Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-06-2009, 08:47 AM   #251
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post
I am going to bet against you here. I really believe that someone will take a chance on him.

ESPN showed a graphic last night (and who knows if this is just posturing) that listed the teams that had come out and said they had no interest.

Of all the teams, only the Saints, Titans, and Raiders had not said they had no interest.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:18 AM   #252
Danny
Head Coach

Don't believe anything the Raiders say to the media (at least Herrera their PR guy). Coach Cable seems like a stand up guy.

The Raiders are expected to sign OT Khalif Barnes today. I'm very happy about that. He's one of the guys I was hoping they would sign. One of the best run blockers in football who was bad in pass protection last year at LT. He's going to be moved to the right side and with the change of scenery I hope for a lot of improvement in pass protection.

They also signed OT Erik Pears a couple days ago to a very reasonable deal. He has experience in the ZBS and was a starter for Denver before his injury last year. The raiders also resigned G Cooper Carlisle and extended the contracts of Gallery and Fargas to create for cap room. BWith these signings that really sures up our tackle and guard position. This would allow the Raiders to go after Crabtree or Raji with their pick.

I'm ecstatic that the Raiders are focusing on getting players that address our needs and not throwing big money at big name over-hyped players. They resigned the players they needed to resign and are adding some players to address needs.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:53 AM   #253
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
ESPN showed a graphic last night (and who knows if this is just posturing) that listed the teams that had come out and said they had no interest.

Of all the teams, only the Saints, Titans, and Raiders had not said they had no interest.

I saw that as well.... of those teams I would think that Tennessee and Oakland would be the favorites. TO would be a perfect fit in Minnesota, but he has already burned a bridge with that coach.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:55 AM   #254
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Honestly, I am going to say this. If TO is not about the money, he is going to be a Colt. Peyton is probably the only guy outside of Brady who could do something to reel TO in.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:56 AM   #255
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

I wonder if Arizona would be interested if they decided to move Boldin.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:59 AM   #256
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Honestly, I am going to say this. If TO is not about the money, he is going to be a Colt. Peyton is probably the only guy outside of Brady who could do something to reel TO in.

Everything T.O has done has been about the money, ok feeding his ego also comes into it, but his discontent in the past has been about him not getting paid enough. He was upset in Philly because other receivers became higher paid than him and he wanted them to re-work his deal so that he would be the top paid WR in the league. When Philly refused (since he had just signed a deal 1 year ago that made him one of the top paid receivers), that is when he became a distraction. I see no chance of T.O going to Indianapolis. I think the Titans could be a good fit as Fisher has a strong personality and I believe they have the cap room and a WR need to forge a deal that both sides would be happy with.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 03-06-2009 at 12:00 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:55 PM   #257
Danny
Head Coach

Great news per rotoworld.

""Beat writer David White cites a Raiders team source who insists "there is no way T.O. is coming here."

The Raiders have a new free agent policy: building with youth, re-signing their own, and looking for cheap patches on the market. "It's like a complete 180 from last year," the source said. The team is desperate for an influx of talent at wide receiver, but they're obviously determined to go with youth. ""
Old 03-06-2009, 07:24 PM   #258
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Great news per rotoworld.

""Beat writer David White cites a Raiders team source who insists "there is no way T.O. is coming here."

The Raiders have a new free agent policy: building with youth, re-signing their own, and looking for cheap patches on the market. "It's like a complete 180 from last year," the source said. The team is desperate for an influx of talent at wide receiver, but they're obviously determined to go with youth. ""

Jaguars have that similar philosophy, jettison the older expensive players(also players that tend to be cancerous, ex: Porter and Florence).
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:50 PM   #259
StLee
High School Varsity

Quote:

From KFFL:

"Saints | Not interested in Owens
Thu, 05 Mar 2009 17:26:00 -0800

Mike Triplett, of the New Orleans Times-Picayune, reports New Orleans Saints head coach Sean Payton said during a radio interview that the team is not interested in unrestricted free-agent WR Terrell Owens (Cowboys)."
StLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:01 PM   #260
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Heh. He said a lot more than that. If I remember correctly, he said something to the effect of why would we want Owens, he is a guy who dropped 33 balls last year, the 2nd most in the NFL. He didn't completely slam T.O., but he said a few other things that certainly weren't complimentary.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:03 PM   #261
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post
I wonder if Arizona would be interested if they decided to move Boldin.

I'm going to pretend you never said that
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:22 PM   #262
MrDNA
High School Varsity

I would be shocked if T.O. didn't play this year, but I would love the message it would send to me-first players.

By the by, I thought he was actually relatively well behaved this past year. Any insight as to why the Boys cut ties with him?
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:27 PM   #263
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDNA View Post
I would be shocked if T.O. didn't play this year, but I would love the message it would send to me-first players.

By the by, I thought he was actually relatively well behaved this past year. Any insight as to why the Boys cut ties with him?

huh?

He completly divided the locker room by creating a rift between him, his QB, and his OC. Throw in some sideline tantrums, his age, his falling asleep in meetings and the near fist fight he started with Whitten.

Also his conspericy theory that Romo and Whitten, who are roommates on the road, stay up at night and draw up plays that exclude Owens.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:01 PM   #264
Galaxy
Coordinator

Local news reports that T.O is going sign an one-year deal with the Bills! Guess he was in town today. I guess they have a 6:15 press conference today.

Last edited by Galaxy : 03-07-2009 at 05:05 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:03 PM   #265
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

That makes plenty of sense.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:05 PM   #266
RendeR
Coordinator

Owens signs 1 year deal with the Bills......BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Telle is mortified.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:06 PM   #267
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Owens signs 1 year deal with the Bills......BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Telle is mortified.

I don't know what to think really. I'm shocked that the Bills have made such a bold, risky move.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:06 PM   #268
RainMaker
General Manager

Makes no sense from either perspective. TO is going to play on a mediocre/bad team. The Bills don't seem in a position to add such a high profile player.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:07 PM   #269
RendeR
Coordinator

In other news the govorner of NY is a fucking moron.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:10 PM   #270
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Makes no sense from either perspective. TO is going to play on a mediocre/bad team. The Bills don't seem in a position to add such a high profile player.

Shows how few options he had. His only other option was probably the Raiders and Buffalo has a slightly better team
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:11 PM   #271
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:

They were after Coles, but I they didn't seem to willing to pay his price tag.

He doesn't fit in the "run it the first two downs, throw it short on third" predicable, offense with a shaky QB situation, a backfield that is unclear with Lynch, and an offensive line that is getting a make-over. Also, Jauron is such a "nice" guy who should have been fired two years ago. I don't see him controlling his team.

Of course, will this be Wilson's excuse to keep him Jauron if they fail again.

Last edited by Galaxy : 03-07-2009 at 05:12 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:11 PM   #272
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
In other news the govorner of NY is a fucking moron.

That's news?
Old 03-07-2009, 05:11 PM   #273
RendeR
Coordinator

Yeah I mean its not like the Bills don't have a QB issue, no one is really sold on Edwards. I think he can be great but they keep getting him killed.

Oh and their star RB might be going to prison.

And they don't have an offensive line worth a shit.

But HEY, wtf, its BUFFALO!

The upside:

its a one year deal and he's gotta know that if he doesn't throw down everything he's got this season he might not ever play again.

They had to get him dirt cheap.

THey have Evans on the other side to keep the double teams off him most of the time.

Overall it could be interesting. God knows it will get the Bills a ton of attention.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:13 PM   #274
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Yeah I mean its not like the Bills don't have a QB issue, no one is really sold on Edwards. I think he can be great but they keep getting him killed.

The upside:

its a one year deal and he's gotta know that if he doesn't throw down everything he's got this season he might not ever play again.

THey have Evans on the other side to keep the double teams off him most of the time.

Overall it could be interesting. God knows it will get the Bills a ton of attention.

$6.5 million guaranteed for one season.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:14 PM   #275
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:

The upside:

Lynch isn't going to guy. He got a plea deal that keep him out. However, the NFL might be handing down a suspension.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:14 PM   #276
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post

WOW talk about being wrong about getting him cheap.....
Old 03-07-2009, 05:15 PM   #277
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Lynch isn't going to guy. He got a plea deal that keep him out. However, the NFL might be handing down a suspension.

Oh I know, I was just playing out the "LEts add another loser to this team" scenario...
Old 03-07-2009, 05:17 PM   #278
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Shows how few options he had. His only other option was probably the Raiders and Buffalo has a slightly better team

Actually Raiders said they didn't want him and I'm happy to hear that weren't lying.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:17 PM   #279
RainMaker
General Manager

There had to be no one interested. This has to be one of the worst destinations that T.O. could get. Bad team and a small market.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:23 PM   #280
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
There had to be no one interested. This has to be one of the worst destinations that T.O. could get. Bad team and a small market.

Only an one-year deal as well.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:25 PM   #281
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I hope the cut him at the end of camp.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:28 PM   #282
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Oh I know, I was just playing out the "LEts add another loser to this team" scenario...

Hey.....Maybe we can get Michael Vick.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:38 PM   #283
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Once again Dallas sticks it to a Buffalo sports franchise.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:56 PM   #284
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Once again Dallas sticks it to a Buffalo sports franchise.

Bastard.

I'm in shock. The Bills don't do big-name signings or trades (besides trading for Drew Bledsoe). Could we have the best crop of receivers in the league now?

Last edited by Galaxy : 03-07-2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:00 PM   #285
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post

Only $4 million out of $6.5 million is guaranteed.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:05 PM   #286
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Could we have the best crop of receivers in the league now?

Err, no?
Old 03-07-2009, 06:08 PM   #287
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

No.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:10 PM   #288
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Bastard. ...

Not by a long shot.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:23 PM   #289
bhlloy
Coordinator

I think the most worrying thing for the Bills is on a one year deal, TO isn't going to be about the team at all. It's going to be "get me the ball and get me my stats" from the get go. It's not even going to be the "good" TO with a chip on his shoulder you saw the first year in Philly.

On a team with so many questions on offense, I just don't see it working in a million years. I predict a meltdown by week 4 and I could see TO out of the league for good by the end of the season.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:25 PM   #290
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Wow. What a move. I mean, it's a win for them. If he doesn't tow the line, he's gone. First AFC team he's ever played for and I suspect they figure that there shouldn't be a problem getting him the ball whenever he wants it.

Weird choice, though. But the 1-year deal aspect of it signals that he'll do like he did his first year in Philadelphia, aiming for one last pay-day.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:26 PM   #291
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
No.

I know. Wishful thinking.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:29 PM   #292
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Wow. What a move. I mean, it's a win for them. If he doesn't tow the line, he's gone. First AFC team he's ever played for and I suspect they figure that there shouldn't be a problem getting him the ball whenever he wants it.

Weird choice, though. But the 1-year deal aspect of it signals that he'll do like he did his first year in Philadelphia, aiming for one last pay-day.

Heh, you pretty much disagreed with everything I said

2 points:

1) Do you really want the guy that led the league in dropped passes by a mile last year to "get the ball whenever he wants it"

2) I don't think this is anything like the situation in Philly. TO was going into a big money deal in Philly (7 years, 49 million according to Wikipedia) His motivation wasn't money, it was to show he could still be a great receiver and a good teammate. Put it this way, do you think TO cares more about the Bills winning in 2009, or whether he can get a multi year deal in 2010?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:40 PM   #293
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Heh, you pretty much disagreed with everything I said

2 points:

1) Do you really want the guy that led the league in dropped passes by a mile last year to "get the ball whenever he wants it"

2) I don't think this is anything like the situation in Philly. TO was going into a big money deal in Philly (7 years, 49 million according to Wikipedia) His motivation wasn't money, it was to show he could still be a great receiver and a good teammate. Put it this way, do you think TO cares more about the Bills winning in 2009, or whether he can get a multi year deal in 2010?

Well, I just don't think this move is particularly high risk for Buffalo. They weren't going to spend the money on anyone else, they keep him from potentially going to someone that could keep them out of the playoffs in the always wacky AFC East and if he doesn't tow the line, they send him away and TO's career is pretty much down to the near end.

As for the #1, yeah, I guess. It's all about the marketing, really. If the season was a borderline playoff year anyway, he's not going to make you worse. I don't believe that the locker room politics are as bad as everyone thinks it is or that somehow "chemistry" especially on a football team can propel a team to a title.

It's all about timing and other junk. But I guess time will tell.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:32 PM   #294
miami_fan
Coordinator

I kinda like Trent Edwards so I hope he is not negatively affected too much. What are the chances of the Bills re-signing JP Losman and starting him? That would be a good match with TO

Hey I like a bit of drama
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:04 PM   #295
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Quote:

The Bills signed Braylon Edwards?!
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:22 PM   #296
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:

I might think that if it resembled a truthful statement.

Last edited by RPI-Fan : 03-07-2009 at 08:22 PM.
RPI-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:46 PM   #297
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I kinda like Trent Edwards so I hope he is not negatively affected too much. What are the chances of the Bills re-signing JP Losman and starting him? That would be a good match with TO

Hey I like a bit of drama

I do not want to see JP Losman back.

I'm interested in seeing TO here. This is a very different kind of market for him. Small, close-knit (think of that “everyone knows everyone”), blue-collar market that will be a big change from his previous tours. Plus, the media and fans won't be in his face like the other cities.

Last edited by Galaxy : 03-07-2009 at 09:00 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:53 PM   #298
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I know the hyperbole was overboard, but he did lead the NFC in drops, fourth overall (after Edwards, Bowe, and Marshall). It was a problem last year.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:56 PM   #299
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
I know the hyperbole was overboard, but he did lead the NFC in drops, fourth overall (after Edwards, Bowe, and Marshall). It was a problem last year.

Just wait until November and December in Buffalo. The weather and stadium (which gets really windy and gusty inside the stands more so) will be brutal.

I wonder if this a move to help move tickets in Toronto (where the Bills signed a long-term deal to play at least one regular season a year at the Rogers Centre, along with the pre-season game).

Last edited by Galaxy : 03-07-2009 at 08:57 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:07 PM   #300
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:

Then again, there is a strong case that those there players ahead of him in drops were the best players on their respective teams last year. I think people make way too much out of this; to drop the ball you are getting open. Every Owens drop is a pass that likely may not have gone to an open receiver if he wasn't around.