Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-28-2009, 04:36 PM   #151
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
At this money, it was a great signing for the Redskins.

Yeah. He aint seeing the 29M he makes during the 5th year.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:47 PM   #152
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker rocky View Post
Brian Dawkins to the Broncos.

Basically, a salary cut for the Eagles, and a player at or near the end of his career for the Broncos.

I hate to see this. Dawkins was always one of my favorite players and I was hoping he would retire an Eagle.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:13 PM   #153
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Here's a trade I just thought of that I think makes sense. Browns trade number 5 and Braylon to the Lions for number 1 overall. Browns draft Curry who they desperately need. Lions get another playmaker at WR and can probably still get Stafford or a tackle or that DT from BC.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:22 PM   #154
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Apparently the Lions were trying to swing a trade to the Patriots for Matt Cassel and then they were going to turn around and trade Cassel to the Broncos for Cutler.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:06 PM   #155
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Vikings going to get Houzmeandaszah?
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:07 PM   #156
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

They need weapons for Rosenfels, right? Right?
Old 02-28-2009, 08:22 PM   #157
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
The Lions sign WR Bryant Johnson.

They also trade Jon Kitna to the Cowboys.

In return the Lions get CB Anthony Henry from Dallas.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:49 PM   #158
sabotai
General Manager

The Giants signed (or are about to sign) DT Rocky Bernard (Seattle). I like the signing since both Cofield and Robbins seemed to run out of gas at the end of the season. Bernard, Cofield and Robbins rotating in and out (while also getting Alford in there to help him develop) should keep the Giants defensive line fresh through the entire season.

The Giants also signed LB Michael Boley (Atlanta). Apparently they plan to play him on the weakside. I like this signing, too, since I thought the outside LBs for the Giants was where they were the weakest last season.

Not the biggest names out there (Seems like Hoosyourmamma is going to visit the G-Men soon, but I doubt they have the money to make a try at him) but the Giants don't really need many pieces and they really needed some depth at LB and DT.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:05 PM   #159
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Apparently the Lions were trying to swing a trade to the Patriots for Matt Cassel and then they were going to turn around and trade Cassel to the Broncos for Cutler.

Has Cutler fallen out of favor or did McDaniel just want one of his guys there?

Sounds like it would have been a pretty risky move from the Broncos' point of view.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:36 PM   #160
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It is getting stupid how we have the same conversations going on in multiple threads.

Merger time.

Especially if you're me and like looking back at old threads 3 or 4 years later.

And it's about time for that 5 years later draft thread. That's always one of my faves.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:47 PM   #161
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
It is getting stupid how we have the same conversations going on in multiple threads.

Merger time.

Especially if you're me and like looking back at old threads 3 or 4 years later.

And it's about time for that 5 years later draft thread. That's always one of my faves.

Yeah, I much prefer it when all of the signings and posts are just kept to one thread.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:48 PM   #162
Danny
Head Coach

I think both the Boley and Bernard are really good ones for the Giants. They may not be stars, but they add to an an already really good defense.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:52 PM   #163
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Saints Resigned Vilma & Stinchcomb, its great to get both of these players locked up.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:22 AM   #164
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Didn't see in here yet-

Lito Sheppard to the Jets for a 5th and conditional.

NFL Network said something about him falling to 5th on the depth chart. Has he fallen THAT far? I get Samuel and Brown. But Joselio Hanson and whoever else is on the roster?
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:27 AM   #165
Logan
Head Coach

Sheppard was supposedly almost gone for a late 1st/early 2nd last year.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:47 AM   #166
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I hate to see this. Dawkins was always one of my favorite players and I was hoping he would retire an Eagle.

A popular player leaving to sign with another team is disappointing.

Examples include: Taylor-Jaguars-Patriots, Harrison-Colts-unsigned,
Brooks-Tampa Bay-unsigned, and a few others. These 3 though were the most popular with the team, and figured to retire with their original team.

As the saying goes in the NFL(not-for-long), and it's a business.

When one goes, another younger player comes along to replace him in the popularity department.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:31 AM   #167
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker rocky View Post
A popular player leaving to sign with another team is disappointing.

Examples include: Taylor-Jaguars-Patriots, Harrison-Colts-unsigned,
Brooks-Tampa Bay-unsigned, and a few others. These 3 though were the most popular with the team, and figured to retire with their original team.

As the saying goes in the NFL(not-for-long), and it's a business.

When one goes, another younger player comes along to replace him in the popularity department.

Yeah, sometimes it has to do with a player who is oblivious to their declining skill level and is unwilling to take any kind of a pay cut (Harrison).
Old 03-01-2009, 11:35 AM   #168
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Sounds like the Coast Guard is searching for a missing boat that had 3 NFL players on it. They went out fishing yesterday, but didn't come back last night.

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2009/3/1/443250.html
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:27 PM   #169
Swaggs
Coordinator

Kurt Warner is apparently visiting the 49ers now.

It would be pretty hard to believe that he'd leave the Cards.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:11 PM   #170
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Sounds like the Coast Guard is searching for a missing boat that had 3 NFL players on it. They went out fishing yesterday, but didn't come back last night.

It seems like these stories hardly ever end up well.

I'm not the praying sort, but I am wishing fervently that they will be found okay. Others who do pray, though, are welcome to contribute.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:21 PM   #171
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post

+1
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:38 PM   #172
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Kurt Warner is apparently visiting the 49ers now.

It would be pretty hard to believe that he'd leave the Cards.

Word is the organization hosted him knowing full well his agent is trying to drive up the price for Arizona.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:18 PM   #173
JS19
College Prospect

Giants sign Canty from the Cowboys. Bunch of defensive moves for the GMen over the past couple days, I guess this means TJ Whosyourmamma isn't in their plans, although, I have no clue what their cap space is looking like.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:22 PM   #174
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Canty got PAID for a guy who never impressed me all that much as a Cowboy. I guess he's switching to DT.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:51 PM   #175
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
Giants sign Canty from the Cowboys. Bunch of defensive moves for the GMen over the past couple days, I guess this means TJ Whosyourmamma isn't in their plans, although, I have no clue what their cap space is looking like.

Surprised the Giants kept after Canty after signing Bernard. So far, they said they will use Canty a lot like how they've used Tuck in the past by moving him around the line (he'll play both DT and DE). The Giants will probably have to cut one of their DL players after signing Canty and Bernard, though.

And I've read that the Giants aren't really going after TJ, neither are the Eagles, neither are a lot of teams.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:01 PM   #176
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

TJ is apparently down to Min, SEA and CIN with MIN in the lead.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:55 PM   #177
JS19
College Prospect

I like what the Giants are doing, adding depth to an already solid defense, but WR is clearly a problem. Reese has done a phenomenal job in the draft, but I can't imagine he plans on addressing the WR issue through the draft. I'm in the "bring back Plax" boat, so maybe thats what they have planned. TJ would be a nice addition, but probably not for the $$$ he's gonna get. As far as I know, as of now they have Smith, Manningham, Moss, and Tyree, not exactly the core of receivers I would feel comfortable starting the season with, although I do like them all and they have potential. Who knows, maybe they are working on a trade (Boldin, I know, wishful thinking, although I have heard rumors of Braylon Edwards). Should be interesting to see, because Reese likes to build through the draft, so I don't see them making a big trade.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:02 PM   #178
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
As far as I know, as of now they have Smith, Manningham, Moss, and Tyree

And Dominik Hixon, who I think is going to become a really good receiver.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:31 AM   #179
Pyser
Pro Rookie

isnt moss a f/a?
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:56 AM   #180
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

I have Manningham (and James Hardy) on my keeper team stashed away in my "rookie reserve area" (some interesting rules in my league). So I am hoping like no other that Manningham gets a chance to play this year.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:57 AM   #181
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Word is the organization hosted him knowing full well his agent is trying to drive up the price for Arizona.

And he would be crazy to leave a team that has as good of a pair of wideouts in the league for a team that pretty much has nobody to throw too.

Random thought that just came to me that I doubt I would actually pull is what if the Lions actually had the money to bring in Harrison. He becomes a #2 guy and can help mentor Johnson. Even if he's just there for a couple of years, he helps fill a role for now and can give the Lions time to develop other people. Of course, there's no way in hell Harrison would want to go there...
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:04 AM   #182
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
And he would be crazy to leave a team that has as good of a pair of wideouts in the league for a team that pretty much has nobody to throw too.

Come on, we just gave Brandon Jones $16.5 million over 5 years!

While the guaranteed money is fairly low (I think $4.5MM), I still didn't understand the move. There is actually some talent at the position in Jason Hill and Josh Morgan who just need time to develop, along with a QB who has time to get them the ball.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:49 AM   #183
miked
College Starter

If you go in to the season with Smith, Manningham, Moss, and Tyree as your WRs, you will not be throwing the ball well. Maybe they're banking on getting Britt in the 1st or 2nd and him being the savior.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:13 AM   #184
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Peter King is reporting that the reason Cassel went to the Chiefs for a high second was that the 3-way deal never surfaced until after that trade was agreed to. Basically no one was knocking on Bill's door, so he took the best deal he had early to clear the cap room. If Denver had been talking to him on Thursday, Cassel might well be a Bronco, and Cutler a Buc right now.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:15 AM   #185
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
If you go in to the season with Smith, Manningham, Moss, and Tyree as your WRs, you will not be throwing the ball well. Maybe they're banking on getting Britt in the 1st or 2nd and him being the savior.

There's not even a legit 2 in that group. I like Smith but when he's clearly the best of the bunch your team has to be playing with house rules or something.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:16 AM   #186
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post

Looks about the quality of the Raiders WR corps.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:25 AM   #187
Danny
Head Coach

More bad Broncos news. Now not only do they have to deal with their unhappy quarterback, but Brandon Marshall was arrested again for disorderly conduct. It his 4th arrest and the Denver posts says a suspension up to a year and SI's peter king says he expects 8 games.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:50 AM   #188
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Looks about the quality of the Raiders WR corps.

Johnny Lee Mays might have a breakout season.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:56 AM   #189
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:

I actually like both Johnny Lee Higgins and Chaz Schilens, but neither are a #1 receiver. As a #2 and #3 I think they would be solid.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:17 AM   #190
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Peter King is reporting that the reason Cassel went to the Chiefs for a high second was that the 3-way deal never surfaced until after that trade was agreed to. Basically no one was knocking on Bill's door, so he took the best deal he had early to clear the cap room. If Denver had been talking to him on Thursday, Cassel might well be a Bronco, and Cutler a Buc right now.

lots of chatter about the Cassel deal on sports radio here today, with all kinds of crazy theories floated about (from BB was afraid of what McDaniels and Cassel could do with the Broncoes to BB prefers 2nd rounders to 1st rounders to, my personal fave, BB is planning to follow Pioli to KC when his contract is up and is sending some of his players there in advance). The Peter King thing makes the most sense...
Old 03-02-2009, 01:22 PM   #191
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
It seems like these stories hardly ever end up well.

I'm not the praying sort, but I am wishing fervently that they will be found okay. Others who do pray, though, are welcome to contribute.

Doesn't look good. They found the boat capsized, but only one person clinging to the boat. He's recovering from hypothermia, so they haven't been able to ask him any questions yet.

Boater found, NFL players still missing off Florida, guard says - CNN.com
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:28 PM   #192
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Doesn't look good. They found the boat capsized, but only one person clinging to the boat. He's recovering from hypothermia, so they haven't been able to ask him any questions yet.

I did hear that he told the rescue people that the other three guys did have life vests on, but if hypothermia was an issue, they probably would be in big trouble even with life vests on.

I saw video of the surviving guy on TV. He was hurting. They had to help him from the basket on the chopper to the gurney. Looked exhausted.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 03-02-2009 at 01:29 PM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:29 PM   #193
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:

I sure hope so.

I've been waiting since 2003 for it to happen.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:24 PM   #194
Travis
Pro Rookie

Houshmandzadeh to Seattle for 5 years and $40 million (around $15 million guaranteed). Haven't seen a yearly breakdown yet, but apparently this beat Cincy's deal (5/35) and wasn't quite what I had read he was asking for (4/40). Not sure if I'm excited about this one though. Haven't seen much of him live, but looking at his numbers it looks like the last 2 years were a drop off from his first 5, so hopefully we can get at least 2-3 years of him at his current level before another drop off.

And hopefully they still nab Crabtree if he's there at #4.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:49 PM   #195
Danny
Head Coach

Looks like they overpaid considering he is 32, but he is a good receiver.

Hopefully this means they pass on Crabtree with #4 and then he has a decent shot to be there for the Raiders at #7
Old 03-02-2009, 05:54 PM   #196
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Don't be shocked if Crabtree goes #3 to KC.

It's looking very possible Curry goes #1 to Detroit, then Jason Smith goes #2 to STL. KC does not need a QB now, and KC took a LT last year. Crabtree makes the most sense to run the offense Haley probably wants to run. Plus, if you're going to invest all that money in Cassel, you better put weapons around him.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:56 PM   #197
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Don't be shocked if Crabtree goes #3 to KC.

It's looking very possible Curry goes #1 to Detroit, then Jason Smith goes #2 to STL. KC does not need a QB now, and KC took a LT last year. Crabtree makes the most sense to run the offense Haley probably wants to run. Plus, if you're going to invest all that money in Cassel, you better put weapons around him.

I'm hoping for one of Crabtree, Raji, Monroe or J Smith at this point.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:57 PM   #198
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm hoping for one of Crabtree, Raji, Monroe or J Smith at this point.

Raiders will have a shot at Monroe. I am doubtful Raji is there. I honestly expect Davis to take Bey or Maclin, but I have read they love Harvin.

If they take Harvin, well, I feel bad for you.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:03 PM   #199
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Raiders will have a shot at Monroe. I am doubtful Raji is there. I honestly expect Davis to take Bey or Maclin, but I have read they love Harvin.

If they take Harvin, well, I feel bad for you.

That was a Raiders blogger who suggested the Raiders could take Harvin. he doesn't appear to have any inside info. At least I hope not as I would not be happy with that pick.

I like Maclin and DHB fine, and wouldn't be too upset about picking either of those. It is a bit early for DHB though and would prefer the Raiders trade back if that is who they want. Unfortunately that's something they never do.

Last edited by Danny : 03-02-2009 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:10 PM   #200
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
That was a Raiders blogger who suggested the Raiders could take Harvin. he doesn't appear to have any inside info. At least I hope not as I would not be happy with that pick.

I like Maclin and DHB fine, and wouldn't be too upset about picking either of those. It is a bit early for DHB though and would prefer the Raiders trade back if that is who they want. Unfortunately that's something they never do.

DHB is a solid, solid player. A stretch at 7, but Al loves those sick athletes, and no doubt DHB is one.