Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-20-2009, 06:49 AM   #401
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I'm almost positive that prior to this year, the team who received the ball at the start of overtime had won somewhere around 51% of the time. Which means that the team who won the toss this year could have won 16 out of 16 times and it wouldn't warrant a change to the system. Good job by the league in not changing something due to a statistical outlier.

Yeah, but you have to wonder how much higher that number would be if not for Marty Mornhinweg.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:01 AM   #402
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Yeah, but you have to wonder how much higher that number would be if not for Marty Mornhinweg.

You have no idea how powerful that wind was. It was like a hurricane out there. How the Bears ever managed to overcome it still a mystery. I think it had to do with the ghost of Walter Payton or something.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:06 PM   #403
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Eagles have inked FB Weaver to a 1-year deal.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 04:40 PM   #404
Bad-example
College Starter

From Rotoworld:

Quote:
Georgia QB Matthew Stafford came away miffed after a recent meeting with the 49ers.
The Niners' psychologist opined that Stafford had "unfinished business" with his parents divorce, which left Stafford wondering how much he was being charged by the hour for the psychoanalysis. Responded coach Mike Singletary: "Maybe he doesn't belong here."

WTF...not sure how this even gets out. Neither side benefits from a leak like this. Pretty strange in any case, eh?
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 04:45 PM   #405
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
WTF...not sure how this even gets out. Neither side benefits from a leak like this. Pretty strange in any case, eh?

As much as I loved Singletary as a player and respect certain things he does as a coach, I don't see it ending well from him in San Francisco.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 03-25-2009, 05:45 PM   #406
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Alex Smith
Damon Huard
Shaun Hill

You might want to consider a QB at some point here.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:04 PM   #407
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

What would the different jersey mean? They couldn't be tackled and could just sit in the pocket and wait?
Old 03-25-2009, 06:12 PM   #408
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
From Rotoworld:

Well, the Niners might if it means he falls to them. Although then presumably he's coming in disgruntled which is your original point I guess. I agree, it's very strange. Unless somebody completely made it up of course
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:09 PM   #409
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Bowlen
"Numerous attempts to contact Jay Cutler in the last 10 days, both by head coach Josh McDaniels and myself, have been unsuccessful.

"A conversation with his agent earlier today clearly communicated and confirmed to us that Jay no longer has any desire to play for the Denver Broncos.

"We will begin discussions with other teams in an effort to accommodate his request to be traded."
I feel sorry for the team that gets Cutler.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:24 PM   #410
Logan
Head Coach

I won't.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:56 PM   #411
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
I feel sorry for the team that gets Cutler.

I agree. Dude sounds like a whiney douchebag. Really - you think you're immune to being shopped Jay? It's a business. Don't like it? Don't play then.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:47 PM   #412
Pyser
Pro Rookie

go chris simms!
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:57 PM   #413
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm really interested in what the offers will be, and what he'll end up getting traded for.

Lions-Makes a lot of sense for them to pass on Stafford, and give up the 1st and 3rds they got from dallas for him.

Jets-Easily should be considering giving up their first this year, and a 2nd next year

Browns-Hard to say, maybe the 2nd they got from Tampa, and Brady Quinn. Although trading Quinn would further alienate their fanbase.

Bears-Gotta be thinking of doing their first and 3rd. If not more.

Redskins-I"d guess this would be obvious first this year, 2nd next, possibly more. Although I don't know what the hell they would do with Campbell.

Panthers-Definitely an upgrade over Jake, but don't have the pick ammo.

Niners-they have a high first this year, that seems more than reasonable.

Bucs-Not sure what they actually have to trade. A first, but they don't have a 2nd I believe.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:08 AM   #414
Taur
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I'm really interested in what the offers will be, and what he'll end up getting traded for.

Lions-Makes a lot of sense for them to pass on Stafford, and give up the 1st and 3rds they got from dallas for him.

Jets-Easily should be considering giving up their first this year, and a 2nd next year

Browns-Hard to say, maybe the 2nd they got from Tampa, and Brady Quinn. Although trading Quinn would further alienate their fanbase.

Redskins-I"d guess this would be obvious first this year, 2nd next, possibly more. Although I don't know what the hell they would do with Campbell.

Bucs-Not sure what they actually have to trade. A first, but they don't have a 2nd I believe.

1st this 1st that. Now that Cutler has forced a trade the Broncos are no longer in the drivers seat and will be forced to accept whatever they can get for Cutler. Why offer a high first round pick when you can get him for a sloppy second?

Does Cutler have the balls to sit out an entire year if the Broncos decide not to trade him?
Old 04-01-2009, 05:43 AM   #415
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taur View Post
1st this 1st that. Now that Cutler has forced a trade the Broncos are no longer in the drivers seat and will be forced to accept whatever they can get for Cutler. Why offer a high first round pick when you can get him for a sloppy second?

When 10+ teams want your guy, you're still in the driver's seat.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:15 AM   #416
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I actually side with Cutler on this. And I'm a Broncos fan, so I know that his forcing the Broncos' hand means my team is probably out of the playoff hunt for a couple of years. What I think everyone is completely discounting is that this guy was drafted as the heir apparent to Elway, has been built up by the team, the city, the press, etc., as the Next Coming, has become the face of the franchise, and within 4 months, he's had his coach fired, been told the offensive staff wouldn't change, got a new coach who fired the offensive staff, and was actively shopped to bring in a lesser QB who the coach likes.

Yes, at some point most people would just get over it, but I understand where he's coming from. This is what happens when you make someone the face of your franchise - they have a right to expect that they are immune from being traded, unless they suck or have off-field problems. That's just the way it is. I can't really think of a comparable situation right now, a guy in the early prime of his career, considered a franchise player at an important position, who was traded simply to (supposedly) upgrade the position (or even the team), absent some money or other issues.

I also cannot believe Pat Bowlen is happy about this. He might back his new coach simply because he has to, but I put the blame squarely on McDaniels for this, and I think Bowlen should, too. McDaniels clearly lied about not trying to make the trade - I don't buy the "we were approached at the last minute" crap, too many people say otherwise - and his inability to make things work with Cutler is telling. You know his problem? He's fucking 32 years old and trying to be Parcells/Belichick. Well guess what - this is what happens when you are a first-time coach, barely older than the guy you're fighting with, without the aura/history of a Parcells, and you try to pull a Parcells stunt with your best player.

Bah, I'm fucking disgusted with the Broncos right now. I questioned the hire when it happened, and nothing I've seen so far makes me feel any better about McDaniels. I still put some of the blame on Cutler for being an idiot about this, but I can't really say I blame him for wanting out. I just hope we get a decent package for him.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-01-2009 at 07:25 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:20 AM   #417
Ksyrup

On a related point, I think Pioli owes Belichick an additional draft pick for making the Cassel trade, because he got a 2-for-1. Upgraded his team and destroyed another team in his division. Pioli must be laughing his ass off about this.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-01-2009, 08:00 AM   #418
Logan
Head Coach

With you 100% syrupy-K. McDaniels has a big target on his back.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:14 AM   #419
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
On a related point, I think Pioli owes Belichick an additional draft pick for making the Cassel trade, because he got a 2-for-1. Upgraded his team and destroyed another team in his division. Pioli must be laughing his ass off about this.

The morning guys on the Boston radio station today (who are generally idiots FWIW) were trying to insinuate not only this, but that Belichick did it on purpose to put the screws to McDaniels.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:17 AM   #420
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
The morning guys on the Boston radio station today (who are generally idiots FWIW) were trying to insinuate not only this, but that Belichick did it on purpose to put the screws to McDaniels.

D+C? God I can't even listen to those two anymore, they're like two drunken self-important idiots at a bar.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:28 AM   #421
Ksyrup

Based on the timeline, I don't think that's possible, is it? I thought Belichick had already agreed to the KC trade before McDaniels even contacted him, and that Belichick felt bound by his word to Pioli. At least, that's the popular version of the story that's out there.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:29 AM   #422
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
D+C? God I can't even listen to those two anymore, they're like two drunken self-important idiots at a bar.

From what I understand, that's the entire Boston sports reporting and sports talk scene.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:31 AM   #423
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I still like Bob Ryan and Jackie MacMullan, but the rest can sit and spin. Couple of decent radio guys, but they're buried in the afternoon.

And Ksyrup - I wasn't trying to infer that they were right, just something I found funny. They moved on to suggest that McDaniels would target the Jets in order to get Belichick back.

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 04-01-2009 at 08:32 AM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:35 AM   #424
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

The only thing that makes sense here is Cutler for Quinn.

Its clear Denver wants a starting QB in return for Cutler.

Its clear that Cleveland has been trying to sell Anderson to teams as a starting QB, but noone has been buying. Lets just assume he's not one.

If they get Cutler, they don't need Quinn, they have a decent backup in Anderson, and they keep their draft picks to add more pieces. Cleveland probably has to add to the deal, but I don't think it would have to be a 2.

All of the other above scenarios you list involve Denver getting draft picks in return, but no QB. It seems that is not quite what they are looking for (although if that changes, any of them could make sense).

A couple other scenarios make a little bit of sense.

Washington. Campbell is not the best QB in the league, but he's proabably a starter. Not sure why you list only picks above, and wonder what they'd do with Campbell. He's almost certainly be in the deal.

Dallas. Romo for Cutler?

Both of the above scenarios make sense in that there is probably an additional benefit (or at least a percieved benefit) to those franchises in getting Cutler - it gives them a leg up on hiring Mike Shanahan for 2010. Hell, I would not be shocked to see either franchise trade for Cutler and hire Shanny for 2009.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:37 AM   #425
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'm probably in the minority here, but I actually side with Cutler on this. And I'm a Broncos fan, so I know that his forcing the Broncos' hand means my team is probably out of the playoff hunt for a couple of years. What I think everyone is completely discounting is that this guy was drafted as the heir apparent to Elway, has been built up by the team, the city, the press, etc., as the Next Coming, has become the face of the franchise, and within 4 months, he's had his coach fired, been told the offensive staff wouldn't change, got a new coach who fired the offensive staff, and was actively shopped to bring in a lesser QB who the coach likes.

Yes, at some point most people would just get over it, but I understand where he's coming from. This is what happens when you make someone the face of your franchise - they have a right to expect that they are immune from being traded, unless they suck or have off-field problems. That's just the way it is. I can't really think of a comparable situation right now, a guy in the early prime of his career, considered a franchise player at an important position, who was traded simply to (supposedly) upgrade the position (or even the team), absent some money or other issues.

I also cannot believe Pat Bowlen is happy about this. He might back his new coach simply because he has to, but I put the blame squarely on McDaniels for this, and I think Bowlen should, too. McDaniels clearly lied about not trying to make the trade - I don't buy the "we were approached at the last minute" crap, too many people say otherwise - and his inability to make things work with Cutler is telling. You know his problem? He's fucking 32 years old and trying to be Parcells/Belichick. Well guess what - this is what happens when you are a first-time coach, barely older than the guy you're fighting with, without the aura/history of a Parcells, and you try to pull a Parcells stunt with your best player.

Bah, I'm fucking disgusted with the Broncos right now. I questioned the hire when it happened, and nothing I've seen so far makes me feel any better about McDaniels. I still put some of the blame on Cutler for being an idiot about this, but I can't really say I blame him for wanting out. I just hope we get a decent package for him.

+1 on all counts, including being a Broncos fan. I was disappointed enough when they fired Shanahan, I figured ay replacement available would likely be at least a step down, but I didn't expect the absolute disaster that has followed.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:40 AM   #426
Swaggs
Coordinator

I think Cutler has not handled this situation well, but the problem all stems from McDaniels. I still cannot believe that a 32-year old, first-time/first-year head coach has the capacity to make personnel decisions like this and, on top of that, he thought he could "quietly" improve the quarterback position. I'm guessing he needs to win by year 2 or he is going to be on a real hot seat.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:57 AM   #427
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I think Cutler has not handled this situation well, but the problem all stems from McDaniels. I still cannot believe that a 32-year old, first-time/first-year head coach has the capacity to make personnel decisions like this and, on top of that, he thought he could "quietly" improve the quarterback position. I'm guessing he needs to win by year 2 or he is going to be on a real hot seat.

I agree too. For all the pundits calling Cutler a whiny baby, I wonder how many entrenched starting QBs in the league (especially young ones) would not have reacted the exact same way if they found out they were being shopped? Think Eli Manning would be upset? Phillip Rivers?

And McDaniels was given ample opportunity to try to smooth over the situation by simply telling Cutler he was interested in Cassel due to familiarity, but that was over now, and Cutler was definitely "his guy" going forward. Instead, McDaniels was determined to act exactly like Belichick and not "coddle" any stars. Hey genius, you are NOT Belichick. You've got to, I don't know, win a game or two as a head coach to get that kind of power. As a 32 year old first time head coach you've got to EARN the respect of your team, if you act like this, you're displaying the kind of people skills that made the exact same Belichick a disaster in Cleveland/Baltimore.

If I were the owner, I'd be fuming. He was kind of backed into a corner and had to support coach in a dispute with the player, but I'd much rather have Cutler at this point than McDaniels. One of them has actually displayed some aptitude for doing the job they were slated for in Denver. If McDaniels does not end up being the next Belichick, he has set the franchise back 10 years at the most important position in the game.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:58 AM   #428
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

So, is the GM position out in Denver ceremonial?
Old 04-01-2009, 09:12 AM   #429
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I agree that Cutler could have handled this better, but I don't see him being like another Indiana raised whiny QB, Jeff George. I'd be pretty ticked too if the new coach shopped me around before even working with me in a minicamp.

Psrt of this blame has to lie with the owner. It was an established fact Cutler was already unhappy with the firing of Shanahan and the OC leaving. The owner should have stepped in and made sure the new coach was unboard with having Cutler be the guy. If the owner was part of this process of trying to get Cassell, then he shouldn't gripe too much when his 2nd choice doesn't want to stay.

I'd like to see Quinn get dealt to the Broncos and have a chance to develop. I think he's got some great potential. Unless Mangini can turn it around, Cutler's going to have some lean years in Cleveland for awhile.

Somehow, I just think the Bears will do everything they can to get involved. They have the defense, they found a running game...they need a QB. If they can keep that team intact, I can see them being a real contender with Cutler, someone who has already proven they can play in bad weather.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:13 AM   #430
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
The only thing that makes sense here is Cutler for Quinn.

Its clear Denver wants a starting QB in return for Cutler.

Its clear that Cleveland has been trying to sell Anderson to teams as a starting QB, but noone has been buying. Lets just assume he's not one.

If they get Cutler, they don't need Quinn, they have a decent backup in Anderson, and they keep their draft picks to add more pieces. Cleveland probably has to add to the deal, but I don't think it would have to be a 2.

I've heard Mike Lombardi on with Simmons a few times and he says he's hearing that the new regime in Cleveland doesn't think either Anderson or Quinn is the guy. If that's true, or if McDaniels isn't enamored with him, I don't see how they take Quinn and anything less than a #1, plus maybe some more. Quinn and a 2 would not be enough if you buy into both those thoughts. Of course this changes if Joshie hearts Brady.

I just don't see how any scenario works out better for the team. There's no QB they could draft that will be on the level of Cutler for at least a few years, if ever. How can this be anything but a massive step back for the team? I think their best bet is to sign someone like Garcia or Leftwich, hope they can be adequate (which they should be able to, there's a lot of firepower on offense), send Cutler off for the highest 1st you can get, draft a potential defensive stud, and then start looking for your future QB in the 2nd or later.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:16 AM   #431
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Cutler asked to be traded before the Cassel thing went down because of the coaching changes.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:21 AM   #432
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

gstel - has anyone other that Peter King reported that?
Old 04-01-2009, 09:32 AM   #433
molson
General Manager

The Broncos fans in this thread have actually changed my mind somewhat on all this.

McDaniels is obviously a dope and not ready for this positition. He's going to waste this offense behind a crappy QB. And he's not going to get anything substantial for Cutler, he has no leverage. Even assuming that Cutler is a whiny little girl, McDaniels still botched all this big-time. It's really one of the biggest personnel botches I can remember in professional sports - it's not like this was a trade or aquisition that didn't work out, he's practically imploded the franchise with his incompetence. I'd be be SO pissed if I was a Broncos fan.

If I was another team though, I'd stay away from Cutler unless I was desperate and didn't have to give anything up. He's not even trying to pretend to look classy here. Selling your house and not answering phone calls is weak. He's officially a crybaby now, no matter where he ends up, no matter what he does the rest of his career. Not the guy I'd want as the face of my franchise.

Last edited by molson : 04-01-2009 at 09:33 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:36 AM   #434
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

No, and considering that it came out of the Denver organization way after the supposed demand was made and only after McDaniels was shown to be full of shit with his backtracking...yeah I'm not buying it.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:39 AM   #435
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
The Broncos fans in this thread have actually changed my mind somewhat on all this.

McDaniels is obviously a dope and not ready for this positition. He's going to waste this offense behind a crappy QB. And he's not going to get anything substantial for Cutler, he has no leverage. Even assuming that Cutler is a whiny little girl, McDaniels still botched all this big-time. It's really one of the biggest personnel botches I can remember in professional sports - it's not like this was a trade or aquisition that didn't work out, he's practically imploded the franchise with his incompetence. I'd be be SO pissed if I was a Broncos fan.

If I was another team though, I'd stay away from Cutler unless I was desperate and didn't have to give anything up. He's not even trying to pretend to look classy here. Selling your house and not answering phone calls is weak. He's officially a crybaby now, no matter where he ends up, no matter what he does the rest of his career. Not the guy I'd want as the face of my franchise.

Do you not root for a team that includes Randy Moss?

Cutler has a serious problem with McDaniels, but there's very little reason to believe he'd bring that attitude to a team where he was unquestionably valued.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:41 AM   #436
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
He's officially a crybaby now, no matter where he ends up, no matter what he does the rest of his career.

You're ridiculously overreacting. He was a model citizen his entire career, and could be one with his new team going forward...and you're going to hold a grudge on him for the next 10 years? Good thing for Elway you weren't around back then.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:43 AM   #437
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

+1
Old 04-01-2009, 09:51 AM   #438
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Do you not root for a team that includes Randy Moss?

Cutler has a serious problem with McDaniels, but there's very little reason to believe he'd bring that attitude to a team where he was unquestionably valued.

Unless he didn't like the coach. Or I'm guessing, his pay, the GM, the offense, etc.

He's always rubbed me the wrong way, just my opinion, I wouldn't want him. I think he was overrated before all this.

Moss wasn't really a risk. He's only a WR, and was acquired for a 4th round pick. If he didn't work out, they could have cut him during training camp, no big deal.

It's not quite the same deal at the QB position. Obviously, you can't hedge your bets and have a starting quality backup - Cutler would probably balk any perceived competition. But giving up only a 4th round pick would probably make it a decent risk, if you had no other options.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:54 AM   #439
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I just can't wait for this National Nightmare to end. I have had enough with the constant updates about Cutler and McDaniels.

Cutler didn't respond to text messages!

Cutler wont call people back!

McDaniels sat down at Cutler's table in the cafeteria and Cutler promptly grabbed his tray and moved to another table!

This stupid little drama has run its course.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:54 AM   #440
molson
General Manager

Quote:
You're ridiculously overreacting. He was a model citizen his entire career, and could be one with his new team going forward...and you're going to hold a grudge on him for the next 10 years? Good thing for Elway you weren't around back then.

Elway > Cutler. I'm sure if Culter gets to 5 super bowls the stench of this will wear off. But what happens when he struggles with his new crappy team, and starts to mouth off and demand trades?

It's obviously all overblown in the media, but it's that same media that will be putting extra pressure on Cutler wherever he ends up. It's not a great situation.

Last edited by molson : 04-01-2009 at 09:58 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:55 AM   #441
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:

Trying to find the sources. This was discussed back when it first happened among all the coaching changes, before FA started. Of course all searches right now are hitting the stuff since mid-March with the Cassel trade so I'm having a hard time digging up a link. Working on it...
Old 04-01-2009, 09:58 AM   #442
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Unless he didn't like the coach. Or I'm guessing, his pay, the GM, the offense, etc.

Show me the demand for a trade when Shanahan was fired. McDaniels hired? His holdout and demand for a new contract after making the pro bowl?

Quote:
But giving up only a 4th round pick would probably make it a decent risk, if you had no other options.

Every NFL fan in the country should be happy you're not their team's GM.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:02 AM   #443
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Elway > Cutler. I'm sure if Culter gets to 5 super bowls the stench of this will wear off. But what happens when he struggles with his new crappy team, and starts to mouth off and demand trades?

Are you forgetting that Elway demanded a trade from the Colts who mistreated him to the tune of drafting him?

Or that Eli Manning did the same before even being drafted.

And that once those guys started playing, those things were largely forgotten? Criticism of Elway for that wore off long before the 5th Super Bowl. Criticism of Eli has always centered around his play.

This will be forgotten (or at least stop being a big media story) by Friday of week 1 of the NFL, and Cutler will be judged solely by his play.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:03 AM   #444
molson
General Manager

Quote:

Every NFL fan in the country should be happy you're not their team's GM.

I don't know about that. I'm no football expert, but I'd make lots of crazy comments to the media that would be kind of fun.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:04 AM   #445
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Trying to find the sources. This was discussed back when it first happened among all the coaching changes, before FA started. Of course all searches right now are hitting the stuff since mid-March with the Cassel trade so I'm having a hard time digging up a link. Working on it...

This is the article which King first reported this.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ncy/index.html

Quote:
I heard one other interesting thing Sunday: Cutler asked for a trade shortly after the Broncos lost offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates -- Cutler's confidant -- to USC after the season. So maybe both sides need to go into marriage counseling here.

Every other mention since then, as far as I've seen, has simply referenced this small passage by King.

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 04-01-2009 at 10:05 AM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:05 AM   #446
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

Yes, because he has repeatedly come out and mouthed off about how his defense not being able to stop a pop warner offense was the reason for his team not making the playoffs. Right?

Why are you just inventing shit?
Old 04-01-2009, 10:08 AM   #447
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
Are you forgetting that Elway demanded a trade from the Colts who mistreated him to the tune of drafting him?

Or that Eli Manning did the same before even being drafted.

And that once those guys started playing, those things were largely forgotten? Criticism of Elway for that wore off long before the 5th Super Bowl. Criticism of Eli has always centered around his play.

This will be forgotten (or at least stop being a big media story) by Friday of week 1 of the NFL, and Cutler will be judged solely by his play.

Manning's also won a super bowl. And both the Elway/Manning things happened before their careers even started, not during the middle of them.

How he plays will end up being the most important thing of course, he'll just have a shorter leash with the media when it comes to any future mouthing off.

Denver's a great football town. I just can't believe he's going to be less whiney in a place like Detroit.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:10 AM   #448
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm probably in the minority here, but I actually side with Cutler on this. And I'm a Broncos fan, so I know that his forcing the Broncos' hand means my team is probably out of the playoff hunt for a couple of years. What I think everyone is completely discounting is that this guy was drafted as the heir apparent to Elway, has been built up by the team, the city, the press, etc., as the Next Coming, has become the face of the franchise, and within 4 months, he's had his coach fired, been told the offensive staff wouldn't change, got a new coach who fired the offensive staff, and was actively shopped to bring in a lesser QB who the coach likes

I completely agree with you. I think whoever gets Cutler is getting a steal.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:12 AM   #449
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Yes, because he has repeatedly come out and mouthed off about how his defense not being able to stop a pop warner offense was the reason for his team not making the playoffs. Right?

Why are you just inventing shit?

I'm not inventing shit. I'm stating an opinion about future behavior based on what I'm observing now. And stating my opinion about what a douchebag Cutler is, and how I wouldn't want him on my team unless I was desperate. (I thought it was Boston fans that couldn't take criticisms about teams/athletes?)

You're actually the only one inventing anything - I didn't claim that "he has repeatedly come out and mouthed off about how his defense not being able to stop a pop warner offense was the reason for his team not making the playoffs"...Though, maybe that's part of the trade demand too.

Maybe he'll succeed, maybe he'll fail. I'll be rooting for him to fail. I really hope he ends up on the Lions.

Last edited by molson : 04-01-2009 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:20 AM   #450
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm not inventing shit. I'm stating an opinion about future behavior based on what I'm observing now. And stating my opinion about what a douchebag Cutler is, and how I wouldn't want him on my team unless I was desperate. (I thought it was Boston fans that couldn't take criticisms about teams/athletes?)

You're actually the only one inventing anything - I didn't claim that "he has repeatedly come out and mouthed off about how his defense not being able to stop a pop warner offense was the reason for his team not making the playoffs"...Though, maybe that's part of the trade demand too.

Maybe he'll succeed, maybe he'll fail. I'll be rooting for him to fail.

Sorry, you're right. Why are you speculating on what he will do in the future based on what you observed in this one instance, when he didn't exhibit any of that behavior iin the past despite having ample opportunities to do so (i.e. him not bitching about the coaching change that has occurred, but you feel he will all of a sudden start bitching the next time it occurs: "unless he doesn't like his coach").