Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-16-2006, 04:40 PM   #1
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Question Voynich manuscript

I figure with the amount of interest from folks here about puzzles, Enigma, etc., that there are people on this board that are familiar with the Voynich manuscript. If you are not familiar with it, a quick Google search will provide more than enough to get acquainted with it.

I had heard about it a long time ago, now with "The DaVinci Code" and it's imitators coming out, I decided to look into it again. Another reason was one of my uncle's interest in it as well. He's retired from the "No Such Agency", and I figured if anyone would have figured this out, they would have.

To me, it is an interesting pursuit, and it mixes together a lot of various types of intrigue: alchemy, religious secrets, early science, etc. Any one else familiar with this book, and care to share their thoughts?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 04:48 PM   #2
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman
I figure with the amount of interest from folks here about puzzles, Enigma, etc., that there are people on this board that are familiar with the Voynich manuscript. If you are not familiar with it, a quick Google search will provide more than enough to get acquainted with it.

I had heard about it a long time ago, now with "The DaVinci Code" and it's imitators coming out, I decided to look into it again. Another reason was one of my uncle's interest in it as well. He's retired from the "No Such Agency", and I figured if anyone would have figured this out, they would have.

To me, it is an interesting pursuit, and it mixes together a lot of various types of intrigue: alchemy, religious secrets, early science, etc. Any one else familiar with this book, and care to share their thoughts?

The little bit I've looked into it, I'm convinced it is a made-up language (I did the same thing as a kid after reading Tolkein) that this person was having fun with.
Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:07 AM   #3
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
A new analysis shows that the language might not be made up or a difficult cipher. It is possibly a dialect of an Aztec language.

http://cms.herbalgram.org/press/2014...anuscript.html
Old 05-15-2019, 01:43 PM   #4
cartman
Death Herald

World's most mysterious text cracked | Daily Mail Online
Old 05-15-2019, 01:57 PM   #5
bhlloy
Coordinator

Seems like there's too many coincidences in there for this guy not to have cracked it, but pretty incredible that this is supposedly written in a language that is 2000 years younger than other languages (or systems) that we've cracked, is an ancestor to a whole ton of existing languages and contains so many words that are the same or similar in existing languages that tens of millions of people still speak and yet it's taken this long to get to this point.

I'd love to know what smarter people think. Seems like there's a lot of skepticism on twitter already.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:07 PM   #6
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

That's pretty damn cool
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 04:45 PM   #7
cartman
Death Herald

Back to uncracked it seems

No, someone hasn’t cracked the code of the mysterious Voynich manuscript | Ars Technica