Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-11-2010, 09:42 AM   #1
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Clarett granted early release

I wonder if he would even get a tryout with any team.

Clarett granted early release - 21 News Now, More Local News for Youngstown, Ohio -

COLUMBUS, Ohio- Fomer Warren G. Harding and Ohio State football star Maurice Clarett was granted early release from prison at a hearing in Columbus on Wednesday.

Clarett has been in prison for three and a half years on a robbery and gun conviction.

He was released to a dormitory facility in Columbus, where he will stay for four to six months before he is released on probation.

Clarett said he plans to finish his degree and would still like to play in the NFL, saying that his time in prison has changed him.

Clarett's mother, Michelle, said there are many aspects to her son's character that people may not be aware of.

"So it's also been an opportunity to awake the sleeping giant, so to speak, in other aspects. And he's a well rounded person, he's not just a running back," she said.

Clarett had hoped to be released to a halfway house in Youngstown, but was ordered to remain in Columbus.

Bearcat729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:10 AM   #2
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Well since he is already in Ohio I find it likely he will be a Bengal soon.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:10 AM   #3
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I wonder if they put any conditions on his early release though, such as he can't sign with another prison team.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:12 AM   #4
molson
General Manager

It kind of sounds like Clarett and his mother are still in denial.

He has zero chance to play in the NFL (he wasn't even good enough 4 years ago), but his real focus in life at this point should be not committing crimes.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:13 AM   #5
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I was wondering if the NFL would try to sue to block his early release.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:36 AM   #6
BYU 14
Coordinator

Hopefully he accomplishes at least his first goal and gets his degree, since the only likely football in his future is the arena league, if that.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:49 AM   #7
Tim Tellean
High School JV

The UFL or CFL may give him a look. I can't see the NFL or Arena League giving him a chance since he did nothing 4 years ago to warrant a second look but he truly needs to work on his degree and getting his life together.
Tim Tellean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:53 AM   #8
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
It kind of sounds like Clarett and his mother are still in denial.

He has zero chance to play in the NFL (he wasn't even good enough 4 years ago), but his real focus in life at this point should be not committing crimes.

I'm not sure there is any denial going on here. First off, he said he'd like to play in the NFL. I would too, doesn't mean I think it's going to happen. She didn't say anything about the NFL. Quite the opposite, she said it he used this experience to show that he wasn't just a running back.

Also, he may not have been good enough to play in the NFL 4 years ago, but that was also when he had a horrific attitude and his life was spiraling out of control. (please don't make that seem like I'm making excuses for him, he was an idiot, I'm just saying he wasn't exactly in a good place to try football)

He has no future in football. But it isn't going to hurt him at all to get in shape, workout and try to get a chance with someone, somewhere. (arena league, Canada, etc.)

He's only 26. I hope he realizes he still has time to lead a great life and achieve success in it. He's still young enough he can become something useful. I hope he takes advantage of it.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:27 AM   #9
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I never read it regularly but I remember seeing on his blog that he seemed like he was in a good place, mentally. At least he was not pushing blame and took full responsisbility. It's a start.

I hope he can start a new life and be happy.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:27 AM   #10
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I saw an interview of him while in prison. He honestly seemed like he had grown up quite a bit and was working pretty hard on improving himself while in jail. I don't think he'll be a NFL player, but I do think he's trying to do what he can to right his own ship.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:07 PM   #11
QuikSand
lolzcat

OT - Maurice Clarett fingered in "Crime of the Century" - Front Office Football Central
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:11 PM   #12
molson
General Manager

Why does every Maurice Clarett thread title have to be dirty?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote