Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-08-2006, 11:51 AM   #501
QuikSand
lolzcat

Free Agency Update

One more stage, and one more player signed. We were the top running team in the league last year, but we are pretty old at the ball carrier positions. So, naturally, we bring aboard just what we really need – an old running back.

RB Albert Lombardo is a pretty decent veteran RB, and his deal is pretty affordable, so we will bring him into the mix for a season or two, but the search continues for a longer term answer at RB. Lombardo might allow us to swing FB Bill Wunderlich out to play TE more this year – he has been pretty effective in that sort of role with us before. This might not be a great sign for young RB Sam Cook, who got a bit of playing time last season, but failed to impress or develop.

We have also re-signed K David Everhart. Solid five-year veteran for us, who put together a very good season last year with 32/39 FGs – and he’s at 78.5% for his career.

We missed out on our effort to land the standout DT – our offer was a short-term one at 2 years, $33 million. Crazy money, I know, but it essentially boiled down to a 1 year, $12m deal (and we’d presumably cut or deal him next year). Instead, he accepted a true 1yr offer at a total of $10m (mostly bonus). I have trouble with the logic of that decision – but I’ll live. I suppose had I done my homework, I would have realized I was vulnerable on that front.

We are in jeopardy of carrying close to $10 million in cap space this year – which in the end could be useful for renegotiating, but is bad news if we’re really trying to win for right now (and we are, incidentally, in case that was a mystery). So, we’ll try to figure out what’s up – sometimes teams make a late decision to “rebuild” and are looking to deal away a veteran or two, so that might yet for out for us.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 12:21 PM   #502
QuikSand
lolzcat

Draft Day Trade-Up

In our usual wheelhouse, we are working the phone lines on draft day, and in round one, we move up a few slots to grab the guy we really wanted.

Code:
HLC receives: 1.32 2014 CHE 4th CHE receives: 1.29

LB Rex Pint looks like a standout pass rusher, and we will certainly give him a chance to do that – I’m not certain yet, but I will most definitely explore switching him to play at defensive end.

At 258 pounds, he will be a borderline crossover player, but he ought to at least be eligible for the position switch. If we don’t move him immediately, we can think about it longer term – if we bulk him up a bit, he might switch even better. Long term, I think this is a defensive end – especially if that “pass rush technique” rating stays at the top end of its range.

Major need for this team is a true answer at defensive end. We have 16th year man Lazaro and 12th year LB Galvan in the starting DE slots right now, but the most promising guy behind them is probably last year’s 4th round pick Kerry Meadows. If Pint works out, he could be a long term answer for us at a key position, and help to wipe out our most pressing defensive need.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:26 AM   #503
QuikSand
lolzcat

Draft and Free Agency Update

We resist the urge to deal up in the draft, and sit tight at pick 3(9), hoping for one of a few target players to fall to us. This was the zone where I got over-anxious last year, and paid for it.

Anyway – we land a fairly intriguing QB prospect with our pick in Walt Johnstone:

We are reaching pretty far down the QB list, and he is not well developed at all, but I like his combines in the two key areas I try to watch for a QB, intelligence and (arm) strength. We’ll see – the combine tells me he is possibly better than the scout impression above, but how much better?

Anyway – we have no more picks until round six and seven, so things will be quiet unless our effort to trade back in is successful. My second choice at 3(9) is still out there as we wind through round three of the draft, and the longer things go, the more value I think he is. We have a standing offer for a current pick to get our guy.

In free agency, it looks increasingly clear that we’re just not going to land an impact player. I have solid offers in to a few more players, and it would be nice to land one quality guy here or there, but my best guess is that we won’t end up with much of anything, and we will have pretty substantial unused cap heading into this season.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:44 AM   #504
cuervo72
Head Coach

4.44 is just sick for a DE, btw (but you knew that).

And Johnstone looks like one of your typical "creepers".
Old 12-11-2006, 08:51 AM   #505
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
4.44 is just sick for a DE, btw (but you knew that).

And Johnstone looks like one of your typical "creepers".

Yes, yes. *grins*
Old 12-11-2006, 02:14 PM   #506
JeffW
High School Varsity

Nice draft picks. I like Pint at DE or SLB more than WLB.

Johnstone should improve into the highish 50s and has a pretty good skill set sans the iffy avoid interceptions, which is unfortunately the first or second most important skill. Very solid pick at 3.9 in MP--can't believe he lasted this far really.

Last edited by JeffW : 12-11-2006 at 03:16 PM.
JeffW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 09:14 AM   #507
QuikSand
lolzcat

Roster Update

It appears that my efforts to sneak back into the draft will come up empty – the guys on my target list have been selected, and we’re deep into round four of the draft as I write. So, it’s time to take stock of where we are with the roster for this year.

I have a grid showing 51 players who are basically secure in holding their roster spots, including the top two rookies from this year’s draft. This 51 gives us a complete and full roster, so there’s fairly little to worry about. My general sense of my comfort with the position starters and depth:

QB Done - Sedor is great, and I think Gerhardt is ready to step into the #2 job.
RB Okay – Copley ought to be fine again this year, Wunderlich is fine behind him
FB Done – Very happy with Emerson and Wunderlich here
TE Okay – Not sure who starts, but Wunderlich and creepers Cooper and Leff are fine
WR Done – Deep here for this year, after not dealing away solid veteran reserves
OL Done – Return entire group from last year, including Tilton who gives great depth

DL SoSo – Lazaro and Lents good, Galvan out of position, shaky youth behind them
LB Thin – Two studs and a bunch of role players, but same as last year
DB Done – Return everyone from last year, strong and deep here

So, if we get a quick impact from rookie LB/DE Rex Pint, that might help shore up my biggest immediate need for this year – production from the DL. One of the biggest decisions for this year will be whether to shift him to DE right away – I am very anxious to see what the scout forecasts for the switch, and how he looks after training camp. A 95+ future rating in pass rush technique would be fantastic. A rating of something like 80 there would probably make him a relative disappointment.

We still have longer term needs at RB and LB. I had hoped to make a solid addition there in this draft, but things didn’t break that way for us. We ought to be fine in any event – this team is hardly in crisis – but there has to be a #1 issue no matter how far you have to dig to find it. Right now, this team has two areas of long-term concern:

-We are stocked with a lot of veterans, and it’s definitely possible that we see a big loss after this season, fueled by a new retirement routine in FOF 2007. if that happens, we could suddenly see a number of critical holes on the roster at places like RB, DL, and LB.

-We have a number of time-bomb contracts out there with players we really like, and if my impression is correct, these will be tough to negotiate away in FOF 2007 than in the current game. I think I can work away some before the end of this season, but we are probably going to have to make some painful cap-driven cuts down the road. A look at the team’s current contract structure (salary link) makes it clear that we’ll face a reckoning with several key players: LT Horace Kolodzik, G Gus Schmit, CB Herman Padgett, and S Jeff McCartney chief among them.

Assuming that we don’t make a splash in free agency in the remaining FA stages, we will be sorting out this level of detail down the road for this offseason, and basically returning most of last year’s roster for a run at defending the title.

Last edited by QuikSand : 12-14-2006 at 07:38 AM.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:37 AM   #508
QuikSand
lolzcat

Offseason Update

Well, we have managed to re-sign two of our veteran players and group leaders, as LB Stephen Watkins and C John Houtz have both accepted new contracts. I had assumed they would all along, but they kept us hanging a while. So, nothing new there, but we avoid an uncomfortable interruption in chemistry there.

Incidentally, I failed to send in a stage file last season and saw John Houtz get cut – so we have already suffered a cohesion loss from him, as the in-game perspective is that he was a new FA signing mid-season last year (that’s why he was even an eligible free agent this year to begin with).

In the draft, I get a slightly itchy trigger finger, and deal up for a decent-enough affinity linebacker at pick 6(2). I don’t have terribly high hopes for Lorenzo McDowell, but he had a decent combine, has an affinity with LB Watkins, and his skill set suggests that he at least has measurable skills in run defense and the pass coverage we focus on (bump). A maxed-out punishing hitter rating and some special teams skills seem to make him a solid roster-filler at a position group (LB) where our youngest other guy is probably going to be 8th year injury-washout Travis Kuykendall (among others). I’m just bracing for damage to come at this group, and if McDowell sticks, he can bridge a gap for us there, a bit.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:40 PM   #509
QuikSand
lolzcat

Draft Ends, Roster Pivot

The point where the draft ends and late free agency begins is a major pivot point in the offseason, as three things happen:

-we learn a bit more about the rookies on your roster
-older veteran players lose some skill to “aging” at this stage
-some veteran players have significant mid-career booms or busts here

We have news on all fronts here.

First – with our rookie class, I have not yet actuated any position switches, so no major news to report there. That will come soon, though.

What we do see is that rookie QB Walt Johnstone is not creeping, but soaring. He has already made two meaningful ratings jumps just since we selected him in the draft:

In draft: 7/45
On roster: 7/52
After draft: 8/57

So, it looks like he will pan out for us pretty well. I have launched a trade block, to see if there’s anyone who might be interested in a blooming future star QB, but my guess is that the overlap between “interested enough to know the value of a guy like this” and “so uninterested as to have a team void at quarterback” will be pretty narrow. I’m guessing that he will sit on my team, and we’ll just have to work to get him development chances.

Anyway… Pint is holding steady, and it looks like our other rookie LB Lorenzo McDowell had probably get used to feeding the reels on the A/V equipment. Mister Irrelevant, QB Phil Edwards, is dutifully playing the role of a “nice guy” in the locker room, which is his main attraction for us.

On the veteran front – tough stage, predictably. This is a pretty veteran team in many areas, and we took our ratings hits, as expected. Guys like RB Craps Copley and MLB Doug McKenzie took hits, but we will certainly still be counting on them in key roles for the coming season. Some of our chemistry leaders also took hits, but that’s not surprising nor troubling, as guys like C Houtz and S Upshaw aren’t here to actually play, anyway.

Now, the big news. While I was doing a little idle fishing around for a possible mid-career breakout player… it happened far closer than I might have guessed.

Four years ago, I liked TE Robert Cooper as an after-draft pickup. He was an affinity guy, had a pretty solid combine, and as a bonus, went to Syracuse, my alma mater. No brainer low-risk signing.

Turns out he was a bit of a creeper, and earned a slot in our longer-term planning. We actually gave him a fair diet of starts in his four years with us – including the full-time starting role last year, where he put together a best-yet season of 518 yards receiving and 5 TDs. A nice-enough tight end, plus his ratings were still creeping up – I was pretty content to head into the season with the Cooper pictured below, a perfectly suitable 51/51 rated journeyman, as our starter at the TE position once again:

However, after the last file update – Cooper is a new man. He was high volatility to begin with, and he was creeping anyway – but now he is a fully-developed force for the all-around game:

So, he goes from passable creeper pressed into duty, to standout all-around star-caliber player. Very good fortune for us, and our expectations for production from that position rise for this year.

The twist is that he was in a contract year anyway, and I failed to work out a new deal with him before the ratings boom. Now that his situation has “clarified” so crisply, his demands have adjusted accordingly. So, the undrafted free agent rookie who scrappily made the team against all odds and halped us to a title – he just might be the first serious cap casualty from this team. Next year, unless we use the franchise tag on him, it doesn’t look likely that we can bring him back – his current contract demands are suddenly for some $6 million a year after this season, and we have enough trouble just carrying the high-paid guys we already have.

Nobody will be shedding a tear for the poor, poor Chili Dogs, exactly – but finding productive players at bargain cap prices is an awfully big part of this game. I knew we had one right here already – now the level of value might have jumped through the roof, as Cooper will play this season for a simple $680,000 cap value.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:40 PM   #510
QuikSand
lolzcat

Free Agency/Roster Update

Well, the big news in this early stage of the late free agency period is that we went ahead and pulled the trigger on LB Rex Pint, submitting the position switch to RDE. Scout said it would go at 90%, so I’m mostly hoping that his ratings range for pass rush technique remains topped-out. After the new file comes through, here’s the new-look Rex:

So… I guess the saving grace is that he didn’t accept my initial contract offer. Now, my thinking is that we won’t even sign him. I don’t see how the Rex Pint we now see is actually worth the first-rounder contract that he seeks, so my best guess is that we just let him rot and throw him back. Dammit. That’s three top picks in the last two years seeking to land a long-term answer at pass rusher, and all three look like busto.

In other trivial news, we signed a couple of after-draft rookies who might have a longshot chance of making the team. Well, their chajnces probably increased now that there’s one more roster slot open. Wonderful.

We did work out a few contract renegotiations and extensions, most notably a nice four-year deal with free safety Jeff McCartney. He made the single biggest play in the franchise’s history, and he gets to stay on this team as long as I’m running the show. His new deal probably locks him up through 2016, which probably covers his remaining productive seasons – he’ll be a 10th year veteran by the time this deal runs out, and in FOF 2007, he’ll probably be a shell of his former self at that point.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:09 PM   #511
QuikSand
lolzcat

Training Camp

We have wrapped up our free agency period, and finished training camp. As we prepare for the pretend fake football games, just a few quick notes – as the team is basically already in its final form.

Young Player Updates:

Rookie QB Walt Johnstone continues to creep… or rather he continues to leap… and while I have him on my trade block, I expect that I won’t get the draft pick I’m looking for, and will keep him around and hope that he continues the upward track. His potential rating is now 62… up from 45 during the draft. I don’t think I have ever seen such an upward trajectory.

Rookie DE Rex Pint is almost certainly going to be tossed back for next year’s draft – he just didn’t make it through the position switch well, and just looks too marginal to be worth the first-rounder contract. I have exhausted most of my cap now, and he just doesn’t fit into my plans – I’m not going to repeat last year’s mistake and offer a contract anyway to a player I already believe is only marginal.

It looks like we have two decent-looking young guards in Shane Csonka from last year’s draft and Drew Wickham from this year’s rookie class. While we are very comfortable with our starters at guard right now, it’s not a position I like to invest a lot of capital into, so cheap backups are good to have around.

Position Battles:

Well, we can avoid making any cuts at all if we get a couple of well-positioned preseason injuries, but under the preseason regime in place for this league – here’s what we will be watching:

RB Sam Cook vs. Albert Lombardo – If Cook looks like he can play, I’d rather have a young guy here, but Lombardo seems like better insurance for an injury to Craps Copley for the first-and-ten running back role. Lombardo could also play some WR in a pinch. Both probably make the team, even though Sam Cook is not creeping as I thought he once was.

CB Pete Ristic – He’s probably at the top of my cut list if we have to, so he will be trying to earn a roster slot. C.J. Daniels looks to be progressing nicely enough, so I don’t think we have any problem there – if we drop Ristic, we still have 7 DBs worth putting onto the field. He’s in trouble.

From here, the basically inconsqeuential preseason, and then we’ll be gearing up for the season and our title defense.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:32 PM   #512
QuikSand
lolzcat

Preseason Underway

Without lucky injuries to motivate us, I guess we’ll have to settle for some game logs:

Code:
Box Score: Chesapeake at Hudson Valley Hudson Valley, NY. Exhibition Week 2, 2013 Attendance: 66,300 (69,500). Weather: 59 degrees, fair. 1Q: 09:06 HDV - Freddie Pieper 1 pass from Jamie Wright. 1Q: 09:06 HDV - Richard Kozlowski extra point. 1Q: 05:09 HDV - Richard Kozlowski 27 field goal. 2Q: 12:55 HDV - Melvin Beyer 6 run. 2Q: 12:55 HDV - Richard Kozlowski extra point. 2Q: 03:33 CHE - Sam Cook 1 run. 2Q: 03:33 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 3Q: 11:08 HDV - Richard Kozlowski 33 field goal. 3Q: 08:51 CHE - Kent Fields 57 pass from Walt Johnstone. 3Q: 08:51 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 3Q: 00:07 CHE - Bill Wunderlich 1 run. 3Q: 00:07 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 4Q: 01:22 HDV - Quinn Vinatieri 3 run. 4Q: 01:22 HDV - Freddie Pieper run for conversion failed. Game MVP: HDV 23 Freddie Pieper Chesapeake 0 7 14 0 - 21 Hudson Valley 10 7 3 6 - 26 Team Statistics CHE HDV First Downs 20 25 Total Rushes 24 35 Rushing Yards 84 188 Yards Per Carry 3.5 5.3 Pass Attempts 42 33 Completions 18 18 Passing Yards 243 259 Yards Per Attempt 5.7 7.8 Sacked 1 2 Yards Lost 4 11 Interceptions 3 0 Fumbles/Lost 1/1 2/1 Total Plays 67 70 Total Yards 323 436 Yards Per Play 4.8 6.2 3rd Down Plays 8/14 5/11 Avg. YTG on 3rd 8.5 7.0 4th Down Plays 1/1 0/0 Penalties 6 6 Penalty Yards 49 55 Avg. Drive Start OWN 28 OWN 26 Time Of Possession 27:26 32:34 Chesapeake Individual Statistics Rushing Att Yards Avg Long TD 38 Cook 11 29 2.6 6 1 47 Wunderlich 7 26 3.7 6 1 7 Gerhardt 3 16 5.3 6 0 40 Lombardo 2 8 4.0 6 0 4 Johnstone 1 5 5.0 5 0 Passing Att Comp Yards Yd/Att Long TD Int Sckd 4 Johnstone 26 14 184 7.0 57 1 2 0 7 Gerhardt 16 4 59 3.6 21 0 1 1 Receiving Catch Yards Avg YAC Long TD 86 Fields 5 97 19.4 41 57 1 81 Whiting 4 46 11.5 7 16 0 18 Ellis 3 46 15.3 13 21 0 42 Emerson 2 12 6.0 0 6 0 13 Cooper 2 16 8.0 2 9 0 38 Cook 1 13 13.0 0 13 0 83 Leff 1 13 13.0 4 13 0 Punt Returns Att Yards Avg TD 18 Ellis 1 3 3.0 0 Kick Returns Att Yards Avg TD 80 Torpey 3 45 15.0 0 Punting Punts Yards Avg Long In20 9 Alfonso 4 179 44.7 60 1 Kicking FG FGA Long PAT Att 19 Everhart 0 0 0 3 3 Defense Tackle Assist Sack Int IntYds IntTD 23 Vesser 9 1 0.0 0 0 0 21 McCartney 5 4 0.0 0 0 0 56 Kuykendall 5 3 0.0 0 0 0 99 White 4 2 0.5 0 0 0 93 Lazaro 4 0 0.0 0 0 0 30 Ristic 4 0 0.0 0 0 0 90 Meadows 3 1 1.0 0 0 0 52 McDowell 3 5 0.0 0 0 0 29 Schwantz 3 1 0.0 0 0 0 28 Daniels 3 0 0.0 0 0 0 94 Clayton 2 2 0.0 0 0 0 41 Upshaw 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 97 Gibbons 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 83 Leff 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 70 Armagost 1 1 0.5 0 0 0 32 Webb 1 3 0.0 0 0 0 58 Galvan 1 2 0.0 0 0 0 31 Padgett 1 1 0.0 0 0 0 96 Lents 1 1 0.0 0 0 0 47 Wunderlich 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 53 Houtz 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 57 Dennis 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 42 Emerson 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 18 Ellis 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 Miscellaneous Fumb FForc Recov MiscTD KeyRBlk SckAlwd 75 Burns 0 0 0 0 1 1 61 Boyd 0 0 0 0 3 0 63 Wickham 0 0 0 0 2 0 97 Gibbons 0 0 1 0 0 0 54 Turnbull 0 0 0 0 1 0 18 Ellis 1 0 0 0 0 0 96 Lents 0 1 0 0 0 0 90 Meadows 0 1 0 0 0 0

Nothing very impressive from the QB position here, I fear.

Code:
Box Score: New Jersey at Chesapeake Chesapeake, PA. Exhibition Week 3, 2013 Attendance: 45,100 (58,000). Weather: 89 degrees, fair. 1Q: 09:28 CHE - David Everhart 39 field goal. 1Q: 01:54 CHE - David Everhart 31 field goal. 2Q: 10:53 JER - Will Dominguez 2 pass from Brian Harrington. 2Q: 10:53 JER - Marty Caldwell extra point. 2Q: 08:05 CHE - Jonathan Whiting 21 pass from Walt Johnstone. 2Q: 08:05 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 2Q: 00:00 JER - Marty Caldwell 37 field goal. 3Q: 12:06 CHE - David Everhart 38 field goal. 3Q: 00:28 CHE - Jonathan Whiting 4 pass from Walt Johnstone. 3Q: 00:28 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 4Q: 05:04 JER - Ike Richard 8 run. 4Q: 05:04 JER - Marty Caldwell extra point. 4Q: 02:09 CHE - David Everhart 57 field goal. Game MVP: CHE 70 Dwight Armagost New Jersey 0 10 0 7 - 17 Chesapeake 6 7 10 3 - 26 Team Statistics JER CHE First Downs 23 20 Total Rushes 26 23 Rushing Yards 102 83 Yards Per Carry 3.9 3.6 Pass Attempts 43 40 Completions 19 22 Passing Yards 243 253 Yards Per Attempt 5.6 6.3 Sacked 5 0 Yards Lost 26 0 Interceptions 1 2 Fumbles/Lost 0/0 1/0 Total Plays 74 63 Total Yards 319 336 Yards Per Play 4.3 5.3 3rd Down Plays 7/16 7/14 Avg. YTG on 3rd 7.0 8.7 4th Down Plays 0/0 0/0 Penalties 3 13 Penalty Yards 20 98 Avg. Drive Start OWN 28 OWN 34 Time Of Possession 27:38 32:22 Chesapeake Individual Statistics Rushing Att Yards Avg Long TD 38 Cook 12 53 4.4 14 0 40 Lombardo 6 6 1.0 5 0 47 Wunderlich 2 13 6.5 9 0 42 Emerson 2 6 3.0 5 0 7 Gerhardt 1 5 5.0 5 0 Passing Att Comp Yards Yd/Att Long TD Int Sckd 4 Johnstone 30 14 183 6.1 37 2 2 0 7 Gerhardt 10 8 70 7.0 12 0 0 0 Receiving Catch Yards Avg YAC Long TD 86 Fields 5 44 8.8 2 12 0 42 Emerson 4 32 8.0 1 10 0 82 Abdul-Malik 4 43 10.7 7 15 0 38 Cook 3 33 11.0 0 12 0 81 Whiting 3 39 13.0 5 21 2 47 Wunderlich 1 10 10.0 3 10 0 13 Cooper 1 37 37.0 6 37 0 83 Leff 1 15 15.0 2 15 0 Punt Returns Att Yards Avg TD Kick Returns Att Yards Avg TD 82 Abdul-Malik 1 36 36.0 0 18 Ellis 1 31 31.0 0 Punting Punts Yards Avg Long In20 9 Alfonso 4 121 30.2 41 3 Kicking FG FGA Long PAT Att 19 Everhart 4 4 57 2 2 Defense Tackle Assist Sack Int IntYds IntTD 56 Kuykendall 7 1 0.0 0 0 0 70 Armagost 5 1 2.0 0 0 0 99 White 4 0 0.5 0 0 0 28 Daniels 4 2 0.0 0 0 0 52 McDowell 4 1 0.0 0 0 0 57 Dennis 4 0 0.0 0 0 0 29 Schwantz 3 1 0.0 1 7 0 94 Clayton 2 1 1.5 0 0 0 32 Webb 2 2 0.0 0 0 0 93 Lazaro 2 1 0.0 0 0 0 97 Gibbons 2 1 0.0 0 0 0 41 Upshaw 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 21 McCartney 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 13 Cooper 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 23 Vesser 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 18 Ellis 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 96 Lents 1 0 1.0 0 0 0 58 Galvan 1 1 0.0 0 0 0 47 Wunderlich 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 95 Watkins 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 90 Meadows 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 30 Ristic 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 31 Padgett 0 1 0.0 0 0 0 Miscellaneous Fumb FForc Recov MiscTD KeyRBlk SckAlwd 54 Turnbull 0 0 0 0 2 0 75 Burns 0 0 0 0 2 0 63 Wickham 0 0 0 0 2 0 61 Boyd 0 0 0 0 1 0 38 Cook 1 0 0 0 0 0 81 Whiting 0 0 1 0 0 0

Not all that often you get to see a defensive tackle names game MVP – but good for you, Dwight Armagost! He’s battling for playing time this year, and is either #3 or #2 in our queue for time at DT.

Both young QBs seemed to perform fairly well, and at least those two got all the snaps. If results here matter, then Sam Cook helped his case in the RB battle.

Anyway… one more preseason sim, and we’ll be ready for the real fake football games.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:06 PM   #513
QuikSand
lolzcat

Sorry for my absence a bit, but we have gotten the roster pared down, and we’re ready to get things started…

Week 1: South Carolina at Chesapeake

We open at home, against the former tankers from South Carolina, who now seem to be interested in winning games again, and have assembled a good deal more talent than they fielded the last couple of seasons. We’ll try to defer those hopes at least one week.

Code:
Box Score: South Carolina at Chesapeake Chesapeake, PA. Week 1, 2013 Attendance: 45,100 (58,000). Weather: 82 degrees, fair. 1Q: 05:18 SCA - James Langley 14 pass from Dixon Zhao. 1Q: 05:18 SCA - Colin Clayton extra point. 2Q: 11:30 CHE - Brent Sedor 3 run. 2Q: 11:30 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 2Q: 08:17 SCA - Barry Stephenson 11 fumble return. 2Q: 08:17 SCA - Colin Clayton extra point. 2Q: 03:12 CHE - Robert Cooper 7 pass from Brent Sedor. 2Q: 03:12 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 2Q: 00:20 CHE - David Everhart 39 field goal. 3Q: 11:24 CHE - Craps Copley 6 run. 3Q: 11:24 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 3Q: 06:56 SCA - Colin Clayton 43 field goal. 3Q: 03:14 CHE - Bill Wunderlich 8 pass from Brent Sedor. 3Q: 03:14 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 4Q: 14:26 CHE - Kent Fields 5 fumble return. 4Q: 14:26 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 4Q: 12:51 CHE - Leland Tellez 65 interception return. 4Q: 12:51 CHE - David Everhart extra point. Game MVP: CHE 16 Brent Sedor South Carolina 7 7 3 0 - 17 Chesapeake 0 17 14 14 - 45 Team Statistics SCA CHE First Downs 19 25 Total Rushes 26 27 Rushing Yards 95 128 Yards Per Carry 3.6 4.7 Pass Attempts 31 27 Completions 19 21 Passing Yards 246 263 Yards Per Attempt 7.9 9.7 Sacked 3 2 Yards Lost 30 12 Interceptions 1 0 Fumbles/Lost 2/1 3/1 Total Plays 60 56 Total Yards 311 379 Yards Per Play 5.1 6.7 3rd Down Plays 6/13 3/8 Avg. YTG on 3rd 7.8 7.6 4th Down Plays 0/0 1/1 Penalties 10 6 Penalty Yards 88 40 Avg. Drive Start OWN 18 OWN 38 Time Of Possession 31:14 28:46 Chesapeake Individual Statistics Rushing Att Yards Avg Long TD 45 Copley 18 105 5.8 18 1 40 Lombardo 4 9 2.2 5 0 16 Sedor 3 15 5.0 8 1 42 Emerson 2 -1 -0.5 2 0 Passing Att Comp Yards Yd/Att Long TD Int Sckd 16 Sedor 26 20 261 10.0 25 2 0 2 9 Alfonso 1 1 2 2.0 2 0 0 0 Receiving Catch Yards Avg YAC Long TD 13 Cooper 6 72 12.0 11 25 1 8 Pearson 4 59 14.7 11 17 0 45 Copley 3 37 12.3 12 16 0 42 Emerson 3 18 6.0 9 8 0 47 Wunderlich 2 24 12.0 4 16 1 80 Torpey 1 11 11.0 0 11 0 40 Lombardo 1 24 24.0 3 24 0 87 Hastings 1 18 18.0 2 18 0 Punt Returns Att Yards Avg TD 34 Tellez 1 10 10.0 0 18 Ellis 1 0 0.0 0 Kick Returns Att Yards Avg TD 27 Kuehler 2 54 27.0 0 18 Ellis 2 64 32.0 0 Punting Punts Yards Avg Long In20 9 Alfonso 2 96 48.0 50 0 Kicking FG FGA Long PAT Att 19 Everhart 1 1 39 6 6 Defense Tackle Assist Sack Int IntYds IntTD 93 Lazaro 6 6 2.0 0 0 0 59 McKenzie 6 1 0.0 0 0 0 92 Ewart 6 1 0.0 0 0 0 97 Gibbons 4 1 0.0 0 0 0 23 Vesser 4 1 0.0 0 0 0 31 Padgett 4 0 0.0 0 0 0 58 Galvan 3 0 0.5 0 0 0 29 Schwantz 3 3 0.0 0 0 0 21 McCartney 3 1 0.0 0 0 0 27 Kuehler 2 1 0.0 0 0 0 95 Watkins 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 32 Webb 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 28 Daniels 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 80 Torpey 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 99 White 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 56 Kuykendall 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 86 Fields 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 96 Lents 0 3 0.5 0 0 0 34 Tellez 0 1 0.0 1 65 1 Miscellaneous Fumb FForc Recov MiscTD KeyRBlk SckAlwd 66 Schmit 0 0 0 0 4 1 60 Brandon 0 0 0 0 3 0 86 Fields 0 0 1 1 0 0 42 Emerson 0 0 0 0 0 1 47 Wunderlich 0 0 1 0 1 0 40 Lombardo 2 0 0 0 0 0 93 Lazaro 0 1 0 0 0 0 79 Tilton 0 0 0 0 1 0 13 Cooper 0 0 0 0 1 0 34 Tellez 0 0 1 0 0 0 23 Vesser 0 1 0 0 0 0 18 Ellis 1 0 0 0 0 0

Well, we stretched things out a bit in the end, especially with a defensive touchdown, but this wasn’t quite the romp that the scoreboard might have suggested.

Clean bill of health, and we are off to a solid start, behind a solid division win.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:28 PM   #514
QuikSand
lolzcat

Week 2: Norman (1-0) at Chesapeake (1-0)

We are favored at home over a solid team in Norman – LB McKenzie is dinged up but will start, but past that we are in good health. No gameplanning chicanery here, we’ll be pretty vanilla.

Code:
Box Score: Norman at Chesapeake Chesapeake, PA. Week 2, 2013 Attendance: 45,100 (58,000). Weather: 50 degrees, fair. 1Q: 08:14 CHE - David Everhart 49 field goal. 1Q: 01:30 CHE - George Ellis 6 pass from Brent Sedor. 1Q: 01:30 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 2Q: 11:10 CHE - Albert Lombardo 15 run. 2Q: 11:10 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 2Q: 06:57 CHE - Robert Cooper 49 pass from Brent Sedor. 2Q: 06:57 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 2Q: 00:01 CHE - Craps Copley 21 run. 2Q: 00:01 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 3Q: 06:04 CHE - Albert Lombardo 2 pass from Brent Sedor. 3Q: 06:04 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 4Q: 05:54 NOR - Morris Robertson 28 field goal. 4Q: 04:59 CHE - Kent Fields 81 pass from Walt Johnstone. 4Q: 04:59 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 4Q: 00:20 NOR - Morris Robertson 39 field goal. Game MVP: CHE 16 Brent Sedor Norman 0 0 0 6 - 6 Chesapeake 10 21 7 7 - 45 Team Statistics NOR CHE First Downs 13 28 Total Rushes 28 36 Rushing Yards 93 197 Yards Per Carry 3.3 5.4 Pass Attempts 22 28 Completions 10 19 Passing Yards 153 357 Yards Per Attempt 6.9 12.7 Sacked 0 2 Yards Lost 0 14 Interceptions 1 0 Fumbles/Lost 0/0 1/0 Total Plays 50 66 Total Yards 246 540 Yards Per Play 4.9 8.1 3rd Down Plays 1/10 9/13 Avg. YTG on 3rd 6.9 6.9 4th Down Plays 0/0 0/0 Penalties 4 4 Penalty Yards 20 27 Avg. Drive Start OWN 19 OWN 25 Time Of Possession 23:47 36:13 Chesapeake Individual Statistics Rushing Att Yards Avg Long TD 45 Copley 20 105 5.2 21 1 40 Lombardo 13 57 4.3 16 1 16 Sedor 3 35 11.6 14 0 Passing Att Comp Yards Yd/Att Long TD Int Sckd 16 Sedor 25 16 244 9.7 49 3 0 1 4 Johnstone 3 3 113 37.6 81 1 0 1 Receiving Catch Yards Avg YAC Long TD 86 Fields 7 177 25.2 80 81 1 13 Cooper 6 104 17.3 53 49 1 45 Copley 2 25 12.5 2 14 0 18 Ellis 2 24 12.0 3 18 1 80 Torpey 1 25 25.0 0 25 0 40 Lombardo 1 2 2.0 1 2 1 Punt Returns Att Yards Avg TD 18 Ellis 1 14 14.0 0 Kick Returns Att Yards Avg TD 80 Torpey 1 14 14.0 0 18 Ellis 1 21 21.0 0 Punting Punts Yards Avg Long In20 9 Alfonso 3 127 42.3 49 1 Kicking FG FGA Long PAT Att 19 Everhart 1 1 49 6 6 Defense Tackle Assist Sack Int IntYds IntTD 59 McKenzie 6 1 0.0 0 0 0 96 Lents 6 0 0.0 0 0 0 97 Gibbons 5 1 0.0 0 0 0 27 Kuehler 3 1 0.0 1 0 0 23 Vesser 2 3 0.0 0 0 0 34 Tellez 2 2 0.0 0 0 0 31 Padgett 2 1 0.0 0 0 0 92 Ewart 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 32 Webb 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 94 Clayton 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 99 White 1 2 0.0 0 0 0 28 Daniels 1 1 0.0 0 0 0 47 Wunderlich 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 58 Galvan 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 95 Watkins 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 40 Lombardo 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 87 Hastings 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 57 Dennis 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 21 McCartney 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 29 Schwantz 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 70 Armagost 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 86 Fields 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 56 Kuykendall 0 1 0.0 0 0 0 Miscellaneous Fumb FForc Recov MiscTD KeyRBlk SckAlwd 63 Wickham 0 0 0 0 0 1 66 Schmit 0 0 0 0 4 1 73 Kolodzik 0 0 0 0 4 0 60 Brandon 0 0 0 0 3 0 54 Turnbull 0 0 0 0 2 0 45 Copley 1 0 0 0 0 0 42 Emerson 0 0 1 0 0 0

Well, I sort of had the feeling that this wee we might have to overcome real struggles and maybe a key injury to sneak away with a win… but on further reflection, not so much. A solid win, and oddly we see the rookie QB Walt Johnstone trotted out for some token mop-up duty, where he hits on 3 for 3 passing and a long TD strike (he audibled it, I promise you, I didn’t call a bomb when ahead 38-6).

We come out with several fairly minor injuries, but we’ll head to play Hell Creek next week with a few shuffles made to the lineup here and there – most notably at WR where we will be without Burt Pearson.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:05 AM   #515
QuikSand
lolzcat

Week 3: Hell Creek (1-1) at Chesapeake (2-0)

Big game early in the season – Hell Creek is certainly among the teams we need to be watching for conference supremacy. In our thirs straight home game, we have juggled the lineup a bit to account for injuries, but are basically in decent shape (thought without WR Burt Pearson).

Code:
Box Score: Hell Creek at Chesapeake Chesapeake, PA. Week 3, 2013 Attendance: 45,100 (58,000). Weather: 59 degrees, fair. 2Q: 09:20 HLC - Marlon Honaker 50 field goal. 2Q: 04:11 CHE - Kent Fields 3 pass from Brent Sedor. 2Q: 04:11 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 3Q: 00:10 HLC - Todd Rausch 15 pass from Skip Peterson. 3Q: 00:10 HLC - Marlon Honaker extra point. 4Q: 09:29 CHE - David Everhart 36 field goal. 4Q: 05:49 HLC - Todd Rausch 48 pass from Skip Peterson. 4Q: 05:49 HLC - Marlon Honaker extra point. Game MVP: HLC 19 Skip Peterson Hell Creek 0 3 7 7 - 17 Chesapeake 0 7 0 3 - 10 Team Statistics HLC CHE First Downs 20 15 Total Rushes 37 21 Rushing Yards 172 88 Yards Per Carry 4.6 4.1 Pass Attempts 27 30 Completions 18 16 Passing Yards 210 235 Yards Per Attempt 7.7 7.8 Sacked 0 2 Yards Lost 0 10 Interceptions 1 0 Fumbles/Lost 1/0 3/2 Total Plays 64 53 Total Yards 382 313 Yards Per Play 5.9 5.9 3rd Down Plays 8/14 1/9 Avg. YTG on 3rd 6.2 10.3 4th Down Plays 0/0 0/1 Penalties 5 10 Penalty Yards 40 66 Avg. Drive Start OWN 30 OWN 24 Time Of Possession 33:51 26:09 Chesapeake Individual Statistics Rushing Att Yards Avg Long TD 45 Copley 13 53 4.0 12 0 40 Lombardo 5 11 2.2 7 0 16 Sedor 3 24 8.0 11 0 Passing Att Comp Yards Yd/Att Long TD Int Sckd 16 Sedor 30 16 235 7.8 27 1 0 2 Receiving Catch Yards Avg YAC Long TD 86 Fields 5 73 14.6 11 27 1 80 Torpey 3 56 18.6 6 26 0 45 Copley 2 36 18.0 1 25 0 18 Ellis 2 35 17.5 4 25 0 87 Hastings 1 12 12.0 1 12 0 42 Emerson 1 8 8.0 0 8 0 13 Cooper 1 12 12.0 2 12 0 83 Leff 1 3 3.0 0 3 0 Punt Returns Att Yards Avg TD 18 Ellis 1 4 4.0 0 Kick Returns Att Yards Avg TD 27 Kuehler 3 98 32.6 0 18 Ellis 1 22 22.0 0 Punting Punts Yards Avg Long In20 9 Alfonso 4 171 42.7 54 1 Kicking FG FGA Long PAT Att 19 Everhart 1 1 36 1 1 Defense Tackle Assist Sack Int IntYds IntTD 27 Kuehler 7 5 0.0 0 0 0 59 McKenzie 6 3 0.0 0 0 0 92 Ewart 6 3 0.0 0 0 0 97 Gibbons 6 0 0.0 0 0 0 99 White 6 0 0.0 0 0 0 29 Schwantz 4 2 0.0 0 0 0 96 Lents 4 1 0.0 0 0 0 93 Lazaro 3 3 0.0 0 0 0 31 Padgett 3 2 0.0 0 0 0 70 Armagost 2 1 0.0 0 0 0 21 McCartney 1 3 0.0 1 0 0 47 Wunderlich 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 57 Dennis 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 66 Schmit 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 34 Tellez 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 23 Vesser 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 83 Leff 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 90 Meadows 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 Miscellaneous Fumb FForc Recov MiscTD KeyRBlk SckAlwd 54 Turnbull 0 0 0 0 3 1 66 Schmit 0 0 0 0 3 0 79 Tilton 0 0 0 0 0 1 45 Copley 1 0 0 0 0 0 40 Lombardo 1 0 0 0 0 0 60 Brandon 0 0 0 0 1 0 31 Padgett 0 1 0 0 0 0 21 McCartney 0 0 1 0 0 0 18 Ellis 1 0 0 0 0 0

This is a game we certainly could have won, but I can’t exactly say we should have won it. Our running game was not very effective, and my stab at “beating” the excellent HLC secondary didn’t yield quite what I was hoping for. Two fumbles didn’t help things, but we should have played well enough to overcome that problem. 10 points is not what we’re looking for from this offense.

Next week, back at home to host 0-3 Norwich, and hopefully come out of this absurd scheduling quirk with a 3-1 record and a shot to keep pace with resurgent, new-look Portland in our increasingly shaky-looking division.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:53 AM   #516
QuikSand
lolzcat

Week 4: Norwich (0-3) at Chesapeake (2-1)

This is our last of four straight home games to open the season, and coming out with a loss is disappointing enough. A loss here would be just terrible. We have WR Pearson back, and will be looking to run a pretty standard CHE gameplan and just handle things with superior firepower.

Code:
Box Score: Norwich at Chesapeake Chesapeake, PA. Week 4, 2013 Attendance: 45,100 (58,000). Weather: 47 degrees, fair. 1Q: 02:34 CHE - Craps Copley 1 run. 1Q: 02:34 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 2Q: 10:26 NRW - Grady Winslett 25 field goal. 2Q: 00:03 CHE - David Everhart 48 field goal. 3Q: 04:43 NRW - Grady Winslett 47 field goal. 4Q: 06:40 NRW - Grady Winslett 29 field goal. Game MVP: CHE 16 Brent Sedor Norwich 0 3 3 3 - 9 Chesapeake 7 3 0 0 - 10 Team Statistics NRW CHE First Downs 15 15 Total Rushes 23 32 Rushing Yards 97 80 Yards Per Carry 4.2 2.5 Pass Attempts 31 23 Completions 22 18 Passing Yards 193 211 Yards Per Attempt 6.2 9.1 Sacked 0 0 Yards Lost 0 0 Interceptions 0 0 Fumbles/Lost 1/1 2/1 Total Plays 54 55 Total Yards 290 291 Yards Per Play 5.3 5.2 3rd Down Plays 5/12 5/12 Avg. YTG on 3rd 8.5 4.9 4th Down Plays 0/0 0/1 Penalties 6 4 Penalty Yards 60 40 Avg. Drive Start OWN 26 OWN 26 Time Of Possession 31:09 28:51 Chesapeake Individual Statistics Rushing Att Yards Avg Long TD 45 Copley 21 51 2.4 10 1 16 Sedor 4 15 3.7 12 0 38 Cook 4 13 3.2 4 0 42 Emerson 3 1 0.3 2 0 Passing Att Comp Yards Yd/Att Long TD Int Sckd 16 Sedor 23 18 211 9.1 23 0 0 0 Receiving Catch Yards Avg YAC Long TD 87 Hastings 6 88 14.6 14 23 0 45 Copley 5 47 9.4 4 17 0 13 Cooper 4 56 14.0 3 22 0 18 Ellis 1 9 9.0 1 9 0 38 Cook 1 3 3.0 1 3 0 86 Fields 1 8 8.0 0 8 0 Punt Returns Att Yards Avg TD 18 Ellis 1 10 10.0 0 Kick Returns Att Yards Avg TD 18 Ellis 3 90 30.0 0 Punting Punts Yards Avg Long In20 9 Alfonso 5 195 39.0 44 2 Kicking FG FGA Long PAT Att 19 Everhart 1 1 48 1 1 Defense Tackle Assist Sack Int IntYds IntTD 21 McCartney 9 2 0.0 0 0 0 96 Lents 8 0 0.0 0 0 0 92 Ewart 5 6 0.0 0 0 0 59 McKenzie 5 1 0.0 0 0 0 27 Kuehler 5 1 0.0 0 0 0 97 Gibbons 3 2 0.0 0 0 0 31 Padgett 3 1 0.0 0 0 0 93 Lazaro 2 3 0.0 0 0 0 29 Schwantz 2 1 0.0 0 0 0 70 Armagost 1 1 0.0 0 0 0 42 Emerson 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 34 Tellez 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 23 Vesser 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 90 Meadows 0 1 0.0 0 0 0 28 Daniels 0 1 0.0 0 0 0 Miscellaneous Fumb FForc Recov MiscTD KeyRBlk SckAlwd 73 Kolodzik 0 0 0 0 2 0 18 Ellis 1 0 1 0 0 0 45 Copley 1 0 0 0 0 0 97 Gibbons 0 0 1 0 0 0 66 Schmit 0 0 0 0 1 0 54 Turnbull 0 0 0 0 1 0 60 Brandon 0 0 0 0 1 0 21 McCartney 0 1 0 0 0 0

Wow, 10 points two weeks in a row. Fortunately, the 10 was good enough this week – but just barely. This was a very even game.

Hats off to the defense this week, and we’re definitely heading under the hood to see what we might be able to do with the offense. We head on the road to face 4-0 Portland this week, so it would be a good time to get things humming again.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:56 AM   #517
QuikSand
lolzcat

Week 5: Chesapeake (3-1) at Portland (3-0)

Okay, this is easy to set up – Portland is already a game ahead in the loss column, and a win here for them puts us in a tough spot just to win our division, much less worry about playoff seeding and the like. We didn’t want to be in a spot like this so early, but we really would like a big showing here in our road debut.

Code:
Box Score: Chesapeake at Portland Portland, OR. Week 5, 2013 Attendance: 74,900 (79,700). Weather: 55 degrees, rain. 1Q: 10:04 CHE - Sam Cook 4 run. 1Q: 10:04 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 1Q: 04:26 POR - Alvin Arnold 8 pass from Randall Sosa. 1Q: 04:26 POR - Tyrus Foley extra point. 2Q: 03:01 POR - Nick Austin 3 run. 2Q: 03:01 POR - Tyrus Foley extra point. 4Q: 07:15 CHE - Craps Copley 2 pass from Brent Sedor. 4Q: 07:15 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 4Q: 00:04 CHE - David Everhart 30 field goal. Game MVP: CHE 45 Craps Copley Chesapeake 7 0 0 10 - 17 Portland 7 7 0 0 - 14 Team Statistics CHE POR First Downs 16 25 Total Rushes 27 37 Rushing Yards 105 127 Yards Per Carry 3.8 3.4 Pass Attempts 28 34 Completions 13 25 Passing Yards 188 252 Yards Per Attempt 6.7 7.4 Sacked 1 0 Yards Lost 5 0 Interceptions 2 0 Fumbles/Lost 1/0 3/3 Total Plays 56 71 Total Yards 288 379 Yards Per Play 5.1 5.3 3rd Down Plays 2/11 7/14 Avg. YTG on 3rd 7.2 5.1 4th Down Plays 0/0 0/0 Penalties 11 10 Penalty Yards 75 70 Avg. Drive Start OWN 35 OWN 22 Time Of Possession 25:37 34:23 Chesapeake Individual Statistics Rushing Att Yards Avg Long TD 45 Copley 17 79 4.6 19 0 38 Cook 5 15 3.0 6 1 16 Sedor 3 12 4.0 7 0 42 Emerson 2 -1 -0.5 0 0 Passing Att Comp Yards Yd/Att Long TD Int Sckd 16 Sedor 28 13 188 6.7 35 1 2 1 Receiving Catch Yards Avg YAC Long TD 45 Copley 5 49 9.8 14 18 1 87 Hastings 3 62 20.6 4 35 0 18 Ellis 2 36 18.0 7 25 0 80 Torpey 1 9 9.0 4 9 0 38 Cook 1 7 7.0 0 7 0 86 Fields 1 25 25.0 2 25 0 Punt Returns Att Yards Avg TD Kick Returns Att Yards Avg TD 27 Kuehler 1 20 20.0 0 Punting Punts Yards Avg Long In20 9 Alfonso 6 300 50.0 60 3 Kicking FG FGA Long PAT Att 19 Everhart 1 2 30 2 2 Defense Tackle Assist Sack Int IntYds IntTD 59 McKenzie 13 5 0.0 0 0 0 31 Padgett 9 3 0.0 0 0 0 92 Ewart 7 2 0.0 0 0 0 99 White 5 4 0.0 0 0 0 21 McCartney 5 3 0.0 0 0 0 96 Lents 5 0 0.0 0 0 0 29 Schwantz 4 3 0.0 0 0 0 27 Kuehler 3 4 0.0 0 0 0 93 Lazaro 3 1 0.0 0 0 0 97 Gibbons 3 1 0.0 0 0 0 57 Dennis 3 0 0.0 0 0 0 90 Meadows 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 80 Torpey 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 79 Tilton 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 66 Schmit 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 13 Cooper 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 34 Tellez 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 23 Vesser 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 8 Pearson 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 52 McDowell 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 28 Daniels 0 1 0.0 0 0 0 Miscellaneous Fumb FForc Recov MiscTD KeyRBlk SckAlwd 42 Emerson 0 0 1 0 3 1 66 Schmit 0 1 0 0 2 0 59 McKenzie 0 2 0 0 0 0 54 Turnbull 0 0 1 0 1 0 60 Brandon 0 0 0 0 2 0 96 Lents 0 0 2 0 0 0 79 Tilton 0 0 0 0 1 0 13 Cooper 0 0 0 0 1 0 18 Ellis 1 0 0 0 0 0

Well, another very shaky day from the offense and Sedor, but the defense bails us out, and we get enough in the fourth quarter to come away with a win. We can only go on so long saying “we’ll take the win,” at some point we need to get our act together a bit better.

We do look a bit healthier for next week, and we will once again try to get things back on track. This does not, right now, look anything at all like a championship team.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:02 PM   #518
Dutch
"Dutch"

I'm sort of surprised that you think his ratings dropped so drastically. It looks like a pretty good transition. From 23/56 to 22/54 and still pretty decent ratings (so it seems).

Are you still letting him rot? I kind of wish you'd give the kid a shot.

Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 01:52 PM   #519
Subby
lolzcat

I am guessing quik is seeing clues here that Pint (who had 100+ potential at PRT as a LB) probably won't sniff higher than 50-60 in PRT as a DE...
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com

Last edited by Subby : 01-17-2007 at 01:52 PM.
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 02:19 PM   #520
Dutch
"Dutch"

And I wouldn't want anybody to pass on trade secrets, but it's decisions like this that make me realize that there is much that I am not seeing/reading.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:54 PM   #521
QuikSand
lolzcat

If Pint were a 3rd round pick, and the contract he was seeking had something like $600K in bonus... sure, those are "pretty decent" ratings, and I wouldn't mind adding him to the roster as a reservem and hopefully see if he gets a shade better.

But he's a 1st round pick. And he wants a bonus of something nrth of $3 million. There;'s nothing to suggest that he is going to "boom" and be any better than he appears so far... so I'd be guaranteeing $3 million (of a $10m contract) to a player who, if he reaches his apparent potential, is probably good enough to be a backup defensive end. The math just doesn't work.

I don't think this is a tough decision, really. It's kinda unfortunate that I feel pretty confident I can plot out his potential career already, before even seeing one trainijng camp -- but that's a vestige of FOF 2004, and we're in our last season in that game. But for now, I have to do what's best - no use throwing good money after a bad draft pick, and this one just didn't work out.

I also don't think there's anything terribly secret about this at all. It may not be realistic to do this, but it's pretty clearly the right thing to do. If I want a guy to come play DE who has a 40 or 50 rating in pass rush technique, I can just go out and sign a mediocre free agent - no need to overinvest in someone who hopes to someday be such a guy with a top draft pick and a fat bonus.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:59 PM   #522
Dutch
"Dutch"

You know, I think the biggest thing I didn't see correctly that you pointed out is the finances (and it's relationship to your game). In SP, an expensive 4-season test can be worth it, whereas every decision we make in MP can have ripple effects for years in real-time.

Last edited by Dutch : 01-19-2007 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:06 PM   #523
dj_morton
H.S. Freshman Team

I just read all of your posts, took about a week of reading! I just bought the game and I'm very unfamiliar with it. I'm a longtime OOTP (baseball) manager, but this is my 1st football text game. I've learned quite a bit off your thread! Better then any OOTP dynasty I've read!
dj_morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 11:30 PM   #524
QuikSand
lolzcat

Glad you have enjoyed it, dj. Welcome to the boards!
Old 01-22-2007, 12:51 PM   #525
QuikSand
lolzcat

Week 6: Chesapeake (4-1) at Ayr (1-4)

If we have our act together here, we ought to be back on track, even on the road. We’re hoping to see a bit more from the passing game this week basically.

Code:
#Box Score: Chesapeake at Ayr !Ayr, MI. Week 6, 2013 Attendance: 45,900 (68,700). Weather: 58 degrees, fair. *1Q: 09:46 CHE - Craps Copley 3 run. *1Q: 09:46 CHE - David Everhart extra point. $1Q: 04:35 AYR - Christopher Friday 30 field goal. *2Q: 13:55 CHE - Burt Pearson 22 pass from Brent Sedor. *2Q: 13:55 CHE - David Everhart extra point. *2Q: 07:16 CHE - Kent Fields 8 pass from Brent Sedor. *2Q: 07:16 CHE - David Everhart extra point. $2Q: 00:21 AYR - Christopher Friday 40 field goal. $3Q: 14:41 AYR - Marty Allen 90 pass from Ben Krcik. $3Q: 14:41 AYR - Christopher Friday extra point. *3Q: 08:19 CHE - Burt Pearson 2 pass from Brent Sedor. *3Q: 08:19 CHE - David Everhart extra point. *4Q: 08:38 CHE - Burt Pearson 23 pass from Brent Sedor. *4Q: 08:38 CHE - David Everhart extra point. $4Q: 04:25 AYR - Christopher Friday 27 field goal. !Game MVP: CHE 16 Brent Sedor *Chesapeake 7 14 7 7 - 35 $Ayr 3 3 7 3 - 16 !Team Statistics CHE AYR First Downs 32 17 Total Rushes 36 21 Rushing Yards 187 79 Yards Per Carry 5.1 3.7 Pass Attempts 35 31 Completions 24 18 Passing Yards 360 322 Yards Per Attempt 10.2 10.3 Sacked 1 2 Yards Lost 5 14 Interceptions 0 1 Fumbles/Lost 0/0 0/0 Total Plays 72 54 Total Yards 542 387 Yards Per Play 7.5 7.1 3rd Down Plays 7/10 5/12 Avg. YTG on 3rd 8.6 6.2 4th Down Plays 0/0 0/0 Penalties 13 6 Penalty Yards 95 35 Avg. Drive Start OWN 28 OWN 19 Time Of Possession 35:51 24:09 *Chesapeake Individual Statistics !Rushing Att Yards Avg Long TD *45 Copley 21 100 4.7 18 1 *16 Sedor 10 65 6.5 11 0 *47 Wunderlich 4 20 5.0 11 0 *40 Lombardo 1 2 2.0 2 0 !Passing Att Comp Yards Yd/Att Long TD Int Sckd *16 Sedor 35 24 360 10.2 35 4 0 1 !Receiving Catch Yards Avg YAC Long TD *8 Pearson 9 126 14.0 7 23 3 *13 Cooper 5 91 18.2 18 24 0 *18 Ellis 4 49 12.2 1 16 0 *80 Torpey 2 23 11.5 4 15 0 *86 Fields 2 43 21.5 18 35 1 *47 Wunderlich 1 13 13.0 3 13 0 *87 Hastings 1 15 15.0 2 15 0 !Punt Returns Att Yards Avg TD *34 Tellez 1 6 6.0 0 *18 Ellis 1 14 14.0 0 !Kick Returns Att Yards Avg TD *27 Kuehler 2 42 21.0 0 *80 Torpey 1 24 24.0 0 !Punting Punts Yards Avg Long In20 *9 Alfonso 3 118 39.3 50 1 !Kicking FG FGA Long PAT Att *19 Everhart 0 0 0 5 5 !Defense Tackle Assist Sack Int IntYds IntTD *29 Schwantz 7 2 0.0 0 0 0 *58 Galvan 5 0 1.0 0 0 0 *92 Ewart 5 2 0.0 0 0 0 *90 Meadows 4 0 1.0 0 0 0 *59 McKenzie 4 2 0.0 0 0 0 *27 Kuehler 4 1 0.0 1 14 0 *96 Lents 4 0 0.0 0 0 0 *34 Tellez 2 3 0.0 0 0 0 *21 McCartney 2 2 0.0 0 0 0 *40 Lombardo 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 *31 Padgett 1 1 0.0 0 0 0 *70 Armagost 1 1 0.0 0 0 0 *80 Torpey 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 *57 Dennis 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 *97 Gibbons 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 *99 White 0 3 0.0 0 0 0 !Miscellaneous Fumb FForc Recov MiscTD KeyRBlk SckAlwd *73 Kolodzik 0 0 0 0 2 1 *79 Tilton 0 0 0 0 3 0 *60 Brandon 0 0 0 0 3 0 *75 Burns 0 0 0 0 2 0 *47 Wunderlich 0 0 0 0 1 0 *42 Emerson 0 0 0 0 1 0 *54 Turnbull 0 0 0 0 1 0 *13 Cooper 0 0 0 0 1 0

(Please forgive the formatting – the in-game files are just messed up at FOFL, so this was pulled from the website)

Good, solid win for the C-Dogs, and a nice showing from Burt Pearson with three scores on the day. We might be back to our preferred situation, clicking on both sides of the ball.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:03 PM   #526
QuikSand
lolzcat

Week 7: Calverton (5-1) at Chesapeake (5-1)

This is one of a couple pretty big games for the conference standings this week, as the winner will remain among those in the driver’s seat for the conference top slots. Since we already have a loss to one of the teams who figures to be in the mix, I’d rather not cede head-top-head to yet another potential tiebreaker foe down the line.

We expect the Caledonians to toss the ball around a bit, incidentally.

Code:
Box Score: Calverton at Chesapeake Chesapeake, PA. Week 7, 2013 Attendance: 45,100 (58,000). Weather: 45 degrees, fair. 1Q: 10:16 CHE - David Everhart 34 field goal. 1Q: 04:58 CAL - Gilbert Cicci 23 pass from Ronnie Parrillo. 1Q: 04:58 CAL - Casey Newman extra point. 1Q: 00:11 CHE - Robert Cooper 7 pass from Brent Sedor. 1Q: 00:11 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 2Q: 07:00 CHE - David Everhart 45 field goal. 2Q: 04:52 CHE - Kent Fields 64 pass from Brent Sedor. 2Q: 04:52 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 2Q: 01:11 CAL - Gilbert Cicci 20 pass from Ronnie Parrillo. 2Q: 01:11 CAL - Casey Newman extra point. 2Q: 00:14 CHE - David Everhart 39 field goal. 3Q: 12:50 CHE - Craps Copley 12 pass from Brent Sedor. 3Q: 12:50 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 3Q: 09:23 CHE - Herman Padgett 20 blocked punt return. 3Q: 09:23 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 3Q: 06:46 CHE - David Everhart 31 field goal. 3Q: 02:47 CAL - D.J. Everett 16 pass from Ronnie Parrillo. 3Q: 02:47 CAL - Casey Newman extra point. 4Q: 13:32 CHE - David Everhart 34 field goal. 4Q: 04:53 CHE - Bill Wunderlich 5 run. 4Q: 04:53 CHE - David Everhart extra point. Game MVP: CHE 16 Brent Sedor Calverton 7 7 7 0 - 21 Chesapeake 10 13 17 10 - 50 Team Statistics CAL CHE First Downs 23 20 Total Rushes 19 27 Rushing Yards 93 100 Yards Per Carry 4.8 3.7 Pass Attempts 49 32 Completions 23 20 Passing Yards 297 321 Yards Per Attempt 6.0 10.0 Sacked 1 1 Yards Lost 6 3 Interceptions 1 0 Fumbles/Lost 2/0 0/0 Total Plays 69 60 Total Yards 384 418 Yards Per Play 5.5 6.9 3rd Down Plays 7/14 7/13 Avg. YTG on 3rd 8.1 6.5 4th Down Plays 0/0 0/0 Penalties 9 11 Penalty Yards 68 80 Avg. Drive Start OWN 17 OWN 44 Time Of Possession 30:34 29:26 Chesapeake Individual Statistics Rushing Att Yards Avg Long TD 45 Copley 13 35 2.6 9 0 47 Wunderlich 7 23 3.2 7 1 16 Sedor 6 34 5.6 8 0 42 Emerson 1 8 8.0 8 0 Passing Att Comp Yards Yd/Att Long TD Int Sckd 16 Sedor 32 20 321 10.0 64 3 0 1 Receiving Catch Yards Avg YAC Long TD 13 Cooper 6 60 10.0 8 18 1 8 Pearson 4 51 12.7 9 17 0 86 Fields 4 97 24.2 54 64 1 45 Copley 2 24 12.0 2 12 1 80 Torpey 2 47 23.5 6 24 0 18 Ellis 1 24 24.0 6 24 0 83 Leff 1 18 18.0 5 18 0 Punt Returns Att Yards Avg TD 18 Ellis 3 17 5.6 0 34 Tellez 1 -3 -3.0 0 Kick Returns Att Yards Avg TD 27 Kuehler 2 79 39.5 0 18 Ellis 1 37 37.0 0 Punting Punts Yards Avg Long In20 9 Alfonso 2 74 37.0 40 1 Kicking FG FGA Long PAT Att 19 Everhart 5 5 45 5 5 Defense Tackle Assist Sack Int IntYds IntTD 92 Ewart 9 3 0.0 0 0 0 31 Padgett 6 1 0.0 0 0 0 27 Kuehler 3 2 0.0 1 28 0 97 Gibbons 3 0 0.0 0 0 0 99 White 3 0 0.0 0 0 0 90 Meadows 2 0 0.5 0 0 0 59 McKenzie 2 3 0.0 0 0 0 28 Daniels 2 1 0.0 0 0 0 40 Lombardo 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 32 Webb 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 34 Tellez 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 29 Schwantz 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 96 Lents 1 4 0.0 0 0 0 80 Torpey 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 87 Hastings 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 57 Dennis 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 56 Kuykendall 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 60 Brandon 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 21 McCartney 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 23 Vesser 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 58 Galvan 0 1 0.5 0 0 0 Miscellaneous Fumb FForc Recov MiscTD KeyRBlk SckAlwd 60 Brandon 0 0 0 0 3 0 54 Turnbull 0 0 0 0 1 1 73 Kolodzik 0 0 0 0 2 0 40 Lombardo 0 1 0 0 0 0 56 Kuykendall 0 1 0 0 0 0 31 Padgett 0 0 0 1 0 0

So, we hang 50 and win comfortably, even without really dominating the stats all day long. But a very efficient day for Sedor, as the offense seems to have shaken off its lull from a few weeks ago.

In a game without a ton of turnovers (that might tend to skew things a lot), looking at that “starting field position” figure is very revealing. This game was mostly played on their side of the field, which certainly helps us stay in control. Good win.

We have lost “Mr. Clutch, “ safety Jeff McCartney, for several weeks to a nasty muscle problem. He ought to be fine for the postseason, which is what matters, but I’m not exactly sure who ought to get the work at FS for the weeks ahead. It might turn out to be the fairly untested C.J. Daniels, who might do okay in that slot for a bit, and would benefit from the playing time.

As for the conference standings, here’s the big picture there:

Code:
NC North W L T Pct PF PA Conf Div Calverton 4 2 0 .667 160 165 3-2 2-0 Seal Beach 3 4 0 .429 172 179 2-4 1-1 Ayr 1 5 0 .167 117 155 0-5 0-2 Norwich 1 6 0 .143 94 193 1-5 1-1 NC South W L T Pct PF PA Conf Div Washington 5 1 0 .833 169 139 5-0 2-0 Hell Creek 5 2 0 .714 155 94 4-2 0-2 Madison 4 2 0 .667 119 137 3-2 1-0 State College 4 2 0 .667 101 92 4-1 0-1 NC East W L T Pct PF PA Conf Div Chesapeake 6 1 0 .857 212 100 5-1 2-0 Portland 5 1 0 .833 161 93 4-1 1-1 Dodge City 4 3 0 .571 210 159 4-2 1-1 South Carolina 3 3 0 .500 156 174 3-2 0-2 NC West W L T Pct PF PA Conf Div Mercury 5 2 0 .714 177 102 4-2 2-0 Myrtle Beach 2 4 0 .333 102 133 1-4 1-1 Davis 1 6 0 .143 112 172 1-5 1-1 Wheeling 0 7 0 .000 111 182 0-6 0-2

So, we now have to include Washington in our thinking about playoff seeding – their whole plan was to follow one step behind Chesapeake in their rebuilding of sorts, and it looks like their team is coming together right on schedule. Mercury looks like it might be able to sail to a strong record with a weak division (and five games against said rivals still ahead), so they are in the mix, too. Add in Hell Creek (HTH on us already) and Portland who get another chance against us later, and the pack really hasn’t thinned as much as we might have liked. In a few weeks, maybe we’ll have a clearer sense.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:22 PM   #527
Subby
lolzcat

Glad to finally be in the mix. We followed the CHE blueprint with our QB (traded value to move up to 1.1 to take him four seasons ago) and have tried to install a balanced offense a la CHE. We don't have the same type of defense, but I think with the offense we have, we can at least hang with any team.

Plus we beat Hell Creek this week (who beat CHE earlier). We ended an 18 game losing streak to them (no exaggeration).
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:46 PM   #528
dj_morton
H.S. Freshman Team

Wow, congrats on snapping the 18 game skid!
Old 01-23-2007, 06:35 AM   #529
Dutch
"Dutch"

Wait, Subby has a MP team that lost 18 games in a row??
Old 01-23-2007, 07:33 AM   #530
QuikSand
lolzcat

We have to wait to answer that question? Really?

Quote:
18 game losing streak to them

(emphasis added for clarity)
Old 01-23-2007, 08:43 AM   #531
Dutch
"Dutch"

Yeah, yeah. I got it now.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:51 PM   #532
QuikSand
lolzcat

Week 9: Chesapeake (6-1) at South Carolina (4-3)

Our division is definitely pretty tough, and SC’s decision to start trying to win games isn’t helping things. We still outgun them overall, but they are good enough to watch out for when we’re at their place. Nothing loopy in the gameplan this week.

Code:
Box Score: Chesapeake at South Carolina South Carolina, WA. Week 9, 2013 Attendance: 62,600 (80,100). Weather: 40 degrees, fair. 1Q: 11:29 CHE - David Everhart 25 field goal. 1Q: 08:32 SCA - Michael Long 5 pass from Dixon Zhao. 1Q: 08:32 SCA - Colin Clayton extra point. 1Q: 07:09 CHE - George Ellis 19 pass from Brent Sedor. 1Q: 07:09 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 1Q: 02:52 SCA - Michael Long 14 pass from Dixon Zhao. 1Q: 02:52 SCA - Colin Clayton extra point. 2Q: 09:59 CHE - George Ellis 16 pass from Brent Sedor. 2Q: 09:59 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 2Q: 01:52 CHE - George Ellis 2 pass from Brent Sedor. 2Q: 01:52 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 2Q: 00:15 SCA - Colin Clayton 27 field goal. 3Q: 10:54 CHE - Craps Copley 4 run. 3Q: 10:54 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 4Q: 02:07 CHE - David Everhart 34 field goal. 4Q: 01:03 SCA - Brent Segalas 40 pass from Dixon Zhao. 4Q: 01:03 SCA - Colin Clayton extra point. Game MVP: CHE 16 Brent Sedor Chesapeake 10 14 7 3 - 34 South Carolina 14 3 0 7 - 24 Team Statistics CHE SCA First Downs 28 22 Total Rushes 33 28 Rushing Yards 194 122 Yards Per Carry 5.8 4.3 Pass Attempts 40 32 Completions 21 17 Passing Yards 275 308 Yards Per Attempt 6.8 9.6 Sacked 1 2 Yards Lost 5 15 Interceptions 1 2 Fumbles/Lost 0/0 0/0 Total Plays 74 62 Total Yards 464 415 Yards Per Play 6.2 6.6 3rd Down Plays 6/12 4/12 Avg. YTG on 3rd 8.3 7.1 4th Down Plays 0/0 0/0 Penalties 6 4 Penalty Yards 50 34 Avg. Drive Start OWN 34 OWN 26 Time Of Possession 33:22 26:38 Chesapeake Individual Statistics Rushing Att Yards Avg Long TD 45 Copley 20 129 6.4 50 1 16 Sedor 8 42 5.2 12 0 47 Wunderlich 5 23 4.6 14 0 Passing Att Comp Yards Yd/Att Long TD Int Sckd 16 Sedor 40 21 275 6.8 24 3 1 1 Receiving Catch Yards Avg YAC Long TD 18 Ellis 7 87 12.4 14 19 3 45 Copley 4 41 10.2 9 19 0 8 Pearson 4 46 11.5 3 15 0 13 Cooper 3 43 14.3 10 19 0 86 Fields 2 41 20.5 5 24 0 80 Torpey 1 17 17.0 0 17 0 Punt Returns Att Yards Avg TD 34 Tellez 1 9 9.0 0 Kick Returns Att Yards Avg TD 27 Kuehler 4 119 29.7 0 Punting Punts Yards Avg Long In20 9 Alfonso 3 124 41.3 46 3 Kicking FG FGA Long PAT Att 19 Everhart 2 3 34 4 4 Defense Tackle Assist Sack Int IntYds IntTD 27 Kuehler 7 1 0.0 0 0 0 28 Daniels 6 1 0.0 1 1 0 97 Gibbons 6 1 0.0 0 0 0 96 Lents 4 1 0.0 0 0 0 29 Schwantz 3 1 0.0 1 10 0 59 McKenzie 3 1 0.0 0 0 0 92 Ewart 3 1 0.0 0 0 0 99 White 2 1 1.0 0 0 0 90 Meadows 2 1 1.0 0 0 0 31 Padgett 2 1 0.0 0 0 0 70 Armagost 2 1 0.0 0 0 0 32 Webb 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 34 Tellez 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 52 McDowell 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 23 Vesser 1 1 0.0 0 0 0 45 Copley 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 58 Galvan 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 57 Dennis 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 73 Kolodzik 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 Miscellaneous Fumb FForc Recov MiscTD KeyRBlk SckAlwd 79 Tilton 0 0 0 0 5 0 66 Schmit 0 0 0 0 4 0 60 Brandon 0 0 0 0 2 0 42 Emerson 0 0 0 0 0 1 54 Turnbull 0 0 0 0 1 0 13 Cooper 0 0 0 0 1 0

So, we get a solid win, a pretty good showing from the offense all around. I’m not wild that our defense gave up 24 points here, but we’ll take the win.

And, overall, we are now back in the driver’s seat in the division and conference – Portland is tied with us with a 7-1 record, but we have them head to head for now, and we would be the division winner and #1 seed if things ended right now. Portland would be the hard luck #5 seed on the road.

More work to be done, but we’re on track for another solid season, it appears. I’ll try to do some season-so-far look a bit later, or this weekend.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:19 PM   #533
QuikSand
lolzcat

Halfway Point Check-up

After 8 games in the tank, we’re at a solid 7-1, with one loss on the road at a very solid Hell Creek team. We’re in line for a playoff berth, and a bye week slot is ours to lose as we stand. So, let’s look a bit under the hood and see what’s working, and what isn’t…

Code:
Front Office Football 2004 2013 Summary for Chesapeake Chili Dogs Record: 7-1 Winning Pct.: .875 Chesapeake Chili Dogs Team Rank Rushes 239 19 Rushing Yards 1079 13 (T) Yards Per Carry 4.51 8 Pass Attempts 243 23 Completions 152 19 Passing Yards 2210 9 Yards Per Attempt 9.09 1 3rd Down Conversions 45.4 15 Points Per Game 30.7 1 Turnovers 7 4 (T) Turnover Margin +5 7 Opponents Team Rank Rushes 219 7 Rushing Yards 878 6 (T) Yards Per Carry 4.00 9 Pass Attempts 257 9 Completions 152 12 Passing Yards 1981 19 Yards Per Attempt 7.70 27 3rd Down Conversions 42.5 9 (T) Points Per Game 15.5 3 Turnovers 12 10 (T) Week Team Versus Oppnt 1 45 SCA 17 2 45 NOR 6 3 10 HLC 17 4 10 NRW 9 5 17 at POR 14 6 35 at AYR 16 7 50 CAL 21 9 34 at SCA 24 10 at SLB 11 DGC 12 KEE 13 at DVS 14 at FLR 15 at DGC 16 at FRE 17 POR Passing Pos Att Comp Yards Y/Att TD Int 16 Sedor QB 239 148 2095 8.76 17 3 **Team --- 243 152 2210 9.09 18 3 Rushing Pos Att Yards Y/Att TD 45 Copley RB 143 657 4.59 5 16 Sedor QB 40 242 6.05 1 40 Lombardo RB 23 79 3.43 1 47 Wunderlich FB 16 66 4.12 1 **Team --- 239 1079 4.51 9 Receiving Pos Targ Catch Yards Y/Ctc YAC TD 13 Cooper TE 45 31 438 14.1 105 3 45 Copley RB 35 23 259 11.2 44 2 86 Fields WR 31 22 464 21.0 170 4 8 Pearson WR 37 21 282 13.4 30 3 18 Ellis WR 34 19 264 13.8 36 4 87 Hastings WR 18 12 195 16.2 23 0 80 Torpey WR 22 11 188 17.0 20 0 **Team --- 243 152 2210 14.5 454 18 Defense Pos Tack Asst Sack Hurr Ints Defn 59 McKenzie ILB 45 17 0.0 1 0 1 92 Ewart OLB 43 18 0.0 0 0 12 27 Kuehler CB 34 16 0.0 0 3 10 96 Lents DT 32 9 0.5 6 0 0 97 Gibbons ILB 31 6 0.0 0 0 0 31 Padgett CB 30 10 0.0 0 0 5 29 Schwantz S 26 12 0.0 0 1 8 21 McCartney S 22 11 0.0 0 1 3 99 White DE 18 10 1.0 0 0 0 93 Lazaro DE 14 13 2.0 3 0 0 34 Tellez CB 11 6 0.0 0 1 4 23 Vesser S 11 5 0.0 0 0 2 90 Meadows DE 11 2 2.5 4 0 0 28 Daniels CB 11 5 0.0 0 1 3 58 Galvan OLB 10 1 2.0 5 0 0 57 Dennis ILB 8 0 0.0 0 0 0 32 Webb CB 8 0 0.0 0 0 0 **Team --- 407 146 8.0 22 7 48

So, in the yards-per-play metrics, which I tend to watch pretty carefully, we are in the top ten in three of the four areas, with our passing defense the one weak spot. Our running game is again being buoyed by numbers from QB Sedor, but Copley’s 4.59 YPC is perfectly fine. Our two starting guards, Gus Schmit and Marvin Brandon are both north of 50% in key run blocks this season, and nobody on the line is below 30% - so that helps to explain the running success. When Sedor does throw, we’re clicking for 9 yards an attempt, best in the league.

On defense, I have to think that our lack of a serious pass rush is the underlying problem. We have tallied only 8 sacks in 8 games, near the bottom of the league in that regard, and our 7.7 yards per attempt conceded has set up some high scoring affairs. In any event, we aren’t yielding a crazy point total, suggesting that some of what we’re giving up in the passing game doesn’t amount to that much, after all. I like our personnel in the secondary, and when S Jeff McCartney gets back into the lineup for our stretch run, we’ll be all the better.

A high octane offense that puts pressure on most every team we play covers for a lot of relative weaknesses, but statistically speaking, there’s nothing here to fret over. In the overall, we are #1 in scoring, and #3 in scoring defense. That’s a good omen for the balance of the season.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:53 PM   #534
dj_morton
H.S. Freshman Team

do you pretty much use the same gameplan every week or do you mix it up?
Old 01-30-2007, 07:32 AM   #535
QuikSand
lolzcat

Week 10: Chesapeake (7-1) at Seal Beach (4-4)

I ratcheted up the passing percentages a bit this week, thinking we might have a good shot to open things up on the Seal Beach defense. We don’t run a crazy lopsided offense, but we do take our shots.

Anyway… on the field, here’s the outcome:

Code:
Box Score: Chesapeake at Seal Beach Seal Beach, CA. Week 10, 2013 Attendance: 64,000 (71,000). Weather: 56 degrees, rain. 1Q: 04:49 CHE - Brent Sedor 10 run. 1Q: 04:49 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 2Q: 02:36 CHE - Robert Cooper 4 pass from Brent Sedor. 2Q: 02:36 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 3Q: 04:30 SLB - Nick Riley 27 field goal. 4Q: 11:27 CHE - David Everhart 33 field goal. Game MVP: CHE 16 Brent Sedor Chesapeake 7 7 0 3 - 17 Seal Beach 0 0 3 0 - 3 Team Statistics CHE SLB First Downs 31 11 Total Rushes 30 19 Rushing Yards 152 105 Yards Per Carry 5.0 5.5 Pass Attempts 38 28 Completions 21 14 Passing Yards 284 156 Yards Per Attempt 7.4 5.5 Sacked 6 2 Yards Lost 47 16 Interceptions 1 0 Fumbles/Lost 0/0 0/0 Total Plays 74 49 Total Yards 389 245 Yards Per Play 5.2 5.0 3rd Down Plays 3/9 5/13 Avg. YTG on 3rd 11.1 8.6 4th Down Plays 0/0 0/1 Penalties 6 9 Penalty Yards 46 65 Avg. Drive Start OWN 30 OWN 24 Time Of Possession 37:31 22:29 Chesapeake Individual Statistics Rushing Att Yards Avg Long TD 16 Sedor 14 96 6.8 11 1 45 Copley 13 47 3.6 18 0 47 Wunderlich 3 9 3.0 5 0 Passing Att Comp Yards Yd/Att Long TD Int Sckd 16 Sedor 38 21 284 7.4 34 1 1 6 Receiving Catch Yards Avg YAC Long TD 13 Cooper 5 52 10.4 8 14 1 45 Copley 3 37 12.3 6 19 0 18 Ellis 3 52 17.3 5 23 0 8 Pearson 3 36 12.0 0 17 0 86 Fields 3 59 19.6 2 34 0 47 Wunderlich 2 20 10.0 0 13 0 80 Torpey 2 28 14.0 0 17 0 Punt Returns Att Yards Avg TD 18 Ellis 3 18 6.0 0 Kick Returns Att Yards Avg TD 80 Torpey 1 13 13.0 0 27 Kuehler 1 39 39.0 0 Punting Punts Yards Avg Long In20 9 Alfonso 4 162 40.5 47 2 Kicking FG FGA Long PAT Att 19 Everhart 1 1 33 2 2 Defense Tackle Assist Sack Int IntYds IntTD 59 McKenzie 8 1 0.0 0 0 0 92 Ewart 5 3 0.0 0 0 0 31 Padgett 5 0 0.0 0 0 0 90 Meadows 3 1 1.5 0 0 0 97 Gibbons 3 1 0.0 0 0 0 96 Lents 3 1 0.0 0 0 0 28 Daniels 3 0 0.0 0 0 0 70 Armagost 2 1 0.5 0 0 0 23 Vesser 2 1 0.0 0 0 0 29 Schwantz 1 1 0.0 0 0 0 80 Torpey 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 57 Dennis 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 27 Kuehler 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 13 Cooper 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 34 Tellez 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 95 Watkins 0 1 0.0 0 0 0 99 White 0 1 0.0 0 0 0 Miscellaneous Fumb FForc Recov MiscTD KeyRBlk SckAlwd 60 Brandon 0 0 0 0 3 1 54 Turnbull 0 0 0 0 1 2 73 Kolodzik 0 0 0 0 0 3 79 Tilton 0 0 0 0 1 0 66 Schmit 0 0 0 0 1 0

So, we end up running the ball an awful lot, despite my intentions. Sedor gets 14 carries, though – so I suppose many of those eventual runs were called as pass plays. Hard to know, but this wasn’t the sort of box score I thought I’d see for this week.

The defense played a really solid contain game, though, holding them to 3 points without even garnering a single turnover. That is a great effort, and basically made any production from our offense enough to claim control of the game. A fairly sputtering offensive showing of 14 points by halftime turned out to be put us comfortably in control. Great game for the D.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:36 AM   #536
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_morton View Post
do you pretty much use the same gameplan every week or do you mix it up?

Well, with this team right now, I pretty much have the luxury of having a team that does most everything pretty well. We are a solid inside running team (mostly due to having three quality blockers in our interior line) and we have an excellent passing offense centered by a monster QB and complemented with a deep and strong receiving corps. So, this team can basically just rely on the general principle of "we have better players than you do" and win most of the time.

When this team was developing (read: not nearly as good as it is now) I did a lot more week-to-week gameplanning, trying to go after my opponent's relative weaknesses. I do less of that now, but I do make changes sometimes.

Defensively, I will tweak things in the event of a profound style of an opponent (like all-pass Calverton a few weeks ago, or the old Dodge City all-run teams), but I'm usually comfiortable playing our base defense, with pretty good players, and just daring teams to beat us straight up.

Last edited by QuikSand : 01-30-2007 at 07:36 AM.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:15 PM   #537
dj_morton
H.S. Freshman Team

Cool thanks for the response
Old 02-01-2007, 08:36 AM   #538
QuikSand
lolzcat

Week 11: Dodge City (4-4) at Chesapeake (8-1)

Pretty big game – Dodge City was a near-nemesis last year for us, as they played us very close in all three matchups, including the conference championship game. This year they have suffered a few tough breaks, but are still a serious rival. They used to be a team we could safely gameplan expecting a lot of running – not so much any longer.

Code:
Box Score: Dodge City at Chesapeake Chesapeake, PA. Week 11, 2013 Attendance: 45,100 (58,000). Weather: 49 degrees, fair. 1Q: 11:36 CHE - Craps Copley 11 run. 1Q: 11:36 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 1Q: 05:17 DGC - Herman Justice 42 field goal. 2Q: 08:21 DGC - Billy Dunlap 2 pass from Bill Sampson. 2Q: 08:21 DGC - Herman Justice extra point. 2Q: 01:27 DGC - Rickey Jacob 7 run. 2Q: 01:27 DGC - Herman Justice extra point. 2Q: 00:12 CHE - David Everhart 20 field goal. 3Q: 11:45 CHE - George Ellis 10 pass from Brent Sedor. 3Q: 11:45 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 3Q: 08:05 DGC - Rickey Jacob 10 run. 3Q: 08:05 DGC - Herman Justice extra point. 3Q: 03:13 CHE - Craps Copley 16 run. 3Q: 03:13 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 4Q: 07:16 CHE - David Everhart 21 field goal. 4Q: 03:35 DGC - Herman Justice 34 field goal. 4Q: 00:00 CHE - David Everhart 39 field goal. Game MVP: CHE 16 Brent Sedor Dodge City 3 14 7 3 - 27 Chesapeake 7 3 14 6 - 30 Team Statistics DGC CHE First Downs 24 23 Total Rushes 33 26 Rushing Yards 147 185 Yards Per Carry 4.4 7.1 Pass Attempts 27 25 Completions 19 18 Passing Yards 257 256 Yards Per Attempt 9.5 10.2 Sacked 1 0 Yards Lost 4 0 Interceptions 1 0 Fumbles/Lost 2/1 1/1 Total Plays 61 51 Total Yards 400 441 Yards Per Play 6.5 8.6 3rd Down Plays 3/8 5/9 Avg. YTG on 3rd 6.1 6.7 4th Down Plays 1/1 0/0 Penalties 6 9 Penalty Yards 29 70 Avg. Drive Start OWN 24 OWN 39 Time Of Possession 33:05 26:55 Chesapeake Individual Statistics Rushing Att Yards Avg Long TD 45 Copley 12 88 7.3 18 2 47 Wunderlich 6 15 2.5 5 0 16 Sedor 6 54 9.0 13 0 42 Emerson 2 28 14.0 28 0 Passing Att Comp Yards Yd/Att Long TD Int Sckd 16 Sedor 25 18 256 10.2 41 1 0 0 Receiving Catch Yards Avg YAC Long TD 8 Pearson 4 63 15.7 14 21 0 80 Torpey 3 40 13.3 7 17 0 13 Cooper 3 30 10.0 5 12 0 18 Ellis 3 59 19.6 8 36 1 45 Copley 2 49 24.5 11 41 0 47 Wunderlich 2 12 6.0 5 9 0 42 Emerson 1 3 3.0 1 3 0 Punt Returns Att Yards Avg TD Kick Returns Att Yards Avg TD 27 Kuehler 4 116 29.0 0 18 Ellis 2 48 24.0 0 Punting Punts Yards Avg Long In20 9 Alfonso 3 122 40.6 47 1 Kicking FG FGA Long PAT Att 19 Everhart 3 3 39 3 3 Defense Tackle Assist Sack Int IntYds IntTD 59 McKenzie 7 3 0.0 0 0 0 92 Ewart 6 3 0.0 0 0 0 97 Gibbons 6 1 0.0 0 0 0 96 Lents 4 2 0.5 0 0 0 93 Lazaro 4 1 0.5 0 0 0 58 Galvan 4 2 0.0 0 0 0 29 Schwantz 3 1 0.0 0 0 0 28 Daniels 3 1 0.0 0 0 0 27 Kuehler 2 2 0.0 1 11 0 31 Padgett 2 2 0.0 0 0 0 34 Tellez 2 2 0.0 0 0 0 99 White 2 1 0.0 0 0 0 80 Torpey 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 95 Watkins 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 70 Armagost 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 45 Copley 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 40 Lombardo 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 52 McDowell 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 Miscellaneous Fumb FForc Recov MiscTD KeyRBlk SckAlwd 54 Turnbull 0 0 0 0 3 0 60 Brandon 0 0 0 0 3 0 45 Copley 0 1 1 0 0 0 79 Tilton 0 0 0 0 2 0 27 Kuehler 0 1 0 0 0 0 66 Schmit 0 0 0 0 1 0 13 Cooper 0 0 0 0 1 0 8 Pearson 1 0 0 0 0 0

Yet another tough game – we enter the fourth quarter knotted up at 24-24 (after we had to rally to get to that point) and then we win the late FG battle 2-1 to take a 3-point win. Pretty standard, actually – they always play us very tough.

With the win, we get to 9-1, but can’t pull away from Portland, who is right even with us (though by supplying their only loss, we hold the head-to-head advantage on them). The season finale is against them at our place, and it’s looking increasingly likely that that game will determine who gets a bye week and who hits the road for the wild card route.

Right now, our offense is clicking pretty well. We are #2 in the league in yards per carry, #1 in the league in yards per pass attempt, and have scored more points than anyone. And it is looking just like last year, where we will be counting on our offense to carry a decent, but not statistically strong defense in many weeks.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:29 PM   #539
QuikSand
lolzcat

Week 13: Keene (8-2) at Chesapeake (9-1)

This week, there are three separate games featuring cross-conference matchups of each side’s best records. If nothing else, we have a chance to settle things down a bit in the playoff seeding races, as they are shaping up. We play host to 8-2 Keene, while our division/conference rivals from Portland are on the road to play at Keene’s division/conference rival, the 8-2 French Ticklers.

Code:
Box Score: Keene at Chesapeake Chesapeake, PA. Week 12, 2013 Attendance: 45,100 (58,000). Weather: 57 degrees, fair. 1Q: 06:47 CHE - David Everhart 44 field goal. 1Q: 02:58 CHE - Craps Copley 1 pass from Brent Sedor. 1Q: 02:58 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 2Q: 10:11 CHE - Robert Cooper 4 pass from Brent Sedor. 2Q: 10:11 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 3Q: 06:54 CHE - Bill Wunderlich 1 pass from Brent Sedor. 3Q: 06:54 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 3Q: 01:18 CHE - Robert Cooper 9 pass from Brent Sedor. 3Q: 01:18 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 4Q: 13:01 KEE - Chuck Conley 38 run. 4Q: 13:01 KEE - Jessie Talbott run for conversion failed. 4Q: 08:47 CHE - Craps Copley 3 run. 4Q: 08:47 CHE - David Everhart extra point. Game MVP: CHE 16 Brent Sedor Keene 0 0 0 6 - 6 Chesapeake 10 7 14 7 - 38 Team Statistics KEE CHE First Downs 12 28 Total Rushes 29 31 Rushing Yards 133 197 Yards Per Carry 4.5 6.3 Pass Attempts 20 33 Completions 13 24 Passing Yards 96 270 Yards Per Attempt 4.8 8.1 Sacked 0 0 Yards Lost 0 0 Interceptions 1 0 Fumbles/Lost 0/0 1/1 Total Plays 49 64 Total Yards 229 467 Yards Per Play 4.6 7.2 3rd Down Plays 3/12 7/11 Avg. YTG on 3rd 6.5 4.8 4th Down Plays 0/0 0/0 Penalties 2 3 Penalty Yards 20 20 Avg. Drive Start OWN 20 OWN 28 Time Of Possession 25:43 34:17 Chesapeake Individual Statistics Rushing Att Yards Avg Long TD 45 Copley 15 127 8.4 63 1 47 Wunderlich 8 30 3.7 8 0 16 Sedor 7 42 6.0 7 0 42 Emerson 1 -2 -2.0 -2 0 Passing Att Comp Yards Yd/Att Long TD Int Sckd 16 Sedor 33 24 270 8.1 35 4 0 0 Receiving Catch Yards Avg YAC Long TD 13 Cooper 6 66 11.0 9 22 2 8 Pearson 5 76 15.2 10 35 0 45 Copley 3 24 8.0 10 15 1 47 Wunderlich 3 18 6.0 2 9 1 18 Ellis 3 53 17.6 7 26 0 42 Emerson 2 6 3.0 4 4 0 86 Fields 2 27 13.5 7 20 0 Punt Returns Att Yards Avg TD 34 Tellez 2 23 11.5 0 Kick Returns Att Yards Avg TD 80 Torpey 1 16 16.0 0 27 Kuehler 1 34 34.0 0 Punting Punts Yards Avg Long In20 9 Alfonso 3 127 42.3 52 2 Kicking FG FGA Long PAT Att 19 Everhart 1 1 44 5 5 Defense Tackle Assist Sack Int IntYds IntTD 59 McKenzie 8 1 0.0 0 0 0 23 Vesser 5 2 0.0 0 0 0 34 Tellez 4 2 0.0 1 4 0 31 Padgett 4 1 0.0 0 0 0 56 Kuykendall 4 0 0.0 0 0 0 93 Lazaro 3 2 0.0 0 0 0 96 Lents 3 2 0.0 0 0 0 70 Armagost 3 1 0.0 0 0 0 27 Kuehler 2 1 0.0 0 0 0 57 Dennis 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 97 Gibbons 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 58 Galvan 1 1 0.0 0 0 0 95 Watkins 1 1 0.0 0 0 0 80 Torpey 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 41 Upshaw 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 87 Hastings 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 32 Webb 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 92 Ewart 0 3 0.0 0 0 0 Miscellaneous Fumb FForc Recov MiscTD KeyRBlk SckAlwd 54 Turnbull 0 0 0 0 3 0 79 Tilton 0 0 0 0 2 0 60 Brandon 0 0 0 0 2 0 42 Emerson 0 0 0 0 1 0 73 Kolodzik 0 0 0 0 1 0 13 Cooper 0 0 0 0 1 0 34 Tellez 1 0 0 0 0 0

Well, Keene seemed to have a run-it-right-at-them gameplan, and our defense held up pretty well. The 4.5 yards per carry isn’t great, but this is a solid team that has been running the ball well this year (4.75 YPC on the year) so I’m not too frustrated there – plus, holding them to under 100 yards passing, despite leading the whole way, is great. Hats off to the whole team here – we clicked really nicely on pretty much every front this week.

In addition, Portland lost to French, giving us a full game edge in the standings. Here’s the conference snapshot:

Code:
Front Office Football 2004 2013 Regular Season Standings NC North W L T Pct PF PA Conf Div Calverton 5 5 1 .500 268 275 4-5 3-1 Seal Beach 4 7 0 .364 225 291 3-6 2-2 Ayr 3 8 0 .273 235 296 1-8 1-3 Norwich 2 9 0 .182 171 305 2-7 2-2 NC South W L T Pct PF PA Conf Div Hell Creek 8 3 0 .727 243 150 6-3 1-3 Washington 7 3 1 .682 301 263 7-1-1 3-0-1 Madison 6 5 0 .545 228 234 5-4 2-2 State College 5 5 1 .500 197 202 5-3-1 1-2-1 NC East W L T Pct PF PA Conf Div Chesapeake 10 1 0 .909 331 160 8-1 4-0 Portland 9 2 0 .818 304 177 8-1 3-1 Dodge City 6 5 0 .545 281 237 5-4 1-3 South Carolina 6 5 0 .545 278 286 5-4 0-4 NC West W L T Pct PF PA Conf Div Mercury 8 3 0 .727 293 194 6-3 3-1 Davis 3 8 0 .273 173 247 3-6 3-1 Myrtle Beach 3 8 0 .273 168 270 1-8 1-3 Wheeling 2 9 0 .182 176 263 2-7 1-3

So, as things are starting to come together, we are pretty firmly in the driver’s seat for a bye week – we’d have to really stumble to see two teams get ahead of us in the conference standings. If Portland beats us in the finale, it would go to some cryptic tiebreaker, but another team would need to make up another game on top of that, at least. So, if the principal goal of the regular season is to earn a week off – we seem to be in good shape.

We now head out for four straight road games, so most anything could happen. And a game at French is on the schedule, so it’s certainly possible that we could close out this season with two losses and see our seeding fall apart. But right now, things look pretty good.

Last edited by QuikSand : 02-02-2007 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:25 PM   #540
QuikSand
lolzcat

Week 13: Chesapeake (10-1) at Davis (3-8)

Road game this week, looks like a trap setup. I have a pretty high-pass offense in place, and we ought to be okay, but this has a certain donutty look about it to me.

Code:
Box Score: Chesapeake at Davis Davis, CA. Week 13, 2013 Attendance: 52,600 (66,000). Weather: 68 degrees, fair. 1Q: 08:59 CHE - David Everhart 47 field goal. 1Q: 00:00 DVS - Drew Steude 3 run. 1Q: 00:00 DVS - Clyde McGee extra point. 2Q: 04:08 CHE - Robert Cooper 27 pass from Brent Sedor. 2Q: 04:08 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 2Q: 00:00 CHE - David Everhart 46 field goal. 3Q: 12:21 CHE - David Everhart 47 field goal. 3Q: 04:16 DVS - Safety: Everett Wright sacked quarterback in end zone. 3Q: 01:17 DVS - Safety, holding called in the end zone. 4Q: 01:55 CHE - David Everhart 28 field goal. Game MVP: CHE 16 Brent Sedor Chesapeake 3 10 3 3 - 19 Davis 7 0 4 0 - 11 Team Statistics CHE DVS First Downs 19 14 Total Rushes 22 26 Rushing Yards 93 96 Yards Per Carry 4.2 3.6 Pass Attempts 38 29 Completions 21 14 Passing Yards 250 118 Yards Per Attempt 6.5 4.0 Sacked 6 6 Yards Lost 39 31 Interceptions 0 1 Fumbles/Lost 0/0 1/0 Total Plays 66 61 Total Yards 304 183 Yards Per Play 4.6 3.0 3rd Down Plays 6/13 6/16 Avg. YTG on 3rd 8.7 9.0 4th Down Plays 0/0 1/1 Penalties 5 6 Penalty Yards 44 52 Avg. Drive Start OWN 30 OWN 22 Time Of Possession 31:16 28:44 Chesapeake Individual Statistics Rushing Att Yards Avg Long TD 45 Copley 13 58 4.4 19 0 16 Sedor 6 24 4.0 11 0 47 Wunderlich 2 4 2.0 2 0 42 Emerson 1 7 7.0 7 0 Passing Att Comp Yards Yd/Att Long TD Int Sckd 16 Sedor 38 21 250 6.5 27 1 0 6 Receiving Catch Yards Avg YAC Long TD 13 Cooper 5 71 14.2 8 27 1 8 Pearson 5 58 11.6 9 19 0 80 Torpey 3 39 13.0 5 24 0 18 Ellis 3 38 12.6 9 16 0 45 Copley 2 12 6.0 3 8 0 86 Fields 2 24 12.0 4 16 0 83 Leff 1 8 8.0 0 8 0 Punt Returns Att Yards Avg TD 18 Ellis 1 -4 -4.0 0 Kick Returns Att Yards Avg TD 27 Kuehler 1 35 35.0 0 18 Ellis 1 28 28.0 0 Punting Punts Yards Avg Long In20 9 Alfonso 3 115 38.3 42 1 Kicking FG FGA Long PAT Att 19 Everhart 4 5 47 1 1 Defense Tackle Assist Sack Int IntYds IntTD 23 Vesser 7 1 0.0 0 0 0 59 McKenzie 6 0 0.0 0 0 0 58 Galvan 5 0 1.5 0 0 0 92 Ewart 5 2 0.0 0 0 0 93 Lazaro 4 2 3.5 0 0 0 96 Lents 4 2 0.5 0 0 0 27 Kuehler 4 2 0.0 1 0 0 70 Armagost 3 1 0.5 0 0 0 57 Dennis 3 0 0.0 0 0 0 34 Tellez 3 0 0.0 0 0 0 97 Gibbons 2 2 0.0 0 0 0 99 White 1 1 0.0 0 0 0 28 Daniels 1 1 0.0 0 0 0 47 Wunderlich 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 80 Torpey 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 41 Upshaw 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 87 Hastings 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 73 Kolodzik 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 31 Padgett 0 1 0.0 0 0 0 Miscellaneous Fumb FForc Recov MiscTD KeyRBlk SckAlwd 60 Brandon 0 0 0 0 1 2 54 Turnbull 0 0 0 0 2 1 79 Tilton 0 0 0 0 0 2 42 Emerson 0 0 0 0 0 1 47 Wunderlich 0 0 0 0 1 0 96 Lents 0 1 0 0 0 0

You have to survive a few weak efforts to put together a strong record, and this was certainly one of them. Six sacks is a real worry, and the blame gets shared all over the place. We often win our close games due to the OL play – this one was probably made close by weak OL play on our side. And giving up not one but two safeties in the 3rd quarter – has there ever been an NFL team to post exactly 4 points for a quarter of a game? Weird little trivia there. (I have no idea how often it may really happen, or have happened back in the day)

So, we’ll slink out of town with a win, and get ready for a trip to Fall River, a team many projected for a playoff slot, but who is 2-10 on the season and thinking long term by now.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:34 PM   #541
QuikSand
lolzcat

Standings Update

So, with 4 games left to play, the conference setup is looking pretty clear. This is largely due to a big win by Mercury at home over our division rivals from Portland. The standings are as follows:

Code:
2013 Regular Season Standings NC North W L T Pct PF PA Conf Div Calverton 5 6 1 .458 284 306 4-6 3-1 Seal Beach 5 7 0 .417 252 315 4-6 2-2 Ayr 3 9 0 .250 245 313 1-9 1-3 Norwich 2 10 0 .167 185 333 2-8 2-2 NC South W L T Pct PF PA Conf Div Hell Creek 9 3 0 .750 274 166 7-3 1-3 Washington 7 4 1 .625 322 294 7-2-1 3-0-1 Madison 7 5 0 .583 256 248 6-4 2-2 State College 6 5 1 .542 228 215 6-3-1 1-2-1 NC East W L T Pct PF PA Conf Div Chesapeake 11 1 0 .917 350 171 9-1 4-0 Portland 9 3 0 .750 335 214 8-2 3-1 Dodge City 7 5 0 .583 312 258 6-4 1-3 South Carolina 6 6 0 .500 291 317 5-5 0-4 NC West W L T Pct PF PA Conf Div Mercury 9 3 0 .750 330 225 7-3 3-1 Myrtle Beach 4 8 0 .333 185 280 2-8 1-3 Davis 3 9 0 .250 184 266 3-7 3-1 Wheeling 2 10 0 .167 200 290 2-8 1-3

So, we are in really good shape now – we’d need to really fall apart to lose the bye week – probably a 1-3 finish would be required. So, we seem to be in excellent position to earn the seed that we want.

It’s looking as though the likely seedings will be:

1 Chesapeake
2 Hell Creek/Mercury
3 Mercury/Hell Creek
4 North winner
5 Portland
6 Washington/Madison

So, the big battles right now are for the #2/#3 split (a big one) and the #6/out bubble battle, as usual.

We’re not ready to release the dragster parachute or anything quite yet, but it’s at least conceivable that we rotate in a few younger players into more prominent roles down the stretch.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:36 PM   #542
QuikSand
lolzcat

So, any verdict on a young DE?

After two offseasons trying to get a young player to step into the mix as a pass rusher, here’s where we are:

2012 2nd rounder Edwin Gregson – released
2012 3rd rounder Skip Clayton – buried on our bench
2012 4th rounder Kerry Meadows – in our DE rotation now
2013 1st rounder Rex Pint – unsigned and heading back to next year’s draft

So, with basically one club left in this expensive bag – what do we have with Meadows, anyway?

Code:
Defensive Statistics Player Pos Team GP GS Tckl Asst Sack Blkd Hurr PD% 2012 Meadows, Kerry DE CHE 10 0 11 3 1.0 2 2 1.9 2013 Meadows, Kerry DE CHE 12 7 14 3 4.0 0 6 4.1

So, we have a guy who has gotten in for nearly 500 pass plays, and whose pass rush production is pretty subpar. Is his snapshot as a player all that impressive? Well, no, that’s why he was a 4th round pick…

So, he has some supposed potential in PR Technique, but this doesn’t look like a star player in the making.

He is, however, a creeper. And I do love my creepers. By my scout, he’s seven points better in overall potential than he was when we initially saw him in the draft pool. So, I’m hopeful that he may have some continued development there – and that has me still investing in him.

I’m not looking for input here, really – I’m going to keep using him as a rotation DE anyway, but I thought this might be a point worth mentioning. Even on a team full of veterans and solid starters, we need to have quality guys in reserve, whether it’s for rotation duty now, to cover for injury, or to play bigger roles down the road. Right now, Meadows is the one survivor of the recent acquisitions who is getting a real shot to play and develop into a guy we can depend on.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:38 AM   #543
QuikSand
lolzcat

Week 15: Chesapeake (10-1) at Fall River (2-9)

I don’t have any real idea what happened to Fall River this year – they came in as a team I expected to see in the playoff hunt, but instead they are in the hunt for the top draft pick. Odd. Anyway, we have even more players dinged up and out of the lineup this week, but are a heavy favorite on the road this week.

I publicly stated my fears as the game loomed – this looks like a classic trap game to me.

Code:
Box Score: Chesapeake at Fall River Fall River, MA. Week 14, 2013 Attendance: 64,000 (79,400). Weather: 36 degrees, fair. 1Q: 02:27 CHE - George Ellis 5 pass from Brent Sedor. 1Q: 02:27 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 2Q: 12:32 CHE - Craps Copley 5 pass from Brent Sedor. 2Q: 12:32 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 2Q: 12:15 FLR - Roman Nader 101 kickoff return. 2Q: 12:15 FLR - Wally Tyler extra point. 2Q: 09:09 FLR - Charlie Schwartz 7 pass from Edward Addison. 2Q: 09:09 FLR - Wally Tyler extra point. 2Q: 00:19 FLR - Wally Tyler 43 field goal. 3Q: 05:30 FLR - Harvey Hernandez 19 pass from Edward Addison. 3Q: 05:30 FLR - Wally Tyler extra point. 4Q: 06:46 CHE - Brent Sedor 1 run. 4Q: 06:46 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 4Q: 02:00 CHE - Bill Wunderlich 3 run. 4Q: 02:00 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 4Q: 00:52 FLR - R.J. Walsh 10 pass from Edward Addison. 4Q: 00:52 FLR - Wally Tyler extra point. Game MVP: FLR 17 Edward Addison Chesapeake 7 7 0 14 - 28 Fall River 0 17 7 7 - 31 Team Statistics CHE FLR First Downs 29 19 Total Rushes 30 18 Rushing Yards 104 62 Yards Per Carry 3.4 3.4 Pass Attempts 43 37 Completions 25 16 Passing Yards 359 306 Yards Per Attempt 8.3 8.2 Sacked 2 2 Yards Lost 15 13 Interceptions 2 0 Fumbles/Lost 2/2 0/0 Total Plays 75 57 Total Yards 448 355 Yards Per Play 5.9 6.2 3rd Down Plays 9/13 3/12 Avg. YTG on 3rd 8.0 10.7 4th Down Plays 0/0 0/0 Penalties 5 4 Penalty Yards 30 49 Avg. Drive Start OWN 31 OWN 24 Time Of Possession 35:21 24:39 Chesapeake Individual Statistics Rushing Att Yards Avg Long TD 45 Copley 16 45 2.8 12 0 47 Wunderlich 7 36 5.1 19 1 16 Sedor 5 14 2.8 7 1 42 Emerson 1 3 3.0 3 0 8 Pearson 1 6 6.0 6 0 Passing Att Comp Yards Yd/Att Long TD Int Sckd 16 Sedor 43 25 359 8.3 51 2 2 2 Receiving Catch Yards Avg YAC Long TD 18 Ellis 6 127 21.1 2 51 1 13 Cooper 5 70 14.0 10 19 0 45 Copley 4 29 7.2 5 12 1 47 Wunderlich 4 33 8.2 6 9 0 8 Pearson 3 54 18.0 10 29 0 86 Fields 2 40 20.0 8 25 0 42 Emerson 1 6 6.0 0 6 0 Punt Returns Att Yards Avg TD 18 Ellis 2 9 4.5 0 34 Tellez 1 6 6.0 0 Kick Returns Att Yards Avg TD 87 Hastings 2 35 17.5 0 18 Ellis 2 53 26.5 0 80 Torpey 1 23 23.0 0 Punting Punts Yards Avg Long In20 9 Alfonso 4 160 40.0 45 1 Kicking FG FGA Long PAT Att 19 Everhart 0 1 0 4 4 Defense Tackle Assist Sack Int IntYds IntTD 92 Ewart 7 1 1.0 0 0 0 31 Padgett 6 2 0.0 0 0 0 59 McKenzie 6 1 0.0 0 0 0 21 McCartney 4 0 0.0 0 0 0 97 Gibbons 3 1 0.0 0 0 0 58 Galvan 2 0 1.0 0 0 0 87 Hastings 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 66 Schmit 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 34 Tellez 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 93 Lazaro 1 2 0.0 0 0 0 96 Lents 1 1 0.0 0 0 0 47 Wunderlich 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 57 Dennis 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 16 Sedor 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 32 Webb 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 70 Armagost 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 23 Vesser 0 2 0.0 0 0 0 28 Daniels 0 2 0.0 0 0 0 Miscellaneous Fumb FForc Recov MiscTD KeyRBlk SckAlwd 60 Brandon 0 0 0 0 1 1 79 Tilton 0 0 0 0 2 1 45 Copley 2 0 0 0 0 0 73 Kolodzik 0 0 0 0 2 0 54 Turnbull 0 0 0 0 2 0 42 Emerson 0 0 0 0 1 0 13 Cooper 0 0 0 0 1 0 83 Leff 0 0 0 0 1 0

Weird game, with last-minute heroics and big plays, and we end up on the short side of it. Sedor has two costly picks, and our running game really didn’t do much at all. Tough loss.

So, we slide a game in the standings – Oortland catches up to within one game again, and that’s the main concern. We’re back to where a win in the finale at Chesapeake would pull POR into a tiebreaker situation with us – and that’s too close for comfort.

For week 16, we are again on the road to face Dodge City, who is still in the hunt for the postseason, but needs this win. These are always tough games, too. Ugh.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:51 PM   #544
QuikSand
lolzcat

Week 15: Chesapeake (11-2) at Dodge City (8-5)

This is always a tough game. Period. If you aren’t taking the Vigs and the points here, you’re a fool. We have been winning these games, but we **never** win them big, and there’s no reason to expect anything new here.

Code:
Box Score: Chesapeake at Dodge City Dodge City, NM. Week 15, 2013 Attendance: 65,800 (66,000). Weather: 26 degrees, fair. 1Q: 10:06 CHE - Harvey Leff 57 pass from Brent Sedor. 1Q: 10:06 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 1Q: 03:03 DGC - Rickey Jacob 6 run. 1Q: 03:03 DGC - Herman Justice extra point. 2Q: 03:03 DGC - Herman Justice 40 field goal. 2Q: 00:24 CHE - Bill Wunderlich 8 run. 2Q: 00:24 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 3Q: 08:00 DGC - Artie Harada 8 pass from Bill Sampson. 3Q: 08:00 DGC - Herman Justice extra point. 4Q: 13:31 CHE - Craps Copley 2 run. 4Q: 13:31 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 4Q: 06:24 CHE - Harvey Leff 23 pass from Brent Sedor. 4Q: 06:24 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 4Q: 00:42 DGC - Herman Rayburn 2 pass from Bill Sampson. 4Q: 00:42 DGC - Bill Sampson pass to Rickey Jacob for conversion Game MVP: CHE 16 Brent Sedor Chesapeake 7 7 0 14 - 28 Dodge City 7 3 7 8 - 25 Team Statistics CHE DGC First Downs 21 26 Total Rushes 27 32 Rushing Yards 131 164 Yards Per Carry 4.8 5.1 Pass Attempts 28 36 Completions 16 21 Passing Yards 281 220 Yards Per Attempt 10.0 6.1 Sacked 3 2 Yards Lost 17 11 Interceptions 0 1 Fumbles/Lost 0/0 0/0 Total Plays 58 70 Total Yards 395 373 Yards Per Play 6.8 5.3 3rd Down Plays 4/10 7/15 Avg. YTG on 3rd 12.1 5.1 4th Down Plays 0/0 1/2 Penalties 9 5 Penalty Yards 61 29 Avg. Drive Start OWN 24 OWN 25 Time Of Possession 28:10 31:50 Chesapeake Individual Statistics Rushing Att Yards Avg Long TD 45 Copley 15 61 4.0 12 1 16 Sedor 8 49 6.1 12 0 47 Wunderlich 4 21 5.2 8 1 Passing Att Comp Yards Yd/Att Long TD Int Sckd 16 Sedor 28 16 281 10.0 57 2 0 3 Receiving Catch Yards Avg YAC Long TD 47 Wunderlich 3 31 10.3 5 12 0 13 Cooper 3 31 10.3 6 14 0 18 Ellis 3 51 17.0 0 21 0 8 Pearson 2 35 17.5 1 18 0 83 Leff 2 80 40.0 7 57 2 45 Copley 1 17 17.0 1 17 0 80 Torpey 1 34 34.0 0 34 0 86 Fields 1 2 2.0 0 2 0 Punt Returns Att Yards Avg TD 18 Ellis 1 -2 -2.0 0 Kick Returns Att Yards Avg TD 18 Ellis 2 33 16.5 0 Punting Punts Yards Avg Long In20 9 Alfonso 6 274 45.6 62 2 Kicking FG FGA Long PAT Att 19 Everhart 0 0 0 4 4 Defense Tackle Assist Sack Int IntYds IntTD 92 Ewart 10 3 0.0 0 0 0 27 Kuehler 7 2 0.0 0 0 0 59 McKenzie 5 5 0.0 0 0 0 21 McCartney 5 3 0.0 1 1 0 70 Armagost 4 4 1.0 0 0 0 93 Lazaro 4 1 0.0 0 0 0 31 Padgett 4 1 0.0 0 0 0 96 Lents 4 0 0.0 0 0 0 58 Galvan 3 0 1.0 0 0 0 57 Dennis 3 0 0.0 0 0 0 34 Tellez 3 0 0.0 0 0 0 97 Gibbons 2 2 0.0 0 0 0 29 Schwantz 1 3 0.0 0 0 0 95 Watkins 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 40 Lombardo 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 56 Kuykendall 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 Miscellaneous Fumb FForc Recov MiscTD KeyRBlk SckAlwd 13 Cooper 0 0 0 0 0 1 54 Turnbull 0 0 0 0 5 0 79 Tilton 0 0 0 0 0 2 73 Kolodzik 0 0 0 0 2 0 42 Emerson 0 0 0 0 1 0 66 Schmit 0 0 0 0 1 0 60 Brandon 0 0 0 0 1 0

Well, we needed the win, and can’t really be surprised that it came by a narrow margin.

I am not too happy about the current performance, though – especially our defense. Here, DT Bryan Lents got hurt (unusual for him) and our run defense suffered – but even with him we haven’t been that tough against the run. We’ll see Armagost and White manning the middle for the new couple of weeks, and hopefully we will get Lents back for the postseason.

With two games left to play, we are assured of a playoff berth, but Portland remains only one game behind, with the finale at our place. We probably won’t be able to seal the bye week until the final week, and we may indeed need to win that game to get the week off.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:57 PM   #545
QuikSand
lolzcat

Week 16: Chesapeake (12-2) at French (11-3)

Nominally a big game, as both teams appear to be heading for a bye week. But this late in the season, we never know whether teams will be bringing their A game. French may be coasting here. We need the win, with a division rival right on our heels.

Code:
Box Score: Chesapeake at French French, TN. Week 16, 2013 Attendance: 67,300 (76,100). Weather: 48 degrees, fair. 1Q: 06:49 CHE - Craps Copley 3 pass from Brent Sedor. 1Q: 06:49 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 1Q: 01:31 FRE - Thomas Sottile 4 pass from Anselmo Attaway. 1Q: 01:31 FRE - Tommy Taute extra point. 2Q: 13:45 CHE - Robert Cooper 16 pass from Brent Sedor. 2Q: 13:45 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 2Q: 10:52 CHE - Charles Emerson 2 pass from Brent Sedor. 2Q: 10:52 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 3Q: 01:06 CHE - Kent Fields 57 pass from Brent Sedor. 3Q: 01:06 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 4Q: 09:48 CHE - Craps Copley 3 run. 4Q: 09:48 CHE - David Everhart extra point. Game MVP: CHE 16 Brent Sedor Chesapeake 7 14 7 7 - 35 French 7 0 0 0 - 7 Team Statistics CHE FRE First Downs 24 17 Total Rushes 26 37 Rushing Yards 105 170 Yards Per Carry 4.0 4.5 Pass Attempts 27 26 Completions 20 13 Passing Yards 352 159 Yards Per Attempt 13.0 6.1 Sacked 0 2 Yards Lost 0 11 Interceptions 2 0 Fumbles/Lost 0/0 2/2 Total Plays 53 65 Total Yards 457 318 Yards Per Play 8.6 4.8 3rd Down Plays 5/9 8/16 Avg. YTG on 3rd 5.2 6.9 4th Down Plays 0/0 0/0 Penalties 5 5 Penalty Yards 45 35 Avg. Drive Start OWN 24 OWN 28 Time Of Possession 29:55 30:05 Chesapeake Individual Statistics Rushing Att Yards Avg Long TD 45 Copley 13 47 3.6 12 1 16 Sedor 6 42 7.0 15 0 47 Wunderlich 5 8 1.6 4 0 40 Lombardo 1 5 5.0 5 0 42 Emerson 1 3 3.0 3 0 Passing Att Comp Yards Yd/Att Long TD Int Sckd 16 Sedor 27 20 352 13.0 57 4 2 0 Receiving Catch Yards Avg YAC Long TD 8 Pearson 5 137 27.4 12 46 0 13 Cooper 4 70 17.5 19 21 1 45 Copley 3 24 8.0 5 12 1 47 Wunderlich 2 25 12.5 3 13 0 42 Emerson 2 10 5.0 3 8 1 86 Fields 2 66 33.0 47 57 1 80 Torpey 1 13 13.0 0 13 0 18 Ellis 1 7 7.0 0 7 0 Punt Returns Att Yards Avg TD 34 Tellez 2 5 2.5 0 18 Ellis 2 14 7.0 0 Kick Returns Att Yards Avg TD 18 Ellis 1 19 19.0 0 Punting Punts Yards Avg Long In20 9 Alfonso 3 126 42.0 49 0 Kicking FG FGA Long PAT Att 19 Everhart 0 0 0 5 5 Defense Tackle Assist Sack Int IntYds IntTD 59 McKenzie 11 1 0.0 0 0 0 27 Kuehler 6 2 0.0 0 0 0 93 Lazaro 5 4 1.5 0 0 0 29 Schwantz 5 3 0.0 0 0 0 21 McCartney 5 1 0.0 0 0 0 70 Armagost 3 2 0.5 0 0 0 92 Ewart 3 1 0.0 0 0 0 32 Webb 3 0 0.0 0 0 0 34 Tellez 3 0 0.0 0 0 0 87 Hastings 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 95 Watkins 1 1 0.0 0 0 0 96 Lents 1 1 0.0 0 0 0 28 Daniels 1 1 0.0 0 0 0 45 Copley 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 57 Dennis 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 97 Gibbons 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 99 White 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 31 Padgett 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 13 Cooper 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 23 Vesser 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 86 Fields 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 90 Meadows 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 Miscellaneous Fumb FForc Recov MiscTD KeyRBlk SckAlwd 66 Schmit 0 0 0 0 3 0 54 Turnbull 0 0 0 0 3 0 93 Lazaro 0 0 1 0 0 0 73 Kolodzik 0 0 0 0 1 0 59 McKenzie 0 1 0 0 0 0 31 Padgett 0 0 1 0 0 0 21 McCartney 0 1 0 0 0 0

So, we come away with an overpowering win here. But Portland also wins, so we still have not sealed up our bye week, as they are only one game back. If they win at our place next week, we may end up on the road in the playoffs as a wild card. So, no letting off the gas pedal here.

One bit of very bad news, though – it looks like RG Marvin Brandon may have suffered a career-ending injury, as he is listed as having as a 40-week ACL. That sucks. We’re in decent shape for this year, but for the long term, that stinks – Brandon was an excellent player, and a serious part of our ability to regularly grind out big yardage up the middle.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:48 AM   #546
QuikSand
lolzcat

All Wrapped Up?

Despite the records and the chance for a multi-level tie between Portland and Chesapeake, there’s some reason to believe we have the top seed sealed up. I’ll quote from Portland GM PineTar’s analysis of the situation here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineTar
Quik:

If FOF does indeed follow NFL guidelines, I think CHE has already clinched the NCE...

Code:
Originally Posted by NFL Rulebook The six postseason participants from each conference are be seeded as follows: 1. The division champion with the best record. 2. The division champion with the second-best record. 3. The division champion with the third-best record. 4. The division champion with the fourth-best record. 5. The Wild Card club with the best record. 6. The Wild Card club with the second-best record. The following procedures will be used to break standings ties for postseason playoffs and to determine regular-season schedules. NOTE: Tie games count as one-half win and one-half loss for both clubs. TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined. Two Clubs: 1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs). 2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division. 3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games. 4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference. 5. Strength of victory. 6. Strength of schedule. 7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed. 8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed. 9. Best net points in common games. 10. Best net points in all games. 11. Best net touchdowns in all games.

So assume POR pulls off the miracle and wins in your house. The first four divisional tiebreakers are even as we'd have split the season series, each have 5 wins in the NCE, each have gone 11-1 in common games and each ended up 10-2 in the conference.

Which brings us to Tiebreaker #5 - strength of victory

As stated in step 3, we had 12 common games this season in which we each went 11-1. Completely irrelevant to this decision tree, but worth mentioning... POR lost a "not common" game to Mercury and the C-Dogs lost a "not common" game to Hell Creek. To determine strength of victory, we only need to look at the two opponents that each team defeated that the other team did not. The list is as follows:

POR: MAD (8-7), FLR (4-11)
CHE: FRE (11-4), DVS (5-10)

Looking at that list, CHE has the clearcut edge in terms of strength of victory. Nothing in week 17 will change that.

So, if that’s all correct, CHE is already locked in to the #1 seed. I don’t know that I have enough faith in all the ifs there to go out and bench everyone or anything, but that might be a nice assurance to have in hand.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:03 AM   #547
QuikSand
lolzcat

Week 17: Portland (12-3) at Chesapeake (13-2)

Well, it’s not 100% clear that we are still playing for the division, but we are definitely a candidate to lose our #1 seed with a loss here, even if we would edge out Portland. Hell Creek has us head-to-head, so we cannot afford to botch this game and let them get the home field advantage. We have starters in place, and will have our serious game plan ready to go. Not trying to lose any steam heading into the playoffs.

Code:
Box Score: Portland at Chesapeake Chesapeake, PA. Week 17, 2013 Attendance: 45,100 (58,000). Weather: 33 degrees, snow. 1Q: 10:10 CHE - Brent Sedor 1 run. 1Q: 10:10 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 4Q: 07:19 POR - Alvin Arnold 2 pass from Randall Sosa. 4Q: 07:19 POR - Tyrus Foley extra point. 4Q: 04:54 CHE - Robert Torpey 30 pass from Brent Sedor. 4Q: 04:54 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 4Q: 01:50 CHE - Preston Gibbons 97 interception return. 4Q: 01:50 CHE - David Everhart extra point. Game MVP: CHE 16 Brent Sedor Portland 0 0 0 7 - 7 Chesapeake 7 0 0 14 - 21 Team Statistics POR CHE First Downs 19 22 Total Rushes 20 30 Rushing Yards 56 92 Yards Per Carry 2.8 3.0 Pass Attempts 49 33 Completions 27 23 Passing Yards 249 287 Yards Per Attempt 5.0 8.6 Sacked 0 0 Yards Lost 0 0 Interceptions 1 0 Fumbles/Lost 0/0 3/1 Total Plays 69 63 Total Yards 305 379 Yards Per Play 4.4 6.0 3rd Down Plays 7/17 3/10 Avg. YTG on 3rd 8.7 6.8 4th Down Plays 0/1 0/0 Penalties 11 8 Penalty Yards 85 89 Avg. Drive Start OWN 24 OWN 24 Time Of Possession 29:20 30:40 Chesapeake Individual Statistics Rushing Att Yards Avg Long TD 45 Copley 15 24 1.6 13 0 16 Sedor 12 59 4.9 11 1 47 Wunderlich 3 9 3.0 8 0 Passing Att Comp Yards Yd/Att Long TD Int Sckd 16 Sedor 33 23 287 8.6 30 1 0 0 Receiving Catch Yards Avg YAC Long TD 13 Cooper 6 60 10.0 8 17 0 8 Pearson 5 82 16.4 10 23 0 47 Wunderlich 4 42 10.5 13 17 0 45 Copley 2 20 10.0 4 14 0 80 Torpey 2 40 20.0 5 30 1 18 Ellis 2 28 14.0 3 17 0 42 Emerson 1 5 5.0 0 5 0 86 Fields 1 10 10.0 0 10 0 Punt Returns Att Yards Avg TD 34 Tellez 1 -2 -2.0 0 18 Ellis 1 -1 -1.0 0 Kick Returns Att Yards Avg TD 18 Ellis 1 32 32.0 0 Punting Punts Yards Avg Long In20 9 Alfonso 6 255 42.5 49 2 Kicking FG FGA Long PAT Att 19 Everhart 0 1 0 3 3 Defense Tackle Assist Sack Int IntYds IntTD 92 Ewart 9 5 0.0 0 0 0 97 Gibbons 6 1 0.0 1 97 1 31 Padgett 6 3 0.0 0 0 0 29 Schwantz 5 2 0.0 0 0 0 59 McKenzie 4 1 0.0 0 0 0 21 McCartney 3 3 0.0 0 0 0 34 Tellez 3 0 0.0 0 0 0 96 Lents 2 3 0.0 0 0 0 93 Lazaro 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 42 Emerson 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 56 Kuykendall 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 27 Kuehler 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 23 Vesser 1 1 0.0 0 0 0 70 Armagost 1 1 0.0 0 0 0 32 Webb 0 2 0.0 0 0 0 58 Galvan 0 1 0.0 0 0 0 Miscellaneous Fumb FForc Recov MiscTD KeyRBlk SckAlwd 45 Copley 3 0 0 0 0 0 79 Tilton 0 0 1 0 1 0 42 Emerson 0 0 0 0 1 0 73 Kolodzik 0 0 0 0 1 0 66 Schmit 0 0 0 0 1 0 54 Turnbull 0 0 0 0 1 0 16 Sedor 0 0 1 0 0 0

Not a dominating effort by our offense, but the defense played a solid contain game, and ultimately we get out of here with a season-ending win, and a two-game edge on the rest of the conference. We have our top seed, and that’s really all you can do in the regular season. We are in pretty good health overall – minus one stud OL in Brandon, but generally in good shape. DT Bryan Lents looks like he will be playable by our playoff opener, and we ought to be ready to roll in two weeks.

More to come with season-end stats and such, but for now… 14-2 on the year, highest scoring team in the league, lowest points allowed in the league, and heading into the playoffs as the favorite to win it all. Right where we want to be.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:43 PM   #548
QuikSand
lolzcat

Season Stat Summary

Code:
Front Office Football 2004 2013 Summary for Chesapeake Chili Dogs Record: 14-2 Winning Pct.: .875 Chesapeake Chili Dogs Team Rank Rushes 461 17 Rushing Yards 2138 10 Yards Per Carry 4.63 3 Pass Attempts 508 23 Completions 320 12 (T) Passing Yards 4549 5 Yards Per Attempt 8.95 1 3rd Down Conversions 47.6 7 Points Per Game 28.8 1 Turnovers 17 8 (T) Turnover Margin +3 11 (T) Opponents Team Rank Rushes 433 8 Rushing Yards 1811 10 Yards Per Carry 4.18 16 Pass Attempts 509 3 (T) Completions 289 7 Passing Yards 3542 5 Yards Per Attempt 6.95 12 3rd Down Conversions 40.4 6 Points Per Game 15.0 1 Turnovers 20 20 (T)

So, a few noteworthy things form these stats. I like to look at the yards per play stats and rankings as a sort of “core” indicator of team success. And this year, that reveals that this team was very clearly driven by the offense -- #3 (pretty close to the top) in yards per carry, and #1 (by a rather wide margin) in yards per pass attempt. Brent Sedor, of course, gets the thanks for this – it’s his running skill that makes our rushing stats look good, and his arm that does the rest.

Defensively, we shake out as pretty average. That’s disappointing to me – I’m not thrilled about allowing almost 4.2 yards per carry on the ground, as I think we have the talent to do better than that (and have, in past years, with much the same cast). We were a little better than average in yards per attempt, and that’s fine. This year, the defense was not the turnover engine that we had grown used to, but they did okay, and we remained in the plus there.

Actualy, to have as dominating a season as we did statistically, without even posting above-average defensive stats in really any way – it’s quite a testament to our offense. We controlled nearly all the games we played on that side of the ball.

Code:
Week Team Versus Oppnt 1 45 SCA 17 2 45 NOR 6 3 10 HLC 17 4 10 NRW 9 5 17 at POR 14 6 35 at AYR 16 7 50 CAL 21 9 34 at SCA 24 10 17 at SLB 3 11 30 DGC 27 12 38 KEE 6 13 19 at DVS 11 14 28 at FLR 31 15 28 at DGC 25 16 35 at FRE 7 17 21 POR 7

So… nothing new here. The loss to Hell Creek was not a shock, they remain a top-drawer team and a main conference rival. Fall River was a weird team all year, and they claimed to have played a peculiar gameplan against us, which seemed to click pretty well. It happens.

Code:
Passing Pos Att Comp Yards Y/Att TD Int 16 Sedor QB 504 316 4434 8.79 33 8 **Team --- 508 320 4549 8.95 34 8 Rushing Pos Att Yards Y/Att TD 45 Copley RB 255 1154 4.52 10 16 Sedor QB 104 622 5.98 4 47 Wunderlich FB 54 198 3.66 3 **Team --- 461 2138 4.63 19 Receiving Pos Targ Catch Yards Y/Ctc YAC TD 13 Cooper TE 93 68 888 13.0 178 8 8 Pearson WR 96 53 823 15.5 96 3 45 Copley RB 60 43 471 10.9 89 5 18 Ellis WR 80 43 679 15.7 70 6 86 Fields WR 54 35 692 19.7 238 5 47 Wunderlich FB 31 23 218 9.4 41 2 80 Torpey WR 44 23 382 16.6 37 1 **Team --- 508 320 4549 14.2 806 34

Sedor posts his best season to date – a passer rating of 106.1 is among the very highest this league has seen. His 8.79 yards per attempt is easily a career high – compared to last year, his main gain was in completion percentage, which was up dramatically from 56.6% last year to 62.6% this year. We are not an all-pass offense by any means, but with almost 9 yards a pass play (nearly a full yard better than anyone else in the league), we racked up over 4500 yards passing, regardless. No other team with over 4,000 yards passing had fewer then 550 attempts – the four teams ahead of us had 599 and up.

The pure running game wasn’t bad, but we’re starting to see some miles on Craps Copley. Averaging 4.5 yards per carry is solid, and we are not complaining by any means, but he isn’t really a star caliber player, he’s just a nice cog in a pretty effective system right now. The real engine behind our being a top rushing offense is getting 600+ yards on the ground again from our mobile quarterback.

Our fleet of receivers remains deep, and getting better. Once again, we have zero 1,000 yard receivers – but this year, that was only true because Burt Pearson missed a few games. He has definitely emerged as our #1 guy, but he only got 8 starts this season, and 96 passes thrown his way. His target % is up to 31%, and that tells me he is the top dog in the kennel. TE Robert Cooper put together an outstanding season for us, and is going to make a contract renewal seem awfully important. An 800+ yard target to go along with our young wideouts is awfully nice to have around. I am extremely pleased with our receiving corps.

Code:
Blocking Statistics Player Pos Team GP GS KRB KRO BPct SkA PPly SPct RPly OPct Turnbull, Winston C CHE 16 16 30 74 40.5 5 530 0.9 445 16.6 Brandon, Marvin G CHE 15 15 29 63 46.0 4 472 0.8 391 16.1 Schmit, Gus G CHE 14 14 25 65 38.4 2 447 0.4 382 17.0 Tilton, Stanley T CHE 16 16 18 53 33.9 6 533 1.1 457 11.5 Kolodzik, Horace T CHE 16 16 17 48 35.4 4 526 0.7 443 10.8 Emerson, Charles FB CHE 16 14 8 23 34.7 4 316 1.2 372 6.1 Cooper, Robert TE CHE 16 16 7 16 43.7 1 434 0.2 421 3.8 Wunderlich, Bill FB CHE 16 2 3 5 60.0 0 216 0.0 186 2.6 Burns, Jerry T CHE 7 3 2 12 16.6 0 112 0.0 104 11.5 Leff, Harvey TE CHE 16 0 1 2 50.0 0 31 0.0 42 4.7 Lambeau, Wendell C CHE 6 0 0 3 0.0 0 10 0.0 24 12.5 Csonka, Shane G CHE 4 0 0 4 0.0 0 24 0.0 35 11.4 Wickham, Drew G CHE 7 0 0 3 0.0 1 20 5.0 24 12.5

Well, it’s once again time to tip our collective caps to the offensive line. The five starters (including T Tilton, who played variously at RG and RT) were all very solid on the year – C Winston Turnbull once again proved that he is a centerpiece kind of run blocker, and his 30 key run blocks make a good case for an all-pro award. Marvin Brandon’s 46% on KRBs is among the league’s top marks there, as well. Nobody was a real liability in the passing game, and we had a very nice effort all around. This unit plays together very well.

Code:
Defense Pos Tack Asst Sack Hurr Ints Defn 59 McKenzie ILB 100 30 0.0 1 0 5 92 Ewart OLB 88 39 1.0 1 0 17 27 Kuehler CB 58 25 0.0 0 5 12 31 Padgett CB 58 20 0.0 0 0 13 97 Gibbons ILB 56 14 0.0 0 1 5 96 Lents DT 54 21 1.5 14 0 1 29 Schwantz S 41 22 0.0 0 1 9 21 McCartney S 39 18 0.0 0 2 4 93 Lazaro DE 37 25 7.5 14 0 0 34 Tellez CB 32 10 0.0 0 2 6 23 Vesser S 27 12 0.0 0 0 5 70 Armagost DT 26 14 2.5 6 0 0 58 Galvan OLB 25 5 5.5 16 0 1 99 White DE 22 13 1.0 0 0 0 57 Dennis ILB 19 0 0.0 0 0 0 28 Daniels CB 19 10 0.0 0 1 7 **Team --- 805 287 23.0 59 12 85

The defense was solid all year, really. We got into a few shootouts, but they also controlled a number of games on their own, especially during a stretch fairly early in the season when the offense was sputtering a bit. LB Daryl Ewart had a very strong all-around year for us, with 88+39 tackles and 17 passes defensed – not a lot more you can ask from a LB, especially on a team that doesn’t do a lot of blitzing. We did not muster a top-level pass rush (not even close) but our passing defense was still pretty good. CB Herman Padgett probably had his best year to date for us, despite not snagging any picks – he, along with Lewis Kuehler, made a solid hard-hitting pair of corners for us. And we got pretty decent play out of second year utility DB C.J. Daniels, who had 7 passes defensed to only 11 catches allowed, a very strong coverage ratio for a guy who isn’t really a great fit in our secondary’s system.

All told – with a season like the one we had, it’s hard to really get too upset about much of anything. I would have liked to have seen one of our backup RBs put together some better numbers, and I’d prefer a defense that racks up maybe 30 turnovers instead of 20… but it’s pretty hard to complain about much of anything.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:44 AM   #549
QuikSand
lolzcat

Wild Card Weekend

In the first playoff games, Portland predictably wins their road game, and Washington (who earned their playoff berth with a season-ending win over Hell Creek) got bumped off by Morgado’s Mercury team. So, we get to play host to the lowest remaining seed – our division rivals from Portland.

Here’s a snapshot of Portland’s season summary:

Code:
Front Office Football 2004 2013 Summary for Portland Pisces Record: 13-4 Winning Pct.: .764 Portland Pisces Team Rank Rushes 507 7 Rushing Yards 2106 11 Yards Per Carry 4.15 17 (T) Pass Attempts 599 5 Completions 379 3 Passing Yards 4588 4 Yards Per Attempt 7.65 7 3rd Down Conversions 48.0 5 Points Per Game 26.1 7 Turnovers 24 22 (T) Turnover Margin +8 4 (T) Opponents Team Rank Rushes 396 1 Rushing Yards 1681 4 Yards Per Carry 4.24 19 Pass Attempts 557 25 Completions 286 6 Passing Yards 3785 12 Yards Per Attempt 6.79 6 3rd Down Conversions 34.3 1 Points Per Game 18.2 3 Turnovers 32 1 Week Team Versus Oppnt 1 30 DGC 27 2 29 at FLR 17 3 41 MAD 10 5 14 CHE 17 6 23 at NRW 9 7 24 SLB 13 8 42 AYR 16 9 20 at CAL 17 10 24 at DGC 7 11 38 SCA 17 12 19 at FRE 27 13 31 at MER 37 14 32 NOR 25 15 24 at SCA 14 16 21 KEE 18 17 7 at CHE 21 $$WC 16 at CAL 7 $$CS at CHE Passing Pos Att Comp Yards Y/Att TD Int 19 Sosa QB 590 374 4532 7.68 33 9 **Team --- 599 379 4588 7.65 34 9 Rushing Pos Att Yards Y/Att TD 42 Matthews FB 199 850 4.27 3 23 Henson RB 180 788 4.37 5 44 Austin RB 102 410 4.01 4 **Team --- 507 2106 4.15 13 Receiving Pos Targ Catch Yards Y/Ctc YAC TD 85 Mansour WR 145 90 1481 16.4 361 10 42 Matthews FB 109 76 632 8.3 296 6 84 Gault WR 96 62 902 14.5 158 3 82 Arnold TE 71 50 558 11.1 130 7 80 Reese WR 63 35 414 11.8 80 2 23 Henson RB 39 24 160 6.6 62 1 88 Conway TE 23 17 132 7.7 20 3 **Team --- 597 379 4588 12.1 1153 34 Defense Pos Tack Asst Sack Hurr Ints Defn **Team --- 749 238 21.0 79 23 93

This is a pretty solid team – Portland made a pretty shrewd offseason move at thee QB position, getting a nice trade package for their veteran QB Benjamin Fuller and showing preliminary signals for “rebuilding” mode. But they then turned around and acquired veteran QB Randall Sosa from Mars (a two-time champion himself) and got him in a trade for less than they got for Fuller. Sosa is a 13th year player, while Fuller is a 7th – so while the long term might look like a sacrifice, they got a guy who put them right back into the hunt for this year, at least. Sosa has been excellent for them this year. (Admittedly, Fuller was very solid for State College this year, but couldn’t get them into the playoffs)

So, they are a team that runs the ball very well (a more honest straight-ahead rushing team than we are, you could argue) and have a pretty well-balanced offense, though they actually throw more than we do. On defense, they have pretty good talent, but I don’t see any specific area where we need to completely avoid. We’ll tinker a bit, but I don’t feel like this is a team that requires a pretzel gameplan.

In our two head-to-head matchups this season, we won by 3 at their place, and held a 7 point lead at our place until a late-game defensive TD put it away. Two close games – this is pretty reminiscent of last year’s situation with Dodge City. And against them, they gave us our toughest challenge of all in the playoffs in round three. We expect a tough one here.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:51 PM   #550
QuikSand
lolzcat

Curiosity Note

Interestingly, with the season finale this week, CHE got its win, but Hell Creek (piloted by veteran QB Skip Peterson) lost. As a result, there’s now a new name atop the “Quarterback Comparison” for the league:

So, not that career winning percentage is the gold ring for a QB or anything, but now Sedor claims that title as well. First two seasons netted only a 17-15 mark, but since then, the team has basically been lights-out, posting 14, 15, and 14 regular season wins, and (so far) going 4-1 in the playoffs. And Sedor has been in the saddle for every game so far.