Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-08-2009, 01:38 PM   #151
bhlloy
Coordinator

I would add that May has a reputation as a guy who has a screw loose and isn't afraid to cheapshot somebody (see Kim Johnsson of the Wild in the 07 playoffs) if he feels a message needs to be sent.

He's not a great fighter at all anymore but in terms of "encouraging" people not to take runs at Detroit's star players or take a few extra shots after the whistle he's probably still pretty good value for the reason above.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:19 PM   #152
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
3 games into this season and the best player has been Matt Carle. He's really improved from last year and him being paired with Pronger allows him to take more chances in the offensive zone. His play in his own end has improved also.

Emery gave up 5 goals but the defense left him out to dry on 3 of them. I am cautiously optimistic with him. Losing Betts for a month will hurt because that 4th line is actually decent. Betts and Laperrier are good on the PK and eat minutes that Richards and Carter had to last year. That'll make those two fresher.

We'll see how much they've improved again tonight. In my mind the Pens are still the team to beat in the East.

Penguins were garbage last night. They didn't even show up vs Phoenix.

10 penalties, both goals scored on the PP for the Coyotes (then the empty netter). Brent Johnson got the start and played pretty well-- to give Fleury off with tonight at Philly in mind.

Is the crowd booing Crosby yet?
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:43 PM   #153
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I would add that May has a reputation as a guy who has a screw loose and isn't afraid to cheapshot somebody (see Kim Johnsson of the Wild in the 07 playoffs) if he feels a message needs to be sent.

or, you know, put a bounty on someone's head
Old 10-08-2009, 05:45 PM   #154
Galaxy
Coordinator

Sabres host the Coyotes after five long days from it's season opener.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:59 PM   #155
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post

Is the crowd booing Crosby yet?

Actually no. They were all at the Phillies game, got a call today that there were still 500 tix available. But I'm sure since the Phils lost, all the fans will be in a great mood tonight and will shower the Pens with nothing but love.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:06 PM   #156
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

So that was actually pretty good game...until the final 5 seconds.

Richards does his best Georges Laraque impersonation, then Hartnell does his Mike Tyson.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:58 PM   #157
samifan24
Pro Starter

The Bruins played a great 20 minutes tonight. Unfortunately they forgot to show up for the last 40 minutes and lost 6-1. Two ugly losses in the first three. It's still early, though, and the Bruins get the Islanders and Colorado the next two games.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:10 AM   #158
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Boy, the Oilers have deserved better so far this season as they lost in a shootout tonight after the Flames tied it up with 1.5 seconds to go. They've also had several goals bounce off of their own players...I believe they've had one in each of their first three games.

Also lost Souray to a concussion after Iggy's stick got tangled in Souray's skate and they both went into the boards hard and awkwardly.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:43 AM   #159
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
So that was actually pretty good game...until the final 5 seconds.

Richards does his best Georges Laraque impersonation, then Hartnell does his Mike Tyson.

If Letang stuck his fingers in his mouth, then Hartnell should have bit him. And if you are taking Staggy's words for it, well...you know what I am going to say about that.

Comparing what Richards did to Laraque??? There was no sliding...it wasn't even that bad. He was driving to the net.

I asked this to another one of my Pens fan friends...how can a team be so good yet have such whiny fans, and I'm referring to the Pens?
Old 10-09-2009, 10:41 AM   #160
Travis
Pro Rookie

I can't wait to see Souray get a hold of Iginla. Be a hell of a lot more entertaining than watching Moreau step up, fall down, then eat a few shots with the linesmen in the way.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:31 PM   #161
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
The Bruins played a great 20 minutes tonight. Unfortunately they forgot to show up for the last 40 minutes and lost 6-1. Two ugly losses in the first three. It's still early, though, and the Bruins get the Islanders and Colorado the next two games.

What a terrible 2nd and 3rd period! They are not exactly firing out of the gates, but I think they can right the ship over the next couple of games. I'm really interested to see Tuuka play tomorrow.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:33 PM   #162
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I was glad to see the Wings finally win one, but they really only looked like the Wings for about a half of a period. The rest of the game the Hawks were really taking it to them. They were dictating the game and the pace of the game. In most games the last few years the Wings would be the ones dictating the play and carrying the puck the majority of the time. Granted, Chicago is a very good team, but it will be interesting to see how things come together this year.

So, I guess Chris Neil and Jason Spezza got into a slashing fight at practice today. Clearly the leadership void created by the Danny Heatley trade is beginning to take effect.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:11 PM   #163
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Holy crap!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=294301
Old 10-09-2009, 02:15 PM   #164
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:

Not a big surprise really. Graham James is a douche of epic proportion. Just ask Sheldon Kennedy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:31 PM   #165
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

This rumour has followed Fleury for much of his entire career. I wonder if things would have ended differently for him had he acknowledged it earlier (in the sense that it may have spiritually freed him and given him strength to fight those demons then)?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:38 PM   #166
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Selishly, I wish Theo had stepped up years ago so Sheldon kennedy wouldn't have had to stand up to it alone but who the hell knows how I'd react in a similar situation. Good for Theo for turning things around. I would like to give that book a read. This despite the fact that seeing him with that flaming C for crap of his jersey still makes me want to puke.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:54 PM   #167
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Ouch.

The Wings' road this year just became considerably tougher.

Johan Franzen is out 4 months with a torn ACL.

Red Wings' Johan Franzen out four months with torn knee ligament | Detroit Red Wings - - MLive.com
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 10-09-2009, 03:09 PM   #168
yacovfb
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Comparing what Richards did to Laraque??? There was no sliding...it wasn't even that bad. He was driving to the net.

I'm not sure of the Laraque reference y'all are talking about so I can't compare it to that, but I did see the play last night. It wasn't too bad, definitely worse though than merely driving to the net as most people driving to the net stop where the goalie is.

What I don't get is this - Flyers fans, among others, get on Crosby for being a whiner, taking dives to draw penalties, etc. WTF was Richards doing last night? Dude crashes the crease, hits his arms on the goalpost and then curls into a ball holding his head? It was so exaggerated it was like like Rodney Dangerfield yelling "aw, my arm...I think it's broken" in Caddyshack.

Last edited by yacovfb : 10-09-2009 at 03:10 PM.
yacovfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:14 PM   #169
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yacovfb View Post
I'm not sure of the Laraque reference y'all are talking about so I can't compare it to that, but I did see the play last night. It wasn't too bad, definitely worse though than merely driving to the net as most people driving to the net stop where the goalie is.

What I don't get is this - Flyers fans, among others, get on Crosby for being a whiner, taking dives to draw penalties, etc. WTF was Richards doing last night? Dude crashes the crease, hits his arms on the goalpost and then curls into a ball holding his head? It was so exaggerated it was like like Rodney Dangerfield yelling "aw, my arm...I think it's broken" in Caddyshack.

Do a youtube search for George Laraque slide tackle Biron. You'll see.

I agree with Richards, but that's seems to be the M.O with this league more and more.

No suspension for Hartnell. He said the following:
Quote:
“[Letang] had me in a headlock, his free hand was in there, and I can’t tell you what happened but I definitely didn’t bite him,” said Hartnell after practice this morning at the Virtua Center Flyers Skate Zone. “I know he was complaining like he did, but his bare hand was scratching my face and hands were everywhere.”

Edit: I don't think Crosby does it as much as when he first came into the league. To be honest the guy didn't bitch at all in the playoffs.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 10-09-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:22 PM   #170
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Ouch.

Red Wings' Johan Franzen out four months with torn knee ligament | Detroit Red Wings - - MLive.com

Yeah I just saw this. Not good. Not good at all.

Quote:
Old 10-09-2009, 04:27 PM   #171
DeToxRox
Head Coach

With Franzen out I am wondering how they decide to do the lines now. Babcock loves Fil's line but he'd make most sense to move up to the 2nd line and then have Helm center the third line. That's a big responsibility for Helm though. I could see Abdelkader moved to the 2nd line for a while to put a big body who can skate with Dats and Holmer also.

I am intrigued to see how it pans out as much as it sucks.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:50 PM   #172
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

The Richards thing I don't think was all that bad, but he certainly didn't try pulling up. It wasn't as intentional as Laraque's, but it's not like he was following the puck- the defenseman in front blocks the original shot.

Take this opinion with a grain of salt-- listening to NHL on XM, they had Pierre McGuire, who I think we can all agree is a huge fan of whatever the flavor of the week is, on the morning show. He loves Crosby, he loves Richards, he loves Ovechkin.

He said he's known Letang since he was still in juniors, and he's never been anything but an honest kid, and he can't see him making this up.

As far as saying Letang stuck his fingers in Hartnell's mouth...not sure what to say. Letang is pushing the net of it's moorings, with Richards in the net, and Hartnell tackles him from behind. I can think of alot of reactions from Letang, but dropping his gloves and sticking his fingers in Hartnell's mouth isn't one of them.

He's not going to get suspended, there is no clear evidence.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:32 PM   #173
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Not smart enough to embed the file

YouTube - Pittsburgh Penguins vs Philadelphia Flyers 10-08-2009 Last Seconds and Tanger Injury

At the 2:00 mark, it's a different angle than I had previously seen.
Sure looks like Richards intends to make contact. I sure he was off balance/Kunitz shoved him/the wind was blowing, but he leans into Fleury.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:33 PM   #174
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

On a lighter note, this is pretty good

Old 10-11-2009, 03:29 PM   #175
bhlloy
Coordinator

Apparently Bettman met with Quebec City officials about moving a team back to Quebec as the Nordiques? That would be freaking awesome, would love to see any of the 3 (Hartford, Winnipeg, QC) get "their" team back and all the old school rivalries that come with it. Putting the second team back in French Canada would be an added bonus, and the uniforms are also the best in the NHL IMO.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:34 PM   #176
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Apparently Bettman met with Quebec City officials about moving a team back to Quebec as the Nordiques? That would be freaking awesome, would love to see any of the 3 (Hartford, Winnipeg, QC) get "their" team back and all the old school rivalries that come with it. Putting the second team back in French Canada would be an added bonus, and the uniforms are also the best in the NHL IMO.

My question becomes...what team?

Clearly Bettman's not interested in moving the Yotes.

BTW, nice win for the Ducks last night, huh? Good to come back. Man, to get that tie goal with 16 secs left. Dr. Sak's probably still mad about that.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 04:11 PM   #177
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yotes will have to move, Bettman knows this. He's saving face by not letting the Balsillie bid win but with a team bleeding that much money (and they could be the worst team in the league this year, that's not going to help) and no interested buyers in sight, they have to go somewhere. I also think one of the Florida teams moves in the next 3-5 years.

Unbelievable game last night, just an incredible tying goal from the open net save and keep in the zone by Getz to the ridiculous saucer pass from Niedermayer to the finish. Selanne looks really good so far and Hiller looked much better than his first start as well.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:18 PM   #178
samifan24
Pro Starter

I'm afraid Bettman will never bring the Whale back to Hartford.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:26 PM   #179
Logan
Head Coach

Starting to get excited about this Rangers team...
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:01 PM   #180
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Starting to get excited about this Rangers team...

Yeah, good game for the Rangers. The Ducks were playing awful. Only took 18 shots. Don't know if maybe having to play an afternoon game after an overtime night game the night before had anything to do with it, but, hey, not like New York is all that far away from Philly.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:06 PM   #181
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
BTW, nice win for the Ducks last night, huh? Good to come back. Man, to get that tie goal with 16 secs left. Dr. Sak's probably still mad about that.

I heard it was a great play by Getzlaf to keep the puck in. I listened to it on the radio. I wish the Flyers would've held on but Anaheim is one of the best if not the best team in the west. So I'm not that upset.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:15 PM   #182
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

This is pretty classic on the Letang- Hartnell case.

Cherry's comments...I don't really expect anything of value there anymore.

But McLean's summary at the end- GOLD

YouTube - Don Cherry talks about Scott Hartnell's Bite
Old 10-11-2009, 09:22 PM   #183
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

If Letang had his finger in Hartnell's mouth, he deserved to get it bitten.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:29 PM   #184
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

We could go back and forth for ages, but it is funny that while there is no video evidence of the bite truly happening, Cherry is certain it is because Letang put his fingers in Hartnell's mouth.

Hundreds of players a year get facewashes or hangs in their face after the whistle, but from what I can remember, only two-- Hartnell and Ruutu (last season?)-- have been accused of biting someone.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:34 PM   #185
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I'm just making a general statement. I don't know if he bit him out right, if Letang had his fingers in his mouth and he bit him, or when they got slammed to the ice his jaw got jammed shut and he bit him there.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:01 PM   #186
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Ouch.

Ouch...Looking forward to the Wings-Sabres game Tuesday. Miller has been stellar in net (and the defense). I just hope our offense and powerplay can actually convert our high shot count into goals.

19-year-old rookie Tyler Myers is looking like he might develop into one the league's top defensemen. Already is showing he is the best on the team right now.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:44 PM   #187
samifan24
Pro Starter

Hey, Bruins lost to the Avalanche. Awesome start to the season!
Old 10-12-2009, 04:44 PM   #188
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Hah. I like Chelios, but he really needs to hang up his skates.

Chris Chelios, 47, works out with AHL's Chicago Wolves - ESPN Chicago

My favorite part of the story:

Quote:
The 47-year-old Chelios said he wants to help his chances of "getting back in the NHL someday."

Quote:
Old 10-12-2009, 04:48 PM   #189
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Hah. I like Chelios, but he really needs to hang up his skates.

Chris Chelios, 47, works out with AHL's Chicago Wolves - ESPN Chicago

My favorite part of the story:

I say, more power to him.

If he loves the game that much, why should he stop playing? It's not like he's going to tarnish his career. Everyone knows what Chelios was in his prime and know that he's not quite the same player, but still can add some value. I think his NHL days are pretty much numbered, but if he wants to give it a shot, I say "go for it."

Good luck, Chris Chelios. Thanks for your time as a Wing and I hope you make it back to the NHL.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:43 PM   #190
bbor
Pro Starter

I agree...if he is not embarassing himself then i say more power to him.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:44 PM   #191
bbor
Pro Starter

Dola....Leafs are so desperate for a goal they have Jamal Mayers on the PP.

Oh lord help me.

Bruins should enjoy their lottery pick.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:46 PM   #192
bbor
Pro Starter

Triple dola..of course as i say that the Leafs score.2-1 NYR

Old 10-12-2009, 06:59 PM   #193
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Ouch...Looking forward to the Wings-Sabres game Tuesday. Miller has been stellar in net (and the defense). I just hope our offense and powerplay can actually convert our high shot count into goals.

19-year-old rookie Tyler Myers is looking like he might develop into one the league's top defensemen. Already is showing he is the best on the team right now.

Which means stupid Darcy doesn't extend him on time and gets backed into a Vanek-contract again... Darcy needs to go!

Myers is looking good, I think when he was down on the ice last game he was trying to draw a penalty. I don't really buy his "I got the wind knocked out of me" when he was laying listless.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:11 PM   #194
Logan
Head Coach

Rangers put up a 4 spot in the 3rd to beat TOR 7-2.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:12 PM   #195
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

What worse...the Leafs or Coyotes??
Old 10-12-2009, 09:30 PM   #196
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
What worse...the Leafs or Coyotes??
Leafs. At least Coyotes fans won't have to put up with this shit for more than another year or two.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:40 PM   #197
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Flames/Blackhawks game on Versus has been great. The Flames storm out to a 5-0 lead only to see the Blackhawks storm back and tie it up at 5-5. There was a span of a few minutes in the second period where the Blackhawks scored 3 goals to make 5-4.

Iginla, sensing the tide turning, drops the gloves and fights Brower right after the face-off following the 4th Blackhawks goal. He handles himself pretty well and settles things down for his team for at least the rest of the second period. That sequence right there is why there is no sport better than hockey.

And the Blackhawks just won it in overtime: 6-5.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:40 PM   #198
watravaler
High School JV

LMAO at Calgary

Last edited by watravaler : 10-12-2009 at 09:40 PM.
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:41 PM   #199
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Leafs. At least Coyotes fans won't have to put up with this shit for more than another year or two.

Thank god the Yotes did'nt move to Hamilton.I could'nt stand to watch that much shit hockey.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:51 PM   #200
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post

Thank god the Yotes did'nt move to Hamilton.I could'nt stand to watch that much shit hockey.