Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-23-2018, 08:49 AM   #451
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Dodgers bullpen really choked this series from the Cards. Yeeesh

On the heels of 4 straight walk off/9th inning losses going back to the Rockies, I'm in full disbelief/panic mode.

Looking deeper at August, and what has been so awful about this run for LA:

Starting on August 8, the Dodgers have lost 10 games against 4 wins.

Of those 10 losses, 9 of them have been on the back of the bullpen.

Of those 9, only 2 were not in the 9th inning or later.

August 8; 2-3 L to the A's; at home OAK scores a run on the 8th off of Chargois.
August 10; 4-5 L to the Rockies; at home COL scores 2 in the 7th off of Rosscup.
August 11; 2-3 L to the Rockies; at home COL scores 3 in the 9th off of Chargois.
August 12; 3-4 L to the Rockies; at home COL scores 1 in the 9th off of Floro.
August 13; 2-5 L to the Giants; on the road, SF scores 4 in the 9th off of Alexander.
August 14; 1-2 L to the Giants; on the road, SF scores 1 in the 9th off of Maeda.
August 15; 4-3 W over the Giants; LA wins in 12, but SF scores 3 in the 8th off of Ferguson to tie the game.
August 18; 4-5 L to the Mariners; at home SEA scores 1 in the 10th off of Ferguson.
August 20; 3-5 L to the Cardinals; on the road, STL scores 2 in the 9th off of Jansen.
August 22; 1-3 L to the Cardinals; on the road, STL scores 1 in the 8th and 2 in the 9th off of Ferguson and Jansen.

It may be the most horrific set of team failures in recent memory. Incredibly demoralizing. No faith left at all in that bullpen, or with the offense frankly.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 08-23-2018 at 08:50 AM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:22 AM   #452
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Of those 10 losses, 9 of them have been on the back of the bullpen.

Looking at the key pitchers in that list, what's scary is that there's six different failures over ten games.

That's very much what the Braves bullpen woes for most of the season were like, it wasn't one guy (or even two) that was failing, it was a different guy every night. Even if 2-3 did their job, another would inevitably fail. Demoralizing is a perfect word for it :/
Old 08-23-2018, 09:23 AM   #453
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Speaking of bullpens & such, a cool thing last night for the Braves.

Jonny Venters gets his first save for Atlanta since 2011. (he had one earlier this season for TB)

That last save in a Braves uniform? Aug 22, 2011.
Cool on its own, but 7 years to the day felt like it was just a little cooler.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:50 PM   #454
tarcone
Coordinator

Cards are red hot. And the bullpen woes all these other teams are facing, happened to the Cards for the first 4 months of the season.
Things have settled down for them. The bullpen also added Carlos Martinez and soon to add Adam Wainwright.

Watch out for St. Louis.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 06:53 PM   #455
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Cards are red hot. And the bullpen woes all these other teams are facing, happened to the Cards for the first 4 months of the season.
Things have settled down for them. The bullpen also added Carlos Martinez and soon to add Adam Wainwright.

Watch out for St. Louis.

I hope Shildt gets the interim tag removed and becomes the manager after this season. He has done a spectacular job since taking over.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 07:35 AM   #456
Butter
Coordinator

I haven't watched the Reds a ton this year, but was wondering if anybody saw this:

hxxps://deadspin.com/pitchers-hr-after-a-foul-bunt-non-call-was-the-nuttiest-1828705646

Basically, a Reds pitcher squared to bunt, then tried to pull the bat back because the ball was coming at his face, but it still went off the bat anyway... then what happened next... you should go to the link, it summarizes the whole thing quite nicely.

Opinions?
Old 08-30-2018, 07:55 AM   #457
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
I haven't watched the Reds a ton this year, but was wondering if anybody saw this:

hxxps://deadspin.com/pitchers-hr-after-a-foul-bunt-non-call-was-the-nuttiest-1828705646

Basically, a Reds pitcher squared to bunt, then tried to pull the bat back because the ball was coming at his face, but it still went off the bat anyway... then what happened next... you should go to the link, it summarizes the whole thing quite nicely.

Opinions?

I was watching that game when it happened, weird but totally the correct call. He was pulling the bat back.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 11:34 PM   #458
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

McCutchen to the Yankees for two prospects, one of whom is AAA Shortstop Abiatal Avelina.

One of my favorite players for years, it was a pleasure to watch him in a Giants uniform, even if only for part of a single season.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 03:24 AM   #459
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Trevor Williams has thrown out a fairly decent season for the Bucs this year. Not too bad for a guy we got in exchange for a scouting director.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:55 PM   #460
bhlloy
Coordinator

So with Ohtani looking like a perennial .280 and 40 HR guy, but needing at least 18 months to put his arm back together to pitch, do you entertain him being a position player full time?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 07:30 AM   #461
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Position players get a TJ and don't miss that much time. Can he rebuild shoulder strength and just bat for the near future?
Old 09-06-2018, 08:46 AM   #462
MrBug708
Head Coach

Seager is basically going to be out for a year with TJ surgery. But Ohtani can probably get away with being a DH
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:10 AM   #463
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Position players get a TJ and don't miss that much time. Can he rebuild shoulder strength and just bat for the near future?

Yeah sounds like this is the plan. Have the surgery now, DH all of 2019 and then pitch again in 2020, although they are leaving the final decision up to him regarding the surgery.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:42 AM   #464
stevew
Hall Of Famer

If he hits 35+ homers and OPS's .950+ for a season do you really want him pitching?

Also is the DH able to enter the game as a pitcher? If so, couldn't they insert him as a large chunk of a bullpen game type strategy? Throw 4-6 innings every 5-6 days?
Old 09-06-2018, 09:44 AM   #465
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Javy Baez is just so absurdly fun to watch.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:52 AM   #466
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
If he hits 35+ homers and OPS's .950+ for a season do you really want him pitching?

Also is the DH able to enter the game as a pitcher? If so, couldn't they insert him as a large chunk of a bullpen game type strategy? Throw 4-6 innings every 5-6 days?

I think the issue is having him DH limits his value somewhat. I mean he has over half his offensive WAR in 82 games just from pitching 10, and a good few of those were abbreviated starts either due to injury or precautions.

If he’s an every day RF it’s a much more viable proposition in terms of value I think, but then you’ve got the TJ issue. I’m not sure there’s anywhere on the field he could play except maybe 1B that isn’t going to have him out for most of 2019. Like Bug pointed out with Seager it’s a very different proposition for somebody who has to make a ton of throws in the field.

No idea on the DH to P rules but I’d guess that isn’t allowed.
Old 09-08-2018, 07:32 AM   #467
miami_fan
Coordinator

Detroit Tigers announcers Mario Impemba, Rod Allen suspended for rest of season after alleged altercation
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 01:22 PM   #468
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I think the issue is having him DH limits his value somewhat. I mean he has over half his offensive WAR in 82 games just from pitching 10, and a good few of those were abbreviated starts either due to injury or precautions.

If he’s an every day RF it’s a much more viable proposition in terms of value I think, but then you’ve got the TJ issue. I’m not sure there’s anywhere on the field he could play except maybe 1B that isn’t going to have him out for most of 2019. Like Bug pointed out with Seager it’s a very different proposition for somebody who has to make a ton of throws in the field.

No idea on the DH to P rules but I’d guess that isn’t allowed.

Basically if Ohtani were to DH, and then take the mound, his spot in the order then becomes the pitcher's spot. That means if he's replaced on the mound, the incoming pitcher then bats in his spot, as do any subsequent pitchers; you can double switch around that, but the bottom line is that once Ohtani sets foot on the field, there's a "pitcher's spot" in the lineup to deal with for the remainder of that game.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 01:28 PM   #469
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Basically if Ohtani were to DH, and then take the mound, his spot in the order then becomes the pitcher's spot. That means if he's replaced on the mound, the incoming pitcher then bats in his spot, as do any subsequent pitchers; you can double switch around that, but the bottom line is that once Ohtani sets foot on the field, there's a "pitcher's spot" in the lineup to deal with for the remainder of that game.

So just to clarify this a little more:

a) The rule allows teams to forego the DH. So on a day Ohtani starts on the mound, the team could elect to forego the DH so he could also hit. However, the DH cannot be inserted later in the game, so there's a pitcher's spot in the lineup no matter what happens with Ohtani on the mound.

b) The rule also says that if the DH takes the field, the player the DH replaces forfeits his spot in the lineup to the pitcher. So, if Ohtani were to go from DH to 1B, the pitcher hits in the 1B's spot.

The rule does not speak to what happens if the DH replaces the pitcher, but following from a) and b) tells us that the proper application of the rule, should Ohtani go from DH to P, is that Ohtani's spot in the lineup then becomes the pitcher's spot, the pitcher still being Ohtani himself for the moment.

Once he leaves the game, the incoming pitcher takes his spot in the lineup; if the manager elects to double switch to prevent the new reliever from hitting, the pitcher's spot would switch with the lineup spot of the other defensive substitution, just as in the NL.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 04:53 PM   #470
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Mets' David Wright will be activated and start one more game in the teams' final homestand

About time the Wilpons made the right move.

I knew he was never playing again, but it sucks to hear it. There has never been a classier player to put on a uniform, and I loved watching him play.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:29 AM   #471
PilotMan
Head Coach

Why are we not talking about Yelich this morning? Dude did something that no player in the history of baseball has ever done last night.

Hit for a cycle for the second time in one season against the same team.

Baller.

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 09-18-2018 at 09:29 AM.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:23 PM   #472
Atocep
Coordinator

It's kind of amazing that the Mets have a 4 man rotation and half the lineup totaling about 27 WAR and they're probably not going to finish close to .500: Nimmo (4.2), Conforto (2.2), Plawecki (1.4), McNeil (2.1), DeGrom (8.6), Wheeler (4.0), Synderguard (3.0), and Matz (1.3)
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:48 AM   #473
Logan
Head Coach

Plawecki having a WAR of 1.4 might be the first time I've been on the side of "something is wrong with that stat".
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:13 AM   #474
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Meh, much of that has to do with the way so much of the league has punted catcher hitting to get a guy who can frame pitches behind the plate. Plawecki's giving near-league average offense and is seeing a benefit in defensive numbers from the years DeGrom and some of the other pitchers are having. For what it's worth, the combination still comes out to "second division starter".
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 12:02 PM   #475
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Addison Russell needs to be launched into the sun.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 01:04 PM   #476
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Kinda wild that the Rays were able to amass 10 first round draft picks in 2011 and last night's 20 game winner Blake Snell was one of them. Even though the Rays passed on him 6 times in the first round before pulling the trigger.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:29 PM   #477
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Rangers fired Jeff Bannister. Guess they weren't pleased with how he was developing the younger players.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 03:15 PM   #478
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Kinda wild that the Rays were able to amass 10 first round draft picks in 2011 and last night's 20 game winner Blake Snell was one of them. Even though the Rays passed on him 6 times in the first round before pulling the trigger.

When my son was playing 14U baseball we had a tournament one weekend and that particular Saturday morning we show up for our scheduled game only to find out the other team didn't show. We had to call the tournament director to find out he had just been informed the coach's brother had just been called up to make his 1st big league start against the Yankees at Yankee Stadium. Blake paid for his brother and the entire team to fly out to Yankee Stadium to watch his start.
Old 09-22-2018, 05:36 PM   #479
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Addison Russell needs to be launched into the sun.

I expect that the current administrative leave is a first step in that process, if "into the sun" means no longer employed by the Cubs.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:33 PM   #480
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just owning my bad prediction on the Braves outcome, specifically where I said they'd fold up in the second half.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:50 PM   #481
Logan
Head Coach

Some fun "the Mets stink, sorry deGrom" stats:

- Tonight's game against the Braves was scoreless after 5 innings. As has been the case in 25% of deGrom's starts this season. Only 5% of all games are scoreless after 5.

- Tonight will most likely be deGrom's 29th consecutive start allowing 3 runs or fewer. His current record during this streak is 7-9. When Jake Arrietta did the same over 29 games, his record was 24-1.

- Also from tonight: "Sean Newcomb is done after five scoreless. The 32 opposing starters against Jacob deGrom this year combined for a 2.45 ERA in 173 innings. The only National League pitcher with a better ERA is Jacob deGrom."

Last edited by Logan : 09-26-2018 at 07:53 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:34 PM   #482
Atocep
Coordinator

DeGrom reaches that magical 10th win of the season.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:37 PM   #483
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
DeGrom reaches that magical 10th win of the season.

He has been incredible. Mets are hard to watch, Jake makes it easy.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:37 PM   #484
MrBug708
Head Coach

Hopefully deGrom will enjoy his future with the Dodgers
Old 09-26-2018, 10:43 PM   #485
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Hopefully deGrom will enjoy his future with the Dodgers

He has been pretty adamant he wants to stay a Met, and you have to think the team will pay him, otherwise why not trade him at the deadline this year.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:47 PM   #486
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
He has been pretty adamant he wants to stay a Met, and you have to think the team will pay him, otherwise why not trade him at the deadline this year.

It's the Mets. We're going to fuck this up somehow.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:52 PM   #487
RainMaker
General Manager

Are the Mets that far away? They have a great starting staff. If they can add a few bats they should be in the race in that division.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:55 PM   #488
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

Because he's still locked and loaded for two more years with the Mets, so they can get teams bidding over themselves this offseason, if they want them to, and not feel rushed by a deadline.

He's stated he's wanted an extension and waiting until now to give it to him seems like a foolish idea, he only got more expensive now.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:53 AM   #489
Logan
Head Coach

There is precisely a 1% chance that the Mets give deGrom the contract he deserves. The only reason I have it that high is for the slight chance he is willing to accept a monstrously overpriced, shorter term deal like what Cespedes got.

Think he'll be traded next offseason.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:21 AM   #490
PilotMan
Head Coach

Oh Dodgers, you just can't seem to fire on all the right cylinders when you need to, do you?

Like Steam?

Old 09-27-2018, 08:31 AM   #491
MrBug708
Head Coach

Minus the Pads, playing teams with nothing to play for over the course of the past month, seems to be their downfall. Reds, Mets, eliminated D-Backs. Pads are naturally exempted from this but they did drop one of the three
Old 09-27-2018, 08:56 AM   #492
lungs
Pro Rookie

My Brewers are back in the postseason for the first time since 2011! It'd be nice if they could pass the Cubs.

I did get some satisfaction out of celebrating the postseason birth on the Cardinals infield, but I figure karma will bite in the ass and the Cards will make the playoffs and dispatch the Brewers like they usually do.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 09:33 AM   #493
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Minus the Pads, playing teams with nothing to play for over the course of the past month, seems to be their downfall. Reds, Mets, eliminated D-Backs. Pads are naturally exempted from this but they did drop one of the three

Can't say the team is tired. The way they rotate players and positions everyone should be feeling pretty good. Just seems like they are still just flying by the seat of their pants. Some days are good, some days are bad, but whatever happens, we're all good with it. I don't know. Lack of a really killer energy. Very SoCal I guess.

Like Steam?

Old 09-27-2018, 01:37 PM   #494
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Because he's still locked and loaded for two more years with the Mets, so they can get teams bidding over themselves this offseason, if they want them to, and not feel rushed by a deadline.

He's stated he's wanted an extension and waiting until now to give it to him seems like a foolish idea, he only got more expensive now.
The Wilpon's are a joke, but considering the injury history of Mets starters I don't blame them for not giving an extension to a pitcher 2.5+ years before they had to. Considering the long path to the majors he'll also be 32 when he first hits FA/is extension eligible... If he keeps pitching like this it won't matter much, but if he gets hurt or takes a real step back to 3.00+ ERA it will.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:15 PM   #495
tarcone
Coordinator

After Harpers Instagram, Im super stoked to have Robles on my roto team at $8 next year.

Cardinals rumored to be in the hunt. But they will just be there to jack up the price.

Old 09-27-2018, 06:26 PM   #496
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I really feel like they should have forced the Pirates to play the Marlins on monday. That way the suck could marinate for one more day longer.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:59 PM   #497
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
After Harpers Instagram, Im super stoked to have Robles on my roto team at $8 next year.

Cardinals rumored to be in the hunt. But they will just be there to jack up the price.

Saving that money for the inevitable trade of Pujols?

Side note - I want to thank the Phillies for completely rolling over more than any team I can remember in recent times. That ass kicking they took from the Rockies was criminal.
Old 09-29-2018, 10:25 PM   #498
MrBug708
Head Coach

So the Dodgers could play Monday, Tuesday, or Thursday. They could play in Colorado on Monday, in Milwaukee on Tuesday, Atlanta on Thursday or Los Angeles on Thursday. What a crazy last day tomorrow is setting up to be.
Old 09-29-2018, 10:47 PM   #499
lungs
Pro Rookie

Super stoked, go Brewers! and Cardinals!
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 11:27 PM   #500
tarcone
Coordinator

Season over. Cardinals out again. Played the last 2 weeks like they played in May. Ugly.

Exciting races down tot he wire.

I like that MLB scheduled every game at the same time tomorrow. Great set up.