Quote:
My early prediction for the most annoying video montage:
Lebron highlights fused with JayZ's "Empire State of Mind"

hahahahaha...
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:22 PM   #3
stevew
Hall Of Famer

For the non fans-that is the Song with the Alicia Keys hook "Now you're in New York, New York, NeW York"
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:24 PM   #4
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Kickass song even though I have a bad feeling bout this.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:28 PM   #5
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I played it after you said it. LOL.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:39 PM   #6
Groundhog
Coordinator

I'm more excited than I usually am about the start of the season, and I'm a big NBA fan.

A lot of strong teams this year on paper in both conferences.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:42 PM   #7
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Ah yes, the part of the year where a Clippers fan can still have hope. I believe it was right around now this time last year that I was pointing out to stevew how much talent we had.

And I was right. We had a lot of talent. The problem was, stevew was right that they were injury prone and, well, still the Clippers, and still coached by Mike Dumbleavy. Ugh.

I think we have even more talent this year. So I am not saying a damn word.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 10-15-2009 at 11:42 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:10 AM   #8
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

As a Warriors fan, this season's already had a huge LOL factor. I can't wait to see what else comes about.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:59 AM   #9
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Big Lakers fan here hoping for the back-to-back.

Phil Jackson hasn't won a title without following up with 2 more. Alas, there's always a first for everything.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:46 PM   #10
Radii
Head Coach

NBA on traveling: Two steps are better than one - ESPN

Quote:
In March, NBA vice president of referee operations Joe Borgia told TrueHoop's Henry Abbott that referees had long been instructed to ignore the rulebook on this point and allow two steps.

On a conference call with reporters earlier this week, NBA executive vice president of basketball operations Stu Jackson told Abbott: "Based on Joe's comments, when you had a conversation with Joe, we did in fact tweak the language on traveling in this year's book."
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:04 PM   #11
whomario
Pro Starter

I thought this was a joke when first reading it on some lesser known nba page but apparently it´s not, freaking unbelievable ...

Next couple FIBA tournaments should be fun once they adjusted to the 2-step rule and have to unadjust on the fly. Rest assured they´ll be watched even more closely now

Hoping on a good year for oden, hoping for a good rookie campaign for Curry and a ressurgence of the Suns with a fine last run for 7 seconds or less, other than that will be following the Blazers and Rockets who have lots of likeable role players likely to play some very old school ball with a likely PPG Ratio of 80 for both teams, don´t let last night fool you as it was against the Raptors.

Last edited by whomario : 10-16-2009 at 06:07 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:15 PM   #12
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

With all the media love for the Cavs and Celtics it will be fun watching Orlando win the East again, and not so fun watching them lose to the Lakers in the finals again.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:17 AM   #13
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Getting really excited to see how DeMarre Carroll does at Memphis. The coaches have been really happy with his play. He's been putting up better numbers than Thabeet in less minutes.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:23 AM   #14
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Ah yes, the part of the year where a Clippers fan can still have hope. I believe it was right around now this time last year that I was pointing out to stevew how much talent we had.

And I was right. We had a lot of talent. The problem was, stevew was right that they were injury prone and, well, still the Clippers, and still coached by Mike Dumbleavy. Ugh.

The Simmons "kick off the NBA season" article on ESPN/Page 2 shares your sentiment. He has them in the playoffs this year and actually had nice things to say about Dunleavy (well, sort of).
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:01 AM   #15
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Pistons will be 7th in the NBA in scoring and end up as a 7 or 8 seed, if not miss the playoffs altogether, as they feature perhaps the worst defense in Detroit sports. Think about that for a second.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 03:11 PM   #16
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Pistons will be 7th in the NBA in scoring and end up as a 7 or 8 seed, if not miss the playoffs altogether, as they feature perhaps the worst defense in Detroit sports. Think about that for a second.

How do you figure? Frankly I think we're in for a long year. We have no front court period. Gordon's going to get his 20+ a night off the bench but who else is going to score? Rip's going to have to share minutes whether he wants to or not so I would be surprised to see him score as high as he used to. I think we're lucky to be 8th in the conference. Orlando, Cleveland, Boston are the top 3 for sure - Chicago, Washington (assuming Arenas stays healthy), Atlanta I would put in front of Detroit. Then you've got Philly, Toronto, Miami and Detroit for those last two spots. I have to say if all parties are healthy I don't like Detroit's chances in that race. I put Detroit more on par with Indiana and even they might be better than the Pistons if Hibbert continues to develop.

I hope I'm wrong but I have a hard time seeing it. We traded Billups and blew up the team chemistry last year to get a bunch of cap space and then promptly blew it on a 6th man and a guy who couldn't even get significant minutes with a bad Milwaukee team and said bad Milwaukee team didn't even bother to offer him a qualifying offer so they could match an offer.

I'm going to say it right now Rip + Gordon is not going to work - somebody has to go between Rip and Tayshaun so we can get a big man. A team with Kwame Brown, Chris Wilcox and an aged Ben Wallace manning the middle isn't a playoff team.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:13 PM   #17
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski View Post
How do you figure? Frankly I think we're in for a long year. We have no front court period. Gordon's going to get his 20+ a night off the bench but who else is going to score? Rip's going to have to share minutes whether he wants to or not so I would be surprised to see him score as high as he used to. I think we're lucky to be 8th in the conference. Orlando, Cleveland, Boston are the top 3 for sure - Chicago, Washington (assuming Arenas stays healthy), Atlanta I would put in front of Detroit. Then you've got Philly, Toronto, Miami and Detroit for those last two spots. I have to say if all parties are healthy I don't like Detroit's chances in that race. I put Detroit more on par with Indiana and even they might be better than the Pistons if Hibbert continues to develop.

I hope I'm wrong but I have a hard time seeing it. We traded Billups and blew up the team chemistry last year to get a bunch of cap space and then promptly blew it on a 6th man and a guy who couldn't even get significant minutes with a bad Milwaukee team and said bad Milwaukee team didn't even bother to offer him a qualifying offer so they could match an offer.

I'm going to say it right now Rip + Gordon is not going to work - somebody has to go between Rip and Tayshaun so we can get a big man. A team with Kwame Brown, Chris Wilcox and an aged Ben Wallace manning the middle isn't a playoff team.

I don't think being a 7th or 8th seed is good. I am just saying the team will probably score a lot but give up a whole lot more then it scores.

I'm with you this team is awful, but the East is still not that deep so the Pistons can sneak in to the playoffs.

Joe has done a terrible job constructing a team, but that is how it goes.

I mean, Stuckey and Gordon are going to be expected to play D together for 20 or so minutes a night.

How scary is that?
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 05:34 PM   #18
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I can't wait until I get to see Shack O Neal on my favorite team
Old 10-25-2009, 05:25 PM   #19
Groundhog
Coordinator

Steve Blake beats out Andre Miller for the starting PG spot in Portland. Bit of a shock, but with how much Roy handles the ball, maybe not a massive surprise. Does Miller get traded now? His contract matches up very nicely with Shane Battier...
Old 10-25-2009, 05:32 PM   #20
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I am really nervous about the ankle injury that has kept Derrick Rose out of the entire preseason.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 05:45 PM   #21
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
I am really nervous about the ankle injury that has kept Derrick Rose out of the entire preseason.

So am I. He's a key player on both of my fantasy teams.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:48 PM   #22
TroyF
Coordinator

Stop bashing Joe Dumars. He has built up one hell of a team. The team in Denver.

Denver has Carmelo because Dumars drafted Darko.
Denver has Billups instead of AI last year or the garbage FA out there this year.
Denver has a major upgrade over Dhaney Jones with Afflalo.

BTW, Pacers fans, you'll despise Jones within the first two weeks. He's simply horrible. Horrible. He does good against Paul for one series and people think he's the greatest defensive stopper ever.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:58 PM   #23
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

started a fantasy league, kind of short notice

Yahoo Fantasy Basketball - Front Office Football Central
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:26 PM   #24
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

Location: Osaka, Japan via Honolulu, Hawaii via Birmingham, Alabama
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that the Atlanta Hawks upset somebody and make it all the way to the Eastern Conference Finals.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:49 PM   #25
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Stop bashing Joe Dumars. He has built up one hell of a team. The team in Denver.

Denver has Carmelo because Dumars drafted Darko.
Denver has Billups instead of AI last year or the garbage FA out there this year.
Denver has a major upgrade over Dhaney Jones with Afflalo.

Joe's lost it - the Afflalo trade was stupid. I thought we got a steal when we picked him. He's going to have a long, productive career as a 4th-7th man who plays good defense and does some scoring.

The Billups trade wouldn't have been so bad if he would have a) let Iverson come here and play like Iverson wants to play b) would have taken the next step and sent Rip packing instead of giving him an extension and c) not blown all the cap money on two players who didn't even get offers from their own teams.

The Darko thing...I've said it before and I will be consistent. If I was drafting that day I would have passed on Melo too and I still don't think that was a bad move. I would have taken either Darko or Bosh. Of course knowing what we know now there's no way in hell anyone would have taken Darko there but it's hard to pass on a 7 foot 18 year old who had a ton of hype especially when you already have a championship level team and you can afford to sit on a guy for two years maybe before you really need much out of him. Of course the fact that Wade, Bosh, Melo and others were drafted behind them really makes that pick look bad but that's just how it worked out that it happened to be the biggest bust in one of the best drafts ever.

Bottom line is that Joe started reading the headlines about what a genius he was and then started outsmarting himself. Now we're an afterthought in a fairly weak conference with our future mortgaged for Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva...yeah, we're screwed.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:56 PM   #26
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
BTW, Pacers fans, you'll despise Jones within the first two weeks. He's simply horrible. Horrible. He does good against Paul for one series and people think he's the greatest defensive stopper ever.

I think Jones' reputation on D is derived from the fact that he clearly puts 100% effort on the defensive end each possession, while being pretty passive on the other end.

Indivdually he's not a particularly great defender. He did a fairly good job on Kobe in the playoffs, but he's no Battier, and is even more one-dimensional.

He looked more aggressive with the ball in the preseason, so maybe he's looking to show there's a little more to his game this season.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:00 PM   #27
Groundhog
Coordinator

On the subject of the Pacers, I'm very interested to see what kind of season Hibbert has. I thought he was destined to be an immobile stiff coming out of college considering how robotic he looked even against NCAA competition, but man, he's REALLY worked on his touch and had some fantastic games in the preseason.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:39 PM   #28
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I think Jones' reputation on D is derived from the fact that he clearly puts 100% effort on the defensive end each possession, while being pretty passive on the other end.

Indivdually he's not a particularly great defender. He did a fairly good job on Kobe in the playoffs, but he's no Battier, and is even more one-dimensional.

He looked more aggressive with the ball in the preseason, so maybe he's looking to show there's a little more to his game this season.

If he's being more aggressive, you'll hate him more. He didn't do a good job on Kobe either. Kobe destroyed him. Here are some numbers for consumption:

Last year Jones had a -9.1 Roland rating.
He had an adjusted 39% FG% on jump shots.
Opposing SG had a 58% adjusted FG% against him.
The Nuggets gave up more points per 100 possession with him on the floor than when he was off it.

Essentially, here is the deal with him:

You are dead right, you will get effort every night.
He'll blow you away with a huge dunk every now and then.
He'll fire off a cheap shot on an opposing player at times. (you be the judge on how good that is)
When he's on the court, you are playing 4-5 on the offensive end.
There are a handful of players in the league that get frustrated with his type of defense. Most of those players calm down, adjust and destroy him the rest of the game. . . but he'll get under the skin of some and they'll do some stupid things.

This is strictly my opinion:

As a 10 minute a night player on a team full of scoring options, he's good to have. As a 20 minute a night rotation player, you'd better hope everything else goes right for your team or he'll get exposed. At 4 years for 11 million dollar? I'm glad he's someone elses problem.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:40 PM   #29
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
On the subject of the Pacers, I'm very interested to see what kind of season Hibbert has. I thought he was destined to be an immobile stiff coming out of college considering how robotic he looked even against NCAA competition, but man, he's REALLY worked on his touch and had some fantastic games in the preseason.

I got a chance to see him a couple of times this preseason. He looks very, very good. I dunno, maybe 15-8? That sound right?
Old 10-25-2009, 11:42 PM   #30
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

No chance Hibbert does 15 and 8. I'd say 10 and between 6-8 rookie year
Old 10-25-2009, 11:42 PM   #31
MrBug708
Head Coach

Didnt Jones nearly foul out in a half vs Kobe in that Western Finals?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:45 PM   #32
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
I got a chance to see him a couple of times this preseason. He looks very, very good. I dunno, maybe 15-8? That sound right?

I think it all depends on how well he manages to avoid foul trouble. If he can stay on the court, 15-8 with 2 or 3 blocks a game is certainly reachable. One of the most promising young bigs in the league IMO.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:49 PM   #33
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Didnt Jones nearly foul out in a half vs Kobe in that Western Finals?

Yup. Kobe went after him and used his aggression against him. He fell for Kobe's pump fakes just about every time, which is probably the key to defending Kobe - do your best to keep your hand in his face, force him towards help defense, and don't bite on his shot fake. Courtney Lee actually did a better job than Jones IMO, especially considering he was a rookie.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:01 AM   #34
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Brook Lopez is twice the offensive player Hibbert is and couldn't reach those numbers with the Nets.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:58 AM   #35
RainMaker
General Manager

Former Celtics star Antoine Walker pursued by creditors as wealth vanishes - The Boston Globe
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:59 AM   #36
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yup. Kobe went after him and used his aggression against him. He fell for Kobe's pump fakes just about every time, which is probably the key to defending Kobe - do your best to keep your hand in his face, force him towards help defense, and don't bite on his shot fake. Courtney Lee actually did a better job than Jones IMO, especially considering he was a rookie.

Shane Battier is probably the best Kobe defender in the league. And he really couldn't stop him, just make things very, very difficult. Force Kobe to his left, never bite on pumpfakes, and keep a hand on his face at all times.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:01 PM   #37
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Brook Lopez is twice the offensive player Hibbert is and couldn't reach those numbers with the Nets.

Actually, Brook did get to the 8 boards and would have gotten to 14 if he'd have played more early in the season.

The question is really minutes. I think he'll average around 20 points per 48 minutes. (he actually averaged 23.5 points per 48 last year. At 30 minutes that's about 12.5 points (my projection of 20 per 48). At last year's production it's over 14.6 points per game. Provided he gets more minutes, I'm pretty comfortable with my scoring prediction.

The boards are where my question really comes in. Last year he was at 11.6 boards per 48. I think he can increase that a bit.

But again, it really comes down to minutes. He played 25 or more minutes in a game 4 times last year. He had 14 or more points in every game. 7 or more rebounds in 3 of the 4 games.

An offseason of practice and 25+ minutes consistently a night? I think I'll be closer than you think I am.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:57 AM   #38
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post

Griffin out for up to 6 weeks with stress fracture. This team is completely snake bit. Once Kaman goes down with inevitable injury it will be time to shut it down for the season and start thinking about that high draft pick again next year.

Last edited by bhlloy : 10-27-2009 at 12:58 AM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:23 AM   #39
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Griffin out for up to 6 weeks with stress fracture. This team is completely snake bit. Once Kaman goes down with inevitable injury it will be time to shut it down for the season and start thinking about that high draft pick again next year.

Amazing, isn't it? You couldn't make up such constant misery.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:25 AM   #40
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post

Well that sucks.

It was a hell of a dunk that he injured himself on:

YouTube - Blake Griffin-Block and sick Dunk

(embedding never works with this lousy WYSIWYG editor)
Old 10-27-2009, 06:31 AM   #41
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

It is worth noting that Bill Simmons specified in his NBA preview that if Griffin were to roll around on the court clutching a broken right ankle within three weeks, we should not mock him with copies of the paragraph he wrote in which he intimated that becoming a Clipper was one of the best things that could have happened to Griffin.

Nothing, however, was mentioned about a left kneecap. Ought to be fun to see the mail, at least.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:42 AM   #42
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Well that sucks.

It was a hell of a dunk that he injured himself on:

YouTube - Blake Griffin-Block and sick Dunk

(embedding never works with this lousy WYSIWYG editor)

Gerald "Crash" Wallace 2.0

Clippers should be exempt from the draft and trades as it´s just not fair to the players .

Simmons full preview, not much actual information but some humourous points : Bill Simmons' NBA season preview and 33 most intriguing NBA people - ESPN

btw, has anyone seen Nowitzki´s new haircut ?

Just now purchased the International League Pass , so i´m good to go for the start of the season. Can´t watch a ton live with the time difference and having to work, so that replay option is a nice option. Just have to keep clear off of sport pages during the day and watch after work.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:54 AM   #43
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Man. God hates the Clippers.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:13 AM   #44
Philliesfan980
Banned

I'm surprised nobody else commented on this story. I'm sure it's not unique. As your typical average middle class guy, comments like this make me absolutely hate professional athletes -

"Walker’s mother, Diane, said her son does not have a gambling problem. She added that “he doesn’t party any more than the next person’’ and “what you do with your life is your business.’’

“Antoine doesn’t owe anybody any explanation,’’ said Diane Walker. “He’s not out here hurting anybody. He’s trying to live his life peacefully. That’s all he’s doing . . . My son is young. Why can’t he just enjoy life, go where he wants to go?’’

AND...

"When asked about her son’s recent, well-documented financial and legal problems, Diane Walker stood stoically outside her front door. She made a sweeping gesture toward the mansion, moving her hand past a giant brick “W’’ embedded in the driveway.

“Antoine is doing great,’’ said Diane. “I have my home. He has his home. If he’s doing so bad, then how could we still be here?’’

What a POS. What a slap in the face to anyone who works for a living and struggles to do the right thing and pay their bills month to month.

Last edited by Philliesfan980 : 10-27-2009 at 11:14 AM.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:21 AM   #45
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

On the other hand, I would put dollars to donuts that Walker was taken advantage of by a lot of people. The book on him (in Boston at least) has always been that he's a big hearted guy but not too bright. Sad to say I wasn't too surprised to read the article.

Of course, I don't mean that to excuse running up debts you can't pay at all. Just makes it kind of sad, to me.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:29 AM   #46
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
On the other hand, I would put dollars to donuts that Walker was taken advantage of by a lot of people. The book on him (in Boston at least) has always been that he's a big hearted guy but not too bright. Sad to say I wasn't too surprised to read the article.

Of course, I don't mean that to excuse running up debts you can't pay at all. Just makes it kind of sad, to me.

poor toine. he never should have left boston...we would have taken care of him.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:38 AM   #47
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post

Oh I agree with you. My anger surprisingly enough isn't towards Walker, but the people who took advantage of him, namely his Mom.

Do you think his Mom told him "Hey, that's ok, I think I'll be alright with 5 bathrooms instead of 10"? Of course not.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:45 AM   #48
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

said in the story that he authorized 5 people to make charges on his credit card and it looks like most of the charges came from one of those people - so there's definately some anger to be directed towards that person too (whether it was his mom or his best friend or what)
Old 10-27-2009, 11:46 AM   #49
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

there's definately a great business opportunity here though to be like....financial advisor for professional athletes. and not to sponge money off them and embezzle it or anything, but to teach them and advise them on how to live responsibly and make sure this type of thing doesn't happen to them
Old 10-27-2009, 01:35 PM   #50
Galaril
Pro Starter

Geez bad day for Celtics fans. First, Rondo turns down the Celtics last offer and he and his agent announced he will be going to at least restricted FA. Secondly, Big Baby broke his thumb in a fight with an ole LSU teammate. so much for saving Garnett for the playoffs.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote