Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-19-2005, 09:02 AM   #1
jetpunk2000
Waterboy Forever

Gamefly

I saw a reference to it in the Blockbuster thread. Did a search, but nothing real current came up. I saw that FBPro was using it about a year and a half ago. Anyone else used it since? How is the service compared to Netflix. I just got a Netflix subscription for Christmas and I love it. Just wish they had the games.

jetpunk2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 09:40 AM   #2
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I would recommend checking out Blockbuster.com (as stated in the other thread). It's on'y $14.99 a month and you get two free rental coupons a month that can be used at your local blockbuster for movies or games. Given the new "swag time" on returning games, you can keep them for 7-10 days. Plus, it's easier to get the newer games at Blockbuster than it would be on some mail-order service.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:59 AM   #3
jetpunk2000
Waterboy Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles
I would recommend checking out Blockbuster.com (as stated in the other thread). It's on'y $14.99 a month and you get two free rental coupons a month that can be used at your local blockbuster for movies or games. Given the new "swag time" on returning games, you can keep them for 7-10 days. Plus, it's easier to get the newer games at Blockbuster than it would be on some mail-order service.

OK, but that would probably cause me to cancel nexflix because I certainly don't have the need or the time to have 6 movies out at a time. My question then is, how is the library with the Blockbuster thing? The reason I really dig Netflix is because I can basically order any TV show DVD set and I know that Blockbuster, in store anyway, has a very limited selection of these.
jetpunk2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 10:23 AM   #4
Arles
Grey Dog Software

They say they have like 30,000 movies in. I would go to Blockbuster.com and explore the different movies they have. I would say the selection is pretty much the same as NetFlix.
Old 02-19-2005, 01:20 PM   #5
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpunk2000
I saw a reference to it in the Blockbuster thread. Did a search, but nothing real current came up. I saw that FBPro was using it about a year and a half ago. Anyone else used it since? How is the service compared to Netflix. I just got a Netflix subscription for Christmas and I love it. Just wish they had the games.

I've been using it for a year and a half, and I absolutely love it. The main thing is, at the moment, I believe their only distribution center is in Inglewood, CA, so if you're in NY, the turnaround time on receipt and delivery of games is likely to be a fair bit higher than it is for me, living in southern CA. They are working on expanding the number of distribution centers available, so that will hopefully not be an issue for too very much longer.

The big thing I like about Netflix is the "Keep It" feature. Yeah, there's the customary "X number of games out at one time with unlimited new rentals per month for the same price," that's pretty awesome, but I like that they have pretty sweet discounts for GameFly members if they choose to keep the games they're currently playing.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 02:06 PM   #6
FBPro
College Starter

I am still using Gamefly and it works well, get 2 rentals at a time and also get reduced purchase prices if we want to keep the one's we have or others. There is never more than a couple of days wait that I can remember even when it says it isn't available immediately. Overall a good service for games.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 11:36 AM   #7
Bee
Pro Starter

Just joined gamefly...been a netflix member for years. It kind of stinks that the only distribution center is in California, but it probably matters less for games than it does for movies. I'm expecting to keep the average game for a couple weeks, where a movie is typically sent back within a couple days of receiving it. The "keep it" option looks pretty nice although I doubt I'll be using it much. They also have PSP games, which will be nice since I'll probably be picking one of those up for my commute.

Last edited by Bee : 04-04-2005 at 12:27 PM.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 11:44 AM   #8
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
The big thing I like about Netflix is the "Keep It" feature. Yeah, there's the customary "X number of games out at one time with unlimited new rentals per month for the same price," that's pretty awesome, but I like that they have pretty sweet discounts for GameFly members if they choose to keep the games they're currently playing.

I don't know how that slipped past me the first time around, but obviously I meant GameFly and not Netflix in the first sentence.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:43 PM   #9
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I would strongly advise not signing up with Blockbuster. Despite the lower price and free coupons, the selections are terrible, particularly for the TV shows sets you mention. When I cancelled my Blockbuster account just two weeks ago, I had 50 movies in my queue and a staggering 45 had a short wait or long wait. Right now I have 238 movies in my Netflix queue and only one is listed with a short wait.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 04-04-2005 at 01:34 PM.
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 12:50 PM   #10
Vince
Pro Starter

