Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-14-2010, 09:48 AM   #101
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Netflix To Delay All New Releases for Fox, Universal and Warner Bros.
by Elisabeth Rappe Apr 13th 2010 // 11:02AM

Oh, Netflix. Things were so good between us, and now you've gone and messed things up.

Back in January, Netflix users had a good reason to be upset, as the Internet-based rental service struck a deal with Warner Bros and Redbox that would delay renting new studio releases by 28 days. While all of us who love their Instant Watch option rejoiced at the new offerings it would open up, you still had to admit it was a lousy move. Ostensibly designed to encourage more sales of Sherlock Holmes, all it did was encourage at least one class action lawsuit alleging that it's a restraint of trade.

But it gets better! According to Tech Dirt, Netflix has now struck identical deals with Fox and Universal. While they claim to be the winners -- since they will get access to Fox and Universal libraries for instant streaming, and Universal is giving them a discount on products -- it's a move that will prove very unpopular with customers. The only real winner is Blockbuster, who doesn't have to delay new releases, and will be the place people run to when they aren't going to wait 28 days to rent Avatar. Pirates will also benefit, as many might just go on to their favorite bit torrent and download the movie for free.

It's a lousy move. I love Instant Watch, but I don't think it's fair to expect customers to wait a month for any major studio release. (If your Netflix distribution is like mine, you'll end up waiting two or three months as a studio delay turns into a Very Long Wait!) As we've all pointed out numerous times, if someone likes the movie, they'll buy it. Few buy DVDs sight unseen, and I fail to see how it's really going to boost flagging DVD sales. It may even hurt them as people wait for Netflix to cough up a release. What it's going to do is jeopardize a very successful and innovative company, anger customers, and prop up the dying giant that is Blockbuster that much longer.

Will you consider canceling your Netflix subscription over these delays?

I don't have an account now, but it sucks that basically every new release will now be delayed by 4 weeks.

Last edited by stevew : 04-14-2010 at 09:49 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:54 AM   #102
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I just noticed this recently. Since I am usually so far behind on my movie watching, I rarely look to get any new releases from Netflix. I had "Sherlock Holmes" in my que and noticed the release date (4/27), but then saw it in a store and was confused. Now it makes sense.

I agree with the post you quoted. The very few DVDs that I do buy are always of movies that I have seen and know I want to own (e.g., Watchmen, Zombieland). Movies I haven't seen, I will rent first. Always.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:58 AM   #103
wade moore
lolzcat

This has no impact on me as I rarely, rarely get to movies that quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:31 AM   #104
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
This has no impact on me as I rarely, rarely get to movies that quickly.

What he said.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:42 AM   #105
Subby
lolzcat

I love it. Instant watch is so great that I rarely bother getting movies mailed to me any more. We have been holding on to the same movies for over a month. Very excited that this will open up the way for more titles.

What does it matter if you have to wait another 30 days?
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:48 AM   #106
Swaggs
Coordinator

I have had Entourage Season whatever, disk whatever for about six months now.

I use the instant watch on Roku far, far more than the actual disks. And, yesterday, I got my Wii disk for instant watch (haven't installed it yet), so I'm looking forward to having it available on two TVs now.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:49 AM   #107
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
What he said.

/tk

+1

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:51 AM   #108
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I'm so far behind on movies that this doesn't affect me so, instead I'll just get mock mad and piss and complain about how I'm done with Netflix and will never go back because they are restricting my freedom of speech, blame Obama and say this is just another example of global warming.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:51 AM   #109
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
What does it matter if you have to wait another 30 days?

I really have no problem with it. Like I said earlier, I am very much behind the times.

I have had "The Hurt Locker" sitting on my shelf since around January/February?

With NHL playoffs starting tonight, I likely wont get around to actually watching it until June.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:05 AM   #110
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

I typically bump my new releases up to # 1 if it is something I want to see- my new release date is whatever Netflix has, I'm not going to change to blockbuster and I'm not gonna buy the DVD- I'll just wait another 4 weeks, no big deal.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:18 AM   #111
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I don't have an account now, but it sucks that basically every new release will now be delayed by 4 weeks.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest. I probably only get 8-10 movies a year by mail, if that. I have more to watch on Instant Watch than I could ever hope to get around to watching. My daughter uses it on a daily basis and I use it at least 3-4 times a week. We get our value there.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:29 AM   #112
Easy Mac

What is on the Watch Now that people really love watching? Every time I've been on Netflix, there has been nothing on the Watch Now that has remotely interested my wife and I. Either we've seen all of the interesting movies, or its stuff we have no interest in (and I watch almost anything). The last time we had Netflix was when my wife was bedridden during pregnancy. The only thing she could find to watch instantly was old law and order SVU episodes.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:35 AM   #113
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Doesn't bother me in the slightest. I probably only get 8-10 movies a year by mail, if that. I have more to watch on Instant Watch than I could ever hope to get around to watching. My daughter uses it on a daily basis and I use it at least 3-4 times a week. We get our value there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
What is on the Watch Now that people really love watching? Every time I've been on Netflix, there has been nothing on the Watch Now that has remotely interested my wife and I. Either we've seen all of the interesting movies, or its stuff we have no interest in (and I watch almost anything). The last time we had Netflix was when my wife was bedridden during pregnancy. The only thing she could find to watch instantly was old law and order SVU episodes.

That's why this is good to me - it is supposed to open up more recent movies to watch instantly.

If I could do it all on Watch Instantly, I'd be a happy man - even if I have to "wait" 4 more weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 12:08 PM   #114
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Not a big deal for us either. There's so much on Watch Instantly that we're willing to wait the extra month. Nothing's gonna change in our movie watching/renting. If we really, really want a movie, we'll buy/rent it (usually on amazon.com so we can watch it on our Roku), or if it's a "must watch", we'll watch it in a movie theater. There aren't that many movies we'd watch at a theater anyway, so... no biggie.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 12:11 PM   #115
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

I have a three year old and a 4 month old child. There's at least 3 years of movies that I totally missed in addition to lots of Showtime series that I didn't get. I'm also a huge sucker for the documentary section. I love watching random documentaries about various topics. Those things will keep me busy for a long time.

It's also fantastic with my three year old. It can get expensive to buy kids movies. I open up the kids queue on the computer or PS3 and she knows that all she has to do is click the 'blue button' to pick a movie. She watches whatever she wants while we get to watch TV.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 12:14 PM   #116
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'll believe the "enhanced" watch it now section when I see it.

I'm not sure if this deal is with RedBox, but I'm sure they will sign something similar. For instance, I read the book the Blind Side. I want to watch the movie, but I'm sure as hell not going to buy the Blu Ray. I still don't think it's out in RedBox yet.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 12:17 PM   #117
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

This page has influenced a lot in what we put on our Q: http://feedfliks.com/streaming

Last edited by Dodgerchick : 04-14-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 12:19 PM   #118
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:

I've been watching a lot of the Discovery Channel shows like Extreme Engineering and Mythbusters. Lots of movies for the kids on there, and I've seen a few suggested movies that I missed the first time around. Plus some old favorites that I never bought the DVDs for that are fun to watch again, like Sneakers, or movies my wife likes to watch a ton, like Innerspace.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:41 PM   #119
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

My instant queue right now:

Barry Lyndon
The Office: Series 1
The Office: Series 2
American Gothic: The Complete Series
Slaughterhouse Five
Charlie Chaplin: The Forgotten Years
Full Metal Jacket (Seen it, but my wife hasn't)
Helvetica
Rory O'Shea Was Here
Californication: Season 1
Hoop Dreams [i](Seen it, but it's been a long time)[.i]
Man on Wire
The Tudors: Season 1
Donnie Brasco
King Corn
Letters from Iwo Jima
The Producers
Eddie Izzard: Glorious
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Broken Flowers
The Last Temptation of Christ
Defending Your Life
Word Wars
Outsourced
Enlighten Up!
Food, Inc.
The Jacket
Seven Samurai
Wanda Sykes: Sick & Tired
Syriana
Heat
The Meaning of Life: Special Edition
Spartacus: Blood and Sand
Kathy Griffin: She'll Cut a Bitch
Louis C.K.: Chewed Up
Kurt & Courtney
Comic Book Confidential
The Guild: Seasons 1 & 2
Robin Hood: Season 2
Weeds: Season 4
Weeds: Season 3
Year One
Rescue Me: Season 1
Party Down: Season 1
The Village Barbershop
A Scanner Darkly

Old 04-14-2010, 01:40 PM   #120
path12
Coordinator

Ms. path keeps our queue. My picks never seem to arrive.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:52 PM   #121
DataKing
Pro Rookie

I too have been using the Instant Queue alot more than the actual DVD rental portion of Netflix. Been watching a lot of TV series' that way lately.

lordscarlet: Defending Your Life is a great little movie, quite underrated. and Party Down is absolutely hilarious! One of the funniest series I've seen in a long time.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:23 PM   #122
SteveMax58
College Starter

Yeah, I just signed up for Netflix about a month or so ago knowing this would be the case. Really doesnt matter to me for the price I pay.

I'm using both Instant & DVD mailing pretty regularly. Just got 2012 yesterday and will watch that sometime this week (likely Friday). I have so many catchup movies in my Instant & DVD queues that I always have something worth watching. Really couldnt be happier with my Netflix subscription.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:32 PM   #123
Butter
Coordinator

Since we're all apparently so happy with our Netflix subscriptions, no doubt they'll be jacking up the price or doing something stupidly restrictive with them in short order.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:40 PM   #124
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
I too have been using the Instant Queue alot more than the actual DVD rental portion of Netflix. Been watching a lot of TV series' that way lately.

lordscarlet: Defending Your Life is a great little movie, quite underrated. and Party Down is absolutely hilarious! One of the funniest series I've seen in a long time.

My wife keep saying that about Defending Your Life -- it's possible I saw it years ago and just don't remember, though.

Party Down is also something she added to the queue -- I have no idea what it is. But she heard it was good.

I don't bother actively adding anything to my Watch Instant Queue unless I get down to less than two full pages on the TiVo. There are probably a lot of other good things I could add that are out there. The moral is basically this: It is great for documentaries and tv shows. Not so good at new releases.