!

Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 07:03 AM   #52
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMetTrentGreen
rangers - ha. 1%

spurs - 99%
Wow, I've been playing Worldwide Soccer Manager too much. It took me several seconds to figure out that you meant the Texas Rangers and San Antonio Spurs.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:48 AM   #53
Emiliano
College Prospect

Cool thread. Let's see:

San Francisco 49ers: Mmm... Not really great chanches in the short period. I'd say we have to wait at least 2/3 years to see something. 5%.

Miami Hurricanes: Being an elite college football program, the Canes can contend almost every year. I follow college football only since 3/4 years, so I'm not a true expert, but I think that the next season could be a good one, better than the last. I'm hoping for an ACC title, at least. 50%.

Los Angeles Lakers: With Bryant playing "NBA Live", I don't see the Lakers as true contenders this season. They gotta bring in another true star player, a big man, to balance his ego and his personality (my dream is KG...), and obviously to raise the talent level. A playoff spot is a realistic goal. 20%.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:11 AM   #54
BuffaloHuskey
Mascot

I am 27

Buffalo Bills - I think we are just damned cursed, and honestly am not sure how long a team will stay in Buffalo once Ralph dies. I am sure many of you have seen the claymation commercial on ESPN spoofing the Bills, and it is probably a pretty close depiction of the reality of the Buffalo Bills. We do not have a good nucleus right now, even though I still like Losman. That being said I can't see us winning squat during this decade. I do have hope with the successes of other cursed franchises/cities in the recent years, so I will give the Bills a 30%

Buffalo Sabres - Well Hull's NO GOAL was B.S., and I think we should have won the Cup in '99 but what can you do. They have a solid nucleus and a low salary base. They are energetic and have great goal tending. I am feeling good about this squad, and give them a 30% chance of winning in the next five years and 60% chance of winning in my lifetime

UConn Huskies Men's Basketball - Yeah, I know it looks like I am a front runner, but I grew up outside Hartford before I moved to Buffalo, and since Buffalo has no major college sports, I remained a UConn fan. I can definately see them winning this year. I can't complain they have won two championships in the last six years, which somewhat makes up for the heartbreak of my Buffalo teams. I give them a 100% chance of winning another title in my lifetime.

San Francisco Giants - The first baseball game I ever went to was at the Stick when I was visiting my aunt. Wil Clark became my favorite player (he had a great game when I went to see him, and he is lefthanded like me) and I have rooted for the Giants ever since. I don't have much faith in this club, so I give them only a 10% chance of winning in my lifetime. They have given me a lot to cheer for over the last 18 years, so I can't complain too much.

I have no love for the NBA, and no college football rooting interest, although now that UConn is Div.1 I have been following them for the last few years. They have a long way to go (as with the rest of the Big East) before they have any shot at winning a title. I give them a 1% chance of winning it all. Connecticut is a basketball state, plain and simple.

Last edited by BuffaloHuskey : 01-20-2006 at 10:19 AM.
BuffaloHuskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 10:16 AM   #55
MrBug708
Head Coach

Im 23 and I think that all my teams will win a NC. Some more likely then others

UCLA Basketball - 100% sure they will win one. And probably before I turn 30. Ben Howland is an excellent coach and the team is pretty sic right now.

UCLA football - They have the resources but probably not with Dorrell at the helm. Of course, I didnt see 10 wins in them this year either. I'd say it's about a 40% chance in my lifetime

Los Angeles Dodgers - I'd say it's about a 95% chance that they will win in my lifetime

Los Angeles Galaxy - I'd say it's probably 100% they win again
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 05:48 PM   #56
bronconick
College Starter

I'm 25

Florida State football- 50%. Bowden's lost his touch, and who knows how long it'll take for the next decent coach to jump up. Even then, winning a NC isn't the easiest thing. (2 in 14 years that could have been 4-5) Recruiting base helps.

Detroit Pistons- 99% Seen 3, could easily see another one in the next few years, and it's one of two Detroit franchises who obviously care about success.

Detroit Lions- 25% That would be the "blind squirrel" in me. WCF can't outlive me, can he?

San Jose Sharks- 60% There's only room in hockey for a few snakebit franchises, and in theory, hockey should go a lot more toward the NFL model with their hard cap, making 10 year runs of dominance by any one team less likely and less dominating

Western Michigan football- 0% Only title they'd win is if the NCAA moves non BCS schools into 1-AA for some reason in my lifetime.

WMU basketball- .5% Only that high, because Gonzaga has proven that a smaller school from a non-major conference can become a consistant top 20 team in recent years. That would take a minor miracle, though.

WMU hockey- 2% They're in a "major" conference for hockey, at least, and in 2000, they were #5 for a week or two. A run or two is possible in my lifetime. I'd settle for winning a playoff series and playing defense right now.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 06:09 PM   #57
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

NFL: Cincinnati Bengals. If Palmer returns healthy, 80%. If he doesn't the Bungles may return at which case I will go 5%

Baseball: Cardinals. Chance of returning to at least 5 World Series. 100% Chance of winning even one of those. 25%

NCAA Football: Mizzou 0%

NCAA Basketball: Mizzou 0%

NHL: Who cares?

Some of the previous posters are nuts with their NCAA predictions. If you want to know about a Mizzou final four or a trip to a big bowl. I am sure something will happen. But seeing the Mizzou has won neither in the past 100 years, I am not sure why much will change in the next 50.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 06:11 PM   #58
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick

WMU basketball- .5% Only that high, because Gonzaga has proven that a smaller school from a non-major conference can become a consistant top 20 team in recent years. That would take a minor miracle, though.

200-1? You should look at Vegas odds for some quality teams this year who are at 200-1 to win it all. I will book this bet in a heartbeat. You site Gonzaga as an example of winning the national championship? How many do they have? How many final fours do they have?

Last edited by panerd : 01-20-2006 at 06:12 PM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 06:25 PM   #59
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd
200-1? You should look at Vegas odds for some quality teams this year who are at 200-1 to win it all. I will book this bet in a heartbeat. You site Gonzaga as an example of winning the national championship? How many do they have? How many final fours do they have?
.5% is a small enough number to imply that it's extremely unlikely, but slightly more likely then college football as currently created.

Otherwise, how's this for a theory of such a high number-
I figure by 2040, the NBA development leagues will be in full swing, eliminating the edge major colleges have in basketball, and it will become a crapshoot.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 06:46 PM   #60
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

49ers-As has been said before, the NFL is so parity-driven that I would be supremely surprised if the Niners didn't win another one during my lifetime. I may have to wait until John York dies/retires. 65%

Warriors-I like Chris Mullin as a GM, and I think this team is a couple years from being a legitimate contender for the NBA crown. 65%

San Francisco Giants-It's either this year, or not for a long time. 30%

San Jose Sharks-Good team, good front office, good fan support. I'd say this team has the best chance of any to win a title 75%

Stanford football-Never gonna happen..Maybe 1 or 2 Rose Bowls, but no national title ever. 0%

Stanford basketball-If Mike Montgomery was still the coach, I'd say 65%, but I'm not so sure about Trent Johnson. They can still get good kids in there to play, though. I'll say 35%
Old 06-09-2010, 09:31 PM   #61
Swaggs
Coordinator

Bump. I found this while searching for something else and thought it was pretty funny to read 4 1/2 years later.

There is a lot of gold here (from just the first three posts):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post

WVU Mountaineers (football) -- I would say there is a reasonable chance. We have played for a shot twice in my memory and our new head coach has me optimistic. Still probably less than a 25% chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
Dolphins- pretty good, im very confident in Nick Saban, and i think we will win a super bowl within 3 years. 75%

Hoosiers- I think we have an excellent chance this season, and am confident in 1 title in the next decade. Mike Davis has given me alot of hope with the kids he's recruiting. 50%

Notre Dame- Charlie Weiss has my confidence soaring. 95%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

Detroit Pistons -- The Pistons have been one of the NBA's best teams the last few years. They have a great core of players. Dumars is very good as a GM/team president, the Darko pick aside. They won the Championship two years ago, came within one game last year, and are currently the best team in the NBA. I would say around a 75% chance.

Also, we were all a lot younger 5-years ago.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:47 PM   #62
Galaril
Pro Starter

Red Sox-Check

Celtics-Check

Houston Oilers- 25% chance they win one eventually or move out of town if they don't .....................ahh what? they did ahh fuck!

Titans- As long as Bud Adams is living 5% and a direct descendant of his 15%. If a new ownership comes into Nashville and takes it serious maybe 30%. Lots if's with this group.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:58 PM   #63
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
Age 25

LSU
(Football) I would bet on at least one or two more in my lifetime, if not more 96%

Only took a year past that to realize that 96%, so good call. Too bad it will probably be a great deal longer for the third.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
New Orleans Saints - Not likely 5%

Los Angeles Saints - Slightly more likely 6%

Ye of little faith on two accounts. It was hard to be optimistic on the Saints winning or staying in New Orleans long term after the Katrina year of '05 though.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:59 PM   #64
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Age 28:

I'm suprised at how few 100%'s we're seeing here, I will throw one out there:

North Carolina (College basketball) - I have 100% confidence that we will see another UNC basketball championship in my lifetime. Hell, I expect 4 or 5 more in my lifetime minimum.

hooray!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:50 PM   #65
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Team: Brighton and Hove Albion
We've a new ground on the way so that should all being well give us a bit of a boost and possibly take us as far as the Premiership, our location gives us a good catchment area for both fans and youngsters - so perhaps one day who knows, I'm an eternal optimist
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:00 AM   #66
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post

Team: Brighton and Hove Albion
We've a new ground on the way so that should all being well give us a bit of a boost and possibly take us as far as the Premiership, our location gives us a good catchment area for both fans and youngsters - so perhaps one day who knows, I'm an eternal optimist

One of my favorite teams in FM!

They are always my first team to play with every new version.

Took 'em to the top of the world once. A Treble, with the Premier Division Title, FA Cup, and League Cup.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:25 AM   #67
JediKooter
Coordinator

San Diego Chargers - 15% Ownership is too scared to pay for talent that can win the Super Bowl. Historically, there's always, always, always been pieces of the puzzle missing. Dan Fouts era, they had no defense. Philip Rivers era, they have too soft of a defense. If the Chargers ever put a defense on the field like the Steelers to go along with a Philip Rivers led offense, then I'd say their chances get up into the 80 percent range and they won't have rely on a shell shocked kicker to win playoff games for them.

San Diego Padres - 3% This is a team (again, historically) that thinks signing players in their 40s that were super stars in their 20s and 30s will improve the team. No, it doesn't!! The Padres also have really never seen a need to keep a super star around for a long time (except for Tony Gwynn & Trevor Hoffman) and usually end up trading them right as the team is getting good. One fun game of mine that I play when the All-Star rosters are announced is to count how many FORMER Padres are on the there. Until an owner comes in there and is willing to buy a championship like the Red Sox or Yankees, I'm going to be like one of those 96 year old Cub fans waiting for them to win the World Series.

Celtics - 100% I saw them win in the 80s and they just won a couple of years ago. Barring any fire sales or major injuries, there should be at least 1 or 5 more in lifetime.

Clippers - 1% with a +/- of 5% depending on who owns them. What is there really to say? It's the Clippers.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4

Last edited by JediKooter : 06-10-2010 at 11:26 AM.
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:26 PM   #68
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMetTrentGreen View Post
cowboys - i don't know, subtract arizona and new orleans, and they've got a 1 in 30 chance every year for as long as i live, and i hope to get through at least 50 more years. so if i dont get hit by a bus, 99%
Good call!
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:59 PM   #69
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

That is hilarious. Typical IMTG.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:01 PM   #70
MrDNA
High School Varsity

This thread is a goldmine of amusement.
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote