Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-13-2014, 08:43 AM   #12651
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Why pay so soon?

Short answer: Because I don't like owing the IRS money.

Longer answer (but still summarized): My wife got us in major debt without me knowing to the point I thought I was going to have to declare bankruptcy. But I used every trick in the book I could, worked side jobs, saved like a madman and paid everyone off without renegotiating or defaulting. The IRS bill is the last piece of getting out from under the massive debt load. So it will feel good to FINALLY be dug out from that hole with the only ongoing debt being owed is on the car (for two years) and the house (and both being extremely manageable).

As an aside, my credit score is now fucking awesome - like over 800.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:19 AM   #12652
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post

Longer answer (but still summarized): My wife got us in major debt without me knowing to the point I thought I was going to have to declare bankruptcy. But I used every trick in the book I could, worked side jobs, saved like a madman and paid everyone off without renegotiating or defaulting. The IRS bill is the last piece of getting out from under the massive debt load. So it will feel good to FINALLY be dug out from that hole with the only ongoing debt being owed is on the car (for two years) and the house (and both being extremely manageable).

You deserve ---

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:25 AM   #12653
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post

I get that, there's nothing like digging out of a financial hole.

The wife getting you into debt thing is one of the things that scares me the most about marriage. I have no idea if you're talking about spending generally or a specific thing your wife did, but I get so stressed about handling my own financial affairs. That's good to a degree, it keeps me frugal and on top of things, but I can't imagine how I'd be able to hand over some control. I guess I could, but I'd have to be a pretty big budget-nazi from the beginning.

Last edited by molson : 02-13-2014 at 09:26 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:14 AM   #12654
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I get that, there's nothing like digging out of a financial hole.

The wife getting you into debt thing is one of the things that scares me the most about marriage. I have no idea if you're talking about spending generally or a specific thing your wife did, but I get so stressed about handling my own financial affairs. That's good to a degree, it keeps me frugal and on top of things, but I can't imagine how I'd be able to hand over some control. I guess I could, but I'd have to be a pretty big budget-nazi from the beginning.

My wife doesn't work and so and she was supposed to be in charge of the finances and other domestic issues. When I wanted to spend something significant I'd ask her if we had the money. She'd say yes. Ok, no problem - she knows the books.

I knew we had a little debt but once I finally got a look at the bills and found that number was about 5 or 10 times what I thought. It was staggering. Yeah, it caused major problems. So now I make sure I'm more involved with the finances because obviously she can't manage them solo.

Still, I've been married for well over 20 years now...so it's still been worth it.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:35 AM   #12655
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Why pay so soon?

I guess I would ask the question "why not". Even if your tax bill was more than 10K and you had some sort of investment vehicle that paid at 0.5% per month (6% annual return), two pretty big "ifs", that's $50. And I think very few people fall into either of those categories. I get the "don't give the government an interest free loan" angle but that only applies if you're making something off of that money. Sometimes it's better to just have a bill off your plate.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:42 PM   #12656
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Also when I was out shopping I found a french door refrigerator at sears that was on sale from 2599->1304 with free delivery. I bought some sears gift cards at Giant eagle and saved $5.60/gallon on gas(30 gallon max fill). I figure once spring hits I can top off the car and fill up all of the mower jugs I have, hopefully getting like close to $150 worth of free gas. Now it's time to start saving for a gas stove. I really hate the ceramic top I have, but it was a pretty high end unit and I know I'll struggle to make any money selling it on craigslist.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:07 PM   #12657
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Also when I was out shopping I found a french door refrigerator at sears that was on sale from 2599->1304 with free delivery. I bought some sears gift cards at Giant eagle and saved $5.60/gallon on gas(30 gallon max fill). I figure once spring hits I can top off the car and fill up all of the mower jugs I have, hopefully getting like close to $150 worth of free gas. Now it's time to start saving for a gas stove. I really hate the ceramic top I have, but it was a pretty high end unit and I know I'll struggle to make any money selling it on craigslist.

Wait.
How does that work?
$5.60? DO they pay you a credit per gallon?
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:19 PM   #12658
stevew
Hall Of Famer

So you get 10 cents off per $50 spent at the store in general. Then you get an extra 10 cents per gallon for gift cards. Each fill up is limited to 30 gallons. So max value is essentially 12% off in gas if you max out value(by using gas cans to get the full 30 gallons). So with $5.60 off it would be 100% free for the first fill up and like 2.30off/gallon for the subsequent fill up.

You would have cleaned up on this program. I hear of contractor guy who buy Lowes cards by the 1000s and get a ton of free gas.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:22 PM   #12659
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

RIP, Hank the Cat (the Cat who ran for Senate in 2012, and apparently finished third on the ballot)

Campaign Manager Matt here -

It is with amazing sadness to inform you that Hank passed away today in our arms just before 5pm EST. Hank fought to his dying breath in the same way he fought in his political career - with bravado and strength unmatched even in humans. Simply put though, there seem to have been a combination of factors that just didn't allow Hank to prevail, including a heart murmur with developed into congestion, along with anemia and a number of other serious things to deal with on their own, let alone when fighting a very large cancer mass.

Hank was our baby boy, and our pain is immeasurable - but we let him know all throughout his long night last night, and right up until his final moments, that he was loved by so many, and that he had done so much for so many critters. Hank's amazing story will continue to live on, and as we often see with the most amazing trailblazers (such as Tuxedo Stan), they change the world and leave before we're able to truly appreciate them.

We greatly appreciate all of the well wishes, thoughts and prayers sent our way. Hank was always so very humble with regards to his celebrity, but we were so incredibly proud of all he achieved. Each night I'd carry my baby boy up to bed, and he would snuggle into my legs and 'milk' them before settling in to sleep - and I'd often think about how very lucky I was to have this famous cat, loved by so many out there, curling up with me to sleep through the night. I will miss that most of all. If you were lucky enough to meet Hank in person, or want to share a story about how you heard about Hank's campaign in the comments below, feel free to do so. Hank is looking over all of us tonight, and I'm certain he's got a happy kitty smile with half-closed eyes of contentment.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:11 AM   #12660
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I find I am way to harsh on myself when I get negative, or even constructive, feedback at work. It literally puts me in a foul mood for hours or days.

I'm receptive to it and learn from it, which is the goal, but it still puts me in a terrible mood.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:12 AM   #12661
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The eBay case lives on!

I do a lot of thinking in the shower- it seems like the time my mind is most calm. After giving them a day last week to investigate with UPS after I had already found out they sent it to the wrong address, I was mad. In the shower, I started thinking about all the things I was going to write and how I just wanted my money back. To me, it's almost like a dream, as soon as I leave the shower, I have to write things down or I'll forget them just like dreams- the thoughts just disappear and they're never coming back.

Once I finish typing up some notes, I go to eBay and see they've responded to the case with a new 2-day tracking number and an apology. Ultimately, I just want the pair of items before I leave on the trip. All the frustration aside, this is still the desired outcome so I'm both relieved but skeptical as things have just not gone well.

Yesterday, I come home and find a package on my doorstep. Huzzah! It's a little damaged and poorly shipped but I don't care. I go inside and open it up eagerly, happy for this all to be over. And, in the box... ... ... (wait for it)... ... ... (no, really)... ... ... one item. I look at the box and notice a hole in it and wonder if someone had taken one of the items out. I look on the packing slip: order for 1 item. I can't help but just start laughing.

So, a couple of days left until I leave and I'm still 1 item short. Sigh.

SI

Old 02-14-2014, 08:20 AM   #12662
PilotMan
Head Coach

Dude. That. Blows.

but is still a little funny.

Like Steam?

Old 02-15-2014, 05:15 PM   #12663
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I just made one of my best dinners ever.....There wasn't a scrap on the kids plate..

best part, I improvised the entire thing...

Roasted Garlic and Red Pepper Pesto Tilapia. Side of Sauteed Zucchini and a salad.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:27 PM   #12664
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

DELICIOUS!!! I'M HUNGRY NOW!!!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:05 PM   #12665
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Pastor dies after snake he was handling bit him
Old 02-17-2014, 07:24 PM   #12666
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

And, after all of that, the second item arrived. It only took 3 1/2 weeks and a bunch of grief that should have been on the seller. I think this is just one of those where I'm not going to leave feedback or leave neutral feedback. I'm trying to decide and I think I'll sleep on it.

SI

Old 02-18-2014, 10:47 AM   #12667
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

Hard to feel sorry for him. Idiot.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:11 AM   #12668
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

Welcome to Kentucky!

Like Steam?

Old 02-18-2014, 12:32 PM   #12669
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Yeah - that was my thought as well.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:37 PM   #12670
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:

Pretty much this.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:43 PM   #12671
molson
General Manager

Interesting perspective on who the global rich are (it's us).

Global Rich List

I'm in the top 0.15% of the world by income level. And I live in a 700 foot square house.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:47 PM   #12672
CraigSca
Pro Starter

oh my, I HATE us!
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:12 PM   #12673
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
This probably does deserve its own thread:

The zero-G pics of Kate Upton for the SI swimsuit edition are spectacular.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:02 PM   #12674
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

This day can just fuck off and die already.

1) Found out profits were a bit lower than last year.
2) Slipped and smacked the back of my head on the icy steps at my parent's house.
3) Just busted the base of this stone statue I had on my end-table when I hit it with a bowl walking by.

WTF is next?!?!?!!
Old 02-20-2014, 12:40 AM   #12675
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
This day can just fuck off and die already.

1) Found out profits were a bit lower than last year.
2) Slipped and smacked the back of my head on the icy steps at my parent's house.
3) Just busted the base of this stone statue I had on my end-table when I hit it with a bowl walking by.

WTF is next?!?!?!!

I show up at your house dressed in Kate Uptons glorious Zero-G swimsuit.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:40 AM   #12676
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

I knew they could float!
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:19 AM   #12677
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Nothing like getting woken up first thing in the morning by your wife informing you there's no hot water.

Hopefully the guys working on my basement just unplugged something or whatever, 'cause it definitely ain't working.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 02-20-2014 at 08:19 AM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:22 AM   #12678
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:

I wholeheartedly agree. Nice to see a girl with a little meat on her bones too.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:23 AM   #12679
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:

"Thinning the herd"
Old 02-20-2014, 08:31 AM   #12680
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Very true - that did help redeem the day a little.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:08 AM   #12681
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:

Global Rich List

I'm in the top 0.15% of the world by income level. And I live in a 700 foot square house.

Get 'im! Let's redistribute his wealth!
Old 02-20-2014, 12:04 PM   #12682
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Global Rich List

Interestingly enough, I'm in the top 1% of earnings in the world but only around 15% in wealth. Probably has to do with being young and not having a lot of equity in our house. I think land values in Europe, Asia, and parts of the US contribute towards a lot of wealth that people have derived from their house.

SI

Old 02-20-2014, 03:32 PM   #12683
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

If you aren't willing to get a job in the area that you got your degree in, you kind of give up the right to complain about lack of work.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:34 PM   #12684
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Interestingly enough, I'm in the top 1% of earnings in the world but only around 15% in wealth. Probably has to do with being young and not having a lot of equity in our house. I think land values in Europe, Asia, and parts of the US contribute towards a lot of wealth that people have derived from their house.

SI

Yeah - this
Old 02-20-2014, 03:53 PM   #12685
chadritt
High School Varsity

top .08% and I live in a 1 bedroom 700 square foot apartment that is considered underpriced....LA is strange.

Last edited by chadritt : 02-20-2014 at 03:54 PM.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:52 AM   #12686
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The new Red Dawn remake was not considerably worse than the original. It was highly derivative as all remakes are. The plot of the North Koreans(lol) invading us was pretty silly. I love how they were kind of racist and just went with "well, these guys are all asian, they were originally Chinese but we'll just make them NK and nobody will think about it twice."

Anyways, I thought the battle sequences in this one were far better than the original but the characters in the original were better. It's on Netflix, and boy is this movie short. It says 1:33 but it felt like 60minutes or so. I'd give it like a C-, but it's watchable.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:49 AM   #12687
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Man - my coworker is in a bad mood.

Asked how his weekend was: "Busy." No elaboration. "How was yours?" he asked, so I told him a little. That was all he's said in the last 3 hours until I just went by and asked if his wife was starting her new job today, to which I got another short answer.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:38 PM   #12688
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Sooooooo today was haircut day, except I blinked and found out that my barber and I (different one then normal) have very different ideas of "Just barely enough to comb" mean.

I blinked, and 90% of the hair on my head disappeared. just the "bzz bzz bzz bzz" of the clippers. I thought I could see the hair flying as this woman went to work. By the time I could think of formulating a protest, it was already too late, I'd have to have her finish the job anyway.

So I wandered around Wally World (where I got the hair cut) looking for a winter hat for comfort (it's still pretty cold here in the northeast) and to cover it up.. but believe it or not, even though it's still February, Wal-Mart no longer sells winter caps. The only ones they had were Duck Dynasty branded, and I'd rather suffer than to give money to those folks.

So... now I look like curly with an 8 week growth of hair since his last shave. I've posted the result to Facebook.

My friends are all supportive.

Who am I kidding? One saw the new haircut and said "Foz, I regret to inform you that the National Forehead Association called and reclassified that (pointing to my forehead) a five head"

Last edited by SirFozzie : 02-24-2014 at 10:44 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:08 AM   #12689
Logan
Head Coach

I usually have the problem of the barber not taking off as much as I want, so I have to be really aggressive with the "don't be shy" comments.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:34 AM   #12690
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Sooooooo today was haircut day, except I blinked and found out that my barber and I (different one then normal) have very different ideas of "Just barely enough to comb" mean.

I blinked, and 90% of the hair on my head disappeared. just the "bzz bzz bzz bzz" of the clippers. I thought I could see the hair flying as this woman went to work. By the time I could think of formulating a protest, it was already too late, I'd have to have her finish the job anyway.

So I wandered around Wally World (where I got the hair cut) looking for a winter hat for comfort (it's still pretty cold here in the northeast) and to cover it up.. but believe it or not, even though it's still February, Wal-Mart no longer sells winter caps. The only ones they had were Duck Dynasty branded, and I'd rather suffer than to give money to those folks.

So... now I look like curly with an 8 week growth of hair since his last shave. I've posted the result to Facebook.

Who am I kidding? One saw the new haircut and said "Foz, I regret to inform you that the National Forehead Association called and reclassified that (pointing to my forehead) a five head"

Just be glad that at our age is still grows back!
Old 02-25-2014, 12:01 PM   #12691
Kodos
Resident Alien

Anyone else think this guy looks like....

Spoiler
Old 02-25-2014, 06:18 PM   #12692
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post

I was getting my hair buzzed very short for a few years after it started thinning. My wife kept bugging me to just shave it. I told her that I have a weird ridge on the very top and it would look funny shaved but after awhile just said why not, got out the Bic and went to town.

So then go into the next room where she is -- "OK honey, I finally took your advice".

She looked at me quietly for a good 45 seconds and then said "Well, maybe a little hair is alright."
Old 02-25-2014, 06:39 PM   #12693
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Florida Woman Calls 911 For Sex: "I Haven't Been Penetrated in Years"
Old 02-25-2014, 07:00 PM   #12694
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The only misstep I see in the whole Toy Story series IMO is the "When She Loved Me" Jessie song sequence. Just saw some pretty strong evidence on HuffPo that suggests Andy's mom was the original owner of Jessie. Andy and Jessie's owner both share the same vintage hat. Amazing easter egg if that's what was intended.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:12 PM   #12695
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Toy Story: The True Identity of Andy's Mom Makes The Movie More Epic | moviepilot.com
Old 02-25-2014, 10:40 PM   #12696
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I wished there was a way to be subscribed to a Youtube channel and be able to edit out all of the sub channels it has. Geek and Sundry is totally that way and Dice Tower is getting there.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:22 AM   #12697
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Does anyone have the Magic Mouse or Magic Trackpad by apple? I recently got a used Mac Pro, but I can't bridge the gap from a 20 dollar pc mouse all the way up to a Magic Trackpad at $70. I like all the gestures my macbook air does, so I guess this would really be similar.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:24 AM   #12698
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
I wished there was a way to be subscribed to a Youtube channel and be able to edit out all of the sub channels it has. Geek and Sundry is totally that way and Dice Tower is getting there.

The nerdist channel was like that for me until I unsubscribed. Lots of stuff I liked, but then they'd mix in some Harry Knowles BS and I had to bounce.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:36 PM   #12699
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Somedays I wonder what makes twitter so special. And then I see this and get it

PFT Commenter's exclusive interview with former Braves pitcher John Rocker | Kissing Suzy Kolber
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:29 AM   #12700
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

This conversation happened at my house this morning.

Wife to son- " you have show and tell at school today, what do you want to bring"

Son- "I don't know mommy, can you help me pick something"

Wife to son- " How about your one eyed monster"

Me- " err"

Last edited by Lathum : 02-27-2014 at 06:29 AM.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote