Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-13-2019, 12:00 AM   #18651
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Ok, I started writing on my video game blog again, and I'm going to copy one post here (just one), because it's not about video games. It's about sports. Specifically sports on tv. And what I would do if I was starting DSN (Dave's Sports Network). Hint: OLD YELLING MEN NEED NOT APPLY!

If I was building a new sports network from the ground up, I’d have one core rule. NO TALK SHOWS. No The Herd. No First Take. No Pardon The Interruption. My network would host two things.

Sports (and preferably live sports/first-run sport)
Sports Highlights.

24/7. I know old men yelling at each other is nice cheap programming for the networks, but man, I can’t stand sports talk radio because it’s people rehashing the same thing over and over and over. Sports is great specifically because you never know what you’re going to get at the start of a game, while with talk shows we KNOW what we’re going to get. Hot takes designed for sound bites, with people arguing things they don’t even believe.

I love sports. I am a fan of many sports, even stuff that’s not normally popular here in the US. Stuff like Aussie Rules Football, the various types of Rugby and even cricket. ESPN is to blame for the Aussie Rules addiction, it was cheap programming filler in the old days, and it seemed so bizarre, with the umpires in heavy coats in hats, finger pointing to announce goals, the giant flags.

It was a whole another world.

A world I fell in love with.

Now, my addiction is a set of channels

One is the Fox Sports networks, primarily Fox Soccer Plus (yes it still exists). It hosts Rugby League, Aussie Rules and Soccer. 97% of their content is live sports, or reruns of live sports. If I want to veg out and watch a game, I can just tune in to it at any time. Add to that BeIN Sports, which again, is 95% event-based programming, and believe it or not, Willow TV, which is 95% either highlights of events or airing the events themselves (cricket can be such a long game that it’s the ultimate comfort thing to watch in the background while doing things (for example, typing up this article).

So, my sports network? SPORTS. NOTHING BUT. Between airing whatever major sports I could get my hands on, re runs of those events late at night, and time-shifted sports events from elsewhere.. That’s my gig.

I just wish others shared my view and got rid of the screaming hot takes.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:10 PM   #18652
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I like PTI, I just don't need 7 knockoffs. Just like I like Outside The Lines but I don't need 80% of Sportscenter talking about politics or race or gender issues in sports, or trying to be an extension of social media. So for me 23 hours of highlights based Sportscenter & live (real) sports/tape delayed random sports, with 30 minutes each for those would be great!

Last edited by BishopMVP : 07-13-2019 at 07:11 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 08:14 PM   #18653
Suicane75
Coordinator

My Network would be 12 hours of old tapes of Sports Channel America overnight tickers and everything else would be roller derby, Australian rules football and lingerie flag football.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 08:22 PM   #18654
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
My Network would be 12 hours of old tapes of Sports Channel America overnight tickers and everything else would be roller derby, Australian rules football and lingerie flag football.

I think they're the Legends Football League now.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:55 PM   #18655
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science...ok-ncna1029246

So who's in?
Old 07-15-2019, 05:58 PM   #18656
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Old 07-17-2019, 11:48 AM   #18657
JPhillips
General Manager

I had no idea that Robert Schuller's Crystal Cathedral in Orange County, CA is now a Catholic church.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:35 PM   #18658
molson
General Manager

The concept of Social media influencer is so amusing to me. I especially love it when people in the industry, whatever industry this is, just call them "influencers".

I think I'm going to become a social media influencer. I'm not sure where to start. Maybe I'll record myself discussing which of my girlfriends handbags looks nice. The handbag company would pay me to say their bag looks nice. I think that's how this works. People eat this shit up.

Last edited by molson : 07-19-2019 at 12:44 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 02:47 PM   #18659
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
The concept of Social media influencer is so amusing to me. I especially love it when people in the industry, whatever industry this is, just call them "influencers".

I think I'm going to become a social media influencer. I'm not sure where to start. Maybe I'll record myself discussing which of my girlfriends handbags looks nice. The handbag company would pay me to say their bag looks nice. I think that's how this works. People eat this shit up.

The hard part seems to be getting to the threshold of followers where it becomes profitable. 100k is a pretty magic number in some niches, 1m is the magic in others.

I mean, I see quite a lot of this stuff. We have video game influencers. We have music influencers. My wife is friends with several fashion/makeup influencers, I went to HS with (and dated) one myself. Hell, some people (falsely IMO) assume that I'm one myself.

My weekly Spotify/YouTube playlists have been around for several years now but in the past 18 months or so I've started getting offers from utterly random bands wanting to pay me to add them. (Going rate seems pretty standard in the $150 - $200 per add range, though I've been offered as much as $240)

I have less than 500 followers on the two accounts combined (though the non-subscriber traffic to my YT is a LOT higher than that, thanks to some quirks in how YT delivers search results and the resulting clicks on those).

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-19-2019 at 02:48 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 03:55 PM   #18660
molson
General Manager

I know advertising is the backbone of so much our entertainment industry, but it's still kind of bizarre to me that people get super into a Instagram or Youtube account which is basically just a commercial.

This is all on my mind because I just watched the Netflix Fyre Festival documentary. How they paid supermodels to come down and hang out with some pigs on the beach and make some social media posts, and that resulted in a staggering cultural buzz and an instantly sold out fake festival. I guess it's not that different than Michael Jordan endorsing Wheaties or something, but, I though we had gotten savvier about that kind of thing at some point. In that Michael Jordan made Wheaties more recognizable, but, we didn't actually believe he was personally endorsing Wheaties. But if you pay some supermodels, or, at a much lower expense - some douchebag video bloggers, everybody sees the content as entertainment itself and not an advertisement, and I guess as a genuine personal endorsement. ("this model is clearly having a great time - I'd like too also, so I'll pay $10,000 for this product which doesn't even exist and hope for the best!")

Last edited by molson : 07-19-2019 at 03:59 PM.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:23 PM   #18661
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I know advertising is the backbone of so much our entertainment industry, but it's still kind of bizarre to me that people get super into a Instagram or Youtube account which is basically just a commercial.

It's replaced TV in enough places (or demographics) that it makes sense I think.

Another couple of decades and we'll see Adam The Woo doing "paid endorsement" spots for Colonial Penn.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:17 PM   #18662
lungs
Pro Rookie

I've got a fair number of 60+ year old friends on Facebook for whatever reason. They seem to all get 'hacked' at once and my news feed fills up with "HEY BERTHA YOU GOT HACKED GOT A FRIEND REQUEST."

I can proudly say that my parents are never among the hacked.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:37 PM   #18663
Edward64
Head Coach

New mid-engine Corvette is out. Priced at "under $60K".

It looks pretty good IMO. Wife would probably let me buy one if I really, really wanted one. But tbh, it probably wouldn't be my daily driving car (and I'd be worried to leave it at the airport parking lot). Just not practical for me.

Introducing the Next Generation Corvette | Mid-Engine Sports Car

Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:49 PM   #18664
thesloppy
Pro Starter

That Corvette is pretty slick looking, but to my eyes it sure looks a hell of a lot more like a Ferrari than any kind of classic Corvette lines, for better or worse.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 07-19-2019 at 09:50 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:39 PM   #18665
JPhillips
General Manager

I love the new Corvette and I'm generally not a Corvette guy. It would, though, have to be a second car. I'd love to drive it in my fantasy life, but I'd hate driving it for the mundane things I actually do.

The red, though, looks so much better than the blue.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:17 PM   #18666
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

While its totally a legit thing if you have hundreds of thousands of followers, stories like these always make me happy:

hxxps://www.barstoolsports.com/barstoolu/heroic-beach-club-owner-tells-instagram-influencers-to-fuck-off

only hxxp b/c i cannot remember if this is one of the sites that breaks things.

I've seen a few of these stories from small businesses around the US too. It seems like if you manage to do this in an entertaining way (the telling someone with 2k followers to fuck off and stop asking for free things), your little business can get a real boost as people love that kind of thing.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:24 PM   #18667
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
My weekly Spotify/YouTube playlists have been around for several years now but in the past 18 months or so I've started getting offers from utterly random bands wanting to pay me to add them. (Going rate seems pretty standard in the $150 - $200 per add range, though I've been offered as much as $240)

I have less than 500 followers on the two accounts combined (though the non-subscriber traffic to my YT is a LOT higher than that, thanks to some quirks in how YT delivers search results and the resulting clicks on those).

That seems crazy. Do you get an unusually high number of plays or something to justify that given less than 500 followers? since I still hang around all these indie musicians on twitch, I've been seeing a lot of people putting things up on spotify and trying to decide whether its worth it to pay for promotion or where to spend very limited resources to try to get a boost. Its a very interesting world to follow. One of my friends has 100k+ listens on 7 or 8 songs and 28,000 "monthly listeners" with slow but consistent growth, which feels really solid given that its secondary income and they do this all from their home with limited expenses. Others have huge spotify catalogs and like 300 monthly listeners, seemingly making no effort to market in any way at all despite this being their passion. Its quite the world heh

Last edited by Radii : 07-19-2019 at 11:24 PM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 01:31 AM   #18668
stevew
Hall Of Famer

OMG that CATS trailer.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 01:49 AM   #18669
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
That seems crazy. Do you get an unusually high number of plays or something to justify that given less than 500 followers? since I still hang around all these indie musicians on twitch, I've been seeing a lot of people putting things up on spotify and trying to decide whether its worth it to pay for promotion or where to spend very limited resources to try to get a boost. Its a very interesting world to follow. One of my friends has 100k+ listens on 7 or 8 songs and 28,000 "monthly listeners" with slow but consistent growth, which feels really solid given that its secondary income and they do this all from their home with limited expenses. Others have huge spotify catalogs and like 300 monthly listeners, seemingly making no effort to market in any way at all despite this being their passion. Its quite the world heh

I think it's several things in play all at once honestly -- believe me, NOBODY is more bumfuzzled by the offers than I am.

1) rock airplay (or even "airplay") is scarce
2) a LOT of bands are REALLY desperate for ANY attention at ALL.
3) they've pretty much been told (I believe) what the "going rate" is for the niche and they're sticking with it, regardless of the outlet
4) a LOT of bands really have no clue how this stuff really works so they can easily fall into the trap of trying what other people have mentioned doing but they really don't know how to pick their spots

Right now, my YT is doing about 750k views a year (down from the previous year, there have been stretches where the 365 rolling total was over 1m) ... but I feel like that's pretty misleading in some respects. The majority of my traffic comes from being the location of a hit video that's being recommended by YT (best I can figure).

See, I don't upload anything, I'm a curator not a creator & I'm not trying to steal clicks from anybody, I simply add the legit authorized video to my playlist. The owner gets the clicks but I'm getting traffic. 4th & 5th tier bands (in terms of profile) who get added have a chance to "get the rub" to borrow a wrestling term.

Truth is, though, they have no real way of knowing that'd be the case - my stats aren't public - so they're not really making an offer for a reason that they'd know. Mostly, honestly, I think they're just so desperate for ANYBODY to show them a little love/appreciation/encouragement that they're willing to pay for it. It's pretty sad honestly

edit to add: Let me throw one other factor in there too: simple net cost. Right now the going rate for a quarter of "radio promotion" (though it looks like most of that service is directed at internet-only stations rather than traditional ones) is around $10,000, occasionally $12k I'm told. That basically seems to almost guarantee you a "hit" ... IF you're willing to consider reaching #47 on a secondary or tertiary chart (i.e. Billboard "Indicators" or Foundations) that only get looked at by a select few people and the bands themselves as "a hit". It's a lot easier to come up with $100 a few times than it is to come up with $10k lump sum up front.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-20-2019 at 02:01 AM.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:25 AM   #18670
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Why do cheese crackers topped with peanut butter taste good? Do they make peanut butter crackers topped with cheese?
Old 07-23-2019, 12:42 AM   #18671
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Why do cheese crackers topped with peanut butter taste good? Do they make peanut butter crackers topped with cheese?

No that I'm aware of. However I think I remember seeing those little packs of "crackers and ... " either peanut butter or cheese (with the little red plastic thing to spread included) at one point came in a pack that had both.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:54 AM   #18672
molson
General Manager

So I was watching the other Fyre festival documentary (the Hulu one), and they kept talking about the importance of Kendall Jenner to this thing and how she was paid $250k to make one Instagram post.

I didn't really know who that was or why she was so important, so I looked her up on Wikipedia. Turns out her middle name is Nicole, as she's named after Nicole Brown Simpson, who was her mother's best friend. Then I thought - wait a minute - doesn't Kendell Jenner have something to do with the Kardashians too, the patriarch of whom was of course OJ's buddy and lawyer?

I paused the documentary and went upstairs so my girlfriend could explain. Yes, Robert Kardashian, who had a "secret OJ evidence room" in his home office when his daughters were growing up, divorced his wife, and then OJ murdered this ex-wife's best friend. (If you believe such things). That must be awkward at family gatherings. Maybe everybody knows this. For me, it was the most time I'll ever, and will ever, reflect about the Kardashians, and I must admit, I was briefly compelled.

Last edited by molson : 07-25-2019 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-25-2019, 11:05 AM   #18673
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
So I was watching the other Fyre festival documentary (the Hulu one), and they kept talking about the importance of Kendall Jenner to this thing and how she was paid $250k to make one Instagram post.

I didn't really know who that was or why she was so important, so I looked her up on Wikipedia. Turns out her middle name is Nicole, as she's named after Nicole Brown Simpson, who was her mother's best friend. Then I thought - wait a minute - doesn't Kendell Jenner have something to do with the Kardashians too, the patriarch of whom was of course OJ's buddy and lawyer?

I paused the documentary and went upstairs so my girlfriend could explain. Yes, Robert Kardashian, who had a "secret OJ evidence room" in his home office when his daughters were growing up, divorced his wife, and then OJ murdered this ex-wife's best friend. (If you believe such things). That must be awkward at family gatherings. Maybe everybody knows this. For me, it was the most time I'll ever, and will ever, reflect about the Kardashians, and I must admit, I was briefly compelled.

They covered some of this in the OJ miniseries, where David Schwimmer played Kardashian. He was extremely loyal to OJ at first, but quickly became suspicious as the case went on and was convinced of his guilt by the end. He ended up severing his friendship with OJ after the case. He's dead now, but even if he weren't, I don't think it would be awkward at family reunions because he hated OJ at the end.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:28 AM   #18674
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

This board has lost its damn mind the last week.
More so than normal.

Thats my random thought
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:31 AM   #18675
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
They covered some of this in the OJ miniseries, where David Schwimmer played Kardashian. He was extremely loyal to OJ at first, but quickly became suspicious as the case went on and was convinced of his guilt by the end. He ended up severing his friendship with OJ after the case. He's dead now, but even if he weren't, I don't think it would be awkward at family reunions because he hated OJ at the end.

Makes sense. I kind of assumed Robert and OJ were tight all the way through and "knew everything" about what really went down. And I knew from glimpses of their show that the Kardashians revere their father and are connected to their Armenian heritage. So if Robert had been an OJ loyalist until the end, that'd be weird that OJ killed their mom's best friend, whom, they may or may not have spent time with growing up, I don't know those dates work out.

I am really dipping my toes into this whole world of Kardashians and media influencers and millennials the last few weeks......I need to get back out before its too late. I'm fascinated by the Fyre festival though.

Last edited by molson : 07-25-2019 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:57 PM   #18676
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I mentioned earlier in this thread that I had just started working a couple months ago after a ten year break. Today I got a message from HR about "Hey were working on your garnishment paperwork right now"

....uhhhhh, what? Turn out I've got this zombie debt that some collection agency has been keeping alive for literally the last 15 years while also plugging interest on top, and now I've got a surprise $12K debt. Wheee?
Old 07-25-2019, 07:24 PM   #18677
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I need to take a 10 year break from work.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:43 PM   #18678
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I need to take a 10 year break from work.

I was taking care of my batshit elderly mom, so it's probably more accurate to say I was taking a break from getting paid. I don't recommend it.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:05 PM   #18679
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I mentioned earlier in this thread that I had just started working a couple months ago after a ten year break. Today I got a message from HR about "Hey were working on your garnishment paperwork right now"

....uhhhhh, what? Turn out I've got this zombie debt that some collection agency has been keeping alive for literally the last 15 years while also plugging interest on top, and now I've got a surprise $12K debt. Wheee?

That sounds like something you can fight. Have you looked into your options?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:24 PM   #18680
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I'm slowly doing just that, but we'll see. The only reason this debt still exists is because you can legally 'substitute serve' an entirely different person at a 'known adddress' for the debtor, and that random person can sign off and acknowledge your judgment....and then you can re-apply to have that judgment refreshed every ten years. Whee? And half of the debt is interest from the past ten years when they were apparently just sitting on it and not even bothering to alert me about it.

With that said I can complain about their methods all I want, but at one time this was a real, significant debt that I certainly legally owed, so I'm not going to climb up TOO high on this horse.

Last edited by thesloppy : 07-25-2019 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-26-2019, 05:59 AM   #18681
Edward64
Head Coach

Yup, this makes sense. I'm good with last Sun in Oct.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/25/us/ha...rnd/index.html
Quote:
There are lots of reasons to hate holidays: traffic, awkward family reunions, expensive gifts that would wring a tear from anyone's wallet. But if there's one celebration absent from all of this holiday drama, it's Halloween.

It's too bad that, more times than not, the sugar-laden holiday is set right in the middle of the week, when would-be revelers have to get to bed early.
But there's a petition aiming to change that. This time, instead of demanding #Justice for A$AP Rocky or storming Area 51, it's lobbying to bump Halloween from October 31 to the last Saturday of the month.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:06 AM   #18682
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I’m for standardization of basically every holiday except Christmas and maybe Easter. People would bitch about July 4th but in reality the first Friday in July is a much better celebration time. St Patrick’s day should be on a Saturday always.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:41 AM   #18683
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I’m for standardization of basically every holiday except Christmas and maybe Easter. People would bitch about July 4th but in reality the first Friday in July is a much better celebration time. St Patrick’s day should be on a Saturday always.

I mean Halloween is based on the same basic reason as Christmas and Easter. It's was originally tied to a religious holiday (All Saints Day). So, of course, is St. Patrick's Day. You can celebrate them whenever you want, but the underlying religious holy day ain't going to change.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:20 AM   #18684
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Yup, this makes sense. I'm good with last Sun in Oct.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/25/us/ha...rnd/index.html

Totally against this.

I used to live in a town in Ohio that had set hours to trick or treat. It was from 6-8 PM. Worked amazing. At 6 every kid poured from their houses. It was done by 8. No teenagers showing up late. You could plan for dinner, leaving work, etc...No worries about kids out after dark. It was a truly brilliant way to do it.

Now let talk about getting the Superbowl moved to Saturday....
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 11:30 AM   #18685
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
That sounds like something you can fight. Have you looked into your options?

You are likely fucked, and it sucks.

I had a similar incident.

I lived in Ct. for about 18 months when I was in my early 20s. Ct. has a motor vehicle tax that you have to pay annually. I wasn't aware of this. Long story short they waited over 10 years until the debt ballooned to over 10K on around 1K worth of original taxes. Then tracked me down. I never received one notice. When I informed them of this they said not having knowledge of the debt doesn't excuse not paying it. I offered to pay the principal. they said no. They said I can do a payment plan but the interest would accrue. They also were trying to collect for a period of time I didn't live there. I offered to send them drivers license, insurance, W-2s, all kinds of proof I didn't live there, they said no. I told them to fuck off. It was straight up illegal extortion.

I contacted 2 lawyers. My local one who said I should pay because they could garnish wages and a Ct. tax attorney who confirmed I should pay and said that city is notorious for doing this. The money wasn't an issue. I was so pissed and felt violated but all I could do was pay it. Only time in my life I dealt with something like that. I can not imagine what it is like for people buried in debt.

Hope it works out different for you but these debt collectors are brutal.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 11:45 AM   #18686
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Hope it works out different for you but these debt collectors are brutal.

I'm assuming I'm pretty much stuck (though I am going to talk to a lawyer), and that this collections agency has a lot more familiarity with those laws than I do, but yeah it's super frustrating having a corporate entity systematically run up your personal debt using bad faith and abusing letter-of-the-law loopholes and I imagine it would feel even worse coming from the government.

Last edited by thesloppy : 07-26-2019 at 11:46 AM.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:54 PM   #18687
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Unlike my memory, only the first minute of the video for Judas Priest's "Hot Rockin'" is the band working out very poorly and hitting the sauna. Which makes me wonder "why was it included at all?" or alternately "why wasn't the whole video like this?"

For reference:

Last edited by thesloppy : 07-26-2019 at 12:55 PM.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:38 AM   #18688
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I'm on week 2 of trying to lose some weight--not even a diet, just trying to limit calories and focus on healthier food.

The part of this I didn't expect was how much mental energy it takes. Before, when I was hungry, I ate what I wanted. Easy. I didn't think about it. I wasn't mindful. I just did it.

Now, I am focusing on what I eat, and trying to time things so that I don't get too hungry at the wrong times, etc. And it really does take up sa decent amount of executive functioning to do that.

I can see one of the reasons people are attracted to extreme diets. They may not have any long-term applicability ("Only eat bacon fat and carrots and don't eat anything between 10 AM and 6 PM.") But it is easier to follow strict and simple rules than to constantly be mindful about your food.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 01:13 PM   #18689
spleen1015
Coordinator

You will reach a point where you won't have to think about it so much. It just becomes your habit. It is hard getting to that point though.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:58 PM   #18690
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Unlike my memory, only the first minute of the video for Judas Priest's "Hot Rockin'" is the band working out very poorly and hitting the sauna. Which makes me wonder "why was it included at all?" or alternately "why wasn't the whole video like this?"

From VH1

Judas Priest frontman Rob Halford didn’t come out of the closet as gay until 1998, whereupon the general metalhead reaction fell was, “Dude, it’s cool… the leather, the chains, the muscles, the biker gear, the ‘Hot Rockin’’ music video—we all caught on quite a ways back.”

What makes the “Hot Rockin’” clip so enjoyably awful, then, is not its homoerotic content—because that would comprise 100% of its total content—but its comically overstated-yet-unspoken sex being combined with hideously over-the-top early-’80s fitness craze goofiness.

A the single from the 1981 album Point of Entry (hmmm…), “Hot Rockin’” opens with the members of Priest pumping iron while shirtless. Halford’s face enters the frame going up-and-down as he’s revealed to be doing push-ups. After that, the lads hit the showers, singing the whole time, and a climactic concert performance features Rob wailing into a literally flaming microphone (again: hmmm…).

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-30-2019 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:19 PM   #18691
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
You will reach a point where you won't have to think about it so much. It just becomes your habit. It is hard getting to that point though.

You know...I fear that might be entirely personal dependent.
I started an "extreme diet" back in December. Ive lost 70 lbs. I cant quite grip the responsible moderation balance yet.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:46 PM   #18692
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
How come the Canadian government hasn't hired the guy from Mantracker to find those two teens?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 02:49 PM   #18693
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Halford’s face enters the frame going up-and-down as he’s revealed to be doing push-ups. [/i]

^ Especially hilarious.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:50 PM   #18694
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
I started an "extreme diet" back in December. Ive lost 70 lbs.

That's a lot of weight!
Old 07-30-2019, 08:35 PM   #18695
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
That's a lot of weight!

I was 320...im 250 now. Still only 6'.
Supposed to be 185 according to the charts...

225 is my current goal
Old 07-30-2019, 08:41 PM   #18696
Edward64
Head Coach

Congrats.

Impressive accomplishment.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:08 AM   #18697
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

That’s a lot of weight. Good job.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 05:50 AM   #18698
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
I was 320...im 250 now. Still only 6'.
Supposed to be 185 according to the charts...

225 is my current goal

Congrats, but those charts are ridiculous. I started a diet and the chart wanted me at 140...I was 155 in high school and I played every team sport there was plus had weightlifting to support football. I was in excellent shape and I was 15 lbs over where the chart says I should be - Now. Hell, Brett, who's extremely thin and only 19 is 145...if I got that low I'd look ill...which I am - but that's completely beside the point

Last edited by Breeze : 07-31-2019 at 07:42 AM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 07:29 AM   #18699
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze View Post
Congrats, but those charts are ridiculous. I started a diet and the chart wanted me at 140...I was 155 in high school and I played every team sport there was plus had weightlifting to support football. I was in excellent shape and I was 15 lbs over where the chart says I should be. Hell, Brett, who's extremely thin and only 19 is 145...if I got that low I'd look ill...which I am - but that's completely beside the point

I totally get that.
However Ive been fat most if not all of my life. Part of this has been a transformation of mindset for me. The truth is, at my heaviest, everyone knew I was fat but no one would guess I was 300lbs much less 320.

In fact before starting the diet I took an informal poll. I asked 10 people I work with to guess my weight with a $100 gift card to the closest. The highest guess was 275 and I was 320.(319.8 to be exact) so believe me I have a big frame and I get that the chart isnt accurate for everyone.

Its also a common lie people tell themselves. Heck we joke about people being "big boned" or other euphemisms. Most of those people, myself included, are making excuses for their own failures. I refuse to do that anymore. When I started in December I told folks I was going to get off the obese scale. Which would require me to be under 221. Everyone who knew me said "No way. You'll look sick. Etc." But for me, if I allowed these thoughts in I was giving myself an excuse for my failure. So I compromised. I am going to 225 and then we will see what I look like and what is reasonable.

I still carry a lot of muscle mass and still lift weights 2-3 times per week. This has been a very interesting physical experiment on my body. Ive had monthly blood labs ran, Ive done all sorts of charting and even had dexascan and bod pod measurements taken.
Sorry didnt mean to make this so long, most probably dont care about it, just responding to why I am choosing to focus on a known flawed metric. In short, if I hold myself to an impossible standard even if I fail to meet my own goal I should be much better off than I started.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:25 AM   #18700
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

How is it that people with a high school education can't even read a ruler?