Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-30-2004, 03:52 PM   #1
3ric
College Starter

FM 2005:The United experience - now in Cardiff

Let's see if I have the patience to get a good FM2005 dynasty going.

We start the new season the 12th of July, 2005. This is a fictional universe with Sheff Utd just having survived a disappointing 15th place in the Championship, formerly the First Division. At mid-season, the board was giving me the dreaded "vote of confidence", but with a strong showing in the final half, they now appear satified with my managerial performance.

However, I've recently caused an uproar among the supporters by selling off my highest valued player, midfielder Sean Clarke, to Premier League team Portsmouth. The fan base are still moaning about that Clarke was let go for such a low price as £1 mil. He was only 22, and rated as one of the clubs' coming stars. But he came with a price as well as he easily had the top salary of the club with £37,000 a month, and his sale allowed us to get within the wage budget for the coming season.

With that introduction, we'll take a look at the team:

Keepers
Starter:James Morris
James was victimized last season by a weak defense, and conceded 65 goals in 43 outings, and had 8 clean sheets. The 25-yr old have questionable decisionmaking at times but is very good in the air.

Backup: Ross Watson
Ross is 26, has 3 caps for Scotland, and will be given more playing time this season as he got only 7 games under his belt the past season. Ross is less agile but is brave and strong.

Defenders
DL: John Sullivan.
Transfer listed 26-yr old who's lacking in the passing game. Requested transfer to help his development.

DR: Matt Wright.
Talented teen who started 29 games last season. Hard tackler but lacks stamina.

DC: Jamie Jackson.
Another teenager, who came from West Ham in an exchange last season. Has great positioning and acceleration.

DC: Jason Walker.
Malcontent 24-yr old who's out of favor with management. Good header of balls but isn't working well with team mates.

Backups:
DR Tony Francis. Came from Gillingham on free transfer this season. Tends to lose his marker but is a sure passer.

DRC Alan O'Connor. 19-yr old Irishman with a great first touch but can't pass or cross the ball.

D/DM L Mark Grima. 30-yr old Maltese that came from Cardiff in a £35K transfer. Well-rounded veteran without glaring weaknesses or outstanding abilities. Six caps for Malta.

We'll take a look around for another central defender before the season starts in earnest.

Midfielders
ML: Andrew Blake.
24-yr old with 3 U21 caps for England. Was selected to the Championship Select team the past season, and was the 04/05 Supporters' Player of the year.

MR: David Wildish.
Great dribbler who scored five goals and had 8 assists. The 23-yr old is a bit one-sided though as his defensively work could be better.

MC: Nuno Almeida.
Portuguese with attacking mindset who has lost confidence in his manager and has requested a transfer. Scored 9 goals last season after signing on a free transfer. Three caps for Portugal.

MC: Derek Quinn.
20-yr old from Ireland that is a huge talent but was unable to perform during much of the first half of last season. Played in the reserves before being called up again and won back a starting spot.

Backups:
MC Peter Kavanagh. Superb crossing ability and has a lot of stamina. Could do with better marking and heading ability.

AMC John Singh. 30-yr old new signing from Everton in the PL. Will be given every chance to replace Nuno in the starting lineup.

A cheap backup to Wildish on the right side is probably necessary.

Forwards
FC: Ray Carter. Creative forward who scored 18 goals last season.

FC: Jamie Sanderson. Has three U21 caps for Scotland and has scored 13 goals for Sheff Utd. Complements Carter well but could be replaced.

Backups:
SC Mark McLean. The most capped player on the squad with 13 games for Scotland. 32-yr old who scored 8 goals for Leicester last season.

SC Mike Bates. Best finisher of the forwards with great dribbling skills, but the 22-yr old is probably only the 4th attacker on the team.

Last edited by 3ric : 01-09-2005 at 11:24 AM.
3ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 03:52 PM   #2
3ric
College Starter

July 2005

We start the new season with the first of five friendlies as we welcome Scottish side Aberdeen to Bramall Lane. Also in the squad are D/M C Daniel Bentham, M RC Darren Brown and M RLC Remzi Kukukkoc from the reserves. David Wildish is chosen as captain. The first half ends 0-0 with a slight advantage to the visitors. The entire starting eleven is substituted at halftime and we take a lead when Mike Bates takes a shot which is deflected at the keeper and bounces into the empty net off defender McRae. A bit undeserved, but Aberdeen's Kevin McLaughlin ties the game with a mazy dribble on the left side before shooting into the far corner. Final score: 1-1.

In our next friendly three days later we are again hosts to a Scottish side, this time it is Dundee. We are resting Wildish (Darren Brown takes the MR position) and replace Nuno with John Singh and Jamie Sanderson with Mark McLean. Also, Peter Kavanagh is with the Irish U19 squad for a qualifying game against Romania and is replaced by Ben Reed from the reserves. Mark McLean is captain while Wildish is on the bench. We take a quick lead after Ray Carter beat the offside trap on a long ball and scores only six minutes into the game. We go up to 2-0 when Andrew Blake cuts inside and advances unchallenged before launching a long shot out of reach of the keeper. Things go worse for Dundee when their defender Craig Graham is shown a red card after a tough challenge. Wildish comes on when only 20 minutes are left but gets injured with only two minutes remaining and we finish the game with 10 men. Final score: 2-0.

Wildish was examined after the game and the physio found no worse than a strained wrist that'll keep him sidelined for a week. We'll take in a player on loan to provide depth.

For the next friendly we are visiting League Two side Bristol Rovers. Kavanagh is still away, so we call up reserve players Mark Bates and Gary Clark. Rovers are causing us a little trouble before Andrew Blake breaks into the box from the left and feeds Mark McLean, who scored on a simple tap-in. Mike Bates make it 2-0 in the 81st minute on a volley shot from inside the penalty area. Rovers get a consolation goal off a corner in extra time. Final score: 2-1.

Defender Jamie Jackson injured his right heel during the game and will be out for about five days.

We approach Bolton Wanderers with an enquiry for their Spanish right midfielder Sergio. he reply that a transfer sum of £45K will be sufficient. That's a fair price, and we accept the demand.

My personal assistant tells me that shortlisted defender Colin Quinn of Plymouth can leave on the Bosman rule in six months. I approach him with a contract offer of £5,750 a month. Plymouth would have to be compensated with £220K, but he'd be worth that.

We also open contract discussion with midfielder Sergio. My assistant manager doesn't think he's worthwhile, but he comes cheap - only £900 a month. If he works out at that price - great.

We're up again for a game - Woking of League Two. Kavanagh and Wildish are still unavailable, which means the exact same lineup as last game. The heavy schedule is taking a toll - we come out flat and get behind 0-1 after only two minutes. Our own Derek Quinn tie the score at 1-1 before Woking's Dean Burke score a brace in the 43rd and 55th minute. Insult is added to injury when Woking gets a penalty that Michael Clarke successfully converts. Final score: 1-4. Andrew Blake was our best player today, but even he couldn't do everything.

We agree on terms with young defender Colin Quinn, who's leaving Plymouth immediately. The news of the signing of Quinn caused a mixed reaction among United supporters. To quote: "for gambling on a player whom they believe could disrupt the harmony at Bramall Lane". Hmm.

Sheff Utd also confirm the deal that will take Bolton right midfielder Sergio to Sheffield. He's 21 years old, and very solid defensively. We've had a loan offer accepted by Tottenham, but the player, Martin Lewis, refused the assignment, that doesn't matter now when we have Sergio.

Back at home the 26th of July, we welcome Premier League side Newcastle to Bramall Lane. Kavanagh and newcomer Colin Quinn haven't returned from the trip with Ireland U19 team that pitted them against the Czech Republic and Spain. Wildish is back in the lineup and Sergio starts on the bench. We get off to a great start when Blake beats the defender and crosses into the box to Wildish who scored easily. But in the second half Newcastle turned up the effort a bit and scored twice through Maurizio Donato and Tim Akkermans. Final score: 1-2.

Along the way I take the time to compliment Newcastle's manager Wayne Davis - we have a friendly relationship from his days as manager of Leicester, also in the Championship. Davis return the compliment in an interview with the website bbc.co.uk the following day.
Defender Jamie Jackson was so impressed by the positive comments that he now feels that our team is destined for success under my guidance. Nice!

Our last friendly before the competitive games start next month is away at Stockport. We drop Bentham and Reed from the squad in favor of Kavanagh and Colin Quinn, who's with the team for the first time. Midfield star Blake continues his excellent pre-season form by scoring on a long-range effort only a couple of minutes into the game. Blake was the architect behind the second goal as he found McLean with a through ball after the striker drifted wide to the left. McLean then crossed into the box to John Singh who had filled the empty space in the middle, and could volley the ball home. Classic teamwork to pull apart the defensive line! Stockport's José Luis pulled one back in the 52nd minute before Peter Kavanagh put the finishing touch on the Sheffield win with a third goal for our side. Final score: 3-1.

Top performers:
ML Andrew Blake - in six games he has an average rating of 8.00 with 2 goals and three assists.
GK Ross Watson - in five games he had one clean sheet and only four goals conceded with a average rating of 7.20.
AMC John Singh - a 7.17 rating over six games where he completed 81% of his passes and had an average of 5.73 succesful tackles a game tells us that he should be a nice two-way player to have in the middle.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:53 PM   #3
3ric
College Starter

August 2005

The bookmakers has announced the odds for the coming season: Leeds Utd are favorites at 6-4, and the closest contenders are priced at: Southampton at 2-1, Fulham 2-1, West Ham 2-1, QPR 3-1, and Norwich 6-1. We are priced at 50-1 which means the bookies think that relegation is a possibility in what should be a long, hard season. We'll see about that.

In the draw for the League Cup we get to face Nottingham Forest, also in the Championship, in the first round. That game is played at their ground, and instantly gets picked for live TV coverage.

It's August 6th and time for league kick off! We'll play hosts to Ipswich today, and we are favored in this game at least. Watson starts in goal behind defenders Sullivan, C. Quinn, Jackson and Francis. That's a very young defense, even with Sullivan the oldest at 26 yrs, the back four average 20.25 in age. Midfielders are Blake, Singh, D. Quinn and Wildish. Finally, the two strikers are Carter and Bates, as McLean is unavailable with a damaged shoulder suffered in training.

We start out at a brisk pace and rack up the chances in quick succession. But the shots all seem to trickle outside the post and I start to worry when Jamie Jackson suddenly score on a corner in the 79th minute. That was his first ever goal for the club! We pull Blake, who's tired, for Kavanagh and move Derek Quinn out to the left and start to protect the lead. We get in trouble in the 91st minute as Francis is caught out of position and Ipswich counter attack. We are saved when Jackson slides in for a timely intervention just outside the box. Final score: 1-0.

Preseason favorite Leeds fall 1-3 to Forest, and Soton are also beaten, 2-4, by Wolves. Fulham draw West Ham 1-1, Norwich lose 2-3 to Watford and only QPR survive the first round by beating Preston 3-1.

Man U trash Boro in the Community Shield, 3-0.

We get an offer for a player - it's the Spurs who want Andrew Blake. They are prepared to pay us £1.9 mil with a 10% next sale clause. I don't want to sell, but you know how it is - if you turn them down then you risk that Blake is getting pissed he's not getting to play in the Big Show. I try to pry out some extra quid for the deal - a £2.5 mil sum together with a 20% next sale clause for Tottenham to consider.

We quickly scour the market for free agent midfielders and find three with international experience: Serbian AM/F RLC Dragan Radulovic, AM/F RLC Julien Rogeau from Cyprus (!) and Latvian M L Kristaps Grosbahs. Rogeau is probably the better all-around player, although Radulovic has incredible technique. Grosbahs' physical ratings isn't that great, but he's better than Rogeau in several important technical categories.

Our next game in the Championship is away at Vicarage Road, Watford. We are favored again, despite Watford's win against the Canaries in the opener. Wildish is tired which means Sergio gets to make his debut. McLean is feeling better in his shoulder and replace Bates in the starting eleven. What a disaster! Peter Shulaev scores in the fifth minute, 0-1, Watford. Then Peter "Spidey" Parker bags two in 8 minutes to make it 0-3 after 20 minutes. Adam Heder add a fourth after 36 minutes and we try to pull a shred of dignity out of this. Sergio is pulled at halftime to make way for Nuno. Inexplicably, Nuno fares even worse than the man he replaced. Final score: 0-4.

The board requests a private meeting and tells me, in no uncertain terms, what they thought of the team effort in Watford. Ouch.

Manchester City offer a contract to one of the free agents, Radulovic. Tottenham withdraw their bid for Blake. He still appear to be happy playing for Sheff Utd. Middlesbrough also approach Radulovic with a bid.

Leicester calls and repeat the Spurs' bid for Blake - £1.9 mil. I counter with requesting £2.4 mil.

We make wholesale changes for the next away game at Gillingham, but remain favored at even money. James Morris does his first game as the starting keeper, and makes a quality save early. Then Andrew Blake does a magic number by beating his man, moving into the box and shooting into the far corner. 1-0, Sheffield! After 68 minutes we substitute Blake for Grima and Wildish for Kavanagh (Quinn moves to the right). Gillingham tie the score four minutes later despite our defensive efforts. We pile on the pressure but have to settle for a draw. Final score: 1-1.

Leicester also withdraw their bid for Blake, and we finalize a deal with the Cypriote midfielder, Rogeau. He'll provide a good backup if Sergio really is such a dud.

David Wildish and Andrew Blake were selected in the Championship team of the week. Dragan Radulovic reject our contract offer, and we withdraw the offer to Grosbahs.

Aston Villa offer £1.4 mil plus forward Phil Richardson for Blake. Richardson isn't someone I'm interested in having, so I request cash only - £2.4 mil.

I transfer list defender Steven Brown, currently in the reserves, when he told media he was unhappy with not being in the first team. The truth is that he isn't good enough.

It's the 20th of August, and our game today is at home vs Fulham, currently placed 13th, five spots ahead of us. Bates replace McLean in the lineup and will partner Sanderson up front - those two have performed very well this far. Young Colin Quinn is benched and Matt Wright takes his place. Newcomer Julien Rogeau dons the kit for the first time and sits with the substitutes. Wright gets the team off to a flying start by heading in a Wildish corner after only five minutes. Rogeau makes his debut when he comes in for Wildish with 20 minutes remaining and us still leading by one. But cruelly, we get a penalty with three minutes to go when O'Connor is judged to have been holding an opponent's shirt. Fulham equalizes and we make our last substitution when Kavanagh goes in instead of a tired Derek Quinn. We push forward with everything and get an opportunity when Blake make a run into the box, Bates jumps with their keeper, who fist the ball away, it bounces out to Kavanagh, who shoots it on half volley inside the right post. Woo-hoo! Final score: 2-1.

The win somersaults us up in the standings, all the way to 7th place.

Tottenham make a second bid for Blake, but this time they lower the sum to £1.8 mil. What gives? I repeat my demand for £2.5 mil. Meanwhile, Blake is still happy about the situation. What a trooper! But Aston Villa re-enters the bidding - they have accepted my earlier £2.4 mil demand. After much hemming and hawing, I reluctantly accept the bid.

The first round in the League Cup is upon us, and we travel to Nottingham to play the Nottingham Forest, currently 2nd in the Championship. Forest start the scoring in the 37th minute, but Sanderson equalize after a quick counter attack. We are defending ourselves, but are pretty much outclassed. They have 25 shots in total, 7 on target, and get another goal in the second half. We sub three guys and go for the attack, but several others are tired and we can't threaten. Final score: 1-2.

Defender Jason Walker hurt a shoulder in the game and will be out of training for about five days. Our young Irishmen are called up to the Ireland U21 squad: Peter Kavanagh, Derek and Colin Quinn. They'll face France on September 6th.

We lick our wounds and travel to Wales and Cardiff to make them pay for our loss in the League Cup. We are resting Wildish, Rogeau gets his first start. We get unlucky when midfielder Paul Walsh score on a long shot in the 29th minute, prompting us to go more forward. That doesn't help - they score twice in a two-minute span during the second half. Final score: 0-3.

The media question time: Andrew Blake has been attracting a fair amount of interest following his recent performances. Do I think he'll stay? My response is that he's really proving himself to be a quality player. It'll be difficult to keep hold of him.

On the 29th, it's official: Blake leaves Sheffield Utd for the Premiership and Aston Villa. He's excited to get the chance to play in the UEFA cup as well.

We take the rest of the team and prepare for our home game vs Reading, currently at 17th place in the Championship. Derek Quinn take the vacant left side, David Wildish return to the right side and Peter Kavanagh goes in the middle. We take the lead after 25 minutes when Derek Quinn cuts in from the left and crosses over to Singh, who shoots from just outside the box. The ball deflects on Carter and into the goal. 1-0, Sheff Utd. Reading tie the score on a corner kick just before halftime. Early in the second half, we get a man short as Derek Quinn pick up a second yellow card and is sent off. We pull McLean and go for a 4-4-1 with Grima on the left side. Then we get four minutes of magical stuff from our other flanker, David Wildish. First he goes on a twisting run down to the touchline before he cuts inside and feeds Carter, who can poke the ball home for his second goal. We pull away to 3-1 shortly afterwards when Wildish is dribbling through the entire defense and beats the keeper with a low shot. Great play! When Reading is pushing for goals, we catch them unawares as Grima leads a breakaway on the left side. He spots Wildish in the open on the other side and crosses the ball for the midfielder to volley into goal. 4-1, Sheff Utd! Reading get lucky on a long ball where Jackson did too little to prevent a long shot from beating Morris. Final score: 4-2.

With the money from the Blake transfer, we can start looking at candidates for strengthening the midfield. We promote DMC Ben Reed from the reserves, he's been playing really well for them. Then we put in some trial offers to free agents, make some enquiries, and put forward a few offers to see if we can get any takers. It's a bit urgent though - the transfer deadline is today.

We find out that Ipswich are prepared to sell John Sullivan for £35K. He's young and talented, so we take it. Sullivan only asks for £3700 a month, and we sign the papers in quick order. A trialist comes in - DM RLC Kevin Collins, 31. He's adequate, but not really what we are looking for. Neither was Sullivan, actually, but I am keen on hoarding talented 17-yr old players anyway.

AMC Gianluca Marino comes to Bramall Lane for a visit - and he's really good. He's been with Empoli in the Italian Serie B, but left the team after one game. He asks for a wage of £65,000 a month - no wonder he's unemployed. Mark Lee, my assistant manager, says we can afford to offer him a £29,000 salary, but that's it. Marino rejects our offer but we can sign 19-yr old Norwegian defender Björn Audun Mathisen, who's been playing for the Newcastle reserves.

From our reserves game vs Wrexham reserves, we get the good news that our unhappy Portuguese, Nuno, had been very impressive in a 3-1 win.

Top performers:
PkdInfNamePositionMoraleFormConAppsGlsAv Rat
MR

David WildishAM/F RCSuperb8-7-8-7-986%5 (1)27.83
DLWntJon SullivanD/DM RLOkay8-7-8-7-792%7-7.29
DC

Matt WrightD/DM RCSuperb7-8-7-7-791%417.25
MLSusDerek QuinnM LCSuperb7-7-8-7-790%7-7.14

English Championship table:
1stWigan4-1-1+513
2nd

West Ham4-1-1+513
3rdPreston3-2-1+411
---

9thSheff Utd3-1-2-310
---
23rdSouthampton1-1-4-34
24thRotherham0-2-4-82

Last edited by 3ric : 12-01-2004 at 06:06 AM.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:41 PM   #4
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Nice. I'll be reading
Old 12-02-2004, 10:36 AM   #5
3ric
College Starter

September 2005

The transfer deadline passes, but we find out that we can still sign and purchase players domestically since we're out of the top division.

The board announces that they actually are pleased with my managerial performance, nice to see that. We've been playing badly in patches, but at other times we've performed quite well.

David Wildish is first runner-up in the voting for Championship Player of the Month, behind Bristol City's Simon Kelly. Also, an Andrew Blake goal (vs Gillingham) is voted third in the "Goal of the Month" competition.

Mark Grima, our backup at left defender, did play in the World Cup qualifications game against Hungary, losing 0-2. Malta is dead last in their group with eight losses and a -17 goal difference.

Plymouth Argyle offers me £90K for backup DMC Ben Reed. He's transfer listed by request and has stated he's looking forward to leave the club - I'm not going to stand in his way.

David Wildish was selected in the Championship Team of the Week. We sign AM LC Graeme Berry from Wolverhampton. He gets a high salary - £29K - but hopefully he'll be worth it as he provides necessary competition at two midfield spots.

With that signing, I think we're set for now. Meanwhile, we get reports from the international game between Ireland U21 and France U21 where our boy Peter Kavanagh scored the second goal in a 3-0 win.

In the second round of internationals, we have players featuring in both the Cyprus-Switzerland game and the Malta-Croatia game. Both Julien Rogeau and Mark Grima are on the losing sides, however, with Cyprus actually scoring once in the 1-2 loss. Malta lost with a single goal and couldn't tie despite playing with a numerical advantage in 59 minutes.

Reed agrees on contract terms with Plymouth and we send him on his merry way. They make a big deal out of that he did play for the England U21 team - once. Bwahaha.

The break for international games is over, and we're back to the regular schedule. First up is the Wolverhampton Wanderers, i.e. Wolves. They are second to last in the Championship and we're in 10th. The squad is pretty much injury free, but Derek Quinn is suspended which means that Berry gets to play against his former club in his debut. Should be interesting. We get off to a good start when Sanderson scores on a rebound from a shot by Wildish after four minutes. Wolves tie the score on a corner in the 17th minute. We take the lead again through Wildish, who pick up the ball in their penalty area and do some dizzying twists and turns before shooting inside the far post. 2-1, Sheffield! Left defender Sullivan gets injured in the 57th minute and is replaced by left defensive midfielder Sullivan - no, not that one, it's John Sullivan, not Jon. This is going to be confusing. We already have a couple of Quinn's. Then Peter Kavanagh gets sent off after his second booking in the game and we pull people back to defend the lead. That doesn't help - Wolves score again in the 78th minute. Final score: 2-2.

Kavanagh will be suspended for one game following the red card in the game. Wildish and Sullivan picked up some minor injuries, but neither are going to miss more than a couple of days' training.

Next game is at home vs 19th-placed Peterborough, Derek Quinn returns and takes Kavanagh's place in the middle while Berry stays on the left after a solid first game. Wildish isn't fully recovered, so Rogeau gets another chance at the right flank. Peterborough's Garner is talking himself to a second booking after only 14 minutes, but without Wildish, we lack that one player who's able to create goal scoring opportunities against a committed defense. Final score: 0-0.

The manager of Nottingham Forest, Barry Dunne, tells the local media that his team will go "all out to win" in the upcoming game against us, Sheffield Utd. "There's nothing more satisfactory than getting a good result over your rivals", Dunne said. Grr! I respond that we're not seeing eye to eye, and it wouldn't exactly hurt me to see Forest underachieve this season.

Wildish is back, and we're going to need him in the away game at Nottingham. They are 4th in the Championship and whipped us good in the League Cup earlier this season. We take the lead after 15 minutes when Sanderson runs in space to receive a long pass and set up a goal by McLean, who arrives in time to fire home the crossed ball. Then Wildish makes a run to the right to create a shot which their keeper saves, only to deflect it into the path of McLean, who scores his second goal of the game. Forest fight back and reduce the deficit to 2-1 before halftime. In the second half, we go ahead 3-1 on a deep run by Bates, who's drawing defenders upon himself before passing sideways to an open Graeme Berry who can calmly strike the ball into the net. A dead tired Wildish is substituted five minutes before time. Final score: 3-1.

Following this win, our chairman Richard Brown declared himself extremely pleased with the result. We have had a nice run lately and have started the season better than many would have expected.

In the international call-ups, the usual Irish youth contingent is selected as well as Scotland U21's Stuart Johnstone from the reserves.

We're currently 8th in the Championship, and will face QPR away, a team ranked 16th in the division. Wildish gets some rest again, and so does defender Wright. Our newly signed Norwegian, Mathisen, will get his first start in his stead. We are unlucky and get behind after only two minutes, but tie the score early in the second half when Rogeau finds Sanderson with a long ball down on the right flank. The striker can collect the ball, turn, and score on a lobbed shot from the edge of the area. Sanderson shows his ability to run into space when he receives a pass and bravely runs at two defenders into the box. He's fouled, the referee whistles for a penalty, which Mathisen converts for a score and 2-1, Sheffield! Mathisen was one of the best players on the pitch together with Berry - those two signings really looks like they are going to pay off. Final score: 2-1.

Top performers:
Pkd Inf Name Position Morale Form Con Apps Gls Av Rat
-
David Wildish AM/F RC Superb 8-7-9-10-7 97% 7 (1) 3 8.00
MC
Graeme Berry AM LC Superb 7-8-8-8 93% 4 1 7.75
DL Wnt Jon Sullivan D/DM RL Very Good 7-7-7-8-7 95% 11 - 7.27
S3
Derek Quinn M LC Superb 7-7-7-7-8 99% 9 - 7.22

Championship standings:
1st
West Ham
6-1-3+519
2nd

Nottm Forest
5-3-2+518
3rd
Preston5-3-2+518
---

6th
Sheff Utd5-3-2+0
---

23rd
Leeds
2-3-5-79
24th
Rotherham1-3-6-96

Last edited by 3ric : 12-02-2004 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-04-2004, 05:42 AM   #6
3ric
College Starter

October 2005

The board announces they are pleased with my performance as manager. Supporters and the media appears also to think I'm doing well at the moment, as I end up third in the voting of Manager of the Month.

Preston North End calls and makes an offer of £1.1 mil for left defender Jon Sullivan. He has been unsettled for quite some time now, although he's been playing very well. I decide to cash in on him as I have a suitable replacement ready.

We play last-place Rotherham at home, and let Mark Grima in on Sullivan's spot. Wildish is back, Quinn and Kavanagh in the middle and Berry to the left in midfield. We win quite comfortably after adjusting to the intensity level that Rotherham brought to the game. Grima had to be substituted for Jackson when his lack of match practice drove him to the brink of exhaustion. Goals by Berry, Sanderson and Wildish. Final score: 3-1.

For the Championship Team of the Week we get two Sheff Utd players selected: Graeme Berry and David Wildish.

Sullivan agrees on terms with Preston and we complete the transfer, and gets a tidy sum of money for someone we felt was easily replaced.

The unhappy Portuguese, Nuno, was reported as absent from training today. This isn't the first time that happens, and he's been fined several weeks' worth of pay. Mostly he's been apologizing about it when I fine him, but soon he's AWOL again. What a headcase.

No sooner has Nuno been complaining about the unfairness of the latest fine, then the next guy is taking a day off - Grima is getting an official warning since it was his first breach of team rules. Grima apologizes and promises to improve his behaviour in the future.

The international round-up reveals that Cyprus took a convincing 3-1 win over Ireland, with Julien Rogeau playing the entire game. An interesting fact is that the three-goal scorer for Cyprus is Serie A and Inter Milan forward Andreas Pavlou, valued an astonishing £11.5 million. He has scored 4 goals in 7 games for Inter. Mathisen was very good in Norway's 4-0 win over Moldova, and a lot of media pundits came away impressed from the game.

Another home game, this time against Millwall. We had a clear advantage in the first half but the visitors showed efficiency by taking the lead on one of the few shots on goal they managed. We are still behind by one goal when only 10 minutes are remaining, and we put in Mike Bates for a defender and play with three forwards up front. The gamble pay off as Sanderson equalize in the 91st minute. Final score: 1-1.

McLean is going to miss about a week's worth of training after picking up an knee injury. Now Nuno is absent from training AGAIN. That's the second time this month. I fine him two week's worth of wages of unprofessional behaviour.

Nuno accepts the fine and promises to do better. I take a look at his ratings from his play in the reserves - he's fully fit and has performed well when his head's in it. I decide to promote him to the senior squad to see if he can work his way into the team once more.

At Norwich, we get behind early as they score on a freekick after five minutes. Derek Quinn equalize 10 minutes later after a nice run into the box. Sanderson heads in a cross from Bates on the left to make it 2-1 and just before halftime we get a third goal as Wildish scores on a cross from Berry. The Canaries reduce the deficit to 3-2 as GK Morris misjudges a high ball and lets the pass reach John Lloyd behind him. Then Norwich tie the score at 3-3 thanks to some indifferent defending. We throw in Carter instead of Sanderson the final 10 minutes and push forward, but with no result. Final score: 3-3.

In the championship team of the week, we have no less than three Sheffield United players: Wildish (who's never been out of that team so far), Sanderson and Berry.

Ipswich are making an offer of £100K for Nuno, and I accept, happy to be able to get rid of that troublemaker. He accepts their terms and is on his way.

Injury troubles - defender Alan O'Connor strained knee ligaments during training and will be out for a month.

We're up against Barnsley - currently in 24th and last place in the Championship. With McLean not fully fit and Bates injured we're forced to use Martin Pinnington from the reserves at backup striker. Sanderson scores in the 25th minute for a 1-0 lead, and five minutes later we make the first substitution as defender Mathisen get injured - Jamie Jackson replaces him. Graeme Berry makes it 2-0 five minutes into the second half. Final score: 2-0.

Mathisen will miss about three weeks with a back injury suffered in the game. Luckily we're well insured with good defenders, but we've been exposed with a lack of quality strikers in the reserve squad. I quickly scour the scouting reports and send out people to find a couple of young forwards to sign.

Top performers:
MR
David Wildish AM/F RC Superb 7-9-8-8-8 93% 11 (1) 5 8.08
ML PR Graeme Berry AM LC Superb 8-8-7-8-8 93% 8 3 7.75
FC Wnt Jamie Sanderson F RC Superb 7-7-7-9-8 84% 12 7 7.33
MC
Derek Quinn M LC Superb 6-8-8-7-7 92% 13 1 7.31

Championship standings:
1st
Wigan9-2-3+929
2nd
Ipswich
9-1-4+1028
3rd
Preston8-3-3+927
---

4th'
Sheff Utd7-5-2+4
---

23rd
Rotherham 3-3-8-1012
24th
Barnsley
2-4-8-1210
Old 12-05-2004, 07:34 AM   #7
3ric
College Starter

November 2005

The board announces that they are very pleased with my performance as manager. That's quite a reversal of fortune from just nine months earlier, when I was in dire danger of being fired!

The Championship Player of the Month is Sheffield Utd right winger David Wildish, with fellow Blades striker Jamie Sanderson coming in third. Derek Quinn's goal against Norwich was first runner-up for the Championship Goal of the Month award.

We sign our first young striker - Mark Kemp from Wigan. He accepted our contract offer and will join the team on January 3rd. The next day we are closing the deal on Adam Wilkinson from Bournemouth.

Wilkinson is 16 years old, very fast and a lethal finisher. On the negative side, he's a little weak and need to work on his technique. Kemp is 17 and a huge talent, I can see him getting some playing time as a sub in the Championship this season already. He has scored 13 goals in 13 games for the Wigan reserves.

Away at Leeds, we rest Sanderson and start Jamie Jackson in central defence. Watson get his second straight start at keeper after a strong showing against Barnsley. Leeds shocks us with a quick tempo from the beginning, creating lots of chances that keeper Watson has his work cut out to prevent. After only three minutes he has had to collect a ball out of his own net, we try to counter that with greater intensity in tackles and hopefully we can wear them out in the long run. Their attack is fading in the end of the half and we get to create chances of our own. In the 32nd minute, Mike Bates chase a ball down the right side and pass it inside to Wildish who shoots instantly, getting a fluke of a strike into the far corner of the goal. 1-1! In the second half, Leeds take initiative once more and score twice. We make substitutions and change some things around to try to rally from behind, but to no avail - Leeds score a fourth goal towards the end. Final score: 1-4.

We loan out defender Steven Brown to Sheffield Wednesday for three months.

At home vs Coventry, Jamie Sanderson is back in the starting eleven, along with John Singh who plays instead of Kavanagh, who was dreadful against Leeds. The team clearly was determined to show that the last outing was an exception, and should not be repeated. We take a quick 3-0 lead before settling down and allowing one goal before scoring a fourth in the second half. Mark McLean had two goals today, with Berry and Sanderson one each. Final score: 4-1.

Wigan record their sixth straight league win and has a three-point lead in the standings. We have climbed to third place and chairman Richard Brown "couldn't hide his delight" over the result in the latest game.

On the injury front, keeper Morris injured his neck in training and will be out for a week. Mathisen is recovering well although O'Connor still has two weeks before he's ready. Good thing it's a bye week with international friendlies being played.

We're up against Southampton, relegated from the PL last season, and currently 8th in the Championship. We are missing a bunch of players to both injuries and internationals. We are able to scrape together a decent defensive line, but have to call up four players from the reserves to fill the bench. Rogeau starts at inside midfield with Singh. We take the lead on an own goal by the Saints' Russell, and then McLean takes advantage of a sloppy back pass and scores for a two-goal lead. Southampton gets on the scoresheet on a headed corner, but we score a third goal when right back Francis leads a breakaway that ends with Rogeau striking home the crossed ball. Wildish has to go out after 68 minutes and Remzi Kucukkoc replaces him. The home team score again on a corner to get within one goal. Their pressure is relentless towards the end, and Watson is forced to make a highlight-reel save to keep us in the clear. In the 92nd minute we are able to mount an attack where a Saints defender got a brain-fart and handled the ball, Ray Carter calmly converted the penalty kick. Final score: 4-2.

Striker McLean suffered a gashed leg in the game and will be out six days. However, our Norwegian defender, Mathisen, returns to full practice. In the Championship Team of the Week, keeper Watson makes a first appearence. He might have claimed that starting role for good now.

With only two days of rest, we are set to play Preston North End, 4th in the Championship. Mathisen, right defender Matt Wright and forward Mike Bates make starts today, and the bench is again filled with young reserves. After only 7 minutes the score is 1-1, with Mike Bates having tied our initial setback. Preston regain a lead in the 30th minute, and not much later we have to pull both Sanderson and Wildish as the heavy schedule has taken a toll on them. Preston's Morgan provide an impressive display of long-distance shooting as he scores his second goal of the game from 30 yards. The second half begin as badly as the first ended, with Preston's Downing scoring and setting us three goals down. We switch to an attacking style of play but this isn't our day. Final score: 1-4.

With both Derek Quinn and Kavanagh away for such long periods, it's clear we need another midfielder to relieve the youngsters of some responsibility. A young goalkeeper or two could be useful as well. Time for returning to the transfer market to see what's out there.

We get an offer from Barnsley for unhappy defender Jason Walker. He has admitted he don't like me and has no confidence in my abilities - a slightly stubborn stance as I've obviously improved things here during my tenure. Anyway, I accept the offer of £70K and leave Walker to come to terms with the club. At the same time, we put some ink on a paper to bring in a free agent goalie, 17-yr old Robert Kelly, who was brought in for trial and showed enough to merit a contract. We are also talking to Arsenal about a 22-yr old DMC from the Faroe Islands - he's out of luck with the Gunners but could do better in a lower division.

At home vs Bristol City, we can field a starting lineup that's closer to normalcy with Derek Quinn in the middle, and a bench with veteran players. We get a comfortable lead early and despite a conceded penalty kick the win never seemed in doubt. Goals by Wildish, Quinn and Grima. Final score: 3-1.

Jason Walker gets another suitor - it's Southampton who gets my leave to approach him for working out the personal details in a transfer that would give Sheff Utd £75K, if completed.

Top performers:
MR
David Wildish AM/F RC Superb 7-9-9-7-8 98% 16 (1) 7 8.06
ML Inj Graeme Berry AM LC Superb 7-10-8-7-7 95% 13 4 7.77
MC Wnt Derek Quinn M LC Superb 8-7-7-7-8 95% 16 2 7.25
FC
Jamie Sanderson F RC Very Good 8-8-7-5-7 95% 16 8 7.19

Championship standings:
1st
Wigan11-3-4+1036
2nd
Ipswich
11-2-5+1235
3rd
Plymouth10-5-4+935
---

4th'
Sheff Utd10-5-4+5
---

23rd
Cardiff 4-4-10-916
24th
Barnsley
3-4-11-1613
Old 12-07-2004, 03:25 PM   #8
3ric
College Starter

December 2005

A new month, a new appraisal of my managerial performance - the board are delighted with what I've done with the team and the club. We also get a 1-2 in the Championship Player of the Month award - Wildish wins it and Berry is the runner-up. Defender Jason Walker decides to join Barnsley and I finalize the deal.

We complete a deal that will take Arsenal's Thorvald Jacob Petersen, from the Faroe Islands, to Bramall Lane for £180K. He's 22 years old, and will fill a backup role to the interior midfield. Defender Alan O'Connor returns to full practice after being out for nearly a month.

At home vs Stoke, 14th in the Championship, we get the lead in the 25th minute when Sanderson drifts wide right and allows Wildish to get into space and strike home the crossed ball. At the end of the first half we get a second goal through McLean as Singh had left him with a wide open goal thanks to a superb pass across the box. Stoke gets one back in the second half as right back Francis was left alone with two attackers. We become a little worried when Stoke start putting on pressure, but a late goal by McLean puts us at ease. Final score: 3-1.

In the draw for the FA Cup Third round we get Millwall (also in the Championship) at home.

Away at Plymouth Argyle, 3rd in the division, we start well when Wildish leads a breakaway on the right before finding an open Ray Carter, who lobs the keeper from the edge of the box. 1-0, Sheffield! Plymouth's Alex Bailey equalizes in the 39th minute. Final score: 1-1.

Against West Ham at home, the visiting Hammers opens the scoring, but we reply with four goals (two by Ray Carter) before conceding another one. Graeme Berry and John Singh also scored. The win pushes us to second place in the standings. Final score: 4-2.

We have a situation in the squad with several of the younger players being unhappy with the expectations on them. Can't imagine why, unless it's because I overuse them or something?

Facing Wigan away, we see that they have fallen from their perch at the top of the table, being 5th in the standings as of now. Wildish open the scoring in the 6th minute, but Wright causes a penalty kick when he trips up the home team's dangerous striker Gustavo Gassenferth. Wigan's Fairhurst gets sent off for a foul on McLean, but we can't capitalize on the numerical advantage. Final score: 1-1.

Singh will be banned for one game after collecting a fifth booking.

In the next game vs no. 3 Ipswich we are treated to what could be the goal of the year, when David Wildish not only dribbles past two defenders, but also puts a move on the keeper before putting the ball into an empty net. Sanderson makes it 2-0 before Ipswich cuts into our lead by one. McLean scores a third goal for us before halftime. We put in new signee Thorvald Petersen in the middle for Rogeau as he had gotten a minor injury. Wildish goes out to get some rest, and suddenly Ipswich are back in it with a second goal. But Sanderson scores his second of the game and that's the game winner. Final score: 4-2.

Our chairman enters the post-game locker room and declares himself elated with the result, and tells us we've reached the top of the standings. That's right, Sheffield United are number one! Quote from the media: "The Blades continue to confound critics who predicted that the club would soon fall into mid-table obscurity. [...] , and fans remain absolutely ecstatic at the team's continuing good form."

I try out an interesting new feature of FM2005 - I place an advert for another scout. I'm told that I'll be informed of any interested applicants shortly. Cool!

At home vs Watford our winning streak comes to an end as we rest several starters. Three of them came on towards the end but despite having a 14-4 shot advantage we lost. Wildish made his 50th league appearance for Sheff Utd. Final score: 0-1.

We fall down in the table, back to third place, although in a three-way tie for the most points. Striker Mike Bates has picked up a one-game suspension following his booking in the last game.

My backup goalie, James Morris, is up for a contract renewal as his current deal expires in 6 months. He's cheap, so he'll get that extension even if he's easily replaced. Striker Ray Carter is also due for an extension, but as he demands £46,500 a month he's denied. Midfielder Derek Quinn, attacker Bates and starting keeper Watson are also getting new deals.

Top performances:
S4
David Wildish AM/F RC Very Good 8-8-9-9-8 96% 21 (2) 10 8.22
ML
Graeme Berry AM LC Superb 7-9-7-8-8 94% 19 5 7.74
-
Jamie Sanderson F RC Superb 7-5-7-7-8 98% 18 10 7.22
-
Derek Quinn M LC Superb 8-7-7-7-7 96% 20 2 7.20

Championship standings:
1st
Nottm Forest
13-7-5+1546
2nd
Preston
14-4-7+1245
---

3rd
Sheff Utd 13-7-5 +10 46
---

23rd
Cardiff
5-5-15 -17
24th
Barnsley
4-6-15-2018

Old 12-10-2004, 03:41 PM   #9
3ric
College Starter

January 2006

Quinn signs right away, which makes me very pleased - he's an important piece of the club's future, I believe.

Wildish wins Championship Player of the Month again - it's the third consecutive month he's received the award. Wildish also was runner-up in the Goal of the Month awards with the Wigan strike.

Mike Bates sign the two-year extension to his contract, and so does James Morris and Ross Watson, the goalkeepers. But we're set to lose young midfielder Remzi Kucukkoc as his work permit application was denied, thus preventing him to re-sign with us for another term. As he's Turkish he isn't applicable for the rules allowing EU players to work in the UK.

We play at home vs Gillingham, with Bates suspended for this game. Despite an attacking mindset and quite a few scoring chances we are held to a scoreless draw until Singh is called for pushing an opponent in our own area. Gillingham scores on the penalty kick and that's the game right there. Final score: 0-1.

Finally, our signing for young striker Mark Kemp goes though and he moves from Wigan to Sheffield Utd. He's really polished for such a young player.

At home again vs Millwall, we have to rest Singh and use Kavanagh instead, which nets an opening goal as he's on the receiving end of a Wildish cross to head in the ball from close range. Millwall ties the score when Grima committs a foul in the box, but Watson saves it. Derek Quinn scores on a corner, only to see it disallowed. Berry scores a beauty in the second half, but it too is disallowed when the linesman flags for offside. Fortunately, one goal is enough to see us through. Final score: 1-0.

In the FA Cup at home vs Millwall (again), we start Rogeau in the middle with Derek Quinn as Singh is still injured. The game is scoreless at halftime with an even amount of shots directed either way. A mistake in defense allows Millwall's Hunt to break into the box and beat the keeper with a low shot inside the post. Despite an all-out attacking mindset towards the end, we are knocked out of the Cup. Final score: 0-1.

I get a message that nine people have responded to my advert for a new scout. One of them, Darren Clarke from Stockport, is very good and I begin negotiations with him. I withdraw the advert as I'm confident he's going to sign for us.

The next day Clarke accepts our offer and I confirm the deal to bring him over to Bramall Lane. Stockport has to be compensated with £16K.

Away at Fulham, 1st in the Championship, and we start cautiously and has to defend ourselves against a deluge of shots directed at our goal. It lasts 15 minutes, then we're behind by one. We have to adjust as we have no shots to Fulham's twelve. Things turn a little better in the second half, but the Cottagers are relentless - they increase the lead by two in the matter of three minutes. On top of it all is that Wildish get injured and has to be carried off. McLean is having a dreadful game and is substituted for Bates. At the end, we concede another one as Fulham's James hits a shot that goes into the top corner like shot out of a cannon from 35 yards. Final score: 0-4.

We drop down to 7th place, five points from the top spot. Wildish has suffered a hip injury and will to our dismay be sidelined for two months. Ouch. The media approach me with the question whether we'll cope with his absence? I admit it's a big blow to the club. We are going to see if we can find a backup on short notice, maybe on a loan.

As Ray Carter is looking for a big contract, I'm going to see if we can cash in on him now before he's due to leave. Several clubs respond to my offer that my demands are too high, and I lower the price on a second offer.

We get a bad team to play for a change as we play hosts to Cardiff, currently at 23rd in the division. Naturally that means that Cardiff scores first, as early as in the 6th minute. We eventually tie the score, but ultimately lose on a penalty kick as Colin Quinn allegedly pushed an opponent. Final score: 1-2.

We sign a 25-yr old winger from Nottingham Forest as a stop-gap solution until Wildish returns. Jamie Dennis should be at least adequate as backup to Rogeau.

Away at Reading seems just like the environment to get the team heading in the right direction, and Sanderson scores the opener after only 32 seconds of play. Reading push forward, but we seal the win with five minutes left when substitute Ray Carter scores our second goal. Final score: 2-0.

We ink a deal that will take Southampton's Peter Peters to Sheffield on free transfer starting next season. He'll undoubtely play a leading role for our team. We are also in negotiations with Wolverhampton's defender Tim Smith.

In the Championship Team of the Week, we have two selections: ML Graeme Berry and a first appearance by keeper James Morris, who was rated a "10" in the last game.

Top performances:
Pkd Inf Name Position Con Apps Gls Av Rat Morale Form
- Inj David Wildish AM/F RC 45% 24 (2) 10 8.12 Superb 9-8-7-8-7
ML
Graeme Berry AM LC 93% 24 5 7.63 Superb 7-7-5-8-9
MC Yel Derek Quinn M LC 90% 25 2 7.16 Superb 7-7-6-7-8
FC
Jamie Sanderson F RC 93% 22 12 7.14 Superb 8-7-6-7-7

Championship standings:
Pos Inf Team
Pld Won Drn Lst For Ag G.D. Pts
1st
Wigan
29 16 6 7 43 30 +13 54
2nd
Fulham
29 15 8 6 40 19 +21 53
3rd
Nottm Forest
29 15 8 6 55 37 +18 53
4th
Sheff Utd
29 14 7 8 53 47 +6 49

Last edited by 3ric : 12-10-2004 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-11-2004, 06:59 AM   #10
3ric
College Starter

February 2006

The board's confidence in me remain high.

We come to terms with the signing of Tim Smith, and also a Belgian goalkeeper named Lefevre. With these additions we should be set for next season.

The 4-0 goal by Fulham's James is the winner of the Championship Goal of the Month award - quite deservedly, that was a strike for the ages.

The first home game of the month is vs Wolverhampton, which start well when Berry hit a great cross straight at the head of Bates, whose header is unstoppable. 1-0, Sheffield! As the Wolves attack with everything and the kitchen sink in the closing minutes, we turn the tables with a quick counter attack through Bates on the right side, who crossed into the box to an unmarked Berry, whose effort hit nothing but net. Final score: 2-0.

We'll have some problems at midfield in our next game as both Derek Quinn and Rogeau picked up bookings and will be suspended in our next outing.

The following day we are met by the news that right midfielder Rogeau has twisted a knee in training and will be out for two weeks. We'll be down to reserves to get a full squad.

Finally we get a team to make a bid for Carter - Millwall offers £500K for him, we gladly take it.

For the game against QPR, we promote midfielders Sam Holt and Thorvald Jacob Petersen along with striker Mark Kemp. New signee Dennis gets his first start to the right. Mark McLean scores first after some nice link-up play with Sanderson. Berry is carrying the creative load during Wildish' absence - most attacks are built up from the left side. In the 63rd minute QPR ties the score when Mathisen is caught flatfooted and unable to prevent a cross reaching Whelan, its target. Final score: 1-1.

Jamie Dennis made an OK debut, but is not fully recovered to be back in the lineup for the next game. It's going be awhile before he's match fit, but he managed 90 minutes just fine.

Going into the away game at Rotherham, we solve the quandary at right midfield with forward Jamie Sanderson, while Mark Grima is back at left back and Derek Quinn alongside Singh in the interior midfield. Rotherham scores on a corner in the 37th minute where keeper Morris appeared shut off from punching the ball away. We peg them back immediately though as McLean scores on a lovely shot right off a cross from Berry. It was his 10th goal of the season. Rotherham gets one man short early in the second half as a defender picks up his second booking. Bates puts us up by one when he heads in Berry's cross in the 68th minute. Lots of tired players toward the end and we put in Holt, Kemp and Kavanagh the final 10 minutes. Final score: 2-1.

At home again vs Peterborough in a TV aired game, we have to rest star midfielder Berry and play Derek Quinn there. Kemp gets his first start at forward and Sanderson sits when Dennis returns to the lineup. Peterborough employ an interesting (to quote Hattrick) 4-2-4 formation. McLean gets hurt in the 23rd minute and Sanderson replaces. It pays off as Sanderson is the one who opens the scoring on the first attack in the second half. Ten minutes later he scores his second in a similar way. The home team claw one back in the 92nd minute but too late. Final score: 2-1.

Graeme Berry gets selected in the Championship Team of the Week.

We're up against rivals Nottingham Forest, with Berry back in the starting eleven. John Singh gives us the lead in the 18th minute on an assist by Berry. Nottingham equalizes in the 34th minute on another of these high crosses that seems to cause Morris so much trouble. Then Forest take the lead early in the second half, and we're in some difficulty. Despite us piling on the pressure towards the end we are stopped effectively. Final score: 1-2.

Berry picked up a fifth booking and will be suspended next game, and on top of that we get the news that John Singh is injured (twisted knee) and will be out for two weeks. Fun fun fun.

Top performances:
- Inj David Wildish AM/F RC 26% 24 (2) 10 8.12 Superb 9-8-7-8-7
ML Sus Graeme Berry AM LC 92% 28 6 7.71 Very Good 9-8-8-10-7
MC
Derek Quinn M LC 87% 29 2 7.21 Good 8-7-7-9-7
GK
James Morris GK 100% 19 - 7.16 Superb 8-9-7-8-7

Championship standings:
Pos Inf Team
1st
Fulham
34 17 11 6 47 21 +26 62
2nd
Nottm Forest
34 17 9 8 64 46 +18 60
3rd
Wigan
34 18 6 10 48 38 +10 60
4th
Sheff Utd
34 17 8 9 61 52 +9 59
Old 12-12-2004, 03:11 AM   #11
3ric
College Starter

March 2006

The board remain delighted with my performance, and Graeme Berry wins the Player of the Month award. Defender Alan O'Connor is runner-up to the Young player of the Month prize, and I finish third in the voting for Manager of the Month.

In the game at Millwall, we get to face our recently departed striker, Ray Carter, who's starting for the home team in blue. Millwall has the upper hand early before I decide to push them back with adopting the attacking mindset and attitude as well. It works out for us when Jamie Dennis scores a goal, his first ever for Sheff Utd, in the 67th minute. Carter had quite a few shots at goal, but almost none within the goal frame, always wide. Final score: 1-0.

First-place Fulham has extended their unbeaten streak to 17 games.

Next time up we play Norwich, currently in 13th place. We get into trouble first when Norwich take the lead and then when Berry has to leave the game due to exhaustion. Fortunately we are saved when Kemp scores a goal right out of the blue - he receives a long pass, runs at two defenders and suddenly shoots from long range without breaking stride. The shot cannons into the goal off the post. Final score: 1-1.

Preceding the game at Barnsley, I respond to comments from their manager, who likes to play mind games with opposing managers. I decline to get into a war of words, saying only that the true battle will be on the pitch. We stay true to my words by taking an early lead through Sanderson on a pass from Rogeau from the right. Bates extend our lead 11 minutes later and we cruise easily, scoring again through Sanderson's second of the day. Rogeau is having a great game, easily winning Man of the Match. Final score: 3-0.

In training after the game Derek Quinn comes down with an ankle injury, and he'll be away for about two weeks. Fortunately Wildish is close to recovery.

At home vs Leeds (10th in the Championship) we start badly (concede a goal in the 10th minute), do worse later on (allow another goal, in the 55th minute) and aren't improving from that point on. Blech. Final score: 0-2.

We sign defender Alan O'Connor to a two-year extension, meaning that he'll be ours until 2009.

We're up against Coventry, currently at 22nd place. Wildish isn't quite there yet, so we carry on with about the same lineup, with Bates in for McLean. Sanderson collides with a defender in the third minute and has to be carried off. Kemp goes in. Coventry takes the lead in the 32nd minute and we start push forward. Morris does a real highlight save at close range to deny the Sky Blues their second goal in the 76th minute. We goes for the all-out attack. That tactic almost backfires as Coventry starts a dangerous counterattack with an attacker one-on-one with keeper Morris. Fortunately newly signed O'Connor chases the opponent down and disarms him with a sliding tackle. But in the end, we created too few scoring oportunities. Final score: 0-1.

With the result, we drop down to 6th place in the Championship.

My assistant manager's contract is about to expire (in three months) and I offer an extension. Problem is, he wants a £6500 weekly wage, and the board don't want me to pay more than £4800. He'll probably balk at the offer, but I give it a try anyhow.

Top performances:
- Inj David Wildish AM/F RC 80% 24 (2) 10 8.12 Superb 9-8-7-8-7
ML
Graeme Berry AM LC 99% 31 6 7.68 Poor 10-7-7-8-7
-
Derek Quinn M LC 83% 31 2 7.29 Superb 7-9-7-9-8
GK
James Morris GK 100% 24 - 7.29 Very Good 8-7-8-8-8

Championship standings:
Pos Inf Team
1st
Fulham
39 20 13 6 55 24 +31 73
2nd
Southampton
39 21 8 10 65 42 +23 71
3rd
Wigan
39 20 8 11 53 43 +10 68
---

6th
Sheff Utd
39 19 9 11 66 56 +10 66
Old 12-12-2004, 08:17 AM   #12
3ric
College Starter

April 2006

Midfielder Julien Rogeau is recognized for his strong play the past month - he is second runner-up in the Championship Player of the Month award. Mark Kemp's long shot to tie the game vs Norwich win the Goal of the Month award.

Wildish string of bad luck continues - on the second day of training after returning from injury, he breaks his nose in an accident.

At home vs Preston, we start with exactly the kind of pacy, attacking football I want us to play - a quick breakaway on the right flank and a cross into the box to an open Bates, who gives us the lead after 1:30. McLean scores our second late in the first half by extending a cross from the right with his head. The ball goes over the opposing keeper and into the netting. McLean score a second goal after Rogeau's shot forced the keeper into a rebound. His goal hunger hadn't lessened though and when Berry hit a great cross into the box McLean rose the highest and his header was unstoppable. A true hattrick for our striker! Final score: 4-0.

We'll play Bristol City next, and for the first time in months, David Wildish is in the squad, although he starts on the bench. Graeme Berry picked up some minor injury in the first half. He stays on the pitch, but eventually goes out in the 63rd minute for Wildish. Rogeau switch sides and takes the vacated left flank. With the game still scoreless after 80 minutes, I tell the team to throw caution to the wind and get a goal. Wildish gets off a shot from outside the box, but that's as far as we come. Final score: 0-0.

Fulham has now reached a tally of 23 games without a loss.

A tough game today - we face no. 2 Southampton at home, and Wildish is in the starting eleven, and Rogeau is on the bench. We get an unlucky start to the game as the Saints' Thomson scores on a great strike in the third minute. Rogeau comes on after 18 minutes when Berry has to leave the pitch. We push forward but all we get for our efforts is another goal for Southampton. We reduce their lead through Derek Quinn a couple of minutes later but that's as far as we get. Final score: 1-2.

Following the loss to the Saints, the playoff picture is getting a little clearer. Fulham and Southampton both has clinched playoff spots, and our next game away at no. 7 Stoke is something of a "must-win" if we are going to compete for one of the remaining spots.

Wildish lacks match fitness and Berry is lightly injured, which means both are missing the Stoke game. Rogeau and Kavanagh replaces them in the lineup with Quinn playing on the left side. We get behind 0-2 after only 24 minutes but get one back as Mathisen heads in a corner for 1-2. Bates hit the post with a nice shot and Sanderson had a one-on-one with the keeper, but our rotten luck continues. Final score: 1-2.

We get the bad news that one of our incoming Bosman signings, Tim Smith of Liverpool, has suffered a slipped disc and will be out for two months. Hopefully he's recovered in time for the transfer or the board might cancel the signing for medical reasons, if he fails the physical.

We play Plymouth Argyle (4th in the standings) and enjoy a first half where their keeper saved 7 shots, but as time went on I became more and more frustrated with all the opportunities wasted. Bates went in for Sanderson after 70 minutes, and with only five minutes left we're still at 0-0. Then we get a break on the left flank, where Berry leads the quick attack. A perfect through ball finds Bates who attracts two defenders before passing sideways to Kemp who can't miss the open goal. Plymouth push forward, and when they get careless, we pounce again. Rogeau steals the ball, O'Connor overlaps on the flank and finds Bates inside. He's alone with the keeper and beats him for our second goal! Final score: 2-0.

Fulham and Southampton win outright promotion to the Premier League. Peterborough has been relegated from the Championship and Bradford City has been promoted.

Sunderland is relegated from the Premier League.

Next time up, we're at West Ham. Wildish is at the right flank, but Quinn is out. Kavanagh gets a pass from Wildish on a counter attack and finds Sanderson with a through pass. The striker makes no mistake and we're up by one. Final score: 1-0.

Nottingham clinch the first playoff spot with one game left to play, we're only one spot behind tied with Stoke.

Top performances:
MR
David Wildish AM/F RC 81% 26 (3) 10 8.00 Superb 8-7-7-7-7
ML
Graeme Berry AM LC 92% 36 6 7.61 Superb 9-7-5-8-7
GK
James Morris GK 100% 30 - 7.43 Superb 8-6-9-8-9
- Inj Derek Quinn M LC 74% 35 3 7.31 Superb 8-8-7-7-8

Championship standings:
Pos Inf Team
1st P Fulham
45 24 14 7 64 27 +37 86
2nd P Southampton
45 26 8 11 74 45 +29 86
3rd Pl Nottm Forest
45 21 14 10 77 54 +23 77
---

5th
Sheff Utd
45 22 10 13 75 60 +15 76
Old 12-12-2004, 12:14 PM   #13
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Spiffy dynasty so far, 3ric. Keep up the good work.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 12:21 PM   #14
3ric
College Starter

Thanks, daed! There's another post coming up shortly to round up the season.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:23 PM   #15
3ric
College Starter

May 2006

Portsmouth is the second team to be relegated from the Premier League, and Walsall will also play in the Championship next season after getting promoted from League One.

It's a make or break game today at home vs Wigan, 8th in the Championship. With a win we'll likely be in the playoffs for the last promotion spot. We take the lead on a breakaway that ends with Sanderson hitting the ball past the keeper. Wigan ties the score in the 57th minute though their Brazilian star, Gustavo Gassenferth. Well into the 4 minutes of extra time added, we get possession on a tackle by Holt, the ball goes out to Sanderson who centres the ball to Bates, who turns on a dime and shoots into the top corner of the goal. Wigan goes for the all-out attack but loses possession once more. Berry runs with the ball before crossing into the box past Bates to an open Rogeau, and he easily scores our second goal in under a minute! Final score: 3-1.

We finish fourth in the Championship and sieze the second playoff spot ahead of Plymouth and Stoke. Southampton wins the Championship and Coventry is the last team to be relegated. Bolton are relegated from the Premier League.

We'll play Plymouth in the playoff semi final, with the first leg being away.

We come out flat in the first meeting against Plymouth, with not much energy and there's not much to say about us losing by two, both goals scored by their midfielder Steve Schmid. Final score: 0-2.

In the second game at home we are without both Wildish and Rogeau, as they aren't fit enough to play. Jamie Dennis plays to the right in place for Wildish. We are adopting an attacking style of play from the beginning, and in the 14th minute we get the opener we wanted through Sanderson, and it's 1-2 over the course of both legs. In the 32nd minute, we get the equalizer through a header by McLean, a bit accidentally though. He meant to center the ball from a throw-in, but it took the path towards, and over the keeper. In the 66th minute we replace Berry with Kavanagh as our left midfielder was hobbled with some minor injury. Quinn takes the left flank instead. Then disaster strikes as keeper Morris inadvertedly steers the ball into his own net. We substitute defender Grima for Bates and go with a 3-4-3 and go all-out to tie the score. Sadly, that doesn't help any. Final score: 2-1 (2-3 aggregate score)

We are eliminated from the playoffs, but we set a record attendance in the home game vs Plymouth with 30894 people showing up! That's just 6 seats short of a full capacity.

Hull wins the League One playoffs and will play in the Championship next season.

The Sheff Utd board announce that my transfer budget this coming season will be in the region of £4.6 mil.

Plymouth win the playoff final against Stoke to gain promotion to the Premier League as the third and last team.

Graeme Berry is the lone Sheff Utd player to get a place in the Championship Select - the Players' Team of the Year.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:25 PM   #16
3ric
College Starter

End-of season roster, sorted by average rating:
-
David Wildish AM/F RC 100% 28 (3) 10 7.94 Very Good 7-7-7-7-7
ML
Graeme Berry AM LC 100% 39 6 7.64 Good 8-7-10-7-7
GK
James Morris GK 100% 33 - 7.48 Good 8-9-7-8-9
MC
Derek Quinn M LC 100% 38 3 7.29 Very Good 7-8-7-7-7
S3
Sam Holt M C 100% 2 (5) - 7.14 Superb 7-8-7-7-7
S5
Mike Bates S C 100% 15 (15) 7 7.13 Superb 7-8-7-7-7
FC
Jamie Sanderson F RC 100% 37 (2) 19 7.10 Superb 7-8-8-7-7
DR
Alan O'Connor D RC 100% 29 (1) - 7.10 Superb 7-8-7-7-7
MC
John Singh AM C 100% 39 (1) 2 7.05 Very Good 8-9-8-7-7
DC
Matt Wright D/DM RC 100% 34 (3) 1 7.03 Good 7-8-7-5-7
FC
Mark McLean S C 100% 35 (5) 14 7.03 Superb 7-7-7-7-7
-
Mark Kemp S C 100% 3 (6) 2 7.00 Superb 8-7-6-7-8
- Unh Julien Rogeau AM/F RLC 93% 19 (20) 2 6.97 Superb 8-7-7-8-7
S4
Peter Kavanagh M C 100% 21 (12) 1 6.94 Superb 7-8-7-7-7
DC
Bjørn Audun Mathisen D C 100% 37 (1) 2 6.87 Very Good 7-7-7-7-7
DL
Mark Grima D/DM L 100% 35 (2) 1 6.86 Superb 7-7-7-7-7
S1
Ross Watson GK 100% 17 - 6.82 Good 7-5-7-9-6
MR
Jamie Dennis AM/F RC 100% 5 (3) 1 6.75 Very Poor 7-7-7-7-5
S2
Colin Quinn SW/D RLC 100% 13 (6) - 6.74 Superb 7-7-7-8-7
-
Jamie Jackson D C 100% 14 (4) 1 6.61 Superb 7-7-7-7-7

Old 12-12-2004, 12:28 PM   #17
3ric
College Starter

Final Championship standings:
Pos Inf Team
1st C Southampton
46 26 9 11 74 45 +29 87
2nd P Fulham
46 24 14 8 65 29 +36 86
3rd
Nottm Forest
46 22 14 10 78 54 +24 80
4th
Sheff Utd
46 23 10 13 78 61 +17 79
5th P Plymouth
46 21 15 10 62 44 +18 78
6th
Stoke
46 21 13 12 70 51 +19 76
7th
Ipswich
46 23 7 16 68 55 +13 76
8th
Leeds
46 20 12 14 80 59 +21 72
9th
Wigan
46 21 9 16 57 55 +2 72
10th
Preston
46 19 8 19 70 71 -1 65
11th
Wolves
46 15 19 12 62 56 +6 64
12th
Norwich
46 14 21 11 57 44 +13 63
13th
Q.P.R.
46 16 15 15 55 58 -3 63
14th
Watford
46 14 17 15 65 68 -3 59
15th
Rotherham
46 15 13 18 54 68 -14 58
16th
Millwall
46 13 17 16 54 57 -3 56
17th
West Ham
46 14 11 21 52 73 -21 53
18th
Gillingham
46 12 16 18 42 44 -2 52
19th
Reading
46 11 15 20 47 64 -17 48
20th
Bristol C
46 11 14 21 52 66 -14 47
21st
Cardiff
46 12 11 23 53 74 -21 47
22nd R Coventry
46 11 13 22 59 79 -20 46
23rd R Peterborough
46 10 9 27 48 93 -45 39
24th R Barnsley
46 7 12 27 30 64 -34 33

Old 12-12-2004, 01:10 PM   #18
daedalus
Pro Rookie

I'd say that's a darn nice recovery from the rougher start. Looks like you did solid with the finance as well. Good show!

Looking forward to next year.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:51 PM   #19
3ric
College Starter

June 2006

Not a busy month as the players are enjoying a deserved vacation.

We complete the Bosman signing of defender Tim Smith from Liverpool. Tim was with us on loan in the 2004/05 season and made a good impression.

David Wildish is voted as Sheffield Utd's Player of the Year by the supporters.

We receive £625K for TV rights the coming season.

The board appraisal, as of the 20th of June, is that we are expected to achieve a respectable league position in the coming season. We should be able to do that and more, I think, with the team we have - I've reinforced the squad with three solid starter-quality players and have the financial muscle to buy almost any player prepared to play in the Championship. I'm quietly confident.

My assistant manager's contract expires at the end of the month. As I've been unsuccessful in re-signing him, I place an advert for his replacement.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:35 AM   #20
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Will you be looking to do loans this season or just go with your own players?
Old 12-14-2004, 05:36 AM   #21
3ric
College Starter

It's not likely I'm going to take a player on loan, I've built up a solid roster and plan to trust the young players currently in the reserves. I'll do a depth chart later on to see if I've got any holes, but we should be deep.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:40 AM   #22
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Spiff. Will be following along.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:34 AM   #23
condors
College Starter

nice job, looking forward towards next season
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 11:10 AM   #24
3ric
College Starter

July 2006

The three new signings come in when the transfer window open again - all of them comes on free transfer as their contracts expired. It's goalie Kevin Lefebre from Fulham, midfielder Peter Peters from Southampton, and David Paterson from League Two team Chesterfield.

Reserve defender Steven Brown's contract expires and he leaves the club along with Martin Pinnington, a reserves midfielder, and my assistant manager, Mark Lee.

Suddenly a bunch of interesting players on my shortlist walk away from their clubs as free agents and I have to physically restrain myself from signing the lot of them. I do put out offers to a left back, a 17-yr old and a Swedish defensive midfielder who's really good. The last one is a real low-ball offer to see if he takes it.

I get seven replies to my advert for a new assistant manager, but the applicants are disappointing. Tony Brady, a 46-yr old Irishman is the best of them but he's no Mark Lee. He was of National reputation and the best unemployed one out there on the market. I search for more names but in the end, I come back to Brady as he's willing, he's available and I can afford him.

We bring over the 17-yr old striker, Paul White, and sign him to a contract. The defensive midfielder, Joakim Eriksson, rejects my paltry offer and I raise the bid somewhat.

We confirm the deal with Brady, our new assistant manager.

Walsall offer us their 18-yr old keeper, Steve Yates, but I decline to make a bid.

We bring in a 27-yr old left back, Gary Wright, on a week-long trial contract to see how he'd do in a backup role. Wright is good, but would be too expensive to sign.

Our first friendly is away at Gigg Lane, Bury. We get behind by one in the first half and Wildish get injured (again) and is substituted for new signee Peters. Mathisen is not having a very good game today, and Bates became very tired. At halftime, we make 10 more substitutions. Young striker David Jenkins made a good impression in the second half. Final score: 0-1.

We get some bad news - 20-yr old midfielder Peter Kavanagh tore ligaments in his knee during training and will be out for at least two months.

Away at Kingstonian, we are resting three players who aren't recovered enough from the last outing. The game is 0-0 at halftime, and we put 10 new outfielders to see if they fare better. We get a penalty kick awarded to us in the second half after Jenkins was brought down roughly in the box, and reserves striker Watkins takes the kick and converts it successfully. Only three minutes later we go ahead by 2-0 as Rogeau scores on a shot from outside the box. The same Rogeau gets an assist in the 83rd minute when he feeds Jenkins with a precise cross which the young striker shoots into the net. Watkins, Jenkins and Rogeau played very well in the second half. Final score: 3-0.

I get a team report from my new assistant manager, who tells me our best players is Wildish, Graeme Berry and new keeper Lefebvre. The best defender is Alan O'Connor, and Sanderson is our best striker. Potential stars are defender Colin Quinn, midfielder Sam Holt, and striker Scott Watkins. Holt may very well become a starter this season, and Quinn already has several starts. Our weakest link is in defense, and particularily Jamie Jackson. He also thinks that David Connelly deserves a place in the first team.

I relegate Jackson to the reserves and promote Connelly. We are also taking a closer look at two 18-yr old defenders, Peter Costello and David Millar, with the intent of buying one of them.

We play Bristol Rovers at their place, with defender Tim Smith making his first appearance for us. Rovers get a penalty in the first half and we are down by one when we put in fresh outfielders at halftime. Watkins equalize in the 51st minute on a pass from Sanderson. But Rovers win on a goal in the 72nd minute. Left back Mark Grima wasn't very good in this game. Final score: 1-2.

Walsall enters with an enquiry for David Connelly, and ask how much we'd like to sell the player for. He's valued at £110K, but he's just 18, and a great talent. I ask for £300K.

We offer a contract to Middlesbrough's defender David Millar, the transfer would cost us £1.8M if completed.

In the next game, away at Farnsborough, there's not a lot of action in the first half. Are they getting complacent? We take the lead in the second half on a 20-yd strike by Petersen. Sanderson adds another one in extra time. Final score: 2-0.

Millar snubs us due to the salary offered, which was much too low for his taste. Walsall withdraw their offer for Connelly.

Hull offers me £150K plus incentives for Connelly. I politely refuse.

Our second to last friendly, away at Weymouth, is also the first with what could be our starting lineup when league play begins. In goal: Lefebvre. In defence, from left: Connelly, O'Connor, Mathisen, Smith. Midfield: Berry, Holt, Quinn, Wildish. Forwards: Sanderson, Bates. Well, almost the starting lineup - Wildish is resting today. We start with an attacking mentality but have only a Bates goal at halftime. The starters play 64 minutes before I bring on the reserves. Scott Watkins had a shot in goal, but was whistled for offside. Sanderson was the best player on the team today. Final score: 1-0.

Berry twisted a knee in the game and will be out a week.

To close out the pre-season, we play the new Premier League team - Southampton. Right back Francis and midfielder Berry is sitting this one out. We pull the starters at halftime with a two-goal lead (D.Quinn and Bates) and win this outing rather comfortably. Final score: 2-0.

Mark McLean suffered a groin strain during training and will miss the first two weeks of the new season.

Last edited by 3ric : 12-16-2004 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:54 PM   #25
3ric
College Starter

Roster review

Goalkeepers
Starter Kevin Lefebvre, 28 yrs old from Belgium. Is the complete package with lightning reflexes, great agility and occasionally some butterfingers. Valued £1.2 mil.

Backup James Morris, 26 yrs old from England. Concentration phenom with little flair and questionable decisionmaking at times. Valued £240K.

Defenders

Left back David Connelly, 18 yrs old from England. Superb technique, passing and decisionmaking, but a little slight of body. Valued £110K.

Centre back Björn Mathisen, 20 yrs old from Norway. Awesome man-marker and tackler, but isn't good with high balls. Valued £975K.

Centre back Alan O'Connor, 20 yrs old from Ireland. Superb positioning and heading, but lacks passing ability. Valued £1.5 mil.

Right back Tim Smith, 23 yrs old from England. Good heading, tackling, passing, the lot except that he loses his marking at times. Valued £180K.

Backup Colin Quinn, 18 yrs old from Ireland. Fantastic technique but lacks pace and strength. Valued $55K.

Backup Matt Wright, 19 yrs old from England. Solid tackler with high work rate but with a dreadful first touch on the ball. Valued £80K.

Backup Mark Grima, 31 yrs old from Malta. Well-rounded player with few weaknesses but few strengths as well.

Midfielders

Left wing Graeme Berry, 30 yrs old from England. Good passer, even better on long shots, but isn't good at marking and has a bad first touch. Valued £1.4 mil.

Inner midfielder Derek Quinn, 21 yrs old from Ireland. Lethal finisher, great dribbler but another one with a lousy first touch. Valued £1.7 mil.

Inner midfielder Sam Holt, 19 yrs old from England. Wonderful passer with loads of creativity but is careless about marking and isn't very strong. Valued £2 mil.

Right midfielder David Wildish, 24 yrs old from England. Unbelievable dribbler, great long shots but no marking, bad positioning, no jumping ability and little stamina. Valued £2.5 mil.

Backup Peter Kavanagh, 20 yrs old from Ireland. Superb crosses, very good stamina, low strength and bad positioning. Valued £325K.

Backup Peter Peters, 29 yrs old from England. Very good crossing ability, very creative but low stamina and low composure. Valued £1.7 mil.

Backup John Singh, 31 yrs old from England. Good passer, good marker, little flair and can't dribble. Valued £110K.

Backup Julien Rogeau, 22 yrs old from Cyprus. Good marker, very good tackler with little concentration and low determination. Valued £400K.

Backup Jamie Dennis, 25 yrs old from England. Very good decisionmaking, high creativity and flair but can't tackle or mark an opponent. Valued £80K.

Forwards

Striker Jamie Sanderson, 23 yrs old from Scotland. Great balance and agility but isn't very aggressive and isn't interested in taking tackles. Valued £875K.

Striker Mike Bates, 23 yrs old from England. Great dribbling ability, superb finisher who is an average passer and has little understanding of the concept "teamwork". Valued £350K.

Backup Mark McLean, 33 yrs old from Scotland. Great first touch, aggressive and influential but has little pace and agility. Valued £14K.

Backup Mark Kemp, 18 yrs old from England. Nice technique, wonderful touch on long passes, but can't tackle and needs to be less gun-shy.
Old 12-16-2004, 03:05 PM   #26
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Seems like both your fullbacks are the attacking type. With both Holt and Quinn seeming more offensive minded, are you worried about defense or do you think they'll do fine? Being able to add Lefebvre cheaply is awesome, though.
Old 12-17-2004, 12:24 AM   #27
3ric
College Starter

I've been thinking about having a DMC to put in there to tidy up behind all those attacking options, but right now I'm loving the sight of six people in the box when we have the ball! I have compensated a bit tactically with how the defensive line operates - they are very quick with dropping back.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:59 AM   #28
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Gotcha. 6 in the box would be niiiiiiiiiiice. There's always outscoring them!
Old 12-19-2004, 12:08 PM   #29
3ric
College Starter

August 2006

The board is very pleased with my performance as manager.

I'm still looking to add a defender, Portsmouth is the latest club to refuse my offerings for a Mike Watson. I raise my bid.

We invite a free agent Spaniard, Ricardo, to a week's trial.

Leeds Utd has been made 7-4 favorites to gain promotion this season. The main contenders are priced at: Sheff Utd 2-1, Nottm Forest 5-2, Bolton 3-1, Portsmouth 3-1 and Stoke at 3-1. We apparently are viewed as having a serious chance at promoting this season, nice to see.

We are drawn at Huddersfield of the League One in the first round of the League Cup.

Portsmouth tells us they'll settle for a £3.1 mil price for Mike Watson. That's a little steep, but upon further review I see that it's only £925K up front and £2.2 mil in montly installments over 12 months. Alrighty then - I agree to the price.

Our first competitive game this season is at home vs Hull City. Lefebvre makes an early impression by saving a penalty caused by Connelly. We score early in the second half after Peters found Bates with a pass which the striker finished off in great style. Hull equalize in the 69th minute when Chapman runs through the defense and beats Lefebvre with a low shot. Lots of tired players out there, I wish I could replace a few more... Final score: 1-1.

Portsmouth give me the go-ahead on talking with Watson about the terms of his contract. He wants a salay of £35K, I give him £30 to see if that's fair enough.

The next game is also at home, vs Gillingham. We rest three fourths of our midfield, with Berry, Rogeau and Singh coming on as well as Wright for Smith. In the 28th minute Sanderson drifts wide left ahead of Berry, and gets the ball before finding a trailing Quinn who shoots from a distance, and it's 1-0! Gillingham equalize in a through an unmarked attacker (he clearly was offside, mind you) whose shot Lefebvre was unable to save. Luckily, Bates scores for us when he pounced on a fumbled save by their keeper. With three minutes to go, Singh extends our lead through a wonderful shot from 20 yards. Final score: 3-1.

Mike Watson agrees to our terms on his contract and signs for Sheff Utd. With our long-awaited reinforcement in defense coming, we relegate midfielder Dennis to the reserves. Fellow defender Tim Smith complain in the media about high-profile players coming in and making him work harder for his spot. Well, good for him, I reply.

Away at Rotherham, we are short of actual chances and ultimately lose on one of the few chances they had. Disappointing. Smith, Wildish, Holt and Quinn all played well though. Final score: 0-1.

Tim Smith and Wildish was selected in the Championship Team of the Week.

Away for the second game in a row, we visit the Den to play Millwall. Smith is given a rest and Wright play at fullback. Singh alternates with Holt at the inside midfield spot. Wildish open his scoring account for the season when he snaps up the ball from Bates and drives into the box before shooting into the top corner of the goal. At 20 minutes, we get a break down the right side as Wright pushes up the ball to Wildish. Our playmaker finds a space inside and suddenly shoots from 30 yds, in the goal, unstoppable for the keeper. What a strike! Millwall reduces the lead to one after Stockbridge's tap-in from close range. We pull back with a defensive attitude and ride out the coming storm. Wildish was Man of the Match with a maximum rating of 10. Final score: 2-1.

Berry injured a knee during the match and will be out for two weeks. Next day in training, we lose another one as keeper Lefebvre twists a knee and is going to be away for a week.

Jamie Dennis request a private meeting with me and demands to know why he's being left out of the first team. If he's not guaranteed selection then he'll be looking to leave the club. He's an unfortunate victim of the numbers game as nine midfielders on the team is one too many, but as I have sympathy to his plight I restore him to the first team.

Back at Bramall Lane for a home game vs QPR, currently at 19th place after a rough start of the season. GK Ross Watson in the reserves will back up starter James Morris today. Holt is back in the starting eleven for Singh. Peters play to the left in relief for Berry. We start in attacking fashion and create lots of chances, but get a nasty surprise when QPR score on their first real opportunity in the 26th minute. Early in the second half they go two goals up, second goal of the game by Jamie Edge. Holt is pulled for Rogeau as he's overmatched in this game. We go all-out and close down on the ball all over, but to no use. Final score: 0-2.

QPR's manager Andy Hill speaks in the media about us not being able to backup claims with the actual performance on the pitch, referring to the favorable odds to promotion we've gotten. I give a curt response along the lines of "not sure Hill is the type of manager that should be in charge of a team".

