Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-05-2009, 06:39 PM   #51
Masked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
No, he'll sign a new contract with his new team.

But any new contract would have to have at least $15m in guaranteed money which is rather steep.

Masked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:45 PM   #52
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I would guess that he is looking at somewhere between Matt Schaub and Aaron Rodgers money.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:15 PM   #53
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
No, he'll sign a new contract with his new team.

If he chooses to. Why would you give up $15 in guaranteed money for 1 year. I would have no motivation to sign elsewhere. Take the cash and then sign the following year. Just seems like this gives him a ton of leverage.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:19 PM   #54
Masked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
If he chooses to. Why would you give up $15 in guaranteed money for 1 year. I would have no motivation to sign elsewhere. Take the cash and then sign the following year. Just seems like this gives him a ton of leverage.

Well, if the new deal gives significantly more guaranteed money (say $20-$25M) it provides him protection against injury or poor play (which could be due just to less talent around him outside of New England) - $15M is a floor.
Masked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:25 PM   #55
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked View Post
Well, if the new deal gives significantly more guaranteed money (say $20-$25M) it provides him protection against injury or poor play (which could be due just to less talent around him outside of New England) - $15M is a floor.

Wouldn't you be better off sitting as a backup in New England for a year and then testing the free agent waters after? That way you already have the the $15m in guaranteed in your pocket for an injury free year as a backup. Your demand is still high and you can cash in on the $25-$30 million in guaranteed money that quarterbacks like him seem to be getting.

I guess what I'm saying is that if I'm Cassell, I don't even negotiate with the current year. I just say "I'm getting $15 million no matter what and that has nothing to do with my extension". Then I work out a deal for what guys like Rodgers have gotten. That would then mean a team would have to invest $25-$30m in guaranteed for an extension on top of the $15m owed to him for the current year.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:30 PM   #56
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

How much is the ability to be a starter worth to him? It's a little cynical to think he'd have to favor the cash grab if he's getting paid well and starting elsewhere.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:35 PM   #57
molson
General Manager

I don't think the Pats are going to have a $15 million backup on the roster.

My guess is that they know Brady will be back, but are creating some mystery for the purpose of trade leverage.

Sure, you can't be 100% sure Brady will be back to his old form, but no team can be 100% sure of their QB. That doesn't mean you pay a backup $15 million.

Last edited by molson : 02-05-2009 at 07:36 PM.
molson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:39 PM   #58
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I don't think he'll be on the roster as a 15 mil backup, but I don't think they can make that decision until they've seen Brady at close to full practice. Trading him before the 2009 draft is very risky.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:01 PM   #59
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The franchise tag just makes me believe that the Pats think that Brady won't be ready. The Patriots have some holes and I can't see them putting $15 million into a backup QB.

the buzz on sports radio around here today is that Brady is throwing, running and is in good shape on the rehab
Old 02-05-2009, 08:10 PM   #60
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm wondering what the rules for next offseason will be. If the Pats can just put a restricted tag on him he doesn't have the leverage I think he does. He will have less than the 6 years required to be a FA. If the tender that year is only like 3M, then signing the tag this year is dumb.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:35 AM   #61
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Todd Haley has accepted the head coach spot in KC. Announcement won't be made until contract details are ironed out.

Chiefs hire Haley as head coach - Kansas City Star
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:45 AM   #62
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I'm wondering what the rules for next offseason will be. If the Pats can just put a restricted tag on him he doesn't have the leverage I think he does. He will have less than the 6 years required to be a FA. If the tender that year is only like 3M, then signing the tag this year is dumb.

The 'uncapped year' was put in, supposedly as a poision pill for the owners. There are so many restrictions though, it will not be the bonanza for the players that many think it will be.

If he signs the franchise tender and stays with the Pats next year, and 2010 is uncapped, Cassell's choices will be the same as players' options prior to FA - take whatever the Pats offer, or hold out. Cassell would be in the interesting position of making 15 mil in 2009, and the vet minimum in 2010. He would not be tagged that year - there is no reason to use one on a player who is not eligible for FA.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:33 PM   #63
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Yes but as far as I understand he would be part of the rfa process. I'm not sure whether his RFA tender would be something like the 3m first and third tender or if it would be 120 percent or thereabouts of his 2009 number

Regardless I doubt it can be the vet min and totally restrict his movement. I will be shocked if we see an uncapped year anyways.

Last edited by stevew : 02-06-2009 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:00 PM   #64
miami_fan
Coordinator

The blackout rules extend to the Pro Bowl too? Really?

NFL grants Hawaii a second local TV blackout extension for Pro Bowl - ESPN

Quote:
HONOLULU -- The NFL has granted Hawaii a second TV blackout extension for the Pro Bowl.

The league said Friday that Sunday's all-star game at Aloha Stadium must be sold out by 11:30 a.m. Saturday -- 24 hours before kickoff -- or the contest won't be televised in the state.

The original 72-hour deadline came and went Thursday, with the league granting a one-day extension. It passed Friday morning with about 1,500 tickets still available, about half the number that remained Thursday.

The Pro Bowl has sold out, usually weeks in advance, every year since moving to the 50,000-seat Aloha Stadium in 1980. The 1982 game was blacked out locally, although it was sold out by kickoff.

"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:07 PM   #65
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Did the chiefs interview a minority?
Old 02-18-2009, 07:47 PM   #66
DeToxRox
Head Coach

some franchise tags handed down:

Giants franchise Jacobs
Cards franchise Dansby
Ravens franchise Suggs
Bengals franchise Graham
Chargers franchise Sproles
Rams franchsie Atogwe

Peppers and Asomugah are going to be probably be franchised. Looking like Bucs will franchise Antonio Bryant also.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:47 PM   #67
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Dola, Marvin Harrison to be cut.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:51 PM   #68
Travis
Pro Rookie

Wow, that seems silly for Sproles. I know his stock has gone through the roof but I still can't imagine he'd last as a full time #1, let alone being worth the tag price if he's going to be a 3rd down/insurance back.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:56 PM   #69
RendeR
Coordinator

Wait, the Bengals put the franchise tag on...the KICKER?

Graham is good but he aint THAT good.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:32 PM   #70
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Wait, the Bengals put the franchise tag on...the KICKER?

Graham is good but he aint THAT good.

I don't see a problem with it. I mean, is there another impending free agent on the Bengals more worthy of the franchise tag? It probably makes sense financially.

The Lions were considering it with Hanson and would have if they hadn't reached a deal.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:03 PM   #71
Thomkal
Head Coach

Not surprised at all that my beloved Cards franchised Dansby. They couldn't afford to let him get away considering their lack of depth at the LB spot. I think the Chargers franchising Sproles probably means the end of Tomlinson there.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:11 PM   #72
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Thomkal, do you always refer to them as "my beloved Cards?" Just something I've noticed, not hating.

Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:14 AM   #73
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
Thomkal, do you always refer to them as "my beloved Cards?" Just something I've noticed, not hating.

Yep, I do. At least now I really have a reason to love them.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:54 PM   #74
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Seahawks franchsied Leroy Hill
Texans franchised Dunta Robinson
Old 02-19-2009, 12:57 PM   #75
DeToxRox
Head Coach

And more ..

Panthers franchise Peppers
Titans are going to franchsie Scaife

Panthers also make Jordan Gross the highest paid OT in the NFL, garauntee him 30.5 mil over the next 3 years of a 6 year, 60 million dollar deal.

Aso is also about to finalize a new deal giving him 26 mil garaunteed over the next 2 years.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:52 PM   #76
DeToxRox
Head Coach

And Stevew is happy ..

Steelers franchise Max Starks
Old 02-19-2009, 04:11 PM   #77
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Aso is also about to finalize a new deal giving him 26 mil garaunteed over the next 2 years.

Seeing $45.3M over 3. I wonder if it includes a massive roster bonus in the 2nd year, 2010, which would be the famous uncapped year.

And weird wording at ESPN-

Quote:
Sources said Asomugha is guaranteed $28.5 million in a complicated deal that features a provision in which the entire contract can be guaranteed if the Raiders decide to keep the 27-year-old for the third season.

If he's kept for all 3 seasons of the deal, wouldn't it in essence already be "guaranteed"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
And Stevew is happy ..

Steelers franchise Max Starks

Had to do something, they only had Willie Colon returning...which is a nice way of saying we had no tackles.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:30 AM   #78
Danny
Head Coach

Wow, for once the Raiders are actually having a great off-season.

We locked up the leagues best man-to-man corner, punter and a pretty good #2 corner in Chris Johnson. I'm very surprised, but it's great to give some money to our best players and not throw it at other team's crappy free agents. All these players were here last year, so this doesn't make them a playoff team, but it helps establish some belief in the players that things are turning around. It says a lot that the league's #1 corner and punter chose to sign those deals with the team when they could have gotten at least that on the open market.

I also think the players had to be happy to have coach Cable back. We'll see more about how good of a coach he is this year, but his positive attitude and motivational style has clearly gained the respect of the players. I'm sure Also would not have resigned otherwise as he clearly wanted out of Oakland during last season, especially when Kiffin was here..

I had pretty much given up on the Raiders being a good team the past few years, but I have hint of optimism right now that things could be turning around. Again, we'll see how this translates to on the field, but the culture of the team appears to be changing. Hopefully the team continues this by having a solid draft and signing some under the radar value free agents.

Last edited by Danny : 02-20-2009 at 03:47 AM.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:32 AM   #79
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
And weird wording at ESPN-

If he's kept for all 3 seasons of the deal, wouldn't it in essence already be "guaranteed"?

I think this is just ESPN saying something stupid. Of course if a player plays out all the years of a contact everything is guaranteed.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:03 AM   #80
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
I think this is just ESPN saying something stupid. Of course if a player plays out all the years of a contact everything is guaranteed.

Six year deal. If he's kept for the first three seasons, the final three become guaranteed.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:18 AM   #81
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Six year deal. If he's kept for the first three seasons, the final three become guaranteed.

It's not though, that was the rumor originally. It's a 3 year deal only.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:08 AM   #82
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I'm not sure that this has been officially passed to the media yet, but Mizzou defensive coordinator Matt Eberflus is going to be hired as the new defensive coordinator for the Cleveland Browns.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:26 AM   #83
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The Mizzou defensive coordinator gets a promotion?
Old 02-20-2009, 02:15 PM   #84
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I thought Rob Ryan was the defensive coordinator for the Browns.

And as for Starks, there were no other options. They have enough cap space so I would have been angry if they didn't do anything with him.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:28 PM   #85
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
The Mizzou defensive coordinator gets a promotion?

Yeah, what's up with that... I wonder if it was the Kansas or Oklahoma games from last year that convinced the Browns to give him a shot?
Old 02-20-2009, 02:41 PM   #86
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Yeah, what's up with that... I wonder if it was the Kansas or Oklahoma games from last year that convinced the Browns to give him a shot?

As was just said, the Browns have a DC, maybe he getting a spot as a position coach.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:48 PM   #87
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Wow, for once the Raiders are actually having a great off-season.

uhh, i havent seen it, but ok.

$16m for a punter?

i mean, they gave that dt turned de who had no sacks $50m last year, so just re-signed your own players doesnt mean anything.

but good luck!
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:15 PM   #88
Logan
Head Coach

If we're really progressing to talking about position coaches...Rutgers Offensive Coordinator John McNulty is now the Cardinals WR coach, while our RB coach Gary Brown is taking the same role with the aforementioned Browns.

Last edited by Logan : 02-20-2009 at 03:17 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:24 PM   #89
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
uhh, i havent seen it, but ok.

$16m for a punter?

i mean, they gave that dt turned de who had no sacks $50m last year, so just re-signed your own players doesnt mean anything.

but good luck!

I explained why this has been a great off season so far with the rest of my post. And their off season last year was bad, but I didn't say anything about that.

Last edited by Danny : 02-20-2009 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:32 PM   #90
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I explained why this has been a great off season so far with the rest of my post. And their off season last year was bad, but I didn't say anything about that.

Not trying to pile on, but I honestly (maybe for the first time) feel bad for Raider fans due to them hiring John Marshall to be their DC. I hope for your sake that he improves his play calling dramatically from the last few years. It was a happy, happy day for Seahawk fans when he was shown the door after how brutally he misused the talent at his disposal last year.

That said, can't say I personally agree with how much money they threw at Asomugha (something like $6 million more than the franchise tag would have paid him and nearly $3 million more per year than the next highest paid CB) but hopefully he can keep his level of play where it was last year. That kind of money for a punter is just insane though.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:41 PM   #91
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Not trying to pile on, but I honestly (maybe for the first time) feel bad for Raider fans due to them hiring John Marshall to be their DC. I hope for your sake that he improves his play calling dramatically from the last few years. It was a happy, happy day for Seahawk fans when he was shown the door after how brutally he misused the talent at his disposal last year.

That said, can't say I personally agree with how much money they threw at Asomugha (something like $6 million more than the franchise tag would have paid him and nearly $3 million more per year than the next highest paid CB) but hopefully he can keep his level of play where it was last year. That kind of money for a punter is just insane though.

Raiders fans felt the same way about Rob Ryan and Cleveland is happy to have him. I thought the DC hire was decent, he had some good years with Seattle before falling apart the last year or two. Hopefully he will do better here.

Franchising Aso would have cost about 3 mil less over the contract, but I'm glad they didn't. You don't need that kind of unhappiness from your best player. It showed me a lot that they payed someone who deserved it even if it is a couple million too much per season. And on the open market, I'm sure someone would have payed just as much. Take a look at his numbers, he had one of the best seasons for a CB ever last year.

As for Lecher, he's been the Raiders best player over the past several years. It's a lot for a punter, but it's worth it to show the team that if your perform you will get paid. Like I said, it's about changing the culture and mindset of the team. That doesn't necessarily equal wins, but it at least gives some hope.

The one thing Davis has always done well is finagle with the cap. I'm not worried about a couple million too much here and there. He locked up the Raiders only two pro bowl players and that's good. It needs to be accompanied by better coaching and the development of young players, but after the last 6 years it is at least a good sign.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:13 PM   #92
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
RoarReport.com has learned that the Detroit Lions may have dealt veteran quarterback Jon Kitna to the New York Jets in exchange for a late-round draft choice.

Interesting. I happen to like this move as long as it's for a 6th or 7th rounder.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:53 PM   #93
Logan
Head Coach

Good move, if it keeps them away from going after someone like Leftwich while giving Ratliff/Clemens a shot. Ratliff looked good in those preseason games, and the last I read from Ryan said the org was split about who would probably end up being the starter.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:15 PM   #94
Atocep
Coordinator

Crabtree has a stress fracture in his leg and won't be able to run before the draft. He's also measured about 2 inches shorter than he was listed by Tech. Speed was the big question for him so it'll be interesting to see if he slips out of the top 5 because of this.

Also, either Andre Smith has the worst agent in all of sports or he's just completely ignoring all advice. His time at the combine has been a disaster according to what I've read and CNNSI has reported a few teams are just taking him off their board altogether.

In other news, USC's kicker did 25 reps and ran a 4.54....

EDIT: right after I post this ESPN reports Crabtree is going to put off surgery so he can run the 40 so it must be a pretty big deal as far as his draft position goes.

Last edited by Atocep : 02-21-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:52 PM   #95
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Good move, if it keeps them away from going after someone like Leftwich while giving Ratliff/Clemens a shot. Ratliff looked good in those preseason games, and the last I read from Ryan said the org was split about who would probably end up being the starter.

Eh, just found out it wasn't true (The Lions denied it....guess there is a chance it still might happen). Kind of bummed. I'm a big fan of Ratliff, but would have loved Kitna to be a backup.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:08 PM   #96
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Crabtree seems a lot like Peter Warrick to me, a productive receiver, but never sniffing a Pro Bowl.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:38 PM   #97
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Crabtree seems a lot like Peter Warrick to me, a productive receiver, but never sniffing a Pro Bowl.

I have some concerns about him as well, but I think he'll be much better than Warrick.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:49 PM   #98
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post

In other news, USC's kicker did 25 reps and ran a 4.54....

I read that and wasn't surprised. David Buehler is very athletic. That being said, I think some USC fans who are saying he could be a backup safety as well as kicker for an NFL team are crazy.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:38 AM   #99
Radii
Head Coach

In the studio:

Quote:
ESPN has decided after two seasons that former Dallas Cowboys great Emmitt Smith doesn’t cut it as an NFL analyst.

Spokesmen for the network said his contract, which expired this month, would not be renewed.

Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:19 AM   #100
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Good to hear. I don't think I ever heard him offer any statement with even a hint of insight.