Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-30-2014, 01:51 PM   #1
Izulde
Head Coach

An Inky Situation (FM 2014 English Level 12)

I swore I would never, ever pick up FM ever again. I had more things I needed to be doing, and Magic and writing should be my primary free time devotions. And then I wandered over to Steam and searched for Football Manager for the hell of it.

Football Manager 2014 now on sale for $15! Cloud saves! Resume your career from any computer in the world!

Before I knew it, my credit card jumped out of my wallet, eagerly typed in its details, and I had FM 2014 installed on my mom's Mac laptop that I've been borrowing in the morning hours.

I downloaded a Level 12 English database, where I quickly discovered whoever made the database assigned numerous lower level teams really good facilities. I sense an imbalance coming.

Me being me, I had to pick one of the teams that has not so great facilities. Couldn't find a Poor/Poor squad I liked, so I went with...

Inkberrow FC Eagles

Makes sense, no? The whole writer thing, and Eagles being the same team name as my undergrad alma mater.

One thing to know about this deep a level. Everyone's a gray name, so that means hitting the transfer market. But first, we need to change up our staff, which I do, firing everyone and bringing in better replacements. Of course, everything is amateur contract only at this stage.

I can only get one team to agree to a friendly - a Spanish team I have to pay $24k to. We beat them 3-0 because I have my assman managing all the friendlies. For some reason, my assman can't get any other friendlies lined up, so we go into our season opener with just 1 friendly.

Midland Football Combination Division Two Odds
Coventry United: 3-1
Polesworth: 5-1
Northfield Town: 12-1
Everyone else that I can see: 16-1

And yet, we're also 16-1, and we're supposed to avoid bottom. Yeah. Okay.

We're running a 4-3-1-2 formation away and a 4-2-3-1 formation for at home. Oh, I suppose I should introduce our scrapheap signings, eh? I prioritized pace and strength together because at this level, everyone's so bad, being faster and stronger than everyone else should be the key to winning games. Oh, and I uh, stole the tactics from Football Manager Mad :P

Goalkeeper
Ash Malhotra (23) - 1.5/5

We've had a hard time finding any goalie to join us, so we grabbed Ash as a young emergency solution.

Defense
DR Brian Close (31) - 5/5
DR Doug Ford (24) - 1.5/5
DL James Kay (24) - 5/5
DC Phil Lindley (32) - 5/5
DC Bernard Morley (29) - 5/5
DC Tom Rowbotham (19) - 5/5
DC Gbenga Sonuga (30) - 5/5
DC Craig Suddaby (29) - 4.5/5

Rowbotham plays other positions, and so do a lot of these other guys. But I have to say, I'm really excited about him and Kay as the young cornerstones of our backbone. Either everyone sucks or we have a lot of talent here. Probably a little of both.

Midfield
MC Andy Catley (34) - 3/3
MC Brian Close (31) - 5/5
MC Phil Lindley (32) - 4.5/5
MC Craig Mitchell (26) - 1/1
MC Tom Rowbotham (19) - 2.5/5
MC Tom Schofield (22) - 4.5/5

Obviously you can expect Close and Lindley to play a lot of MC as opposed to DC, given our insane depth there. Schofield excites, too.

Attacking Midfield
AMC Tom Schofield (22) - 4.5/5
AMC James Tevendale (30) - 0.5/0.5

Need more and better depth here, much like the DLR spots, though I plan to make Rowbotham an all backbone guy.

Strikers
Mark Corbett (30) - 0.5/0.5
Brian Haule (29) - 4.5/5 (Tanzanian)
Kyle King (23) - 0.5/4
James Tevendale (30) - 2/5

King is someone we have high hopes for, but depth here would help too.

We get $10k a year for a uniform sponsorship deal. Yay.

I belatedly realize one of our tactics calls for an AML and AMR, neither of which we have other than James Tevandale, who is 1.5 at AMR. Boo. Fortunately we rush in a few wingers.

MR/AMR/ST Tony Wynne - 21 - 0.5/2 at AMR/Bottom at ST. I'll immediately train him into being AML and start him there.

DLR Tremain Walters - 24 - 3/4.5 at DL; 0 .5 at DR

MR/AMR Matt Martin - 23 - Scrub

MC/MR/AMR Paul McDonnell - 32 - 4/4 at AMR; 1.5/1.5 at MC
-Huge, huge get that saves our home formation.

Tom Schofield will also get AML training.

vs Kenilworth Town
G: Ash Malhotra
D: James Kay/Bernard Morley/Gbenga Sonuga/Brian Close
M: Phil Lindley/Tom Rowbotham
AM: Tony Wynne/Tom Schofield/Paul McDonnell
ST: Brian Haule

1 - ....Yeah, that didn't go well 0-1

28 - Why were we favored again? Indirect kick goal given up 0-2

31 - Gorgeous ball to the outside left of the box by Schofield for Haule to pick up. Our lone non-English player crosses to the left post where Wynne is waiting, and the kid knocks in the diagonal! 1-2

32 - Close has the free kick outside the box... and he flights it in for the quickfire double! 2-2

40 - Sonuga gets sent off with a double yellow. Great. I pull Schofield and put in Suddaby, making Rowbotham go into support duty.

67 - Morley keeps having a shit game, so I move Close to DC and put Walters in at DR.

70 - Absolutely incredibly interception by Rowbotham, who feeds Haule in the middle of the pitch. Streaking ahead to catch the pass in wide open space is McDonnell, who races through the converging horde to fire in the shorthanded goal!!! 3-2

76 - Just fucking great. Rowbotham's knocked out, so we spend our last sub on Catley.

78 - Wynne launches a rainbow of a ball that McDonnell gets to *just* as it's about to hit the touchline. Our new AMR crosses it to the goal. Haule is charging hard, and the opposing defender gets so flustered, he own goals it. 4-2

What an amazing game, and my first ever debut win!

7.5+ Ratings
Brian Haule - 8.8
Tony Wynne - 8.0 (Not bad for playing a position he's not comfortable with, eh?)
Paul McDonnell - 7.9
Brian Close - 7.6

This may well be the best this dynasty ever gets, because we're in 1st place after one game!

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)

Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 03:38 PM   #2
Izulde
Head Coach

So, the bad news... we lose Tom Rowbotham for 2 weeks. Because, you know, it's an Izulde FM dynasty, and something bad has to happen for every good thing. Gbenga Sonuga is banned for a match, and getting sent off on his debut pisses me off, so I warn him. He accepts it.

Transfer In AML Dean Stevens (27) - 0.5/0.5
I thought he'd be better than that. Oh well, consider him a depth signing.

Transfer In: AMC Liam Loughlin (26) - 4/5[/b]
Fantastic signing that will give us coverage and flexibility.

1st @Badsey Rangers (2nd)
D: James Kay/Bernard Morley/Craig Suddaby/Brian Close
M: Tom Schofield/Andy Catley/Phil Lindley
AM: Liam Loughlin
ST: Brian Haule/James Tevendale

10 - Schofield cracks a long cross to Haule, who I think is going to sink it. The defense strips it away, but Tevendale's right there too, and he steals it for the quick kick-in and the lead! 1-0

22 - Sigh. Just couldn't clear out the rebound in time. 1-1

We get out of the half with a tie, and both teams having had an opportunity to go ahead. Morley, our nominal captain, continues to play poorly, so he's once again benched, with the same Close to DC and Walters at DR move.

57 - Mitchell goes on for the ineffectual Lindley.

Twice we had wide open shots on goal, once for Tevendale and once for Haule, and both blew the chances to convert for the 3 points. We drop to 2nd with the tie, because remember, only the champion advances in this level. ...Oh wait... TWO teams win promotion! By the way, it's a 28 game season, so every one counts.

Phil Lindley is appointed Captain, Liam Loughlin vice-captain, even though Andy Catley is the recommended captain. Doesn't matter. Team's happy overall anyway, and Loughlin is thrilled to be named vice-captain.

Transfer In: DC Anthony Newton (28) - 5/5
Mmmhmm. Position of strength, but why not?

2nd vs Coventry United (8th)
D: James Kay/Gbenga Sonuga/Anthony Newton/Brian Close
M: Phil Lindley/Tom Schofield
AM: Dean Stevens/Liam Loughlin/Paul McDonnell

The heavy favorites to win the league, a victory over these guys would go a long way to establishing our legitimacy this season.

3 - Nobody was there to clear out the fucking rebound 0-1

17 - Loughlin angles the indirect free kick, and they clear out. Lindley pounces and shoots, but they kick it away again. This time, Schofield's got a clear line, and third time is *finally* the damn charm. 1-1

33 - Bullshit PK on Sonuga. Of course they fucking convert. 1-2

41 - LINDLEY YOU FUCKING GRASSSNIFFER! WHY THE FUCK YOU FALL DOWN AND ALLOW THEM THE BALL TO SCORE?! 1-3

48 - I scream at the team at half, and they take out the guy who scored 2 goals on us. I'm then treated to the rather fucking delightful "Redhead replaces Peck" line. But I'm so pissed we're losing.

53 - So pissed I burn all my subs, and fuck who I brought in and out.

58 - Let's see... everybody we appoint as captain plays like a jackoff, and every fucking AMC we have gets hurt. Because guess what? Loughlin's knocked out AND WE HAVE NO DAMN SUBS LEFT.

68 - Redhead gets an assist. We're getting beat like redheaded stepchildren in a blonde as fuck family. 1-4

73 - Close with a flukeass free kick goal. I give no fucks 2-4

Yep, should've quit the dynasty after the first post. We crash to 7th.

Liam Laughlin is out 2 months.

FA silent over Jestor criticism? YOU DAMN FUCKING RIGHT, ASSHOLES!

7th @Northfield Town (14th)
D: James Kay/Bernard Morley/Anthony Newton/Brian Close
M: Craig Mitchell/Andy Catley/Phil Lindley
AM: Tom Schofield

I let my assman pick the lineup this time.

We've been knocking all the door all half, and nothing. Our finishing is awful.

57 - Mitchell to Haule to Tevendale, who dances through the hole in the D before pot-shotting and *finally* getting a goal to drop. 1-0

68 - I put Rowbotham and McDonnell in for Mitchell and Catley, because they're looking exhausted out there, and that initial pass for the goal aside, Mitchell's stunk.

71 - Close short passes it to Tevendale on the right wing. Our second striker crosses it, and the opposing goalie deflects it away. Looks like it's headed for the touchline and a corner, but somehow Haule kicks it, falling down as he does so, and it goes in!!! 2-0

75 - Great pass forward by Rowbotham for Haule, but the ensuing shot is robbed by the post.

77 - Shady disallowed goal is shady.

89 - Another terrible game for Morley, so on goes Suddaby to save the game.

Good Guys
Brian Haule - 8.0
James Tevendale - 7.9
James Kay - 7.5

We leap up to 3rd, but Polesworth is one of several teams also with 7 points and they have game in hand on us. We're a point behind fucking Coventry United, and Badsey Rangers, whom we tied, are top of the table with 10 points at one-seventh into the season.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:28 AM   #3
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Sweet! Looking forward to the resumption of your profanity-laced rants about losing ... ahem, I mean successful managing adventures!
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 04:07 AM   #4
Izulde
Head Coach

3rd vs Paget (4th)
D: James Kay/Tom Rowbotham/Anthony Newton/Brian Close
M: Phil Lindley/Craig Mitchell
AM: Dean Stevens/Tom Schofield/Paul McDonnell

Mostly the assman's lineup, though I put Stevens in at AML, as he's natural there.

24 - Lindley short passes to Haule, who plays a perfectly pristine pass into wide open pasture for Stevens to run past everyone and shoot it in for his first goal for us! 1-0

We're doing okay at the half. A couple more shots on both sides where the scoreline should be something like 2-1 or 3-1, but I'll take our current lead, sure. Schofield is ignoring me at the half, so I put in Tevendale.

48 - Ugh. 1-1

53 - Oh look, here's our fuckign second half meltdown 1-2

87 - 3 straight shots where we shank, shank, shank. Now Rowbotham's hurt. I put Walters in at DL earlier, so this is our last sub, and Sonuga gets the call.

Shit second half is shit, and we drop all the way to 7th with 7 points. 10 points are what's needed for the promotion spots now. That's twice now we've been slammed with the major upset label.

James Kay has gotten ripped apart by the fans, so we'll give Tremain Walters some starting time to see how he does.

Good Trains
Andy Catley
Ash Malhotra

Bad Trains
Mark Corbett

The board's satisfied. We made $9.1k profit last month and sold 192 shirts. We've got $13.5k in the bank, so money's looking real good right about now.

Transfer In - DR Mark Bertram (23) - 4/5
Might be the new DR starter to shift Brian Close up to MC.

7th @Entville Athletic (14th)
D: James Kay/Tom Rowbotham/Anthony Newton/Mark Bertram
M: Craig Mitchell/Brian Close/Phil Lindley

Acumen picks, just cuz.

3 - Booming kick from Malhotra to Schofield, and two long passes later, it's Haule hammering it home for the early quick strike. 1-0

11 - Tevendale directs a series of passes, end result of is a back and forth with new DR Bertram before Tevendale bangs in goal #2. Weird that we seem to play better away than at home 2-0

What a great first half. We could have scored a couple more goals, too. I really like how this offense looks.

61 - I move Tevendale to AMC and put Wynne up front at striker, replacing Schofield, who again experiences a drop in second half form.

74 - Close to Haule to Wynne... and a textbook send into the box for Tevendale to notch his second goal of the game, his fourth of the season! 3-0

79 - Damn fluke goal. Catley on for the tired Mitchell.
3-1

91 - WTF?! 3-2

We damn near lost that game. 8.8 for James Tevendale, but that was about it. Still, we get the 3 points, and we're back up in 3rd, a point off the leaders.

3rd vs Leamington Hibernian (13th)
D: James Kay/Craig Suddaby/Anthony Newton/Mark Bertram
M: Phil Lindley/Brian Close
AM: Dean Stevens/Tom Schofield/Paul McDonnell

One change I took out from the baseline strategy from FMM was allowing the wingers to cross. I feel like that's been a major issue for us, maybe. Worth a shot anyway.

13 - Fucking corners. 0-1

15 - Stevens with a pretty cross to Haule, and immediately three defenders converge on our Tanzanian striker. He lays it off to McDonnell, who scores the equalizer like it's nothing. 1-1

I replace Schofield with Tevendale and Lindley with Rowbotham at the break, as we're looking mighty sluggish out there.

55 - HTF did you miss that, Haule?! You were WIDE OPEN after Malhotra set you up with the cannon shot!

57 - Roll the dice and sub Mitchell in for Close, who louses it up today.

78 - Stevens dribbles the ball all the way down the left flank before post crossing it to McDonnell, who once again finds himself completely open for the sitting shot. He converts. 2-1

88 - ...Wow. I have ZERO idea how the opponents missed that, but we'll take it. Shank you!

8.8 for Paul McDonnell and 7.5 for Craig Suddaby. A game we could have scored a lot more in, but also a game we could have lost. Back up in 2nd, but two teams who can jump us have games in hand.

Brian Haule leads the league in assists with 5, and also has 11 offsides, the most of any player in the league. James Tevendale is second in offsides - a function of the system we run, of course.

Good Trains
Ash Malhotra

Bad Trains
Brian Haule

Board's now Pleased, and my Job Status is Secure. Small profit this month - just $301 - but money is money.

2nd @Rostance Edwards (3rd)
M: Paul McDonnell/Brian Close/Phil Lindley

We have yet to win a critical game like this. Every time, we've flamed out, with only one tie. Can today reverse that trend? Especially crucial since this is a game in hand team.

4 - Absolutely stunning ball forward by Tevendale for Schofield, who looks ready to shoot. But then he suddenly lays off to Haule, and hello beautiful start! 1-0

46 - Some great opportunities, but no conversion. Rowbotham is knocked out, so Suddaby gets the call just before half.

49 - And now McDonnell is forced off with injury. Catley in.

69 - Close on the free kick hits a long diagonal to Schofield, whistling just past the head of the defender in the box. Haule takes the ensuing pass, and the sorely needed insurance goal is there. 2-0

81 - Schofield is playing his damn heart out, but he's also tired. Loughlin needs to be worked back on to the pitch, so he subs in.

82 - Catley to Tevendale to Haule, who dribbles inside the goal box and then sends it to Tevendale, who ran all the way forward to be able to head it in! Game's ours now. 3-0

Our most complete win of the season by far in the biggest game of the year. Wow, just wow.

Great Players
Brian Haule - 9.3
Tom Schofield - 8.9
James Tevandale - 8.1
Mark Bertram - 7.8
Anthony Newton - 7.5

And we're back in 1st!!! Lot of teams with games in hand, but that's okay. We've 16 points through 8 games, and only a 6 game team can leapfrog us at the moment.

The fans naturally freak out with excitement at our big win.

I also belatedly realize every other team is fielding a roster of gray players, which is why we're favored in every single game. Now it's going to be embarrassing if we don't promote.

The team that could pass us does, much to my disappointment.

A few players have their statuses changed, which upsets them. Gbenga Sonuga in particular is furious, and won't listen at all in our talk.

Transfer In: AML Patrick Lauber (23) - 2.5/5
Major upgrade at AML, now and in the future. I also notice it's possible to ask the captain to welcome the player to the club. Seems like it's a good idea.

2nd vs Burntwood Town (5th)
M: Phil Lindley/Brian Close
AM: Patrick Lauber/Tom Schofield/Paul McDonnell

Going to be a rough match, given the long layoff, and another huge game.

1 OMG! Lauber with the corner kick to Rowbotham and WE FINALLY HAVE OUR FIRST CORNER KICK GOAL OF THE SEASON!!! 1-0

4 See Izulde FM rules. Haule's hurt, so in comes Tevendale.

15 - Completely faked out. 1-1

45 - Mitchell on for error-prone Lindley

53 - FUCK YOU, HE WAS OFFSIDES!!!! 1-2

67 - Now Rowbotham is out, so Morley goes in. We keep missing shot after shot after shot, too.

74 - Game doesn't want me to win. Mitchell's out with injury now, too.

90 - OMFG!!!! THAT'S THE FOURTH OR FIFTH FUCKING GUY KNOCKED OUT!! NOW MCDONNELL!!!

We crash all the way down to 4th, and lose Tom Rowbotham and Paul McDonnell for a month and 2 months respectively.

Izulde FM curse at work yet again.

Old 12-31-2014, 04:09 AM   #5
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Sweet! Looking forward to the resumption of your profanity-laced rants about losing ... ahem, I mean successful managing adventures!

I have a feeling this season is going to royally piss me off when we fail to promote by like a damn point or two.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:22 AM   #6
Izulde
Head Coach

We have plenty of coverage for Tom Rowbotham, but nothing at AMR.

Transfer In - AMR Billy Akrigg - 21 - 2/5
Our first Hot Prospect signing, and he'll be the starter since our other main grab rejected us.

Bad Trains
Andy Catley

Transfer In - MC Joe Ward - 24 - 4/5
Major, major signing who might be a starter right off the bat, and with great potential. As you can see, I've gradually been acquiring young players to build our future around once our numerous old guys decline.

$1.34k profit. Board is still pleased. James Kay is still getting hated on, so I may need to rethink his status with the team again.

4th @Alecester Town (8th)
D: James Kay/Bernard Morley/Anthony Newton/Mark Bertram
M: Joe Ward/Brian Close/Phil Lindley

18 - The perils of playing a high line 0-1

32 - Yeaaaah.... Tevendale was offsides there.

36 - Bounce pass by Close to Haule, and there's no doubting this one. 1-1

40 - And of course Schofield's hurt, so Loughlin steps in.

Walters in for Kay at the half.

75 - Throw in by Walters to Ward, who passes to Tevendale. Following feed finds Loughlin for his first ever goal for us, even though opponents are screaming he was offsides. 2-1

Morale isn't great, so I tell them it's a good win. Back up to 3rd place, a point behind a promotion spot.

Transfer In: DLC Lee Craig - 26 - 4.5/5 at DL; 5/5 at DC
We haven't found a DL we're happy with, so Lee will get his chance there first.

3rd vs Barton United (9th)
D: Lee Craig/Phil Lindley/Anthony Newton/Brian Close
M: Tom Schofield/Joe Ward
AM: Patrick Lauber/Liam Loughlin/Billy Akrigg

I overruled my assman's selections in quite a few spots. (DL/DC/MC/AMC/AMR) But we struggle at home, so I think I'm justified.

33 - Haule has it in the box and he passes to Akrigg. The shot is blocked, but Haule takes the rebound and crosses to Loughlin, and that one's in the net. 1-0

51 - Damn IDFK goals. 1-1

60 - Kay in for Craig

67 - Bertram on for Close

77 - Somebody, I missed who, made a brilliant tackle and passed it to Ward, who moved it on to Loughlin and then into space for Haule. The one on one was child's play. 2-1

7.9 for Haule, 7.7 for Loughlin, as we escape with a victory that moves us back into 2nd. Tight race is tight.

2nd vs Polesworth (4th)
D: Lee Craig/Phil Lindley/Anthony Newton/Brian Close
M: Tom Schofield/Joe Ward
AM: Patrick Lauber/Liam Loughlin/Billy Akrigg

I'm not going to even give my assman a chance to revise the lineup. We'll go with what worked last time. (Pay no attention to the subs we had to make).

13 - We're awarded a PK, and Schofield steps up to convert!!! Our first PK of the year. 1-0

Bertram and Kay go in for Close and Craig at the half - the former due to tiredness; the latter because of still poor play, though better than his debut.

67 - Injured again is Loughlin, which means pushes up for Schofield and Lindley, and the insertion of Morley.

73 - Lindley uses his new position to intercept a clearance and hook it up to Ward. A long cross follows, where a dubiously onside Akrigg is there to sink his first goal for us! Happy insurance! 2-0

81 - Yeah. 2-1

Another nailbiter, with Akrigg getting PotM with an 8.0 as our only standout player. That monstrously important win vaults us up to 1st and pushes them down to 5th. We're 2 points up on 2nd and 3rd place, 4 up on 4th-6th.

So yeah, we lose Liam Loughlin for 3-4 weeks. Did you really expect anything else?

Good Train
Andy Catley

Bad Train
Gbenga Sonuga

$9.46k profit, and the board is delighted, making me untouchable. They don't like Bernard Morley. I don't either.

There's a tax change. I'm not seeing anything huge there, so I ignore it.

1st @Austrey Rangers (3rd)
D: James Kay/Lee Craig/Anthony Newton/Mark Bertram
ST: Brian Haule/Patrick Lauber

We're massively favored, so I tell them I expect to win this one.

We play flat in the first half, not getting a single shot on goal. Meanwhile, they have numerous chances, so I assertively tell the team I expect more in the final 45. This stresses Lindley, so I put in Rowbotham.

63 - Worst game Haule's ever played, so I pull him for Tevandale.

73 - Schofield to Lauber, and then the long ground pass into space where just put in Tevendale strikes the go-ahead score! 1-0

85 - Walter jumps in for the tired and poorly playing Bertram.

I'm literally sweating, screaming for the whistle to blow, and finally it does, despite a very scary moment. No standout players, though Tevendale and his 7.2 are PotM, obviously. It's been a season of important wins, and this is arguably the biggest yet.

That's good for a 4 point lead on #2 and #3, and some needed breathing room.

By the way, there's supposed to be a League Cup, but it evidently is bugged in this database, because it's not showing up. I don't care, really. Fewer games is better.

1st @FC Stratford (9th)
D: James Kay/Lee Craig/Anthony Newton/Mark Bertram
M: Joe Ward/Brian Close/Tom Rowbotham

I'm going to expect another win, so Phil Lindley will sit this one out to start.

20 - Schofield dribbles down the middle of the pitch and into the box. That draws the defense, allowing him to lay off to Lauber for the latter's first goal of the year! 1-0

40 - Sloppy defense there, guys. 1-1

48 - Ward to Haule to Schofield chain, and here's another assist for the last, and again it's Lauber sinking in the reception, this from outside the box to inside. 2-1

80 - Lindley for Ward and Walters for Bertram due to tiredness, but not before they equalize on what damn fucking sure looked like offsides 2-2

An 8.8 for Patrick Lauber, but the second half was total garbage, and we deserved to lose the game in the last 10 minutes. That's how poorly we played.

The halfway standings. Been a long, long time since a team of mine was in 1st this late in the season.

Old 12-31-2014, 04:12 PM   #7
Izulde
Head Coach

1st vs Badsey Rangers (6th)
D: James Kay/Lee Craig/Anthony Newton/Brian Close
M: Tom Rowbotham/Joe Ward
AM: Patrick Lauber/Tom Schofield/Billy Akrigg
ST: James Tevendale

It's another expected win, so Rowbotham in for Lindley. Also, Haule has had a bad couple of games, so Tevendale gets the start.

41 - Way to get fooled, D. 0-1

46 - Ward to Tevendale... and the pass to Akrigg in the box. I'm thinking there's no way the diagonal can go in, but it does for a critical pre-half equalizer. 1-1

59 - Rowbotham gets hurt, so Lindley goes in.

61 - Oh, look. A bullshit penalty. 1-2

69 - Bertram in for Close, who is awful this game.

70 - Un-fucking-believable. 1-3

That game was shit. Only good news is, everyone else up top lost, too.

My success has not gone unnoticed, however. Rumors abound that I'm going to be offered the job at Farnham Town, a semi-pro team at the County Leagues level, which is Level 9. I say it's just rumors.

And oh look.

FA Silent Over Izulde Jestor Criticism. THAT'S TWICE IN A ROW NOW, BITCHES!!!!

The board is thrilled I denied interest in the Farnham Town job. Less loyal probably will be my Chief Scout, who is being courted by a ton of teams. And yep, off he goes. My coach is being courted, too.

Aaaand, we lose him, too.

$981 monthly profit. Lee Craig is hated, but the board's delighted still. We just can't find a DL worth anything.

Good Training
Brian Close
Ash Malhotra - Now up to 2.5*, but down to 4.5* potential

Bad Trains
Phil Lindley
Gbenga Sonuga
Andy Catley

1st @Kenilworth Town (3rd)
D: James Kay/Craig Suddaby/Anthony Newton/Brian Close
M: Tom Schofield/Joe Ward/Phil Lindley

I put in Suddaby over that disappointing Lee Craig. It goes without saying that we have a new biggest game. Should we lose here, they jump us on goal differential, and if the team below us wins, we fall to 3rd.

15 - Looks like the time off did Haule good. Ward to Kay to our Tanzanian, and in the net we go. Still early yet in this pouring rain game. 1-0

30 - Or maybe not. Two straight possessions with open shots, and Haule shanks both.

45 - Ward to Schofield to Haule, and the goalie comes out to tackle the ball away. Bad idea, because Schofield pounces on the rebound and we've got the beautiful pre-half double. 2-0

51 - Knocked out is Ward. I'll go with Rowbotham as replacement.

61 - And now Lauber is hurt. Sigh. Never ends. Get in, Tevendale.

69 - Three defenders close in on Tevendale, so he kicks it out to Close on the wing. As a defender charges, our DR kicks it up to Loughlin, who nails the bouncy shot to all but put this game away. 3-0

71 - You knew that shit was gonna happen. 3-1

Inkberrow secures a big win. That's the understatement of the year. 8.0 for Brian Close, 7.6 for Tom Schofield.

The win gives us 4 points on the 2nd place team, 5 on the new 3rd place team. Hooray for cushions!!!

I'm linked to another semi-pro team in Level 9, but considering they're in the drop zone, I have less than zero interest in going there. From the same league (Essex Senior, BTW), the 14th place team is linked to me. That's far more interesting, but I'm building something here, so thanks but no thanks.

1st @Coventry United (5th)

For the first time this season, we're actually underdogs. Makes sense, though. Not only did they kick our asses 4-2 in the first game, Coventry's on an insane streak - four straight wins, and six games without a loss. Keep in mind, they were 3-1 favorites to win the whole thing in preseason.

In fact, I play the revenge card in my pre-game talk - the first time I've seen that. Half the squad goes green, which is the most I've had in a pre-game talk. At most it's been 1 or 2.

19 - Schofield's hurt. Been a while and it's a dangerous game to put him in, but McDonnell needs to start getting PT sooner or later.

33 - Lauber gets the ball on the far right flank, outraces the defense, and crosses to the far post. Rising above the defender is Haule for the header in! 1-0

47 - Amazing longball for Lauber by Newton, but the shot's wasted. Loughlin looks lost today, so Tevendale pops on.

This was an ugly win, no question. But it's one we'll definitely take, as it puts the hammer on the team that quite frankly is the most talented in the league. I accidentally clicked Leave Match without making a post-game talk. Shit shit shit. Good news - we now have 5 points on second place team, and a full 6 on 3rd place.

Another day, another Level 9 semi-pro vacancy linked to me. Another rejection.

1st vs Northfield Town (10th)
M: Phil Lindley/Joe Ward

Despite their relatively low ranking, Northfield Town has won 3 of 5 away games, so they're not to be taken lightly.

It's pouring rain for this match, and I'm expecting a sloppy as hell game. Sure enough, nobody's getting anything going, and I chide the guys for their sloth at the break.

51 - Bertram and Tevendale slide on for Close and Schofield, who are the worst offenders. But before that happens, they score, of course. 0-1

I read the team the riot act, because that wasn't even an honest loss. That was pure crap. That's also our third home loss in five games, continuing our far too generous hospitality. Fortunately, we're still 5 points up on the 2nd and 3rd place teams. Coventry United lost spectacularly, and fire their manager as a result.

Mark Corbett wants out, so I just let him go.

$7.12k profit, board still delighted, Lee Craig still hated. I'm sorely tempted by the next opening at Level 9 - Epsom & Ewell. They're mistakenly entered in the database as the E's, even though they're really the Salts. Epsom Salts, don't you know. Cool logo, and underachieving team. Semipro. Another Level 9 team is in the drop, so no to them.

I no comment the Epsom job, even though I'm the favorite, it turns out. The Inkberrow board takes it as a positive sign that I've said nothing.

1st @Paget (14th)

In which we hope to bounce back from last time's stinkfest.

3 - I play the revenge card in pre-game, and Schofield responds by passing to Loughlin, who goes to Haule, who in turn scorches a pass down the middle of the box for a caught up Schofield and the early strike. 1-0

36 - Waste of a great clearance by Newton, too. 1-1

We can still win, guys. BELIEVE!!!

53 - 1-2

59 - Haule is alone on the right side of the box, but he crosses it to Schofield fore the sneaky shot and goal instead. 2-2

61 - PK! SCHOFIELD WITH THE HAT TRICK!!! Now I'll point out that earlier in the game, Bertram came in at DL for awful Kay. 3-2

63 - Yeah, okay. Haule was offsides.

72 - Tevendale in for tired Loughlin

76 - Look, Haule, when a goalie kicks the ball at you, you're not supposed to shank the gimme.

We should have won by a bigger margin, but we'll graciously accept Tom Schofield's first season hat trick and big comeback win. 3 points means an 8 point lead on the 3rd and 4th place teams. Technically 7 points ahead of 2nd place Polesworth, but they have game in hand on us.

Doug Ford is released on a free after he complains.

Transfer In: GK Joe McLoughlin - 24 - 1/4.5
Backup goalie finally.

Transfer In: DLRC Jordan Street - 24
DC - 4.5/5
DL - 1.5
DR - 1.5

Insisted on being a key player, and will probably be a starting DC next to Anthony Newton.

