Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-23-2024, 03:52 PM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Balatro tips and strategies

I love Balatro. It's CRACK. I've beat white stakes with several, and red stakes with a couple, and thoughts

Ante 1: Even with Green Deck, where you get paid for discards remaining, don't play any hand that A) Doesn't have at least 4 cards (and almost definitely flush/straight/Full House is the way to go). With 300, 450 and 600 in the first ante, you really want to blitz those in as few cards as possible to start the money train running

Early Antes: When you use a "convert 3 cards into a suit" tarot card, pay more attention to the suit than the number. Flush decks get a LOT better when it's 16/10/13/13 instead of 14/12/13/13, it also gives you targets to get rid of.

If you get one or two +multiplier jokers early, save money instead of filling things out more with things that don't fully synergize with your jokers/deck idea

If you run Green Deck especially, Delayed Gratification will be the equivalent of attaching a supercharger to your money engine.

early on, it's an auto skip if they offer a polychrome or a Holographic Joker, and it's just about always a good idea to skip if you get a negative joker.. Same with "All cards in the next shop are free to start". Don't forget you can sell cards you have no use for from that free shop, you just have to take them in your hand first (so, for example,. if you have Hanged Man, but no card targets, grab it, don't use it, and immediately sell it)

Fibonacci is a run winner.

And something you probably already know, but just in case... you can reorder your hand and your jokers to maximize your score (always do +Multipliers before x Multipliers, for example, same with things like Fibonacci before a card that multiplies the multiplier.

edit: I'm going to use this section for further thoughts:

On playing card hands, it's better to skip them instead of taking something that doesn't have a modifier, unless you're going for something like "I need 10 aces for this hand to work). They just take up room in your deck.

If you want to try everything without having to unlock it, create a second profile, switch to it, and click "Unlock everything" in the profile. You won't be able to get steam achievements while using that profile, but it will let you try out all the jokers, and all the deck types without having to unlock them.

Last edited by SirFozzie : 02-23-2024 at 04:17 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 04:38 PM   #2
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just got my first back to back wins, so I'm pleased with myself atm

Question (since this feels like it could turn into a general tips thread too):
Is there somewhere that explains some of the achievements/stats stuff? For example, what exactly IS a "joker sticker"? I have 1 now ... but I have no clue how I got it

edit to add: And yes to the "reorder deck (or jokers) to maximize benefit". I'm getting better about that but it still requires some practice to turn it into reflex

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 02-23-2024 at 04:39 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 08:02 PM   #3
Bobble
College Prospect

When you Play a hand that is less than 5 cards (ex: three-of-a-kind), you can throw in junk cards to get rid of them.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 08:04 PM   #4
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
When you Play a hand that is less than 5 cards (ex: three-of-a-kind), you can throw in junk cards to get rid of them.

Right, it's like having extra discard opportunities basically.
Old 02-24-2024, 02:10 AM   #5
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

cards that are supressed still count for hand ranking, they'll just not count for chips and any special abilities from jokers and tarot cards on them. (useful, if you say, you have the card that gives you x3 multiplier if you play a hand of the same type as you did previously that round.
Old 02-24-2024, 07:29 AM   #6
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Early Antes: When you use a "convert 3 cards into a suit" tarot card, pay more attention to the suit than the number. Flush decks get a LOT better when it's 16/10/13/13 instead of 14/12/13/13, it also gives you targets to get rid of.

Finobacci and a flush deck is awesome. Any tips on having a flush deck playing against a boss blind that negates that suit? That's always my worst fear.
Old 02-24-2024, 11:07 PM   #7
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

There's someone out there with a video where he ends up with a score that needs E72 Exponential Notation to show up (just for comparison, a Million Million is only E12).

How? By ending a run with 28 cards, which all of them are the king of hearts. Some of which have planet seals (which feeds his multiplier through a card that gives +0.1 multiplier per planet card you play) , some of which has retrigger seals.

This, combined with the plasma deck (which averages out chips and multiplier before doing score caluclation, which can make a difference, compare 100 x 1 vs 50.5 x 50.5)

Balatro Science: Introduction to Infinity (1.0.0h) - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEsegOW8MCY&t=0s

Last edited by SirFozzie : 02-24-2024 at 11:07 PM.
Old 02-25-2024, 12:53 PM   #8
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Some of the boss blinds are so much harder than others. Like the one where you get zero discards, or only a single hand, versus the one where you have to play five cards to score.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 12:55 PM   #9
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

OK. What is this?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 01:23 PM   #10
thesloppy
Pro Starter

It's a message board dedicated to an old football video game where old losers gather to get mad at each other, but that's not important right now.
Old 02-25-2024, 03:42 PM   #11
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Some of the boss blinds are so much harder than others. Like the one where you get zero discards, or only a single hand, versus the one where you have to play five cards to score.
The one that selects a card you must play has killed me so many times
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 06:21 PM   #12
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
The one that selects a card you must play has killed me so many times

There is a 99.9% chance that you know this, but just in case: you can discard that selected card too.

I just had a run with the joker that pays on held face cards 50% of the time, and then I teamed that up with the joker that makes all cards considered face cards and I thought I was hot shit for like 5 seconds and immediately ran into the boss blind with all face cards drawn face down.
Old 02-25-2024, 07:27 PM   #13
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:

Man, I had a set up that considered all cards face cards, +4 face card multiplier, and some other X multipliers. Boss blind was all Face cards are de-buffed. So I sold the Joker that turned all cards into face cards, but it destroyed the whole synergy of my deck and I got stomped.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 07:42 PM   #14
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
There is a 99.9% chance that you know this, but just in case: you can discard that selected card too.

But for those who are just dipping into the game, be aware that discarding the forced card will result in a different card being forced in the hand.
Old 02-25-2024, 07:45 PM   #15
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Talking about synergies for wins, I hit a great one tonight and picked up a victory with it

Jokers for: All Clubs +4, All Spades +4, and Jokers/Spades (and Hearts/Diamonds) being interchangeable

So a 5 card flush of any black suit triggers 5x(4x+4x), so a 40 multiplier from the hand. Paired with "most played hand adds mult for each use" joker, and several holo/foil jokers acquired along the way, I think I was usually somewhere in the 200-250 multiplier range by the end stages.
Old 02-25-2024, 07:55 PM   #16
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Ooh, also

Splash joker "Every played card counts in scoring"

Yes, any bonus effects (chips, mults, whatever) DO count even if those cards are not part of the hand you're playing (i.e. one pair, you still get the effects of the other three cards too)
Old 02-26-2024, 04:24 PM   #17
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

at some point, stop stacking +multipliers and go to xMultipliers (Polychrome, the one that boosts per blind skip, etcetera). you'll get your muitiplyers much higher
Old 02-26-2024, 04:58 PM   #18
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

If anyone cares, here is a cool seed: JVGS56W9

look for dna, vampire, a blueprint, and astronaut and try to fill your hand with only one card rank.
Old 02-26-2024, 06:32 PM   #19
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

OK. Downloaded and checking it out.

So when does a run "end?"

For example Slay the Spire has 3 levels, final level has a boss. Defeat the boss, game over.
Old 02-26-2024, 06:34 PM   #20
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

When you finish ante (round) 8, the run is officially "Won" (for game stat purposes), but you can play endless mode if you have a deck with nice synergy to see how far you can go. The #'s keep escalating very quickly (the switchover from Ante 10 to Ante 11 is the "Casual Kill Screen", as it takes 7x the points from the Ante 10 boss to the Ante 11 Small Blind.

I actually saw FOFC alumni Pumpy Tudors playing it on twitch the other day
Old 02-27-2024, 02:18 AM   #21
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Got my 4th different deck win (one more to go to unlock Challenges) with a pretty sweet synergy that fed into my playstyle

+0.1xMult for each Tarot card played AND +0.1xMult for each Planet card played. By the end I has 4.0x Mult and around 3.0x Mult both firing.

First half of the run was fed by the +20mult if played hand has 3 cards, so I fed planets into 3 of a Kind.

Okay, fine, having Mister Bones _and_ Disable boss blind gave me a certain degree of agression in the final ante altough as it turned out I didn't even need them for the win

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 02-27-2024 at 02:19 AM.
Old 02-27-2024, 07:56 AM   #22
Lauriaferge27
n00b

When playing a hand with fewer than 5 cards (e.g., three-of-a-kind), you have interactive plinko online version the option to discard additional cards, known as junk cards, to eliminate them from your hand.

Last edited by Lauriaferge27 : 03-06-2024 at 10:53 AM.
Lauriaferge27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 06:49 PM   #23
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Can someone explain interest?
Old 02-27-2024, 07:08 PM   #24
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Can someone explain interest?

For every $5 that you have saved up before the deal, you get $1 after the round, maxed out at gaining $5. Of course, pretty much every aspect of that is mod-able by jokers or vouchers.

Last edited by Bobble : 02-27-2024 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Clarity, hopefully
Old 02-27-2024, 07:49 PM   #25
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Thanks

Just took my first run with a red deck. I was up to level 14 with two pair then used cards to try and get as many kings as I could.

This game is really fun.
Old 02-27-2024, 08:17 PM   #26
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Finally got challenges unlocked today.

Not the most scintillating stuff, I'll probably stick with trying to win with more decks instead of falling into the challenge thing any time soon.

-------
As an aside, I saw a note somewhere that said first week sales had topped 250k units. And in addition to NorthernLion (who has been playing for weeks), I've seen both Quill18 and Vormithrax doing LP videos this week.
Old 02-27-2024, 09:03 PM   #27
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

northernlion did some really good videos and is chill
Old 02-27-2024, 09:16 PM   #28
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Some extremely basic strategerizing from me: after ante 4 or 5 it's time to ditch any jokers focused on making money/cards/anything else and focus all your jokers on scoring.
Old 02-27-2024, 10:04 PM   #29
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

He's really how I came across the game a few weeks ago.

My son uses various gamer channels as background noise while he sleeps, NLion being one of those. That led him to Balatro, which in turn led me to it.
Old 02-27-2024, 10:14 PM   #30
thesloppy
Pro Starter

A very specific tip: if you get the joker that allows 4-card straights or flushes you can fill in 4-card straights with pairs of any of the cards within the straight, and all 5 cards will get scored.. E.g. 4-5-6-6-7
Old 02-28-2024, 11:07 AM   #31
QuikSand
lolzcat

Ok, bought it. first 30m run was unexciting, but I'm taking it on faith that I will eventually get into this.

See you back here in a while.
QuikSand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 11:24 AM   #32
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Ok, bought it. first 30m run was unexciting, but I'm taking it on faith that I will eventually get into this.

See you back here in a while.

I was the same and now my wife and I just had lunch and she said "you playing that game again?"

I also just learned a lesson. If you play a boss where you have to play 5 cards if you play less it doesn't say, screw you you can't do that, it discards them. Cost me the match when I tried to play 4 aces
Old 02-28-2024, 02:30 PM   #33
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
I get so frustrated watching him play, holy shit. I know he's streaming and that's priority 1, but he misses so many obvious plays and then cries because he doesn't understand why he failed. Maybe he looks to his chat too much to get tips mid-game, but I quit watching him play Balatro altogether it was just too stressful.
Old 02-28-2024, 05:07 PM   #34
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
I get so frustrated watching him play, holy shit. I know he's streaming and that's priority 1, but he misses so many obvious plays and then cries because he doesn't understand why he failed. Maybe he looks to his chat too much to get tips mid-game, but I quit watching him play Balatro altogether it was just too stressful.

That's a theme with a lot of streamers I think.

Quill18 drives me half batty with that sort of thing in general, FeedbackGaming is terrible about that with HOI stuff.
Old 02-28-2024, 08:13 PM   #35
Bobble
College Prospect

I need a mod that pre-calculates my score before I submit my hand. I'd burn some more discards trying to get gold cards or cards with seals that pay out when held, if I knew whether this hand was going to put me over the top.
Old 03-01-2024, 06:09 PM   #36
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
I need a mod that pre-calculates my score before I submit my hand. I'd burn some more discards trying to get gold cards or cards with seals that pay out when held, if I knew whether this hand was going to put me over the top.
hxxps://github.com/jie65535/awesome-balatro
Old 03-01-2024, 08:56 PM   #37
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Good article on this kind of thing (tips and tricks)

https://www.pcgamer.com/balatro-tips/

Last edited by SirFozzie : 03-01-2024 at 08:56 PM.
Old 03-04-2024, 10:07 AM   #38
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Just cleared the "Casual Kill Screen" 7.2 million for the first time!!!!

How? Most of it was the unholy trinity of Jokers. One that makes face cards gold, one that makes every card treated like a face card, and Vampire, which eats certain types of enhancements to make its multiplier go up. I probably could have gone a couple more hands of it, but they take up 3 jokers to do so, so I was worried I may not keep up).

But even with probably breaking up the infinite combo a bit too early, the Vampire was giving me a x12.6 MULTIPLIER.

Then, to top it off, I got the joker that gives a x3 modifier on the very last hand of the round. Lucky as heck, but I'll take it

edit: I actually made it through that whole ante, but it just makes me give more respect to those who post scores higher than there are number of atoms in the universe...

Last edited by SirFozzie : 03-04-2024 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-04-2024, 04:18 PM   #39
bhlloy
Coordinator

Just lost my first decent run because I played a four card seven high instead of discarding it. Oops.

Fun game but like most rogue likes not sure it will hold much interest long term. Still well worth the money and most innovative indie game I’ve played in a while.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 04:23 PM   #40
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Just cleared the "Casual Kill Screen" 7.2 million for the first time!!!!

Niiiice! I still haven't really been close.
Old 03-06-2024, 10:15 AM   #41
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

So yeah I, uh, did a thing.

The first gaming video / Let's Play video I've ever done that sees the light of day.

2.5 hours of me doing way more talking about Balatro than actual playing Balatro. I mean waaaaay more talking than playing.

In hindsight I don't love it, as time passes I suspect I'll cringe at the sight and sound of this but I'm putting it out there anyway. If nothing else in hopes that it will inspire me to do better in a future release.

Balatro Play (hours 1-2) - YouTube

edit to add: 2nd video with better playing to 'splaining ratio
Balatro Play (hours 3-4) - YouTube

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-07-2024 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-08-2024, 09:29 AM   #42
Arles
Grey Dog Software

This game is great. I usually go for the flush deck and got the joker that allows a flush or straight with just 4 cards. My first flush play I had 4 spades and was tossing a club to clear my hand. The Hand was:
A-2-4-5 (Spades) and a 3 of clubs. It ended up giving me a straight flush since my hand was a straight (A-5) and four were clubs. Pretty cool feature with that Joker.
Old 03-08-2024, 04:41 PM   #43
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

the nice thing is that let's say you had A-2-3-4 of a suit. ANY card you put in the fifth slot will make it a straight flush, since you have a straight AND a flush (with four fingers joker that is)
Old 03-11-2024, 09:27 AM   #44
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Also, the shortcut joker let's you skip a number in a straight. But I didn't realize until recently you can skip multiple iterations of 1. So you could have a 2-4-6-8-10 straight with that card, which makes it much more powerful than I originally interpreted.

And while on the subject of straights, I feel that hand size is critical for this. For me, it is worth giving up a discard or a played hand to increase it while playing a straight deck. I've beaten ante 8 a few times with straights, although I haven't been able to get past 10 with this strategy.

My best run, which got me to ante 12, was surprisingly a 2 pair deck. I don't remember my exact joker combo, but I know I had the trousers, the block (play exactly 4 cards), and the combo where every card is a face card along with the one that turns all face cards into gold. Add a vampire to suck away my mass gold, and this one added up quickly. I know I had another negative joker in there, but don't remember what my 6th one was.

ETA: And in case you didn't know, if you buy 10 of the blank vouchers, you unlock a voucher which gives you an extra joker slot. I don't know what happens if you keep buying them after it is unlocked though.

Last edited by Umbrella : 03-11-2024 at 09:30 AM.
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 10:37 AM   #45
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The blank voucher is a prerequisite for the voucher that gives the extra joker slot.
Old 03-14-2024, 11:43 AM   #46
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

For whatever reason this game churns through my battery
Old 03-14-2024, 12:14 PM   #47
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbrella View Post
Also, the shortcut joker let's you skip a number in a straight. But I didn't realize until recently you can skip multiple iterations of 1. So you could have a 2-4-6-8-10 straight with that card, which makes it much more powerful than I originally interpreted.

And while on the subject of straights, I feel that hand size is critical for this. For me, it is worth giving up a discard or a played hand to increase it while playing a straight deck. I've beaten ante 8 a few times with straights, although I haven't been able to get past 10 with this strategy.

I've had a few good runs with straight strategy too. Seems like there may be 1-2 more straight focused jokers relative to other hands...I like the one that gains +10 chips for every straight.
Old 03-14-2024, 12:55 PM   #48
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
I've had a few good runs with straight strategy too. Seems like there may be 1-2 more straight focused jokers relative to other hands...I like the one that gains +10 chips for every straight.

After literally a week of trying I finally just beat black stakes, with a straight deck and the above joker
Old 03-24-2024, 08:13 PM   #49
QuikSand
lolzcat

Just played my 4th or 5th game and the first where I "felt it." Got a couple flush-themed jokers, and started to get real money, and sorta threw it around at all the things just to see what they did. Narrow loss in round 19, now I am looking forward to playing again, for the first time.
Old 03-29-2024, 03:17 PM   #50
QuikSand
lolzcat

First win. Got lots of “face card” synergy and a deck of mostly spades. Easy wins down the stretch.