Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-01-2010, 10:15 PM   #1
stevew
Hall Of Famer

shows on the History Channel

Pawn Stars-i dunno what it is, but I could seriously watch this for hours on end. Every episode involves people bringing in stuff and the owners establishing value. Sort of like Antiques road show. But if the people needed money fast.

Madhouse-just caught this the other day for the first time. The setting is some historic race track in Winston Salem. It follows a group of never-was drivers as they prepare for each week's race.
The villian of the show is some old dirty driver named junior. His crew chief is hilarious. Imagine the biggest redneck you've ever seen. Then give him the disposition of a meth addict.

stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:18 PM   #2
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Gangland is the best show on History.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:26 PM   #3
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Pawn Stars-i dunno what it is, but I could seriously watch this for hours on end. Every episode involves people bringing in stuff and the owners establishing value. Sort of like Antiques road show. But if the people needed money fast.

Madhouse-just caught this the other day for the first time. The setting is some historic race track in Winston Salem. It follows a group of never-was drivers as they prepare for each week's race.
The villian of the show is some old dirty driver named junior. His crew chief is hilarious. Imagine the biggest redneck you've ever seen. Then give him the disposition of a meth addict.

I love Pawn Stars too. My 9-year old got me hooked, and when I was in Vegas a couple of weeks ago I interviewed Rick and Big Hoss on the show and Rick was nice enough to give me a tour of the shop. He also had everyone sign an autographed photo for my son. It was one of the highlights of my trip but I couldn't think of a way to brag about it... until now.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:45 PM   #4
sabotai
General Manager

History is really hit or really miss with me. I love Pawn Stars, Modern Marvels, The Universe and, of course, any time they show Band of Brothers for an entire weekend. Gangland is good, too, but it seems like the story is pretty much the same for every gang, so it gets old at times.

Could really do without all of the BullshitQuest shows. I realize that crap brings in the money, though, so I guess it's a necessary evil.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:51 PM   #5
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

So does the history channel show history shows anymore?
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:59 PM   #6
mrsimperless
College Prospect

I hate even getting started on this topic because it just upsets me. History has some really good shows, but they are few and far between. But this goes for most of the similar channels as well: Science, history international, nat geo, animal planet, etc. I have about 6 channels that I usually hit up at the beginning of the week and check out what will be on. I then pick and choose anything that looks interesting and set it on the dvr.

As far as History channel specific shows I really enjoyed the 10-part WWII documentary they did recently. I thought it was extremely well done they way they kept the story flowing through multiple characters. I also enjoyed the interviews mixed in with the narration. When I checked a few weeks ago Comcast had all of them for free on demand which is pretty cool.

I'm looking forward to see what they do with America: The Story of Us.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:09 PM   #7
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsimperless View Post
I hate even getting started on this topic because it just upsets me. History has some really good shows, but they are few and far between. But this goes for most of the similar channels as well: Science, history international, nat geo, animal planet, etc. I have about 6 channels that I usually hit up at the beginning of the week and check out what will be on. I then pick and choose anything that looks interesting and set it on the dvr.

As far as History channel specific shows I really enjoyed the 10-part WWII documentary they did recently. I thought it was extremely well done they way they kept the story flowing through multiple characters. I also enjoyed the interviews mixed in with the narration. When I checked a few weeks ago Comcast had all of them for free on demand which is pretty cool.

I'm looking forward to see what they do with America: The Story of Us.

I read The Onion's article Science Channel Refuses To Dumb Down Science Any Further yesterday and laughed while reading what I thought were names of shows made up for the article. The feeling quickly led to depression after finding out that Really Big Things, Punkin Chunkin and Mantracker were actually shows on the Science Channel.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:43 PM   #8
Groundhog
Coordinator

The should rename the History Channel to "The WWII And Occasional Nostradamus Documentary Channel".

I mean, I enjoy a lot of the WWII docos, and I've learnt a lot over the past couple of months about the war thanks to some pretty good docos that they've shown, but jeezus christ, how about mixing it up a bit?
Old 02-01-2010, 11:49 PM   #9
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
The should rename the History Channel to "The WWII And Occasional Nostradamus Documentary Channel".

I mean, I enjoy a lot of the WWII docos, and I've learnt a lot over the past couple of months about the war thanks to some pretty good docos that they've shown, but jeezus christ, how about mixing it up a bit?

I can't remember seeing a WW2 doc on there in a while. I usually have to hit Military Channel or History International for that. It seems History Channel is all Pawn Stars, Modern Marvels, Monster Quest, The Universe, Ice Road Truckers and something occult related. Unless I am just missing the nights when they are on.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:54 PM   #10
Groundhog
Coordinator

Hmm, our History Channel must have different programming. Mostly it's American WWII docos, rarer it's British WWII docos, and even rarer still Australian WWII docos (caught a great one last week... I didn't even realise how many Aussie cities got bombed by the Japanese until watching that).
Old 02-01-2010, 11:55 PM   #11
Groundhog
Coordinator

dola

All those Modern Marvels, The Universe, etc. shows are on our "Discovery Channel". I enjoy those too, The Universe in particular.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:00 AM   #12
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hmm, our History Channel must have different programming. Mostly it's American WWII docos, rarer it's British WWII docos, and even rarer still Australian WWII docos (caught a great one last week... I didn't even realise how many Aussie cities got bombed by the Japanese until watching that).

Doh, I didn't see who I was quoting. You probably get the History Channel International which does fit the description with the WW2 documentaries.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:01 AM   #13
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
dola

All those Modern Marvels, The Universe, etc. shows are on our "Discovery Channel". I enjoy those too, The Universe in particular.

Sounds like your Discovery Channel is our History Channel.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:13 AM   #14
Groundhog
Coordinator

Doesn't make any sense to me that those shows, "Modern Marvels" in particular, would be on the History Channel, but then, hey, I'm not one of the idiots responsible for programming, either!
Old 02-02-2010, 12:21 AM   #15
PraetorianX
High School JV

Just thinking of The History Channel makes me sad.

I mean, some of the shows can be interesting, but more often than not aren't really 'History'. When they do show history, it's mostly WWII or every so often Roman era, with a bit of American Revolution/Civil War thrown in.

And then there are the aliens and conspiracy theories and Nostradamus that always end in the same ambiguous way.

Is it really two much to ask for a nice documentary on Angevin England or the Crusades? Maybe something on ancient Egypt or ancient Greece, eh? How about a documentary on the unification of Russia, Germany, Italy or Spain? The Ottoman Empire was one of the largest empires on earth at it's height, have they ever had a documentary dedicated to it though?

These are all fairly large and well known areas of history, imho, not some obscure period with nothing of interest to regular people.

Mind you, I wouldn't mind a nice documentary on subjects such as the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, the Kalmar Union, Safavid Persia, the Holy Roman Empire, War of the Roses, Thirty Years War, and other various subjects that are probably deemed to unimportant/unappealing for them to bother with.

Sad.
PraetorianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:03 AM   #16
sabotai
General Manager

I'd love shows on those topics too. I gave up hope for things like that long ago.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:12 AM   #17
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I love Gangland. Oftentimes I mutter "South Side Locos" in the Gangland voice, just to soothe myself.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:32 AM   #18
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I like How the Earth Was Made and Life After People
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:22 AM   #19
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Battles BC was nice.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:59 AM   #20
RainMaker
General Manager

I like some of their shows but still think they belong on another channel. I'd rather History stick to History. Thought their thing on JFK awhile back was unbelievable and would rather them focus on stuff like that.

I think all those channels are hit or miss and I've been finding myself going through the guide a week in advance and just recording some documentaries/shows that look interesting. Always a fan of ancient culture stuff like Egyptians, Mayans, etc.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:53 AM   #21
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Looking at your program lineup (TV Shows on the History Channel - History Channel (Australia and New Zealand))
it appears to be a custom mix of programs from their three properties, leaning heavily on Military History and to some extent History International (as it's known in the US).
Old 02-02-2010, 07:04 AM   #22
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Are you guys talking about the Modern Marvels Channel?
Old 02-02-2010, 07:05 AM   #23
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I like some of their shows but still think they belong on another channel. I'd rather History stick to History.

First, let me give a shout to a personal favorite of their current originals, Cities of the Underworld. It's gotten cheesier as it got older but the first season in particular was some pretty good TV afaic with looks at places I'd certainly never seen before.

Meanwhile

They tried the fairly pure history thing, couldn't get them past about 18th in the ratings among cable networks (after being mired in the 20's for years)

Meanwhile ...

HISTORY records its best 3rd quarter and best September ever - TV Ratings, Nielsen Ratings, Television Show Ratings | TVbytheNumbers.com

New York, September 30, 2009 – HISTORY™ has just completed its best Third Quarter of all time, and its best September ever, in all key demos. The network’s success continues to be driven by its powerful series including the sizzling freshman series PAWN STARS, returning hit ICE ROAD TRUCKERS as well as newcomers MysteryQuest and Nostradamus Effect. ...

Third Quarter 2009 is the network’s best ever, with increases in all key demos vs. 2008*:

* #1 A25-54 (610,000) – up +11%
* #1 A18-49 (564,000) – up +13%
* #1 M25-54 (418,000 – up +14%
* #1 M18-49 (388,000) – up +15%
* #1 in Total Viewers (1.2 million) – up +9%

* Rankings are the network’s vs. itself since HISTORY began being measured, and the % are vs. 2008.

ICE ROAD TRUCKERS remains HISTORY’s #1 hit, with a series average of 2.7 million total viewers, 1.3 million A18-49 and 1.6 million A25-54. The more recently launched PAWN STARS, in the 10pm hour on Sundays, has averaged 2.2 million total viewers, 1.2 million A18-49 and 1.3 million A25-54. It is now the network’s number two series of all time, after ICE ROAD TRUCKERS.

And last week (Jan 18-25) they were #9 among all networks for Primetime Average Viewers (Live+SD) and #7 among Primetime 18-49 Average Viewers
Old 02-02-2010, 01:50 PM   #24
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Heck, that's what it was 10 years ago. Now it's more pseudo-history crap just like, again, Discovery, National Geographic, etc.

But, as JIMGA shows us once again, there are no depths to which you can dig to get better ratings

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:37 PM   #25
mrsimperless
College Prospect

Quote:
Doesn't make any sense to me that those shows, "Modern Marvels" in particular, would be on the History Channel, but then, hey, I'm not one of the idiots responsible for programming, either!

I enjoy Modern Marvels quite a bit and it often does provide a very solid historical overview of the subject in question. they often dwell on crap that is superficial and seems more geared towards ratings rather than subjects I'd prefer to watch, but I will generally watch a Modern Marvels episode on just about anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Are you guys talking about the Modern Marvels Channel?

Yes, lots of reruns on these. Although I watch the beer and whiskey episodes every time they come on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
I like How the Earth Was Made and Life After People

How the Earth Was Made is quality and I immensely enjoy it. Problem is I think I've seen every episode at least three times.

Life After People was good too. When it was a one off special. I just really don't think there is the staying power here for a series. I get it. If there are no more people nature comes back with a vengeance faster than anyone would believe. I don't need to see that same story rehashed over multiple episodes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
First, let me give a shout to a personal favorite of their current originals, Cities of the Underworld. It's gotten cheesier as it got older but the first season in particular was some pretty good TV afaic with looks at places I'd certainly never seen before.

Meanwhile

They tried the fairly pure history thing, couldn't get them past about 18th in the ratings among cable networks (after being mired in the 20's for years)

Meanwhile ...

HISTORY records its best 3rd quarter and best September ever - TV Ratings, Nielsen Ratings, Television Show Ratings | TVbytheNumbers.com

New York, September 30, 2009 – HISTORY™ has just completed its best Third Quarter of all time, and its best September ever, in all key demos. The network’s success continues to be driven by its powerful series including the sizzling freshman series PAWN STARS, returning hit ICE ROAD TRUCKERS as well as newcomers MysteryQuest and Nostradamus Effect. ...

Third Quarter 2009 is the network’s best ever, with increases in all key demos vs. 2008*:

* Rankings are the network’s vs. itself since HISTORY began being measured, and the % are vs. 2008.

ICE ROAD TRUCKERS remains HISTORY’s #1 hit, with a series average of 2.7 million total viewers, 1.3 million A18-49 and 1.6 million A25-54. The more recently launched PAWN STARS, in the 10pm hour on Sundays, has averaged 2.2 million total viewers, 1.2 million A18-49 and 1.3 million A25-54. It is now the network’s number two series of all time, after ICE ROAD TRUCKERS.

And last week (Jan 18-25) they were #9 among all networks for Primetime Average Viewers (Live+SD) and #7 among Primetime 18-49 Average Viewers

Everything you just said makes me ashamed to be American. Actually, I can understand this kind of garbage on network TV, but History Channel??? Dolla dolla bills ya'll, that's all it is.

Over here in Scotland at the moment and for the most part the BBC kicks the ass of most things we have to offer. They have a show on fairly regularly, fairly late at night that is a bunch of guys excavating some site in the UK and trying to rebuild a picture of the different societies who have lived there in the past. If we're going to watch "reality TV" on the "history channel" why not something at least half-way cool like that?
Old 02-02-2010, 02:46 PM   #26
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Wait? There's actually a show called Punkin' Chunkin' where they smash pumpkins?

SI

Old 02-02-2010, 03:44 PM   #27
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Wait? There's actually a show called Punkin' Chunkin' where they smash pumpkins?

SI

Yes, it's about air cannons that shoot pumpkins. It's some sort of regular competition / convention / excuse to party and fire large projectiles from really large guns.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:51 PM   #28
molson
General Manager

Most of the older good stuff is available on Netflix.

I loved Decisive Battles, Russia: Land of The Tsars, and the Barbarians series.

I have no interest in pumpkins, bridges, axes, or trucks.
molson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:59 PM   #29
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Most of the older good stuff is available on Netflix.

I loved Decisive Battles, Russia: Land of The Tsars, and the Barbarians series.

I have no interest in pumpkins, bridges, axes, or trucks.

The thing I like about Pawn Stars, as opposed to Ice Road Truckers or Ax Men, is that there actually is some interesting history to be had in every episode. Someone will bring in a big-ass treasure chest or an old rifle, and they end up bringing in an expert who will relay some interesting factoids about the item.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:57 PM   #30
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

Meanwhile

Meanwhile ...

Yeah I figured that much. It's still depressing watching something called the History Channel devolve into reality show mania. At some point these channels should stop going by names since they are basically the same thing.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:06 PM   #31
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Dolla dolla bills ya'll, that's all it is.

Well duh

Quote:
They have a show on fairly regularly, fairly late at night that is a bunch of guys excavating some site in the UK and trying to rebuild a picture of the different societies who have lived there in the past.

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, that show already airs / has aired is the US. The episode I remember specifically was trying to dig up part of Hadrian's wall. Part archaeology & part "screw it we've only got three days, bring those bulldozers over here".
Old 02-02-2010, 05:34 PM   #32
mrsimperless
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards View Post
The thing I like about Pawn Stars, as opposed to Ice Road Truckers or Ax Men, is that there actually is some interesting history to be had in every episode. Someone will bring in a big-ass treasure chest or an old rifle, and they end up bringing in an expert who will relay some interesting factoids about the item.

And then a couplea fat guys sell it for cash so they can get some extree fried chikkins.

Sorry it may actually be decent and I've never taken the time to watch it, but then again I don't think I plan to. Put it on the reality channel and tout its historical references and I might give it a chance, but don't pollute what could otherwise be my favorite channel with this trite garbage.

Last edited by mrsimperless : 02-02-2010 at 05:36 PM.
mrsimperless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:39 PM   #33
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Sounds like the episode of Frasier where they were talking about Antiques Roadshow and the dad thought it was a gameshow. Then Frasier, Niles, and their dad watched it together and it was a nice little bonding moment. "Veneer!"

SI

Old 02-02-2010, 05:40 PM   #34
mrsimperless
College Prospect

Plus, taking reference from above, there are no axes OR trucks. How good could it possibly be?

Last edited by mrsimperless : 02-02-2010 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Dolasave
mrsimperless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:42 PM   #35
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Plus, taking reference from above, there are no axes OR trucks. How good could it possibly be?

There was one episode where a guy pawned a big rig.

And they've had several swords come through their doors. Swords > Axes
Old 02-02-2010, 05:51 PM   #36
lungs
Pro Rookie

Really, if they are to have any success rehashing historical stuff that a History channel ought to they'd need to bring some fresh perspective. A lot of research and production involved.

Or they could throw a camera in a pawn shop and talk about some historical items for a lot cheaper I'm guessing. And get better ratings.

I really enjoyed the WW2 thing History just did but I can't imagine it's easy to put together something like that routinely.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:19 PM   #37
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraetorianX View Post
Just thinking of The History Channel makes me sad.

I mean, some of the shows can be interesting, but more often than not aren't really 'History'. When they do show history, it's mostly WWII or every so often Roman era, with a bit of American Revolution/Civil War thrown in.

And then there are the aliens and conspiracy theories and Nostradamus that always end in the same ambiguous way.

Is it really two much to ask for a nice documentary on Angevin England or the Crusades? Maybe something on ancient Egypt or ancient Greece, eh? How about a documentary on the unification of Russia, Germany, Italy or Spain? The Ottoman Empire was one of the largest empires on earth at it's height, have they ever had a documentary dedicated to it though?

These are all fairly large and well known areas of history, imho, not some obscure period with nothing of interest to regular people.

Mind you, I wouldn't mind a nice documentary on subjects such as the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, the Kalmar Union, Safavid Persia, the Holy Roman Empire, War of the Roses, Thirty Years War, and other various subjects that are probably deemed to unimportant/unappealing for them to bother with.

Sad.

I tend to agree with this. Pawn Stars may be a good show, but what does that have to do with History?

Everytime I go to end, their History channel has great documentaries on WWII, WWI, Roman Era, Middle Ages, Victorian, you name it. I'm a huge fan of shows like Time Team as well.

I flip through and look at History channel's lineup and it's just depressing.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:38 PM   #38
DanGarion
Coordinator

I tried to watch Pawn Stars... I really can't handle the morons that are on the show. Picture the idiots that do the one Cycle show but about 10 times dumber.

And I came in really wanted to enjoy the show.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:04 PM   #39
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
I tend to agree with this. Pawn Stars may be a good show, but what does that have to do with History?

Actually I think it does fit into their expanded mission profile a bit, documenting aspects of history/culture that might otherwise go unrecorded in the medium. With the admission that I can't even begin to keep straight which network has which show, there's a niche of programs like that -- ice road truckers, Alaskan fishermen, loggers, funeral directors, exterminators, garbage men, junkyard operators -- and I think this actually fits somewhere between those & the aforementioned Antiques Roadshow.

It kind of puts me in mind of one of the philosophical differences among members of the historic preservation movement, which could probably be boiled down to whether something has to be older than you to be significant or just old. Take some of the really bad (IMO) pop culture architectural icons like ranch houses or early shopping malls & shopping centers. By age they're now starting to qualify for preservation status & attention but there's definitely two camps developed over whether they're worth saving.

Relating back to History, I think there's kind of a gap about whether they should only detail history that's past or whether there's room to also document history as it happens.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:06 PM   #40
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Incidentally, I'm kind of surprised that we got this far into the conversation without someone mentioning American Pickers which follows two guys on their quest to "find a diamond in a rough–a rare and valuable piece of American history."
Old 02-02-2010, 08:22 PM   #41
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Incidentally, I'm kind of surprised that we got this far into the conversation without someone mentioning American Pickers which follows two guys on their quest to "find a diamond in a rough–a rare and valuable piece of American history."

Saw that for the first time last night. Caught me long enough that I may give it another whirl if I see it on.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:19 PM   #42
RainMaker
General Manager

Been watching the marathon of Pawn Stars they've had running all night. Hate most reality shows but love this. Not really interested in their lives much but love the items being brought in. Kind of like Antique Roadshow with really cool stuff.

Question though about the main guy. Is he just in it for the money or is he a collector? He seems to really love some stuff and I can't figure out if he keeps it or just wants to turn around and sell it.

Last edited by RainMaker : 02-15-2010 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:34 AM   #43
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm pretty sure he loves the concept of getting good stuff, because he can turn it around for a fat profit. And he knows that he probably won't have any problem selling it.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:53 PM   #44
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Another great ratings week for Pawn Stars and American Pickers.

Cable ratings: Hannah Montana, Sonny With a Chance and Pawn Stars Top Weekly Cable Viewing - TV Ratings, Nielsen Ratings, Television Show Ratings | TVbytheNumbers.com

PS episodes are #3 and #4 total viewing for the week, trailing only Hannah Montana and Sonny With A Chance, Pickers finishes 8th in total viewers.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:56 PM   #45
sabotai
General Manager

I've seen a few episodes of American Pickers. I find it pretty boring. They guys on it are far too aware that they are on TV, they're not funny and they're not likable. And they hardly talk about the history of the items. It's just them going through old stuff and offering prices. At least, that's what it was in the few episodes I've seen. Not nearly are good as Pawn Stars.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:59 PM   #46
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I've seen a few episodes of American Pickers. I find it pretty boring. They guys on it are far too aware that they are on TV, they're not funny and they're not likable. And they hardly talk about the history of the items. It's just them going through old stuff and offering prices. At least, that's what it was in the few episodes I've seen. Not nearly are good as Pawn Stars.

Of course I have about the opposite reaction, I find Pickers more entertaining, probably by virtue of being dragged through seemingly every antique store in the Southeast by my wife so I'm accustomed to the look but don't talk style of picking whereas I haven't made it through more than 10 minutes of any Pawn Stars.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:16 AM   #47
MikeVic
Head Coach

Pawn Stars is like Antiques Roadshow but less dry, and with more common or known things being brought in I think.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote