Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-02-2009, 09:02 PM   #201
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Houshmandzadeh to Seattle for 5 years and $40 million (around $15 million guaranteed). Haven't seen a yearly breakdown yet, but apparently this beat Cincy's deal (5/35) and wasn't quite what I had read he was asking for (4/40). Not sure if I'm excited about this one though. Haven't seen much of him live, but looking at his numbers it looks like the last 2 years were a drop off from his first 5, so hopefully we can get at least 2-3 years of him at his current level before another drop off.

And hopefully they still nab Crabtree if he's there at #4.

He'll be good for a couple of years. Don't worry about YPC, especially last season when Palmer was out. The offense has him constantly running the under routes because he'll catch anything. He's maybe the best third down receiver in the NFL right now. Sorry to lose him, but realistically the Bengals wouldn't be a serious contender even with him.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:47 PM   #202
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm not sad to see him leave the division. Guys a real player and yeah, he will catch everything. Hopefully Matt doesn't try to kill him like Carson often did.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:03 PM   #203
Travis
Pro Rookie

Well, fingers crossed that with only $15 million in guaranteed money that there is some back loading here so that it's really more like a 3 year deal that will still leave the team with enough room to consider Crabtree at #4 (if he's still there). Being able to have Burleson as our #4 instead of in the top 3 would give them great options for the return game as well as being able to present some pretty fun personnel groupings for defenses to adjust to. That said, if Carlson goes down for any extended period of time there's really no backup plan currently in place.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:13 PM   #204
Swaggs
Coordinator

Steelers lose Nate Washington to the Titans. Haven't seen the terms yet.

Probably a good fit for him. He is one of the more athletic receivers in the league, has great size, and seems to be able to get open pretty well. Unfortunately, he has below average hands, but I would expect him to do pretty well and put up decent numbers as a #1 or #2. Would have liked to have kept him, but with Ward, Holmes, and Sweed, there probably was not enough remaining money allocated for him as a #3 with the Steelers.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:17 PM   #205
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I really hope we can land a vet WR in FA. I'd take Galloway if his physical checks out. Steelers also should be looking corner, safety and both lines in the first 3 rounds.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:19 PM   #206
Swaggs
Coordinator

Dola...

Looks like Washington gets 6-year/$27M, with $9M guaranteed.

Probably not a ridiculous deal, but after using a #2 on Sweed last season, not worth it for Pittsburgh. I didn't realize that he was just 25-years old, so he probably could continue to improve.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:19 PM   #207
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I really hope we can land a vet WR in FA. I'd take Galloway if his physical checks out. Steelers also should be looking corner, safety and both lines in the first 3 rounds.

Sean Morey?
Old 03-02-2009, 10:20 PM   #208
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Yah. Seems like Nate was going to come here but he wanted more money to play for an 0-16 team (which makes sense) and when the Lions got Johnson, I held out hope we'd get him still but it wasn't in the cards.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:31 PM   #209
Swaggs
Coordinator

I'm not sure if he'd consider himself a #3 receiver (or want to be paid more like a starter), but Amani Toomer might be a good 2-year fix for the Steelers. He has good size and is probably still fit enough to beat nickel or dime backs fairly regularly in 3-wide sets.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:35 PM   #210
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Sean Morey?

I was just gonna post how if we can get rid of Lord Tyrone and Kirschke we'll finally be done with the "Cowher Guys". And here you are talking about another.

And maybe it's just me, but the guys that leave never are as good as when they were here. I'd still take Hope and Peezy, but they do a damn good job of sucking the life outta players it seems.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:40 PM   #211
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
I was just gonna post how if we can get rid of Lord Tyrone and Kirschke we'll finally be done with the "Cowher Guys". And here you are talking about another.

And maybe it's just me, but the guys that leave never are as good as when they were here. I'd still take Hope and Peezy, but they do a damn good job of sucking the life outta players it seems.

Arizona would probably consider Morey untouchable. Whisenhut seems to have held on to the tradition of "Cowher Guys." Wouldn't surprise me to see Kordell become their QB coach at some point.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:50 PM   #212
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I'm not sure if he'd consider himself a #3 receiver (or want to be paid more like a starter), but Amani Toomer might be a good 2-year fix for the Steelers. He has good size and is probably still fit enough to beat nickel or dime backs fairly regularly in 3-wide sets.

I'd prefer we sign someone who got cut, just to get comps for Washington and McFadden. Also I'd seriously consider offer sheeting Lance Moore for a 2nd rounder. Ward won't be here forever. Depends on how much Moore wants.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:54 PM   #213
sabotai
General Manager

Derrick Ward signed with the TB Bucs. Hope he does well with them, except if and when they play the Giants.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:00 PM   #214
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
And it is the worst case scenario for the guys on the boat. The Coast Guard called off their search at 6:30pm Eastern.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:14 PM   #215
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
And it is the worst case scenario for the guys on the boat. The Coast Guard called off their search at 6:30pm Eastern.

Those guys were probably goners the moment they left the boat. It's a tragedy.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:15 PM   #216
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Word on the street in SF is that the fan base and the media (sfgate) doesn't want the Niners to persue Kurt Warner. It's not a knock against Kurt but against implemented yet another short-term solution.

I countered that the Niners perhaps see an opportunity to challenge a Warner-less Cards for the division.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:39 PM   #217
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

What are the Eagles doing?

Shawn Springs?

Really?
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:02 PM   #218
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Word on the street in SF is that the fan base and the media (sfgate) doesn't want the Niners to persue Kurt Warner. It's not a knock against Kurt but against implemented yet another short-term solution.

I countered that the Niners perhaps see an opportunity to challenge a Warner-less Cards for the division.

That sounds like reasonable logic. It would improve the 49ers while weakening the division champs or, at worst, they drive up the price and make the Cards "overpay" for Warner.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:18 PM   #219
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

BITE YOUR TONGUE!!

Quote:
I'd prefer we sign someone who got cut, just to get comps for Washington and McFadden. Also I'd seriously consider offer sheeting Lance Moore for a 2nd rounder. Ward won't be here forever. Depends on how much Moore wants.

Moore, or Shaun McDonald is available. Not great, but nice as a slot guy, still pretty quick. Just won't replace Nate as a deep threat.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:27 PM   #220
sabotai
General Manager

Giants signed Safety CC Brown (Houston) today. He'll be replacing James Butler (who I thought was overrated).
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:37 AM   #221
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post

So Damon Huard is a better solution?
San Francisco 49ers bring back LB Takeo Spikes, add Damon Huard to QB mix - ESPN
Old 03-05-2009, 05:52 AM   #222
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Looks like Cincy is going to replace Housh with Laveranues Coles. Not a bad replacement. Maybe even a little more of a big play type who can stretch the d and return some kicks.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:16 AM   #223
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

The contract they gave Coles is pretty ridiculous.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:01 AM   #224
Butter
Coordinator

I thought that too, RD2... that's way too much money for him.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:33 AM   #225
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, 28 over four is a bit much, especially knowing that Brown is very reluctant to release guys. Good to see another wideout in front of our three 2008 draft picks.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:24 PM   #226
Galaxy
Coordinator

T.O. released by the Cowboys.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:30 PM   #227
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
BITE YOUR TONGUE!!

Moore, or Shaun McDonald is available. Not great, but nice as a slot guy, still pretty quick. Just won't replace Nate as a deep threat.

I think they may try Sweed as a deep threat? I know he dropped two open passes in the playoffs, but I liked his blocking hit after one of those drops... and the fact that he actually got open was nice to see.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:33 PM   #228
DataKing
Pro Rookie

The Cowboys have released Roy Williams. He could be a nice replacement for Mike Brown at safety for the Bears, but I'm concerned about the sort of price tag he may have. Still he's only 28, so a bit younger than a lot of the big-name free agents out there.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:34 PM   #229
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Depends on whether you're interesting in your safeties being good, or just blowing coverage after coverage and occasionally putting a big hit on.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:34 PM   #230
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Roy Williams just needs to gain 10 lbs and play OLB. He still could't cover a TE though.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:38 PM   #231
Galaxy
Coordinator

Cowboys releasing T.O. and Roy Williams at the same time? Wow.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:39 PM   #232
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Is Crabtree really that good? The only thing I have seen of him is the highlight of the catch against Texas. We seem to have all decided that the Run and Shoot makes QBs hard to evaluate. Why is that not also true of receivers?

Or is it that his mesurables are such that we assume he is a top five talent regardless of the offensive style?

Edit--just to be clear, I am not saying that he isn't that good. Just that I have not heard anyone question whether a Run and Shoot receiver might be hard to project into the NFL.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 03-05-2009 at 12:40 PM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:42 PM   #233
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Is Crabtree really that good? The only thing I have seen of him is the highlight of the catch against Texas. We seem to have all decided that the Run and Shoot makes QBs hard to evaluate. Why is that not also true of receivers?

Or is it that his mesurables are such that we assume he is a top five talent regardless of the offensive style?

Crabtree is a monster. He has long arms, which makes up for his being only like 6'1". What he does well is he attacks the ball. He goes up and gets it. Plus he runs good routes, and never gives up on plays. He's like an Anquan Boldin, but faster. This could would've been a stud in any offense.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:03 PM   #234
Danny
Head Coach

Woot, great news here. Javon Walker restructured his contract, giving lots of money back overall and reducing his cap figure from 10 million to 2 million for this season. The Raiders would have faced a 11 million cap hit this year if they released him under his old contract, so this is great news. At least that horrid contract they gave him last off season is rectified now.

SFGate: Raiders Silver and Black Blog : Breaking news: Javon takes paycut
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:14 PM   #235
watravaler
High School JV

Respectable move by Walker...
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:00 PM   #236
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
The Cowboys have released Roy Williams. He could be a nice replacement for Mike Brown at safety for the Bears, but I'm concerned about the sort of price tag he may have. Still he's only 28, so a bit younger than a lot of the big-name free agents out there.

Interesting option although the Bears biggest problem last year was pass defense. Williams is a huge liability out there. I could see him alongside Brown which would allow him to play the pass and Williams the run. Could also swap him out on passing downs with one of our faster safeties.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:04 PM   #237
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Crabtree is a monster. He has long arms, which makes up for his being only like 6'1". What he does well is he attacks the ball. He goes up and gets it. Plus he runs good routes, and never gives up on plays. He's like an Anquan Boldin, but faster. This could would've been a stud in any offense.

That's how I see him too. I don't think he'll ever be an elite WR or considered amongst the best in the NFL, but I think he'll have a real solid career. Probably make a few Pro Bowls and get in the top 10 in receptions/yards in many years.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:10 PM   #238
Travis
Pro Rookie

How are a few pro bowls and top 10 in receptions/yards numerous times (and likely TD's given his skill set) not the same as being an elite level receiver?

I'm a bit biased on how I think he'll produce at the next level, but if you're giving me that sort of resume, I'd give him the elite sticker to go with it as well.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:15 PM   #239
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

[quote=albionmoonlight;1961163]Is Crabtree really that good? The only thing I have seen of him is the highlight of the catch against Texas. We seem to have all decided that the Run and Shoot makes QBs hard to evaluate. Why is that not also true of receivers?
QUOTE]

One of my best friends, who is also a casual poster here, is the Video editor for a BCS conference team ( I want to respect his privacy) and also used to work on the Redskins staff.

He has seen thousands of hours of tape and been involved in many sessions. He says Crabtree is a product of the system, and while very talented, not nearly as skilled as he is made out to be.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:36 PM   #240
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
How are a few pro bowls and top 10 in receptions/yards numerous times (and likely TD's given his skill set) not the same as being an elite level receiver?

I'm a bit biased on how I think he'll produce at the next level, but if you're giving me that sort of resume, I'd give him the elite sticker to go with it as well.

When I say elite level, I mean the top few receivers in football. The guys that scare the living daylight out of defensive coordinators. Larry Fitzgerald, Randy Moss, Andre Johnson come to mind. I don't think he'll ever reach that level. I think he'll be in that tier underneath them. Guys like Hines Ward, Laverneus Coles, Joe Horn type careers.

Last edited by RainMaker : 03-05-2009 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:24 PM   #241
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Top Receivers the last 3 years... not sure why this is relevant, but the post about the elite receivers made me wonder the difference between those that i perceive as elite compared to who the stats say are elite.

Reggie Wayne 3 30 272 3965 25
Larry Fitzgerald 3 25 265 3786 28
Steve Smith 3 29 248 3589 21
Terrell Owens 3 35 235 3587 38
Andre Johnson 3 27 278 3573 21
Donald Driver 3 33 248 3355 15
Chad Johnson 3 30 233 3349 19
Torry Holt 3 32 250 3173 20
Lee Evans 3 27 200 3158 16
Tony Gonzalez 3 32 268 3130 20
T.J. Houshmandzadeh 3 31 294 3128 25
Anquan Boldin 3 28 243 3094 24
Roddy White 3 27 201 3090 13
Randy Moss 3 31 209 3054 37
Braylon Edwards 3 25 196 3046 25
Wes Welker 3 27 290 3027 12
Marques Colston 3 25 215 3000 24
Jerricho Cotchery 3 26 235 2949 13
Brandon Marshall 3 24 226 2899 15
Derrick Mason 3 34 251 2874 12

Edit... Accidentally combined the two Steve Smith's before.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:13 PM   #242
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
That's how I see him too. I don't think he'll ever be an elite WR or considered amongst the best in the NFL, but I think he'll have a real solid career. Probably make a few Pro Bowls and get in the top 10 in receptions/yards in many years.

Quote:

How about something like the career path of Rod Smith? Never the best in the league, but you could definitely use him as a #1, was on the top 10 quite a few times in his career and made the Pro Bowl 3 times.

If you drafted Crabtree and knew you would be getting Rod Smith, would that be ok?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:22 PM   #243
Galaxy
Coordinator

Do you feel that receivers can be overvalued? If you got a quality offense with a quarterback who can make those throws, is an "elite" receiver going to be that much of an upgrade over a "good" receiver?
Old 03-05-2009, 07:23 PM   #244
DeToxRox
Head Coach

An elite WR is quite an upgrade over a good WR.

Few in the NFL can do what Larry Fitz, Andre Johnson and Calvin Johnson can do. Have a 6'5 WR who can jump out of the stadium makes an okay QB good, a good QB great, and in some instances, a great QB elite.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:16 PM   #245
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
How about something like the career path of Rod Smith? Never the best in the league, but you could definitely use him as a #1, was on the top 10 quite a few times in his career and made the Pro Bowl 3 times.

If you drafted Crabtree and knew you would be getting Rod Smith, would that be ok?

SI

If I thought I was getting Rod Smith, I would be thrilled. Rod Smith had a 6 year run where he was very good. The year he had 1600 yards he had Brian Griese and Gus Frerotte throwing to him (who both actually had a pretty good year).

You could always flip the coin and end up with David Terrell or Charles Rogers
Old 03-05-2009, 09:21 PM   #246
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

That's why I thought he was a good name to throw out there. I think some people would be disappointed if they took a WR in the top 5 and he was "only" Rod Smith and not Moss or Fitz or Steve Smith or TO in terms of overall talent. I certainly would not be among them

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-05-2009 at 09:22 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:24 PM   #247
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
That's why I thought he was a good name to throw out there. I think some people would be disappointed if they took a WR in the top 5 and he was "only" Rod Smith and not Moss or Fitz or Steve Smith or TO in terms of overall talent. I certainly would not be among them

SI

I'd sure as hell take Smith over Peter Warrick.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:21 AM   #248
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
T.O. released by the Cowboys.

He'll end up just like Joe Horn.
Retired, and out of work.

No team wants an ego trip player like him.
He's 35, and on the backside of his career.

Not even a deep-pocketed team like the Redskins will take him.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:41 AM   #249
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker rocky View Post
He'll end up just like Joe Horn.
Retired, and out of work.

No team wants an ego trip player like him.
He's 35, and on the backside of his career.

Not even a deep-pocketed team like the Redskins will take him.

I am going to bet against you here. I really believe that someone will take a chance on him.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:43 AM   #250
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Patriots trade a 5th round pick to the Eagles for Greg Lewis and a 7th rounder in 2010. Gives them some depth at receiver.

They also sign CB Shawn Springs in FA.