I agree with Sack and FBPro. I started Gamefly a couple of months ago, and it's been great. Highly recommended!
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 01:06 PM   #11
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421
I would strongly advise not signing up with Blockbuster. Despite the lower price and free coupons, the selections is terrible, particularly for the TV shows sets you mention. When I cancelled my Blockbuster account just two weeks ago, I had 50 movies in my queue and a staggering 45 had a short wait or long wait. Right now I have 238 movies in my Netflix queue and only one is listed with a short wait.
Yeah, I've noticed this as well (months after joining). The wait on "non-new release" movie titles can be a while. It's the biggest knock on the program I've seen.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:32 PM   #12
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Here's a couple of reviews on the online movie sites:

http://www.fstop-blues.com/2005/04/u...al-review.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/31/te...&ex=1112936400
Old 04-04-2005, 03:24 PM   #13
TRO
College Prospect

I've cancelled my GameFly membership, 6-8 days there and 6-8 days back doesn't cut it for me. I don't expect next day living in Kansas City, but I consider that much too long.

I'm trying IGX now, but I think the shipping will again be an issue. The main benefit of IGX is that I can also rent classic games.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:57 PM   #14
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRO
I've cancelled my GameFly membership, 6-8 days there and 6-8 days back doesn't cut it for me. I don't expect next day living in Kansas City, but I consider that much too long.

I'm trying IGX now, but I think the shipping will again be an issue. The main benefit of IGX is that I can also rent classic games.

Wow, that's twice as long as my friends here in DC. They usually get them in 3 days after shipping (sometimes it's 4).
Old 04-04-2005, 05:11 PM   #15
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRO

The problem, of course, is that you're on the wrong side of the border.

Everybody knows you'll never see a more wretched hive of scum and villainy than the state of Kansas.

Old 04-04-2005, 05:14 PM   #16
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Everybody knows you'll never see a more wretched hive of scum and villainy than the state of Kansas.

I should check this out sometime though. It's gotta be cheaper than my current strategy of staying away from playing console games for 6 months and then going on a buying spree only to stop playing again a week later.

Phantom Dust is my current console addiction.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 05:46 PM   #17
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis

Sorry, sorry, force of habit.

no, really, I didn't send a donation to Bucknell.

sure was tempted, though...

Quote:
Phantom Dust is my current console addiction.

I keep hearing that one pop up in conversation. I should track it down (just as soon as I finish God of War...)
Old 04-04-2005, 11:18 PM   #18
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Phantom Dust is amazing...look for me on XBLive, my 'tag is kingneb. I'm usually on anytime but the mornings
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 04:49 PM   #19
Bee
Pro Starter

Just a quick update. My games were shipped out on Monday evening and I got them today in the mail here in Northern Virginia. So 2 days for the shipping which is much better than I expected.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:14 PM   #20
SackAttack
Head Coach

GameFly sent me a CD today with 10 free downloads from the Sony Connect music service. I wonder if there's a way to make those iPod-compatible.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:15 PM   #21
SackAttack
Head Coach

Dola,

Bee, dammit, you better have signed up for Gamefly via the free trial we have at Gamenikki.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:35 PM   #22
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnebwsu
Phantom Dust is amazing...look for me on XBLive, my 'tag is kingneb. I'm usually on anytime but the mornings

I've never used XBox Live, but this game is definitely making me consider the jump.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 07:54 PM   #23
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Quote:
The problem, of course, is that you're on the wrong side of the border.

Truer words have never been spoken
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 08:43 PM   #24
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis
I've never used XBox Live, but this game is definitely making me consider the jump.

Yeah dude, XBL is awesome. I've been playing the new SCell game. Take the free two-month trial and see how it goes. I could probably dig up a code if you need one. You won't have a headset, but you could at least play a bit. SCell isn't my type of game at all, but the multiplayer is absolutely brilliant. Seriously. The two SCell online games have been two of the most innovative online games EVER! Phantom Dust has rec'd some kickass PT from me lately. Like 32 hours in 10 days. Do the math...ugh...don't do the math

Drop me a PM if you ever wanna play PDust/SCell 3
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 07:57 AM   #25
wade moore
lolzcat

Josh - do you still have a free trial link? Couldn't find it on gamenikki.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 03:07 PM   #26
wade moore
lolzcat

bump again, had to take out of the archive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 03:29 PM   #27
SackAttack
Head Coach

Sure, wade. Let me get it for you.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:32 PM   #28
SackAttack
Head Coach

http://www.gamefly.com/ads/a.asp?a=gnik101

There ya go.

(I think http://www.gamefly.com/ads/a.asp?a=gnik102 also works, but I'm not sure.)