Lefebvre and Wildish make the Championship Team of the Week. Speaking of Wildish, he's been hinting to management that he'd like a better salary considering his value to the team. Problem is, he don't seem to believe that we can afford the kind of wage he's seeking. He's bound by contract for two more seasons though.

The first round of the League Cup is due - and we face Huddersfield on the road, live on the telly. Connelly steps in at left fullback, and Singh plays instead of Holt, who's going to be patient for a while. Still a scoreless game after 66 minutes, and we pull a tired Peters for Wildish to stir things up a bit. In the 86th minute, we get the goal we wanted through Derek Quinn, who strikes home a cross from the right. Final score: 1-0.

Alan O'Connor, Chris Burns (reserves keeper) and David Jenkins (reserves striker) are all called up to their respective U21 national teams.

Jamie Dennis is transfer listed and offered to several teams as he's still unhappy at he's not been given the star treatment.

In the draw for the second round in the League Cup, we get Norwich, also in the Championship.

Difficult game coming up - we face Wolverhampton, one of the top teams currently. There's no fit option at left midfielder except utility man Rogeau. We put Mark Grima on a bench seat to cover for him. We start with high intensity in tackling but have good goalkeeping from Morris to thank for a scoreless start of the half. In the 25th minute Bates get the ball in space on a pass from Wildish, and is able to run at the defense, beat an opponent, and fire the ball inside the post. 1-0, Sheff Utd! In the second half, we continue to keep the Wolves at bay. When several players are getting very tired, we start pulling back and manage to stay ahead until the end. Final score: 1-0.

James Morris, Wildish and Tim Smith all were selected in the Team of the Week.

Leeds manager Booth are commenting to the media he's "very confident" his team will beat Sheff Utd in the upcoming game.

At home vs Leeds, we get Peters back in the lineup and Lefebvre is dressed, but on the bench. We experiment with giving Quinn more defensive responsibility and Wildish more creative freedom. Close to halftime, we get behind when the defensive left is pulled apart and a Leeds player can shoot in the narrow gap between Morris and the near post. Luckily, we tie the score right after kickoff through Bates. Leeds' Lee Smith gets red-carded early in the second half and they go to a defensive style of play. Wildish invites the Leeds defense to a merry go-around before feeding Bates with a pass that the striker scores on, with aplomb. Leeds are reduced to nine men when a second player is sent off, but they carry on bravely and suprisingly tie the score. I urge the team to keep fighting and not slacking off. Leeds close down the game effectively. Final score: 2-2.

Gillingham make a bid for Jamie Dennis.

Top performances:
Pkd Inf Name Position Con Apps Gls Av Rat
MR
David Wildish AM/F RC 90% 6 (1) 2 8.00
S1
Kevin Lefebvre GK 98% 4 - 7.50
GK PR James Morris GK 100% 4 - 7.50
DR Unh Tim Smith D RC 93% 6 - 7.50

Championship standings:
Pos Inf Team
1st
Ipswich
7 7 0 0 15 1 +14 21
2nd
West Ham
7 4 2 1 12 4 +8 14
---

10th
Sheff Utd
7 3 2 2 9 8 +1 11
---

23rd
Bradford City
7 1 0 6 2 16 -14 3
24th
Preston
7 0 2 5 2 13 -11 2
Old 12-19-2004, 02:19 PM   #30
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Wow. Watson is the biggest transfer I can remember you making in this thread. You must be a big fan.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:31 AM   #31
3ric
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus
Wow. Watson is the biggest transfer I can remember you making in this thread. You must be a big fan.

I had all these transfer funds, and didn't think I was going to use any of it. But when I realized I needed another defender, I decided to use most of the money on one player, who would make a difference. Watson has been very good in the upcoming month.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:48 AM   #32
3ric
College Starter

September 2006

The board is still very pleased with my performance, good to see that even though we could've started the season better.

Wildish win the Championship Player of the Month award and also wins the Goal of the Month award with that ridiculous 2-0 strike vs Millwall.

I have accepted Gillingham's offer for Dennis, and the transfer will go through in a few days.

Midfielder Peter Peters has been injured during training and will be out for two weeks.

In the next game, away at Bolton, the left midfield spot is manned by Graeme Berry in his return from the injury, and Lefebvre is also back in the starting eleven. We start cautiously, and play the Wanderers close to the hilt. After 68 minutes we start pushing forwards a bit more, but it's likely coincidence that we score only a minute later through Bates, who escapes the offside trap and makes to mistake alone with the keeper. Bates score his second six minutes later when the Bolton defense is too passive and allow him to run at them. Kemp add another goal in the 82nd minute on a lovely through pass from defender Watson. We allow a goal at the end, but on a day like this, it doesn't matter. Great win. Final score: 3-1.

Smith, Watson and Bates all are selected to the Championship Team of the Week.

At home vs Norwich, 8th in the standings, we make only one change from the last game - Sanderson replaces McLean. It pays off when he gets an assist on Graeme Berry's opening goal in the 20th minute. Then Sanderson pressures the Canaries' Turner into heading the ball in his own goal at the beginning of the second half. Berry lacks match fitness and has to go off after 67 minutes, and we're pulling back for the remainder of the game. Final score: 2-0.

We play Norwich a second time in a row, this time in the League Cup second round. We are not playing many starters in this game to give them a rest - only Smith, Singh and Lefebvre are left from the first game. It appears Norwich are treating the game equally - the contest is dull and uneventful. After 90 minutes we are still tied and scoreless. Bates and Berry has entered the game to provide fresher legs. The first overtime period hasn't lasted two minutes before Rogeau crosses into center to find Bates. It's 1-0, Sheffield, and this guy's season is already forcing people to take notice. In the 110th minute we turn the tables on a Norwich attack and Kemp drives the ball forward and shoots. The keeper saves, but the rebound is collected by strike partner Bates, who makes a move before hitting the net - his second goal! Lots of people in both teams are dead tired now. Final score: 2-0.

A lot of people have been interested in our young defender David Connelly, and I'm forced to issue a public hands-off warning that I'm not interested in selling him.

We get an interesting draw in the third round of the league cup - Arsenal at home. That'd attract a few people, I reckon.

Away at last-place Preston we restore the lineup to normal even though I was impressed by several backups in the cup game. We get into trouble when Wildish is whistled for pushing an opponent - in the penalty area, no less. But the penalty kick is saved by Lefebvre - the second time this season he has saved a PK! Preston fight valiantly, and we're playing a close game, and to escape Deepdale with a point each was not a bad result. Final score: 0-0.

Preston now has gone 15 straight games without a win.

Midfielder Peter Kavanagh has returned to full training. That's very good news for the inside midfield.

The last game of the month is at home vs Sunderland, 11th in the Championship. Smith is ruled out, which leaves Wright as the right fullback and Peters on the bench. We get an awful start to the game as the visitors score after only 24 seconds. In the 36th minute, we equalize through Quinn, but Wildish made the goal by driving up the ball from midfield along the right sideline, cutting inside and seeing the open lane to his teammate. We go all-out towards the end, but still can't get a win. Final score: 1-1.

Top performers:
MR
David Wildish AM/F RC 62% 10 (1) 2 8.00 Superb 7-7-8-8-9
GK
Kevin Lefebvre GK 93% 9 - 7.78 Very Good 9-8-8-8-7
- Unh Tim Smith D RC 86% 10 - 7.70 Superb 7-9-8-8-7
MC

Derek Quinn M LC 69% 12 3 7.50 Very Good 6-8-8-8-7

Championship standings:
Pos Inf Team
1st
Ipswich
11 8 2 1 18 3 +15 26
2nd
Q.P.R.
11 6 4 1 20 9 +11 22
---

10th
Sheff Utd
11 5 4 2 15 10 +5 19
---

23rd
Bristol C
11 2 0 9 4 18 -14 6
24th
Preston
11 0 3 8 4 23 -19 3

Last edited by 3ric : 12-20-2004 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:12 PM   #33
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Good month!

I agree about saving up for a difference maker. Now if only Wenger would follow your lead and get a defensive difference maker in January . . .
Old 12-20-2004, 02:19 PM   #34
3ric
College Starter

October 2006

Still no change in the board's confidence - they remain very pleased. We're just two points from second place, which sounds a lot better than 10th place.

Tim Smith finished third in the voting for Player of the Month, and Derek Quinn likewise was third in the Goal of the Month awards.

We get a shortage of strikers when both Mark Kemp and Mark McLean comes down with injuries. We'll be two marks short for a couple of weeks, ha ha ha. Pun intended.

Youngsters Scott Watkins and David Jenkins are training with the first team to cover for these latest injuries.

On our away trip to Stoke we have Watkins on the bench, and Smith is back at DR. Sanderson has to go out after 30 minutes, and Watkins comes on. Alan O'Connor comes off after 75 minutes. Still scoreless. In the closing minute, we get a dangerous free kick close to the penalty area. Watkins takes it, straight at the keeper who can't hold the rebound and Wright shoots - in the arms of the goalie. Lefebvre was man of the match. Final score: 0-0.

In the next game we are without backup keeper Morris, and put Jenkins, the other young striker on the bench. The game is at Portsmouth, and we're determined to break the streak of ties, now three games long. At halftime, we're still at nil-nil, and I begin to worry. However, only five minutes into the second half we get a goal as Singh unload a fearsome shot at the keeper, who allows a rebound which Bates hit into the net. In the 68th minute, I switch Sanderson for Jenkins, and four minutes later the young striker touches the ball for the first time. A long goal kick from Lefebvre is brought down beautifully, and with the ball fully under control he turns outside, gains a step ahead of the defenders and shoots an unstoppable shot past the keeper in the far end of the goal. What a debut! Eat your heart out Wayne Rooney. We increase the lead to 3-0 when Wildish spins around defenders and finds Bates in the open. Eight minutes from time we get a fourth goal as O'Connor barges in with the ball from close range following a corner kick. We aren't finished - next time Wildish has the ball he displays his long-range shooting ability by drilling a 30-yd shot under the bar. Unbelievable. Final score: 5-0.

Smith and Wildish both was voted into the Team of the Week.

The scouting report regarding Arsenal, our next opponent in the League Cup, tells me that they are a world-class team who plays an attractive attacking 4-4-2 scheme. Their attack is strong and quick and central midfielder Jason Heath is the spark in their team.

The lineup remain the same, and I have them brimming with confidence. We're going to play hard and not back down to the superior team. We're playing home, vs Arsenal! The visitors take command from the start, but Lefebvre and the defense is playing well today. Suddenly, after 23 minutes, we get a break and counter attack on a long ball to Sanderson. He escapes the offside trap, fends off the last defender and... he scores! Wo-hoo! Arsenal starts play, but loses possession once more and after a few passes the ball lands at the feet of Bates out to the right. The striker cuts inside and shoots - it's 2-0! The keeper was clearly to blame at that one. A two-goal lead at halftime against the mighty Arsenal, who would've thought that? Wildish is substituted for Rogeau after 68 minutes and we're still in the lead. In the closing minutes, it's a disillusioned premier league team who's going through the motions, and we get another goal through a long shot by Rogeau which takes a lucky deflection off a defender and into the empty net. Final score: 3-0.

Media coverage of the game, and the shock result, is summarized in the line: "...notable for the fact that the supposed minnows were rarely troubled by their more illustrious opponents."

We will play Newcastle in the fourth round of the League Cup.

Reserves keeper Ross Watson is transfer listed by request.

We're up against Watford at home. Kavanagh is replacing Quinn, who gets a well deserved rest. In fact, we're replacing everyone and give the backups a chance to shine. Lefebvre and defender O'Connor is the only ones left. In front, we are curious on what Jenkins will do in his first start for the Blades. Watford scores first, through Lynch in the 12th minute. Still behind by one after 68 minutes, we bring on Wildish and Watkins and go for it... and concede a penalty, which not even our Belgian Blue in goal can stop. Ugh. Final score: 0-2.

Away at Bristol City, we need a win to steer the ship right once more. We are too inconsistent, beating Arsenal and losing to Watford? Madness! We start the game in spectacular fashion through our own incomparable David Wildish. He receives the ball on the right flank and starts a run that would make Ronaldinho green with envy. Cuts inside before the touchline, makes another defender look silly, and slots the ball inside to Berry... and defender Kelly intervenes, only to put the ball in his own goal! Unbelievable, it's 1-0... after 28 seconds! We're still leading by one when Jenkins comes on after 69 minutes for Watkins. With eight minutes to go we make the last two substitutions and go defensive to protect the lead. Final score: 1-0.

Top performers:
MR
David Wildish AM/F RC 70% 14 (2) 3 8.06
GK
Kevin Lefebvre GK 100% 14 - 7.86
DR Unh Tim Smith D RC 84% 14 - 7.64
MC
Derek Quinn M LC 75% 16 3 7.56

Championship standings:
Pos Inf Team
1st
Leeds
15 10 1 4 36 18 +18 31
2nd
Wolves
15 9 3 3 28 13 +15 30
---

8th
Sheff Utd
15 7 5 3 21 12 +9 26
---

23rd
Bradford City
15 2 2 11 7 35 -28 8
24th
Bristol C
15 2 0 13 5 25 -20 6
Old 12-20-2004, 02:31 PM   #35
condors
College Starter

very nice win!
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 03:28 PM   #36
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Nice job! 5-0 in second half. Wow. Good win against the Gunners, too.

Wildish seems like a nice wildcard. One of those guys who can, at any time, go off on a crazy play. Nice to have on offense.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:26 AM   #37
3ric
College Starter

You bet. When he's not on the pitch, we're a solid, boring and not very spectacular team. The other winger, Berry, is a superb player in his own right, but isn't creating half of the opportunities Wildish does. Last season, when Wildish was injured, Berry was one the top 4 in dribbles/game with about 5.8, a very good number. No:s 2 and 3 had numbers of 6.1, 6.2, something like that. Wildish was number one with an average of 13.2 dribbles per game.
Insane.
Old 12-21-2004, 05:15 AM   #38
Alf
Pro Starter

I really enjoy your presentation 3ric
Old 12-22-2004, 03:09 PM   #39
3ric
College Starter

Thanks Alf!
Old 12-22-2004, 03:11 PM   #40
3ric
College Starter

November 2006

Again, the board is delighted with my performance as manager.

David Wildish is second in the voting for the Player of the Month award, and his goal vs Portsmouth was the first runner-up for the Goal of the Month.

We're playing Cardiff at home next, and we play with a veteran pairing up front again, with Sanderson and McLean. Sanderson has had a difficult season so far with Bates hogging all the glory, but this time, he took the chance and went all the way with it. He opened the scoring in the fifth minute, and added another one after 35 minutes. Four minutes later he had scored a hattrick by striking home Berry's cross from the left. Cardiff's Jackson miss a penalty to preserve our shutout in the 68th minute. Disaster strikes when important midfielder Derek Quinn is injured. We substitute him for Kavanagh and hopes we'll manage in his absence. Final score: 3-0.

Quinn is going to be out with a groin strain for two weeks, and on top that, is joined by fellow midfield starter Singh, who has a twisted knee! The Englishman of Indian heritage is going to back sooner, in a week, but our depth will be tested.

We're going to play Newcastle in the League Cup, which again pits me and my wits against that of Newcastle manager Wayne Davis. We have a friendly relationship and are always complimenting each other in interviews.

Backup defender Mark Grima suffered a bad injury in training - he'll be out for a whole month.

Away at St.James Stadium, Newcastle, we are constructing a new interior midfield of Kavanagh and Peters. Otherwise, it's the same lineup. We are going cautious in our tactics, pulling Kavanagh back to offer support to the defense and not going forward as much with the wingers. Close to the end of the first half, the Tynesiders has us down by one after outshooting us 15 to 1. We revisit the tactic at halftime, and starts to push the wingers forward again to, maybe, score a tie. But not five minutes into the second half, Newcastle's Maurizio Donati score on a beautiful strike from 25 yds. There's not much we can do this time. Final score: 0-2.

My physio tells me that defender Mathisen is due for a rest, he's worn out from playing every game.

Back to earth, and back into the Championship, where we're playing Bradford City. My assistant manager suggests we move Watson inside and play Connelly to the left when Mathisen's going to be "inactivated" for awhile. Bradford are fighting bravely and we're not creating much chances against their disciplined defending. To make matters worse, they get a fluke goal right before halftime! We get our first chance to even things out on a breakaway where Sanderson pushed the ball forward before slotting it outside to Wildish. Our playmaker calmly forced their keeper to tip his hand before he flicked the ball in the net. Connelly is hobbled and has to go off after 65 minutes for Wright. Bates and Peters leaves the pitch shortly after that to get fresher men in the game. With a minute left of regulation, O'Connor hits a free kick which goes straight to striker Kemp, who controls it before hitting it high into the net, past the keeper. Final score: 2-1.

Unhappy keeper Ross Watson is part of a proposed loan offer out to the local rivals, Sheffield Wednesday. All three of Tim Smith, Peter Peters and David Wildish was in the Team of the Week.

Away we are to play West Ham, with several players out of the contest. Peters, Wildish, Connelly and Sanderson aren't recovered fully and will sit this one out. As usual, we get behind early and has to change tactics to attacking mode (which seems to suit us). After 65 minutes we have to pull an exhausted Singh for youngster Holt and started to push forward even a bit more. In the end we have three strikers up there to get that tying goal. Final score: 0-1.

Sunderland offers us £40K plus two young prospects for keeper Ross Watson, which I accept.

We try to rebound from that disappointing loss and prepare for the upcoming game vs Walsall at home. Quinn is back inside along with Singh, and Wildish also returns to the lineup. Quinn shows his vision and craft in setting up Bates to the left in the area where he can put a move on his defender and shoot past the keeper in one fluid motion. We keep on piling on the pressure, but before you know it, the score is tied through Walsall's Sekuo Dao. Despite our efforts, it's all we can do to keep the score as it is. Final score: 1-1.

Watson agrees to join Sunderland in a £40K transfer with a player exchange thrown in. The youngsters in the deal are D/M C Leon Knight and F RLC Dean Stevens, who starts their trade in the reserves.

Smith and Wildish was in the Championship Team of the Week. Oldham has signed unprotected reserves forward Martin Pinnington, no big loss for us, I was hoping someone would pick him up.

Top performers:
PkdInfNamePositionConAppsGlsAv Rat
MR
David WildishAM/F RC96%18 (2)48.15
GK
Kevin LefebvreGK100%19-7.84
DRYelTim SmithD RC98%19-7.68
ML
Graeme BerryAM LC96%16 (1)17.59

Championship standings:
PosInfTeam
PldWonDrnLstForAgG.D.Pts
1st
Sunderland
1913244120+2141
2nd
Wolves
1911533113+1838
---

7th
Sheff Utd
199642715+1233
---

23rd
Watford
1931152347-2410
24th
Bradford City
192314941-329

Last edited by 3ric : 12-22-2004 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:07 PM   #41
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Just outside the playoff spaces, not bad too!
Old 12-27-2004, 03:31 AM   #42
3ric
College Starter

December 2006

Things remain the same to such an extent I actually did a double-take - the board remain delighted with my services and Wildish came second in the voting for Player of the Month, just as last month. Jamie Sanderson's goal vs Cardiff was voted third-best for the Goal of the Month.

We start the new month's play with a home game vs Wigan, and the lineup is identical to last game's. Mathisen is still held aside, but he's close to making a return, I think. We take a lead after 12 minutes on a crazy free kick - Quinn hit it into the wall, and the deflection hit the post, and Sanderson was first on the ball to force it into the goal. With only seconds left before the halftime signal, a quick counter-attack is started by Lefebvre, whose mighty throw found Bates running. The speedster outran the defense and hit the ball past the hapless keeper. We have to substitute Connelly due to injury and put Wright at DC, while Watson moves to the left. At the same time, a tired Singh leaves for Peters. Wildish is next person to go off, and Kavanagh goes in. Wigan has been without a win for a long time and isn't creating much today either. Final score: 2-0.

We've been scheduled to play Ipswich in the Third Round of the FA Cup. A difficult draw - Town is one of the better teams in the Championship, and one of our main competitors for the promotion spots.

Striker McLean has been moved to the reserves to get the first team back to 22 men - I'd like to see Jenkins in action more. McLean is 33, and his contract is up after this season.

Remember Remzi Kucukkoc? The young Turkish-born midfielder had a contract that expired back in June, but he has stayed on the club on a rolling month-by-month contract since. Last January, he couldn't be signed because a work permit wasn't granted. Now he has finally been re-signed through 2010 thanks to him becoming a naturalized English citizen.

Speaking of Ipswich, we play them at their place today in the Championship. Midfielder Singh is out with a damaged elbow which makes room for Peters. We start with a careful tactic - less runs forward for the wingers and with Quinn pulling back often and early. Considering that, it was perhaps luck that gave us the early lead on a corner kick that Berry hit hard into the net. Ipswich has a familiar face at their inside midfield - malcontent Portuguese Nuno. Wildish leaves after 65 minutes for Rogeau, who's much better defensively. Lefebvre has been withstanding heavy pressure today, but he's been outstanding. We put in Kavanagh and Wright with 10 minutes to go and tries to hold on the the slim lead. We're time-wasting un purpose, but suddenly Bates find himself open to run at the goal and his instincts take over. He escapes a defender's challenge and promptly lobs the keeper for a decisive extra-time goal. Final score: 2-0.

We're up to 4th place, three points behind Sunderland in third and five points behind leading Wolves.

Defender Tim Smith has picked up an automatic suspension following his fifth booking.

20-yr old defender Alan O'Connor has told the press that he needs to leave the club to further his career. He's signed until 2009.

We're trying to avoid being overconfident going into the game at home vs 12-place Reading. Kavanagh and Wright plays today instead of Quinn and Smith, while Jenkins get a chance up front alongside Bates. A corner from Berry is headed back to him and he crosses over the entire defensive box to Bates, who's found space on the opposite side. He takes a step inside before shooting between the keeper and the near post, his 15th goal this season. Later, Wildish crosses into the box, the ball goes up to Peters who shoots. The shot is saved by the keeper and deflected on a defender and it's an own goal! Jenkins leaves after 67 minutes for Kemp and Rogeau replaces Peters. Final score: 2-0.

Sanderson is injured, and will be out two weeks. I restore McLean to the first team and relegate Grima, who's just returned from injury - he'll need some match practice. Quinn, Smith and Singh is back in the lineup although Peters has been impressive lately. Off we are to the away game at Gillingham. The home team starts lively and create loads of chances - Watson cleared a ball off the line at one time. At halftime the game is scoreless, but Gillingham has 14 shots to our 5, with only one of ours being on target. We pull McLean for Jenkins as the veteran isn't playing well. Then, in the 75th minute there's a cross from the left which comes to close to the goalmouth and Peters rises to challenge their keeper. Instead, the ball takes a lucky deflection off Peters and into the goal! He never saw it coming! But Gillingham gets a penalty when Lefebvre is judged to have pushed an attacker. But Lefebvre saves it!! Instead, Gillingham gets revenge with a goal in the 89th minute, but Peters seals it with his second goal of the game. Final score: 2-1.

Wildish goes down in training with an ankle injury which will keep him out for 2 weeks.

Smith, Peters and Wildish are all chosen for the Team of the Week.

In the game at home vs Rotherham, we play Peters to the right instead of Wildish. Derek Quinn scores the first goal after 28 minutes with a screamer from the edge of the area. He's a lot like Steven Gerrard in that aspect. Bates adds the second after O'Connor hit a great through ball behind the defensive line. Rogeau enters the game for an aching Singh. Final score: 2-0.

Away at Nottingham Forest, the young Norwegian defender, Mathisen, is back in central defense and we play Julien Rogeau inside along with Quinn. Singh isn't dressing for the game today and neither is McLean, who'll have to watch as Kemp get the start. We are outshot 8 to 4 in the first half, but the game is still scoreless, and I think we have had the best chances. However, we run into trouble as most of the team is running low on fumes. I replace Berry, Peters and Kemp with Kavanagh, Holt and Jenkins. Hopefully we'll make it to the end. Fortunately a lot of guys on the Forest team is tired as well. Final score: 0-0.

We get hit by a lot of injuries as well as general tiredness - Berry, Kemp and Bates are all going to be out for about a week.

We also get hit by the news that important midfielder Derek Quinn wants to move for a bigger club.

We have a few contracts about to expire in six months - Mark Grima and Mark McLean won't get renewals but John Singh has performed well and we offer him a small raise with his extension. Unfortunately, Sanderson is not interesting in negotiating a new contract.

Quinn is held out of our next game at Hull, with Kavanagh starting and Singh back at his usual spot. Rogeau plays to the left, the youngsters Jenkins and Watkins up front and on the bench we have Knight and Wilkinson from the reserves. After 57 minutes things look bleak as Hull takes the lead and Peters has to leave the game. We start pushing forward with Singh moving outside and Holt in the middle. Watson is caught in possession and Hull extends their lead in the 76th minute. Bad game all over. Final score: 0-2.

When we made the substitution of Watkins for Wilkinson, we unknowingly made club history with having the youngest player ever taking field for Sheffield Utd.

Singh signs a new contract with the club just before the start of the new year.

Top performers:
- PR David Wildish AM/F RC 62% 22 (2) 4 8.17 Superb 8-8-8-8-9
GK
Kevin Lefebvre GK 99% 26 - 7.88 Very Good 7-9-8-9-8
DR Unh Tim Smith D RC 90% 25 - 7.68 Superb 8-8-7-8-7
- Unh Derek Quinn M LC 92% 23 4 7.52 Superb 7-8-8-8-7

Championship standings:
Pos Inf Team
1st
Leeds
26 17 4 5 59 23 +36 55
2nd
Sunderland
26 17 4 5 50 24 +26 55
---

5th
Sheff Utd
2614753718+1949
---

23rd
Cardiff
26 3 5 18 19 52 -33 14
24th
Bradford City

26 3 3 20 17 54 -37 12

Last edited by 3ric : 12-27-2004 at 03:39 AM.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:29 AM   #43
3ric
College Starter

January 2007

I was voted first runner-up for the Manager of the Month. Derek Quinn's goal at Rotherham became second-best in the Goal of the Month voting.

Sanderson reject my first contract offer, but leaves a little room for further negotiations. I offer a £34K salary.

At home vs Millwall, Derek Quinn is back but play to the left to cover for Berry. Kavanagh and Singh is in the middle with Rogeau on the right. Wilkinson and Sanderson are the two attackers. In the beginning of the second half, the defense is caught out of position and Millwall takes the lead. Ten minutes later we tie the score as Quinn hits a cross right at the head of Jamie Sanderson, who's having a great game despite having bruised ribs. Final score: 1-1.

Sanderson wants an even higher salary - I raise my bid to £41K a month. After he rejected even that, we're at the end of the line with a £50K offer.

I start to look for a new striker to bring in on free transfer if we are going to lose both McLean and Sanderson.

For the FA Cup game vs Ipswich, we get back not only Wildish, but Berry and Mike Bates also return to the starting eleven. The confidence is restored to the squad and we take the lead as soon as in the fifth minute when Singh frees Sanderson on a long pass. Ipswich's Jamie Wilson tie the score on a long shot ten minutes later. Nuno gives Ipswich the lead in the 30th minute. A long pass in the second half frees Wilson, who beats our offside trap to score his second goal of the game. Bates is brought off for Jenkins, but our best efforts aren't leading anywhere today. Final score: 1-3.

I can't offer Sanderson any more money, but I increase the signing fee and lower the amount for the release clause in hopes that'll put us through. In the end, we cancel negotiations as he's not willing to compromise to his terms. He's transfer listed and offered to several interested clubs.

Now we get the news that defenders Tim Smith and Mike Watson have been having at it during training. The scuffle is said to have been caused by Smith and his apparent dislike for Watson. Wonderful.

A day later, a story in the media reports that the two players have "patched up [their] differences" and that their working relationship is improving.

We play QPR on the road with both Smith (from the argument with Watson, do doubt) and Mathisen injured. Unfortunately, the ruckus seems to have wrecked our team spirit. We play lousy in a crushing defeat where almost no one performed up to their normal standards. Final score: 0-4.

We complete signings of two League One strikers - Swindon's Bob Dickinson and Mark Devine from Crewe. They'll both join the club on the 1st of July.

We are trying to recover from the smarting loss to play third-placed Wolves at home, and I pay close attention to morale when picking a starting eleven. Strikers Bates and Sanderson is dropped along with keeper Lefebvre and much of the defense. We start with Morris in goal, Watson, Wright, Colin Quinn and Jamie Jackson in defense, and with Kemp and McLean up front. The midfield remain the same with Berry, Derek Quinn, Singh and Wildish. At the beginning we get one of the signature runs from Wildish to set up a mad scramble in the opponent's box. But the positive start is soured by the Wolves scoring on their first opportunity. Luckily we get right back at them with a thunderous shot from Derek Quinn to tie the score. Final score: 1-1.

Jenkins suffered a groin strain in the game after coming on as a substitute. He'll be out of training for about two weeks.

Two U-18 players have been called up to their respective national teams - ML Nathan Townsend for Grenada and MC Stuart Thomson for Canada. Townsend is 17 and Thomson is just 16 years old.

For the game vs first-placed Leeds, we have Lefebvre back in the goal even though his morale just barely is improved - Morris, the backup, is even further in the dumps. Grima plays at left defense with Watson in the middle. We gamble with an unhappy Bates up front as he'll probably do better than the slow-footed McLean anyway. Berry gets injured after only 12 minutes and Peters comes on. Leeds' John Carter scores in the 20th minute for them to go ahead, although we aren't lacking opportunities ourselves. Derek Quinn in particular had a great chance when he came through one-on-one with their keeper. The team works hard at it and gets their reward in the 55th minute when Kemp heads home a cross from Peters. We take off Bates for Sanderson even though he's had a good game. Leeds take the lead in the 74th minute and we start trying to respond. Final score: 1-2.

Graeme Berry did come down with a bad injury - fractured ribs, and he's out four weeks! Ouch. We are already demoralized, out of form and now hit by injuries as well. Things could go better.

I respond to media questions about the injury with saying that it's a loss but we have adequate cover for him.

Top performers:
MR
David Wildish AM/F RC 93% 26 (2) 4 8.04 Good 9-8-6-8-7
GK
Kevin Lefebvre GK 100% 30 - 7.70 Poor 8-6-6-6-8
S2 Unh Tim Smith D RC 100% 27 - 7.63 Poor 7-8-7-7-7
MC Unh Derek Quinn M LC 90% 28 5 7.43 Superb 7-7-6-7-8

Championship standings:
Pos Inf Team
1st
Leeds
30 20 4 6 67 28 +39 64
2nd
Sunderland
30 18 6 6 55 29 +26 60
---

7th
Sheff Utd
30 14 9 7 40 26 +14 51
---

23rd
Nottm Forest
30 4 8 18 19 49 -30 20
24th
Bradford City
30 4 3 23 19 63 -44 15
Old 12-29-2004, 03:31 AM   #44
3ric
College Starter

February 2007

Our weak month is apparent from the awards - for the first time, we are shut out completely from the top three in every category. The board remain delighted with me, however.

The string of difficult games continue as we face Bolton, currently in 6th place, at home. Peters play to the left, Rogeau inside with Quinn and in defense we have Mathisen and O'Connor back. Bolton score at the end of the first half, and we're not creating many chances today. Final score: 0-1.

Next blow to our hopes are a training injury to Wildish - he has a cheekbone fracture that will keep him away for three weeks.

At home against at Preston, we are in dire need of a win to avoid slipping too far behind. Preston score a goal after the halftime break and clam down for the rest of the game. We create only four shots at goal the entire game. Final score: 0-1.

Away at Norwich we start Sanderson at forward together with Bates in hopes we'll create more scoring opportunities. Sanderson at his best is a wonderful deep threat and from the opening kickoff he goes downfield while Bates are trailing a bit further back. Colin Quinn recognizes that Sanderson wants the ball and hits a terrific long pass right in his path. The striker receives the ball and turns away from the defender in one moment - the next moment he has scored on a low shot in the far corner. The whole thing, from start to end took all of 19 seconds! But our fragile confidence takes a beating once more when Norwich equalizes a couple of minutes before halftime. The situation takes a turn for the worse when Peter Peters receives a second booking and is sent off after 61 minutes. Sanderson goes down to play on the right wing a while until he's substituted in the 78th minute for Leon Knight. Jenkins comes on at the same time for Bates. Final score: 1-1.

More bad news - Quinn has a groin strain and Sanderson a sprained wrist. We're now officially in the hunt to bring in another midfielder, most likely a free agent. The first one to come in is Czech left winger Miroslav Kolar, who has 8 caps for the national team.

Kolar is quickly signed for a low fee and barely has time to practice with the team before he starts at left wing in the game at Sunderland. Once more we get off to a quick start, with Bates and Jenkins combining well with the latter setting up the former to score in the second minute of the game. We're up by two after 13 minutes when Kavanagh frees Jenkins with a lovely through ball. We can't stay ahead with that much, however - Sunderland reduces the lead to one on a goal by Griffiths in the 28th minute. Sunderland chases hard for a tying goal and finally gets it in the 56th minute. We're deeply in a funk as the home team is first, second and third in every challenge and controls the ball in every phase of the game. It's just a matter of time until they take the lead with a third goal. Rogeau and Kolar are tired and has to come off when we go for some roughhouse tactics. That doesn't do much good as we let in a fourth ball in the net. Final score: 2-4.

Bolton makes an offer for defender Tim Smith, but it's only worth £900K, with as little as £110K up front. Rejected!

Leeds make a bid for Derek Quinn, which looks to be £1.6 mil at face value, but in reality it's only £875K up front with incentives worth £775K including a 40% next sale clause. Not acceptable, but since Quinn desires to leave, I negotiate for better terms.

The next game is at home vs Stoke, 12th in the Championship. Paterson and Watkins from the reserves help to fill out the starting eleven. Stoke's Nijholt scores after 18 minutes and we lack that necessary creative spark in the midfield to change the scoreline. Final score: 0-1.

Now Bates is pouting about his hindered development at this level and expresses a desire to leave. Hull enquire about the price for reserves defender Jamie Jackson, who's transfer listed.

Just when I started to think it couldn't get worse...

Top performers:
-
David Wildish AM/F RC 89% 27 (2) 4 8.03
GK
Kevin Lefebvre GK 91% 35 - 7.60
- Wnt Tim Smith D RC 100% 28 (1) - 7.59
- Wnt Derek Quinn M LC 80% 31 5 7.42

Championship standings:
Pos Inf Team
1st
Leeds
35 23 5 7 79 31 +48 74
2nd
Wolves
35 20 10 5 51 20 +31 70
---

9th
Sheff Utd
35 14 10 11 43 34 +9 52
---

23rd
Nottm Forest
35 5 9 21 24 56 -32 24
24th
Bradford City
35 4 3 28 21 78 -57 15
Old 12-29-2004, 06:51 AM   #45
3ric
College Starter

March 2007

The board is very pleased with my performance, but it should be noted that their view of me has taken a hit lately.

Again we're held out of any awards of the positive sort. If there was an award for unluckiest manager of the month, then I'd surely be a contender.

Hull has made a £45K bid for Jamie Jackson, which I accept.

We play Portsmouth at home, with as close to a regular lineup I can manage. Quinn is playing despite being only 86% recoverd, and Peters isn't suiting up as he got injured in training the day before. We start well, Bates score after six minutes, and we have a great chance as Mathisen hit the post after a goalmouth scramble. I start breathing easier when Sanderson extend our lead in the 19th minute. We go three up shortly before halftime as Mike Watson score on a header - his first goal ever for the Blades. Bates score his second of the game in the 55th minute. We substitute Berry for Kolar and slow down the pace. Final score: 4-0.

I sit down once again with striker Sanderson, and find that his wage demands has gone down, giving me an opportunity to offer a £42K salary. I also take a moment to praise Mike Bates, whose tally is now up to 16 goals in 30 league games.

Tim Smith made the Team of the Week. Supporters of the club chime in to tell the media how much they think of the striker, and the media comments on him is well deserved.

Sanderson accepts the terms of the new contract and signs for three more years. Jackson signs for Hull and leaves the club.

Next game is away at Watford, with the identical starting lineup from last game, with the only addition is midfielder Rogeau on the bench instead of Kolar. It's a close game, with an possession advantage to the home team but about equal in scoring chances. Still nil-nil at halftime. Then Watford score in the 57th minute and we throw caution to the wind. Only 11 minutes later we get the tying goal on Rogeau's cross to Bates, who headed it in from short range. Our rotten luck continues though - Wildish gets sent off following a second booking. We shuffle the midfield and leave Bates alone up front. Final score: 1-1.

As striker Bates scored his 20th goal for the season (17 league, 3 cup) he has set a new club record.

Defender Alan O'Connor is reported as absent from training today. He's given an official warning for unprofessional behaviour. He accepts the warning without comment.

We have been looking for another quality defender to steady things at the back. Currently we're looking to bring in Australian national Nick Cassar, but uncertainty about his work permit force us to look for an alternative.

My hunch was right - two days later we get word that Cassar's application for a work permit has been denied. Apparently he hasn't been in enough games for Australia in the last two years. We appeal the decision, but also go ahead with a transfer for Aston Villa defender Paul Watson.

At home vs Bristol City, we are without the suspended David Wildish, but carry on with a small turnover in personell. We push ahead from the start and get a quick goal through Berry after he came first onto a superb cross from the right and Rogeau. In the second half we score again through Sanderson, once again after nice thinking by Rogeau, whose shot was saved by their keeper but left a rebound. Kavanagh and Kemp are coming on for Singh and Sanderson before we pull back and call it a day. Final score: 2-0.

The Paul Watson might fall apart on the negotiation table as the defender are seeking a £100K salary - twice as much as I can afford to pay any one player. I offer him £41K to see if he'll meet me halfway.

Now Tim Smith has been absent from training. This guy might be more trouble than I need. Smith, in fact, accepts his warning and says all the right things in a public apology.

My attention turn to a Neil Phillips of Stockport, whose contract is expiring. I can sign him, but decide to offer his club £300K right now. Paul Watson declines my offer.

Leeds repeat their shameless bid for Quinn from last month - no money up front, half tied into monthly payments and the rest due after 50 league games. I scoff at their offer and return a counter-bid with £1.5 mil over the counter, and £325K in incentives. They decline a day later.

Wildish is back for the home game vs West Ham, and so is Peters, who begins on the bench. After our star right winger made a lively start to the game with several signature twists and turns, things cooled off. That was when we took the lead on a long corner which Derek Quinn met on the opposite side of the box. His half volley shot went right up in the top corner of the net. West Ham's Zawadzki score a tying goal after the half-hour. Quinn and Wildish have to go off, and we bring on Peters and Rogeau. Two minutes left in regulation, we counter attack on the right side as Smith hits a ball into the open for Peters to run on. The midfielder turns inside and fools the keeper with a tap-in at the near post. Final score: 2-1.

Stockport reject my first offer for Phillips, I raise the bid to £525K. Tim Smith requests to be placed on the transfer list, which maybe is for the best.

Our second offer for Phillips is accepted, and his contract demands are very reasonable.

Bates apparently gets an idea from Smith's request for transfer, and pipes up with a request on his own. I reluctantly agree, at least to show I'm not unreasonable. Norwich immediately calls with an enquiry about how much I'd like to sell him for. £2.6 mil would be acceptable, I decide.

The next day Norwich calls again - this time to make a £1 mil bid for Tim Smith. I have no choice but to accept as it meets the minimum fee clause that was in his contract.

On the other hand, we finalize the deal that will bring Neil Phillips over. He was thought to be another piece to improve our defense, not to replace a member of it, but I'm happy to have him.

The latest player to request transfer is important midfielder Derek Quinn.

Top performers:
MR Yel David Wildish AM/F RC 72% 31 (2) 4 8.00
GK
Kevin Lefebvre GK 99% 40 - 7.58
MC Yel Derek Quinn M LC 64% 36 6 7.44
ML
Graeme Berry AM LC 77% 31 (1) 3 7.41

Championship standings:
Pos Inf Team
1st
Leeds
40 25 8 7 90 36 +54 83
2nd
Wolves
40 23 11 6 61 23 +38 80
---

9th
Sheff Utd
40 17 11 12 53 40 +13 62
---

23rd
Nottm Forest
40 6 10 24 27 65 -38 28
24th
Bradford City
40 5 5 30 26 87 -61 20
Old 12-29-2004, 09:57 PM   #46
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Man, them rats are a-leavin' the ship like crazy.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:13 AM   #47
3ric
College Starter

April 2007

The board remains very pleased with my performance, and I think the last month where we gained 10 points in five games, stabilized their confidence in me.

We have scouted a young Italian defender, Christian Scala, who would make a good addition to the team for next season.

We're playing Cardiff on the road, just the kind of game I've come to fear the most - a bottom-tier team fighting for their survival. We have to play at their intensity level and not back down. We get lucky after 25 minutes when Wildish takes a free kick close to the touch line and a defender who's trying to head the ball away instead sends it into his own goal. Then Mike Watson fouls an opponent in the penalty area, but luck is still with us as the taker blasts it over the bar. But when John Singh is sent off I have to admit that the luck has run out. Six minutes later, Cardiff draws level as the defense fails to clear a rebound from Lefebvre. Three minutes from the end, both teams are down to ten players as a Cardiff player gets red-carded as well. Final score: 1-1.

Lefebvre, Wright and Peters all are selected to the Team of the Week.

Czech midfielder Miroslav Kolar is said to have trouble settling in the area.

The FA disciplinary committee has reviewed the situation when Singh got sent off, and tacked on an extra game to his suspension. He apparently elbowed the Cardiff player in the face.

At home vs last-place Bradford City, we start Rogeau and Peters in place of Singh and Wildish, who has suffered an injury in training. Additionally, we start new signee Phillips in the middle and move Watson outside. Some quick thinking by Graeme Berry allows striker Sanderson to control the ball inside the box and shoot past the keeper for our opening goal. Lefebvre almost committed a capital error when he misjudged a rush outside the box for a loose ball - he couldn't control it and lost possession. Luckily, the hurried shot from the Bradford attacker was well outside the goal. We replace Quinn for Kavanagh, but later has to find a replacement for Kavanagh as well when he was helped off the pitch. Holt went on, and Rogeau was left to handle defensive duties. Final score: 1-0.

Kavanagh will be out for about two weeks with a groin strain.

Away at Wigan, we create lots of shots in the first half, but the aim are always a little off and does little to test their goalie. We replace Peters and Sanderson after 71 minutes and still no goals. Holt and Jenkins comes on. Finally, in the 86th minute, we capitalize on a quick break where Rogeau on the right centred the ball to Holt, who crossed over to Berry coming in from the left. His shot from the edge of the area didn't look unstoppable and the keeper likely gave it away too easily. Final score: 1-0.

The win lifted us to 7th place, just outside the playoffs with one spot left to contend for. Unfortunately, the odds seems slim as we're trailing QPR with six points.

Derek Quinn isn't fully recovered in time for the game at home vs top team Ipswich, and we're also starting James Morris in goal as Lefebvre is bothered by a bruised shin. The third replacement is young Colin Quinn who's been outside the first team for a while now and now starts at right fullback instead of Wright. Leon Knight and David Paterson from the reserves complete the bench. Ipswich attacks from the very beginning and gets two quick goals from Barnett in the 14th and 22nd minute. We try to respond and create some pressure but suffers a severe setback at the beginning of the second half when Watson fumbles away possession as the last man, thus setting up Ipswich for an easy score. The fans are leaving early and I can't say I blame them. Final score: 0-3.

QPR secures a point in the 2-2 tie with Stoke and officially takes the last playoff spot, eliminating our last chance.

28-yr old AMC David Paterson reveals being unsettled about not being part of the first team. I promote him and will give him a closer look in the future.

For the away game at Reading, we get back Lefebvre, Derek Quinn, Wildish, Singh and Matt Wright. Sanderson gives us the lead after 20 minutes on a brilliant pass from Bates. Reading tie the score seven minutes later when an attacker beats our offside trap. Final score: 1-1.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:19 AM   #48
3ric
College Starter

May 2007

Right-back Matt Wright was third in the voting for Young Player of the Month.

The final game of the season is at home vs already relegated Nottingham Forest. We'll play for pride and to be ahead of Reading and Portsmouth in the standings. Wildish gets on the scoresheet for the first time in months when he heads in the cross from Quinn. Bates extend our lead in the 64th minute and our lead isn't threatened in any way. Final score: 2-0.

Wolves win the Championship title, Ipswich finish second and also gains promotion. Cardiff and Nottingham are relegated to League One.

We get a little consolation by the news that the Sheff Utd U18 team has won their division.

Defender Phillips are called up to the Welch national team.

We get word that the transfer budget this coming season will be in the region of £1.8 mil, but the wage budget has been cut to £375K a month.

I give the reserves midfielder Thorvald Jacob Petersen an offer of £117K for mutual termination of his contract. He accepts immediately.

Leeds Utd win the third and last spot for promotion to the Premier League.

Keeper Kevin Lefebvre and midfielder Derek Quinn both was picked for the Players' Championship Select team. David Wildish didn't win Goal of the Year, but he took both second and third place with two long range shots, one vs Millwall in August and the other vs Portsmouth in October.

Blackburn Rovers are offering me £1.8 mil for Derek Quinn. I negotiate for £1.9 mil to see if there's some leverage.

Norwich makes a bid for Mike Bates, and I ask for inclusion of an additional incentive clause, which would take the overall value to £2 mil.

Blackburn agree to my demands, and we start to finish up the deal. I'm also in talks with Nottingham for the rights to defender/midfielder Peter Costello. He's expensive, but would give us a tremendously talented player. Norwich withdraw their offer for Bates.

Top performers:
MR
David Wildish AM/F RC 100% 34 (2) 5 8.00
GK
Kevin Lefebvre GK 100% 45 - 7.62
MC
Graeme BerryAM LC 100% 37 (1)
4 7.47
ML
Derek Quinn
M LC 100% 41 6 7.46

Championship standings:
Pos Inf Team
1st C Wolves
46 27 12 7 69 25 +44 93
2nd P Ipswich
46 26 15 5 66 29 +37 93
5th P Leeds
46 26 9 11 94 42 +52 87
---

7th
Sheff Utd
46 20 13 13 59 45 +14 73
---

22nd R Cardiff
46 10 12 24 46 79 -33 42
23rd R Nottm Forest
46 6 10 30 29 78 -49 28
24th R Bradford City
46 7 7 32 34 95 -61 28
Old 12-30-2004, 12:14 PM   #49
daedalus
Pro Rookie

After that, you just got to get a player name Abbott!

I love those versatile players. They seem to be far more locked into their "natural" position (ie, someone being rated as defender/midfielder but is really a more natural defender and so perform fairly poorly when played as a midfielder) in the CM4 engine than in the CM3 engine to me but I don't know if that's just perception or not.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:54 PM   #50
3ric
College Starter

There's one player named Abbott in my universe - Portsmouth's 18-yr old striker, valued at £4.2 mil. I'd be ecstatic if I could get him, he's on my shortlist now.

Versatile players are nice, he's a D/DM/F RC. I'll try playing him at different positions during pre-season to see if he does better at some specific position.