1st @ Leamington Hibernian (13th)
D: James Kay/Jordan Street/Anthony Newton/Mark Bertram

Lot of buildup to this one. The media asks me about Hibernian's manager, and I try to be supportive of the embattled colleague. Only the newspaper reports it as I trashed him, which miffs him, and causes a response of saying we're way overachieving. I'm just like, "...No. We'll prove you wrong, too." (Even though they're favored for some odd reason).

1 - Immediate impact is immediate. Street kicks the corner perfectly to Newton, and in it goes!! 1-0

40 - Despite my frustrations with his constant misses of easy shots, my heart always sinks when Haule's hurt, and here he's out. Tevendale in his place, but there's no question we play worse without our Tanzanian.

49 - 1-1

61 - Street moves out to DL and Rowbotham comes in at DC.

70 - Unbelievable miss, indeed. Fortunately, it was opponents who blew it.

79 - Thanks for the own goal gift! The defender got flustered on the corner kick pressure, and sent it wrong way. 2-1

83 - A series of passes out of a throw-in culminates in Tevendale shooting a perfect ball to space for a wide open Ward and the winsome double! 3-1

7.5 for Anthony Newton, 7.9 for Joe Ward, as we win the war of words! 7 point lead on 2nd place team (game in hand for them though), 9 point lead on 3rd place squad.

I forgot to say something at the post-game team talk again. Stupid Izulde. Break time, I guess.

8 games left for most teams...

Old 01-01-2015, 09:36 AM   #8
Izulde
Head Coach

Can we do it? We have a two game buffer with eight to play on third place, at least, so as long as we don't completely blow it (always a possibility in an Izulde FM dynasty), we have a shot.

I'm praised for my ability to get players to score. We have 39 goals in 20 games for our 13 wins. Thanks, FM Mad!

The manager of Hibernian says his team was complacent, and that a lot of our opponents have been that way lately, which is why we're overachieving. Um.. go fuck yourself, dude. And after I was nice enough to say you should get more time.

Our roster continues to thin itself out. Doug Ford leaves, and Kyle King is on his way out as well. Evidently Camberley Town saw something in the young striker, because they're paying him $4k. Wow, maybe we missed the boat there.

I'm a 5-2 favorite to take over Heath Hayes, a Level 9 team that's in 3rd place, just 3 points off the promotion spot into Level 8. Although that seems awesome, I'm not a fan of it. I'd have to keep using their system that's working, rather than introduce my own that has us in the driver's seat for winning the league. Their previous manager left to take over a last place Level 8 team and try to get out of the drop zone.

A Level 9 team riddled with injuries and in the drop asks for me too, but I say no. What I find really interesting is that even though these Level 9 teams are all semi-pro, most only have a handful of players under contract. Makes sense, though.

Skimming through the tables, it appears that in this database, Levels 11 and 12 are amateur, and Level 10 is where you start to see semi-pro teams, but there's amateur teams at that level as well. Perhaps Level 9 is where semi-pro is required? We'll find out, hopefully.

Good Trains
Ash Malhotra

Bad Trains
Phil Lindley

Absolutely delighted board, and $5.35k profit. Lee Craig is still a sad face. By the way, we have just over $38k in the bank right now, so we've a nice little nest egg in case we go semipro.

1st vs Enville Athletic (15th)
D: James Kay/Jordan Street/Anthony Newton/Brian Close

So Paul McDonnell hasn't been the same since his injury, and Billy Akrigg is the young kid with upside, so I let my assman's decisions stand.

33 - Bitchass fluke free kick goal. And we've been outplaying them all god damned half. 0-1

37 - Lindley to Ward just outside the box, but the defense converges and knocks the ball off. Before they can get possession, Schofield slips in, strikes a why not shot, and has his 7th goal of the year! 1-1

56 - Lauber's off with injury. I have no backup, so put in Loughlin to play out of position, and Tevendale's on for a waste of space today in Haule.

80 - Fucking long range shots. Time to Overload. 1-2

89 - Ward comes through with a long range shot of his own to potentially get us at least a point 2-2

And that's what we get. At this stage of the season, every point helps. I tell the gang they were unlucky, because really, they were. Just a couple of fluke goals there. We do lose Patrick Lauber for a month, however, which is horrid news, because he's our AML in our home formation and our second striker in our away one.

Transfer In: ST John Wigglesworth (23) - 1.5/5
A prospect for the future, but one who also will get starting spots the rest of the season, as we're failing to land an AML.

1st vs Rostance Edwards (3rd)
D: James Kay/Tom Rowbotham/Anthony Newton/Brian Close

This gives us the most effective lineup, as Wigglesworth and Haule are both suited to be AF, and lousy at DLF. Win this game, and we're in excellent breathing space to promote. Lose, and things get a lot tighter. Especially since Rostance Edwards and Polesworth both have a game in hand on us.

18 - Come on, Loughlin. You need to make those easy ones!

Quiet first half. I mean, I'll take another point, but we're playing meh.

55 - Schofield and Rowbotham move up, and Street comes in at DC, dumping Loughlin. Tevendale is both tired and lousy, so Wynne gets a rare call.

66 - Pathetic. 0-1

Terrible, terrible showing. Polesworth is now just 2 points behind us with a game in hand, Rostance Edwards 6 behind with game in hand. I'm so pissed right now, and I let the team have it.

Athserley Recreation, with the awesome nickname of the Penguins, is an Amateur Level 9 side, and I'm the favorite for the job. As cool as it would be, no thanks to being amateur in a semi-pro dominated league.

Youth Candidates
16 year old DLCR Richard Heath is considered one of our top defenders right now, but he's 5'6 and has poor pace and strength, which are our primary concerns. In the end, I don't think I'll sign any of these kids.

But then AMC/AML/MC James Henders scores 2 goals and I start thinking I can train Richard Heath up in his weak areas. In the end, I sign everyone with 10+ Pace or Strength, plus a couple in between guys.

1st @Burntwood Town (13th)

Good news. Patrick Lauber got back to full training today, so we'll have him back for the last five games of the season. Bad news. This team may be 13th, but they stomped us last game.

19 - Close charges hard to snag a clearance and dribbles to crack a shot from the half-circle. It goes in! I think last game was the first time this season we've been shut out. Glad to know it won't continue. 1-0

33 - Loughlin passes to Tevendale, who immediately has like three defenders surround him. Our veteran striker finds a seam and threads the weighted ball to an open Haule, and just like that, we're double. 2-0

36 - Aaand of course, we let our guard down. 2-1

At the half, I warn everyone of complacency, because I noticed quite a few guys looked lazy out there. We need these 3 points! Malhotra is initially stressed, but I talk him down.

56 - We're getting hammered and Street's treating it like a whatever, so I pull him for Suddaby.

66 - Close dribbles into the right side of the box and crosses near post to Tevendale. Goalie deflects the shot, but Haule's in position to put it away, and he does. Whew. 3-1

83 - Tired Tevendale and we've just about got this wrapped up, so Wigglesworth will make his debut.

8.0 for Brian Close, 8.8 for Brian Haule. I'm worried about the complacency shown by a lot of players, but nonetheless, this was a strong team effort, and a needed win, as Polesworth and Rostance Edwards both won.

Nice to see they fixed the skip bug of the transfer deadline, so it's worth partaking in Media Day at transfer deadline now. Blair McGinness a DL/ML youth candidate I decided to keep, chooses to stay with us because I'm one of his favored personnel already. Awesome. Ian Banks, my assman, has a lot of fans amongst the U21 homegrowns we signed.

No fans yet on the seniors, but I'm sure that'll change if we promote.

We try to steal a 25 year old striker who's his team's leading scorer, but he opts to stay.

1st vs Alcester Town (8th)

So awesome to have Lauber back in the fold. 5 games left, including this one and a match against Polesworth in the 2nd to last game of the year.

24 - WTF?! OFFSIDES!!! FUCKING OFFSIDES YOU FUCKING SNOTGOBBLING FUCKING REF!!! 0-1

28 - AKRIGG WAS NOT OFFSIDES! DO YOU EVEN FUCKING KNOW THE DAMN RULE?!?!

36 - Haule dribbles down the pitch and bounce passes it into the box, where Ward says thanks for the easy equalizer. 1-1

41 - What a great game Haule is having. Our corner's cleared out, but he heads it to Newton's feet, and the defender shoots the gap, and we go up! 2-1

Rowbotham replaces a tired and not that good today Street at the break.

71 - Tevendale in for Akrigg, who's played nervy, and is looking tired.

We get several more chances to score in the remaining minutes, but nothing doing. Our defense is great, though. My assman wants me to yell at the team. No way. Good result.

Four games left. We're now 4 up on Polesworth, 6 on Rostance Edwards, but they still have games in hand.

3 weeks off now. Long break, but at least we'll know what we look like heading into the final stretch.

Good Train
Andy Catley

Bad Trains
Patrick Lauber
Lee Craig

$2.55k profit. Nothing's changed otherwise.

Ian Banks is signed away by Colne for $5.75k salary. He'll be there for all of next season unless someone comes in with even more money. I'll miss him. He was a big part of our run with his suggestions.

Ronnie Green, who is amazing at judging players and teaching attacking, is our new assman. Terrible tactically, which may be a mistake, though he's also great at working with youngsters and good at teaching fitness.

Enville Athletic pulls off a major upset in beating Polesworth 4-1, while Rostance Edwards grinds out a 1-0 win over Barton United. So with the table all square, we're 3 points up on 2nd place, 4 up on 3rd, and 10 up on 4th. IOW, we've all but guaranteed a Top 4 finish.

We need 10 points over the last 4 games to guarantee the title, or 3 wins and a tie.

1st @Barton United (10th)
D: James Kay/Phil Lindley/Anthony Newton/Mark Bertram
M: Joe Ward/Andy Catley/Brian Close

Interesting choices by our new assman, but we'll roll with it. This is not going to be an easy team to beat by any means. They may be 1-4 in their last five matches, but I smell a trap game.

15 - Catley rewards the new assman's faith by playing a beautiful ball in front of Schofield to pick up in the box. I'm thinking the shot is coming, but he backpasses to Lauber, who cooly kicks it *just* in the gap! 1-0

34 - 35 yard bounce pass by Ward sees a race between Haule and the defender. Our Tanzanian striker wins and scores. 2-0

Excellent half, and despite my qualms, I tell them how well they're doing.

49 - Quit fucking letting them get back in the game! Haule was onside!

58 - No doubt there, as Schofield chips the ball in the box, and Haule beats the defense to put it, and presumably the game, away. 3-0

60 - Yep. Grr. Craig in for Kay, Close back to DR, and Rowbotham in at MC. 3-1

79 - Terrible fucking clearance by Lindley. 3-2

93 - Another reward, as Catley makes a nice, short pass to Lauber. A dribble through the defense later, and we've guaranteed the 3 points! 4-2

8.2 for Tom Schofield, 9.0 for Patrick Lauber, and 8.8 for Brian Haule. All three players really stepped up their game in the second half when things started getting scary. Major win that puts us up 5 points on 2nd, 6 on 3rd with 3 games left, as Polesworth and Rostance Edwards played to a 2-2 tie. We also clinch no worse than 3rd.

The driver's seat is unquestionably ours.

Old 01-01-2015, 11:50 AM   #9
Izulde
Head Coach

Oddly enough, it'd been 11 hours since Patrick Lauber had scored. I hadn't noticed - he's become too valuable in our setup.

We need 5 points over the last 3 games to clinch the title. Two wins and a loss is a lot better than two wins and a tie.

Good Train
DLC Chris Black

$3.14k profit

1st vs Austrey Rangers (8th)
D: James Kay/Phil Lindley/Anthony Newton/Brian Close
M: Andy Catley/Joe Ward

36 - Team is playing nervy, and it's showing. 0-1

42 - Ward to Lauber, followed by a cross to Haule's head, and things are knotted up. 1-1

I tell the team they're doing well and to keep going out there, and we'll win. That's kinda not true, but hopefully that calms the players down.

51 - Brilliant ball for Lauber by Haule, and I'm thinking the score is on, but he suddenly stops and centers to Schofield. Left foot shot completely fakes out the keeper! 2-1

55 - Rowbotham in uninterested Ward.

88 - Close up to MC to replace exhausted Catley; Bertram at DR.

We get the win, but I find it awfully shady that the refs allowed them the last shot in both halves and only blew the whistle after the opponents got their free shot.

Polesworth draws for the second straight game, while Rostance Edwards picks up a 1-0 win. The draw by Polesworth and our win means we've clinched promotion!!!!!

A Level 10 team is sniffing around Phil Lindley, and came to the game to watch him specifically. He posted a great game, too, with a 7.1. Not good for keeping our 33 year old captain.

But for now, let's luxuriate in this:

I rule!

1st @Polesworth (3rd)
D: James Kay/Anthony Newton/Tom Rowbotham/Mark Bertram

Poles worth still has a promotion place to play for the next couple games. Meanwhile, we can clinch the championship with a win or with a Rostance Edwards tie or loss.

26 - Gorgeous pass by Lauber for Haule, but our top striker has to hold up on the right side of the pitch. Instead, he commences a circle of passes to Close and Ward, the last sending it to the box where Lauber sinks it! 1-0

35 - Haule's hurt, so Wigglesworth comes in.

I stress again at the half the importance of winning, and it gets me a couple negatives. Oops.

46 - Schofield chips a header to Wigglesworth, who doesn't look a newbie at all in delivering a perfect ball to Lauber for the second goal. 2-0

57 - Absolutely jaw-dropping defense by Close and Newton to recover blown coverage and prevent a goal that even a 1 Finishing player should have made.

69 - Now Close is hurt, so Schofield drops back to MC and Loughlin comes in at AMC.

8.8 for Patrick Lauber and 7.4 for James Kay. Wonderful performance by the squad in what most hyped as the biggest game of the season. Rostance Edwards tied to make this result immaterial, but it's sill awesome to clinch a championship.

Phil Lindley continues to attract attention from higher level teams looking for a strong, naturally fit veteran leader who has shown he can successfully captain a team.

We'll be without Brian Close and Brian Haule for the season finale. Not that it matters. We were going to play a young lineup anyway.

Time to start thinking about next year. I don't know if I should be trying to bring these guys back on amateur contracts, or wait to see if the board decides to make us semi-pro.

Old 01-01-2015, 02:00 PM   #10
Izulde
Head Coach

There's a number of guys on this list I want to keep long-term, but I think I'm just going to wait and see what comes after the season.

vs FC Stratford
In the end, since the media hypes this match, I'll let my assman choose. John Wigglesworth gets his first start as our lone striker.

Loughlin and Rowbotham go in for Schofield and Ward at the half, as the latter players aren't doing anything today. In fact, Schofield is having his worst half of the entire season.

47 - Wigglesworth is robbed by a shady offsides call.

And it ends in just our second match of the year where we fail to score a goal.

Joe Ward is pissed about being subbed in for, and we have to have a conversation about it. Gives me a dim view of a kid I thought about maybe keeping around as part of our future.

Successful season is successful.

We get $6.97k for winning the league.

Our finish was six games unbeaten, which is a modern day record for the club.

Good Yearly Trains
DLCR Chris Black
DLCR Blair McGuinness
GK Martin Grice
MC/AMC/AMR Leon Shaw
ST/MC Lloyd Edge

Bad Yearly Trains
Brian Haule
Craig Suddaby
James Tevendale
Phil Lindley
Paul McDonnell

Inkberrow Notes
Value: $160k
Average Ticket Price: $2
Average Season Ticket Price: $54
Season Ticket Holders: 90
Facilities: None listed on the screen

I don't understand the end of season team meeting, other than to say it went horribly. Nobody thinks we can be mid-table at the next level.

Yearly profit: $64.53k, so no additional taxes.

Our first kit deal was worth $9.68k. The new one is worth $9.75k for one year, so we have *two* uniform sponsorships now.

Teams at this level don't have their own stadium, and the board tries to move into an actual stadium, but the local council blocks it.

Still, with a $31.39k profit the past month, the board has $75.4k in the bank.

A couple players with prearranged departures leave at the start of the transfer window.

And then the raids start happening.

Losses
GK Ash Malhotra
DL James Kay
DC Anthony Newton
DC Craig Suddaby
DC/MC Tom Rowbotham
MC/AMC Tom Schofield
AMC Liam Loughlin
AMR/ST Tony Wynne
AMC/AMR/ST James Tevendale
Joe Forster (U21 prospect)
Richard Heath (U21 prospect)
Blair McGuinness (U21 prospect)

And that's before we get promoted up to the Wearside Football League.

No one will come play for us, either.

At this rate, we'll be lucky to avoid relegation. So depressing.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:04 AM   #11
Izulde
Head Coach

Other notes on that last season:

Patrick Lauber was named Fans' Player of the Year, which reflects my own sense that he was actually our most valuable player - not Brian Haule, despite the Tanzanian leading us in goals scored with 13, most PotM awards with 6, and a higher rating of 7.17 to Lauber's 7.16.

Last year's Best 11. Because of the formation, no Lauber in the list, though I'm sure he'll be there next year if he sticks around.

More Defections
DL Tremain Walters
DC Bernard Morley
DR/MC Brian Close
Leon Shaw (U21)

We *finally* get someone to sign with us.

Transfer In - MC Liam Bright - 20 - 5/5
Our assman instantly rates the kid out as our best midfielder, and I'm thrilled to have him after all the defections we've been getting.

At the time of Bright's signing, we have 15 players, with no AMC, no backline or winger depth, and no third striker.

I notice something interesting on the boardroom screen.

Even though the local council rejected the plans, the board is still going ahead with the aim of building a stadium for ourselves within three years.

Speaking of finances, our official profit for the year is $60k, so we're rolling in the dough comparatively speaking.

Transfer In - DL Michael Ricketts - 22 - 4/5
Fairly well back due to our U21 kids, but he's got better pace/strength combination, which is what we need in our system.

Jordan Street and John Wigglesworth report back tired still, but everyone else appears to be fine.

My scout keeps recommending players who are under contract in the team meeting. It's like hello, we're an amateur side.

DC Tom Clarkson - 25 - 5/5
Reportedly our best central defender, so evidently we've gotten some great pickups with two of the three we have managed to bring in.

DC/MC Dean Strutt - 27 - 3/3
Strictly depth signing for the backline.

GK Paul Langford - 17 - 2/5
He'll battle Joe McLoughlin for the starting keeper job, and might actually manage to win out despite his youth.

Transfers Out
MC Andy Catley

DLCR Tom Morgan - 20 - 3.5/3.5
I'm going to have him work as a fullback, with the aim of making him the depth guy at DR.

Terrible news, as Paul Langford breaks his finger and is out 2 months.

Our assman can't seem to find anyone to have friendlies with, and I find out why. "It is likely Inkberrow U21s will find it too far to travel." Yeah, this whole no stadium thing is causing problems.

Holland wins the World Cup

More Transfers Out
DR Mark Bertram
MC Phil Lindley
MC Craig Mitchell

As of right now, we can field a green player at every position except AMC, which just happens to be in both of our formations. And everyone we try to bring in, even the scrubs, rejects us.

And then this happens:

Thanks. Like we're not under enough pressure already with all the players we keep losing, and our inability to find someone, anyone, to play a vital position in our system.

Transfer In - AMC/AMR/ST Simon Bloor - 17 - 1.5/3
*Finally* we land someone capable of playing the position. He's a young scrub, but I don't care.

Transfer In - ST Garry Shepard - 38 - 4.5/4.5
Yes, he's 38. He also happens to grade out as our best striker, and will be the team captain this season most likely. Oh, and he's our second non-English player on the squad, given that he's Welsh. Oh wait, third. Thomas Morgan is Welsh, too.

One of the perks of promoting up to Level 11? We get to play in the FA Cup, and we draw Atherstone Town Reserves in the first preliminary round. That's pretty damn exciting, to finally get into cup play.

Good Trains
GK Joe McLoughlin
GK Martin Grice

$2.27k profit and the board is thrilled with Inkberrow's growth in stature since I took over, even though we're still Obscure.

Transfer Out
Nathaniel Turner (U21)

vs Royal Electrical & Mechanical Engineers Arborfield
G: Joe McLoughlin
D: Michael Ricketts/Lee Craig/Tom Clarkson/Tom Morgan
M: Liam Bright/Joe Ward
AM: Patrick Lauber/Simon Bloor/Billy Akrigg

I'll let the assman pick our players to start the season. Bolded guys are brand new starters.

First half yields nothing exciting either way. Street goes on for Ricketts at the half.

47 - First time I've seen that for one of my teams. Lauber hits the corner kick, but the goalie bobbles it, and it goes in! 1-0

71 - Strutt in for tired Craig.

88 - Bloor starts a move and is on the end of it when he receives[ Haule's great pass, but the kid blows it by hitting the post.

89 - YOU STUPID MOTHERFUCKERS!!!!! ALL YOU HAD TO DO WAS FUCKING HANG ON!!!! 1-1

93 - If this wasn't my mom's laptop, I would totally throw the fucking computer against the wall right now. FUCKING HORSESHOE PLAY! 1-2

You bet I fucking scream at the team in the locker room. No excuse to fucking give up 2 god damned punk bitchass fucking goals in 4 motherfucking minutes. ABSOLUTELY NONE, YOU HEAR ME?!?!

I'm so angry I give no fucks about Patrick Lauber looking baller in training.

Look, you fucking staff idiots... WE ARE A FUCKING AMATEUR TEAM! STOP FUCKING RECOMMENDING PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY MAKE ENGLISH POUNDS! I KNOW POUNDS ARE FOR FATTY PEOPLE LIKE SUBBY AND NOT REAL MONEY, BUT JUST STAHP!

16th @Hove White Rangers (13th)
D: Lee Craig/Chris Black/Jordan Street/Tom Morgan
M: Dean Strutt/Liam Bright/Paul McDonnell
AM: Simon Bloor
S: John Wigglesworth/Garry Shepard

I called up a few U21 players because with 20 teams, our games played/season jumps from 28 to 38, so rotating guys in and out is more important. That also means we need more depth, by the way.

37 - Pretty sure he wasn't offsides, but we'll take it.

38 - Give and go between Wigglesworth and Shepard, with the elder setting up the younger on a beautiful defense-beating ball. Finally, we get an authentic goal for the first time this year. 1-0

46 - Great takeaway by Street and we finish it off with the 1-2 punch of Wigglesworth and Shephard, and almost the exact same move that got us the first goal. With the same player, too. 2-0

Half the team gets confused when I tell them not to get complacent, even though a bunch of them are looking like they've got this in the bag. Fortunately the other half responds well.

55 - Morgan has it on the wing after the pass from Bright. We've had about a trillion shots this sequence that have been snuffed out. Here's the pass to Bloor, and it's immediately sent on to Wigglesworth in the box. HELLO, HAT TRICK!!!! 3-0

65 - You fucking idiots. Way to kick it in the back of your fellow defender and have it bounce right back to the opponent. Street to DR and Ricketts in at DL, Clarkson at one DC spot, to sit Morgan and Craig.

74 - Bright passes to Shephard at midfield. There's a short kickback to Bloor, followed by a long ground pass to Wigglesworth. He cooly dribbles into the box, fires, and [b]that's goal #4!!![b]. Wow, just wow! 4-1

77 - Sigh. 4-2

81 - PK! AND IT'S WIGGLESWORTH WITH GOAL #5!!!!! Holy shit! 5-2

83 - Shephard gets the ball stolen in the box, but he nabs it right back and passes to Wigglesworth. AND WE HAVE GOAL #6!!!!! 6-2

Hot diggity damn! Unfortunately the YouTube login's not working, so I'll have to see if I can save the goals file and email it to myself, then upload.

This is probably the best our season will get, so I'm going to stop here, and just savor the moment.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:36 AM   #12
Izulde
Head Coach

If I'm being honest, I'm okay with not promoting. I'd rather see us keep building our money reserves and get a stadium in place. Except the board's bought into the media hype and expects us to win the Wearside Football League. Well shit.

We're going to need major upgrades at DR and AMC, then.

vs Atherstone Reserves (FA Cup Pre-qualifying 1st Round)
G: Martin Grice
D: Michael Ricketts/Lee Craig/Tom Clarkson/Jordan Street
M: Lloyd Edge/Joe Ward
AM: Patrick Lauber/Brian Haule/Billy Akrigg
ST: John Wigglesworth

He's awful at it, but Haule can nominally play the AMC, so he's in that spot now.

11 - 25 yard ball from Lauber to Haule, and a pristine pass into the box for Wigglesworth for the score! Hamlet gives a dramatic monologue about how our hot new young striker was offsides, but the ref ignores it. 1-0

21 - Our first competitive injury of the year sees Street out (by the way, the backline was my own devising - the assman was stupid in his selections). Black gets the call because I don't trust Morgan at all.

Brutal game so far. Three players taken out with injuries.

64 - Whatever. McDonnell for Ward. 1-1

85 - Double yellow for Craig. Strutt in at DC as we re-configure to keep a 4 man backline.

Truth be told, we were just damn unlucky today. Akrigg had a couple shots I thought sure would go in, and we didn't play poorly by any means. We lose Jordan Street for a month.

Patrick Lauber is appointed Captain and Garry Shephard Vice Captain on my assman's recommendations. Lauder's a long-term player (hopefully), so he's the better choice.

Transfer In - DLR Lewis Smith - 20 - 4/5
I dropped the pace and strength requirements way down to get this kid, so I wasn't getting all 15 and 16 year olds. My assman considers him our best right defender and it's not even close. 8/8 P/S, BTW.

@ Atherstone Reserves (FA Cup Pre-qualifying 1st Round)
D: Gareth Younie/Thomas Morgan/Tom Clarkson/Lewis Smith
M: Paul McDonnell/Joe Ward/Liam Bright
S: Garry Shephard/John Wigglesworth

38 - Ward completely misreads a pass to him, and they score 0-1

I pull Ward's retarded ass for Edge at the half. Sad state of affairs when we have to lean so heavily on our U21s.

54 - Game's over. 0-2

62 - Strutt in for Morgan, who continues to play so poorly, I'm going to flat out cut him.

63 - Fucking pathetic. 0-3

73 - Wigglesworth PK. What a fucking waste. 1-3

82 - They're lollygagging and [b]Shephard[b] creates his own shot to give us a fighting chance. 2-3

No, I'm not going to be sympathetic this game. You guys fucking blew it like a needy crackwhore.

Transfer In: AMC/MC/ST Benn Minshull - 21 - 2/5
At long last, someone else who can play the AMC spot. Can also cover both attacking wings as needed, so this is a major find.

8th vs Liver Academy (14th)
D: Michael Ricketts/Lee Craig/Nathan Black/Lewis Smith
M: Dean Strutt/Joe Ward
AM: Patrick Lauber/Benn Minshull/Billy Akrigg

1 - Smith on the wing with a cross to Haule, who heads it to Akrigg for the score. Amazeballs start! 1-0

15 - Akrigg wins the race for a loose ball and crosses it to Ward in the box. Lucky strike later, and we have a lucky double. 2-0

They're playing well, so I'll congratulate them on it and hope their form doesn't crash.

58 - Younie in for Craig, who to no one's surprise keeps making errors.

73 - Black to DR, Strutt to DC, and Bright in at MC, because Smith is wiped.

88 - Grice goal kicks to Akrigg, who hits a dribble pass into the box. Haule wins the foot race and pop shots it into the net! We've ourselves a real goalie controversy here. 3-0

7.5+
Billy Akrigg - 8.6
Brian Haule - 8.3
Joe Ward - 7.8
Michael Ricketts - 7.7
Chris Black - 7.5

The win jumps us up to 5th with 6 points. There's two promotion places, and there just also happen to be two unbeaten teams.

90 season ticket sales again. Not looking forward to board in a couple weeks. They're going to be mad we lost in the preliminary first round, as they expected us to make the first qualifying round.

But at least we're making headway in our chase for promotion.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:33 PM   #13
Izulde
Head Coach

Paul McDonnell leaves, but that's okay.

And then the bottom falls out. Patrick Lauber is the latest Inkberrow player to get a money offer and leave.

I'm so depressed, I don't care that Garry Shepard and Tom Clarkson are the recommended new captain and vice-captain.

Transfer In - AMC/AML Lee Blackshaw - 31 - 2.5/2.5
Big step down from Lauber, but is it what it is.

[b]5th @Westwood United (7th)
D: Michael Ricketts/Gareth Younie/Tom Clarkson/Neil Smith
M: Joe Ward/Binn Minshull/Liam Bright
S: John Wigglesworth/Garry Shephard

1 - 0-1

26 - Ward knocked out, so Blackshaw makes his debut.

49 - Nice pass by Blackshaw to Wigglesworth, who jukes past the D for he score. 1-1

69 - Double yellow for Ricketts. Sigh.

75 - What-fucking-ever. 1-2

We lose Joe Ward for 3 to 4 MONTHS.

6th @Breightmet United (11th)
G: Paul Langford
D: Lee Craig/Dean Strutt/Nathan Black/Tony Morgan
M: Lloyd Edge/Liam Bright/Benn Minshull
AM: Lee Blackshaw
S: John Wigglesworth/Brian Haule

7 - We've just had too many losses 0-1

12 - Off goes Strutt with injury. On comes Street.

Whatevertime - FK goal 0-2

71 - Own goal. K. 1-2

90 - PK. K. 1-3

At this point, it's only our promotion campaign last season that's saving me from being fired. Billy Akrigg leaves next, and I'm wondering why I didn't get out last year when I was a hot commodity.

I find a semipro team with an insecure team whose name and logo I like, and declare interest.

Good Trains
GK Martin Grice

Bad Trains
GK Paul Langford

My expressed interest puts even more pressure on the target club's manager, and the media is hot with a rumor that I'll be hired soon.

Whopping $75.16k profit last month, but my job security is downgraded to Very Secure, and is still based on last year. The semipro team tells me to fuck off. Ton of openings, but they're all Amateur.

We lose our next game 1-5, and Liam Bright for a month.

Looking at our team, we have the strongest,oldest, and heaviest average ratings. I have no idea what's good for that. But I will change to a slower tempo and retaining possession, since a bunch of heavy dudes can't be good for the fast tempo we're running. Particularly since we don't have the pace advantage we once did.

Lee Craig leaves next, and finally a couple semi-pro teams open up. One's asking for a mid-table finish and has solid finances. The other wants an upper-half finish, has a ton of injuries, and is paying off a loan debt. Loan debt team is automatically out.

The other team doesn't have the players I want to run my offense, and only has a $38k wage budget, $22k of which is tied up in two players who are absolutely not worth it. I'll apply anyway.

They're willing to give me a job interview, which I officially consider an awesome addition to 2014. Hope I don't blow it like I do team meetings. My interview is all about me maintaining status quo and making no demands of them, nor me boasting.

Next game features Michael Ricketts sent off on a red, two injured players for us, and a 93rd minute goal surrendered to lose. Our slower tempo and possession orientation seems to be working, though.

Dean Strutt is out a month. I've lost track of how many players we've had hurt this season.

The Inkberrow board wants to talk to me and see if they can convince me to stay. I'll consider it if they revise their expectations this season to be more in line with our talent.

Unfortunately, that's not an option. It's only possible to pick something else to be judged on in addition to our placement, or to build more facilities. Those aren't things I want or care about.

We hold a team meeting and it's the first one that works well.

The semipro team rejects me. We're 16th in the league, and have no realistically shot at the title. My only hope is the board gives me an extra year and that the expectations are more realistic then.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:36 AM   #14
Izulde
Head Coach

What if I built purely for speed? Or maybe I simply don't have the right players for the roles? Let's dig deeper.

GK
Joe McLoughlin (24) - 3/5
Martin Grice (16) 2.5/5
Paul Langford (17) - 2.5/5

My assman keeps starting Grice, even though I promised McLoughlin starting time. That needs to change.

DL - Fullback
Gareth Younie - 1.5
Michael Ricketts - 1
Jordan Street - 0.5
Thomas Morgan - 3.5 silver
Chris Black - 3.5 silver
Lewis Smith - 2 silver

Note that many of these guys are considered 4 and 5 stars, but they're not matching the player role I need from them.

DC - Central Defender
Gareth Younie - 4
Jordan Street - 3.5
Tom Clarkson - 2.5
Chris Black - 2
Thomas Morgan - 1
Dean Strutt - 0.5

So I've been giving PT to the completely wrong players here. I should be running Younie and Street out every single game, with Clarkson and Black as secondary guys.

DR - Fullback
Lewis Smith - 1
Jordan Street - 0.5
Thomas Morgan - 2.5 silver
Chris Black - 2 silver

Weak here, too.

MC - Central Midfielder
Joe Ward - 2
Liam Bright - 1.5
Dean Strutt - 0.5
Lee Blackshaw - 0.5
Benn Minshull - 4.5 silver
Lloyd Edge - 0.5 silver

Again, having them play completely the roles they're unsuited for. I'm starting to realize why we've been doing so poorly.

AML - Winger
Lee Blackshaw - 2
Benn Minshull - 4 silver

AMC - Attacking Midfielder
Benn Minshull - 1
Lee Blackshaw - 1
Brian Haule - 0.5
Simon Bloor - 4.5 silver

AMR - Winger
Lee Blackshaw - 0.5
Benn Minshull - 2 silver
Simon Bloor - 2 silver

ST - Advanced Forward
John Wigglesworth - 2.5
Garry Shephard - 2
Brian Haule - 2
Lee Blackshaw - 1
Benn Minshull - 4.5 silver
Simon Bloor - 2.5 silver
Lloyd Edge - 1.5 silver

ST - Deep Lying Forward
Garry Shephard - 1
John Wigglesworth - 1
Brian Haule - 1
Lee Blackshaw - 0.5
Benn Minshull - 5 silver
Simon Boor - 4 silver
Lloyd Edge - 1 silver

Very weird that Haule was able to dominate Level 12 then. But now I know why we're struggling so much.

One thing I noticed is that almost all my strikers are Target Men for at least 2.5 stars. Doing some quick reading suggests that Playing To A Target Man would be a good offense to run, with a structured format.

After some more tinkering, I come up with the following:

Defense
DL - Complete Wingback (A)
DC - Central Defender (D)
DC - Central Defender (D)
DR - Complete Wingback (A)
DM - Anchorman (D)
CM - Box-To-Box Midfielder (S)
CM - Ball-Winning Midfielder (S)
AML - Inside Forward (S)
AMR - Inside Forward (S)
ST - Target Man (A)

Team Instructions
Shorter Passing
Work Ball Into Box
Play Out Of Defense
Exploit the Flanks
Look for Overlap
Push Higher Up
Stick To Positions
Hassle Opponents
Use Offside Trap
Be More Disciplined

This is the ideal tactic. The problem is Liam Bright and Dean Strutt are out 2 to 3 weeks and Joe Ward is out 2 to 3 months. IOW, my midfield is decimated.

Transfer In - DM/MC/DR Tutu Henriques - 32
He can play all 3 positions and roles of DR/DM/MC flawlessly relative to the rest of our players, so this veteran is a major coup for the club and the new system we're working on.

Transfer In - MC Neil Barnfield - 30
Slightly better box to box midfielder over ball-winning, but with our injuries, he's a key capture.

17th vs Cleator Moor Celtic (12th)
D: Jordan Street/Gareth Younie/Tom Clarkson/Neil Smith
DM: Tutu Henriques
M: Neil Barnfield/Benn Minshull
AM: Lee Blackshaw/Simon Bloor
ST: Garry Shephard

2 - In the first minute, McLoughlin trips on the grass and drops the ball, but fortunately he's able to get it *just* before the opponents get there. Then a minute later, Blackshaw hits the corner to Younie's head for the score. Already it's looking better than our last two games. 1-0

29 - Forgot to set a second PK taker, but Bloor hits it anyway. 2-0

We're seeing missed shot after missed shot from Shephard and he's struggling, so Haule hops in at half.

56 - This time Blackshaw's corner has no luck, but Barnfield puts himself in perfect position to score a debut goal on the clearance! 3-0

Barnfield almost added a second goal, but the crossbar robbed him. What an amazing performance by everyone. Maybe it was the element of surprise with a new tactic, but we'll see how it goes.

7.5+
Gareth Younie - 8.1
Neil Barnfield - 7.8
Lewis Smith - 7.7
Jordan Street - 7.6
Simon Boor - 7.6

This makes me doubly happy since it's a home-brewed tactic based on the players I had, rather than the downloaded one I won promotion last season with. There's a ton of ground we have to make up, and I still need to devise a second tactic. But for now, this works.

I release Tony Morgan after the game. He just never fit here at all.

Transfer In - AMR/ST Harry Beckley - 21
2* Inside forward, but that's a big upgrade over what we have now on AMR. Not really suited to the Target Man role, but he's one of several strikers we have capable of playing a False 9, which is a wholly new role to me. But to do that, we'd need people capable of being a Shadow Striker, which is an awesome name and AMC role. It's a pairing designed for a possession-based tactic, so something to think about.

Transfer In - AML/AMR Jason Wood - 31
4* AML IF? Yes, please! This lets us move Lee Blackshaw over to AMR, or become a reserve. We're getting much better depth and strength on the wings now.

Transfer In - DR Steve Bantock - 26
2.5* Complete Wing Back, which isn't the greatest in the world, but slightly better than Lewis Smith with 2. It also gives us authentic depth there.

With all these new signings, we're going to work on Team Cohesion instead of Balanced over the next few weeks.

Transfer In - DL/DC/MC Nathan Jukes - 35
3.5* Complete Wingback, 5* BWM, 3* BBM. He's a lot like the Tutu Henriques signing - a versatile veteran we can slide all around the lineup, but one who will shore up a weak area to start with.

14th @Yarnton (10th)
D: Nathan Jukes/Gareth Younie/Jordan Street/Neil Smith
AM: Jason Wood/Lee Blackshaw

It's weird... ever since we switched to the new tactic, we've been underdogs by the oddsmakers.

The first half doesn't see any excitement, but I do pull Younie and Shephard at the half for Clarkson and Wigglesworth. Shephard is just not fitting in the new scheme at all.

87 - Red card for Clarkson and a PK. They've dominated us this half anyway. 0-1

93 - Blackshaw to Minshull to Wigglesworth. Shot's blocked, but Wigglesworth grabs his own rebound and scores the dramatically late equalizer!!! 1-1

I'll take that point. We played very much like a team with a lot of new players learning a new system today. That puts us still 14th and the promotion places are a long ways away at 9 and 10 points respectively. But we can gel together and there's still a ton of games left in the season. We've only had 9 so far, for goodness' sakes, and there's 29 matches to go.

14th @Collegiate Old Boys (2nd)
D: Nathan Jukes/Gareth Younie/Jordan Street/Neil Smith

Good Trains
Garry Shephard

Bad Trains
Michael Ricketts

$2.64k profit and my job security has been downgraded to Secure, the Board merely pleased. We need to start turning things around, so I think that'll be it for signings for now. Liam Bright resumes full training, by the way.

14th @Collegiate Old Boys (2nd)
D: Nathan Jukes/Gareth Younie/Jordan Street/Steve Blantock
M: Neil Barnfield/Liam Bright

Wigglesworth is the more exciting and dynamic player, so he'll get his chance to be the star up front after Shephard's struggles.

45 - And of course *right* before the half, Wigglesworth is knocked out. Haule in.

48 - Minshull in for tired Bright

68 - YOU FUCKING IDIOT, MCLOUGHLIN! YOU FUCKING GAVE IT RIGHT BACK TO THEM!!!! 0-1

78 - We'll take that won goal 1-1

90 - Fucking rejects. WE SHOULD HAVE FUCKING WON THIS GOD DAMNED MOTHER FUCKING GAME!! 1-2

That was just fucking terrible. We had them outplayed all game and two fuckups bury us.

15th vs Driffield Juniors (6th)
D: Nathan Jukes/Gareth Younie/Jordan Street/Steve Blantock

15 - Nice recovery by Blackshaw just outside the box after Bright's dispossessed. Lucky shot is lucky by Blackshaw, and I'm hoping keeping the same lineup and tactics for multiple games will help the team gel. 1-0

60 - Black for Street; Minshull for Bright.

An ugly win, but at this stage, every 3 points count.

Uglier: Gareth Younie is stolen away for a small money contract. This sucks, as he was our best defender.

Transfer In - DM/MC Junior Lewis - 41
He's ancient, but he's a great backup option for Tutu

13th vs Thirsk Falcons (10th)
D: Nathan Jukes/Tom Clarkson/Jordan Street/Steve Blantock

Lewis in at DM at half. It's been a dull game so far, with a couple offsides calls. Nothing like last year's or even the time before this's goal scoring bonanzas.

82 - Ugh. Double yellow for Bantock. Black in at DC.

I notice when we go to Rigid, we played a lot better, so maybe we'll try that from now on. Anyway, we grind out a draw.

13th @Waterlooville Social Club (8th)
D: Nathan Jukes/Tom Clarkson/Jordan Street/Lewis Smith

14 - Nobody cleared. 0-1

27 - I hate this setup 0-2

I replace Shephard at the half for Haule

53 - Great feed by Barnfield for Haule and the clawback 1-2

56 - Minshull in for Bright

68 - Second fucking straight game. Double yellow for Jukes.

85 - Whatever. 1-3

At the rate we're going, I'm going to be lucky to survive the season, even with promoting us last year.

Old 01-03-2015, 03:55 PM   #15
Izulde
Head Coach

Tweaked the team instructions to play much softer on defense given all the damn fouls we've been getting.

Good Train
Chris Black

Bad Trains
Michael Ricketts
Paul Langford
Garry Shephard

$211 profit. My job status is now Insecure. If we don't start turning it around, I'm going to be fired.

15th @Pinefleet Wolfreton (20th)
D: Michael Ricketts/Tom Clarkson/Jordan Street/Steve Bantock
AM: Lee Blackshaw/Harry Beckley

If we can't beat the worst team in the league, I deserve to be fired.

Twice in the game we get lambasted for terrible finishing. Well, the first half I mean. Awful team is awful.

74 - Minshull in for Blackshaw

75 - .... 0-1

Great. On top of it all, Joe Ward is signed away.

Paul Langford wants starts. I'll give them to him.

15th vs Hollinwood (19th)
D: Nathan Jukes/Tom Clarkson/Jordan Street/Lewis Smith

44 - ...Yeah. Don't get this engine at all. 0-1

48 - Will I be fired after this game? 0-2

55 - And that's Henriques knocked out. Lewis in.

85 - PK. 0-3

After that loss, the board says I have to meet with them or be fired. I'll go to the meeting, but at this point, it's mere formality. I point out the players were crap, and the board accepts that for now.

We bring in 27 year old striker Oliver Hughes to be our next experiment up front. Only he's ineligible due to two teams max rule

Pressure much?

18th vs Wadhurst (7th)
Same lineup as before, but a more direct, high tempo game.

5 - Heh. 0-1

46 - LOL. Just LOL. 0-2

71 - I think McLoughlin is throwing the game. He's flopping around like a Magikarp splash. DO U EVEN SPLASH, BRO?! 0-3

75 - Wigglesworth with a worthless score. 1-3

Ironically, as I'm waiting to be fired after the game, this happens:

What's that, FM? A Level 10 semi-pro team wants me?! I'M APPLYING!

Lee Blackshaw and Tutu Henriques are shredded in the media, as is Michael Ricketts.

The board is pissed at my chasing another job while I'm on the hot seat, so they give me a choice of resign or be sacked. That's bull, considering everything I've done for this club, so I resign.

I see a second semi-pro team open with a cool name, so I apply, and they're the first to offer me an interview. They offer me the job after the interview, but I want to hear from Continental Star, too, so I delay a week.

No word, but the club comes back next week with the same offer - $21.5k until the end of the year, with a 20% managerial compensation clause if I go elsewhere. They're also willing to give a $1k avoid relegation bonus. That all seems fair, but if they're going to put compensation on me, I want $24k. The board counter-offers with $23k, and we're all good.

Whitchurch United FC Jam Boys

What a great nickname. Makes me want some toast with jam.

Quote:
Semipro
Average Ticket Price: $6
Average Season Ticket Price: $98
Season Ticket Holders: 24
Value: $95k
Stadium: 2,000 (200 seated)
Basic corporate facilities
Poor training facilities
Basic youth facilities
Minimal junior coaching
Limited Youth Coaching
Wage Budget: $46.02k p/a

So all the wage budget has been spent on a squad that's 19th in the league. Around $26k is spent on the senior squad, the rest of it on the youth squad. ...That's not exactly a good thing.

I'm the only staff member besides the Chairman. There's a game today. Talk about being thrown into the frying pan.

First thing I do is look for an Assman. My old assman from Inkberrow wants too much money, but one of the old vets I signed is willing to be a Player/Assistant Manager for $2.1k, and he's a bargain at that price.

Whitchurch United was in the Wessex Premier League last season, but relegated down to the Combined Counties League Division One, where they're once again on the verge of dropping. $24.4k in debt and they keep losing money every month due to being over budget and having a terrible sponsorship that only pays them $1.81k a year. Happily, that ends this year.

We'll review the players before tonight's game. One thing that stands out, however - they have just one natural striker on the senior squad, a hothead who's out probably another month with a sprained ankle.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:33 PM   #16
Izulde
Head Coach

19th vs Pegasus Juniors (10th)
G: Kevin Miller
D: Dan Byrne/Ray Thompson/Steve Corris/Ben Delaney
M: Malcolm Prince/Duncan Russell
AM: Lynton Conroy/Stuart Woods/Michael Soar
S: Terry Pillinger

Don't get too comfortable with these names - I'm going to get rid of everyone. But for now, here's my old 4-2-3-1 in effect.

5 - Bitchass fluke goal 0-1

13 - Can't stop corner kicks 0-2

45 - Byrne one-touches a clearance to Conroy, who sends it to Woods. Dribble and shot later, and we're back in it. 1-2

88 - Since the half, we've had a player go out with injury, an opponent's goal disallowed to offside, another of our players sent off with a double yellow, and then this beauty.... a goal kick right into open space for the striker Pillinger, who launches a long kick that finds the net!!! 2-2

91 - Damn. 2-3

We lose Stuart Woods for 3 to 4 months with a hamstring injury. We also crash into the drop zone.

Transfer In - DM/MC Junior Lewis - 41
He's coming in both as a player and as an assman. Now I can finally start putting a true staff together.

We lose our next game 1-5 while I'm waiting for everyone to be released so we can start remaking the roster. That's not happening fast enough, so I flat-out mutually terminate or release on a free everyone except Lewis, who's ineligible anyway.

A ton of signings happen over the next several days, enough that we're able to put together a skeleton lineup that had one attribute to consider: Pace.

22nd @Glossup (10th)
G: Darren Guichard
D: Jean Khasa/Emanuel Otira/Paul Staniforth/Daniel Payne
M: Anton Astley/Gray/Gray/Matt Dodds
AMC: Drew Underwood
ST: Steve O'Connor

An LOL bad 0-2 loss.

Fuck this game. I can read and read and fucking read all I like and I can't ever do anything more than fluke promotions.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:18 AM   #17
Izulde
Head Coach

Self, it's one game with a whole new system, and entirely new players. WTF did you expect? Keep on keeping on. We also had two gray players.

Before the next game, we hire a coach and a physio, and bring in as pacey a central midfielder and striker as we can convince to play for us. Our transfer efforts in general are failing hard right now. Nobody wants part of a relegation candidate.

22nd @Yaxley (5th)
M: Anton Astley/Gray/Tegana James/Matt Dodds
AMC: Drew Underwood

43 - Khasa whips a long ball down the left wing for O'Connor, who then hits a long cross over to Dodds for the backdoor score. It's not only our first goal of the Izulde Whitchurch era, it's our first lead. 1-0

64 - For all the pace we're supposed to have as a team, we're sure getting beat a lot 1-1

74 - I'm not getting my contract renewed 1-2

89 - Whatever. 1-3

It's a bad idea probably, but I make adjustments to team instructions to play a slower, possession controlled, defensive type of game. Our talent level is consistently below everyone else it seems, and we just need to find out way out of the drop zone.

A couple more transfers in, giving us a full non-gray starting lineup for the first time ever. We even have an actual non-gray reserve. A whole two of them!

22nd vs Oadby (1st)
M: Anton Astley/Lewis Rolfe/Tegana James/Matt Dodds
AMC: Jon Fenton

Things aren't getting any easier for us, it seems. I also adjusted player roles to whatever people are most comfortable playing, and have my AMC and ST as attackers. Everyone else is either Support or Defend.

25 - It's James with the DFK goal just outside the box!!!! 1-0

56 - Here's Rolfe with an amazing blast all the way down the pitch after a clearance. O'Connor is completely on his own. He holds up play, however, and waits to center it to James. The pass then goes to the box, where a flying Fenton zooms in for the doubling! 2-0

66 - Time to go defensive. 2-1

75 - Underwood in at ML, Jelley in at ST.

AND WE PULL OFF THE MAJOR UPSET!!!!

7.5+
Tegana James - 8.3 - Player of the Match

That's not enough to pull us out of the drop, but it does move us to 21st with 22 games played. That's just over half the 42 games in the season, giving us plenty of time to climb out of the basement. The victory also snaps an eight match losing streak.

Our assman hates our keeper, by the way. Rates him as 0.5 silver stars, but at just $3k under the wage budget, we can't afford to make any big moves.

Extension - Junior Lewis - 2016 - Player/Assistant Manager
Takes a $200 a year paycut. I should have tried to sign him to a longer deal because $1.9k for a great assistant manager is a damned steal.

Everyone else I need to wait and see on. No one at the club makes more than $3,700 right now, but they're all asking for $4,000 or more - a bit too expensive for our wage budget. Especially since it's probably going to drop after this season.

21st @Bilston (22nd)
AMC: Jon Fenton

We do have another formation we're working on with two strikers, but I don't want to unveil it until we hit a game where we're favored.

35 - Fucking PKs. 0-1

Underwood for Astley at half, Jelley for O'Connor

85 - Rolfe to Jelley, who oozes a pass in the box for Fenton. The shot splits the defense to save a point potentially. They're screaming it's offsides. 1-1

This is game we should have been able to win. Instead, we're in the same exact boat as before.

Jean Khasa will miss our next game, and I should be trying to bring in someone to replace him.

Instead I stretch the budget to bring in this guy:

First guy I've signed for two years. Physically amazing and a set piece god. Also my first Scot signing of this dynasty. Other non-English guy is Daniel Payne, a Welshman. Had to pay him a $1.5k loyalty bonus and $25 goal fee to get him to come down from his initial demands. Board was blocking me *hard* on paying him more than 3.1k. Because for some reason, we're now 725 bucks in the red. Whatever.

21st vs Ely (12th)
D: Anton Astley/Emanuel Otira/Paul Staniforth/Daniel Payne
M: Drew Underwood/Lewis Rolfe/Phil Creaney/Matt Dodds
AMC: Tegana James
ST: Simon Jelley

15 - Sigh. 0-1

Seems a waste of all this pace not to go for a faster tempo, so let's reverse our slow, gradual course.

90 - 0-2

Another fucking winnable game pissed away.

22nd @AFC Croydon
D: Jean Khasa/Emanuel Otira/Paul Staniforth/Gray

16 - Lot of ping-ponging in the middle of the pitch. It caps off with Rolfe intercept-heading a ball to space for Jelley, and finally we have a striker score a goal. 1-0

21 - Creaney showing why I stretched to get him! FKG! 2-0

34 - Our keeper sucks 2-1

46 - FJGDKLJNBSFGLHSGOUHSOUGHO;AUGH;OAHSGOUHGOEY9FOGYOFHGO9FYG9FYGOFGHIOUASFHGIF9G7TAS9GHASP98GA!!! FAGGOTY ASS CORNER KICKS!!!! 2-2

A game we once again should have won.

22nd vs Raunds Town (14th)
M: Anton Astley/Phil Creaney/Matt Dodds
ST: Steve O'Connor/Simon Jelley

We're finally favored, so I'm going to unveil the two striker formation.

24 - James with a great long ball to O'Connor, who dribbles into the box, where he passes off to none other than James for the easy score. I think I'm slowly starting to figure this out. We're getting overwhelmed in the midfield, so I instruct the team to play wider, and this happens. 1-0

27 - Idiot fucking keeper with the terrible fucking goal kick. A gray player would be better at this point. 1-1

31 - HNFLAHNAGHSAIOLGHOASHFOS REBOUND ABULLSHIHAOGHOSAFHGOSHAGOSGHSA 1-2

35 KLGJASHJDGLJASHLGHASLG AS1-3

FUCKING TERRIBLE!!!

O'Connor gets hurt but whatever.

83 - Own goal. 2-3

90 - I'm dropping the keerps's bitch ass after this one 2-4

We lose Steve O'Connor for a month.

We're already in hock, so I go out and sign a goalie. I try to bring in Garry Shephard, but the board cancels it due to his wanting a staff position they're not willing to have.

22nd @Selby 7th
G: Niall Cooper
M: Anton Astley/Lewis Rolfe/Phil Creaney/Matt Dodds

Cooper, our new 23 year old keeper, is one of the best players at the club. Quite a change from the previous one, who was absolutely THE WORST. He's also signed through 2016.

63 - SSDD 0-1

82 - I quit. 0-2

84 - Underwood, who subbed in at ML, steals and scores. Don't care. 1-2

My job status is Insecure, so rather than go through all the hassle, I'll just resign and wait until the end of the year in May.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:35 AM   #18
Izulde
Head Coach

I kept getting Level 9 offers, but I didn't want to promote that way. So in the end, I was compelled to start again at the bottom.

Dersingham Rovers

Quote:
Amateur
Stadium: No, and no plans to build one apparently
Training Facilities: Good
Youth Facilities: Average
Average Season Ticket Price: $70
Season Ticket Holders: 139
Value: $875k
Balance: $457.9k

Yeah, almost half a million dollars. This is a rich club poised to do something. They were Level 11 the first season, but relegated down. Last year they were expected to finish 4th, but took 13th. Ergo, the vacancy.

Squad is all 16 and 17 year olds, bar a 32 year old.

I could try building a tactic around the players we have, but why do that?

Instead, I'm going to see if I can put together a successful 3-4-3 formation. It's what I used when I coached a U-14 girls' team, though we obviously didn't get much into tactics. A quick google search reveals an interesting one that's very simple. 3 central defenders, 2 defensive wingers (something I used in one of my home-brewed formations, incidentally, which I like quite a bit), an advanced playmaker, a ball-winning midfielder, two poachers, and a target man. I love that it's a flat 3-4-3, which is what I used.

Just two team Instructions - Go Route One, and Higher Tempo. That's it. Rigid, yet Overload, and the contradiction of the two appeals as well.

Goalie
Good Kicking and One on One

Defenders
Tackling

Defensive Wingers
Most important players with a lot to do... so I'm guessing crossing, acceleration, pace, and stamina.

Ball-Winning Midfielder
Tackling for sure. I'm also going to guess acceleration, pace, and stamina.

Advanced Playmaker
PPM - Arrives late in Opponent's Area, good long shots

Target Man
Heading, Passing, Long Shots

Poachers
Pace, Finishing, Dribbling

Only problem is no assistant manager to start working on this. Oi.

Another manager is shocked Dersingham Rovers hired me. I'll remember that, Beverly Town manager Tommy Forde. In his response he says:

Quote:
I feel for their supporters more than anything. It's a curious decision to say the least, and they'll be the ones who suffer.

Fawk.You.

I convince a 36 year old center back, Lee Coburn, to join on to be AssMan, even though he really wants to be a scout instead. He's too good to not be an assman, though.

Finding players who fit the bill for this scheme and who are willing to come to amateur side is difficult.

Transfer In - ML Andrew Gray - 17
My assman thinks he's just a backup compared to the kid already on the team, but I think he'll be a better fit in our intended new system. Already have him working on becoming a defensive winger.

Transfer In - MC Mark Davison - 18
Probably sucks, but I'm going to train him to be our Advanced Playmaker.

Transfer In - MC Adam Pullen - 18
Another long shot specialist I'm going to train as Advanced Playmaker.

Rejections abound. It's not good that we haven't landed a single player who could be considered Key by our assman's lights.

Transfer In - MC Andy Kenny - 21
*Finally* we land a key player, and it's a midfielder who can play the Ball-Winning Midfielder role to perfection (comparatively speaking).

Transfer In - GK Nick Hutchings - 30
A key player x2. Not great one on ones but 10 Kicking.

Transfer In - ST Kevin Dixon - 17
The only 10/10 Finishing/Pace player who would pay attention to us.

Transfer In - DC/MCNathan Jukes (36)
Yep. Used my Inkberrow connections to convince him finally to join us. Our best defender too, though our backline was said to be weak in the first place. Also a ball-winning midfielder candidate, as he's our best option there, too.

Looking at the rest of the roster, there's two guys who can maybe fit in as DC alongside Jukes and we'll be fine-ish. Maybe a decent Target Man, but there's no right midfielder worth having on this roster.

Transfer In - DC Michael Walker (31)
Another upgrade in the middle backline. Better than Jukes, even.

Transfer In - GK Keith Taylor - 17
He'll be our primary backup while he learns our methods. Between him and Hutchings, we'll be okay in the net for now.

Transfer In - ML Melvyn Ellington - 17
Will become our starting left midfielder. Needs more work before he can be a good defensive winger, but I'm excited to see how he does. Physical attributes, including 15 Pace, are ridiculous.

Transfer In - DC Adam Fawkes - 18
Has a ways to go, but a young guy to learn from our veterans.

Transfer In - ML/ST Joe Bower - 17
Finally a second poacher (12 Pace/9 Finishing). The plan is finally starting to come together...

Time to head out for a while, but the roster's slowly taking shape.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:47 PM   #19
Izulde
Head Coach

Bedfordshire Football League Division One Odds
Renhold United: 4-6
St. Andrew's: 4-5
Pavenham: 4-5
Dersingham Rovers: Even
Barnton: 7-4
East Villa: 7-4

Cool note: Downton wins the FA Vase

Transfer In - ST Marcus Cochrane - 18
Very, very excited. Elite Target Man for this level and instant starter. One thing I've been doing is finding low value kids and convincing teams to free transfer them out for no money.

Transfer In - ML/MR Chris Chaplin - 16
Finally someone capable of starting on the right wing and someone with two side versatility. Wonder what I have to do to get the board to go semipro, because if this young talent pans out, I'd love to lock it all up.

Transfer In - ST Gary Henry - 16
Another 10/10 Finishing/Pace. He'll be our starting poacher on one side for now because Bower is suspended from last season.

vs Radcliffe Olympic Reserves
GK Nick Hutchings
D: Nathan Jukes/Michael Walker/Andy Henry
M: Melvyn Ellington/Adam Pullen/Andy Kenny/Chris Chaplin
S: Kevin Dixon/Marcus Cochrane/Gary Henry

An 0-3 embarrassment. Going to try Balanced and Standard to see if that will help resolve the issues. We also lose Adam Pullen for 4-5 months. Great.

15th @St Andrews (9th)
GK Nick Hutchings
D: Nathan Jukes/Michael Walker/Andy Henry
M: Melvyn Ellington/Mark Davison/Andy Kenny/Chris Chaplin
S: Kevin Dixon/Marcus Cochrane/Gary Henry

27 It's Davison to [Dixon to Cochrane in a nifty straight center line, the latter hoofing the ball up and into the net. 1-0

28 - You knew that was going to happen 1-1

53 - 1-2

58 - Davison to Dixon to G Henry in a triangle, and a drop pass to Cochrane sees him power in his second goal 2-2

72 - Oh look, a corner goal allowed. 2-3

84 - Another goal surrendered 2-4

Yeah. This isn't fun anymore. Keep beating my head against the damn wall. Nothing's changed from 13. Done for now.

Old 01-06-2015, 02:57 PM   #20
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Sorry for interrupting this, but do you have the direct link to the Level 12?
Old 01-06-2015, 03:12 PM   #21
Izulde
Head Coach

I subscribed via the Steam Workshop. And interrupt away.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:23 PM   #22
Izulde
Head Coach

I'm sure I'll get fired again before long, but we'll keep going. I may just recap the results in summary. I'm betting it's just us still needing to get used to the formations and strategy and stuff.

Nick Hutchings and Nathan Jukes are appointed captain and vice-captain.

15th vs Woodley Reserves (11th)
1-3 loss, a late goal by Marcus Cochrane our only shutout stopper.

A Puerto Rican goalkeeper I didn't know we have gets hurt in training and is out 2 months.

16th @Peterborough Sports Reserves (8th)
I bench Andy Kenny and his 6.17 average rating for 17 year old Ernie Perfimou, who my assman keeps pushing on me anyway from the squad that was already here.

3 - Gorgeous long ball by somebody, maybe even Perfimou, 30 yards down the pitch to Dixon. His strike is deflected, but he follows through with his own rebound! 1-0

16 - A defender drills Dixon in the box and hurts himself. PK, and Cochrane, who has been an amazing striker for us, converts. 2-0

37 - Yep. 2-1

47 - Just before half, we get a counter move started that concludes with Cochrane holding up the play, then passing to Davison, who sends a lovely ball forth to Dixon for the latter's second score! 3-1

Gray and Evans go in at ML and DC at half due to injuries.

60 - We stink at defending corners 3-2

9.1 for Kevin Dixon and 8.1 for Mark Davison, who just might have won the starting job even when the injured dude comes back to full health. In any case, our first win of the year snaps a long losing streak and it also drags us out of what is apparently a drop zone.

12th vs Wicanton Reserves (16th)

11th - Chaplin dribbles it out to the right wing before crossing it to G Henry on the near post. Shot's deflected, and then the ball's taken away, but Gary fights to get it back and hooks a short pass to the middle where Cochrane puts it away 1-0

18 - :/ 1-1

71 - Kenny in for Davison; Paul Duncan, a leftover, for Dixon

Yeah, we couldn't lose that one. Two weird things happen, though. 1. The board is okay with me having a shit month. 2. We lost $19.6k last month.

Our backline is consistently putting up poor ratings, though I don't know if it's them or the system. I'm not bringing in new people unless my scout specifically features them as a Top 3 player.

Transfer In - MC Bobby Hopkinson - 25
Like most of the guys we bring in, he can play multiple positions. In fact, he's a natural DR. But for us, his amazing technical skills, including 11 passing, will be used at MC. Only bad part is, he's an absolute dud in terms of his physical skills. Still, I'll make him our BWM and see how he does.

Although Mervyn Ellington didn't have a good start to the season, he's been doing okay in training according to my staff, so he won't be replaced yet.

13th @ Shefford Town & Campton Reserves (6th)
In addition to Hopkinson at BWM, Joe Bower finally comes in as a starting poacher, replacing [b]Gary Henry[/], who has done nothing much his first several games.

The first half sees Hopkinson go off with injury, so Kenny goes back in. They also go up 0-1.

49 - Chaplin dribbles down the right wing and hits it to Bower in the box. He doesn't shoot, though, instead centering to Cochrane, who continues to be our most balla baller. 1-1

59 - Own goal by Ellington. He'll sit next game. 1-2

Cochrane gets screwed twice after that with poor offsides calls.

We drop to 15th, which is in the relegation zone. We also lose Kevin Dixon for 2-3 weeks and Bobby Hopkinson for a month. FML.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:15 AM   #23
Izulde
Head Coach

The losing continues in the next match, a 1-3 defeat. Nathan Jukes gets sent off in the first minute and is suspended for 3 games. My assman tells me to drop half the team. We're in last place.

And yet, I have a weird sort tranquility about it. A kind of resignation that I'll always be stuck in this pit of suckiness.

$3.24k profit last month, but my job status is Very Insecure. It's October. I may not make Thanksgiving. Hell, maybe not even Halloween.

16th vs Paulsgrove (7th)
GK Nick Hutchings
D: Paul Whitehead/Michael Walker/Andy Henry
M: Melvyn Ellington/Mark Davison/Ernie Perfimou/Colin Lewis
S: Gary Henry/Marcus Cochrane/Joe Bower

Whitehead, Perfimou, and Lewis are Dersingham holdovers who are newly starting because of assman insistence/shit play from guys I've brought in.

7 - PK, and Cochrane converts! He's tied for the lead league in goals scored before this game, by the way, so at least I made one great signing. 1-0

We win, but we damn sure don't deserve to. I tell them to focus on next match and not get complacent since I don't have the option to tell them they sucked ass even though we won.

14th @Chadderton Reserves (9th)
Same lineup with exception of Ian Evans at DC for Andy Henry, who's struck with food poisoning. Oh, and get this: We won last game, yet the media says if we lose I'll be fired. Whatever.

35 - Fantastic interception by Walker, who plays an even more amazing long ball for Gary Henry. Stride, stride, and POW! 1-0

53 - I think Ellington has been unfairly bashed, and he rewards me here with a brilliant takeaway followed by a short pass to Henry. Longer pass to Cochrane just in the box and we've a double! Are we finally turning the corner? 2-0

85 - Cochrane got knocked somewhere and I missed notification, but see green cross. We give one back here.

88 - Unfucking believable. 2-2

Ian Evans dropped to a 5.9, and Ellington did finish with a 6.3 Those guys overall shit the bed for everyone else.

And of course we lose Marcus Cochrane for a month. So many injuries. Oh, and before the game Paul Duncan, our iffy Target Man replacement for Cochrane, signed a money youth contract with a semipro team.

14th @Pavenham (5th)
Scott Johnson replaces Evans at DC. Kevin Dixon is back in his poacher role and Austin Hayward, a holdover, gets Target Man nod. Colin Lewis switches to ML and Bobby Hopkinson is back, too, but he'll try MR, since Davison and Perfirmou are doing well enough there.

Another second half collapse and we lose 0-2.

Transfer In - ST Sam Isted - 18
Supposedly his best position is as Target Man, but I see him as a Poacher. He'll play the Target Man role for now though.

15th @East Villa (12th)

16 - Perfimou to Bower to Isted... and instant impact debut goal! 1-0

26 - Oh you have 13 PK? Let's see you get the shot blocked, Hopkinson.

70 - Here we go again 1-1

73 - Out goes Dixon again. Switching to a 3-4-1-2 with Davison at AM, Kenny at MC.

81 - Bower on the corner, but it's deflected. Davison kicks the rebound in for his first goal of the year and we drop to Contain. 2-1

88 - What's that, FM? ANOTHER FUCKING LATE COLLAPSE?! 2-2

Oh, and we lose Kevin Dixon for 3-4 months.

$18.99k lost last month. Board wants to meet with me over the Chris Chaplain signing. They keep raking me over it and acting like general assholes. Fortunately they don't fire me.

15th @Barnton (13th)
Isted moves to Poacher because Cochrane is back. Jukes will get the BWM trial.

30 - Simple long kick from Hutchings to Cochrane's head. Bower bags the bounce, dribbles into box, and shoots swiftly. 1-0

42 - Yeah. 1-1

50 - ....1-2

55 - Off goes Cochrane again. Sigh. Gary Henry, shifty and all that.

62 - Pink slip coming? 1-3

We lose Marcus Cochrane for 3-4 weeks.

Some youth goalie we had signs elsewhere. I don't notice.

Next Game
It's Andrew Gray at ML, Colin Lewis back to MR. Gary Henry back as Poacher; Sam Isted back as TM. Oh, and Perifmou (sp) is returned to BWM.

7 - Rare great tackle by Johnson to start a move that ends in Gray crossing to Bower for the firm header strike. 1-0

14 - Long buildup on the right flank ends in Lewis to Bower to Isted, and foot sink. 2-0

50 - Gary Henry takes the PK after Isted is nailed... and converts! 3-0

Amazingly we don't collapse. 7.5 for Scott Johnson, and 8.2 each for Joe Bower and Sam Isted. That may have bought me time.

Almost $28k lost last month. Not sure where the money is going. Boobirds still circling.

vs 1st place team in league
Going to give Adam Fawkes a try over Whitehead at DC.

Flat 0-2 loss. We're now 6 points away from safety zone.

Board meets me with again. They want 10 points in the next 5 games. That's 3 wins, a tie, and a loss. Totally not achievable, and I tell them that, so they fire me on the spot. It's December 5th.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:40 PM   #24
Izulde
Head Coach

It doesn't take me long to get a new job. The end of February.

Hengrove AFC - The Grove

No stadium as they're a Level 10 Amateur side. Housecleaning of staff as per usual. This time I'm going back to a four man backline and trying a 4-4-1-1 setup with attacking wingers in the ML/MR position, attacking AMC and AF, with a BBM and AP in support, CDs in defend, and fullbacks on automatic.

Also, for the first time, I ask to be judged on something else besides results - bringing in young kids for the first team. It's something I can do.

Transfer In - MC/MR George Zuerner (27)
Uh, okay, so my first signing wasn't young. But this Thai midfielder has pace, acceleration, determination, and stamina all at 10 or higher (13 Pace), and will be an attacking right winger.

6th @ Black County Rangers (19th)
G: Terry Carter
D: Ricky Iles/Dean Axon-Smith/Peter Firth/Sam Klukowski
M: Ian Edge/Josh Westwood/Alex Neville/George Zuerner
AM: Stuart Ball
S: Osita Adenyi

10 - Ball with the free kick, and he crosses to Firth for the sink. Good to see I'm able to make use of the guys already on hand. 1-0

18 - And of course they get a PK 1-1

20 - Westwood, who gave up the PK, redeems himself by striking a long ball free kick into the net for his 7th goal of this season. 2-1

45 - Bullshit call. Adenyi was onside. Way to waste a beautiful pass by Zuerner.

50 - FUCK YOU! HE WAS OFFSIDES!!!!!! 2-2

65 - Justin Rush in for Neville and gray guy in for our Thai guy.

70 - Gray guy dribbles down the right wing and crosses far post to Edge, who *just* edges in the header. 3-2

8.3 for Josh Westwood as Player of the Match. 7.4 for Ian Edge and 7.2 for Peter Firth. 5.5 for Sam Klukowski, however, and our fullbacks looked terrible overall, so that's something we need to address.

We're still 6th, but just 3 points out of a promotion place. 31 games played, and there's 42 in a season, so I just might be the guy who comes in and gets an upper half team to an unexpected promotion.

Transfer In - MR Willliam Dickson - 18
Pace, Teamwork, Flair, Technique all 10 or better. Can also play Advanced Forward in a pinch. He might see Zuerner moved back inside.

Transfer In - MLC Melvyn Ellington - 17
I think he got stuck in a bad system for me in my previous job. His play improved after the new guy came in. Ian Edge was great that first game, but he's also 37 years old and retiring this season. I still believe in Melvyn's ridiculous physical stats (12 or higher in everything but 10 Jumping Reach, 7 Stamina, 7 Strength).

Transfer In - DLR/ML Andy Hare - 18
Jumping, Fitness, Leadership and Pace are all 11+. Immediate DL over the terrible Ricky Iles. Can also play ML competently so he could see time there as we mold the roster.

MC/MR Sam Tanner - 17
13 Pace, Acceleration. Also very high Aggression, which players I'm starting not to like in our setup, so he'll be a backup.

6th vs Fairford (22nd)
D: Andy Hare/Kevin Khan/Peter Firth/Sam Klukowski
M: Melvyn Ellington/George Zuerner/Alex Neville/Will Dickson
S: Ian Edge

Some more new players, but also shuffling of positions. It's against a weak side, so we can afford to that. Kevin Khan is a holdover who was hurt when I came in.

45 - LOL! Dickson runs down the right wing, and short crosses to the near post where Ball heads it. It's the weakest dribbling ground header I've ever seen in FM, and yet it does just enough to roll past the keeper and the line for a score. I'm still laughing. 1-0

First time I've ever had a team listen at half when I tell them not to get complacent.

55 - Edge gets absolutely flattened and the ball bounces away. Ellington uses his 15 Pace to beat everyone, dribble down the pitch, and short cross to the recovered 37 year old Edge, playing striker for the first time this season. In it goes! 2-0

58 - Heh. Opponent scores, but he literally knocks himself out of the game on the header. Axon-Smith on for the struggling Firth; Westwood for the tiring Neville. 2-1

63 - I'm looking smart after we're awarded a penalty and Westwood converts for the insurance goal. 3-1

7.8 for Ian Edge. We didn't play as well this game as last, but that's to be expected with all the new faces and positions we had in the lineup. We move up to 4th, but are now 4 points back. The team we were 3 points behind for a promotion spot must have had a game in hand. The first place squad *does* have a game in hand, and should win the league outright.

Still looking to upgrade the backline, as our central defenders aren't great and I still don't trust our DR.

Transfer In - DC Stuart Cattall (27)
10+ in Bravery, Concentration, Determination, Work Rate, Jumping, Pace, Stamina, Strength. In other words, a perfect and major upgrade to our shallowness at the back. Stoked as hell.

Youth Intakes
Only one guy impresses me much, and he'll be signed. Everyone else is a wash.

4th vs Sporting Khalsa (5th)
D: Andy Hare/Kevin Khan/Stuart Cattall/Sam Klukowski

There's a DR starter upgrade already on the team, but he's hurt. We'll have to stick it out with Sammy Boy until then unless we can con a transfer. There was another kid we almost brought in, but he failed his physical.

Ball blows 3 easy shots, and it's a 0-0 tie at break. Westwood will go on for him at half. Another position we need to upgrade.

I'm putting down the dull 0-0 draw to a need for a better AMC. Now 6 points out of promotion spot, with 9 games left. So it's probably out of reach for us. You never know, though.

At least we're doing okay in my first few games. Maybe I can actually make it two whole seasons with this group.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:19 PM   #25
Izulde
Head Coach

My mistrust of the youth candidates is borne out when they're skunked by the gray U18 team 3-0.

4th @Hinskey (19th)
D: Andy Hare/Kevin Khan/Stuart Cattall/Benjamin Phillips

Phillips is the lone U18 player I liked. He's a big upgrade over the pile of suck that is Sam Kolwaski. Still having trouble getting an AMC and a young striker, but overall, I'm liking how this team is shaping up.

5 - Damn right he was offsides.

25 - Khan fucked us with a terrible pass 0-1

Adenyiyi takes over at striker at half, as Edge is knocked.

53 - Axon-Smith on for Khan.

We give up 2 straight corner kick goals and go down 0-4 before we get a meaningless late score

That was a terrible second half. Worst I've seen in ages. We also lose Ian Edge for about a month.

Deadline Day
Transfer In DLC Paul Adams - 17
Amazing upgrade. Could start at DL or DC. Which is best will still be up in the air, though I'm currently leaning towards him on the left side, as Andy Hare has struggled.

Transfer In - DCR Kerry Mills - 18
Not as big an upgrade as Adams, but absolutely stellar physical attributes (all 9 or better), who becomes our starting DR guy.

Transfer In - ST Alex Ryan - 15
He may only be 15, but he's got exceptional Teamwork (14) and has 10+ Pace and Finishing. He's also our absolute best striker and immediate starter.

Transfer In - ST Jevin Seaton - 20
A backup striker but a damn good backup striker. We have actual depth there now.

We frantically chase another fullback to move Adams inside and an AMC upgrade, but neither of those things come to fruition. Still pretty happy with our overall haul.

4th @Barnoldswick (8th)
D: Paul Adams/Kevin Khan/Stuart Cattall/Kerry Mills
AM: Joe Westwood
S: Alex Ryan

73 - Tanner gets his debut at MC and Ball goes to MR to replace the tired guys. It's been a completely dull game.

And of course Ball is hurt immediately after he gets on the field, but he'll run it out. They threaten a couple of times, but we never do.

5th @Clanfield (13th)
Same lineup.

14 - Grr 0-1

40 1-2 between Neville and Ryan, and the former sinks it home. 1-1

64 - Tanner in at MR, Phillips at DC.

66 - We keep getting screwed on non-calls for offsides 1-2

84 - Zuerner steals the ball on a clearance and feeds it to Tanner in the right corner of the box. Hook shot's in! 2-2

We're suffering from morale problems so I'll take the draw.

A couple injuries hit, the biggest of which is Paul Adams out for over a month.

6th vs Bedfont & Feltham (12th)
D: Andy Hare/Kevin Khan/Stuart Cattell/Kerry Mills
M: Melvyn Ellington/George Zuerner/Alex Neville/Sam Tanner

11 - Bullshit penalty. 0-1

64 - Ryan gets the ball in the box and shoots. Misses. Rebounds. Defense all around him, so he hook shots it in for the tie. Ball in MR, Firth at DC. 1-1

We just can't seem to break through for a win. Kerry Mills gets a 2 match yellow card ban on top of it.

6th vs London Lions (1st)
D: Andy Hare/Kevin Khan/Stuart Cattell/Benjamin Phillips
M: Melvyn Ellington/George Zuerner/Alex Neville/William Dickson

For some reason, Hengrove is hugely in debt. I have no idea why.

2 - Great composure by Zuerner to steal the ball. He passes to Westwood, who slices a pass right to the streaking Dickson for the score! Since we're against a tough team, we'll go Counter the rest of the way. 1-0

12 - Westwood and Ryan exchange passes, and the 15 year old striker I'm quickly coming to like slams one just inside the box. 2-0

35 - We are just unstoppable today! Carter kicks a clearance and Ryan heads it to Ellington, who RACES ALL THE WAY DOWN THE LEFT FLANK AND SHOOTS IT INSIDE THE BOX AND SCORES!!! 3-0

46 - Carter goal kicks and Ryan heads it forward to Westwood. Short dribble and long shot cracked... and it's in just before the half! 4-0

54 - They had to work hard for that one. 4-1

64 - Ryan to Westwood to Neville... the shot's blocked... but Neville follows through and hits the rebound!!! 5-1

70 - Still okay. 5-2

76 - Time to start worrying. 5-3

82 - Ball and Tanner in at MR and MC.

7.8 for Alex Neville, who the last manager signed just before I got there, 8.3 each for my speedster Mervyn Ellington and my kid wonder Alex Ryan, and 9.0 for Joe Westwood. Not pleased with how our backline fell apart in the second half, though. 4 games left and we're 7 points out of a promotion spot. Doesn't look likely, but with 60 points, we're guaranteed of finishing at least 10th, which fits the upper half finish the club was looking for.

Particularly sweet for Ellington, who's been bashed by the fans again despite a decent average rating. We destroy the previous contemporary Hengrove combined goals record by scoring 8 in that game - 5 being the previous high.

5th @AFC Kempston (18th)
D: Andy Hare/Kevin Khan/Stuart Cattell/Benjamin Phillips
M: Melvyn Ellington/George Zuerner/Alex Neville/William Dickson

I'm going to try running Counter for the rest of the season to see how it does. I also dropped the other tactic I was training the team in, because it was one of my old ones that didn't make any sense.

6 - Mutter. Suppose Ryan was offsides.

67 - Bleh. Tanner at MC, Ball at AMC. Switch to Attack. 0-1

Just a flat game.

The culprit behind all the money we're losing is scouting costs. A ridiculous $237k spent the last two months. Board gives $40k cash infusion but it's not enough.

I immediately cancel scouting assignments for the rest of the year.

5th vs Radstock (19th)
M: Melvyn Ellington/Alex Neville/Sam Tanner/William Dickson

Looking ahead to next season, we need an AMC, obviously. We also need an Advanced Playmaker at MC who's worth their salt. And of course, there's the raids to worry about. But first things first.

4 - Tanner backpasses to Westwood, who long shots it to Neville. A few strides through the mist later, and he has his 4th goal of the year, this in his new BBM role where he's a star by my scout. 1-0

12 - Uh.... our goalie literally DROPS THE FUCKING BALL AND IT ROLLS BACK INTO THE NET! 1-1

13 - Just score all the goals why don't you 1-2

15 - LRTJaorghosaghoasghoashgfosafhgoasg 1-3

Jevin Seaton and Peter Firth get ST and MC nods at half.

51 - Brills interception by Khan, who kicks back to Hare. Then to Ellington and on to Westwood for the firm score to claw back. 2-3

60 - PK for us, and Westwood converts! 3-3

83 - A second PK!!! Westwood again!!! Switch to Defensive. 4-3

9.5 for Josh Westwood, who amazes with his overachievement and 7.7 for Melvyn Ellington, who is finding his footing in our system.

2 games left and we move back up to 4th. There's no hope of promoting, as the top two teams have automatically clinched promotion already. Kevin Khan said my screaming at the team at halftime motivated them. Thanks, bro!

Good Trains
Ricky Iles
Alex Neville

Bad Train
Ian Edge but he's retiring so whatever.

$49.5k loss last month due to scouting thing. Poor financial position blah blah blah. That'll sort itself out. Board's satisfied.

4th @ Mole Valley (11th)

Well damn. A kid who used to play here says Joe Westwood is amazing. I make an offer to him for the fun of it.

26 - Rainy day is sloppy football. Ellington slides everywhere. But I'm here to rave about Tanner hoofing the ball down to Dickson, who dribbles the rest of the right flank before centering to Ryan, who heads it in. 1-0

29 - Dickson does a great job of distributing passes in this move, and on the last, he takes a ball from Mills, and once again centers to Ryan, who this time hoofs it in. 2-0

35 - Dickson with the corner, and KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAN kicks it in for his first goal of the year! 3-0

42 - Another corner by Dickson. This time the goalie jumps in to deflect, but Cattell has the goal wide open, and he puts it away like nothing. 4-0

62 - Great pickoff by Cattell, and it ends in a Neville/Westwood/Ryan chain, with my favorite 15 year old striking it home. 5-0

80 - Khan is sent off with for his second yellow. Doesn't matter.

The worst guy on the roster had a 7.2, and that was our goalie. That's how absolutely dominant we were this game! And a game after Joe Westwood gets the hat trick, Alex Ryan does!

Just one game left and we'll finish somewhere between 3rd and 6th.

Deeping Rangers wins the FA Vase

Southampton wins the FA Cup

The board pours in another $45k. Loving the financial support they're showing after my scouting oversight.

Future Transfer In - DR/DC/MC Oliver Wells - 17
Hooked me in with his 17 Bravery, 11 Flair, 11 Teamwork, 13 Work Rate. And his 4.5* rating to be an AP. Can play the other two positions in a pinch, though best at DC.

4th @Bedfont Sports (8th)
D: Andy Hare/Paul Adams/Stuart Cattell/Kerry Mills

10 - Westwood wings it out to Neville on the left side of the box. Neville centers back to Westwood, who by then has made his charge up the pitch. Goal is good. 1-0

18 - LOLerskates throw by the opposing goalie sees Dickson first touch intercept and shoot for the easy double 2-0

53 - Didn't think he was offsides, but we'll take that.

92 - Lazy. 2-1

8.3 for William Dickson, who took a while to find his form for us, but once he did, he really did.

And so we finish 3rd for the season and have a good foundation going forward... *if* we can prevent raids. And of course, from my Inkberrow experiences, raids will happen.

I won't go in-depth on players or anything since I got here so late in the year, and it's uncertain who will be around next season. But it's on to a hectic offseason.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:07 PM   #26
Izulde
Head Coach

At the post-season meeting, I open up by saying we should go for a top half finish again. None other than George Zuerner, the Thai midfielder who was my first signing, and the only non-English player on the team, says we should challenge for promotion. That's the mood of most of the rest of the team, too, so I say okay to that. That upsets Kevin Khan some, and really pressures Sam Klukowski, but Sam is a non-factor in our setup now anyway, and Khan is the most replaceable of our defensive center backs.

Good Yearly Trains
Kevin Khan
Peter Firth
Melvyn Ellington
Benjamin Phillips
Alex Ryan

Great to see a couple of my signings on there.

Not great - sponsorship deal drops from a combined $14.53k a year to $14k a year. Ian Edge officially retires and becomes a Scout. He played two and a half seasons with us, his most successful his last.

Future Transfer In - AMC/MC Joe Shelmerdine - 26
Not the greatest player, but still depth in the midfield and someone who can fight Joe Westwood for the starting spot next year.

Future Transfer In - GK Andrew Kemp - 27
Heads and shoulders above every other keeper on the roster, and yeah, that's a couple of veteran players being brought in, but if we're going to challenge for the title next year, we need these things.

Ugh. Scouting got turned back on. How do I turn it off permanently? We keep losing massive money when it gets turned on.

$37.22k lost last month and we'll keep losing because of the scouting issue. $103k a month on scouting. I'm pretty sure it's a bug. Anyway, board is pleased.

Another $45k from the board. I keep checking scouting every single time there's a stoppage to make sure it doesn't turn back on. If it does, I have to fire my scout.

BBIAH.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:41 AM   #27
Izulde
Head Coach

Before we switch over...

Quote:
Stature: Amateur/Obscure
Finances: Insecure (Damn scouting)
Average Season Ticket Price: $98
Season Ticket Holders: 53
Value: $9k
Debt: $60.4k after board infusion
Facilities are all poor I think

As for previous clubs?

Inkberrow
Forced the guy after me to resign. They're still expecting to win the league but finished 6th. If they're building that stadium still, it should be there next summer.

Whitchurch United
Dropped to Level 10 and destroyed the rest of the league with 101 points to go back up. They dumped everyone I brought in but Phil Creaney. Way to make me feel dumb, guys!

Dersingham Rovers
Jumped up to 9th by season's end, but they're also the target of raid attempts right now.

Interesting. I've just been asked if I want to scrap the youth setup to save costs. That sounds like an interesting idea. Let's do it and see what happens.

Josh Westwood is the clear Fan favorite of the year. He really flourished in the AMC role.

Team must have run a 4-4-2 for most of the year because that's what the Best 11 is. Alex Ryan is the only one of my signings to crack the first 11. Interestingly enough, Ryan also makes the reserves of the All-Time Best 11 as the last member, despite only making 8 appearances.

We change leagues, moving to the Kent Invicta league after having been in the Hellenic League Division West the last two seasons following the demotion from Western Premier.

There will actually be friendlies this year!!! Billy Barr will be responsible for managing the team in exhibition games, as I can't be bothered with them. Unfortunately, my retarded assman scheduled one friendly for when the players are still on holiday.

Sam Tanner and Oliver Wells report back very tired, so they get another three weeks off.

Transfer In - AMC/MC/ST/ML Andy Butcher - 17
Might get an AMC starting spot, but will largely be depth at a few different positions I'm guessing.

Loan In - AMC/MC Leigh Haystead - 19
10+ Penalty Kick, Composure, Determination, Flair, Work Rate. He'll be a season-long loan, and right now, he should be our starting AMC, because we can't find an elite one to join us.

Croatia wins the European Championship.

Kent Invicta Promotion Odds
Wroxham Reserves: Even
Kirkley & Pakefield Reserves: 5-4
Hengrove Athletic: 6-4
Deeping Rangers Reserves and Dereham Reserves: Both 5-2

So we're one of the favorites to win. Seems right considering our run last year, and the team getting more comfortable with our tactic. We weren't hit by raids so far, either.

The board pours in another $60k, which puts us in positive balance for the first time in a long time. We're still projected to be back to 53.7k in the red by the end of the year, but as long as we don't go on expensive scouting trips, we should be okay.

We lose Alex Ryan for 3-4 weeks right before the season start.

vs Deeping Rangers Reserves
G: Andrew Kemp
M: Melvyn Ellington/Alex Neville/Oliver Wells/William Dickson
AM: Leigh Haystead
S: Jevin Seaton

A change in GK, at AP, and AMC. Otherwise, this is pretty much the same batch as we had at the end of last year, injuries aside.

17 - Sigh. IDFK goal. 0-1

43 = 0-2

63 - Butcher at ST, Phillips at DR 0-3

80 - Meaningless CK goal on Adams' header 1-3

Good Trains
Gareth Lloyd
Melvyn Ellington
Andrew Kemp

Bad Trains
Ricky Iles

We lose Kevin Khan on a $12.75k deal, so we need to go DC depth shopping now.

Board is satisfied and of course we have profit due to injection.

Transfer In - DC Grant Monelle - 30
Physical beast. Only one attribute there below 10 and that's a 9. Mental attributes aren't great, but he's a backup.

vs Peterfield (English FA Cup Preliminary 1st Round)
M: Melvyn Ellington/Alex Neville/Oliver Wells/William Dickson
AM: Leigh Haystead
S: Jevin Seaton

3 - WTF is with this team? 0-1

Tanner at MC and Monelle in at DC at half.

59 - ?!?! 0-2

The whole team sucked ass this game.

Joe Shelmerdine goes down for 3-4 months, just when I was about to give a shot at the lineup.

I appoint Melvyn Ellington as captain. My boy freaks out, the team gets pissed, and the former captain, Sam Kluwoski is mad.

20th @South Kilbourn (15th)
D: Paul Adams/Stuart Cattell/Benjamin Phillips/Kerry Mills
M: Melvyn Ellington/George Zuerner/Oliver Wells/William Dickson
S: Alex Neville

Major lineup shakeup to try and get rid of the underachieving players.

33 - Sigh. 0-1

37 - Westwood on a corner to Cattell's head and we're level. 1-1

Firth in for Wells at half.

[b]51]/b] - Adeniyi at ST 1-2

70 - WHY THE FUCK IS THIS TEAM SUDDENLY SUCKING FAT DICK WHEN IT'S THE SAME FUCKIGN SHIT AS LAST YEAR?!?! 1-3

William Dickson goes down 3-4 weeks.

19th vs Dereham Reserves
M: Melvyn Ellington/George Zuerner/Oliver Wells/Sam Tanner

29 - Before the game, I added the Work Ball Into Box team instruction, as I noticed we had a lot of long shots in our first two league games. Westwood pops a pretty pass to Neville. Shot rattles off the crossbar, but the opposing goalie is slow to get up, so Neville follows through and it's an easy put-in. 1-0

48 - [b]1-1[/b

69 - Haystead at MC, Lloyd at DL. But before that happens, Mills has a long, long cross to Neville, who slips it forward to Zuerner for the Thai tie-breaking goal 2-1

7.6 for Phillips, 8.9 for Alex Neville. We finally break the streak, though it wasn't the greatest of games.

Old 01-10-2015, 07:04 PM   #28
Izulde
Head Coach

53 season ticket sales, same as last year.

13th @Gillingham Reserves (22nd)

13 - Bitch ass luckyfuck shot. 0-1

18 - Wells bump up to Neville and center pop to Westwood for the score. 1-1

Haystead on for Wells at the half.

80 - Zuerner to MR; Firth at MC.

89 - It's the Westwood corner to Cattell's head show! 2-1

91 - You know that cockpunching bullshit was gonna happen 2-2

So fucking frustrating.

11th vs Bedfont & Faltham (14th)
M: Melvyn Ellington/George Zuerner/Oliver Wells/Stuart Ball

6 - These assholes drill two of our guys and score on top of it. 0-1

9 - 0-2

30 - WHY THE FUCK DOES THIS SHIT KEEP HAPPENING TO ME?!?@ 0-3

31 - LNAGFOAFGHAHGOHAOGHIBVA9OPBHAE9GH09HTO36O4H598Y3TG9HVGOE 0-4

We lose 1-5. I expect I'll once again be fired by Christmas.

$7.74k profit, as we continue healing our budget. Board is satisfied still despite our struggles.

Melvyn Ellington is a rising star in development

vs Bardon (FA Vase 2nd Round)
D: Paul Adams/Stuart Cattell/Benjamin Phillips/Gareth Lloyd

George Zuerner refuses to mentor Melvyn Ellington. Jerk.

Peter Firth left the team for another amateur side before this match. Kerry Mills got blasted in the media so he'll sit this one.

They're two levels above, so the 1-4 loss shocks no one.

17th vs Maidenhead Reserves (3rd)
M: Melvyn Ellington/Liam Haystead/Oliver Wells/Will Dickson
S: Osita Adeniyi

32 - Goal kick by Kemp takes a favorable bounce. Westwood wins and scores 1-0

73 - K. 1-1

How about I just let you all know when I'm fired?

I vaguely recall my assman saying a 4-2-3-1 tactic would work in preseason, but maybe I'm mixing numbers around. Anyway, I'll try that over the next few games.

16th @Mole Valley (6th)
M: Alex Neville/Oliver Wells
AM: Melvyn Ellington/Joe Westwood/William Dickson

49 - Heh. 0-1

83 - Neville to Ellington and the pass into space for Ryan, who beats the keeper. 1-1

17th @AFC Croydon (1st)
D: Paul Adams/Benjamin Phillips/Grant Monelle/Kerry Mills
M: Melvyn Ellington/Alex Neville/Oliver Wells/Sam Tanner
AM: Andy Butcher
S: Osita Adeniyi

42 - Butcher hits Phillips on the corner for the goal. 1-0

59 - Yeah. 1-1

80 - Duh. 1-2

81 - Adeniyi scores. Don't care. 2-2

19th @Wednesfield (10th)
Our keeper got hurt before this game for 2 weeks with nasty flu, so last year's keeper is in. It doesn't matter.

We lose 1-2. Just waiting to be fired again.

$7.89k profit, and board is still satisfied because of all the kids I've hired.

20th vs Shortwood Reserves (21st)
D: Paul Adams/Stuart Cattell/Grant Monelle/Kerry Mills
M: Alex Neville/Oliver Wells
AM: Melvyn Ellington/Joe Westwood/William Dickson

3 - Ellington with the race down the flank and cross to Ryan for the head-in. 1-0

11 - Westwood converts the PK. 2-0

15 - Late as shit offsides call there, assholes.

49 - Wells sent off on a bullshit red.

53 - Here we go 2-1

58 - Ellington to Westwood, who gives a perfect feed to Ryan. The kid hesitates to make sure he's onside, then shoots for the insurance. 3-1

61 - ThatLoanKid on for injured Dickson.

76 - They'll tie or win by end of game. 3-2

83 - Fucking TOLD YOU 3-3

I resign the next day. Sick of this RETARDED FUCKING STUPID GAME ENGINE THAT NEEDS A GOD DAMNED FUCKING PHD TO DO FUCKING ANYTHING!

Old 01-11-2015, 12:47 PM   #29
Izulde
Head Coach

So yeah. I suck so much at this game, that with my players and a new 4-4-2, Hengrove won the damned league. They were playing a number of guys out of position (red line) too, at several points.

I powered through to 2018 to see if Inkberrow had a stadium yet, and no. But that was the planning stage, so maybe one is being built now? I don't know, but i takes so long to sim, I don't want to find out.

Going to just restart instead with a whole new universe and dynasty.

Old 01-11-2015, 12:51 PM   #30
Izulde
Head Coach

Oh, and when Hengrove promoted to Level 9 (Western Premier in the County Leagues) they turned Semi-Pro, which leads me to confirm that basis.

Guys Hengrove Penned To Contracts That I Signed
Andrew Kemp - $8.5k

They also signed Alex Neville to a $3k contract. And they're 6th in the Western Premier as of January 1st of the new season.