Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2024, 10:00 PM   #9951
RainMaker
General Manager
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Well The Rock can still cut a promo.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 10:37 PM   #9952
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Behind Enemy Lines in Athens, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Well The Rock can still cut a promo.

I dunno, I thought it was a little flat. But maybe I'm grading on a curve.

My exact take was "we now live in a world where Heyman will be a better promo than Rock 10 times out of 10"
__________________
"I lit another cigarette. Unless I specifically inform you to the contrary, I am always lighting another cigarette." - from a novel by Martin Amis
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 10:50 AM   #9953
Toddzilla
Pro Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Burke, VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I dunno, I thought it was a little flat. But maybe I'm grading on a curve.

My exact take was "we now live in a world where Heyman will be a better promo than Rock 10 times out of 10"
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 05:59 PM   #9954
Toddzilla
Pro Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Burke, VA
I got texts from a few of my limey friends to tell me that the RevPro Osprey/Oku match was the greatest match they've ever seen and probably one of the best matches ever. I'm headed to the RevPro site to see if it's streamable now.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 07:43 PM   #9955
RainMaker
General Manager
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Nia Jax might be the new worst wrestler I've ever seen. How did she get a chance to main event a PPV?
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 08:07 PM   #9956
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Nia Jax might be the new worst wrestler I've ever seen. How did she get a chance to main event a PPV?

Definitely not the new worst.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSweeny
Because you know it takes sound strategy to get killed repeatedly on day one right?
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 08:08 PM   #9957
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
She has a long history of injuring her opponents.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSweeny
Because you know it takes sound strategy to get killed repeatedly on day one right?
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 08:40 PM   #9958
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Behind Enemy Lines in Athens, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
How did she get a chance to main event a PPV?

Her being the second cousin (once removed) of The Rock might answer that question.
__________________
"I lit another cigarette. Unless I specifically inform you to the contrary, I am always lighting another cigarette." - from a novel by Martin Amis
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 09:15 PM   #9959
RainMaker
General Manager
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
I mean I'm sure there are worse but maybe not in a PPV main event that large. There are good wrestlers like Asuka they could feed to Rhea.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 08:38 AM   #9960
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I mean I'm sure there are worse but maybe not in a PPV main event that large. There are good wrestlers like Asuka they could feed to Rhea.

I know we are talking about Nia here so the comparison is moot, but it isnít like Asuka hasnít had her chances. She has been champion, even as recently as Summerslam 2003 where she was the defending champion. The reality is Asuka is a hard fit for WWE due to her limited promo ability which caps her upside. I think despite that sheís had a great career in WWE. Wikipedia has her as a 4 time Womenís Champion in WWE and that isnít even counting NXT. She alap currently is one half of the tag champs.

Again, Iím not comparing her to Nia. This is just a general commentary on Asuka in WWE.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSweeny
Because you know it takes sound strategy to get killed repeatedly on day one right?
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 06:00 PM   #9961
Toddzilla
Pro Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Burke, VA
WWE = very entertaining, wrestling not so much
AEW = very good wrestling, entertaining not so much
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 06:23 PM   #9962
RainMaker
General Manager
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
I know we are talking about Nia here so the comparison is moot, but it isnít like Asuka hasnít had her chances. She has been champion, even as recently as Summerslam 2003 where she was the defending champion. The reality is Asuka is a hard fit for WWE due to her limited promo ability which caps her upside. I think despite that sheís had a great career in WWE. Wikipedia has her as a 4 time Womenís Champion in WWE and that isnít even counting NXT. She alap currently is one half of the tag champs.

Again, Iím not comparing her to Nia. This is just a general commentary on Asuka in WWE.

I didn't mean it to promote Asuka or anything. Rhea was never losing the title before Mania and I think this was just a match to showcase her in front of a stadium crowd in her home country. I just meant it would be nice if they had someone on the roster who could make Rhea look like a million bucks and take the loss. A role that guys like Ziggler were great at.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 07:41 PM   #9963
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Her being the second cousin (once removed) of The Rock might answer that question.

So less tenuous than any actual relation to any other wrestling Samoan's but still not actual blood relation?
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 09:11 PM   #9964
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Behind Enemy Lines in Athens, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
So less tenuous than any actual relation to any other wrestling Samoan's but still not actual blood relation?

Well, she's blood related, it's just distant.

Her dad was a cousin of Rock's grandfather (Peter Maivia)

edit to correct myself: Okay, NOT blood technically. I'd forgotten that his link to Peter Maivia is by adoption (Peter adopted Rock's mother)
__________________
"I lit another cigarette. Unless I specifically inform you to the contrary, I am always lighting another cigarette." - from a novel by Martin Amis

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 02-27-2024 at 09:12 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:57 PM   #9965
miami_fan
Coordinator
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Land O Lakes FL
Tough couple of days for the ol' wresting childhood.

Ole Anderson, Wrestling Legend and Member of the Four Horsemen, Dead at 81

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/...-61-rcna140940
__________________
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasnít. I have a voice on the radio, he hasnít. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I havenít the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I donít own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:42 PM   #9966
RainMaker
General Manager
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
I know Virgil ended up being the butt of jokes later on but his feud with DiBiase is one of the most iconic in WWE history. He was as over as anyone for that period of time.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 26 (0 members and 26 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51 PM.



Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.