Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-08-2011, 06:38 PM   #551
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

Anyone with a passing interest in the Supreme Court should check out Justice Stevens's Five Chiefs. A fun and informative read. Lots of small anecdotes about the court--such as the tobacco spittoons by the justices' seats--combined with his reflections--some times critical--of the past five chief justices and the court.
lcjjdnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:41 PM   #552
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post
Has anyone read House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski? ... I came across this title while browsing a reddit thread and it caught my attention.

I haven't read it, but I see the following on Goodreads:
18,784 have reviewed it, average 4.08 stars (out of 5)
5 of my friends on Goodreads read it, average 3 stars out of 5.
1 of my friends on GR I believe is an FOFC'er and he gave it 1 star.
1 of my other friends on GR rated it 4 stars, and her rating system indicates that she thinks it's a "solid book, might re-read."

Sounds interesting. If only my queue wasn't quite so long.

Right now, I'm listening to Eldest in preparation to listen to the final tome in the Inheritance Cycle (by Paolini). It's not great, but I'm trying to not get too involved in something crazy while waiting for my book club to pick their next read. I have my eyes (ears?) set on reading 1Q84 and also picked up Super Mario: How Nintendo Conquered America on Kindle that I want to read...

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:42 PM   #553
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Also, Confessions of an Economic Hitman is today's Kindle daily deal. I thought it was a really interesting book. Amazon.com: The Kindle Daily Deal

/tk
Old 11-09-2011, 02:16 PM   #554
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Has anyone read House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski?

I came across this title while browsing a reddit thread and it caught my attention.

thought he was Poe's brother. I hear it's strange.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:18 PM   #555
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I'm reading Cryptonomicon.

I am on page 500-something, and really enjoying it. Rarely have I read a book where i can feel the plot coming together, but have no idea where it will end up. Very interesting.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:30 PM   #556
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71 View Post
I'm reading Cryptonomicon.

I am on page 500-something, and really enjoying it. Rarely have I read a book where i can feel the plot coming together, but have no idea where it will end up. Very interesting.

Yeah, that was the first of Stephenson's books that I have read and still probably the best, IMO. Although I really enjoyed (if not entirely understand) Anathem.

Cryptonomicon is just a weird, but really interesting book.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:43 AM   #557
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I like most of Stephenson's books but for me my favorite is still Snow Crash, and will probably always be so. Snow Crash was a really mind-opening book for me, and works with a lot of the same concepts in his later books. I also really like The Diamond Age.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob

Last edited by Peregrine : 11-10-2011 at 04:45 AM.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:45 AM   #558
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Just finished Band of Brothers, great read!

I am now on Blood on the Tracks by Cecilia Holland

I am on a history kick right now so who knows where I will go from here.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:23 AM   #559
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
I'm reading Neal Stephenson's latest, Reamde. I'm almost a third through and though people usually call Stephenson a sci-fi writer and this book is listed under sci-fi, so far it's more of a techno-thriller type book. It's got plot-holes galore though reminds me a bit of Snow Crash. It's nothing like The Baroque Cycle books, though.

As a side note, a large part of this book circles around a fictional MMORPG that has me really wanting to find some older WoW-type game that I can play on my PC. Not a MMORPG but a medieval fantasy RPG type game (and since my computer ain't that great, it would have to be older/not rely on needing the latest in graphics and speed). Must look further into this..

/tk

I'm at roughly the same spot you were when you wrote this, and I concur with everything above, including having a bug to play some sort of RPG game.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:57 AM   #560
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Curious, but is there some gamesmanship there in the fact that Stephenson's Reamde can be quickly rearranged to read "Read Me"?

Will his next book be "Buybokomy"?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 11-10-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:05 AM   #561
AgustusM
College Prospect

Anyone read this, it looks fascinating to me and might be next on my list.

Amazon.com: Christ to Coke: How Image Becomes Icon (9780199581115): Martin Kemp: Books
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:05 PM   #562
AnalBumCover
College Starter

I finally finished A Game of Thrones. I'm deciding between House of Leaves and 1Q84 to read next - I just may end up reading them concurrently. But I'll probably need to find a used hard copy of House because of the unusual formatting and colors, it'd be difficult to enjoy on my Sony reader.

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 11-10-2011 at 12:06 PM.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:34 PM   #563
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I read House of Leaves a few years ago. I found it pretty not to my taste and unusual and disjointed. But the folks I know who love it, absolutely do without question.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:33 PM   #564
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I finally finished A Game of Thrones. I'm deciding between House of Leaves and 1Q84 to read next - I just may end up reading them concurrently. But I'll probably need to find a used hard copy of House because of the unusual formatting and colors, it'd be difficult to enjoy on my Sony reader.

Am I correct in guessing you were not enamored with AGOT, since you're not immediately jumping to A Clash of Kings?

Old 11-10-2011, 01:34 PM   #565
Autumn
Head Coach

He may be like my friend - he has to take a break between Martin books because they're so big.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:38 PM   #566
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
He may be like my friend - he has to take a break between Martin books because they're so big.

Martin and his fans have something in common then.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:42 PM   #567
Autumn
Head Coach

lol
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:43 PM   #568
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Haha! Good one. There are other good books/series out there that I want to read, so I'm constantly struggling whether I should continue with the next book of a particular series, start a new series, or read a standalone story.

How are the rest of you tackling your ever-growing book queue?
Old 11-10-2011, 04:47 PM   #569
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
How are the rest of you tackling your ever-growing book queue?

Watching a lot less TV. Usually reading two books simultaneously (one from Audible, one in print or on Kindle).

/tk
Old 11-10-2011, 04:48 PM   #570
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Dola,
Skyrim coming means my book reading is going down le crappier...

/tk
Old 11-10-2011, 05:43 PM   #571
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

I've been reading the new Stephen King book 11/22/63. I'm not a big King fan necessarily but he has a couple works that I really like: The Stand and Different Seasons come to mind.

I'm about 40% of the way through the book and am really, really liking it. It is an expanded, more mysterious, and seemingly darker vision of Bradbury's "Sound of Thunder." Thus far, I highly recommend it.

ABC- I'll be curious what you think of 1Q84 as it is on my list as well.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:04 PM   #572
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post
ABC- I'll be curious what you think of 1Q84 as it is on my list as well.

Mine too. I'm hoping to get to it soon, though it will depend on a few factors, including Skyrim..

/tk
Old 11-13-2011, 02:53 AM   #573
sabotai
General Manager

I was watching (parts of) Watchmen on TV tonight. There's something about superhero movies that I love. Even if I wouldn't score a superhero movie highly (I'd give Watchmen about a 6 or 7 out of 10), I'll still watch it when it's on. (and no, I have not seen The Incredible Hulk )That unfortunately doesn't translate to graphic novels. I've tried a few times to get into them and I guess their whole style of storytelling, or whatever it is, just doesn't click with me. In a few words.....I pretty much hate them (sorry to those who love them, I'm not trying to trash them.....I just hate them. ).

So I was wondering, are there any good superhero novels out there? I don't think I've ever heard of a superhero (non-graphic) novel, but surely they must exist. If they do, any worth the time.

Another thing about the movie is Rorschach's journal. It's a bit of a tangent, but I thought of how awesome it might be if they made an epistolary novel out of it, including Rorschach's journal. I loved the books Dracula and World War Z, but those are the only 2 epistolary novels I've read. Anyone got any suggestions for some other good ones?

And in doing a search for them just now, I see Carrie by Stephan King is an epistolary novel, so I'll add that to my "to-read" list.

Last edited by sabotai : 11-13-2011 at 02:54 AM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:53 AM   #574
Alf
Pro Starter

Hi there, I'm the new owner of a brand new Kindle4 e-reader. I already have some ebooks in french language, but I am also looking for books in english. Is there a good source of free ebooks available online with quality content ?

Edit : I am looking at "classic" books free of rights.

Thanks in avance.

Last edited by Alf : 11-25-2011 at 07:57 AM.
Alf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:57 AM   #575
cougarfreak
College Starter

The gutenberg project has good ones. Also, if you go to amazon, then the kindle book section. Click on best sellers. There is a list for priced ones, and a list for free ones.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:00 PM   #576
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Finished. Already purchased book 3 for the kindle.

Unbelievable ending. Robin Hobb will give you a glimmer of hope and then smother you in heartbreaking sadness. A part me of says why read book three. It won't end like I want, I'm sure. But I have to read, because Robin Hobb has given me what i've been looking for in the fantasy department.

I flew through that second book, but then it took me about two months to read book 3. Got really busy with school and work and set aside leisure reading. Picked it up Wednesday at about noon and flew through it. Just finished.

Pretty much what I expected. I will be purchasing the physical copies to add to my shelf. Just absolutely incredible and totally relentless. I will say that what keeps this series from residing on my "top shelf" of all-time favorites is maybe the last 100 to 150 pages. Over the previous... 1000+ pages it was filled with punch after punch but the ending seemed to lack that. I don't really know how to explain it. And I did find myself yearning for more of the characters from the previous books, and those who I did get to see again were vastly different then previous. But, that was the point I guess. But, even this being said, it in absolutely no way diminished the story. If anything, it fits the story (except maybe the "punchless" ending).

I believe I have mentioned how I am not well versed in fantasy. I rank Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings really high on my favorites list, but I've dabbled here and there and never really found anything that just bit me like Robin Hobb's series has. It totally comes down to the characters. Hobb created some of the finest characters I have ever had read. Anything similar out there? Not in terms of plot, really, but just a world full of deep characters.

Double edt: unfortunately my "to-read" shelf just got about 9 books larger as I look at Robin Hobb's bibliography. I will die with more books "to-read" then I will have of books that I have already read, I believe.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 11-25-2011 at 11:12 PM.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:36 AM   #577
cougarfreak
College Starter

Reading Stephen King's new one, 11/22/63. The basic premise is a guy travels back in time and stop the Kennedy assassination. I'm about 60% in, it's been a great read.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:47 AM   #578
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

reading it as well.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:15 PM   #580
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I'm about 15% (thank you Kindle, for going by percentages) into 1Q84. Actually I've been listening to the audiobook more than reading (haven't had as much time to sit down with a physical book but have had plenty of time in a car). I'm very intrigued by it. I'm not far enough in to know what the full plot will be, but I'm far enough along to be sucked into the intrigue...

Also reading Super Mario: How Nintendo Conquered America. It's really interesting. Also kind of odd to be reading it now, when Nintendo has had its worst year ever I believe...Also interesting to see how they felt, what they were trying to do when releasing the original Famicom and NES, and how that's changed for recent console and handheld releases.

/tk

Last edited by terpkristin : 11-26-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:18 AM   #581
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
I'm about 15% (thank you Kindle, for going by percentages) into 1Q84. Actually I've been listening to the audiobook more than reading (haven't had as much time to sit down with a physical book but have had plenty of time in a car). I'm very intrigued by it. I'm not far enough in to know what the full plot will be, but I'm far enough along to be sucked into the intrigue...
I am about 1/4 into this, and also quite intrigued. Not an absolute page-turner, but enough to get you "sucked in" as tk put it. There's a lot of backstory written about the two main characters in the story. Some of it I don't think is necessary, but it does add a bit of depth to the characters. Somehow I do get the feeling that the backstories will tie in later on with the main plot.

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 12-07-2011 at 11:20 AM.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:44 PM   #582
Groundhog
Coordinator

I've read a few things lately.

Wolf of the Plains - Conn Inggulden
Book 1 of his Genghis Khan series. I'd rate it as OK action-fueled historical fiction, a step below Bernard Cornwell's stuff IMO, although he's tackling a far more difficult time and people. Not sure that I'll read the rest of the series. This being the first thing I read after finishing the 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series back-to-front problem didn't help its cause, either.

Dreamsongs Volume 2 - George R. R. Martin
I bought this solely for the Hedge Knight story - I was already missing Westeros! - but enjoyed a number of the stories in here. Didn't dig the Wild Cards stuff much, but gained an appreciation of Martin's versatility. The last story, Portraits of his Children, in particular was very disturbing and dark, and it's a shame that Doorways (which actually reminded me a little of Sliders - and after checking the Sliders wiki page it appears I'm not the only one) and his original script for Twilight Zone didn't pan out because I enjoyed reading both of them.

A Short History of Cambodia - John Tully
I was over there in early November and it piqued my interest. I've read up on the Khmer Rouge/Pol Pot era before, but everything before and after that is new to me, and this has been a very easy to read introduction so far - finished half the book in two hours. I'm currently up to the pre-Vietnam war era and it's a pretty fascinating, and sometimes infuriating, read.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:57 PM   #583
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I am about 1/4 into this, and also quite intrigued. Not an absolute page-turner, but enough to get you "sucked in" as tk put it. There's a lot of backstory written about the two main characters in the story. Some of it I don't think is necessary, but it does add a bit of depth to the characters. Somehow I do get the feeling that the backstories will tie in later on with the main plot.

Yeah, I'm about 37% now, maybe a little more. I really can't say much without spoiling it...but I like how the book is weaving its yarn...

/tk
Old 12-09-2011, 09:42 PM   #584
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brassmonkey32 View Post
I highly recommend Jack Reacher Novels by Lee Child.

You're about the fourth person who has recommended these, I'll have to stick them on the end of my list. It's a long list though...

Just finished Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy, and I really enjoyed it. A unique and interesting twist on magic with interesting characters and a very satisfying ending.

I also re-read Dune for the first time in over a decade, and was actually a bit disappointed. I still enjoyed it, but one of my favorite things to do while I read is watch the story unfold...and I am a big fan of intrigue and trying to figure things out before they happen. The snippets at the beginning of each chapter (that I don't at all remember from my prior reads) spelled pretty much the whole thing out before it happened.

Sitting at home, I have the latest Safehold book by David Weber, the latest Wheel of Time by Sanderson, Blood Meridian, Otherland and a bunch of others. I gotta catch up
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:07 AM   #585
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
A Short History of Cambodia - John Tully
I was over there in early November and it piqued my interest. I've read up on the Khmer Rouge/Pol Pot era before, but everything before and after that is new to me, and this has been a very easy to read introduction so far - finished half the book in two hours. I'm currently up to the pre-Vietnam war era and it's a pretty fascinating, and sometimes infuriating, read.

I´ve also read this one, a recommendation if you want to read sth else on the historical era :

Michael Coe - Cambodia and the Khmer Civilisation

I´ve just started reading The Species Seekers by Richard Conniff, so far absolutely fantastic. It´s basically an anecdotic history of the exploration of nature/animals and the naturalists involved in it, lots of interesting characters that are described and often more unknown ones (of course there´s also sth on Darwin, Russel and company)
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:27 AM   #586
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brassmonkey32 View Post
I highly recommend Jack Reacher Novels by Lee Child.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
You're about the fourth person who has recommended these, I'll have to stick them on the end of my list. It's a long list though...

I was one of the ones recommending these. Not going to say it's literature, of course, and really a lot of the stories have a certain formula. But they're interesting reads, and Reacher is a great character. Easy to burn through, too. I have read them all, except for the one that just came out (there are around 11-12 books now, I think).

Old 12-16-2011, 10:25 AM   #587
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Well it's close to the end of the year - what was your favorite book (or books) this year? For me I'd have to say it was Ready Player One - listening to the audiobook version of this book, read by Wil Wheaton, was just fantastic - really the most straight out fun I've had reading/listening to a book in a long time. I also really enjoyed The Drunkard's Walk: How Randomness Rules our Lives, and Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void. Great books all around.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:28 PM   #588
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine
Well it's close to the end of the year - what was your favorite book (or books) this year?

My Goodreads shelf for 2011 is here. Not yet on the list, though I'm hoping to finish them this year are:
1Q84 (reading in audio and Kindle formats)
Brisingr (listening to audio version, "re-listen" in advance of reading Inheritance)
Infinity Blade: Awakening (novella written by Brandon Sanderson and available in e-book format, this bridges the story between Infinity Blade and Infinity Blade 2 on iOS--I just found out about this last night while reading Game Informer; I'm really surprised that they got such a well-known author to write it)

As far as favorites...going by my GR ratings, they'd be:
The Night Circus
American Gods: The Tenth Anniversary Edition

These are the only books that I rated 5 stars that were not re-reads this year. I re-read a fair few books this year, as many series I've been following had new entries this year. That said, The Night Circus was actually released this year, and I really enjoyed it. I couldn't tell you much about what it's about without ruining some of the whimsy, but it was a book I listened to and didn't want to stop listening to. I found myself making excuses to drive longer distances (taking the super-scenic route to and from the grocery store) to get to listen to it more.

I also really enjoyed Ready Player One, even though it wasn't particularly well-written. It reminded me of my formative video game years and some music I grew up with. I also enjoyed the "soundtrack" that Cline posted on his blog.

I'm also really liking 1Q84, though I've found that I end up reading/listening to it in small doses (a few chapters at a time). It's a thinking book.

As far as books I read and didn't enjoy as much as I'd hoped, the first two books in The Dark Tower series really let me down. I had those books on my "to read" list for a long time, and after reading The Drawing of the Three, I just can't understand the hype. I gave up on the series. A number of the selections from my book club were also duds in my opinion this year. Reamde, Neal Stephenson's latest, is one. Reamde has moved Stephenson from my "must read" list to my "might read after reading reviews" list. A shame, really. Anathem and Reamde were complete letdowns (to me), though I adored The Baroque Cycle books and Crytonomicon. I also really loved The Diamond Age, it is a book I've read multiple times and still find new things in, each time I read it.

/tk
Old 12-18-2011, 02:59 AM   #589
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
My Goodreads shelf for 2011 is here. Not yet on the list, though I'm hoping to finish them this year are:
1Q84 (reading in audio and Kindle formats)
Brisingr (listening to audio version, "re-listen" in advance of reading Inheritance)
Infinity Blade: Awakening (novella written by Brandon Sanderson and available in e-book format, this bridges the story between Infinity Blade and Infinity Blade 2 on iOS--I just found out about this last night while reading Game Informer; I'm really surprised that they got such a well-known author to write it)

As far as favorites...going by my GR ratings, they'd be:
The Night Circus
American Gods: The Tenth Anniversary Edition

These are the only books that I rated 5 stars that were not re-reads this year. I re-read a fair few books this year, as many series I've been following had new entries this year. That said, The Night Circus was actually released this year, and I really enjoyed it. I couldn't tell you much about what it's about without ruining some of the whimsy, but it was a book I listened to and didn't want to stop listening to. I found myself making excuses to drive longer distances (taking the super-scenic route to and from the grocery store) to get to listen to it more.

I also really enjoyed Ready Player One, even though it wasn't particularly well-written. It reminded me of my formative video game years and some music I grew up with. I also enjoyed the "soundtrack" that Cline posted on his blog.

I'm also really liking 1Q84, though I've found that I end up reading/listening to it in small doses (a few chapters at a time). It's a thinking book.

As far as books I read and didn't enjoy as much as I'd hoped, the first two books in The Dark Tower series really let me down. I had those books on my "to read" list for a long time, and after reading The Drawing of the Three, I just can't understand the hype. I gave up on the series. A number of the selections from my book club were also duds in my opinion this year. Reamde, Neal Stephenson's latest, is one. Reamde has moved Stephenson from my "must read" list to my "might read after reading reviews" list. A shame, really. Anathem and Reamde were complete letdowns (to me), though I adored The Baroque Cycle books and Crytonomicon. I also really loved The Diamond Age, it is a book I've read multiple times and still find new things in, each time I read it.

/tk

Hmm, didn't know there was a 10 year edition of American Gods. Is it different somehow from the original?

I find your Stephenson comments interesting, as they conflict from mine. I have not read Reamde, but I found Anathem to be engrossing (although that one was difficult going down; I probably re-read it while reading it, if you know what I mean). I felt that the first book of The Baroque Cycle was pretty boring and never got any others in the series, and I loved Cryptonomicon.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 12-18-2011 at 03:00 AM.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:08 AM   #590
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Hmm, didn't know there was a 10 year edition of American Gods. Is it different somehow from the original?

I find your Stephenson comments interesting, as they conflict from mine. I have not read Reamde, but I found Anathem to be engrossing (although that one was difficult going down; I probably re-read it while reading it, if you know what I mean). I felt that the first book of The Baroque Cycle was pretty boring and never got any others in the series, and I loved Cryptonomicon.

Your comments on Stephenson are mine. Baroque Cycle I tried three times and never made it more than halfway through the first book. Just drivel. Cryptonomicon great. Anathem was interesting...very different to me.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:56 AM   #591
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

There are some extra bits ("12,000 additional words") and it is supposedly Gaiman's "preferred text." I guess that when he originally wrote it, they edited a bit out, and he wanted to put it back in. The 10-year edition in audio is a full-cast recording and is great.

Quote:

This doesn't surprise me at all. This is the way it tends to be with Stephenson, based on my book club's reactions. I was introduced to Stephenson as The Baroque Cycle books were starting to come out. Devoured Snow Crash and The Diamond Age. Moved a little more slowly through Cryptonomicon, then right into The Baroque Cycle books. I think it's understandable why I would love those, though...I have degrees in physics and engineering, enjoy historical fiction, and particularly like stories set in that era in England. It was like it was written for me.

Anathem was different. I liked the first half, where they're still at the university/monestary. The second bit, though, about everything after that, was a complete waste of paper and of my time. Non-sensical drivel that read like Stephenson wanted to sound smart without actually having any real ideas of what he was talking about.

Reamde was different yet again. I was sucked in by the concept of a MMORPG being used to parallel the real world. Yet, very quickly, it devolved into a completely predictable techno-thriller involving terrorists, running through China, the Philippines, and Canada, culminating in a standoff in the northern US (I'm drawing a blank on what state they were in...maybe Washington or Idaho). It was completely predictable yet entirely unbelievable. It was a joke. Stephenson should leave that type of story to Tom Clancy.

/tk
Old 12-20-2011, 07:37 AM   #592
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Has anyone read "Joe DiMaggio and the Last Magic Number in Sports" by Kostya Kennedy? I'm looking for a Xmas gift for my dad.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:12 PM   #593
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I read a lot of great new books this year. I'd probably have to give my personal nod to The Name of the Wind.

As I mentioned in the movies thread, I just finished Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. I enjoyed it a lot, although I struggled through the first several chapters. A combination of writing style, several characters being thrown at me and some nomenclature that was not very well explained made it tough to get into the flow of the book. I do believe this is somewhat by design, however, as it does a good job of getting the reader a little flustered and really ready to try to figure out "whodunit." I really enjoyed the book, and the fact that although I had a solid hunch by the time the reveal came, I was certainly not sure of myself was a nice touch.

Before that I read Sanderson's latest entry into the Wheel of Time, Towers of Midnight. I hadn't even realized it was released (edit: it came out in November of 2010, so I'm apparently way behind the times), but it was already in paperback form. I absolutely loved it, and thought it might have been even better than A Gathering Storm. He's doing a great job with the characters that Jordan created, and I've very much enjoyed what has been happening in almost every single story arc.

I'm now back to David Weber's Safehold saga with "How Firm a Foundation". Taking me a while to get back into it, it's quite a changeup from le Carre's spy novel.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 12-28-2011 at 08:14 PM.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:08 PM   #594
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I finally finished 1Q84. Generally, I liked it, but I thought there were points where it dragged on a bit, and some of the "draggy bits" ended up in unresolved (minor) stories, which kind of irritated me.

I'm glad I finished it, but I'm not sure if I'll read any more Murakami anytime soon.

/tk
Old 12-30-2011, 09:11 PM   #595
Izulde
Head Coach

I keep meaning to pick up 1Q84, as I love Murakami. He and Junot Diaz are probably my favorite contemporary authors.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:36 PM   #596
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

I am a big Stephen King fan, but truly haven't enjoyed some of his latest offerings. But the ideas around 11/22/63 had me curious enough to give it a try. Glad I did! This has quickly shot up to one of my favorites from him. It even had me angry at one particular plot twist, and misty-eyed at another. I can honestly say books rarely affect me that way... but this one did. I give this an enthusiastic recommendation. Note that there are no real horror elements that may have turned you way from him in the past. It is long, but well worth the trip!
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:30 PM   #597
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
I am a big Stephen King fan, but truly haven't enjoyed some of his latest offerings. But the ideas around 11/22/63 had me curious enough to give it a try. Glad I did! This has quickly shot up to one of my favorites from him. It even had me angry at one particular plot twist, and misty-eyed at another. I can honestly say books rarely affect me that way... but this one did. I give this an enthusiastic recommendation. Note that there are no real horror elements that may have turned you way from him in the past. It is long, but well worth the trip!

Agreed. I haven't read much of King (not sure why), but his latest was excellent.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:32 AM   #598
spleen1015
Coordinator

I finished the Walter Payton book last night.

I didn't get to see him play much because I wasn't old enough to really appreciate the way he played. My feelings on him are based on everything that I heard everyone else say and everyone has always had a very high opinion of him. Hell, the NFL's Man of the Year award is named after him.

I knew going in that the book was going to reveal details of his life that weren't really public knowledge and it wasn't going to shed a very good light on him. I remember the day he announced that he had the liver condition and the press conference. I remember the first question he was asked was "Are you scared?" and he responded "Hell yeah, I'm scared. Wouldn't you be?" The sound of his voice when he answered I will never forget. I also remember where I was when I heard he died. It has always been something that really mad me sad.

Before I read the book, I thought it was going to change my view and opinion on him. Well, it hasn't. If anything, I think it has made me even more sad. The guy obviously had some issues that he need professional help with. Reading the account of his life living through his illness was very powerful for me. It is really, really sad.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:47 AM   #599
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

I can comment on a few books that people have mentioned recently.

I finished 1Q84 which I thought was phenomenal in concept and well-done in practice. My complaints, while minor, are similar to TerpKristin's. I felt that there were still some resolution issues with side characters. I enjoyed the way the narrative was constructed but I do feel that a bit more depth could have been added had one or two other characters had a couple of their own chapters. On the flip side, I certainly felt at times that the book was unnecessarily slow. Overall, a good read.

11/22/63 is another book with a terrific idea. One of King's best original ideas IMO. I can be hit or miss with King, for instance I love The Stand (even the unedited version) and the Different Seasons novellas but some of his other stuff (particularly the Bachmann books) are beyond me. And, for some reason, I'm having trouble getting into The Dark Tower series. I felt that 11/22/63 was a terrific read and truly shows his abilities as a writer. He crafts impressively vivid and tangible worlds and it shows here. There is some great irony/humor at the heart of this work and I certainly recommend it. It may also be a book that could've been 50-100 pages shorter but I can't imagine what could be cut.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:51 AM   #600
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

I also just finished Karl Marlantes' What it is Like to Go to War, which is his follow-up to the acclaimed Matterhorn. I thought Matterhorn was a good book, although I'm still particularly partial to O'Brien's works as well as Dispatches and A Rumor of War (and maybe a few others).

I thought that Marlantes' latest book gives a lot of insight into the Warrior mentality (think along the lines of Achilles in Vietnam and Odysseus in America). It is something that I'm tempted to have my 17/18 year old future military students read simply because I found it to be very unbiased and realistic in its approach. I think for many it'll serve as an eye-opener and for others an affirmation of their beliefs.