Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-05-2008, 08:36 AM   #1
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

New X-Com game from 2K Boston in the works for consoles????

X-Com fans, retain your guarded optimism. 2K bought the X-Com rights last year and it appears that they may be developing a new game............

http://kotaku.com/386976/ken-levine-...new-x+com-game

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 11:13 AM   #2
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Please don't get my hopes up.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 11:15 AM   #3
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I heard about this a while ago. It's in very promising hands, but for consoles? Really?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 12:55 PM   #4
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I heard about this a while ago. It's in very promising hands, but for consoles? Really?

The number of companies that are willing to make PC games continue to drop dramatically. You know it's a lousy market when EA Sports stops making their franchise title for the PC. Granted, Madden sucks, but that never stopped them from making PC games before.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 08:26 PM   #5
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Ouch

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:39 AM   #6
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Well, they just announced the new XCOM game. Not only is it for consoles, but it's a f*cking first person shooter.

X-COM to be Developed by Irrational’s Red-Headed Stepchild | Tap-Repeatedly.com
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 04-14-2010, 10:46 AM   #7
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

They were making a X-Com FPS when the series got canned before.

This won't end well (though I hope it does).
Old 04-14-2010, 10:48 AM   #8
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Well, Steam has the original with a built-in DOSBOX config that works fine on my Win7 box, so I'll just keep playing that.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:49 AM   #9
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

I will say, if the combat system is both squad-based and setup similar to the Fallout 3 system, then it could work and work well. I would hope that they maintain the business and research side of things as well, but we'll see. I think they could make a good game with those above ideas.

But I'll remain pessimistic until I see otherwise.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:59 AM   #10
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

IGN Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Above Article
Not much detail is yet available about the game. The press release states you'll play from the perspective of an FBI agent trying to wipe out a mysterious threat. We'll update as soon as we know more.

An FBI agent? Why do I get visions of the X-Files when I think about this game now.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:10 PM   #11
bhlloy
Coordinator

"yes this is all great but where are mulder and scully? what do you mean we bought the wrong fricking franchise?"

Seriously though, I have no idea why you would pay for the X-Com series and then make it into a generic FPS where you are an FBI agent. That's like buying a Porsche and tearing off all the branding and distinctive bodywork and making it look like a VW.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:43 PM   #12
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Well, Steam has the original with a built-in DOSBOX config that works fine on my Win7 box, so I'll just keep playing that.

Please describe fine, i would love to play the series again but my issue in the past, a few years ago and on Windows XP, was that everything moved to fast due to modern cpu clocks, time past really fast, as were animations etc.

Don't you have that issues in the Steam version? if not i'll purchase it for sure.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:03 PM   #13
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
Please describe fine, i would love to play the series again but my issue in the past, a few years ago and on Windows XP, was that everything moved to fast due to modern cpu clocks, time past really fast, as were animations etc.

Don't you have that issues in the Steam version? if not i'll purchase it for sure.

Out of curiosity have you tried DOSBox? Its lets you set the emulated cpu speed. The first 3 XCom games work fine for me running it. I think the 4th runs fine in Windows XP but includes a very annoying and possibly gamekilling bug.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:05 PM   #14
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post

I have X-Com on Steam and it runs as smooth and clean as ever. Nothing is hyper-fast, the sound works. It's as close to playing it back in 1994 (or whatever) as you can get. Super cheap to boot and, while I had only played a few months in, I didn't experience any crashes.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:24 PM   #15
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Yeah, I got like 6 X-Com games off Steam a few weeks ago for $2. It was amazing.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:11 PM   #16
Atocep
Coordinator

This doesn't get me the least bit excited. If you're going to make an XCom game it needs to be a turn based strategy. Anything else is just cashing in on the XCom name.

All this game is going to do is get me even more pissed off that no one has come close to capturing the greatness of the original.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:22 PM   #17
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
This doesn't get me the least bit excited. If you're going to make an XCom game it needs to be a turn based strategy. Anything else is just cashing in on the XCom name.

All this game is going to do is get me even more pissed off that no one has come close to capturing the greatness of the original.

Aye. It's bizzare really. I mean, the X-Com universe is hardly very interesting, story-wise (aliens invading! oh noez!), yet the last couple of X-Com releated releases have been mediocre (or worse) forrays into other genres that are of little interest to fans of those genres OR fans of the original X-Com games.

I mean seriously, X-Com exists as a brand because of the original turn-based games! Why not, you know, release another turn-based game! But hey, what would I know, I'm just a consumer in the target demographic for an X-Com game.

Last edited by Groundhog : 04-14-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:57 PM   #18
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post

I don't even get that part though, is the X-Com name really one to cash in on in the console shooter market? The last successful game in the series was released in 1997. I don't see this being a game that's going to draw people in on the name, and for the people who did play the earlier games how many will be interested in it with the series switching from turn based squad combat to a FPS where you're an FBI (wtf? ) agent?

This seems like something that would be better off as new IP instead of X-Com, at least then you're not going to have pissed off fans of the previous games.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:00 AM   #19
mckerney
Coordinator

Bah, at least the are new games in the Jagged Alliance and Syndicate series.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:13 AM   #20
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post

Serious? I'm out of the loop...
Old 04-15-2010, 12:51 AM   #21
stevew
Hall Of Famer

This will probably be as awesome as the Wii tecmo bowl that came out this past winter.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:47 PM   #22
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post

Syndicate is back?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:51 PM   #23
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Perhaps there is hope yet...

This game "Xenonauts" appears to be the latest "spiritual successor" to X-Com from an indy producer:

http://www.xenonauts.com/index.php

I read through the website. They certainly talk a good game and appear to "get" what made X-Com so great. If they can pull it off, the game could be sweet.

Between this and that "Elemental" game (or whatever it is called), there is still hope yet for turn-based gems.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:06 PM   #24
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

E3 Trailer is out.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:20 PM   #25
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Looks rather interesting, but that's so not X-Com and I'm not talking even the FPS aspect. The aliens need to have the classic look. Those were just misshaped black things.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:51 PM   #26
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Yeah, makes me think Venom is somewhere in the game.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:05 PM   #27
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
E3 Trailer is out.

Not sure if this is the right treatment for XCom ... but it sure does look nice.

You can definitely see the Bioshock influences but I dunno about the X-Files black oil villains.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:27 AM   #28
Atocep
Coordinator

Unfortunately it's exactly what I was expecting from Irrational Games. Bioshock was more or less a remake of System Shock 2. This looks more like Bioshock 3 than anything else.

They're good developers, but innovation and new concepts aren't exactly their strong points. Almost everything they do goes back to System Shock.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote