Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-30-2009, 09:49 PM   #51
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I guess it depends on how the show is done.

Doubt it will work myself, but they damned well better not fuck up the theme song.

JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:23 AM   #52
NewIdentity
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I was starting to enjoy The Unusuals
Me too. I didn't hear anything about it being cancelled.

Also surprised to see Castle get another year since there is nothing "new" there. Just seemed like another ripoff run of the meal TV Detective show with a Quirky character.

Last edited by NewIdentity : 07-31-2009 at 05:28 AM.
NewIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:25 AM   #53
NewIdentity
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat729 View Post
New comedies starring Kelsey Grammer (Hank) and Patricia Heaton (The Middle) will lead off Wednesday,
I thought this was funny, since both these two starred in one of the worst sitcoms from last year.

Right now I am watching more original programs on the SciFi channel than I am any other network. Although, I have no idea why they changed their name to SyFy , seems stupid to me.

Last edited by NewIdentity : 07-31-2009 at 05:36 AM.
NewIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:50 PM   #54
RainMaker
General Manager

NBC cancels 'Southland' before its premiere--The Live Feed | THR

Don't quite understand this move. Never saw the show, but shouldn't this be a decision made before episodes have been made?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:06 AM   #55
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
NBC cancels 'Southland' before its premiere--The Live Feed | THR

Don't quite understand this move. Never saw the show, but shouldn't this be a decision made before episodes have been made?

Probably coulda & shoulda but the impact that the lead-ins are having on Leno's ratings appear to be so significant that they couldn't risk a solid sub 2.0 show pushing him to reocrd lows right now. And there was pretty much on reason to think that S'land was going to fare better at 9pm than it did at 10p and apparently some worry that it was going to do much worse in the earlier hour.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:05 PM   #56
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Probably coulda & shoulda but the impact that the lead-ins are having on Leno's ratings appear to be so significant that they couldn't risk a solid sub 2.0 show pushing him to reocrd lows right now. And there was pretty much on reason to think that S'land was going to fare better at 9pm than it did at 10p and apparently some worry that it was going to do much worse in the earlier hour.

Errr, seems odd to blame the lead-ins for Leno's ratings since he severely underperformed his lead-in every single night last week. And even on the night where he had his best lead-in (Thursday, when The Office led in with a 4.5), his numbers were essentially the same as on any other night (1.7 compared to the 1.4 he got after Trauma). And really he's not going to get a better lead-in than a hugely promoted one hour Office episode. From here on out, it's going to be the much lower rated 30 Rock.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:09 PM   #57
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

FAIL LENO FAIL!!!!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:15 PM   #58
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Errr, seems odd to blame the lead-ins for Leno's ratings since he severely underperformed his lead-in every single night last week. And even on the night where he had his best lead-in (Thursday, when The Office led in with a 4.5), his numbers were essentially the same as on any other night (1.7 compared to the 1.4 he got after Trauma). And really he's not going to get a better lead-in than a hugely promoted one hour Office episode. From here on out, it's going to be the much lower rated 30 Rock.

Never mind how much/little crossover there is between Office audience and Leno's audience, you're forgetting how much of Leno's audience was likely on TBS for the most watched LDS opening games since 2005.

Media Life Magazine - For 'Leno,' so far so good, ratings-wise

"Leno" has actually finished first among adults 18-34 on two nights since the season officially began, and it finished second on four nights and third on the remaining four.

Its ratings fluctuate by the night, rising and falling mostly depending on its lead-in, not on who his guests may be.

"Leno" has posted its highest numbers on Tuesdays, when NBC airs its third-highest-rated show, "The Biggest Loser."

The show averaged a 2.1 this past Tuesday, with a 3.7 lead-in from "Loser," compared to a 1.5 the previous night, when his lead-in was a mere 1.7 from "Trauma."

Last Thursday, "Leno" had his second-best lead-in of the week in "Community," which averaged a 2.9, but it also faced the week's two highest-rated 10 p.m. shows, ABC's "Private Practice" and CBS's "The Mentalist." "Leno" averaged just a 1.5, his second-lowest of the week.

By comparison, last season, airing 95 minutes later, "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" averaged a 1.4 rating. That's the baseline NBC is using for comparisons.

The bottom line seems to be this: Many of Leno's core fans will tune in every night, but the show will rise and fall beyond that based on Leno's lead-in and the competition.

He will fare best on Tuesdays, where ABC's competing "The Forgotten" seems doomed to cancellation and "Loser" provides a big boost.

He will fare worst on Fridays, where his lead-in is practically nonexistent, and Thursdays, where "Mentalist" and "Practice" are drawing double his audience.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:39 PM   #59
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Media Life Magazine - Friday fizzle: Fox yanks 'Dollhouse'

Little wonder Fox is pulling "Dollhouse" off the air during the November sweeps. Joss Whedon's sci fi drama is getting pounded by just about everything.

"Dollhouse" finished a distant fifth in its timeslot Friday at 9 p.m., just a few tenths ahead of a rerun of "America's Next Top Model" on the CW, averaging a 0.8 adults 18-49 rating, according to Nielsen overnights.

"Dollhouse" may have had a chance to stay on the air if the rest of Fox's schedule wasn't performing so well.

With the network having a decent shot at winning November sweeps if baseball produces strong ratings, "Dollhouse" would have pulled the network's weekly average down. The drama is one of the network's lowest-rated shows, along with Friday night mates "Brothers" and "'Til Death."

Instead, Fox will air reruns of "Bones" and "House" on Fridays next month, which will likely draw better ratings. The network has indicated that "Dollhouse" will return to finish out its 13-episode run once sweeps are done.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:46 PM   #60
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
With the network having a decent shot at winning November sweeps if baseball produces strong ratings

I'd read somewhere (an article linked on mlb.com iirc) that postseason baseball was getting higher ratings this year, but that was for the games on cable in the first round. It'd be nice if it was doing well on network TV also, I recall that statement from years ago when the NBC exec was hoping for a Series sweep so he could run programs that more people would want to watch than baseball.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:50 PM   #61
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
I'd read somewhere (an article linked on mlb.com iirc) that postseason baseball was getting higher ratings this year, but that was for the games on cable in the first round. It'd be nice if it was doing well on network TV also, I recall that statement from years ago when the NBC exec was hoping for a Series sweep so he could run programs that more people would want to watch than baseball.

The New York Yankees' victory averaged a 5.2 adults 18-49 rating from 8:17 p.m. to 12:03 a.m., according to early Nielsen data, up 49 percent over the network's last LCS game six in 2007 and boosting Fox to No. 1 for the night.

The game also averaged 15.5 million total viewers, up from 11.2 million two years ago.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-26-2009 at 01:50 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:52 PM   #62
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Media Life Magazine - Friday fizzle: Fox yanks 'Dollhouse'

Little wonder Fox is pulling "Dollhouse" off the air during the November sweeps. Joss Whedon's sci fi drama is getting pounded by just about everything.

"Dollhouse" finished a distant fifth in its timeslot Friday at 9 p.m., just a few tenths ahead of a rerun of "America's Next Top Model" on the CW, averaging a 0.8 adults 18-49 rating, according to Nielsen overnights.

"Dollhouse" may have had a chance to stay on the air if the rest of Fox's schedule wasn't performing so well.

With the network having a decent shot at winning November sweeps if baseball produces strong ratings, "Dollhouse" would have pulled the network's weekly average down. The drama is one of the network's lowest-rated shows, along with Friday night mates "Brothers" and "'Til Death."

Instead, Fox will air reruns of "Bones" and "House" on Fridays next month, which will likely draw better ratings. The network has indicated that "Dollhouse" will return to finish out its 13-episode run once sweeps are done.

Darn - I enjoy Dollhouse. Not in my top 5, but I like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:05 PM   #63
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

That was always the issue with "Dollhouse" though. It's interesting, but very niche programming. Probably would have done better on Sci-Fi (Syfy?).
Old 10-26-2009, 02:17 PM   #64
RainMaker
General Manager

Dollhouse would work on HBO if you made it a little darker and got Eliza Dushku nude (which would get me to subscribe).
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:01 PM   #65
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Dollhouse would work on HBO if you made it a little darker and got Eliza Dushku nude (which would get me to subscribe).

+1
Old 10-26-2009, 03:02 PM   #66
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Ahh, I kept missing DollHouse primarily because it was on Friday nights. I never get to the tv on fridays. I DVR'd it but was a few weeks behind unfortunately.

Ashame it was cancelled, I enjoyed it much more than alot of the other stuff out there.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:37 PM   #67
samifan24
Pro Starter

Southland is apparently very close to a deal with TNT.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:59 PM   #68
Thomkal
Head Coach

I too enjoy Dollhouse-I just find the moral dilemnas and the general concept very intriguing. I liked the focus last week on some of the secondary characters like Sierra.
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:37 AM   #69
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And the season is officially over (actually ended a week ago, I just don't think anyone posted the final tally here yet)

CBS wins total viewers for the 7th time in 8 years, Fox wins 18-49 for the 6th straight year, NBC would have been down vs last year if not for the Olympics, and ABC takes a sharp nosedive of 4%-8% depending on the demo. For that matter, CBS would have had declines similar to ABC if not for the Super Bowl.

You can see a couple of graphs & some other commentary at
Broadcast Network TV Ratings 2009-10 Season Final Ratings ; Fox ratings, NBC ratings, ABC ratings, CBS ratings, CW ratings - TV Ratings, Nielsen Ratings, Television Show Ratings | TVbytheNumbers.com
Old 06-07-2010, 10:31 AM   #70
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

A thousand times yes!!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:42 AM   #71
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

You probably are right.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote