Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-25-2009, 11:59 AM   #251
bhlloy
Coordinator

Great job by Panthers players of skating around with their heads down and their thumb up their asses after Mike Richards absolutely destroyed the best young player in their organization and possibly ended his season. It's only October and you are already mailing the season in and playing for yourselves? Good job. Somebody had to take over for the Kings now the Kings are decent and actually playing with some backbone.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 12:03 PM   #252
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

how about them Avs?
Old 10-25-2009, 03:22 PM   #253
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
how about them Avs?

The Avs and Bronocos both supposed to suck, both playing lights out.

Love the way the 18 year olds are playing. Still worried about depth and consistent offense, but Andersen is playing great and we finally have some young talent again.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:03 AM   #254
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
The Avs and Bronocos both supposed to suck, both playing lights out.

Love the way the 18 year olds are playing. Still worried about depth and consistent offense, but Andersen is playing great and we finally have some young talent again.

In other news, the Wings are continuing their free fall into NHL mediocrity. I am hoping things will pick up, but with injuries and the salary cap finally catching up to us, the future is looking cloudy right now.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:55 PM   #255
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Nothing in here about the Richards-Booth hit?

As an avowed Flyers hater...tough to pin that on Richards. The only problem I have with it is it was a head shot. But, currently, it's not illegal.

Richards has been portrayed as a new-age Bobby Clarke, playing right on the edge, and maybe sometimes going over it. But I don't think there was anything intentional about that hit. He catches Booths shoulder, and it's not even a discussion.

Now, him running Fleury a few weeks back...different story.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:05 PM   #256
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Richards/Booth is no different than any number of other hits we've seen over the years. Vicious, dangerous, and legal according to the rulebook.

If the NHL doesn't want hits like that, they can change the rules. But they don't.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:20 PM   #257
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah pretty clean IMO by the book, Booth has his head down at Richards shoulder . Down to the Panthers to stop players making those kind of hits on their star players not the league. Shame the Panthers are a bunch of pussies.

Ruutu on Tucker and Ott on Crombeen not so much.

Most interesting hit of the weekend was Scuderi on Chimera... personally i'm in the "clean hit, unfortunate outcome" camp because if Chimera doesn't land on his head nobody even mentions it. But it's worth bringing up because I'm not sure I've ever seen somebody go that low to finish a check before.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:34 PM   #258
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Most interesting hit of the weekend was Scuderi on Chimera... personally i'm in the "clean hit, unfortunate outcome" camp because if Chimera doesn't land on his head nobody even mentions it. But it's worth bringing up because I'm not sure I've ever seen somebody go that low to finish a check before.

Don't those two contradict each other? I know I'm biased here, but that's nonsense. On top of that, we end up on the PK after that situation, because Dorsett was in the middle of a line change, and then came back out to challenge Scuderi. How Scuderi didn't get called for something is incredible.

Of course, Scuderi doesn't want to go (and doesn't either, later in the game, when Umberger challenges him). If you have the gall to go low on someone, at least answer the bell.

Here's the video:

Last edited by TurnerONU22 : 10-26-2009 at 07:37 PM.
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:50 PM   #259
bhlloy
Coordinator

Well if you can show me the bit in the penalty book that specifically makes it illegal to go low on a hip check, then yeah I guess I am contradicting myself. I honestly have no idea, I don't even know which penalty you would call right there.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:21 PM   #260
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Nothing in here about the Richards-Booth hit?

As an avowed Flyers hater...tough to pin that on Richards. The only problem I have with it is it was a head shot. But, currently, it's not illegal.

Richards has been portrayed as a new-age Bobby Clarke, playing right on the edge, and maybe sometimes going over it. But I don't think there was anything intentional about that hit. He catches Booths shoulder, and it's not even a discussion.

Now, him running Fleury a few weeks back...different story.

Booth was bent over. What's Richard's suppose to do go even lower? That's pretty much the same hit Scott Stevens gave to Eric Lindros (and others) and those were deemed legal.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:03 PM   #261
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Booth was bent over.

Hmm...Richards is gay?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:07 PM   #262
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Booth was bent over. What's Richard's suppose to do go even lower? That's pretty much the same hit Scott Stevens gave to Eric Lindros (and others) and those were deemed legal.

I am agreeing with you. 100% legal.

I just don't understand the NHLs reluctance to make all headshots illegal.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:10 PM   #263
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Dola

The weird part of the whole thing, Booth looks over at Richards as he's approaching the blueline, about 3 seconds before the pass. I don't know if he expected Richards not to follow through or what. But he looks back, makes the pass, and gets crushed.

Booth being an American, I am waiting for Don Cherry to ask what Booth was doing with his head so close to Richards' shoulder to begin with.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:17 PM   #264
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Well if you can show me the bit in the penalty book that specifically makes it illegal to go low on a hip check, then yeah I guess I am contradicting myself. I honestly have no idea, I don't even know which penalty you would call right there.
That reminds me of the good ole days when I was 4' and playing against kids who had hit puberty. Hip/shoulder checked at least 2 below the waist and got them to flip over me. Don't recall ever getting a penalty.

I know in lacrosse it's legal to check that low - you just never see it because it's such a desperate sell-out move your team is screwed if you miss at all. I don't see why hockey rules would be different, and I don't think they are.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 10-26-2009 at 09:18 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:20 PM   #265
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

Official Rules - Rule 45: Clipping - NHL.com - Rules

Quote:
45.1 Clipping - Clipping is the act of throwing the body, from any direction, across or below the knees of an opponent.
A player or goalkeeper may not deliver a check in a “clipping” manner, nor lower his own body position to deliver a check on or below an opponent’s knees.
An illegal “low hit” is a check that is delivered by a player or goalkeeper who may or may not have both skates on the ice, with his sole intent to check the opponent in the area of his knees. A player or goalkeeper may not lower his body position to deliver a check to an opponent’s knees.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:32 PM   #266
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Got him on the thigh. Legal.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:47 PM   #267
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Kovalchuk out for a month with a broken bone in his foot
Old 10-27-2009, 11:37 AM   #268
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
a.k.a. "The Darcy Tucker Rule".
Old 10-27-2009, 12:11 PM   #269
bbor
Pro Starter

Leafs get off the shnide...woohoo...CR can't be happy.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:12 PM   #270
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
Leafs get off the shnide...woohoo...CR can't be happy.

So, uh, when's the parade?*

*Sorry. It had to be said.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:00 PM   #271
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Keep forgetting to chime in on the Wings, so here goes:

The team's lack of ability to hold leads is nuts (5 games with blown leads so far) but I am going to assume that eventually gets fixed since defense is Detroit's biggest strength.

On offense, Z and Dats not scoring is hurting the the team as much as anything. Obviously they'll pick it up and I am sure a nice 7-3 type stretch will follow.

Goaltending has been okay. Not bad, not great, just okay. Not much help a lot of the time, but then when they do have help they let a weak one slip.

Overall I think we'll be a 4 - 5 seed, and a threat if Ozzy steps up in the playoffs.

Not time to panic yet, though if we get 2-3 weeks more into the year and are playing like this, then I'll be more concerned.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:05 PM   #272
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post

The team's lack of ability to hold leads is nuts (5 games with blown leads so far) but I am going to assume that eventually gets fixed since defense is Detroit's biggest strength.

On offense, Z and Dats not scoring is hurting the the team as much as anything. Obviously they'll pick it up and I am sure a nice 7-3 type stretch will follow.

Goaltending has been okay. Not bad, not great, just okay. Not much help a lot of the time, but then when they do have help they let a weak one slip.

Overall I think we'll be a 4 - 5 seed, and a threat if Ozzy steps up in the playoffs.

Not time to panic yet, though if we get 2-3 weeks more into the year and are playing like this, then I'll be more concerned.

I agree with you for the most part, but I am probably a bit more worried about things. We have not looked good at all in most of our games, and if not for some great saves by Osgood, we could have lost to Chicago and Washington earlier in the season as well.

The funny part is when I hear the morons already yelling for Babcock to be fired. Like he has anything to do with injuries, subpar defense/goalie play, the salary cap, and Zetterberg/Datsyuk forgetting how to score.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:14 PM   #273
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

That pretty much sums up my feelings as well.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 10-28-2009, 08:31 PM   #274
Galaxy
Coordinator

Sabres beat Devils 4-1 and improve to 7-1-0-1. Miller has to the best goalie in the league so far this year.

Last edited by Galaxy : 10-28-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 05:07 AM   #275
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Sabres playing really well so far. It seems like they backed off after they got the 2 goal lead then pushed a little harder in the 3rd. Would have like a more consistent effort but a good road win.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:34 PM   #276
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

News and notes

Malkin out 2-3 weeks, shoulder injury. Most likely, John Leclair broke into his house and assaulted him, because that's the only guy who's been able to knock out Malkin since he entered the league.

Crosby with a hattrick vs the Habs last night. Crosby has 3 career HTs...and two came on 10/28. 2009 vs Montreal and 2006 vs. Philly (the 3rd coming in the playoffs last year when he and Ovechkin both had hattys)

Chris Kunitz scored his first of the year...and 2nd in 41 games, including playoffs!
Old 10-29-2009, 07:38 PM   #277
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Dola

In a totally absurd move...the Flyers recall RandyJones from the AHL, subjecting him to re-entry waivers. He is claimed by the Kings...leaving Philly on the hook for half his salary for the remainder of the season ($1.375M, less prorating for the 10-12% of the season played so far).

I don't understand this. AT ALL.

Jones was stashed in the minors to keep his $2.75M cap hit off the books. By recalling him, they are burning that $1.375M space with no player to show for it.

Sak, is there something I am missing? I know Gagne might be hitting LTIR, but that shouldn't effect Jones.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:20 PM   #278
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

After a rather forgettable weekend for the Oilers, the welcome the Wings to town by busting out of a three game goal scoring slump...5-2 after 2...and, yes, Penner is leading the way with a goal and 3 helpers thus far.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:56 PM   #279
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
After a rather forgettable weekend for the Oilers, the welcome the Wings to town by busting out of a three game goal scoring slump...5-2 after 2...and, yes, Penner is leading the way with a goal and 3 helpers thus far.

What have you done.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:07 PM   #280
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

I know...I feel shame. But, it was nice to see them score a friggin' goal...it had been a long time!!!
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:23 PM   #281
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Well, the Wings lost in the shoot out. They always seem to lose those things. Still, given that it was 4-0 and 5-1 at one point, I will gladly take the point.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:08 AM   #282
Galaxy
Coordinator

Sabres make it official that Tyler Myers will not be returning to the juniors and is staying in the NHL.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:33 AM   #283
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Sabres make it official that Tyler Myers will not be returning to the juniors and is staying in the NHL.

Is that a surprise?He's been one of the best rookies in the NHL this season.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:38 AM   #284
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Is that a surprise?He's been one of the best rookies in the NHL this season.

If it was any other team, no. But the Sabres management? It shouldn't be, but you have to hold your breath.

Last edited by Galaxy : 10-30-2009 at 12:39 AM.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:45 AM   #285
bbor
Pro Starter

In Darcy we trust?

I noticed the sabres sched for the next 5 weeks and they only play saturday and wednesdays.That's f'd up.Who made the schedule this year?

The Leafs played 2 games in 2 weeks and this week they play 5 games in 7 nights.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:49 AM   #286
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
In Darcy we trust?

I noticed the sabres sched for the next 5 weeks and they only play saturday and wednesdays.That's f'd up.Who made the schedule this year?

The Leafs played 2 games in 2 weeks and this week they play 5 games in 7 nights.

Darcy, Larry Quinn (the big boss), and even Lindy at times.

They play Friday, Saturday, and Wednesdays for the next 5 weeks (as they play Toronto tomorrow).

I don't know. The Sabres have a strange schedule. They opened the season on Saturday, then have to wait until the next Thursday to play game 2. The Sabres are tied with Atlanta for playing 9 games, the fewest in the league so far.

Last edited by Galaxy : 10-30-2009 at 01:04 AM.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:46 AM   #287
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Well, the Wings lost in the shoot out. They always seem to lose those things. Still, given that it was 4-0 and 5-1 at one point, I will gladly take the point.

Filppula out for 8 weeks with a broken wrist. This season is quickly turning into a lost cause.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:20 AM   #288
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Sak, is there something I am missing? I know Gagne might be hitting LTIR, but that shouldn't effect Jones.

Gagne could be done for the year. Plus the Flyers are at 49 contracts, so they couldn't really sign anyone now because they'd be at 50 and not be able to make any more deals.

It was a chance they took, I'm not really worried because with Gagne's money gone that'll more than make up for Jones' loss of cap space. They have caps space and it isn't like there is a FA out there or even a trade out there that will next the Flyers someone over 4 million.

I am not happy with this but not really upset.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:56 AM   #289
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Edmonton people.

Do you guys know who was doing the color or play-by-play for the Edmonton v. Colorado game the other night?

One of the two kept doing these god awful puns. Over and over again with this horrible delivery. Who was that? He needed to be punched. Hard.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:14 PM   #290
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Edmonton people.

Do you guys know who was doing the color or play-by-play for the Edmonton v. Colorado game the other night?

One of the two kept doing these god awful puns. Over and over again with this horrible delivery. Who was that? He needed to be punched. Hard.

I'm assuming you're referring to Craig MacTavish's illegitimate son, Gene Principe.

And yes, Princess needs to be put removed, permanently. We've been putting up with his crap for entirely too long around here. He's a ridiculous moron who is only entertaining when he interviews Dustin Penner because Penner will pretty much tell him how much of an idiot he is without Principe really catching on to the fact that he's getting verbally assaulted.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:15 PM   #291
Travis
Pro Rookie

Dola, and if it wasn't Principe (as he usually doesn't do color or PbP, just segments during periods/interviews with coaches on the bench/etc), well I probably just don't notice this other guy because he would pale in comparison to the train wreck that is Princess every time he's on the mic.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:54 PM   #292
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I'm assuming you're referring to Craig MacTavish's illegitimate son, Gene Principe.

And yes, Princess needs to be put removed, permanently. We've been putting up with his crap for entirely too long around here. He's a ridiculous moron who is only entertaining when he interviews Dustin Penner because Penner will pretty much tell him how much of an idiot he is without Principe really catching on to the fact that he's getting verbally assaulted.

I think it was him. Almost positive now.

It was awful. So very, very bad.

Ron MacLean delivers witty puns at the end of Coach's Corner that are generally amusing. Gene Principe's puns aren't just bad, his delivery is awful.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:11 PM   #293
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Filppula out for 8 weeks with a broken wrist. This season is quickly turning into a lost cause.

Eh, if you think a team with Dats, Z and Lidstrom can't sustain at least a 6-8 seed pace until they're healthy I dunno what to tell you.

Wings should have everyone back for the playoffs, and if that's the case, I don't care where they're seeded, they will be able to do damage if they play their game.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:24 PM   #294
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Eh, if you think a team with Dats, Z and Lidstrom can't sustain at least a 6-8 seed pace until they're healthy I dunno what to tell you.

Wings should have everyone back for the playoffs, and if that's the case, I don't care where they're seeded, they will be able to do damage if they play their game.

I would tend to agree with you if we had decent goaltending. Howard looks awful most nights and ditto for Osgood. We don't have the scoring like last year to cover up defensive/goaltending mistakes, and it is showing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:57 PM   #295
Pyser
Pro Rookie

hahaha, way to have faith in your STAR STUDDED BEEN AWESOME FOR 15 YEARS TEAM, romagoth

try looking around the league and think about how good you have it. season a lost cause? calm down, brother.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:06 PM   #296
Travis
Pro Rookie

Any chance the Wings give the Canadiens a call about a goalie?
Old 10-30-2009, 02:12 PM   #297
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Any chance the Wings give the Canadiens a call about a goalie?

I think our best option for a backup right now is Daniel Larsson who is currently the starter in Grand Rapids. It seems like he was the better of the tandem he had with Howard up there last year and might make the most sense to try.

Ozzy is the goalie though, so we'll see how that works.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:10 PM   #298
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Gagne could be done for the year. Plus the Flyers are at 49 contracts, so they couldn't really sign anyone now because they'd be at 50 and not be able to make any more deals.

It was a chance they took, I'm not really worried because with Gagne's money gone that'll more than make up for Jones' loss of cap space. They have caps space and it isn't like there is a FA out there or even a trade out there that will next the Flyers someone over 4 million.

I am not happy with this but not really upset.

I saw that about Gagne, but I don't see how that would affect or necessitate recalling Jones, other than, if a move is coming to get a replacement for Gagne, that would have been contract #50.

In which case, don't you dump a guy making $500K and eat that contract before you eat $1.375?

As far as salary cap space, I don't believe it's a dollar for dollar opening to replace Gagne. This is the best I could find.

http://nhlscap.com/cap_faq.htm#calc_cap

Quote:
LONG-TERM INJURIES
A player is considered to have a bona-fide long-term injury if, in the opinion of the team, the player has an injury which will cause him to miss at least 10 games and 24 days. Even in such cases, the player's salary will continue to count against the team's Upper Limit. This is mentioned at least three times in the CBA, and is repeated in Article 50.10(a):
All Player Salary and Bonuses paid to Players on an NHL Active Roster, Injured Reserve or Non Roster that are Unfit to Play – being either injured or suffering from an illness – shall be counted against a Club's Upper Limit, Actual Club Salary and Averaged Club Salary, as well as against the Players' Share.
For players that the team has filed an LTI exception, the team is allowed to exceed the cap by up to the amount of the injured player's salary with as many replacement players as needed, provided that when the injured player is activated the team comes into compliance with the cap immediately. The team does not get to automatically tack on the amount of the injured player's salary to the Upper Limit - an example as illustrated in Article 50.10(d) of the CBA illustrates this point:
(a)Illustration: A Player with a Player Salary of $1.5 million becomes unfit to play for more than 24 days and 10 games. At the time the Player becomes unfit to play, the Club has an Averaged Club Salary of $39.5 million, and the Upper Limit is $40 million. The Club may replace the unfit-to-play Player with another Player of Players with an aggregate Player Salary and Bonuses of up to $1.5 million. The first $500,000 of such replacement salary and bonuses shall count toward the Club's Average Club Salary, bringing the Averaged Club Salary to the Upper Limit. The Club may then exceed the Upper Limit by up to another $1 million as a result of the replacement salary and bonuses. However, if the unfit-to-play Player once again becomes fit to play, and the Club has not otherwise created any Payroll Room during the interim period, then the Player shall not be permitted to rejoin the Club until such time as the Club reduces its Averaged Club Salary to below the Upper Limit.

So, what I get from that is #1 better be certain they are shutting down Gagne for the season before making a move and #2 the replacement player won't be making $5M, or whatever Gagne's salary is

Does JVR get that spot for now?
Old 10-30-2009, 04:13 PM   #299
MikeVic
Head Coach

I thought Osgood was a Hall of Fame goalie or something?

( )
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:07 PM   #300
Galaxy
Coordinator

Rather crappy game by the Sabres. Thank god Miller played great and Toronto left their brains at home with all the dumb penalties.

Last edited by Galaxy : 10-30-2009 at 09:07 PM.